Evan's New Life -3- Rallying To Help Evie

Printer-friendly version

Evan's New Life Part Three - rallying To Help Evie
by Baby-Becky

Tyrone took his now eighteen-month old daughter home. Jasmine sat in the back seat of the car watching excitedly as vehicles sped past her. She was wondering where she was going no one had told her what was going on. But she thought it must be somewhere nice. Tyrone gripped the steering wheel tight he was still in a foul mood because of Kelly. Kelly that obnoxious fool, if it wasn’t for me, and my money he wouldn’t be in that position he’s in now he thought. Tyrone lost in his thoughts failed to notice as he went through the red light. He never felt the speeding articulated lorry as is slammed into the side of his Rolls Royce.

The fire brigade, police and ambulance all arrived within minutes. The brigade spent several minutes’ cutting Sir Tyrone Dangerfield’s Rolls so they could get to him and the woman in the back. But they were both dead. The side impact bars had taken monumental force and almost held, but ultimately failed and the bars had driven into the side of Tyrone and the woman had been thrown forward and struck her head on the front headrest. The seat belt had been undone.

Dexter arrived back at the house crossed the road to where Evie’s friend Clive lived. He knocked Clive’s mother answered “Hello Dexter how’s Evan?” Dexter stood and spoke the words that would possibly change Evie’s life for good or bad depending on reaction. “I need to speak to you, it’s about Evan” Clive’s mother stood back from the door “Please come in” Dexter walked into the hall and waited. She walked past Dexter and led him into the main living room. She sat down Dexter followed suit.

Clive heard the knock on the door and the voice of Mister Grant and slowly crept out of his room. Along the landing taking small steps so he wouldn’t be heard.
Tiptoeing down the stairs one at a time. Avoiding the one step he knew creaked.
Getting to the bottom he shuffled along so he could hear his mother and Mister Grant discussing Evan.

“Hazel there is something you need to know about Evan” Hazel lost the colour from her face and she whispered, “He’s not dead is he?” Dexter shook his head.
“No he’s not, technically. What do you know about age regression?”
Hazel looked puzzled “What’s age regression?”
“It’s where a person sees themselves as someone of a younger age often much younger. It can go right back to infancy, some will see themselves as toddlers or even as much as seven or eight years old. This will all of course depend on the individual themselves”
A flicker crossed Hazel’s eyes “Evan sees himself as this?”
Dexter shook his head, “No Evie does”
Hazel stared back “Evie? Who’s Evie?”
Clive spoke “It’s Evan mother, except she now prefers to be called Evie. She was never happy as Evan. She felt she had been born in the wrong body, she also is happier as a two year old baby girl”
Hazel sat stunned not sure what was exactly being said, but was finding it hard to take it all in. Evan wanted to be a girl? Was that what was being said?
She looked from her son standing in the doorway to Dexter on the couch, “Are you saying Evan wants to be a girl?”
Dexter nodded, “Yes she does. It is who she really is, the accident brought Evie to the front of her life, she had previously always been buried deep. Often a traumatic accident or incident will bring something like this to forefront of the person’s mind and then it takes over in the way that it should have earlier. But now it’s Evie, Alicia and I and Clive all know this and accept Evie I hope you’ll understand and take it on board as well”
Hazel’s head buzzed at a hundred miles an hour she vaguely recalled reading about something like this in one of her magazines, where a boy had seen himself as toddler she had at the time dismissed it as a joke. But it was true, this really did happen. She knew Clive and Evan mentally she chastised herself, Evie where really tight they went everywhere together you could hardly separate them. She knew there was no way she could destroy that, not unless she wanted the next five years to be that of a resentful teenager who hated his mother. She smiled back at the two. “I can deal with that I’ll help little Evie in anyway I can, I love Eva she stopped again Evie like a daughter” The next thing she knew was Clive had wrapped himself round her giving her a he hug, something he hadn’t done in a while. She choked up.
“What would you like me to do?” Dexter smiled back at Hazel his answer already prepared in advance “Well Alicia and I would appreciate it if you would help prepare Evie’s room, and make her some curtains”
Clive spoke up “I’m helping mum, Mister Grant and I are doing the wallpapering this morning, I think”
Hazel replied, “Sure I’d love to do that for Evie” She looked at Dexter and Clive unsure as to whether to ask the question or not. Dexter caught the look “Hazel if you have any questions please just ask. There are no secrets in this”
“I was wondering will Evie, be going to school? And well, umm will she be potty trained?
Dexter looked back “We are considering home schooling for Evie depending on how she wants to be and no she will be in nappies”
Hazel nodded “Well I’ve changed my fair share of them so if she’s over here playing with Clive I’ll change her if she needs it”
Dexter stood up “Thank you Hazel this means a lot we’re all grateful for you understanding” he glanced towards Clive “Fancy giving me hand this morning?”
Clive grinned, “Sure Mister Grant I’m not doing anything”
Dexter and Clive left Hazel alone with her thoughts and crossed over to where Evie would soon be living her new life.

Evie sat her room; her leg hurt like crazy, but the medication-helped ease that pain to a dull ache. But she knew she had another type of pain that no medication could ease. School, and what few friends she had, what could she tell them?
How do I tell them that I’m not really who they thought I was? How do I tell them I want to be a little girl and wet my nappy?
But what was auntie’s idea she had that involved Clive? It couldn’t be the school it seemed too secret for that. Evie looked over at her auntie trying to guess what she had up her sleeve. Aumtie? Said Evie. Alicia looked up at the new word coming from Evie and smiled, it was like having a child learning new words and the parents trying hard to understand them. But she figured this one easy enough. “Yes Evie dear what is it?”
“Can unkie Dexwer bwing my iPod in mowwow?”
Alicia smiled, “Yes of course dear. I’ll remind him in the morning” Silently Alicia was shocked at how Evie’s words were dropping in baby speech she expected her too change her vocabulary a bit, but this was a whole different level it was almost as if her brain had reverted back to her childhood with it’s ability to speak and form words.
She giggled to herself she was happy she was learning to speak as a baby and get people to understand her all that she had to do now was wet and mess her first nappy and she’d truly be at peace with the world.
Alicia bit down on the bullet and looked at her niece, “Evie darling is everything okay with you?”
“Me is okies fanks ooos aumtie Awicia, whys?” Alicia felt a pang of concern snatch at her do I say it? She said to herself she shook it off. Shut up Alicia, she said leave it alone, she’s discovering her true identity you can’t go in and destroy something she’s dreamt of for goodness knows how long.
“It’s nothing dear don’t worry”
“Okies aumtie” Her eyes shining brightly upon her auntie, She looked at the person who had saved her a few years previously when her parents had died. Now she was going to be her daughter something she knew her mother had said auntie Alicia had always wanted but was unable to do so. She didn’t and couldn’t remember some of the long and big words, but she knew it meant her auntie couldn’t have babies.

Hazel sat staring into space she couldn’t believe this was happening. Evan was now Evie? She smiled secretly she had half suspected if she was being honest with herself Evan..Evie she told herself, she’d always played very well when her sister’s children came round she’d seemed oblivious to adults around her it was like she was in her own world with the children. Hazel stood up and walked over to make herself a pot of coffee, she had some serious thinking to do she had to help Evie.
Hazel poured her third cup of coffee and had her idea. She picked her mobile up and dialled Clive.

