Team Meeting - Part 7 - Becoming Real

Printer-friendly version

Becoming Real

 
A Team Meeting Story
by Andrea Lena DiMaggio

Copyright © 2010 Andrea Lena DiMaggio
All Rights Reserved.

 

Some things are just
more important than sports...

 


Caught in a dream of where I want to be
Wrapped in a web of where I am
I feel a wall between what is and what should be
You find me waiting for a miracle
You hear me praying for a plan
You are the only one prepared to rescue me

"Mom?" Paulie walked into the living room and found his mother sitting in the rocker by the front window, holding a picture album. She had it open to a photo of her holding Stefano the day they came home from the hospital.

"Oh, Paulie, how are you honey? I haven't seen you for hours." Paulie stood back. He did not want his mother to see he had been crying.

"I...I've just been playing X-Box, Mom." He smiled at her, confident that in the shadows she saw nothing.

"I've been looking at pictures, honey." She opened to another page. "You won't remember this, but this is you the first time you held him in your arms. Your daddy was so worried you'd drop him. See the hand behind you? That's your dad. He was gripping your shirt so you wouldn't fall over. She laughed.

Paulie had wondered whether or not he would ever laugh again. At least he could breathe a sigh of relief. Rocco and Tony hadn't learned from the horrible act they all committed. Three weeks after Stefano's death, the pair tried to rob a bodega downtown. They didn't count on their unloaded gun being so provocative, which led to the storeowner shooting both of them in the chest at point blank range with a shotgun.

"Come on, Mom, have something to eat." Paulie insisted. His mother looked at him with a wistful smile.

"You know he looked up to you." A wonderful thing for a mother to say to her son, but it felt like a dagger had just pierced his heart.

"Paulie, he never told you. He didn't want to disappoint you, but he and I had our secret." She opened the album to another page. A picture taken at Breslin's Photo down the block. Two figures looking like they were going to Sunday brunch after church. A mother and her daughter. Both in lovely dresses and wrist-length gloves, like the Magnolia sisters. But the picture wasn't of a girl's day out. It was a photo that Rosa had the photographer take of her and her son; her transgender son, the sister that Paulie never know about.

Paulie took one look at the picture and his stomach began to churn. He ran into the bathroom and promptly threw up in the toilet. The picture itself wasn't repulsive. To be sure, seeing the last photo of his brother and finding out that his mother had encouraged that made him think of why his brother was killed, which led to his own guilt.

He turned on the cold water and put his head under the faucet. Standing up, he reached for a towel and came face to face with his own reflection in the newly replaced mirror. The face across from him seemed to change, and he saw, not his brother, but his belatedly discovered 'sister,' who smiled as before. This time he thought he actually heard the words,

"I forgive you." The trouble was, it wasn't his sister's forgiveness he sought that day.

“I forgive you,” the voice repeated. Only his father’s face had taken the place of his erstwhile sister. “Tell her.” The voice was soothing and gave him strength. He wiped the tears from his face which was an exercise in futility as they continued to flow. He walked back into the living room. His mother had the saddest look on her face, but she brightened as she took note of Paulie’s appearance.

“Mom, Mo….mom?” He began to sob. She looked at him and opened her arms.

“It’s okay, honey, we’ll get through this. I miss him too.” She said softly as he fell to his knees and placed his head in her lap. He started to shake.

“What’s this? Paulie? What’s wrong?”

“Ma mom….I’m….” He tried to speak but the words kept getting choked off by his sobs. Rosa stroked his hair.

“Don’t you worry, honey. It’s going to be alright.” She kissed his forehead. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

“It’ll never be right ever again, Mom.” He managed to get out before he collapsed once again into her lap, overwhelmed by the gravity of what he was about to say. She continued to stroke his hair.

"Dormi, dormi Ninna nanna, ninna nanna dormi bambino bello dormi cu' tuo mama sta ninna nanna ch'io ti canto non t'a scordari piá¹ dormi dormi ninna nanna" ("Sleep, sleep lullaby, lullaby, sleep, precious baby sleep with your mama this lullaby I'm singing for you, please don't forget it sleep, sleep lullaby") She sang but he lifted his head and shook it.

“No, mama, no…no sleep ever again.” He sobbed. “Mama…I was there.” He looked at her as if his expression would let her know, but she asked?

“Paulie, what? What?” She looked in his eyes and the look back was one of utter despair; like a child who had lost his innocence, which Paulie had.

“I was there….I saw it…I saw it all.” He wiped his face with his sleeve in a futile attempt to staunch the flow of tears.”

“You saw it…oh…my baby!” She pulled him into herself and began to coo into his ear.

