Why Me? Part 2

Printer-friendly version
Why Me?

by Tanya Allan

 
Chris Drewett, a teenage transsexual, is caught dressing in his sister’s clothes by his mother. Faced with a problem she can’t deal with, she turns to her sister-in law, a doctor who practices nearby, and she starts Chris on an amazing and very surprising journey.

A gentle tale of teenage angst and discovery, and of relationships and conflicts. Where sexual awakenings cause confusion and tears as well as joy and lasting friendships.


Tanya has a new website where she will display her latest works first and then to BigCloset TopShelf a few weeks later is here at Tanya Allan's Tales .
Tanya's Book Shop where she is selling her works in book form is at http://tanyaallan.authorshaunt.com/shop.php . Please Visit!


 
The Legal Stuff: Why Me?  © 2009,2010 Tanya Allan
 
This work is the property of the author, and the author retains full copyright, in relation to printed material, whether on paper or electronically. Any adaptation of the whole or part of the material for broadcast by radio, TV, or for stage plays or film, is the right of the author unless negotiated through legal contract. Permission is granted for it to be copied and read by individuals, and for no other purpose. Any commercial use by anyone other than the author is strictly prohibited, and may only be posted to free sites with the express permission of the author.
 
This work is fictitious, and any similarities to any persons, alive or dead, are purely coincidental. Mention is made of persons in public life only for the purposes of realism, and for that reason alone. Certain licence is taken in respect of medical procedures, terms and conditions, and the author does not claim to be the fount of all knowledge.
 
The author accepts the right of the individual to hold his/her (or whatever) own political, religious and social views, and there is no intention to deliberately offend anyone. If you wish to take offence, that is your problem.

 
This is only a story, and it contains adult material, which includes sex and intimate descriptive details pertaining to genitalia. If this is likely to offend, then don’t read it.
 
Please enjoy.
Tanya

 
 

Part 2

 
 
 
Chapter 3
 
 
The weekend went very quickly. I dressed in jeans and a tee shirt, but with a bra and a little makeup, and we did everything we always used to. It was just I was a girl, but little else had changed in our relationship.

“What is going to happen at school?” he asked me, on the Sunday, before he was about to cycle home.

I shrugged.

“I don’t know. I may have to go back to Fromley Hall, but it will be a nightmare to pretend to be a boy.”

“It might be fun, in a way. It isn’t everyone who has their girlfriend at an all boys’ school with them,” he said and leered at me.

“What’s this about being your girlfriend?”

“Sorry, it was the first thing that came into my head. Do you mind that much?”

“Not that much. But it would have been nice to have been asked.”

“Well, I figured that neither of us have much of a choice. So, as my friend, and a girl, will you be my girlfriend?”

I immediately thought of my mother and the doctors. It dawned on me that I was racing to a conclusion that might not be what I was destined to be. It had been exciting and fun, but reality kicked in.

“Don’t get too serious. I have enough to worry about. I don’t think it would be right, do you, honestly?”

“I suppose,” he said.

“Look, it may be that I’m just a screwed up boy, and end up being gay or something. I may look and behave like a girl, but I have to let the doctors do their work. WE had a good time, but I don’t think we should get silly.”

He nodded, but I could tell he wasn’t convinced. Heck, I was confused, so it was little wonder he was too.

I waved as he rode off on his bike.

“Well, how was that?” Mum asked me.

“Okay I guess. I think he thinks he is in love with me,” I said.

“I could see that he was surprised from the moment he walked in, but I think that he fell for you.”

“Mum, don’t be gross!”

“Christina, you blur all the edges, the poor boy just doesn’t know where he is, and you have confused the hell out of him.”

“Am I going to have to go back to Fromley?”

“I don’t see an alternative. I’ve tried several schools, and they are all unable to take you, especially when I told them you have a confidential medical problem. I’ve also looked into home schooling, and to be honest, it’s not practicable without knowing when everything is going to happen. We’ll have to wait and see what Mr Sweeney can do for you. You have the first meeting with the Psychologist tomorrow morning, you remembered that, didn’t you?”

“Yes, I remembered,” I said.

The psychologist was called Janice Robertson. She was a very nice woman, who could best be described as ‘round’. She wore dark red clothes and looked permanently happy.

We sat and chatted, so I was able to relax. Mum advised me to dress casually, so I wore jeans and a tee shirt, no bra and no makeup. Besides, Shelly was home again, and Dad was due to fly home in a couple of days.

Janice called me Christina, and treated me as a girl from the outset. The first appointment was only an hour, but it flew past. I found myself just telling her everything, as she listened and made a few notes.

I returned each week, and each time felt happy to talk to her. I told her about Bruce, how I felt when Jamie looked at me, and she smiled, making some notes.

She really helped me deal with my gender identity. From the outset she accepted me as a girl, so I now saw myself as a girl all the time, even when I was supposed to be a boy! She told me how to deal with it like acting. She suggested that I could know for certainty that I was a girl, but in order to trick the world, I had to play a part, and act out the role of a boy.

I tried it with the family, and it worked. I got a real kick out of it. Mum smiled when she saw what was going on.

The tests still hadn’t come back, so I had to go back to school. We’d tried everything, but there was no alternative. I was dreading it, as my breasts had grown a little in the holidays. Still, they weren’t so big as to draw attention to them, and the Christmas term was the rugger term, so hopefully I wouldn’t have to be naked too much. It was wearing boys’ clothes all the time that I wasn’t looking forward to.
 
 
My school was just outside Windsor. It was a preparatory school for boys aged between eight and thirteen, and I was going back for my final year. It was set in lovely grounds and had been an old country house many years before. Mum dropped me off and helped me carry my stuff into the main hall. I checked a notice board and found that I had been made a prefect, and was placed in one of the junior dormitories to supervise the youngsters.

