A Summer of Changes - Book 2 Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Denise

Denise has three days in which to prepare for her new life.

A Summer of Changes
by Louise Anne Smithson

Book 2 Chapter 8

Moving house

Having just dropped her bombshell of withdrawing the job offer, Helen tried to explain the reason for her change of mind.

‘I'm sure you'd do a good job, but it isn't fair on you. I suspect that your colleagues may have pushed you into doing something against your will, as they did for Jane’s wedding. I got a little carried away with the idea of beginning work on the catalogue as well. On reflection, we didn't really think about your feelings.’

‘Helen, I haven't been forced into doing anything against my will,’ said Denise, in alarm. ‘The prospect of working as your model is the most exciting thing that has happened to me. I was flattered to be thought to be as attractive as Jane or her sister, and capable of modelling clothes.’

‘But you'd have to spend so much time dressed as a woman?’

‘That's one of the attractions of the job.'

‘Denise this isn't a game; it is my business. If you started working as a model I'd expect you to see it through to the end, and I couldn't​ allow your situation to distract your colleagues from their duties.’

‘I know, and I've already promised that I won't let you down. As to being a distraction, once we get started, I would do my best to act and hope to be treated exactly like my colleagues.’

Helen sighed.

‘Wouldn’t you like some more time to think about it?’

‘I've been thinking about nothing else since you first mentioned the possibility of a job on Monday afternoon. I've already arranged to leave my flat move in with Samantha, so, whether you employ me as a model or not, I shall be coming in to work as Denise for the summer,’ she replied in a determined voice.

‘There has been a change of character, Denis wouldn't have stood his ground in this way,’ thought Helen to herself, before answering her young colleague.

‘Alright, if you're quite sure. Your colleagues may help you to get ready but from Monday onwards you'll be treated as any other female employee. We'll have to keep Denis on the books, but in all other respects you will be treated as Denise.'

‘Thank you, that's what I would like to happen,’ said Denise with relief in her voice.

‘How will you move your belongings on Saturday?’

‘I'll order a taxi for a couple of journeys,’ said Denise.

‘Would you like me to drive you? My car has a lot of luggage capacity with the rear seats folded down,’ said Helen.

‘Thank you, that would be ideal,’ answered Denise. ‘Now, if I may I'd now like to begin getting ready as soon as possible.’

'Go on then,' said Helen, smiling.


‘What was that all about?’ asked Sue.

‘Nothing; just some last-minute arrangements. When can we make a start fixing my breasts and hair extensions?’ answered Denise.

‘Once Jane has got over her morning sickness, she can fix your breast forms properly; she's better at it than me. You'll then be able to show a bit of your cleavage,’ she said laughing.’

‘Thanks, I'll feel more confident when my boobs are fixed properly,’ said Denise blushing.

Sue then turned to address Sarah.

‘Would you be able to attach this young lady’s hair extensions once again? Helen has agreed that it will be alright for you to do so,’ she said.

‘I went to a lot of trouble with them in May and then she took them off after only nine days,’ Sarah replied.

‘This time she has promised to keep them for as long as they last, so we'll get more than our money’s worth from your efforts,’ said Sue.

‘Alright, I’ll make a start on her hair now.'

'Good, Jane can fix her boobs when she comes in and I'll be able to sort out her nail extensions after I’ve seen Samantha,’ said Sue.

‘I'll be cleaning my room this evening, so there might be a danger of damaging my new nails,’ said Denise.

‘Alright I won’t fix your nails until tomorrow, but you'll have to take care with them when you move to Samantha’s flat.’


By midday Denise was again getting used to having a full-head of shoulder-length hair, and just over an hour later it was properly cut, styled and put up in rollers.

‘I'll take them out and brush it for you before you leave work this afternoon, but you should also try and roll it up by yourself again tonight, as I've shown you,’ said Sarah.

‘I’ll do my best,’ answered Denise.

‘I’ll give you some rollers and a hairnet to take home for tonight, but if you're serious about learning how to style your hair you should invest in some tongs and heated rollers.’