“No. Mom! I was there…I watched it happen…and I did nothing. to stop them!”

“It’s okay, Paulie…you were scared…I understand…It’s okay” He stood up and cried at her,

“Noooooo. Mom…you don’t understand. I helped them….I helped them kill Stevie!” He turned away and buried his face in his arm against the wall. Rosa jumped up and ran to him.

“What do you mean, you helped them?” She practically screamed. “Paulie, Paulie answer me!”

“They were going to beat up some kids and I tagged along. I held their jackets while they killed my baby brother. Oh, Mommy I am so sorry. I am so so sorry.” He cried and cried.

She walked to him and pulled him around and looked at him with the most hurt and angry look he had ever seen. And then she slapped him in the face. She began pounding on his chest with her fists. He offered no resistance.

“Killer…killer….I hate you…I hate you.” She said it over and over. She wasn’t a strong woman; the blows did no harm, but her anger hurt more than any pain he had ever known. And then she stopped.

“Oh, Paulie…Paulie, I am so sorry…I don’t hate you. I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” Now she was the one who pled. She was the one who wept while he just stood there. And then he turned his back. Not in anger but because he felt he didn’t deserve her mercy and apologies. He would never ever be able to face his mother again. He began weeping harder than he had ever in his life as he closed his eyes and he saw his sister’s face…the face of an angel.

Rosa grabbed him and pulled him close. He tried to push her away, but even in her weakened state she was determined.

“No….Mommy…I killed Stevie…you ….no…don’t….Mommy…don’t.” He begged her to let go but she held on.

“No Paulie, I lost one son, I am not going to lose another.” She kissed him and he felt her tears trickle down his neck. He tried once again to pull away but he couldn’t. He gave up and fell to the floor.
His sobs were almost animal like as he wailed with inconsolable grief.

“Nooo….nooo….Mommy…I’m sorry….I’m sorry.” He cried over and over. She fell to the floor and held him in her arms, almost like the man had held Stevie days before. And though he took a breath, and would continue, his eyes were as lifeless as the eyes of the pretty girl he knew as his brother, but without the peace and serenity; he was twice dead and alive at the same time

“Bello Bello, mi figlio…dormi bambino bello,” she said over and over until they both were sitting in the dark hours later.


“Mrs. Scialpi, if you insist on this course of action, I’m afraid I won’t be able to defend your son.”
Cal Penetente looked at her and shrugged his shoulders. “I can’t mount any type of defense with the concessions you want to give the DA.”

“Mr. Penetente. I believe you misunderstand. I don’t want you to defend my son. There is no defense for what he did.”

“That seems awfully harsh, Mrs. Scialpi.” Cal had worked with difficult parents in representing teens, but Mrs. Scialpi was an enigma. She seemed genuinely supportive and loving of her son, but she had refused Cal’s advice, which was not only wise, but perhaps Pauli’s best hope for freedom.

“Not harsh, Mr. Penetente not at all. I want you to demonstrate to the court that my son is remorseful and very willing to accept the justice that his act requires.” Any other mother would have sounded cold, but the tears in her eyes were evidence that she loved her son.

“Mr. Penetente? I want to do this…I need to do this…for Stevie’s sake.” Pauli was truly trying to change, but he still struggled saying his sister’s name.”

“Paul…you have to remember this. I know this is difficult, but even with the deal with the DA, if you show no change in your attitude, however small, the judge is going to throw the book at you.”

“He is trying, Mr. Penetente. He never knew that his brother and I shared the secret”

“Mrs. Scialpi. Paul is facing a long time in prison; perhaps the maximum sentence; eight to ten years. You shouldn’t have agreed to the terms without knowing the charge.”

“We understand, but we also have faith that God knows my boy’s heart and before this is over the judge will as well.” She smiled at Cal and turned to hug her son.

“Mom, I don’t care… I just want to get this over. Daddy said…I have to face this. I deserve to die, mom. I deserve to die.” He began to weep. That he felt no hope at all was apparent. But he didn’t care about the hope of freedom. He had lost all hope for his own humanity and wept over the loss of ever being alive again.


“I have you in chambers so we can discuss the plea agreement you both have reached.” The judge looked at the DA and Cal Penetente.

“It’s highly unusual for a defendant to enter into a plea arrangement before gaining an understanding of the terms. Young man?” The judge looked at Paulie.

“Has your attorney explained the arrangements for your plea?” Paulie nodded. His mother spoke.

“Your honor, if I may?” She looked at the Judge, who nodded and said,

“Of course, Mrs. Scialpi.”

“I just wanted you to know that Paulie is prepared to accept whatever consequences the court deems appropriate.” She smiled and sat back.