There were over 100 boys in the school, and there were fifteen prefects. My academic record and cup-winning prowess in the swimming sports meant I was prefect material.

I was also pleased, as the eight-year olds all went to bed before me, so I never had to dress or undress in front of them. My bed was partly screened from then, so it gave me some extra privacy.

Once I stowed my clothes, I kissed my Mum goodbye.

“Hang in there, darling, I will contact you as soon as I hear from Mr Sweeney, so be patient.”

“I will. I hope it’s soon,” I said.

I waved her away and went looking to find anyone I knew. I heard a noise and looked round and found a little new-boy sitting on the floor crying, as he was already home-sick. I bent down and touched him on the shoulder.

“Hi, it’s horrid at first. But you will be fine soon. What is your name?”

“Simon, Miss.”

I laughed, and remembered to get back into boy role.

“I’m not a Miss! My name is Chris, and I’m a boy here, just like you.”

He looked up at me.

“You sound and look like a lady,” he said, forgetting to cry.

“Well, let’s just keep that a secret, shall we?”

I got him up off the floor, and took him to the junior common room. I handed him over to one of the second years to look after.

“That was neatly done, young Drewett,” said the head’s voice.

I spun round, and noticed Mr Rogers had been watching me.

“Sir, he looked so miserable. I couldn’t just leave him.”

“I agree, and you did it very nicely. Come into my study please, I want to talk to you.”

I followed him into his study.

“Sit down.”

I sat.

“Your mother has written to me. Did you know that?”

“No sir.”

“Well, she explains a few of your medical difficulties.”

“Oh!”

“Oh, indeed. This is all rather difficult for you. How long has it been going on?”

“All my life, but with puberty happening, it’s all a bit trying.”

“Quite. I appreciate the honesty, your mother’s letter explains the problem about not knowing, and this must be the worst part.”

“Sir, what exactly did she write?”

“Here, read it yourself,” he said, and handed it over to me.

She had been completely honest, but missed out about the fact that I actually dressed as a girl. She said that I was psychologically more female, and was developing along similar lines physically. Then she explained the medical tests and possible outcomes.

I gave it back.

“I only just read it, so came looking for you. But having witnessed the last little incident, I am happy to let things lie for the time being. If you turn out to be a girl, then your place in the school will be under threat, you understand that?”

“Yes sir.”

“It would be a shame, but we can’t suddenly cater for one girl.”

“No sir.”

“As it happens there is a possibility that the school may go co-ed in the future, but I’m not sure that the governors are ready to make that sort of decision yet.”

“No sir.”

“I don’t intend to make this general knowledge. But I will inform some of the staff, so that as far as sports and games generally, you are excused on medical grounds.”

“Even swimming?”

“Even swimming. I am sorry, but if you are developing as a girl, I can hardly have you traipsing about topless, now, can I? And if I let you wear a bikini, what will the other boys say?” he asked, with a smile.

“I see.”

“Look, I’m sorry, but we will say that you have a back problem, and that will do the trick.”

“Yes sir.”

He looked at me closely.

“Do I detect your ears have been pierced?”

“Yes sir.”

“Then no earrings here, please, girl or not, it is a rule.”

“Yes sir.”

He smiled.

“Now, as you know, there is always a play in the Christmas term, and the top form will perform it. I will ask Mr Harris to ensure that you will be selected to be the leading lady. At least you can wear them then.”

I smiled.

“Thank you, sir.”

“Okay, now off you go, and keep me informed. If you feel unwell or need to talk, then Mary or I will be here for you.”

“Thanks sir. That makes it a bit easier.”
 
 
I left his study and stopped. I was completely dumfounded, as I had never expected the Head to be quite so understanding and practical. It made me feel much happier. I found everyone lining up for tea. They lined up in the main hall, with the senior forms on the right, nearest the dining room, and the junior forms on the left. The prefects stood at the front, facing the class lines. There were ten tables of ten, and the prefects sat at the head and tail of each table to keep order. There was a staff table, which at lunch time was where the prefects sat, and the staff members sat with the boys.

Bruce saw me and grinned at me.

I went and stood beside him. He was a prefect too.

“Hi,” I said.

“Good to see you. Are you okay?”

“I’d rather be in a dress, but I’m fine,” I said quietly.

“You still look like a girl pretending to be a boy,” he said, so I smiled and told him about the new boy.

The gong sounded, and the senior tables were filled first. I was to sit on the junior table, so had ten new boys to supervise. Bruce was seated several tables up. And the routine of school got underway.

In the first week, I was called ‘Miss’ four times by different new boys, so it became a bit of a joke. But although embarrassed, I secretly enjoyed it, as it confirmed to me my true gender. It took all my efforts and concentration to keep up the difficult task of pretending to be a boy. As time went by, the task seemed to become more difficult, particularly as my breasts really started to grow. I was grateful to be excused games.

I found that I no longer cared to be one of the pack, and started to really work hard. I soon started to excel in all my subjects, which was immediately apparent. Mr Harris, our English teacher, selected me to be the leading lady in a play set in the 1920s America. I was to play a nightclub singer called Lulubelle Lafayette, who had a real southern drawl in the script.

Lulubelle was the witness to a shooting of a gangland boss by some of his men, and the police and the rest of the gang wanted to catch those responsible. She was used as a pawn by the gang, until she got fed up, and decided to turn the tables on them and went to work for the police and helped the police Lieutenant to catch the gang in the act of smuggling illegal booze into Chicago.

There were three sets, the night club, the police headquarters, and the warehouse where all the booze was kept. My part was brilliant, and was the biggest by far. Mr Harris told me later that he hadn’t intended to use this play, because the female leads were normally unpopular in an all boys’ school, but after being spoken to by the head, he relented, and I was given the best part.
 
