On grief

Printer-friendly version

On Grief

Life is full of disappointments. - some of these are very large - our trust is betrayed, our innocence is taken from us, our lives are forever altered. Some might seem small to an outsider but still wound us deeply, even if we do not admit that wound to ourselves. Each disappointment changes us, and our view of the world and ourselves is forced to take a detour that we never expected.

Like a mirror broken and glued back together, the cracks in our self-image remain visible, and the scars on our soul may be sutured, but remain tender forever after. What I am talking about is grief, even if we don’t call it that when dealing with some losses, that is in fact what it is. These moments of grief can overwhelm us, the waves of emotion may get too high, we may stop swimming and drown.

But, even if they do not, they change us, wash us on to the shore of an unknown country, a country of change. If you have ever looked at a list of the things that cause stress in people’s lives, the one thing that they have in common is change. - death, divorce, moving from place to place. We are being forced to leave behind the familiar and enter the unknown. We do that every day, even if we don’t realize it - each morning is full of new things, each sunrise lights a completely new experience.

But, because we treasure the familiar and fear the unknown, we try and hold on to the past, even when it was hurtful.. But the door to yesterday is locked behind us, and no amount of strength or desire will open it again to allow us to alter what has occurred. We are left with grief, and only each one of us individually can navigate the path through grief - the denial, the anger, the bargaining - out to the other side, the land called Acceptance. To do that, however, we also need the support of others, their encouragement, their understanding of our need to grieve until we are ready to move on.

Thinking about grief, I believe that most books on the subject are wrong. They talk of the stages of grief as though grief was a step ladder, go up each rung, one at a time, until you reach the top. But, at least in my experience, grief is more like a journey between two mountains down into a steep valley. The path is rough, there are places where you could trip and fall, places filled with darkness and shadows., time when the path ahead seems blocked and detours have to be made. But, there can also be moments of discovery, times when you find something hidden in the valley that no one from the mountain tops can see, a place of stillness and peace that helps you refresh yourself, so you can carry on toward the other side.

Every person’s grief is unique, intimate even. Even when the same circumstances happen to two different people, they will process it in totally unique ways. The way each person handles the grief will depend on their histories, their attitudes, the amount of support they receive, and even their body and brain chemistry. Having said that, there seems to be some temptations that are quite common when dealing with grief. One of those is denial. We become like little children, closing our eyes to the event to wish and pray to make it never so.

But grief will not be swept under a rug forever. Like a disease in the body untreated will continue to fester and get worse, so grief will grow as long as it is not faced. This temptation remains as long as the hurt does, it is always present, ready to swallow us if we allow it. Something I must do when I am grieving is force my eyes open, refuse to deny it, and instead to acknowledge it, because only then can I begin to treat it. This requires a certain amount of bravery, a willingness to being vulnerable.

There are several emotions that can be associated with grief. Of course, one would expect to feel sorrow, or sadness during the grieving process. The emotion that seem to surprise people is Anger. But it does make sense. A wounded animal is often more dangerous , even to those trying to help. When we have been hurt, there is a temptation to lash out and hurt others. Sometimes, we can use anger as fuel to help up move forward for a while, but it becomes an anchor, tying us to the event and keeping us fro being able to continue to climb.

Worse, our anger can cause us to hurt innocent people who love us, and only want us to get better. Far too often I have allowed anger to cloud my judgment, and have become enraged at petty events that were not worthy of such a response when examined by the cold light of day. I have felt like I was trapped, unable to escape the pain, a feeling of an injustice done to me that should be revenged, and the cry of “its just not fair!“ has escaped my lips.

The only way I know of to get rid of this weight is to cut the cord of anger, give up my “right” to seek justice for myself, and leave the hurt behind forever. Like denial, this is not something that only occurs once and then is over with. I have to continually do it over and over again, for as long as the hurt remains.

If we are fortunate enough to avoid or pull ourselves out of the trap of denial and leave behind the weight of anger, there are still some other pitfalls we can fall into and get stuck while on a journey of grief. One of these is Bargaining - we try and negotiate away our pain, trade our grief. Denial and bargaining are related, because we are still not acknowledging fully the events or circumstances. But, while denial is inward-looking, bargaining is usually outward looking.

So who do we bargain with? Well, for some of us at least, it involves a higher power, God. I have seen lifelong atheists and sceptics take to prayer like ducks to water when faced with grief. Sometimes, that prayer is even answered - the cancer scare turns out to be wrong, the relationship we thought destroyed or lost is restored. But, more often than not, the heavens remain silent on the subject of our grief and we are forced to carry the burden, heavy as it may be.

The good part about bargaining is that we have started to realize that the situation is not in our control, that we cannot change the event that caused our grief. But we are still looking for an easy way out, a way to get around the mountain instead of putting one foot in front of the other to climb it, however slow our progress upward might be. I am beginning to climb out of the valley of grief.

I am not at the top by any means, but at least I am climbing now, and am no longer satisfied with waiting for someone or something to just pull me up. I can now hear the voices of encouragement from others, so please, keep cheering me on.

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks for sharing this

I'm dealing with my partner's kid sister killing herself Sunday, my ex dying last year, mother and father a few years ago, closest friend in tenuous remission, her husband in recovery. There's more. I guess it comes with age, you are bound to begin losing friends and family. Not that it becomes any easier does it? But I am not that old.
I try to find humor in anything and everything. It has just been a little difficult lately.