“Well then, if that’s the case, I shall see you all in court in one hour.”


“Are the terms of the plea arrangement agreeable to both the District Attorney and the Defendant?”

“Yes, Your Honor, Cal said and nodded to Paulie.”

“Your honor, while the District Attorney’s office is amenable to the plea, we take exception to the fact that the Department of Justice has stated it may pursue federal charges related to the ‘Hate Crimes’ statute. That in itself may nullify any and all agreements this office and the defendant have before the court.

“Duly noted, Counsel. The State has already been appraised of the unique circumstance concerning this case. The primary suspects in this case are deceased, and there are no corroborating witnesses other than the defendant concerning the nature of this crime. Barring any new evidence, the State will be sorely pressed to mount an indictment. Now, to the matter at hand. The judge looked at Paulie and continued.

“Young man, in agreement with the District Attorney, the court has decided to forgo any stipulation regarding the crime in deference to your mother. Have you been apprised by your attorney of the arrangement into which you are about to enter?”

“Yes, Your Honor.” Paulie put his head down, not out of disrespect but shame, which was understandable, and guilt, which was entirely appropriate.

“Is there anything you would like to say to this court before I pass out sentencing?” The Judge sounded stern, but the look on his face seemed almost fatherly.

“Yes, Your Honor.” The Judge nodded and Paulie began.

“I did not mean to hurt my….” He paused. Try as he may, he struggled with and found it difficult to call Stefano his sister. Nevertheless, he pushed past his own fear and ignorance.

“I did not mean to hurt my …sss…sister.” He wasn’t hesitating out of unfamiliarity. In that one moment he realized just whom he had lost. Someone who had always looked up to him and someone he cared about too little to understand.

‘BBButtt….I meant to hurt someone. I know I didn’t….” He sobbed for a few seconds and then composed himself.

“I …..I may as well have killed..kkkkkillled her myself. If I didn’t look out for them….. she.. ssshheed be alive today…..MOOOmmmy I am soo sorry.” He put his hand over his face and wept.

“It…it’s my fault…I deserve to die for this…..doesn’t it say that somewhere….I killed my sister.”

He wasn’t being maudlin or histrionic. His heart was rent in two by the realization that he’d never see her again. The boy he taught how to ride a bike. The friend he had when he felt lonely. The child who saw him as a hero. The sister he’d never ever know… He collapsed into his chair and wept at the knowledge that his sister was lost to him forever. Some might say that would be punishment enough, but even in his loss, he began to understand that the world didn’t revolve around Paulie Scialpi.

“I think it best that we take a recess. It’s nearly noon, so let’s all plan on being back here at one-thirty.” The judge banged his gavel and the crowd emptied as he retreated to chambers. Paulie sat in his chair, still weeping, almost a wail of utter despair as his mother put her hands out palms down; wanting to comfort her son while her grief over her daughter prevented her.


The judge sat at his desk. He stared at the photo of his daughter. She would have been about college age, had she lived. His own heart ached for the loss that Mrs. Scialpi felt as he thought of his own daughter’s murder as a high-school senior. Her case had never been solved, leaving both him and his wife in doubt and without closure.

His anger still burned against the unknown forces…fate? Kismet? Karma? Whatever grand design that included his daughter’s death escaped him, and he remained without solace even after three years. He thought of Mrs. Scialpi; torn in two. How she must hate her son; how she must love her son? He looked once again at the picture, put his arms on the table, placing his head tentatively on his arms, as if he had no right; he was a judge, wasn’t he? But he was a father as well. He turned his head to the side, glanced once more at her picture and wept.
 

There is a way that might seem right to me
A dim reflection of what’s good
Just an illusion of the best that I can be
But there’s another path you offer me
I wish I always understood
Some way you see right through my thoughts
And know my needs

“I have reached what I consider to be not only fair and just, but a compelling decision. I believe there is no other recourse for me but for what I am about to pronounce. Will the defendant please rise?”

Paulie stood slowly and shakily. He was not fearful of the sentence. No bravado, his confidence lie in the fact that he believed that whatever the judge decided, it couldn’t be any worse or unbearable than the gaping hole in his soul from the twin losses of his sister and his own innocence.

“Paul James Scialpi, in accordance with the plea arrangement made between you and the court, you have pled guilty to murder in the third degree. Your indifference to the victim led to her untimely death. It is not enough to say that you didn’t know who the victim was; you went with parties unknown to render bodily harm to same victim. That the decedent was your sister has no bearing in your verdict. Therefore, in accordance with the laws of this state, you are sentenced to six years”

He paused before continuing. “…with all but twelve months minus one day suspended.” The courtroom began to buzz, causing him to bang his gavel.