 
Bruce was behaving oddly, but I knew what was happening. He didn’t like me being a boy, and he felt frustrated and took it out on me. He was sullen and moody, and really started to piss me off.

One day, when the rest of the boys were out playing rugby, he and I were alone in the form room. He had done his ankle in, so was off games for a week.

“Okay Bruce, come on, tell me why you are so bloody moody?” I said.

“I don’t know what you mean,” he said.

“Don’t give me that. You’ve hardly spoken to me since we’ve been back, you always look so unhappy. I thought you and I were supposed to be friends.”

He looked at me, and his face started to crumple. But he controlled himself.

“You don’t know what it is like. Having you here, knowing that you should be a girl, and not being able to touch you and do what we did in the holidays.”

I blew my stack.

“What the hell do you think I feel like? Have you for one moment thought about what I’m going through? Stuck in this hell hole with prepubescent boys all calling me ‘Miss’!” I almost yelled at him, and he looked shocked with the ferocity of my words.

We stared at each other for a few moments.

“No, I don’t know what it must be like for you. You’re right, I’m being selfish. I’m sorry.”

I looked at him, wondering whether he was being sarcastic.

He stood up and walked over to the window, and looked out.

“I thought we’d be able to carry on like we did in the holidays, and we can’t. You seem so grown up, I almost feel you are growing away from me, and it frightens me. You’re so controlled and just so pretty, and I hear the other boys calling you names behind your back. I can’t say anything because then they’d turn on me, and I feel cowardly. I thought I was in love with you, but I think you just excited me, as now I’m just confused.”

He turned back to face me.

“You’re a wonderful person, and I just can’t cope with having you so close and yet so far away. What do we do?”

I looked at him, and saw tears form in his eyes.

“Bruce, what were we before you thought that I was really a girl?”

“Best friends, why?”

“Then let’s stay best friends. We were both exploring something new, so we will never lose what we had, but we change, and things are different. We’re both too young to start getting silly, and I need a friend, I don’t have many. I don’t want a boyfriend - I just want a friend. Pretend I’m not a girl inside, just for a while. Will you be that for me at least?”

He smiled, and a little black cloud seemed to drift away. We shook hands.

“Friends?” he asked.

“Friends. And who knows, sometime in the future, we may even be something more, but neither of us can see that far.”

He grinned.

“Now, what do they say behind my back?”

“Just that you are very girly and gay.”

“Well, you and I know different, don’t we?”

“Yup! And I will tell them next time.”

“Bruce, I’m not bothered about the girly, just the gay bit hurts, okay?”

“Okay.”
 
 
Things came to a head a few days later.

It was in the evening, and three boys from my year group were playing a board game called RISK. It was a world domination game involving armies and was a favourite amongst most of my form.

I watched as they set up and asked, “Can I play?”

“What do you want to play for, this is a boys’ game?” asked Douglas Evans. I had never liked him. I liked him even less now.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked, feeling hurt.

“Well, look at you, you’re more like a girl than a boy,” he said, nastily.

One of the others, Steven Morgan, pulled his sleeve.

“Leave it out, he’s not doing any harm.”

“Even if I was a girl, why should that make any difference to you?” I said, I could feel the anger boiling up inside me.

Douglas glared at me.

“You’re just a little queer, so go away!”

I glared back. I heard someone enter the room behind me, but I didn’t turn round, I just went right up to Douglas, so our faces were inches apart.

“And you are a pathetic bigot! If you were the last person alive, I wouldn’t cross the road to give you the time of day. Remember this moment, because you may regret being such a bastard!” I said, and turned and walked out past the headmaster who had witnessed most of the exchange.

I heard him say, “Evans, my study, now!”

I was called in later and Douglas was forced to apologise to me. Not that it would make any difference, as now he would hate me forever. I sensed the feeling was mutual, but at least I knew he would not be so blatant with his behaviour.
 
 
Life improved, and one day towards the end of September, I was supervising the juniors in a reading period when the headmaster called for me.

I went, heart thumping. I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong, so it must me the medical test results.

I was right, for my mother was in the headmaster’s study.

“Hello darling, how are you?” Mum said.

“Fine. It’s the test results, isn’t it?”

“Yes. I have to take you to see Mr Sweeney immediately.”

“Gosh, that serious?”

“Yes. He wants to do some emergency surgery on you. He did tell me, but it was all so complicated. The important thing is that whatever is to be done should be done very soon. Apparently the few male bits you have may be nasty!”

The head was very understanding, so I was sitting in the car being driven home within ten minutes. The only things I had with me were my wash bag and the script for the play.
 
 
I went straight to the hospital, where Mr Sweeney was waiting for me. He beamed a huge smile at me, grinning at my schoolboy uniform of grey flannel trousers, grey shirt, blue tie and blue blazer.

“Very smart, but not really appropriate any more,” he said. I was unable to ask him why. They took me to a small room. There was one bed in it and a hospital gown waiting for me.

“Get undressed and slip the gown on. We have some tests to do, and tomorrow we need to get you sorted out.”

I did as he asked, but was getting rather worried. I was told to lie on the bed, so the nurse came and took two syringe loads of blood. Mr Sweeney came back, and sat next to me on the bed. Mum was nowhere in sight.

“Right young lady, let’s get some things clear. You can forget being a boy, as from now, you are a girl, okay?”

“A girl?”

“Is that clear?” he asked.

I nodded, not sure whether to be pleased or not.

“I will tell you why in a moment, but first, I need to just check you out!”
 
 
He examined me again, concentrating on my genitalia. He looked briefly at my budding breasts, but just smiled.

He gave me a rectal examination. Although he was gentle, I didn’t like it much.

Pulling the rubber gloves off, he told me to pull the gown back on.