I was up late reading stuff

I was up late reading stuff including this. I am not TG or a chaser or none of the nonsense that goes with people who don't get it. I do like most people regardless of who or what they are or want to be. Just as long as your not an A-hole we'll get along fine.
I knew a TG child, a kid I've grown up with who turned out to had become a lovely young woman regardless of her anatomy. We dated three times and she had to move again with her dad in the RCMP, unfortunately even with family support she took her own life because of bullying in her school and life.
Reading this entry and the above comment made me remember her. Her name was Michelle Rushton, she died by overdose in 1996, she was 23.
I'd just like to say that to all of you out here in this community, hurting, and scared there are some of us out here who care and have been raised to keep our souls and hearts open.
Love and support to all of you.
Bailey.

Everyone at one time or

Everyone at one time or another grieves and we all react differently and heal differently as well. I've found that I've become somewhat more tolerant to the insults life has chosen to 'gift' me with. I've also found that my scars are tougher than that which they bind.

I don't think we truly begin to heal intil we can face another with the same, or similar, 'gifts', and say; 'I know. I understand. Please let me help you'.

Your piece is a beautiful one in that I can feel what you are saying. It is also well expressed.

May We All Be Healed...

Kelly

The only way I know of to get rid of this weight

Andrea Lena's picture

...is to cut the cord of anger, give up my “right” to seek justice for myself, and leave the hurt behind forever. Like denial, this is not something that only occurs once and then is over with. I have to continually do it over and over again, for as long as the hurt remains.

Every day, sis, every single day! Thanks for reminding me.


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Dio benedica la mia bella amici, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

GRIEF !!!

ALISON

Dorothycolleen,have you got a degree in psychology or psychiatry ???If you haven't,
you should have.That is one of the smartest pieces I have ever read on the subject.
It is an in depth presentation on a subject which a lot of academics have not got
the slightest idea about.As you point out,grief comes in many forms and it is up to us as individuals to rise above it,which is difficult.Well done again.

ALISON

Dear Dorothy, That was

Dear Dorothy,

That was interesting, but some points I disagree with you about.

I suppose everyones' lives are filled with some grief. Some experiences can be so bad that we never get over them. I had to be dug from the rubble of what had been our family home when a bomb was dropped upon it in WW2 when I was three. I can clearly remember being trapped, unable to move, my legs hurting, and the air being full of dust and blackness. Then hearing some hammering sounds and suddenly something heavy being moved to one side and a very bright light in my face and a man's voice saying "Here is one. It's alive!" and me saying "I want my Mummy!", then being handed to her and us both hugging and crying.

I can remember being brought out of a street air raid shelter and seeing the one next to ours had been hit. There were gaps around where houses had been bombed and flames from gas mains and water bubbling up here and there and severed bits of human beings burning in the street and the smell was like roast dinner cooking but sweeter and sickly. Sometimes I wake up at night with a shock as I have dreamed of this event that really happened.

I can remember having a fearsome temper that made me hit out at people in fury when teased, and how one day it led to my throwing a beaker of boiling acid at a classmate in the chemistry lab after school (they were pretty lax back then about supervision and safety), and it missed him but hit the door and I realised how dangerous it was to have an uncontrolled temper and how I could have scarred my classmate for life, and I fell to the floor and cried, and he comforted me and we became friends thereafter. We cleaned up the mess together and slipped away home, I on the back of his motor-scooter.

I can recall holding the dead body of my hour old baby that had died.

Damn. Sorry i had to stop there. That is the very worst thing that ever happened to me. Later I climbed to the top of a hill and swore at the stars and at any beings that thought they were gods whom I would dearly like to punch on the nose right then and I have been a militant atheist ever since.

I suppressed my temper after the incident described above, and found after some years I no longer had a temper at all and I cannot get angry with anyone. Instead I smile beatifically at them as though to convey the message that i realise they are incompetent idiots and cannot help themselves, and mostly they become very sorry. Far more effective !

As with emotions like anger, grief too can be controlled, suppressed, eventually removed. No later events have touched me like those earlier ones. I am wrapped around with an armourplated shell of rationality. The only emotion i let through is amusement. Man, nature, the world, the universe and everything can be seen as a joke. Only that way it all makes some sense, and when one can only laugh at it, it cannot touch one inside.

Briar

Briar

After doing a bit of thinking ...

... I'd say the best way of describing how I see grief is ocean waves that have been stirred up by a storm of painful memories. The smaller waves are pretty manageable, but the really big ones can roll right over me, and knock me flat on my back.

Sometimes, when I notice the storm clouds gathering, I'll run and hide. Other times, I'll plant my feet at the edge of the ocean, and roar at the wave pounding down on me.

On the days when I'm screaming at those mindless waves, I often wonder if I'm really kidding anyone into thinking as brave as I'm trying to act. Maybe I really am brave sometimes. But ... mostly ... I think what keeps me standing back up after I get knocked down, is hope.

Because, even when those storms are at their worst, I know, behind those clouds, joy is still shining. I also know, if I hold out long enough, the storm will eventually pass, and golden beams of joy will shine down on me again. Looking forward to those moments of joy make waiting through even the worst of storms worthwhile.

{{{huggles}}}