'I'll get some this weekend.'


Samantha kept her appointment with Sue and had word with Denise afterwards. Denise could not go out with her hair in rollers, so Samantha agreed to get some coffee and sandwiches at so they could discuss the arrangements for the move over lunch.

‘Jane and Simon will collect her belongings from the flat on Saturday morning. Her room is already pretty clean, but I'll clean it during the afternoon and you're welcome to move in any time thereafter.’

‘I'll ask Sue if I can spend the afternoon at her flat as I'll be leaving my present room at lunchtime.’

‘Simon has offered to help you move your belongings as soon as they've moved out. He can collect you from Sue’s flat.’

‘Thanks, let me know by phone when I'm to expect him,’ said Denise.

‘I could also ask my cousin John to come down for the weekend and help, he's been asking about you.’

‘No thanks, I can carry my own cases up to the room,’ said Denise.

‘Alright, but you'll have to think about dating sometime, you won't be able to stay celibate for ever.’


Jane chatted happily as Denise lay on a couch to allow her to fix the Velcro strips onto her chest before gluing on each of the breast forms.

‘So you want these attached securely?’ she asked.

‘Yes please, they're not as comfortable when they're just inserted into a bra and I'm always worried that they might shift if I moved suddenly.’

‘Who helped you with them whilst I was away?’ she asked.

‘Sue, but I'm afraid one of them came unstuck after the first couple of days.’

‘Don’t worry, this time they should be good for a month or more.’

‘They were a little painful to remove after the first time you stuck them on for me,’ said Denise.

‘That’s how it's supposed to be,’ she replied.

‘Supposing my mother or my sister should suddenly decide to visit me? What will I do then?’

‘Leave town?’ suggested Jane.

‘Great!’ said Denise, with a note of sarcasm.

‘If there is any likelihood of them coming then perhaps the time has come to let them know how you are intending to live your life.’

‘I don’t think it's likely, but I’ll have to think how to break the news to them just in case.’

‘Don’t leave it for too long; it'll be better if they find out from you rather than in some other way,’ she said.


‘How do they feel?’ asked Jane when she had finished.

‘Fine, they feel as if they're a part of me.’

‘They certainly look like the real thing, but it's your responsibility to hide the joins with foundation.’

Sarah came back at about four to take out the rollers from her hair and brush it into its new style. When she was finished Sue and Jane came in to admire her handiwork.

‘You look lovely once again but be sure to wear rubber gloves when cleaning your flat tonight, it's time you began taking care of your hands,’ said Sue.


That evening Denise packed Denis’ clothing into a couple of cardboard boxes, except for an old pair of his jeans and a tee shirt which she put on over her female underclothing. These were more practical than a dress for cleaning the flat. She'd also bought herself a head scarf and a pair of rubber gloves on the way home. She proceeded to clean her flat thoroughly as she didn't want to give any reason for Mrs Clarke to withhold the deposit. She now felt slightly self-conscious and uncomfortable wearing clothes that had been designed for a man, and which she'd first worn as Denis. She resolved to buy herself a pair of ladies jeans and a top for the move on Saturday. Once she'd finished cleaning she changed into a housecoat, and dumped Denis’ jeans and tee shirt in the bin. From this point onwards there would be no further trace of Denis for the entire summer.


Having to deal with her long hair meant that it took Denise an extra twenty minutes to get herself ready on Friday morning. However, she was becoming increasingly competent at putting on makeup and deciding which clothes to wear. On this occasion she chose a dress with a low cut neck so as to show off her new breasts. As she left her room she passed two of the other occupants of the house in earnest conversation with Mrs Clarke. She smiled and wished them all a good morning. They acknowledged her greeting whilst seeming to scrutinize her so she assumed that everyone in the house now knew all about Denise.


Sarah asked to inspect Denise’s hair, and after a few minor adjustments pronounced herself satisfied with her protégé’s efforts.

‘You'll need to wash and condition your hair at least once a week and brush it several times each day. Above all, you need to check that it is looking alright whenever you have the opportunity. Do you have a hand mirror?’