“Okay, that’s fine. Well, Christina, the tests have come back, and I have some shocks for you, or perhaps they’re not. But given the fact you’ve been brought up as Christopher, things are definitely going to have to change.

“Okay, let’s list what you are. You, my girl, are a normal genetic female. That is, you have double X chromosomes. You are also producing a high level of oestrogen, and boys just don’t produce the quantity you are. That tells me that you have the means to produce female hormones, and as you are doing so, this means that you have active ovaries, and that possibly naturally lead me to suspect that you may be able to produce ova, that is to say - female eggs. You have begun puberty, which has set all this off, and as a girl not a boy.

“My examination just now confirms certain things. You have what feels like a vaginal tunnel, exactly where it should be, and that what everyone thought were boy’s bits, the testes, may not even be that. I think they are excess tissue items that look as if they are left behind from foetal development. The skin over them, which appears to be a scrotum and part of the penis, is just that, skin. You don’t have a full penis, just an enlarged clitoris.”

I stared at him. He had lost me completely.

He smiled, patiently.

“”Let me explain. When you were developing inside your mother’s tummy, you went through what every baby does, you developed two sets of sexual characteristics. Now, the vast majority of babies lose one set completely, and develop fully as either a little boy or a little girl. You were the same right up to the point of losing one set.

“Only you never lost all the male ones when you should have done. They nearly went, but some bits got left behind. That made you look like a little boy. So, when you were born, the doctors and nurses assumed you were a boy, as did your parents. In fact, I think you have everything that matters inside you, and have always been a girl, but because of that silly bit of skin, they sexed you wrongly at birth.”

“So, I was right, I’ve always been a girl?”

“Absolutely. Your specific case is quite rare, but not unknown, and six or seven in every million suffers something like this.”

“So what happens now?”

“Well, I have spoken to your mother, and she has signed the consent forms. I want to put right the mistakes that nature made, and I want to make you into the little girl you have always wanted to be.”

I burst into tears of pure joy and hugged the poor doctor so hard, I almost suffocated him.

He managed to prise me off, and once I had stopped laughing and crying, he explained the plan.

“I will do the operation tomorrow morning, so I need you not to eat or drink anything from now on. In fact, they will give you something to clear out your bowel and urinary tract, so we can work without the worry of all kinds of nasty stuff getting in the way.”

He got a pen and an old envelope and started to draw.

“The first thing I will do is gently explore what you have down there. Once I know exactly what you have and what you’re missing, I can get to work. By using the skin you have, I will create a perfect opening to your vagina. Now, I promise that this should quite easy, as long as what I suspect is inside is indeed there. After the scars heal, you won’t be able to tell the difference between you and any other girl!

“Then, I will get rid of anything that is unnecessary or dangerous, as some of the useless tissue may just be prone to cancer. I think you should be okay, but it’s better to be safe. Once I can see what you have, I will be in a better position to make any adjustments as you may require. Sometimes some of the vaginal channel or uterus is missing, so we will just have to see.”

“Will I be able to have babies?” I asked.

“I don’t know, honestly. I will have to see whether your ovaries are fully fertile. But if they are, I see no reason why not. You have a female pelvis, so all you need is a boyfriend,” he joked.

He went out, and Mum came back with the nurse. The latter gave me some horrid stuff to drink, and a couple of pills.

“Mum, I’m a girl!”

“I know sweetie. I just have to work out how to explain this to Daddy.”

I hadn’t thought about him much, but now I did, and my heart sank. I’d not given it a thought. I’d been so wrapped up in my problems, that dad didn’t come into the equation much. Mum stayed with me until it was very late, and then she gave me a kiss and went home. I dozed off, but I was too excited to sleep for long.

I was woken at about six, when the nurse took my temperature and blood pressure.

I was allowed to have a mouthful of water, as my mouth was very dry.

At eight, Mr Sweeney came to see me, and was very cheerful.

“Now, you have nothing to worry about. The anaesthetist will come to see you and ask some questions, and then I’ll see you on the table in about an hour, okay?”

I nodded. It all went so quickly.

An hour later I was lying on the trolley in the room outside the theatre. I watched as they put needles into my wrist, and cold liquid was put in, and I felt it go up my arm.

“Count to ten, Christina,” a voice said.

I got to eight, before everything went black.
 
 
Chapter 4
 
 
“Christina! Christina, come on girl, come back to us!”

I opened my eyes, and three strange heads floated above me.

“Hi, how are you?” said one of the heads.

“Wooosy!” I said, and went back to sleep.

I came round again, and there were two heads now. I felt the pain hit me, right between the legs!

“OOOOW!” I said.

“Well done. Is that a bit sore then, Christina?”

“OOOW! YES!”

“Morphine, five mills,” said the voice.

The pain slowly ebbed away.

“Christina, stay awake sweetie, I need you to stay awake,” said another voice. I recognised it as Mr Sweeney’s.

I opened my eyes.

“Good girl. What’s my name?”

“Sweeney,” I said.

“Well done. Okay, take her back to her room. I will see you in a little while, okay?”

I nodded, and watched the ceiling fly past as I lay on the trolley.

I woke up later in my bed in the room. Mum was sitting next to me, and to my surprise so was Daddy.

“Hello sweetie, how do you feel?” she said.

I moved my head, but a wave of nausea hit me, so the nurse held out a little bowl. I retched, but nothing came up.

“It’s the anaesthetic, it’s horrible,” said the nurse.

Mum held my hand, and I went back to sleep again.

I woke up, and the clock told me it was two hours later. Mum was gone but Daddy was in the chair reading the newspaper.

“Daddy?”

He looked up and smiled.

“How’s my girl?” he asked, a little uncertainly, I thought, but we both cried.

Mum came in to find us having a hug, both with tears streaming down our faces. Dad was saying over and over again, “I never knew!”