Dexter and Clive had done the first wall of Evie’s room when Clive’s mobile went off he pulled it out of his trousers pocket “It’s my mum” he said to Dexter “Yes mum?”
“Hi sweetie can you put Mister Grant on for me?”
“Sure mum. It’s my mum she wants to speak to you Mister Grant”
Dexter wiped his hands on a rag and took the phone “Hello Hazel what can I do for you?”
“Dexter, Evie’s going to need dresses and rhumbas isn’t she?”
“Yes she will” Dexter was about to speak but Hazel saw her opening and moved in.
“Well I’m pretty good with a sewing machine and needle and thread why don’t I make her some dresses and matching rhumbas I am sure I can find some patterns online and eBay”
Dexter bit back the we can afford it, and have already bought some, he didn’t want to be a total heel and refuse help from Hazel for one Alicia would never forgive him, and two it might cause friction between Clive and Evie and that was something he couldn’t let happen.
“Hazel that is very generous of you, thank you very much” In her kitchen Hazel beamed. “I am very happy to help Dexter I’ll find some patterns and send you the links and you tell me what you think”
“Absolutely Hazel, right now I need to get this wallpapering done so tomorrow we can get on with the painting Evie’s cot is due to arrive in a couple of days and I’d like the room papered and painted ready to put it in”
“Okay Dexter I’ll let you get on and I’ll start looking for some patterns”
Dexter grinned at Clive, “Well your mother is onboard she’s going to make Evie some dresses and rhumbas”
Clive replied, “That’s cool of her, she’s a demon with a sewing machine she’s made stuff for people before” the pair then got back to papering Evie’s room the silence only broken by a few comments here and there to break the monotony of papering.

Alicia was lost in thought she loved Evie so much, but a tiny part of her was screaming at her this was going way beyond what she had bargained for. The acting as her inner child and wearing nappies that was fine. Teaching her from home again she was onboard with that. But this voice was telling her this was so wrong.
Evie was watching her auntie she noticed her face change as if she was thinking deeply. “Aumtie is ooo okies?” Alicia pulled her thoughts back rapidly she shook herself and flushed away the look off her face and smiled brightly at her injured niece.
“I’m fine honey don’t worry about me. It’s just grown up stuff” Evie frowned, “oh okies aumtie me nots wowwy”
Alicia felt the tears coming she quickly got up and spoke “Aunty is just going to the toilet honey” Alicia ran from the room as the hot tears poured down her face and ran to the toilets. Quickly locking herself into a cubicle she sobbed, her chest heaving as the tears kept on coming.
She sat looking at the grey door and angrily berated herself for even thinking about trying to stop Evie from being happy. It’s not her fault she shouted to herself inside her head. She was born this way, this is who she was supposed to be and I was going to take this away? Damn you she screamed at herself. Shaking herself deeply she stood up flushed the toilet to make it look like she had been opened the door want to the sinks. She washed her hands; she then cleaned the tear marks from her face. She smiled at the mirror. Evie you’re going to be happy that idea I was working on I has just slotted the last piece into place. Evan has just died as far as I’m concerned.

Hazel turned on her laptop and waited till it powered up then fired up her browser then typed in adult baby dress patterns. She got a few hits and read some ideas from some sites. Then she thought and changed her search to baby dress patterns, she knew she could alter the pattern upwards it was just a case of simple mathematics to get it to Evie’s size. She found several she really liked and fed the links onto an email for Dexter and sent it. She then ordered them anyway. It would be a surprise for her.
Then she went back and let her fingers do the talking and she signed up to a couple of adult baby chat rooms, she wanted ideas for Evie. Hazel spent the rest of the morning talking to a few babies. They told her to get dummies, bottles, and a mobile for above her cot, Mary Jane shoes, she’d also need onsies to sleep in. Hazel noted down everything. She sat after she had closed the chat and looked at the list, it was long very long. But she whispered to the empty room a baby needs lots of things, well she knew Evie wasn’t really being a baby she was a little girl, but the difference in age between the two was small seeing as she would still be using nappies.
Hazel went to a couple of sites and ordered bottles and dummies that would fit Evie, she then turned everything off and sat back satisfied with her mornings work.

Alicia composed herself she couldn’t let Evie see her upset. Checking her face once more for tear marks seeing none she walked back out. She walked back to Evie’s room and smiled happily at her niece. Evie glanced as her auntie walked back in the room. Now sweetie I have a plan to get rid of Evan for good and have Evie move in, do you want to hear it?”
Evie’s eyes shone with joy “Pwease aumtie”
“Well sweeties you know your auntie you rarely see?” Evie nodded.
“I was thinking that maybe Evan could move to where she lives. As everyone knows Evan and Dexter didn’t get on, even Evan and his aunty Alicia had problems. Then we could say that Evie is one of Dexter’s nieces”
“Buts aumtie peoples will nos me is not weally unkie Dexwers niece”
Alicia smiled, “That is where Clive comes in. I’ll get Clive at school to start fuelling rumours about one of Dexter’s nieces coming to stay because of marital problems at her parent’s home. I’ll also get him to sneak in words here and there about the problems that Evan and I have been having, with him saying do you remember when I said? People will automatically say yes I do rather than feel stupid and say no”
Alicia laughed, "Evie dear once your hair has grown a bit and been cut to look like a little girls you’ll be fine"
Evie sat feeling the excitement bubbling up inside her. She giggled softly “Oh aumtie fank ooos dis wills lets me be Efie all der times” Alicia blinked back more tears, she could see the pure joy on her niece’s face. This was happiness in its purest form nothing could possibly top this.

Dexter and Clive sat on a couple of camping chairs in what would be Evie’s room drinking coffee. They looked at the almost wallpapered walls and smiled. Clive turned to Dexter “Mister Grant do you think we should paint Evie’s door outside as well as in?” Dexter took a mouthful of coffee and swallowed and quickly scanned the idea in his head “Sure Clive why not. Yes the colour will be a bit out compared to the rest of the doors, but this is a special room for a special little girl” Clive nodded back in the general acceptance that is shown between males all around the world.
“Mister Grant?”
Dexter sat looking at Evie’s best friend “Clive what have I told you to call me?”
Clive grinned sheepishly “Sorry Dexter, I was thinking maybe we could go to the local art shop and see if we can get some stencils. One with a fairy or princess and the other with Evie on it, then we could stencil them onto the door”
Dexter smiled back “You’re a great kid and a wonderful friend to Evie Clive. That is a fantastic idea. Drink up, we’ll finish this wall pop into town for McDonalds, I assume you eat that? Then we’ll go and see if we can find some stencils”

James Kelly walked into Evie’s room. “How’s Evan today?” he smiled brightly. Alicia and Evie’s flicker of annoyance at the name vanished almost as soon as it touched their faces. Kelly thought he saw a touch of annoyance hit the woman’s face but he wasn’t sure. Alicia watched Evie wondering how she’d reply, would it be Evan or Evie who spoke? She decided to not risk it. “He’s fine doctor thank you still a bit fragile and hurting but feeling a lot better. When can she go home? Alicia mentally kicked herself for using the female in the speech, but hoped he wouldn’t notice it.
James looked at the woman did she just say when can she go home? Must be the stress and anger of it all he thought. He picked the notes from the end of the bed.
He flicked through the charts. He smiled down at the kid. “I would say about another week just to give the leg time to knit a bit more, and to give you time to start to heal from the cuts and bruises”
Evie sat quietly she’d guessed from her aunt’s timely intervention to not speak. She knew the time was not right, yet to let others know outside the main three about Evie.
James made a few notations on the charts and exited the room.

