School play

Printer-friendly version
School play
by Lauran

Some say truth is stranger than fiction. I that case, this could be true.

The benefits of a public school education are not to be undervalued, nor posh rich parents.

First I should explain something odd about British schools, there are public schools and state schools. The public are only open to the public with money so not truly public, and these are ranked in proper public schools such as Eton, down to the lower minor public schools which have aspirations of grandeur but not quite the gravitas, but they still turn out well educated young people whose parents think a comprehensive education paid for by the state is not suitable for their offspring.

Lesson over. I am seventeen and doing my A levels hoping for good grades so I can get into Oxford or Cambridge. I have always been good at the more art based subjects, I am good at languages, drama and visual art, english as you can possibly tell unfortunately is not my strongest talent, but then you should see my science results.

In my first year as a sixth former, I put myself forward to be in the school play as I have done since I was thirteen, I usually got small or non speaking parts, this year was different. I need to explain a few other things to help you understand why what happened did occur.

The school is a mix of boarders and day boys, I was a day boy as were about a quarter of the pupils, this meant I got to see a lot more of my parents than most of the boys, though saying 'morning father' hardly means seeing my father in truth as it was our only regular conversation before he went to work and stayed out till late most days. The other unusual thing about our school was that we had no girls. Now I know you can see where this is going, no girls for the school play. Well in previous years the plays had been male only productions or some girls from a nearby school had stepped in, but only as minor parts. Once I remembered a leading female part being played by one of the older boys along with one other who had a minor part. So there was a precedent for what happened to me.

In all the previous years we never got asked which part we wanted to play, we offered and were assigned a part, end of discussion. This year however I was asked if I would like to take a role, and before answering was told to go home and read the part, maybe discuss it with my parents. I soon found out why this novel approach was being taken, I was being asked to play the leading lady in a comedy. I had not seen the play before and skimmed through it that evening, then over dinner asked my mother what she thought of the play and more crucially the part I had been asked to play. Father as usual was at his club or meeting clients that evening, so the two of us chatted about the play, the idea of me playing a lead, and of that role being a female lead. By the end of our meal, she had said she would ask my father's opinion, but as for her attitude, she felt it would be an interesting challenge and something I should seriously consider before rejecting the notion as daft.

I think my mother used to be something of a hippie liberal in her student days, but somewhere in the past that got lost with the money and security of my father's family business, or maybe I was the reason for the marriage I did not ask to many questions just in case I did not like the answers.

In the morning I asked father if he had spoken to mother, he gave me a vague answer, so I asked if he had any objections to me being in the play this year, he said not and that it was an excellent idea. Though right then I did wonder if he had all the facts about the play. But I had his consent so I went to see the head of drama to tell him that I would take on the part of Kim. He seemed unexpectedly thrilled, hugged me and told me I will make a divine Kim. I do like Mr Watts but he is a bit of a lovey.

We had two months of rehearsals, starting with the basic reading, followed with stage planning and polishing the performance. But before we got very far I was being asked if I could speak just a little bit higher, then when we got onto the stage, I heard more than once 'Russell, please more grace, Kim is a lady not a docker'. I did not have much idea what was meant as I had never played a lady or a docker for that matter. So after one rehearsal Mr Watts suggested I watch women at every opportunity and try to copy their moves, he also sent a letter home asking mother if she would mind helping me learn some basic lady like mannerisms and movements. The other thing that I suspected might be a problem was a scene later in the play where I and the leading man have to kiss. Now I had known Paul for many years, he was a boarder and a very good student, not a close friend, more we knew each other because we did the play every year. This year we had to spend a lot more time together. Mother initially after we had a couple of read through invited him to our house so we could rehearse together, 'get to know each others lines better' was the idea.

Well we got on better than I expected Paul has a natural wit and could make me laugh at the slightest thing, which made our stage relationship much easier to cope with, me being his opposite as it were.

The letter sent to mother by Mr Watts had a quite dramatic effect on my spare time as mother took it upon herself to educate me all about how to look like a lady. She might have been a liberal hippie and still at heart trying to save the planet, but she was not a scruffy hippy, she had a great sense of style and enjoyed looking good, not showing off, just understated beauty I suppose. Well it started with deportment lessons, walking with my back straight and my chin up, she even had me walk with a book on my head. So I got the idea of being upright and poised. We moved onto how I should sit, walk the stairs, where and how I used my hands. I thought I was picking it all up quite well, but not well enough. Mother came into school and had a meeting with Mr Watts, she wanted to know how I was performing, he said I was getting better but there was still room for improvement. Then she went onto find out what costume I would be wearing. This meeting had a severe consequence back home. First I was being picked up on my movements all the time, so much so that it felt like I had to walk, sit etc like a woman all the time I was at home, she even included eating into the skills I had to master. Possibly far worse came a week later, I was to be dressed like a professional woman in one scene, which according to mother meant heels. Fortunately she bought the shoes without me going with her to make sure they were the correct size, but from that evening on I would come home and instead of taking my black school shoes off and replacing them with slippers, I took my socks off as well and spent the evening in my heels. I understood the logic as soon as I tried to walk, if I had not practiced before a full dress rehearsal I would have been so distracted by my clumsiness, I would have been awful and possibly ruined the rehearsal. It took me about a week to be confident with my heels and not get a ticking off for an unladylike walk. Then I realised how little I knew about women's clothing, those had been a low tiger heel barely an inch, mother introduced me to what she called proper elegant heels, thin and high was my description. This was a harder challenge, but I soon had it mastered and could walk about the house with ease, and without criticism.