I gave Mum a hug as well, and they both sat down next to the bed.

“I called your headmaster and told him the news. You’ve put them in a real pickle, I can tell you!”

I smiled, but I couldn’t really have cared less. I was now a girl!

The nurse came in and checked various drips and took my temperature.

“Can I drink?”

“Yes, just a little at a time. Suck an ice cube, that’s nice.”

I drank a quarter of a small glass, and it was lovely, I was given an ice cube to suck, and she had been right, it was heavenly.

I felt less sick as the afternoon progressed, and by six pm I was chirpy. Dad didn’t say much, but he just smiled at me all the time. The nurse came and removed my catheter and took the dressing away. I was allowed to look, and although raw, it looked really great.

I got up and went to the loo, and sat there, amazed at what was now between my legs. Everything worked as it should, and I tottered back to bed.

The door opened and Mr Sweeney came in wearing his suit.

“How’s my girl?” he asked.

“Fine. I’m a little sore.”

He shook Daddy’s hand, and sat on my bed.

“Right, well, that was a lot better than it could have been. I was right, you had everything exactly where it should have been, and the small testes were nasty, so they’ve gone. They weren’t malignant, but had we left them much longer, they could have turned.

“I have built everything you need, and I have to say that now you are a perfectly normal young woman. Even to the point of being fertile. We tested your ovaries and you are fine, and fertile. You can also expect your first period within a few weeks, so we were none too soon.”

“The stitches are self dissolving, so take it easy for a few days, they will be gone in about a week, when I’ll see you again, just make sure everything is fine. You can have a bath tomorrow, but not too hot.

“And no sex for at least eight weeks,” he joked.

“What?” asked Daddy, suddenly shocked. I just grinned as Mr Sweeney winked at me.

“Just checking you were listening. Stay off school until I see you again, and then we shall see. Go for gentle walks, and no trousers for two weeks at least. I have given your mother some disposable knickers that are loose and won’t cause you discomfort. If there is any discharge, then they can be thrown away.”

“When can I go home?” I asked.

“Didn’t your mother tell you? Tomorrow morning.”

I didn’t believe him. I had visions of staying in for days, or even weeks.

“All I did was cut and fold back some skin, and then stitch it into place, removing some other surplus skin. Your clitoris is fine, and is just perfect in size and location. No, there is no doubt that you are a fine specimen of a girl. I was just waiting to make sure you were out of the clutches of the anaesthetic, and able to go to the loo.

“I have given your parents a letter, so that your birth certificate can be altered. As you are now legally female, as your gender at birth was wrongly recorded.”

My father gave me a hug, and went out to speak to the doctor alone. Mum helped me into my own nightie. Mum looked at my breasts, which had filled out a little since we had bought my last lot of clothes. My old bra would be too small now, so Mum told me we would go shopping soon. She brushed my hair for me, and I put on a little makeup.

“What was Daddy’s reaction when you told him?”

“Well, I called him in New York. I told him you had been rushed to hospital, and for him to get his arse back here. When he arrived I picked him up from Heathrow, and told him your story on the way down. He was somewhat shocked, so he is getting the run-down from the doctor now. But don’t worry, he’s fine with it.”

She put my old school clothes into a carrier bag.

“What will happen with school?” I asked.

“Let’s think about that later. Just you get a good night’s sleep and we’ll be back early in the morning.”

I sat back in bed, and Daddy came back in.

“My goodness you’re such a pretty girl. How the hell we missed it, I will never know.”

“I’m sorry Dad,” I said.

“Oh, sweetie, never ever say that again. It wasn’t your fault. You knew and we couldn’t help, and I am so sorry you suffered for so long.”

We had a family hug and I felt so smothered by their love, it almost took away all my pain.

The nurse came in and asked if I wanted some supper.

I chose some macaroni cheese, and when it arrived I ate it so fast that I could have managed another one. I was now allowed to drink properly, and I drank nearly two pints of cold water.

My parents left, and I spent all night feeling my new bits and going to the loo.
 
 
I was up and dressed by eight o’clock. I had eaten some cereal and toast, and was waiting sitting on my bed putting my makeup on when the nurse came in. I was wearing my denim skirt, no tights, because the baggy knickers had to be kept free, and a sweater. By old bra was a little tight, but I was obviously female, as I filled it to overflowing.

“Are you okay for a visit?” she asked.

I frowned, as my parents were due any minute to take me home.

“Okay. Who is it?” I asked.

The door opened and the headmaster and his wife stood there.

“Well, well look at you,” he said, and handed me a huge bouquet of flowers.

Mrs Rogers hugged me for the first time in my life.

“Your mother called us last evening. What a remarkable state of affairs, it’s rather like a fairy story,” she said.

“All it needs is a handsome prince,” I said, and they both laughed.

“We have spoken to the governors, and there is a special meeting in two days. As your fees have been already paid, I have asked for you to be allowed to continue your education at the school. If they agree, you will have to go into your own room, and there is one down by Matron’s, with a ladies bathroom. But it seems a shame to discriminate against you because of an accident at birth.

“We are trying to encourage the governors to go for a co-ed option, so we can survive the changes that are coming over the next twenty years or so. Your case will go a long way to prove that girls can survive perfectly well in our school,” Mr Rogers explained.

“Not only survive, but thrive and excel. Your academic achievements and swimming skills are remarkable, and if you consider you were always a girl, you deserve a special prize,” said Mary Rogers.

I was speechless. I never imagined being offered the possibility to stay on at school. I never even dreamed I would want to. I found myself moved by these two wonderful people. However, as I thought about it, being the only girl among a hundred boys was a very daunting thought.

“Anyway, the governors may decide against it, so our hopes may come to nothing. We just wanted to know how important you are to us and the school.”

“Thanks,” I managed to mutter.