The two sat silently for a couple of minutes. The buzzing of the fluorescent lighting was the only noise in the room. Alicia spoke first “We’re going to have to tell someone about Evie. It is going to get harder to hide her dear, and maybe we can get some help with her as well if we tell people”
Evie watched her aunt, a serious look on her face. The she nodded. “Okies aumtie, we tells der peoples bouts Efie”
Alicia smiled back at her niece “Okay dear, but we’ll do it carefully so you don’t get hurt” She smiled back nestling her doll on her arm.
The pair sat looking at each other with affection. Evie was feeling things she had never felt as Evan, love and wanting to care for people. She knew Evan had been resentful, rude and at times downright obnoxious towards her aunt and uncle, except then he was Mister Grant. But the accident had changed her in many ways, least all of was Evie venturing out into the world after years of being hidden and only coming to Evan, as he was then, when he closed his eyes and spun his own little world and life of Evie. Evie spoke, “Aumtie is ebebyfing goings to works?” Alicia mentally translated Evie speech, “Yes dear everything will work out just trust the adults to sort it all out, okay?” Evie smiled, then she nodded that she understood what was being said.

Dexter and Clive walked into the art shop having both enjoyed the fast food of McDonalds, not exactly on the healthy side of conscious but it was still enjoyable.
They wandered round till they found the stencils and went through them to see if what they wanted was in. Clive found a princess one tucked away and while not the name Evie he found a nice set of lettering stencils. Dexter paid for the stencils and they walked towards the exit, as the got near the exit Clive spotted some cartoon stickers on a stand and pointed them out to Dexter, he picked them up and they both grinned. Evie would love them they had all cartoon characters on them and would nice on her door. They paid for them then added them into the bag with the stencils and walked out. Walking back to the car they passed toy shop Dexter turned to Clive, “Come on lets have a look round see if we can find anything for Evie”
Upon entering the stood just inside the door and looked at each Clive spoke first, “I think Evie would have a lot of fun in here and possibly break your bank balance”
Dexter laughed, “I have no doubt she’d have a very good try”
The grabbed a trolley and started walking slowly up the aisles discussing items as they went along, some went in the trolley others got left behind. The till assistant face was priceless to Dexter as she saw the trolley piled high with, dolls, soft toys, a dolls house, colouring books and crayons, dress up outfits and the biggest bear in the store which Clive was struggling to carry.
She recovered and spoke, “She must be a very special little girl to be getting all of these presents”
Dexter replied, “She most certainly is very special to me and my fiancée”
Clive looked nearly spoke, but a glance from Dexter told him this would look so wrong and possibly lead to a lot of trouble, so he kept quite.
The bill passed the four hundred mark Dexter blanched as he input his PIN number.
But he knew the cheque from Tyrone Dangerfield covered the bill. They took the goods out to the car and piled them all into the boot, the giant bear was buckled into the back seat, while it was just a bear Dexter didn’t want the chance of that flying forward should he have an accident. It was heavy and the size of a small child, it would cause a lot of damage.
Dexter and Clive drove back to Alicia’s house and unpacked the car. The toys were placed downstairs in Evie’s temporary bedroom. Making a coffee for the pair of them Dexter decided he needed to talk to Clive.
“Clive this whole situation with Evie must feel a bit odd to you” Clive took a sip of coffee and thought about his answer, “Not really Mister Grant, sorry Dexter. I did read a fair bit when I discovered Evie’s iPod and it does kind of explain a lot”
Dexter looked puzzled, “What do you mean, explains a lot?”
“Well, when we used to go into town on a Saturday or holidays Evie” he had just caught himself in time “Always kept glancing at babies and seemed entranced by their looks and how their mothers fussed over them, it was almost as if she was jealous, which I am guessing now, is true she was jealous” He shook his head “I am just sorry that none of us ever noticed”
Dexter replied, “Hey don’t beat yourself up it’s not as if any of us knew about this before all of this came about did we?”
“I guess not, but it would have been nice if just one of us had caught the warning signs”
Dexter nodded “It sure would have kiddo, it sure would”
The pair sat in silence lost in their own thoughts, and both still struggling with their own inner turmoil that they hadn’t caught any inkling about Evie.
“I suppose we should go and finish that piece of wall,” said Clive as he put down his empty cup. Dexter stood up put down his cup “Guess we should that gives it time to dry so we can paint in the morning” The pair of them walked upstairs to continue with wallpapering Evie’s room.

That evening as Dexter and Alicia sat eating their evening meal Alicia turned to Dexter, “You know we have to tell the people at the hospital don’t you?”
Putting down his cutlery Dexter replied, “Why? It’s not as though they have to know about Evie”
Alicia shook her head “No, it’s just that Evie’s coming out more and more it’s getting hard for her not speaking when a doctor or nurse come in the room. They’ll begin to think it odd she’s not speaking, they may see it as part of the accident”
“Well I guess I can see that, it must be hard for her to keep hiding herself away from the world. Well if you’re sure this is the right course of action for Evie go ahead”
Alicia smiled, “Thanks honey we’ll be careful of course. But as far as anyone else is concerned they’re not too know”
Having done the washing up Alicia turned to Dexter “I have something I need to explain to you, it’s about getting rid of Evan”
Dexter looked back puzzled “I thought we’d already done that, Evie was out Evan was gone”
Shaking her head Alicia replied, “Yes and no. Yes we now have Evie, but Evan has to be seen to be leaving here. I have a plan with Evie it just needs Clive’s assistance at school” Then Alicia proceeded to outline the idea to Dexter.
Dexter looked sceptical, tapping his fingers on the table, before he replied “It seems okay but it really hinges on Clive, that’s an awful lot of pressure on the kid you’re putting, more so since his best friend nearly killed, add in the mix his best friend is now living as a two-year old girl, it’s a potent recipe for disaster”
Alicia glared back at Dexter, “Fine then if you think this won’t work you come up with an idea, not forgetting Evan needs to be seen leaving”
Dexter stood up “Hey calm down I’m not the bad guy here I was merely pointing out the possible pitfalls”
Alicia took a deep breath, “Sorry guess this whole Evan/Evie thing is getting on top of us. Trying to get it so she’s seen as Evie is the hard part, but I’m sure with the right hair cut and clothing it will work just fine”
Dexter nodded, then walked out of the room. Upon entering the living room he checked his emails to find some of the items they had wanted had been dispatched and should arrive in two days time. Perfect he thought tomorrow Clive and I paint the room, and the following day her cot arrives along with her high chair. He smiled Alicia walked in “What are you so happy about?”
Dexter looked up from the screen “Evie’s cot and highchair have been dispatched”
“Good now that things are starting to arrive we can start to make this look more like a home than a house” Dexter nodded in reply checking the delivery dates of other items. Alicia sat watching the television trying to keep her mind occupied rather than dwell on the task she had set Clive, she knew it was asking a lot but it was easier if he set the scene for people to believe.

Evie sat alone in her room her aunt had left for the night. She had been kind enough to put Jessica the bear on the bed for her. Traci her dolly was sitting next to her. She was talking softly to the pair of them, her speech now totally that as of a two-year old child. She was giggling and clapping excitedly at their answers to her questions. She reminded them in the way that young children do to behave themselves. She told them of the nice room they were going to be living in and how pretty it would it would be for them all. A nurse walking past heard the talking and clapping and smiled but thought nothing of it the fact it was supposed to be a thirteen-year old boy in the room slipped her mind. Evie was enjoying herself, she felt free from all the misery she had endured since losing her parents, and since Dexter had moved in. But the fact she had freed her inner self was what she was truly happy for, no more hiding, no more gazing at babies and wishing that she was in their place, and the freedom now to express how she felt.

