Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 977.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 977
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Just bloody wonderful: now I have a shrink who thinks I’m angelic–well they’re all barmy anyway. I shrugged and set about getting the younger generation off to bed. By the time I’d finished–the last one was Julie–I was knackered and as I came downstairs to make my last cuppa of the night, Tom returned from his meeting.

Stella came in from the utility room, she’d been drying nappies in the tumble drier, “I like Stephanie,” she chuckled, “she’s as nutty as a fruit cake.”

“Aye, nutty as a dormoose dinner, according to ma dochter.”

“Oh yes, the Dumfries Dormouse counter.” I didn’t know why Stella had suddenly remembered I’d been born in Scotland.

“What has my place of birth to do with anything?” I asked feeling a bit defensive–Stella can be quite cruel when she gets going.

“Och, it means ye canna be a’ bad.”

“Very funny,” I responded to Tom.

“Weel it’s trew, lassie.”

“As my daughter seems to think I’m an angel, who am I to argue–especially when her psychiatrist seems to agree.”

“But we’re agreed she’s as barking as a bus load of spaniels.”

“Ye leave ma Kiki oot o’ this, she’s no barking.”

As if to prove him wrong; Kiki started to bark in the conservatory where she presumably wanted to go out. We both broke into laughter and Tom sullenly went off to deal with his dog.

“Why are you embarrassed about being Scottish?” asked Stella folding the last of the nappies.

“I’m not.”

“Not what–embarrassed or Scottish?”

“Both, I’m not embarrassed nor am I Scottish.”

“But if you were born there, surely you are.”

“No–loads of Brits were born abroad in places like Germany because their parents were in the army, they’re still Brits aren’t they, they’re not German.”

“Unless they want to be–dunno about the army, but if anyone is born somewhere to parents of a different nationality to that country, don’t they have dual nationality.”

“I don’t know and care even less. I’ve lived all my life except a few weeks in the beginning, in England. ’So God for Harry, England and St George.’

“Who d’you think you are? Kenneth Brannagh?”

“Why, did he do Joan of Arc?”

“I hate to say this, but she was French.”

“I thought she was Noah’s wife.” I fought hard to keep my face straight.

“Noah’s wife? Eh?” she looked confused for a moment then began to laugh. “Wrong ark, you pillock.”

“I’m a pillock of the community,” I said proudly thrusting my chest out. Stella cackled like an old witch and plonking the basket of nappies down, ran off to the loo.

“Whit’s thae matter wi’ her?” asked Tom, being bustled out of the way as he came back to the kitchen.

“I think her sense of humour is stronger than her bladder.”

He chuckled, “Nivver become a professor, unless ye want tae be in meetin’s wi’ constipated ol’ farts, wha dinna hae tha brains they were born wi’. I’m gang tae hae a wee dram before I gang as crazy as them.”

“Good meeting then,” I smirked at him.

“Och, yer scunner.” He went into his study to pour himself a glass. Have I mentioned he has one of those large globe things, which opens to reveal bottles of booze and some glasses. They were popular in the seventies I think. I switched on the kettle and pulled out two mugs from the cupboard.

“Are you making tea?” Stella asked, returning to the kitchen to collect her nappies. They’re not actually her nappies, they belong to Puddin’ although Stella bought them, so I suppose they are hers but it’s Puddin’ who wears them. I’m glad I cleared that up.

“I’ve got a mug for you,” I replied.

“Good-o, be back in a sec.” She ran off to put the nappies in the airing cupboard. Have a mentioned the airing cupboard? It’s quite large, like a walk in closet with shelves on both sides and the hot water tank at the end. It also has one of those wooden drying rails suspended from the ceiling.

I made the tea and poured two mugs, then sat at the table to drink mine. Stella came back first and sat with me, “I think you may have company tonight.” She smiled benignly, which was probably the opposite to her tone.

“Which one is it?”

“The big one.”

“I’m not surprised, I think Stephanie stirred up as much as she sorted.”

“They do sometimes–you know doctors, the more pain, the greater the gain.”

“In psychiatry, I’d have thought that was completely wrong–in fact in most medical situations.”

“Can you have a medical situation–apart from employing a doctor?”

“Well treatment or therapy or whatever they call it–you’re the nurse, you should know.”

“Medical procedure, perhaps?” she virtually crowed. Much more of this and I’ll feed her to the dormice.