The door opened again, and my parents stood there.

Daddy greeted the Rogers, who were surprised to see him.

They explained everything that they had said to me, and both my parents were as stunned as I had been.

They kissed me gently on the cheeks and departed, leaving me standing there with a huge bunch of flowers.

“That was nice of them,” said mother, the mistress of the understatement.

Daddy drove us home, and I sat there, feeling free for the first time in my life. It had been fun dressing up, but I had always felt guilty and a bit dirty somehow. It had always been as if I was doing something wrong, and was breaking some unwritten rule somewhere.

We arrived at the house, and I carefully walked inside. I was very tender, and Mum made me lie down on the sofa, with my feet up.

It was lovely being waited on, so I felt like a pampered princess. I was also very tired, as hospitals are not somewhere one sleeps very well. I dozed off after lunch, and slept all afternoon.

I had to get up at about six as I had a full bladder. I managed to sit at the dining room table and enjoyed the first dinner with both my parents together for ages.

I went to bed early, as I still felt tired and a little weird. I snuggled down in my familiar bed, and both my parents came to say goodnight.

“We’ll put any clothes you no longer want into a bag and give them to a second hand shop,” said Mum, and I grinned.

She kissed me, and left me with my Daddy.

He sat on my bed, and held my hand.

“I’m sorry that I’ve never been here for you, Christina. I was so tied up with my job I lost sight of what was really important. Now I know, and so I’ll try to be at home when ever you need me to be.”

“It’s not so much me, Daddy, its Mum, she needs you all the time.”

He looked at me, and I saw his eyes go all soft and damp.

“I know, that’s why I’m looking to change my job.”

“Daddy, the money doesn’t matter. You’re missing everything by being away.”

He laughed. “So, the child becomes the parent? They told me this would happen, and I missed most of the child bit.”

“Promise me, Daddy, promise me that you’ll get a job close to home?”

“I promise, sweetie, I promise.”

I hugged him, and he left me alone. I touched myself, just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming, and fell asleep with a smile on my face.
 
 
I had a warm bath in the morning, and it was super. I stared at the new me, and almost got the giggles, I was so happy.

I went down to breakfast to find that Daddy had gone off to talk Shell UK about a change in job. I could tell Mum was worried, as he may have to leave and look for a different job. If he did that, the high salary would be gone, and my schooling may go down the tubes.

I was a bit more energetic, but still rather sore, so I pottered about the house. We went through my wardrobe, and apart from a couple of tee shirts, everything else went into a bag for Oxfam. We went down to the kitchen, and Mum showed me how to make pastry, and I made my first apple pie.

As I put it in the oven, Mum watched me with a smile on her face.

“What?” I asked.

“It’s so strange, it is as if you have always been a girl.”

“I have, but no one believed me.”

We had a cuddle.

“Have you told Rob and Shelly yet?”

“No. I will go down to Shelly’s school and tell her, and Rob is home the weekend after next.”

“I’m not looking forward to seeing him again,” I said.

“He’ll understand. You’ll see.”

“Bollocks!”

“Christina!”

“Well, he’s always been a real sod. He made my life hell at school, and I can’t see him changing now.”

“Do you feel up to going shopping tomorrow?”

“Yeah, that’d be cool.”

“Right, go and make a list.”
 
 
Daddy came home after lunch, looking rather gloomy. Shell did not want to change his position, as he was so good at what he did. They had given him an ultimatum, either do the job he already had or leave.

“What will you do?” I asked.

He shrugged.

“I want to be at home, but I am afraid that if I leave, then I’ll not be able to get another job. I’m good at what I do, I don’t know if I could do anything different.”

“Why not set yourself up as a consultant or something, and teach others how to do your job?” Mum asked.

“Hmm, possible. I will go and speak to my friend Reg. He left the company last year, and he now works as a consultant. I’ll give him a ring,” he said, and went to do just that.

I went and had a nap in the afternoon. Aunt Eileen and Uncle Keith, dropped in for tea. They seemed so pleased, and Eileen gave me a big hug.

“I knew Jonathon would sort you out. So how is my new niece?”

“Happy. Thanks Aunty, you sorted me.”

“No, you knew since you were very little, and it took us dense adults too long to sort you out. I am just thrilled that you are now the person you should always have been.”

They stayed for supper, and I loved being treated as a grown up, and a grown up girl at that.

I felt quite tired and had an early bed after supper. Uncle Keith and Daddy had a long meaningful chat about careers, and Daddy was a little happier, as Reg wanted to see him while Mum and I were to go shopping in the morning.
 
 
The week went quite quickly. I learned all my lines from the play, as it was something to do, even if I never got to play Lulubelle. Dad met his friend, and was talked into resigning from Shell. He went to work with Reg, and was immediately hired by a competitor, BP, as a consultant, to train people to do the job he had been doing for Shell.

He was based fifteen miles away, and only occasionally had to travel overseas. Even the money was almost the same.

Mum received a letter from the board of Governors for Fromley Hall, asking whether I would be willing to pilot a scheme for girls at the school.

Owing to the fact that I had already completed more than four years at the school, and although I was still the same person, it was important to know whether the school curriculum was sufficiently diverse to be appropriate for young girls as well as boys.

Eight other girls, of which three were daughters of new staff members, would be joining me, if I agreed, so I would not be the only girl in the school. One was my age, while the others were younger. But it was important for the pilot to have a spread through the school.

Special toilet and changing facilities were being looked at, and it was felt that a girls’ house would be the best idea, using the old school caretaker’s house that was at present unoccupied. A temporary dormitory for girls was to be set up, and Mr Rogers put a personal plea for us to really consider it positively.
 
 
"…Christina is such a super child, it would be an enormous shame if this opportunity was missed, both for her and the school..."
 