Hazel sat with Clive after they had eaten the air was uneasy they both felt as if things needed to be said, but neither was really willing to be the one to break the silence.
Finally Hazel decided enough was enough, “Clive honey”
Hearing his mother break the silence relieved him, “Yes mum?” Hazel continued on “It’s about Evie dear” Clive felt a rising panic inside, was she now going to change her views on the subject? Was she going to spread the word about Evan being Evie?
He looked up concern on his face, “What about Evie? You’re not going to change how you feel are you?”
Hazel shook her head, “Nothing of the sort dear. I was just going to ask do you not feel as though you’ve lost someone to hang out with, and to go to the cinema or head into town to hang out?” Clive had mentally prepared this answer he knew this was coming long before it was even going to be asked, it was just who asked it first Miss Jackson or his mother.
“No mum I don’t. I like Evie I understand how she feels and her inner feelings to others. I don’t mind going over there and playing with dolls and her soft toys. It’s no different really to playing with my nieces except it’s my best friend now. What counts really is Evie being happy and slowly adjusting to her new life after all she’s buried this deep and for so long, she’s going to try and be all of Evie before she has truly begun to understand even a tiny bit of Evie.
Hazel smiled her son was growing up if he could see things like that in a grown-up way. “You seem to have thought about this a lot dear”
Clive grinned, “Yes mum I have I sort of had too after finding out accidentally I started to look into it a bit deeper. A bit for me and mostly so I didn’t make any mistakes with Evie”
“So have you thought about how you’re going to explain Evan no longer being at school?”
Clive nodded, “Yes that’s all in my head and just needs little refining I guess but it shouldn’t be too hard to get people to believe Evan has moved away. People knew he and Dexter” His mother glared at him. Clive blushed, “Sorry Mister Grant didn’t get on well, add in a few gems of information and well Evan disappears and Evie appears”
Hazel looked over at her son wondering how he was really coping with this, but she was really concerned with how her son’s best friend was dealing with it all.

Across the road Alicia and Dexter sat discussing how they’d have to adjust their personal lives. After all they would now have two-year old to look after and they where a handful at the best of times. They knew they’d get a few funny looks when they went out with Evie in her pushchair, but they were prepared for that, they hoped so at least. The nappy changes wouldn’t be too difficult they’d both done if babies. Alicia knew they’d have to set a routine for Evie times to be woken, have naps, play and eat. Routine was an important structure in the development of a child and just because Evie used to be thirteen doesn’t mean they deviate from a structured routine for her. Alicia suddenly sat up, tense and feeling a cold shiver down her neck.
Dexter noticed the movement and the way Alicia was holding her body. “What’s wrong dear?”
Alicia looked over, “Just realised how do we sell this to Evan’s aunts and uncles?”
Dexter looked back a blank look on his face “oh, I don’t know but I guess we need to think of something”
“Well I guess we have one option which is the truth”
Dexter looked thunderstruck, “Are you serious? You want us to tell them that Evan is now Evie and she wears nappies and baby dresses?”
Alicia glared back, “Yes Dexter that is exactly what I am suggesting”
“Are you sure that is wise telling them exactly what is happening, don’t forget this is something we are also trying to hide”
“I know that”, snapped Alicia “But we can’t fool them that Evie is someone else. They have to know we can still hide Evan at his aunts can’t we?”
Dexter sighed, “I guess you’re right dear, they have to know mainly because they’ll all wonder where Evan is and why when the Christmas list gets sent it has presents fit for a two-year old girl”
Alicia laughed, “I didn’t think of that, but yes that will get them scratching their heads why Evan would want a doll or something for a dolls house”
Dexter stood up “Just going to check that the wallpaper is starting to dry as we’re hoping to pain the skirting boards, windows and door tomorrow” Walking upstairs he checked the room to check it was going to be dry in time to paint tomorrow.
Dexter stood in the doorway surveying the room smiling to himself he walked in checked the walls for bubbling and checking it was drying out properly. Satisfied he called Clive,
“Hey Clive everything is set for tomorrow we can get on and paint the wallpaper will be dry, make sure you wear clothes that don’t matter if they get paint on them”
“Sure thing Dexter I’ll be over around eight”
Dexter finished the call and walked back to Alicia “We can do the painting tomorrow dear. Hopefully the room will be set in two or three days, then I can take some photos and we can show Evie on the laptop what her new room looks like”

The following morning as Alicia sat with Evie her fiancé and Clive where getting on with the task of painting Evie’s windows and skirting boards a pastel pink. The door had been done first so they could stencil it the following day. Clive was lost in his own world as he dipped the brush in the pot of paint and got on with the job in hand the skirting boards near the door. He mused to himself just how much his life was going to change once Evie got home, no more trips to the town to hang out, though he could take her out in the pushchair, no more cinema trips to see PG films. But they were all inconsequential items as far as he was concerned the well being of Evie was paramount to him. He grinned it would only be like playing with his nieces and nephews and that was no big deal every one did that.

Dexter was kneeling down painting when the doorbell went he set his brush on the lip of the can wiped his hands as best he could and went down to answer the door.
A van was parked outside and couple of men stood with two very large boxes.
“Delivery for Grant” Dexter stood shocked for a second then he grinned Evie’s cot and highchair. He signed for them and showed the men where to out the boxes.
Dexter walked back upstairs “That was a delivery for Evie her cot and her high chair. Now tomorrow I have to be somewhere so I’ll need you to be here in case anything else arrives plus you can stencil her door. That would be a nice gesture if she knew her best friend had stencilled her door”
“No problem Dexter I can do that for you” Dexter smiled to himself good he thought I can go and start looking for places to marry Alicia in.

Alicia was again with her niece. They were talking quietly and giggling, Alicia was finding it hard now she knew the time was getting close when they’d have to lie about Evan. While she knew it was necessary to protect Evie it didn’t mean she was comfortable with the idea. She sighed quietly. She noticed the look on her auntie’s face. “Is sumfinks wong aumtie?”
Alicia shook her head, “No sweetie it’s just something aunty has to deal with. I’ll be alright don’t worry”
Evie smiled, “Okies aumtie”
Alicia grinned she loved her nieces speech style it very much suited her and her playful approach to life. This was possibly the one part of the puzzle that Evie had needed to find, as this was her way of communicating with adults and children alike it also gave her a sense of identity. “Now Evie dear where were we?”
She giggled at her aunt, “Ooo was sayings bouts der weddings dwess ooo wants”
“Oh, yes of course I was dear. Well I want one with a nice train and nipped in waist a veil is a must so uncle Dexter can lift it up for the kiss” Evie made a funny face at the word kiss. We’ll make sure that I can get a dress in the same colour for you dear. I need my special flower girl to look pretty”