“Poo, I’ve forgotten what we were talking about now.”

“So’ve I,” she laughed and I did too.

“I’m glad ye twa can find thae energy t’ laugh.”

“Well we haven’t been with a dozen dry as dust professors, have we?” I offered.

“Jest eleven o’them we’re dry as dust, I’m weel moisturised, I’ll hae ye ken.” That cracked both of us up and I went to bed still chuckling at Tom’s Edinburgh accent talking about being moisturised. Does that make him a wet?

I cracked open my bedroom door and Julie was fast asleep in my bed. I changed into my pyjamas and cleaned my teeth as quickly and quietly as I could and slipped into bed. I left the bedside lamp on as I tried to concentrate on my book, but my mind was flitting to the next day and also to the softly breathing form lying next to me.

Tomorrow Maureen would be back, she’d been off organising stuff for some of the banks most of the weekend. I suspect she would be glad of the money which Henry would arrange to pay her, quickly being aware of her financial predicament. If she was going to get in thirty hours for me this week, she’d need to work pretty well full time for the next four days. That’s for her to sort out, I have enough on my plate.

I switched off the light, then nearly jumped out of bed–it was Livvie’s birthday at the weekend. I’ll have to get her presents from the others and Simon and myself. I knew what I’d be doing tomorrow–more blessed shopping. She could do with a new watch, so maybe I’ll get her a nice one, but not too nice–it’s only likely to get stolen or lost. She could also do with a new school bag and some new trainers. Must get her a card and some wrapping paper, too.

I was nudged out of my reverie by a funny noise. I stopped to listen and discovered it was a sob coming from my left. I switched the light back on, Julie was fast asleep but she was sobbing.

I stroked her head and told her she was safe and secure with me. It took a little while but she eventually reverted to ordinary sleep and the crying stopped. Perhaps it was just as well she had come to sleep with me. This poor kid has undergone so much trauma in her short life–I hoped and prayed that she might be spared the PTSD that could occur from it all, and tried to send the blue light into her dreams to make them restful ones which would help her forget the problems she’d had. I wasn’t confident it would work, but I knew it would do no harm.

I was sending her love when I fell asleep myself, because I awoke a couple of hours later with the bedside light still burning and a stiff neck.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oops

Am I the first. I was just waiting for the next ephisode to come through and Voila.
I'm becoming an addict.
Oh heck.
I hope this nevers stops!

bev_1.jpg

Hummm, that would be a nice

Hummm, that would be a nice gift to be able to cure PTSD via the blue light. It would be of great benefit to all the military members of the US, UK, Aus, and other countries involved in Iraq and Afganistan; plus others like Julie and yes, even Cathy, who have had some severe physical and/or mental issues thrust upon them. Jan

Well, yes...

20 votes IS a score of votes... :-)

Well earned, too...

Blue Light Special

littlerocksilver's picture

A one time major retailer, now joined with Sears, Roebuck & Co used to have 'Blue Light Specials'. They had a cart with a flashing blue light. There would be an announcement over the PA that there ws a blue light special in aisle such and such, and everyone was supposed to rush over and buy whatever. Hopefully, Cathy will never have to stoop so low.

Portia

Portia

Great episode

Welcome to a typical evening in the Cameron Clan's household - a completely random conversation (love the "Pillock of the Community" comment), followed by the seriousness of comforting Julie. As well as being beneficial to her life as a whole, learning to cope with moments of high stress (like her dad nearly killing her) will serve her useful when the Mafia next pay them a visit (just like the Daleks in Doctor Who, you may be able to get rid of them for a while, but they'll always come back when you're least expecting them! But unlike the aforementioned series, Angharad mercifully doesn't give us three months worth of trailers beforehand!)

-oOo-

In other news I've completed the 800s in the Bike Summaries - so I've just got the 700s to do before PS and I announce our next hare-brained Bike-related project...

You have been warned :)

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Glad to see the issue of ownership

of the nappies resolved. Thought it was very sweet of Cathy to try sending Julie some love via the blue light. That and a cuddle probably did her a huge amount of good.

was refering to

this paragraph...

“Are you making tea?” said Stella coming back to the kitchen to collect her nappies. They’re not actually her nappies, they belong to Puddin’ although Stella bought them, so I suppose they are hers but it’s Puddin’ who wears them. I’m glad I cleared that up.