 
I sat down with my parents and discussed the offer. The fact I saw the words, hers, written in respect of me, almost overwhelmed me.

In the end Daddy wrote accepting, as I was of a mind to finish what I had started, and I really wanted to do the play.
 
 
Mum went and brought Shelly home at the weekend, and she was dying to meet her new sister.

I was in my room when she got back, and she came running up, and screamed with delight when she saw me.

We hugged, and she said, “I knew it. All along I knew it. This is brilliant, now it is two girls against Rob.”

We had a lovely time together. We talked about clothes, make up and boys. When I told her I sort of had a boyfriend, she shrilled with laughter. It was great having her home and we became closer than ever.
 
 
I went to see Mr Sweeney, who hardly glanced at my bits.

“You are looking fine. Everything has healed nicely, have you had your period yet?”

I said I hadn’t, and he smiled.

“Well you have that little joy to look forward to. How old are you now?”

“I’ll be thirteen in February.”

“Fine. Then get your mother to talk to you about contraception in a year or so. Any pains, or problems?”

I shook my head, and just smiled.

“Good. My, you are certainly a pretty girl. If you are this pretty at twelve, God knows what you will be like at sixteen! Well, I’m done with you. Mind out for boys, they can be the very devil. Go and enjoy the rest of your life, my dear.”
 
 
I returned to Fromley Hall the next day, with an adapted uniform of a grey skirt and white blouse, with the pale blue sweater and dark blue girl’s blazer. I wore tights and low-heeled shoes. I had studs in both ears, but no makeup.

I arrived and went straight in to see the head. I was introduced to the other girls who had started the previous day. One girl, Louise, was the same age as me, and was in my form. Mr Rogers and his wife were great, and I heard the commotion of the lunch queue starting.

“Well, Miss Drewett, we told the school a brief history of your little problem, and that you were back as you should have always been. I suppose you had better join the school. Your table needs supervising.”

I walked into the hall with the other girls, and took my place with the other prefects. The room went so silent, and it was weird being stared at by so many boys at once.

“Well, haven’t you ever seen a girl before?” I asked, and there was some nervous laughter.

The gong went, and I sat in my usual place on the junior table. Sitting next to me was the new boy, Simon, whom I had found crying on his first day.

“I knew you were really a girl,” he said.

“So did I,” I said, and we laughed together.

I kept seeing Bruce staring at me, and I know he was trying to signal to me, but I ignored him. He hadn’t even phoned or anything. Let him stew, I thought.

“Do we call you ‘Miss’, or what?” one boy asked.

“I’m not a teacher, and my name is Christina. Okay?”

“Were you really a girl all the time as the headmaster said?”

“Yes, but I had a silly bit of skin which confused the doctors, but now it has gone, and I am what I should always have been.”

We finished the meal, and I was able to return to my form room for the afternoon reading period. There was always half an hour after lunch, just to allow food to be digested before games.

The others were very awkward around me, but at least I had Louise with me as moral support. Louise was a little shorter than me, but had the most amazing long red hair. I thought she was very pretty, but I didn’t count, as I was a girl too.

Douglas Evans was unable to meet my eyes, so I went over to him.

A sudden hush fell on the room, as our previous bad feelings for one another were well known. He was a big lad, about 5’ 9”, which for twelve is big. He was the number eight forward in the first XV, and was actually quite good looking, not that that bothered me in the slightest, or so I told myself.
 
 
Finally, he could not avoid looking at me. I had to look up at him, and wished I had high heels on.

“What?” he said belligerently. The form room emptied, and we were left alone.

“What do you think?” I asked, and I could hear the chill on my voice.

He looked me up and down.

“Okay, so you are a girl. I didn’t know. No one did.”

“I knew. And so what, should it matter? I still have feelings, or do you think that girls don’t have feelings?”

He reddened.

“Well?” I asked.

“I apologised at the time.”

“Yeah, only because the head made you.”

“What do you want from me, blood?”

“Okay, half a pint please,” I said, and despite himself he grinned.

“Seriously, what do you want?” he said.

“What do you think?”

He shrugged.

“Why are you so afraid of me?” I asked.

“I’m not,” he said, but couldn’t meet my eyes.

“Okay, you were though?”

He looked at the door, as if to check that no one was listening.

“Maybe, but it wasn’t like that.”

“What then?”

He looked uncomfortable. “You confused me.”

Oh God!, not another one! I thought.

“How?”

“How do you think?”

“You thought I looked too much like a girl?”

He nodded.

“And you fancied me a little, perhaps?”

He looked into my eyes. Then he nodded, almost imperceptibly.

“So, you took your confusion out on me by being bloody nasty, as if it was my fault you thought you might be gay?”

He stared at me in surprise, as I had just revealed his inner most secret thoughts.

“I’m not stupid, how do you think I felt? I thought I was a boy until quite recently. I knew deep down that I was a girl, but I thought I had a boy’s body. I haven’t anymore, and now I am a normal girl, we can both relax, as neither of us is gay. At least I know I’m not, I don’t know about you,” I said, and he almost smiled again.

“I’m not gay,” he said, quietly, but very firmly.

“How do you know?”

He didn’t reply, and went red again, unable to make eye contact.

“You sod, you still fancy me!” I stated, laughing, and this time he did smile, and it transformed his whole face. He really was very good looking.

“My God! With you and Bruce, what am I going to do with you lot?”

“Look, for what it is worth, I really am sorry. I was confused, and I didn’t understand anything,” he said, and I believed him.

“Okay, I forgive you. If I confuse you again, just come and talk to me about it, okay?”

He nodded.

“Friends?” I asked.

He looked sharply at me.

“You want me as a friend?”

“I want everyone as a friend! Don’t you want to be my friend?”

He nodded. “Of course I do, it is just, well, I thought you hated me?”

