Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 943.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 943
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“I’m sorry I called you a silly name,” Stella said, sniffing back a tear.

“What was that then?” I asked still hugging her.

“The one that caused you to hit me.”

“Oh–yeah, sorry about that.”

“I deserved it, and I apologise–I should never have called you that. You’re a woman now and probably always have been. I was well out of order.”

“Stella, you’ve made your point and I’ve accepted your apology–so do shut up about it, love.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Oh well, the bruise has gone.”

“Has it? You and your blue magic again.”

“How would I know?” I rose and moving towards the door added, “I’m going to make some lunch. Dry your eyes and come down in half an hour.”

“Okay–I’ll have to feed Pud...where is she?” A look of horror came over her when she looked in the empty carrycot. “Tell me I didn’t hit her,” she held her hands to her face.

“She’s downstairs with Julie, who by now is probably well wrapped round her little finger.”

“Oh, thank God for that.”

“I removed her to a place of safety and Julie came and got her.”

“I suppose I should say thank you.”

“It’s not obligatory.”

“Thank you–you are like the matriarch of this household, aren’t you?”

“Sometimes–I’m going to do some lunch before it gets any later.”

I went back to the kitchen and looked in the cupboard–we ended up with sardines on toast, something I quite enjoy. I used to eat them regularly when I was in my bedsit, especially the ones in tomato sauce–nourishing and cheap. Thinking back to those days made me shudder–my life was so different now. If I’d been told then how my life would be now–I’d have thought it was impossible.

Okay, I knew that it was possible to change gender legally and get married–I simply didn’t believe it was likely to happen to me. Arguably, all this happened because I went for a bike ride on a specific day at a specific time and a certain nurse chose to drive home at the same time, and the weather chose to become thundery. If none of that had happened, I wonder where I’d be and who I’d be now?

For those who believe in fate, happenstance, serendipity or kismet–call it what you will–it required a number of different things to fall into place for my collision with Stella to have happened. Too many to make it likely it was ordained, at least to my mind. In the same way, the factors for life on earth are so manifold and dependent upon such a narrow spectrum–it’s unlikely to have been planned, much more likely to have evolved from the conditions which existed when it happened and continues to do so at present, adapting to the situation and environment as it is–the fact that the environment is changing so quickly means so many species will become extinct before we, as current custodians of the planet, even recognised they were here. That we might be directly or indirectly responsible for such events, is a testimony to our unsuitability to the job.

Mind you, mass extinctions have occurred before, several times and it has led to dominance by types of organisms, such as the dinosaurs before us. They lasted a lot longer than we have so far, and I suspect will do. All it will take is an asteroid impact or massive volcanic activity to make the place hostile to us and for something else to predominate once things settle down. When seen in that sort of context, it makes most of human endeavour, and personal issues like resolving gender issues–very small beer.

I recall a philosophy teacher suggesting if we felt really exercised about something to consider how the same issue would feel–tomorrow, next month, next year, in ten years, in a hundred years and in eternity.

So would my gender issue have been important in all of those? Absolutely! If my family are going to teach the world to live in peace and harmony, then it’s important I knock ‘em into shape as their mother.

I chuckled to myself as made the toast and opened the tins of sardines. Yeah, I’m gonna stamp out intolerance.

“What are you laughing at?” asked Stella coming into the kitchen.

“Nothing–just thinking of an oxymoronic phrase a friend of mine used to say.”

“Well, come on, spill it.”

“He’d like to stamp out intolerance.”

“Isn’t that a bit contradictory?”

“Yeah, it’s an oxymoron–like, intelligent humans.”

“Hey, I’m one of those,” she protested.

“Which, the oxy or the moron?” I said and ducked.

She scowled at me, then sniggered. It looked like the crisis had passed.

We got a bit more housework done before I went off to collect our trio of academic willbes. I am convinced all three of them will go on to higher education and do well for themselves. I’m not so sure about the boys, but I’m trying to encourage them to aspire to do so too. If at the end of the day, they decide to become tradesmen and do apprenticeships–that’s okay too. We need mechanics, plumbers and carpenters and other such valuable artisans. Maybe I’ll do a recognised bike mechanic’s course and fix bikes for a living–nah, I’d starve to death, and I suspect, I’d get fed up with it soon enough although it would be nice to be able to repair flight deck gear changers and other fiddly bits of bike kit.