‘Yes, I've been told to check my makeup regularly as well,’ answered Denise.

‘Good, you are getting the idea of what is involved in living as a woman. I shall be checking up on you from time to time to make sure that you don't let your standards slip.’

‘Alright, I promise to do my best but I'm saying goodbye to my friend this evening and have promised to dress in my bridesmaid’s outfit for her. Would you be willing to pin up my hair for me this afternoon, in the style that I had it at Jane’s wedding?’ asked Denise.

‘Alright, bring me a picture of how it looked and come and see me at about four o’clock. However, in future you must learn to do it by yourself,’ she answered.


During the morning Sue provided Denise with some padding to enhance her hips and bottom, but this could only be worn successfully under a pair of control briefs. These had the additional advantage of holding in her stomach and keeping her penis and testicles tucked away between her legs so they would not be visible even if she were wearing tight clothes. It was uncomfortable at first but she gradually got used to the arrangement. Sue also fixed some new acrylic extensions to her finger nails.

‘These are rather long and will hinder my typing or working around the home,’ said Denise.

‘Don’t worry; you'll soon get used to having longer nails and they'll make you more conscious about how you use your hands,’ she said.

Sue, had previously shown her how to paint her nails, and so by lunchtime she once again possessed shapely manicured hands.

During her lunch break she went out to buy herself a pair of ladies' jeans and a pink tee shirt with a kitten motive. She no longer had any concern about been recognised, and tried on a couple of pairs before making her choice. On the way back she passed a jewellery shop, and on the spur of the moment she had her ear lopes pierced for a second time and gold studs inserted. She also noticed a pair of stylish sunglasses in the window of a shop and went ahead and bought them for herself.


As promised, Sarah put up her hair for her, and by the end of Friday afternoon Denise was again looking and feeling as good as she had done three weeks before. Shortly before leaving work she called in to Helen’s office to let her know about the preparations.

‘I must say Denise that you look lovely again today,’ said Helen. ‘I gather from Sue that all is now set for you to begin work first thing on Monday.’

‘Thank you!’ answered Denise smiling, ‘but a lot is due to the efforts of your staff.’

‘Alright but from now on there can be no more of your colleagues’ work time lost in helping you to change backwards and forwards between Denis and Denise.’

‘I realise that, and I'm committed to spending the next three months as a girl.’

‘I'll treat you exactly as if you were any other employee, and will expect everyone else to do the same.

‘Alright, that's fine by me.’

‘So what about your arrangements for moving house?’


Denise returned to her room without any of her neighbours seeing her, having picked up a bunch of flowers to use as a bouquet on the way home from work. She changed out of her work clothes and carefully packed them away in a suitcase ready for the move. She then removed her makeup and took a shower, taking great care to protect her hair. After drying herself she put on the underclothes given to her for the wedding, and sat down at a dressing table for an hour putting on her makeup and jewellery and checking that her hair was still alright. Inserting the pearl earrings and fixing the pendant was a little more difficult with longer finger nails, but gradually she got used to them. By seven-thirty she was once again dressed in her bridesmaid’s outfit, and holding her bouquet of flowers. After a last minute check in the mirror she made her way to Angela’s flat.

‘Good Grief! You look wonderful,’ said Angela as she opened the door, ‘far more impressive than the photographs.'

‘Thank you,’ said Denise blushing. 'Is my bow straight?'

Angela laughed.

‘Yes, it's fine. Will you be my bridesmaid when I get married?’

‘That rather depends on when and where the ceremony takes place, I don’t think that I would be able to get a passport as Denise.’

The two chatted for half an hour and Angela took a series of photographs of them both using the timer on her digital camera. Then it was time for Denise to go. They hugged one another but Angela refrained from kissing her on the cheek so as not to spoil her makeup.

‘Thanks again for all the clothes and for your encouragement. I hope all goes well for you in Singapore.’

‘You are most welcome to the clothes, and I hope you enjoy your summer living and working as a girl. Please keep in touch by email and let me know how you get on.’