“I did, but only because you were really horrid to me. We’ve moved on, and if you are horrid to me again, I’ll kick you in the nuts,” I said, and he grinned.

“I’d like to be your friend,” he said, looking at me.

I held my hand out, and he looked at it for a moment, and then took it, and shook it. He held me firmly and didn’t want to let go.

“Can I have my hand back, please, Douglas?”

He let go as if burned, and I smiled.

“Friends?” I asked.

“Friends,” he said.

The door opened and the others filed back in, all giving us strange looks.

I sat at my old desk, and it was as if nothing had changed. Then I caught my reflection in the window and realised that everything had changed. I took out the script and went through my lines. I idly wondered who would play the police lieutenant.
 
 
The bell went, and the boys all rushed off to change. I was off games due to my operation, and Louise stayed with me. Bruce was hanging about so I excused myself, and went to see what he wanted.

“Look, Christina, I’m sorry I never called, but I was away as well. My gran died.”

I suddenly felt so guilty for being a bitch, so I hugged him.

“Put him down, Miss Drewett, you don’t know where he’s been,” said Mr Harris as he cycled past.

“She died the day before you went, and I was told just after you had gone. I went home, and the funeral was three days ago. I never got round to calling you. I am so sorry!”

“Oh Brucie, don’t be silly, I’m so sorry for you. Was it sudden or expected?”

“She hadn’t been well, but it still wasn’t expected.”

“Oh, I am sorry. I was so wrapped up in what was happening to me, I sort of didn’t think of anyone else. Please forgive me?”

“I never was cross, but I am pleased you are now what you should always have been.”

I sensed there was something else bothering him.

“Bruce, will you still be my best friend?”

He smiled, and the little cloud disappeared again.

“Of course, I thought you’d never ask.”

I kissed his cheek, and let him go and change for rugby.

I persuaded Louise to come with me to watch them play. A cool wind swept across the pitch, and we wore our coats. The leaves were changing, and I realised that it was now October. It had only been three months since my little drama started, and now I was who I wanted to be.
 
 
Bruce was in the first game, and from the thirty odd players, the first team would be selected each week. He was wearing a striped shirt, and they were playing against those in the plain blue shirts.

I shouted myself hoarse and screamed with delight when he scored a try. The rugby coach, Mr Cooper, who was also the geography master, smiled, and recognised that Bruce had extra moral support.

Bruce was like a demon possessed, and Louise laughed.

“He is showing off for you now. He wants to impress you.”

“Of course. They all do it, watch,” I said, and saw little Will Russell the scrum half.

“Go on, Will, go for it!” I screamed.

He looked at me in surprise, grinned, picked the ball up and made a good effort at getting past the opponents. He was squished, but got up and had another go.

I saw Douglas look my way, and his expression made my heart miss a beat!

“Go on Doug!” I shouted, and he picked up the ball and made for the opposing try line. Only to be tackled a few yards short.

“You try,” I said to Louise.

“I don’t know their names yet.”

“Pick one you fancy, and I’ll tell you his name.”

She watched for a few seconds.

“That one, the big one with the sticky-out ears. He’s cute.”

“That’s Andy.”

“Come on Andy! Let’s see you move!” Louise shouted, and he looked up in shock, grinned, and pushed the whole scrum over.

“Cor, they are like trained dogs,” she said, and we laughed until the tears came.

We continued this game for a while, just picking a few and shouting for them, and poor Mr Cooper had his work cut out with so many all playing so hard to impress us.
 
 
In the end, he told us to go bother the next game, as we were tiring his poor little boys out.

We wandered off, giggling.

I never thought being a girl would be such fun.
 
 

*          *          *

 
End of Part 2
 
 
To Be Continued...

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Why Me? Part 2

What a sweet story to read. She is a charmer, too.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A great little story and I

A great little story and I do love how the girls, even as young as they are, are finding out how and using their 'ways' to wrap the boys around their fingers. Louise's comment sums it up rather neatly, " Cor, they are like trained dogs". Jan

glad they helped her out

could have been a long year if she had been forced to stay a boy for long. I like how she stood up for herself.

DogSig.png

Like trained dogs

ALISON

I knew a couple of Rugby players who came into that category.Another great chapter Tanya.I don't know how you do it but you do it well.

ALISON

Why Me? is terrific

And the last bit of it was so true to teen girls, very funny!

Why me 2

nikkiparksy's picture

Sweet story liked this one a lot .Character development was good you had me routing for her from the start :) Loved it .

Well, apart from

A little case of Did Not Do The Research on either Tanya's or mine behalf (I always thought that during pregnancy the babies start as females for a couple of weeks, then males have an influx of hormones that pushes them to start forming male-typical forms, and not that we started as both and then differentiated) the story is very good!

But, it raises a technical question. Basically, as I know it males use muscles in penis to control the flow, unlike females, who use another set to do the same effect. And females have a smaller bladder - after all, the space is occupied by ovaries and uterus, right? - so how would these facts be affected by the presence of that extra piece of skin? What difference would it make?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

why me? continued

when will there be why me? part 3

Woof!

What a nice ending to this part - sitting back, watching the rugby players, and using newly-discovered feminine wiles to egg them on (together with her new friend Louise)!

The intersex trope was a bit of a curveball, but allows the tale to develop without the mental anguish of the transgendered (trying to keep their birth gender a secret whilst simultaneously trying to convince the medical establishment that they are mentally a girl - albeit with the wrong body)

The with the school now becoming co-ed, what a brilliant strategy to pilot the project with daughters of the staff in addition to Christina - it gives her an instant support network, lessens the chances of her being singled out for praise/abuse, and could be emulated by other schools (for example, a few decades later, a certain school up in Thurso [1]...)

 
[1] Topsy's "Tamara's Début"


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!