“Hewwo, Mummy,” Meems grabbed round my waist and hugged tightly. She’d sneaked up behind me while I was watching the other two promenading towards me like two turbocharged snails.

“Hello, darling,” I ruffled her hair. “C’mon you two, I’d like to get home tonight.”

They were still concentrating more on their conversation than their acceleration. When they got up to us, it seemed they were discussing something which came up in their religious studies class. I wanted to cringe, having dreaded this from day one.

“But it doesn’t make sense,” insisted Trish.

“Well it says so in the Bible, so it must be true,” argued Livvie.

“What’s the problem, girls?” I asked.

“According to the Bible, right?” I nodded, Trish continued, “God made the world in seven days.”

“No, six days–he bunked off on the seventh.”

“Oh yeah–so in six days, yeah? So how come Adam an’ Eve weren’t eaten by dinosaurs?”

“It’s gotta be true, it’s the Bible and like, no one would tell lies in the Bible, would they Mummy?” insisted Livvie.

Eau dear, as Noah said when he heard the weather forecast before the flood. “Um, the Bible isn’t a reputable source of history. Much of it is a collection of myths and folk stories and Hebrew laws from the year dot. Some of the stories are allegories...” Hell’s bells, why do I do this every time–use words they can’t possibly understand?

“Alligators?” queried Trish, bursting into laughter and joined by Livvie then Mima.

“Allegories–the plural of allegory. An allegory is a story used to try and explain something which isn’t understood by the listeners and sometimes by the teller, as well. They’re often used in stories about religion because much of it relies on faith rather than logic or reason or even evidence.

“I don’t understand, Mummy.” Trish’s comment looked to be unanimous by the puzzled look upon Livvie’s and Mima’s faces.

“The story of Adam and Eve didn’t actually happen–it’s a story trying to explain the supposed fall of man.”

“What did he fall off, Mummy?”

Why do I land myself in these situations? I so want my kids to look to reason and logic and evidence before making up their minds about things–perhaps I should wait a few weeks longer before dealing with this one.

“A bike,” suggested Livvie and they both cracked up with laughter. Even I had to laugh at that one.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I have to admire the way

that 'falling off a bike' recurs in this saga. Now that's something you don't think of every day; Adam falling off a bike. Maybe it was a frame-up? (Oh no, the pun machine has started again!)

Susie

As easy as...

...teaching theology to five year olds! :)

The language and culture of Biblical times was so rich in metaphors - just think of all the parables, stories and visions that frequent its pages. So add that to a few hundred years worth of oral tradition, add on the religious equivalent of poetic license (OT character ages being a prime example!), and you may be left with the conclusion: "The truth is in there...somewhere!"

But interpreting metaphors is a fairly high-level task, possibly on a par with trying to comprehend the nanometer distances between components in a biological cell, or the multi million mile distances across the universe. It's only natural to take such concepts and find simpler ways of expressing them - in the case of astronomical distances, the "light year". To say Alpha Centurai is 4.37 light years away sounds much more reassuring than 2.56890442 × 1013 miles!

And particularly in tough times, humans prefer certainty over uncertainty. Even nowadays, tabloid newspapers like painting people as 'pure' or 'evil', with no room for grey areas. For example, those out of work are often portrayed as lazy, workshy, sponging off the state etc., whilst a teenager killed in a hit and run is portrayed as a model pupil who didn't have an enemy in the world, couldn't do a thing wrong, and was best friends with the entire student body. So, many thousands of years ago, when someone asked their tribal leader "Why can't I understand a single word any of the locals say?", instead of "I don't know!" the leader recalled the Babylonian ziggurats and wove an elegant tale...

-oOo-

Anyway, onto the story itself, nice to see that Stella and Cathy have reconciled - with the aid of sardines on toast and a typically random conversation (while Julie babysits Puddin' off camera).

