Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 945.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 945
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

As I waved our visitors goodbye, I began to think we’d need a bus if the family got any larger and we wanted to go anywhere together. I don’t like driving big vehicles, so I don’t think I’ll be driving one of those any time soon.

I chased Julie off to bed–she hadn’t noticed that Leon wasn’t at the house, although he often would be gone before six–unless he manages to cadge dinner with us. He was coming on Sunday instead, so she’d see him then.

“How did you manage to put together the red book to embarrass me?” I asked Simon.

“Oh that was Stella’s idea. Then, when Julie came, she bought into it. We were going to do it at Christmas, but things were too busy–so you got it tonight. I thought it was great fun.”

“You weren’t the one chewing her knuckles and cringing.”

“Oh come off it, Babes, you were laughing as much as anyone.”

“That was at Julie’s presentation as much as anything else–no wonder she was so dressed up–she thought she was that tart who does Big Brother.

“Davina McCall or whatever she’s called?”

“Yep–that one, as uninspiring as the programme.”

“I’m not gonna disagree, Babes–now what about a bit of nooky with a celebrity?”

“You’re not one are you?” I queried.

“No–but you are–c’mon, get your nightie off and let me at ’em...”

It seemed not long afterwards it was daylight and the gigglers were invading again. I tried playing dead, but some cold hands on my back caused me to squeal and I knew then I was doomed.

With ruthless efficiency they inserted themselves into our bed–I hoped Simon was wearing some clothing, preferably on his lower half–or there would be some giggles. I waited–nothing much happened, except a repeated pat on my shoulder or upper arm. “Mummy,” whimpered the voice I was trying to ignore.

“Hmm,” I mumbled back.

The patting continued as did the whiney voice, “Mummy?”

“What?” I grumbled back.

“Happy Mummy’s Day,” retorted Mima.

Don’t you just love ’em? Just before you kill ’em.

“We got you a supwise...”

“Shush,” hissed Trish.

“But I wanna give Mummy a supwise.”

Learn to talk properly, Meems, it would give me the shock of my life. I kept quiet wondering what this surprise could be–flowers or chocolate? I loved both, but I couldn’t eat flowers, so I know where my preferences lay.

“Shush–or it’s not gonna be a surprise is it?–you dummy.”

“I’s not a dummy–Twish; you’s a dummy.”

“What’s all the fuss about?” grumbled Simon. As he hadn’t said anything since his moment of ecstasy last night, I assumed I must have shagged him to death–if I had, it would have been the way he would have wanted to go. Obviously, I hadn’t–oh well, better luck next time. I sniggered at my own joke and Simon picked up on it.

“And what are you laughing at, missus?”

“Oh nothing, still thinking about last night,” I sniggered some more.

“The red book thingy?”

“Not entirely.”

“Hmmm, we’ll have to do that red book thing again–it certainly made you–um–passionate.”

That was probably the couple of glasses of wine I imbibed after my embarrassment was over–does tend to relax my inhibitions somewhat.

“Mummy, woss pashnate?” asked Trish.

“Strong feeling, darling.”

“We did the passion of Jesus in school, ’member Trish?” offered Livvie.

“Was that with Mary Magdalene?” asked Simon, before sniggering–“Took him three days before he could move after that.”

“Careful, Simon, or Cardinal Rottweiler will be asking me to make other educational arrangements for the bulk of our issue.”

“Eh?” he shot back.

“It’s Mothering Sunday.”

“Yeah–so?”

“You’re supposed to make the tea and bring me breakfast in bed.”

“Dream on, missus–you want tea, you go and make it.” He pretended to go back to sleep. I might just shag him to death one of these nights–but not tonight–I’m too sore in the area concerned.

I managed to wriggle out of bed and went for a wee after which I was almost dragged downstairs before I could grab my dressing gown.

“Cwose you’s eyes, Mummy,” instructed Mima as they led me to the dining room. I did and walked into the doorpost, nearly knocking myself out. Trish kissed my head better, and the bruising eased although the headache might just have been caused by grapes rather than door surrounds.

They helped me up to my feet and once again I was exhorted to ‘cwose my eyes’. I did and when the door opened, before me stood a large orchid with umpteen buds on it.

“Where did that come from?”

“It’s for Mother’s Day,” said Trish.

“I’d gathered that much–but how did it get here?”

“It’s from us, Mummy.”

“I–um–had worked that much out.”

“Daddy bwought it in when you was asweep,” chuntered Mima from behind me.

Well knock me down with a feather, I’d never have thought of that–duh. Still, I did ask, so it’s my own fault if I got a silly answer.

“Do you like it?” Livvie asked with pleading eyes.

“It’s like all three of you–absolutely beautiful. Thank you, girls.” I kissed each one of them–even though bending down made my headache worse.

They all danced about giggling to themselves. The noise brought the boys down who handed me a large bar of chocolate and a card. I thanked them, put the chocolate in the fridge and made them all some breakfast.

Leon arrived mid morning–he get’s later and later, so that made Julie’s day. Tom had him cutting the grass, so she helped him. While the girls were busy annoying Simon, and the boys were out playing gooseberries with Julie, Tom and I slipped away with the dog and a bunch of flowers to visit the cemetery.

We didn’t say much as we walked, I carried the flowers, he had the dog on the lead in one hand and his other arm was linked through one of mine. It felt good, to be walking with my adopted father to visit my adopted family, albeit a deceased one.