“For the record, there are no mitigating factors in this decision. However, I am taking into consideration that the defendant’s mother is also the mother of the decedent. Furthermore, barring any change in behavior or attitude, this court feels that the defendant’s and the state’s needs intersect, and that justice will be better served with the sentence as pronounced…In short, no one, including the court, benefits from this boy going to prison.’ He paused to see any change in Paul’s demeanor. Paul remained tearful.

“The remainder of the sentence will be served under the supervision of the Open Arms Community Fellowship. Pastor Nan Infante will be the primary supervisor of the defendant. Mr. Scialpi will reside with Rev. Infante and her partner, Inez Rodriguez, who will also provide supervision for the defendant. Mr. Scialpi will serve the church and any ministry decided upon for no less than forty hours a week, with his primary responsibilities working at the church teen coffee house. Suitable arrangements will be made for Mr. Scialpi to receive visits from his mother and to visit her on occasion.” He paused and looked at the courtroom.

“Mr. Scialpi. There is no atonement for what you did. Nothing can redeem the loss of your sister; your mother’s only other child. Hopefully this will be an opportunity for Paul Scialpi to be redeemed. It is my fervent prayer that it does. Good luck, son. This court is adjourned.”

The crowd was stunned into silence. Paulie sat down and wept. Rosa walked around the gate and shook Cal Penetente’s hand before sitting down next to her son. She was weeping for joy, since she felt the court was entirely fair and just. Paulie wept because he felt the court was entirely unfair; he deserved to die. He looked into his mother’s eyes and for the first time he saw the resemblance between her and Stefano…no, he said to himself. Steffie. He closed his eyes and saw her face again before he dissolved once more into a sea of tears.

Then you take away the distance
Found between the truth and me
And you give a simple reason to my restless rhyme
Whoa, hide me in the heaven
You have held within your hand
And make a way to find a way to soothe my mind

Based in Part on Acts 9:1-9 and I Timothy 1:15-19

Next: Becoming Whole


A Way performed by
Words and Music by
Tim Marsh, Michael W. Smith & Gary Chapman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5x4Mdjn5w


Please note: Under most modern statutes in the United States, murder comes in four scenarios: (1) intentional murder; (2) a killing that resulted from the intent to do serious bodily injury; (3) a killing that resulted from a depraved heart or extreme recklessness; and (4) murder committed by an Accomplice during the commission of, attempt of, or flight from certain felonies.
 
Since Paulie's decision to act as a lookout enabled his friends to commit the crime that resulted in his sister's death, he was convicted for scenario number three; depraved heart or extreme recklessness.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Third-degree+m...


up
62 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I feel a Bit Better

littlerocksilver's picture

'Drea,

You tear my heart out and stomp on it. If only I had the wisdom you have shown in your writing this story, things might have been better.

Portia

Portia

"Drea, you have caught the

"Drea, you have caught the utter inconsolable pain that wrenches a parents heart when they lose a child and even caught the the same pain as it coursed thru Paulie's mind. I do admire the judge's sentence and decree regarding Paulie's actions/non-actions and I do believe by the time Paulie has completed his sentence, he will be a much better and loving person for it. Hopefully, he and his Mother can reconcile over time, as I am sure she is only at the very beginning of a forgiveness stage; regardless of what she is now saying to anyone. Jan

Redemption

Well, Paulie now has a chance to salvage his soul (and I mean this in a metaphysical sense more than a religious one) and redeem himself. Maybe even learn to help other people somewhere down the road and make up for all the crap he's dished out up to now. I trust he'll gain a new outlook on love, tolerance and inclusiveness while working for a lesbian minister.

Thanks for dispatching his two "friends" off-screen. I didn't need any more blood and gore.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

I don't know what to say...

I think the earlier comment about ripping hearts out and stomping on them was pretty much on the money. You do it so well.

Thank you

Sean_face_0_0.jpg

Abby

Battery.jpg

Atonement and - maybe - Redemption

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Maybe not an optimistic chapter, but certainly more positive, more redemptive. That Paulie has belatedly come to terms with his sister and realises what must happen now to atone for his crimes is positive. Not that he can ever truly atone for his role in the taking of anothers life. As a story, this chapter works well as a counterpoint to the darkness of the previous part.

And on behalf of my poor tummy and brain, thank you for having the violence 'off-screen' this time! More seriously, by not showing the deaths of the other two it doesn't overshadow Paulie's story and keeps the focus on his quest for atonement.