Reminds me of silly discussions I have in my own head that mean nothing to anyone else but seem important enough to think about at the time.

It's a nice twist.

To have the blue-light work in dreams to heal might be something great. I'm going to agree with the rest in saying something like this would be so wonderful for so many in real life.
Sigh, but this is why we love fiction, fantasy, writing because here we can do the impossible.
There's some interesting writing potential here too. Has anyone here seen the movie The Cell.

Bailey Summers

The Daily Dormouse.

I am guessing that Cathy's Blue Light is like the Green Lantern's power ring, limited only by her imagination to heal.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Poor Julie

as Cathy has said she has had so much trauma to contend with, So here's hoping the blue light can help her live a more normal teenagers life free from thoughts of her father....My fingers are crossed for her future happiness.

I wonder if Livvie will be having a party for her birthday....After all isn't that what all children love, Lots of food,Games,Freedom to run around making lots of noise..... But best of all, More prezzies from all of your guests.

Kirri + vote

I never realised…

…that bedside lights could get stiff necks. :-) Although, I suppose, they are of the bendy type, or maybe an Anglepoise it could be a problem.

Another delightful episode, Angie, with brilliant banter between the three of them.

Well worth a handbag full of votes.

Hilary

That's NOT why I've...

fallen asleep - with the light still burning. But, probably only because none of those I love have ever been in such dire straights. In my case, the vast majority of times it's happened, there's still a book clutched in my hands when I wake up again! Even in my sleep, I take care of books. LOL... And, yes, I STILL am known to stay up WAY too late reading! :-)

Interesting lot of things going on here. Hopefully Julie's doing a bit better by the weekend when Si comes home. Somehow, I don't think he'll take kindly to having to sleep in Julie's room. While he's HAD young children in his bed, they've generally arrived in the morning, not been there all night. Julie's a tad old for that, despite her need for reassurance.

Sounds like Maureen's gone from no work to more than is healthy to handle for long.

Thanks,
Ann

Last two points

It seems to me that right now Julie's mental health and wellbeing takes presidence (sic?) over Simon's desire to canoodle with Cathy. It can't continue for the long run, but in the short term Julie needs to feel warm and safe and loved.

And Mauren has worked all her life, to not work likely makes her feel useless. Being in demand again and valued for her skills regardless of her appearance is just what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

Being able to help all the various waifs, orphans, and misfits is tonic for Cathy also. Even if one of those "waifs" is bigger than her!

You are still doing fine, Angharad! And the same to your fine puss, Bonzai! Please keep writing!


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

I guess I must...

off somewhere.

Julie's had a LOT happen to her over a VERY SHORT period of time. Does she have mental issues? That's certainly appears to be what our author is telling us. I guess I'm a bit strange or something. Probably brought up a prude. I dunno. A real person in Julie's position. Yes, she needs help. Is "sleeping" with "mommy" the right answer? No, I don't think so. I really don't. I can see how it's comforting. But, I guess I'm callous.

Personally, I'd have been happier had Julie been in her own bed, and Cathy decided to help her there. The help could have been just sitting beside it (been there, done that) or even crawl on the bed (covers intervening).

Julie's "legal" position with Cathy is still "up in the air" as I understand it. Imagine someone at child services complaining - it goes before the judge. Julie says how much her mom (Cathy) loves her, and provides an example - "the other night, I felt so bad, I went to bed with her." It's what happened. But a "slimy" lawyer could twist that. "Oh, and adult and teen child in bed together?" Innuendo, etc. We know nothing happened, nothing would happen, etc. But, the fact that they were in bed together... *sighs* (I certainly HOPE a situation like this is NOT what the authoring team is cooking up!)

As to Maureen. I wasn't suggesting that her "over work" was a bad thing. For a short while it does feel good! And, it's something she'll have to deal with. I was more just saying it's a change - the old "feast or famine" thing.

I hope you aren't forseeing a future

episode. Way too easy to see the legal profession in the US turning a tender, healing, gesture into something viewed as bad. Cathy usually seems to get the better of the slime in the police, social services, and legal communities. Lets hope that continues.

Actually

Cathy is dealing with the slime and riffraff, leaving the quality people behind. They in turn know Cathy, and back her up when needed. After several years of this Britain will be come the paradise people had always hoped for.

But meanwhile, there are birthdays to consider.