Dexter and Clive spent the morning doing the painting. Coming back down Dexter checked his emails to find that the pushchair and nappies had been sent. Turning to Clive he spoke, “Seems you’ll be busy tomorrow Evie's pushchair and nappies have also been sent. Make sure you have your phone on and charged in case of problems and call me if there are any issues”
Clive nodded, “Okay Dexter do you still want me to stencil the door tomorrow?”
“Yes please Clive you can still hear the door from the room. There will be no noise in the house and the doorbell is loud enough”
Clive looked back, “Evie is going to be okay isn’t she?”
“Yes Clive of course she will be”
“No, what I mean is, she’ll be safe in being who she is. No one will call her names or anything like that”
Spotting the concern in the young lads face he spoke, “Clive listen to me. Alicia and I will do anything to protect Evie and who she is we all know she wasn’t forced to be Evie. This was a free will decision she made on her own. Yes the accident may have speeded up the choice, but ultimately she would have made the choice eventually. So don’t worry about anything, she’s safe trust me”
Clive felt the reassuring words from Dexter and calmed right back down. Why did I even doubt him? He only wants Alicia and Evie happy it seems almost as if he’d be prepared to do so at his own expense. So trust him until he lets Evie down, then we get nasty. “Okay Dexter I trust you and believe you when you say you’ll look after Evie” the pair worked on in silence till lunch time when ordered in pizza from the local Dominoes. They sat on the stairs eating Clive’s phone rang; quickly wiping his greasy fingers on his trousers he answered his phone.
“Hi mum what is it?” Dexter turned round and saw Clive nod a couple of times and a broad grin split his face. “I think that would be much appreciated mum”
Dexter watched him with a frown on his face. Clive killed the call popped the phone back in his pocket. “A friend of my mother’s is having a clear out and asked my mum if she knew of anyone who wanted a playpen so my mum snapped it up for Evie, I am guessing it’s okay with you?”
Dexter nodded, “Yes that’s just fine I must admit that had slipped my mind and it will be a useful thing to put Evie in when there’s only one of us here and we’re in the kitchen cooking. So tell her it’s much appreciated and I’ll pay her back for it”
Clive shook his head, “I wouldn’t if I was you. She’d be offended all she was talking about last night was how wonderful it would be to be able to make baby dresses, booties, bonnets and such for Evie. You pay her back she’ll rip your arm off. She wants to help so let her”
Dexter looked shocked at the depth of feelings Hazel had for helping Evie, he knew she’d always treated him really well after his parents had died, there was always a bit extra at Christmas and birthdays. But this was a whole other ballgame. He took another bite of pizza and soon wrapped himself up in other thoughts. Alicia the wedding and Evie as the flower girl. Dexter turned to Clive with a smile.
“Clive you know Alicia and I are going to get married?” Clive nodded back.
“Well I was wondering if you’d like to be my best man?” Clive’s mouth opened but he couldn’t find any words to come. He sat in silence stunned. “You’re joking me right?”
Dexter shook his head “No I am serious Clive. Evie is going to be Alicia’s flower girl so I thought why not have you in on the wedding itself as well. What do you say?”
Clive nodded back weakly. “Good that’s settled” Dexter said.
The pair of them went back to finishing off the painting. They had all the upstairs windows to get rid of the paint smell. The pair of them soon finished off the painting and looked round what was starting to look like the room of a little girl. The furniture would drastically change it Dexter thought. The pair of them went downstairs cleaned up the brushes and themselves.

Hazel drove round to her friend’s house to pickup the playpen. This would help Alicia and Dexter no end and she was sure Evie would like it as well. Getting out of her car she walked up to the front of her friend’s house and knocked. Her friend answered and they went inside. Hazel was led into the living where the playpen had been disassembled with the ides stacked up and the bolts and clips together in a bag.
She smiled “It’s perfect April” she said.
“Glad you like it Hazel I hope your friend gets as much use from it as my little ones did”
Hazel had to mentally kick herself not to laugh, “I am sure she’ll love it as will her parents” April looked at Hazel wondering if her friend had said that right, how would a baby be able to enjoy a playpen? And understand? Shaking herself she thought to herself she must have misheard. Hazel then paid her friend for the playpen and the two of them loaded up Hazel’s car with the playpen.
Driving back home Hazel gazed thoughtfully as she drove. Just how big an impact would this have on her life? She wasn’t bothered if it did interfere after all she would have liked a daughter or a second child, but sadly neither of them materialised. She blinked away the tears and carefully pulled over and parked and wept. She’d make sure Evie was looked after this was her chance to lay her own ghosts to rest.

Evie was asleep, as Alicia’s phoned buzzed silently. She pulled it out of her handbag and checked the message. It was Dexter something about a surprise when she got home. Wonder what the old fox is up to she whispered silently to the four walls. They didn’t answer her back. She fired back a message something about not being fair and to tell her what was going on.
Alicia smiled at her niece asleep she got up and quietly crept out of the room to find a nurse. She found one and asked her when her nephew could go home, just stopping herself in time from saying niece. She nurse replied she didn’t know but she’d find a doctor who could give a time frame.
Alicia stood at the nurse’s station watching the buzz of the medical world around her nurses and doctors walking along silently, studiously watching the world slip on by as they cared for the people around them. A short while later Evie’s doctor came along the corridor towards her. He smiled the trust me I’m a doctor smile they all seem to learn. “Hello Miss Jackson I understand you would like to know when Evan can go home?”
Alicia decided not to correct him, though she knew at some point they’d have to be told, “Yes please I would like to know”
“Well looking at his charts and he seems to be doing nicely I think he can go home say the day after tomorrow”
“Thank you doctor I am sure Evan will be pleased to hear that”, she despised herself for using his old name but at the present it had to be done.
Alicia walked back to the room and grinned well if Dexter wanted to play games so could she. Reaching into her handbag she took out her phone and texted Dexter that she too had a surprise that would have to wait till she got home.

Alicia walked in the front door of the house Dexter sat of the bottom of the stairs with a huge grin on his face. “Well who’s going to speak first?” he said. Alicia smiled softly back “Well I guess I will Evie can come home the day after tomorrow”
Dexter’s face lit up “That beats my news easily. Well her room upstairs will start to like a room tomorrow as the cot and highchair arrived this morning”
Alicia looked at Dexter “Your news?”
“Oh, right sorry dear. I’ve asked Clive to be my best man”
“You’ve done what? He’s thirteen Dexter are you sure this is wise?”
Dexter nodded, “Yes I know how old he is but I think it’s a good idea it gives him something to focus on at the minute and allows him to be involved in the wedding. Don’t forget his best friend is the flower girl so offering him a small part is a nice gesture I think”
“Okay dear I get it and that is your decision so I won’t interfere. Just walk him through what needs doing”
The pair of them spent the night making small talk about how life would change in two days time.

The following morning Dexter and Alicia drove to the hospital leaving Clive to do the stencil on the door and take in the pushchair and nappies. Clive stood looking the radically changed room where and Evan used to hang out and smiled. He then turned to look at the door and broke off some masking tape and taped the stencil to the door took a couple of steps back to make sure it was level. Satisfied he started to paint on the stencil of the princess and lower down he stencilled on Evie’s Room. He peeled off some of the cartoon stickers and put them all round the words and grinned. It looked wonderful he was sure Evie would like it, he hoped. Just as he finished the doorbell rang Clive walked down the stairs and answered the door a deliveryman stood there with a long oblong box and a few packages in plastic. Clive signed for the all and put them in the room downstairs then sent a text to Dexter saying the items had arrived. He got a quick reply saying thank you. He then cleaned up the brush and then made himself a coffee and went to watch television till they both came home.

Evie sat with her aunt and uncle she was excited they both told her she could go home the next day and that they had a wonderful surprise for her at home. As with most young girls she wanted to know what the surprise was. They both just smiled at her and said no, Evie tried pouting but they both just laughed and still refused to tell the answer. Evie giggled, “Okies me waits till me gets home den aumtie an unkie”
Both exchanged glances there was no way they could hide this when she got home they’d have to move Evan away quickly. But to do that they’d need Clive to go back to school or at least speak to people milling around outside and start the rumours up.
The doctor came in check Evie over to make sure she was feeling well and no aches or pains beyond the normal level. Evie shook her head the doctor made a few notes on her records and smiled “You can go home tomorrow Evan. I bet you’re glad aren’t you?”
Evie looked up at the doctor “Yes I am thank you” she said weakly trying hard to keep her speech as was expected. “Good lad you’ll need to come back to have the cast off and some physiotherapy to get the muscles back and help you to get your walking back having been off your feet so long” Evie nodded a reply.
The doctor then left the three of them to talk. They spent a quiet morning chatting broken with long silences as they just enjoyed each other’s company.

Hazel knocked on the door of Alicia’s house Clive answered; “Oh, hi mum something wrong?”
“No dear I just wanted to bring over the playpen for Evie”
“Okay mum bring it over and pop it in the downstairs room for now”
Hazel brought the first pair of sides in and propped them on a wall, a couple of trips and the whole process was done. Evie now had her playpen.
“I think she’ll love it”, said Clive “It adds more to the image she has of herself being in the playpen adds the image and feeling of security to her, and for her they are the integral parts of what she wants”
Hazel looked shocked, “You’ve really looked into this haven’t you?”
Clive nodded back, “Yes mum I have I owe it to Evie, I have to understand her mindset so when I’m with her she can sense I know and feel what she does”
Hazel smiled, she knew she’d raised a good caring and compassionate son but this was really going the extra mile.