This hasn't been an emotionally easy story to read at times (and part of me misses the positiveness of the earlier chapters a little) but it has been a rewarding read so far.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Bugger And Other Euphemisms

joannebarbarella's picture

You gone done it to me again. Tears and more tears,

Joanne

There but for the grace of God

laika's picture

This part of the TEAM MEETING series is hard to read, but it manages to make us feel sympathy---or is it empathy?---for someone who has done something unspeakable, who was until recently the sworn enemy of people like us- violent, ruled by hate and an odious code of masculinity that told him dress wearing weirdos needed to be punished simply for being who they were. People like him scare me, and it's tempting to say that if he's now suffering because he has seen to late just how wrong he was, well good then, he deserves it! This makes sense if there's no possiblity of redemption for something so awful. And it's simpler and more comfortable to believe this, we sleep well at night knowing that we have nothing in common with someone like Paulie, that we could never, ever find ourselves in his position. For me this is probably true when it comes to hate crimes; there's nobody on earth I hate enough to crush their skull with a baseball bat. I don't think so anyway. But is this due to some amazing intrinsic goodness on my part, or simply that I lucked out, that I wasn't raised where Paulie was, wasn't taught and didn't digest the same warped values as him? Perhaps if I wasn't transgender myself, and had no understanding of what it's like I could have bought into the same evil nonsense as him. Or maybe not, these sorts of "what if" speculations aren't something that can be proven one way or the other. But there is something in my history that helps imagine the horrible situation he has put himself in, his sense of utter damnation. I spent a number of years staying as drunk as I could, and on any given day I mignt have done something stupid that got some innocent people killed. Manslaughter isn't motivated by hatred, it's not really motivated at all, but the result is the same for both its victims and perpetrators; and I do know people who bear the guilt of having squashed someone with their car, and I'm haunted by the knowledge that IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME. And in a further stretch of changed circumstance I think that Paulie's lot could also have been mine. It's humbling to consider this, the old "there but for the grace of God go I" thing. So I really hope that some degree of redemption is possible for him, even if he doesn't "deserve" to feel anything but horrible for the rest of his life. The hope of salvation---whether literally divine or simply psychological---for a sinner as far gone as him means hope for us all ......... (Did that make sense? Hope so...)
~~~hugs, Laika

The loss.

Well Drea, you teach the lesson well and you capture the sense of utter loss exquisitely.
I hope the boy learns his lesson.
Will the gun laws of America ever change I ask myself, or must that nation remain as a ('shoot first, ask questions later, juvenile society') that is consequently so hated by the rest of the planets peoples because of the imposition of their unwelcome will.
It's not the excess of guns and arms that offends other nations, it the hypocaracy surrounding their availability.
Sadly the Americans face an impossible conundrum. If they ban guns, how will they defende themselves against the excesses of an unrepresentative government. (How many more votes did Al Gore get than George Bush? Was it really as much as 2 million?!)
A system that thus enables a bigoted, fundamentalist, xenophobic, criminal drunk driver to become it's leader is a system that will create a nation bound to eventually fail.
Guns kill! Hand guns are now completely illegal in Britain. It might be a good idea to remove shooting entirely from the Olympic Games. Shooting isn't a sport, it's a means to an end; usually a pretty fatal one.
Your story is excellent and very very moving. The loss of a child can never be replaced.

Thanks for your contribution,

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

hitting the bottom to come back up

"There is no atonement for what you did. Nothing can redeem the loss of your sister; your mother’s only other child. Hopefully this will be an opportunity for Paul Scialpi to be redeemed." The judge had it just right. No punishment would be enough for what he did. But he isnt a lost cause himself thanks to his own guilt, so there is hope for him, that having hit the bottom, he will come back up.

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

PLUs: People Like Us...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Are the only true people. the rest are just animals or lower!

That's the SICK lesson being taught in some churches, mostly fundamentalist, but others as well. Dear God, save us from being like THOSE people! Where is that passage in the Bible? Can't seem to find it in mine! When did some sick people start believing in a God of Hate?

Of course if you're really small minded and thinking really hurts, you may want someone to spoon feed you every thought and belief. Hey, THOSE people are are evil: The preacher said so. Thank God I don't have to think. And since the bigoted bastard of a preacher told me they were evil (Not like us) they don't have any rights and we can hurt them or even kill them and we'll be doing God's work! I picture of a church full of people yelping "THINK?!" in the way Maynard G. (stood for Walter) Krebs yelped "WORK?!" and jumped or fainted dead away!

Whatever happened to acceptance, or at the least tolerance? You don't have to associate with people who are different, though you'll miss out on some rich and rewarding friendships. But you won't be doing God's work. And, IF, you finally get it: Guilt Sucks!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!