‘I have my own email account as Denise,’ she said writing down the address for her friend.

‘Good! I won’t now have to explain why I am emailing someone called Denis,’ she said smiling.


Helen arrived at the agreed time on Saturday. Denise was dressed in her new jeans and pink tee shirt, with a minimum of makeup and two pairs of ear studs. Nevertheless, with her long hair, breasts, and painted finger nails she still looked very feminine. She helped Helen to load two boxes of clothes and a third containing Denis’ other belongings into the back of the car. Helen then drove off with all the evidence of the young man's existence apart from his bank switch card. Denise returned to packing her own things. Helen returned at 11.45, and, after a coffee together, they loaded a further two suitcases and a cardboard box. Denise checked that everything was in order and went to find Mrs Clarke. After a brief inspection, she pronounced herself satisfied with the state of the room and handed over a cheque for the return of the deposit.

‘Good luck with your new job and your new accommodation,’ she said. Denise smiled and thanked her. Just before 1.00 pm Helen and Denise drove off leaving her flat and her old life behind.


Denise spent the afternoon with Sue and Alison until she received a phone call at about 5.00pm warning that Jane and her husband were on their way with a van to collect her.

‘Can we come with you to see your new flat and help you to move in?’ asked Alison.

‘Alright, but be careful to make no reference to Denis or to my biological sex, Jane’s husband only knows me as Denise. In fact it would be preferable if you would forget that Denis ever existed.’

‘That’s fine by me,’ said Alison, ‘I've only ever known you as Denise.

‘Me too,’ said Sue, ‘I’ve quite forgotten what Denis was like.


Simon and Jane didn't stop after unloading the van since Denise had plenty of helpers to carry the boxes upstairs.

‘What do you think of the room?’ she asked of Sue and Alison.

‘It is a nice room but the furnishings are rather girlie”,’ commented the latter.

‘They were chosen by my sister who's a great fan of frills and flounces,’ answered Samantha, ‘but the room is comfortably furnished and will suit Denise as she settles into her new role.’

‘I'll have to live with them for the time being as my own bedclothes were for a single bed,’ said Denise ‘but I'll now have access to a kitchen and living room, and will be sharing with a good friend.’

The group began the process of unpacking the boxes and putting away her clothes.

‘Denise you seem to have acquired quite an extensive wardrobe,’ commented Alison.

‘Most of them are second hand. Once I've gained a little more experience about what suits me, I want to go out shopping for myself’ answered Denise.

‘I'd be happy to go with you and offer advice sometime, if you want,’ said Alison.

Denise thanked her, thinking that it would be nice to have one female friend who was not connected with her work.


By 8.00pm the move was complete and she was fully installed in her new flat. Denise offered to pay for a Chinese meal for everyone to thank them for their efforts and sent Sue and Alison off with some money to choose the dishes. Samantha was likewise dispatched to buy some wine. In the meanwhile she changed into a dress and put on some makeup. Half an hour later she was sitting with her friends.

‘I think we should drink to the success of your new modelling career,’ said Alison addressing both Denise and Samantha.

‘Alright, but let us also include the photographer as well,’ said Denise.

Samantha then poured another drink for everyone.

‘I think we should drink to Denise’s new life as a full-time woman - long may it continue.’

Sue and Alison repeated the toast and sipped their wine. Denise blushed but after a second or two repeated, ‘long may it continue’.

End of Book 2

(Next time Denise settles in to her new life and meets an old friend.)

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

DENISE

ALISON

Our shy young man has finally found herself! Denis is dead---
long live Denise.

ALISON

Samantha

Her comments about dating kind of bother me. I had hopes that maybe Denise and Sue from her office would get together, and they still could. Sue has seemed to show interest in Denise, but maybe not. Failing that, I thought maybe Denise and Samantha would get together, but that seems kind of ruled out, since she keeps trying to set Denise up with John. When Alison was introduced, I thought, perfect, but she has a boyfriend, and while interested it does not seem romantically. Guess we'll see more in Book 3.