Dexter, Alicia and Clive finished the take away. The three of them got up and walked to the room Evie would be using till she could get upstairs. Alicia and Dexter got hold of the cot box and started to manoeuvre it up to Evie’s main room. Clive brought up some of the nappy packages. Alicia and Dexter opened up the cot box and started to place the pieces around so it could be easily assembled. Dexter looked at the plans and frowned, “These look a bit complex”
Alicia snatched them from his hand, “Give them here, trust a woman to come to the rescue” Alicia then started to assemble the cot. She grinned at Dexter as he handed her the nuts and bolts to the cot.
The three of them stood back at looked at the cot and they smiled. This was what it was all about. The changing mat was Evie’s old desk and the nappies stacked underneath. It was now looking truly looking to be the room of that belonging to a little girl. Dexter fixed the mobile above the cot a baby monitor was placed on the cabinet next to the cot.
Clive looked at the windows “I think my mum should have the curtains done in a couple of days or so”
“This is now starting to resemble a home” said Alicia “A true home with the movements of a small child bringing in laughter and joy to us” Dexter moved in close to Alicia and held her tightly, “It will be alright dear I promise”

Both of them slept uneasy that night. They knew everything they held would change the next day while they wanted and embraced the changes they still had the crushing fear it could all go wrong.
Alicia woke first and rolled out of bed to go and shower. Dexter got out of his side of the bed and padded out of the bedroom to look in on what would be Evie’s room, he smiled. In the cold light of day it looked so perfect and yes, it was now a girl’s room.
They ate breakfast then Dexter called Clive to come on over as there might well be other deliveries today while they were collecting Evie.

Alicia and Dexter walked into Evie’s room at the hospital full of smiles and joy. Evie was sitting up in bed hugging Jessica with Traci sitting on Jessica’s leg. They both smiled at the sight that greeted them. “If this is what life is going to give us I’ll take it in buckets” whispered Dexter. “Me too darling” replied Alicia “Me too”
They sat down waiting for the doctor to come round and officially discharge Evie.
It was late morning by the time the doctor arrived. He looked at the charts asked the nurses if they’d been any complications, they replied that there hadn’t.
He looked over at Evie and then to Alicia “You can take him home today you just need to sign the discharge papers and it’s all done. I hope you’re soon out and about playing football young man”, said the doctor to Evie. Evie frowned slightly and looked at the doctor as if he was mad. But bit back the obvious reply, “Thank you I’ll try”
“That’s the ticket”
Alicia went off to sign the papers while Dexter helped Evie put her things together and to get dressed. “You feeling okay Evie?”
Evie nodded “I guess. I mean I know this is something I have always dreamt of it’s just now it’s so close I feel nervous about it”
“That’s understandable Evie it’s all new in reality while it’s not new up here” Dexter touched Evie’s head “You’ll find it will work don’t forget your aunt and I fully support you. So does Clive and his mum, we all want you happy Evie”
Evie nodded and whispered a soft “Thank you”

Evie was pushed out of the hospital in wheelchair her bear and dolly sitting in her lap, she held them both tightly. She found it difficult to get into the car as he leg was rigid and her ability to manoeuvre was small. Once in the car they seemed to find a spring in their collective steps, the adults knowing they were bringing home their child, as they saw Evie, and she saw it as the start of her life she had always dreamt of.
Dexter drove carefully and slowly so should he have to brake sharply he wouldn’t distress or hurt Evie.

Dexter pulled into the driveway of the house and got out walked round and opened Evie’s door and helped her get out. He wrapped his arm under her arms and helped her to the front door, which was standing open with Alicia beaming like the Cheshire cat. The first thing they did was show Evie the room she’d be sleeping in for the time being till she could make her way up and down the stairs.
Evie smiled, “Is nice aumtie an unkie fank ooos”
Alicia spoke first “Do you want to see what will be Evie’s room? It’s very special indeed” Evie’s eyes flashed with a light and life that Alicia had never seen in Evan ever. “Pwease me wike to see my woom”
Dexter then lifted her up as if she had weighed nothing and carried her upstairs.
As they got near the top Dexter spoke, “Close your eyes Evie please”
“Okies unkie Dexwer” Evie closed her eyes wondering what the surprise could possibly be. Carefully once on the landing Dexter put Evie down and Alicia slipped the crutches into place for Evie.
“Open your eyes dear”, said Alicia. She opened her eyes and saw the pink door with Evie’s room on it and the princess stencil and the cartoon characters all around it.
Dexter then opened the door Evie stared in amazement she saw the cot, mobile, changing mat, the stack of nappies she then burst into tears. Alicia and Dexter glanced at each other wondering if they had gone too far and got it horribly, horribly wrong.
Dexter bit the bullet, “Is something wrong Evie” Through a mist of tears in her eyes and a lump in her throat she shook her head gently “Nos is perfickt is a weal baby woom” The two adults breathed a sigh of relief.
“We have another two surprises downstairs for you as well”, said Alicia.
Evie smiled at her aunt, “Buts dis is nice enuf nots needs anymores”
Alicia and Dexter laughed, “Sweetie there is so much for you we can’t do it all here”, said Dexter.

Evie was gently carried back downstairs she then hobbled into the living room and a sight she’d only ever dreamed of greeted her. Blinking back more tears she saw the playpen and the toys. She turned to look at the two beaming adults “All dis for Efie?” They both nodded. Evie hobbled over to the pile of toys and gently lowered herself down. Her aunt looked at Evie and decided now was as good a time as any “Evie dear?”
Evie looked up from inspecting her toys, “Wes aumtie?”
“Evie shall we nappy you now?”
Evie nodded happily. Alicia walked over and helped her up and took her to the middle of the floor. She laid Evie down and started to carefully and gently undressed her niece. The clothes got thrown to one side she then unfolded a night time nappy “Can you lift your bottom up?” Evie nodded and did as asked Alicia slid the nappy under her niece. Smiling down “You’ll feel a lot better Evie” she then pulled the middle up and pulled over the two sides and taped them into place. Picking up a pair of pink and white frilled rhumbas Alicia shook them out and then showed them to her. “These are pretty aren’t they dear?” Evie nodded unable to believe her dream and greatest wish was happening, at long last she was living. Alicia slid them over Evie’s legs then got her to lift her bottom again. Alicia carefully pulled them over the nappy then checked to make sure the nappy was fully inside the rhumbas.
She then stood Evie up with her crutches. From a chair she picked up a short dress that matched the rhumbas. Evie gasped, “Oh, aumtie is a pwetty dwess fank ooos”
“Glad you like it dear you have plenty more like that and Clive’s mum is making you some as well. She’s also making you some pretty curtains for your room”
Evie clapped her hands and giggled happily. Alicia beamed back at her niece, “I take it you’re happy?”
“Me is wery happi aumtie fank ooos”
“Good girl Evie”
Dexter sat in the other room listening to the exchange his heart tearing apart with joy he couldn’t believe that something like this could literally bring someone back from the cusp, but it had Evie was now part of the family for good.
Alicia smiled at Evie, “We have one more surprise for you Evie”
Evie looked at her auntie not sure what else there could be, “Wes aumite?”
Dexter hearing this walked in pushing the pushchair, seconds later he put his hands to his ears jokingly as she let out a squeal of happiness.
Evie looked from her aunt to her uncle, “Is all dis weally for mes?”
They both smiled back at her and nodded. Evie walked over slowly to her uncle she could feel the bulk of the night time nappy between her legs and the rustle of the rhumbas, she felt happy this was what she wanted the feeling and sensory touch of being a baby. Dexter guessed what she wanted so he dropped down onto his haunches and hugged her as she made it over. “Glad you approve sweetie” Evie’s head bounced up and down madly.
The pair glanced at each other waiting for each other to take the lead finally Alicia broke the deadlock between the pair, “Evie dear?” Evie scuttled round on her crutches crab-like “Wes aumtie?”
“Well Evie as you see yourself as little two-year old girl you must wait till your uncle or I change you, as little girls can’t tell us they needing changing. Okay sweetie?”
Evie stood for second before she nodded that she understood and it was fine.
“Good girl sweetie. You’ll also have an afternoon nap so you’re not tired and you’ll be in bed by seven in the evening” Once again Evie nodded happily. This is just what I wanted she told herself inside her head, this is the perfect life of a little girl it’s all set and mapped out for her. My life couldn’t be happier at this minute.