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Metaphore, Mistranslation and Magic

Using miles to measure astronomical distances would be like using inches to measure distances from one capital city to another - Astronomers use Parsecs, and of course Light-years, which aren't metaphorical in the same sense as bliblical expressions. A lot of the wierd stuff in the old book is due to bad translations - for example, in Ancient Hebrew the way to express a Superlative was to repeat three times, a Comparative was twice, hence the expression "holy holy holy" means in modern English "holiest" - whatever that means. Coldest would be "COLD COLD COLD" (atchoo!) Lots of it is quaint-seeming because languages evolve with time - when i was at school (about the time of the Flood!) we had no trouble understanding Shakespeare's language at all, half a century later my grandchildren find it difficult. There used to be a song sung by baritone singers at concert parties that went "A batchelor gay am I" - try to sing that nowadays and your audience will fall off their seats laughing, but 50 years ago the word "gay" meant something quite different... So when you start with a collection of tales written in ancient hebrew, translated into Aramaic, then from that into Greek, and from that into latin, and from that into Reformation English, think of all the possibilities for confounding people!

I do love it when Cathy expresses her thoughts like she does. Seems perfectly in character for a young bioscientist to me, as an old one.

Briar

Briar

Understanding

"Hell’s bells, why do I do this every time—use words they can’t possibly understand?"

I get the point some of your words I don't understand either, but then I keep an English (real English as opposed to American English) Lexicon to hand, for just such an occasion.

Poppykin

With all the mentions

of bikes, I wonder if Cathy will be watching the Track Cycling World Championships (not that we did too well tonight) It might just be what she needs to take her mind off the weekend and all that MIGHT happen then!

Kirri

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 943.

What a cute way to talk about bikes. But there were no bikes in the Bible.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Don't Be So Certain

Ezekial: "wheel within a wheel"? Sounds like it could have been one of those high-wheeler bicycles ("penny-farthing", "ordinary"), right?

Or, Proverb 20:26 "A wise king is scattering the wicked, And turneth back on them the wheel." (Young's Literal Translation)

That's a bicycle, I tell you, and the king is chasing away the bad people with it.

Plus, didn't you ever hear someone say "@#$%&& Jesus Christ on a bicycle"? That means it's true! There were bicycles in the Bible!

Getting philosophical again, Angharad.

Can't blame you though. It comes to all of us with a tenacious regularity, especially if we've 'walked the walk'.

Glad to see that the girls are getting a balanced education via Cathy's more balanced perspectives that will eventually take the girl's outlooks beyond the constrictive straightjackets of relgious bigotry.

Keep up the good work Cathy.

Now what about the boys? Being a tradesman is not a demeaning station in life. Even the most modern and advanced society will always need educated hands! Wasn't that guy in Nazereth a carpenter or something as well as some sort of teacher? Seems to me he didn't do a bad job. It's the follower-ons who did the damage.

Same goes for the Camel driver. He was okay but his followers caused the same degrees of distress.

Peace to them all is what I say, and to us. And peace to poor old Stella as well.

Love and hugs,

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Tradespeople

Given how difficult it is to find a good plumber, elecrician, builder, gardener, etc around here, I think anyone contemplating such a career should be encouraged, not simply supported.

Judging by what they charge for their work, it looks like a nice little earner as well.

Susie

Here in the GWN,

the distinction between white collar and blue collar workers has largely disappeared. With trades unions, skilled tradespersons do VERY well in comparison to clerical people.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Now, THAT's a new...

explanation of the fall. I guess, having had a fall off of a bike, it can be a memorable experience. Still, I somehow don't think that's what the story was trying to get across.

Thanks for the interesting interlude in "The Life & Times of Cathy Cameron". :-)

Annette

Religious School

This is one of the disadvantages of using a religious school, Cathy has an hour or two, they have all day. They also have superior street credits compared to Cathy, though the kids do listen to her. I'm not saying she should try to destroy their faith (especially Livvie's), but she should be willing to go through the bible with the kids to give her take on it.