I waited while he stood at the graveside–giving him some room while we–Kiki and I wandered about looking at gravestones–until she spotted a rabbit and was off, pulling me after her until I fell over a gravestone and turned my ankle.

Tom called her back which she eventually did–I limped up to the grave and between us we put the flowers in some water and placed them on the grave. I wished the occupants of the grave a good day, and we then limped back to the house. It was I who limped, with Tom trying to help me, and control the stupid dog.

Simon thought it was hilarious–the girls were very concerned–so was I, it was too painful to drive. I soaked it in cold water and then Trish had a go at it. She helped it quite a bit but it was still sore as I tried to make the lunch.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh the joys of parenthood

My daughter arrived on the scene when she was nineteen. She's now thirty seven and still a handful. Still, I do have four grandchildren; about the closest I got to a family of my own.

Here's hoping that Angharad's own family will welcome her; we love her to bits so how could they not?

Susie

Oh, Mommy, Mommy...

Yes, we know the most important person in many households. Secondary parent has uses as well (dishes, laundry, cleaning, occasional cooking, fringe benefits...) but, kids NEED their mommy. And, kids don't seem to understand that there ARE times that mommies need a bit of time to "let down".

I think Cathy needs to find that eighth day in the week that the Beatles sang about. She could use it, well, if nobody else knew about it anyway.

Thanks. I really wasn't expecting you to have time to post one today. Hope your trip goes well.
Annette

Wuthering Dormice-945

Oh my! Reading this was funner than a barrel full of monkeys!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I Second that Emotion!

I really enjoyed this part.

Still, I (dare I say, we?) are **still** waiting for the wedding blessing. Is Kirsty going to play a part in it?*

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

* How do you address a female priest in the Church of England? "Father" doesn't seem to be quite right. "Mother"?

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Actually…

…“Vicar” is quite usual in the Anglican church. I know a number of female priests in the Church of England and they are quite happy with that although most of them prefer their Christian names. Mind you there are a number of male priests in the C of E who are really opposed to female priests, including the Vicar in the village where I live, who would rather die than see his parish go to a woman priest. Mind you, he's gay and a right b*tch. He actually berated me in front of an annual parish meeting for being a “trouble-maker”, but that was after he had been arrested in a ‘commonwealth country’ for molesting a street boy. ’nuff said.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Ministers

In the Church of Scotland (or Kirk as many of us Scots call it) the word "Priest" has too many Popish connotations so our Reverends are known as Ministers, and are usually addressed, surprise surprise, as “Minister”.

Morag

The black sheep

As I have moaned many times, none of my imediate family talk to me. Then, out of the clear blue, my grand daughter who lives in Virginia sought me out. She now has two children of her own. As to the rest of the family, "Fuck them", She says.

Gwen

Regardless of the day,

Regardless of the day, Mothers are needed always. Our two year old grandson always says "its Mommy's turn" when he wants something done for him. That is even with 3 other adults standing around. Eventually tho, they all outgrown that and reach an age when they don't even want to be seen with Mommy/Mummy. So sad. Jan

Enjoying this series

Thank you Angharad for a super series, I have finally caught up to this current chapter and I must appologize for not commenting earlier. I thouroughly enjoy Cathy and her misadventures and her lovely brood of children. your fresh characters have captivated me for a while now. The mis adventures of the entire family are definitely keeping entertained and hooked on tis wonderful story.

As a avid rider in the martitimes of Canada, where the scenery is always changing. I ride from march til october to and from work. My daughter Amanda has read most of your lovely story and will eventually catch up to where I am. I hope that you will continue writing this very superb story. Thanks for all that you have done and continue to do so with this enchanting story of Cathy, Simon, Stalla, the brood and all that interwines with them on a daily basis. Thank you and God Bless.

Melanie Dixon

Seems like Cathy

is intent on giving Trish plenty of practise at healing..... Maybe she is looking for her successor already?

So Simon thought it funny to see Cathy twist her ankle....Perhaps he won't think its quite so funny when he's running around after the children all day.

It was a nice surprise to see this episode posted Angharad, Hope you enjoy your little break.

Kirri

enjoyed yet another sweet episode

Seems like Simon has some hidden qualities he doesn't often show. The girls are such sweethearts too.

Thanks for posting while you are away.

Church titles

My anglican cousin's on the other side of the American Pond have already mentioned the usual titles for the CoE. Here in the US in the Episcopal Church (US Branch of the Anglican Church - CoE) male priests are usually refered to as Father (first or last name inserted here) or Reverend. Female priests typically go by Reverend. My present parish priest prefers us to just calling him Ben. My previous parish priest prefered that we just called her Karen. Here in the States we don't use the title of Vicar. My parish presently does not have a Rector installed. Ben came to our parish about 6 months ago and has the title of Priest-in-charge. After he has been with the parish for 3 years we will have our Bishop come down and we will have a service to install Ben as our Rector. I am not sure how they do it in the UK but here in the US each and every parish interviews prospective priests and then selects them with the consent of the entire parish. It is not the Bishop of the Dioceice (misspelled) who determines who our parish priest is going to be.

Mother's Day

I suspect the similarities outnumber the differences, but I do wonder what the differences are. Forget about getting into a good restaurant on MD, unless you planned ahead.

Wonderful Mother's Day

See, I said Ang didn't care for Stella, No mention of her at all in this chapter.
My guess is it was an ice orchid.
My grandfather had a 100' long greenhouse for orchids.
His varieties didn't have clusters of buds

Cefin