Evie was picked up and gently placed in her playpen with her new dollhouse and dolls. Dexter and Alicia walked through to the kitchen. Alicia broke the silence,
“She seems happy enough but don’t forget it’s early days this is all new to her so she’s going to want to try everything”
Dexter nodded, “Yes I know we need to keep an eye on her and make sure that what we see isn’t being forced for our sakes”
“I agree but I think she’s truly at peace with herself and we won’t see anything being forced out”

Evie sat in her playpen she felt uncomfortable she hadn’t relieved herself since this morning when the nurse gave her the bottle to go in. She tried to make herself go but she couldn’t. She frowned and the block got stronger she just couldn’t wet her nappy. She sat down and tried to calm herself down, no point getting upset she thought, as she relaxed she could feel the mental block subsiding, she smiled to herself and went about playing with her dolls. As she started setting up the dolls into moving into their new house she felt the floodgates open and Evie wet her first nappy since she was a baby. She smiled happily to herself all she had to do now was break the barrier permanently that she knew would take some time to do. Evie sat happily in her soaked nappy playing with her dolls.

Alicia walked over and put the kettle on, “We’re going to have to change her while we’re out you know”
“I know dear but we can always say either she’s special needs or just tell them the truth should anyone say anything”
Alicia busied herself setting up the coffee machine it was going to be great to have real coffee again rather than the muck served at the hospital.

Clive sitting up in his room had seen Evie arrive home. He thought best give them some time alone and to show Evie her new room. After an hour he walked over and rang the bell.

Dexter heard the doorbell and looked at Alicia. “Wonder who that is?” he said with a grin. He walked through to the front door as he passed the living room he peered in to see Evie playing she was completely oblivious to the fact the front door bell had gone.
Opening the door he saw Clive. “Hello Dexter everything settled?”
Dexter nodded, “Yes we’re back and got Evie settled down she seems very happy”
Clive looked on edge thought Dexter after all he’d never seen his friend dressed as a little girl before. “It will be okay Clive, she’s very happy she didn’t even know the doorbell had been rung she was enjoying her dolls so much”
“She will know who I am won’t she?”
Dexter nodded, “Yes of course she will”
The pair of them walked through to where Evie was, she looked up from her dolls as she heard the voices coming nearer. Her face lit up as she saw her best friend “Cwife” and clapped her hands. Clive took in the sight that greeted him his best friend sitting in a playpen wearing a pink and white baby dress surrounded by dolls and a dollhouse. While he knew this was what to expect the fact it was now reality just seemed that touch more harder for him to get a grip on. But he pulled himself together he had to for the sake of his friend.
Clive looked at Dexter who gently shook his head to Clive to not say anything about the speech.
Clive walked to the edge of the playpen, “Hello Evie how are you?”
“Me is okies fank ooos Cwife”
“That’s good Evie I’m glad that you’re happy. He pointed to one of the dolls has she got a name?”
Evie nodded, “Me calls her Cwaire she picked up another doll dis one is Beff”
“They’re pretty names”, replied Clive
Evie nodded back seriously “Dey is wery pwetty dowwies Cwife”
Clive smiled he couldn’t ever remember seeing Evan this happy. Yet here he was now in a pink and white dress and nappy going under the name Evie and he was so very happy. He grinned back at Evie, “I’m so glad you’re happy Evie”

Alicia on hearing Clive’s voice got out another mug poured the coffees and set the mugs on a tray along with cream, sugar and spoons. She took the tray into the room where the other three people were, Dexter and Clive took a mug and poured in some cream, Clive took sugar Dexter didn’t. The three of them stood watching Evie who was lost in her own little world she was talking softly and quietly to her dolls. Then she’d reply to one of them when she heard them talk back to her. The two adults and Clive exchanged glances as they slowly began to understand what this was to Evie now she was being herself. While she may have spoken of her dream in the hospital the fact it was now reality made it seem that much real to them and Evie.

Evie watched the three people from inside her playpen and smiled happily to them. She wondered if they truly knew how she felt now. Would they accept that this what she had always dreamt of and that this wasn’t going to go away, she wouldn’t grow tired of play house with her dolls or tea parties. Wet and dirty nappies where part of it as well, being taken out in her pushchair, this was who she was. She was Evie not Evan he was dead never to come back again.

Hazel decided it was time she made an appearance and walked over and rang the bell. Alicia answered, “Hello Hazel nice of you to come over”
“Well I had to see the new addition to the family”, replied Hazel.
The pair of them walked down to the living room Hazel peered round the door and got her first glimpse of Evie. She smiled, “She beautiful and she looks so content”
Alicia nodded, “Yes she does she knows we are here, but it’s as if we aren’t she’s in her own little place with her dolls and enjoying playing with them”
Hazel walked to the playpen “Hello Evie dear it’s auntie Hazel”
Evie looked up from her dolls “Hewo aumtie Wazel”
Hazel glanced at Alicia who shook her head imperceptibly Hazel took the shake and spoke softly to Evie, “How is Evie liking her dolls?”
Evie giggled, “Me wikes me dowws aumtie dey is pwetty”
Hazel smiled down, “Good Evie I am so happy that you’re happy at last and to make you even happier I am making you some more dresses and rhumbas to match”
Evie squealed happily but then noticed that one of dolls had fallen over so she scooted along on her bottom and stood her up. Evie went about playing with her dolls to her as if there wasn’t anyone around, just her and the dolls and the house they all lived in.

The adults and Clive walked out of the room and went into the kitchen they all pulled up stools from the breakfast bar. Hazel glanced at her son, Alicia looked closely at him as well. Clive noticed the looks and reddened, “What?” he said.
Alicia spoke first, “Clive I need you to start spreading the rumours about Evan so we can try and get Evie here so no one suspects anything”
“Sure Miss Jackson no problem, I just hope people buy it”
Clive’s mother turned to Alicia, “I can do some rumours myself I have a coffee morning with some of my friends and I lay some groundwork there too”
“Good as long this all pans out Evie will be free and Evan will have disappeared with one of aunts into the middle of nowhere”

Evie sat looking round the room wondering if this was a dream. Here she was now in the style of dress she’d always wanted one that was short enough to show off her nappy. The nappy was wet and starting to no longer feel warm, but it still felt nice to her. She thought back to the day of the accident and shivered, if the car had missed her none of this would be happening she would still be a sullen miserable person at home her only enjoyment would be at night when she could close her eyes and dream of Evie.