A Summer of Changes - Book 2 Chapter 8

Since Denise is here to stay, hopefully she will find a nice guy who will understand about her uniqur situation and avoid any trouble.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Does being a girl preclude having a girl friend?

Andrea Lena's picture

Maybe if Denise is here to stay, she might find a nice girl who will understand about her unique situation, or is that the sole purview of a guy?

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Con grande amore e di affetto, Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I hope not!

My first partner was a lovely young woman I originally met in high school. After she was killed, I went through a succession of women, young and old, but it would appear that lightning doesn't often strike twice, at least for transgendered lesbians. Most writers of "T" fiction prefer to have their heroines immediately leap into the arms of the first available man, so perhaps in these stories being a girl does preclude having a girlfriend. But in real life, I can hope, can't I? :-)

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I agree with.....

KevSkegRed's picture

..... you Stanman, fantastic story and Denise certainly needs a man, hmmm, maybe John as he already knows all about her.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

I suppose in the context of any story you might say a character

"needs" a man. What I've noticed even in my brief time here is, regardless of plot and character development, Stan seems to prefer to see each trans-gender or transsexual character as needing a relationship to be fulfilled, regardless of age or circumstance. And it seems that he often sees the same characters as needing a man in particular to have a meaningful relationship. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just sort of misses fifty per cent of the worlds population. It seems that Andrea was encouraging Stan to look at the situation from a different perspective. Hey, I could be wrong. Belle

It hasn't been established

It hasn't been established as far as I can tell, but perhaps Samantha is Bi, and likes Denise as a girl, and yet like masculine males also? Denise's journey into womanhood seems to be destined for some really interesting times. I wonder if her Mother and Sister will discover her 'secret' by seeing her on the cover of one of the magazines and recognizing her face even tho she looks female. Jan

A Summer of Change

It seems that Denis wants to be Denise. Her conduct at the wedding with her kisses
to her escort illuminate a side of Denise that is being missed. She loves the
company of women but she is more willing to be embraced by a man than she is
prepared to embrace a women as Denis. Perhaps Denise is intersexed. To look so
good as a women without the benefit of plastic surgery means there maybe something
at work with her biology. Denise looks to good as a natural women, and from her
previous "close up" conduct with a man it is apparent what she wants. Samantha
being an intelligent girl sees through Denise's behavior and realizes the girl
needs a little help. Denise needs "I had no choice" to respectfully make a
transition that would be hard to do in front of family and coworkers. Samantha
is providing a situation where it appears Denise had no choice in the matter
but dress as a women. A boyfriend will become necessary to continue in
her new apartment. But it is probably what Denise wants.

Thank You for a great chapter and story.

Kaptin Nibbles

At This Point, At Least...

...Denise doesn't work for a modeling agency or anything. Assuming I read it right, he's simply one of two women modeling fashions for a website and print catalog where she works. The mother and sister certainly might see it (especially if some "helpful" co-worker sends the catalog to them; one of the two may have been listed on Denis's original work application as his emergency contact, for lack of a local alternative), but they're not likely to see any of Denise's photos at a newsstand.

I don't think Samantha has or will develop a romantic interest in Denise, but of course the opportunity is there, assuming they do live together for three months, and I suppose that fear of disillusionment in a possible relationship could be one explanation for Samantha's obstinacy when it comes to seeing Denis or his clothes. (Still, whether Samantha is bi or not, Denise's male parts would probably be a major turnoff for her, given her attitude so far, unless Denise is willing to undergo SRS.)

Eric

Au revoir, Denis!

So Denise is going to be hanging around for at least three months. That's a much longer term commitment than the nine days she previously existed. As many have predicted, it's entirely possible that Denis won't reappear at the end. So somewhere in the region of book four or five she'll be visiting a psychiatrist. After all, by then she'll effectively have gone through three months of RLT...

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Considering How...

Denis has been pushed more and more into being Denise, I have to wonder how long it will be before someone in the office suggests that he start on blockers and/or hormones. That would seem to be the logical next step to ensure that Denise stays and Denis cannot return.