Lunchtime arrived and Dexter came in and picked up Evie and carried her into the kitchen, in the middle of the floor stood a pink highchair with “Evie” painted on it.
Evie’s eyes shone, she had always wanted to sit in one now it was going to happen.
Dexter gently put Evie in the seat then buckled her in and put the tray in place and snapped it shut. He then tied a bib round her neck. “Comfy Evie?” he asked
“Wes unkie Dexwer me is cumfie”
“Good girl Evie. Now sit still and no wriggling”
Alicia then dished up spaghetti and meatballs for them she cut Evie’s up small and gave her a small plastic spoon with a picture of a princess Barbie on it. She smiled and went about using the spoon and her fingers to feed herself. They watched as Evie dropped bits of spaghetti down her front, grateful for the bibs they had bought. Evie giggled as she dropped the food but she just as quickly picked it up and ate it with her fingers.
The adults smiled at each other as watched her regress deeper inside her mind, as she ate not bothering she was getting sauce on her face, fingers and bib. Evie was enjoying herself it felt much easier using fingers than the knife and fork Evan had used. She looked down at her empty bowl and grinned at her aunt and uncle who tried to not laugh as they saw the image of Evie looking at them with sauce all around her lips and on her cheeks, she was a mess but she was happy.

After lunch had finished Alicia cleaned Evie’s face and fingers up and dropped the dirty bib into the washing machine. She then took Evie and sat her down on the couch with Dexter. “Evie dear we need to talk okay?” Evie nodded a reply “Good girl”, replied Alicia. “Now we know this all seems a lot to take in but if it seems as if too much is happening too fast tell us as best you can okay?”
“Okies aumtie me wills” She frowned, “Buts me is happi me nots finks all dis be dones for me. Me finks it jus be der dwesses, nappi and der cot”
“Evie dear”, said Dexter “We both love and care for you very much we want you to fully understand we’ll do our very best so you live as a real two-year old little girl would” Evie nodded back that she understood.
Dexter then went picked up an old storybook that Alicia had kept since her childhood and started reading it to Evie. Evie felt tired after a few minutes her painkillers and the excitement of being home was proving to be a lot for her to handle, she stifled a yawn but Alicia saw it and smiled. “Time for your nap Evie come along and she helped Evie along to her bedroom and settled her down. “I’ll come and wake you in about an hour” Evie smiled and felt her eyelids grow heavy and she soon drifted off into a deep sleep. She woke up and looked around she didn’t know how long she had been asleep but she felt uncomfortable and she knew she needed to go, she closed her eyes and relaxed like she had this morning and she felt herself fill her nappy for the first time. She suddenly had a thought about lying back down, but she knew babies weren’t bothered about it so she lay back down and felt it move around. Slowly she drifted back off to sleep.
The next thing she knew her aunt was waking her up, “Seems someone needs a nappy change” Evie just smiled remembering what had been said earlier. Alicia helped Evie out of bed and with the aid of the crutches Evie hobbled into the living room where her aunt gently laid her down. She pulled off the rhumbas and laid to one side. She untapped the nappy and pulled back in mock shock.
Alicia started to clean Evie up with wipes, and she gently pulled the dirty nappy from underneath her and folded it up then cleaned her underneath she then slid a clean nappy under Evie’s bottom and spread some nappy cream all around Evie’s crotch so she wouldn’t get a rash. Checking the rhumbas for droplets of urine spotting none she slid them back over the nappy and helped Evie to stand up. Checked the nappy was fully inside the rhumbas she patted her on the bottom. “There you go sweetie all clean and dry”
“Fank ooos aumtie”, replied Evie
“You’re welcome Evie my dear. Glad to be of use”
A tiny giggle emerged from Evie. She hobbled out of the room and along to where her uncle was sitting. Dexter could hear Evie coming along easily the uncertain movements and the thump of the crutches striking the floor made the sound easy to pick up. “Well how did my little princess sleep?”
“Sweepings well unkie fank ooos”
“Good that is what I like to hear Evie my little one getting some sleep”
Evie giggled she hobbled past her uncle so she could sit down. Dexter held her round the waist and gently helped her sit down. She felt the air woosh out of her rhumbas as she sat down. She looked up at Dexter, “Pwease weadings sum mores?”
Dexter felt a lump in his throat he looked at Evie, “Sure Evie no problem”
He picked up the book and continued reading from where he had left off. Evie sat entranced by the story he could tell she loved it, she was holding her breath and clapping in places she liked. Dexter smiled this is the life he thought a happy child and the job now of being a parent. His voice as the struggled to break the lump in his throat, Evie looked up at the change in voice from her uncle. “Ebebyfings okies?”
Blinking back the tears Dexter nodded, “Yes Evie, I’m fine sweetie”
The child just nodded, she trusted her aunt and uncle to look after and know when she wasn’t well so why not trust them when they say that they’re fine?

Across the road Clive and Hazel had spent some time trying to find the solution to all the problems Evan. While they knew he had to go, it had to be seen to be a natural movement. So eventually they settled on some rumours about Evan and Dexter having disagreements and Alicia siding with Dexter.
Clive decided the best way to work it would be to start now while they thought about and before they changed their minds and altered the idea.
He walked along the street to the school and waited outside till some of his and Evan’s classmates come out. They were happy to see him and asked how Evan was giving Clive the perfect opportunity to sow the seeds of doubt into their minds. So he told them of the arguments and disagreements between Evan, Dexter and Alicia and how bad it was getting. He also slipped in that Alicia was considering sending Evan to live with a distant aunt His friends looked shocked but they took the news and walked off home, some into other groups where they told them what Clive had said, Clive knowing how the school rumour mill works knew it would have been highly embellished by now and would only get more highly polished and altered by the time it got back to his ears via goodness knows how many sources.
This could even work better he thought as he wandered back home. He took care crossing the road where he and Evan, no Evie he corrected himself, had crossed what now seemed a lifetime away. He trudged back home his hands dug deep inside his pockets as his listened to his music. His mother gave him a quizzical look as he came in via the back door. “Well honey how did it go?”
“Better than I think we could hope for I suspect the school rumour mill and grapevine will radically alter the story and facts, before we know it everyone will totally believe Evan is moving away”
Hazel nodded, “Good that’s what we want to hear”
Hazel phoned and quickly told Alicia that they had started the ball rolling on sending Evan away.

Evie sat and listened to Dexter tell the story then they put on some cartoons on for her. Evie sat and watched them laughing throughout. Evie tried her relaxing method and soaked her nappy again. She hoped that she’d get to the point where she would wet and not even know she had wet her nappy just like a real baby she thought that’s what I want to be able to do.
Teatime came and Evie was once again popped into her highchair. Alicia put down a bowl of fish fingers cut up small and some chips. Evie this time ignored the spoon and used her fingers only. Dexter and Alicia watched their daughter unfold like a flower before their eyes she was changing with each passing moment into the girl she had dreamt of her whole life.
Evie had her fingers and mouth wiped after she had eaten at least it wasn’t as bad as lunchtime her aunt said silently to herself. She then unlocked the tray and unbuckled Evie and lifted her out of the highchair. Evie then hobbled through to the living room she gently got herself onto the floor where she started playing with her dolls.

Alicia walked into the living room to change Evie. A piercing scream rent the air.
Dexter ran into the living room Alicia sat on the floor holding a limp and pale looking Evie. “Phone an ambulance honey” Dexter stood there motionless “Now!” screamed Alicia. Dexter ran to the phone and dialled. Alicia held Evie as the tears poured down her cheeks. She noticed a piece of paper lying on the floor she picked it up and read it.
“I can’t stop being Efie ever”

The End?

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

evan"s new life

when will we see some more of this story as it seem"s that the story is not finished so will you be adding any more to it {Highlight to read}

NO THE END!

I have not finished chapter 3 but PLEASE PLEASE KEEP GOING!!!
Also wanna chat on IM?

My AIM is TBMagusFurry

what was the point of jasmine

licorice's picture

what was the point of jasmine's story if she was just going to be killed?