With about three weeks to go, I thought I had cracked it. I knew the script pretty well, I could do the moves and the flow of the play seemed to be coming. Then we did a full run through, including the kiss scene. That was terrible, Paul usually cool about everything tensed up and clearly did not want to do the scene, I likewise was having trouble with the concept of kissing another boy. Besides that the cast were praised for their efforts and when mother came to collect me that evening as it was late, Mr Watts asked for a quick word. The upshot was that Paul came home after school the following night. Mother took this opportunity to find out why we were so awkward with doing a kiss. Paul was more vocal, he insisted he felt uncomfortable kissing a boy, he had kissed girls, in fact if the stories were true he was something of a ladies man. Mother’s solution was that on the night I will look like a woman, so that should be alright. To get me over my fear of kissing men, I had to think of myself not as Russell but as Kim, make myself believe I am the character and so be the woman, at least while in the role. I knew this to be a classic way of acting, but to think of myself as a woman. That I was not sure about.

The next evening I was in for one of my biggest ever shocks. Mother been out and bought me a complete outfit, long sundress, underwear, the lot or so I thought. That evening I ate my dinner looking like a daughter. I was wearing the sundress, bra and knickers, my high heels, besides all that I had a blonde wig on my head and several items of make up I hardly understood on my face. She told me I was really pretty, and was shocked when I took a look in the full length mirror. She then leant me some of her jewelry, big bangles, long bead necklace, clip on ear rings (which really hurt) and a couple of dress rings. It was dressed like this I realised how different the world was, I had to think about the hem flowing around my calves, tuck it under me when I sat, and watch out for the beads dangling into things if I leant forward, keeping the long hair off my face. Then as the evening chill came she gave me a big scarf she called a wrap to pull across my shoulders, which proved to be just another thing I had to be aware of and check was neat at all times. She did however mix us both a martini and serve it in a cocktail glass. Very elegant.

The martini plus the wine we had shared over dinner meant that my resistance to her next part of my education was virtually non existent. After helping me to clean off my makeup and moisturise, she introduced me to satin nightgowns, long and luxurious are the best words I can use to best describe that first time I wore pink satin to bed. As we sat drinking our nightcap she asked me how I felt. I told her how I had been surprised that I looked so pretty, and that the clothes added to my weeks of deportment training did in fact make me feel at that moment quite feminine. She said that we should have another daughter evening soon, and to my own surprise was amazed to hear me saying in a very girly way 'that would be lovely mummy' as I went over to give her a good night kiss and say thank you. The kiss I had done when I was younger, all the other stuff was totally new.

I woke in the morning wearing the nightgown and feeling my head pounding. But mother was there to make sure I was fine, some paracetomel and a light breakfast before school, my regular words with father before he left to make the morning seem normal. Then time to rerun the evening’s events and how I had felt. To say my mind was not on my studies would be underselling the truth. I daydreamed all day until I finally got home.

For the first time in weeks I did not change into the heels, but went through to the kitchen to get a drink where I found mother. 'Are you OK?' she enquired, I told her I was fine, but she said I looked preoccupied and she was concerned about how I had felt about the previous evening. She made me sit down and talk through my worries, mainly that I had enjoyed being a girl too much, that the clothes felt so nice, that I might actually be too good at pretending to be a woman in the play, being a completely plausible Kim. She talked me through my worries, which mostly boiled down to, she enjoyed being a woman so from what she knew there was nothing wrong in that, she enjoyed the clothes, the attention to looking her best. And if I was a convincing Kim then she would consider all my training worth while. She then told me father was not coming home till very late that evening so if I wanted we could have another mother, daughter night. I hesitated but when she said she would help me with my make up my defenses crumbled and we went up to her dressing room and dressed me before dinner.

That evening followed the pattern of the night before, this time however I was less conscious of my clothes and was making the small adjustments to my appearance without thinking about them, such as touching my hair and smoothing the dress as I sat down. When mother mentioned this I was strangely proud of myself for acting so naturally. That was a Friday night and I could enjoy the alcohol without worrying about the morning, and for the first time in my life I drank enough to make me tipsy and giggly. So girly mother later told me. I also managed to get her to admit that she had been keen on this project because she only had me and fancied having, if only for a short time, a daughter. Hence the support, the training, the clothes and from my point the slow introduction and gradual reinforcing of feminine things, like the low shoes getting higher and the deportment getting tougher as the days passed.

I spent the weekend being Russell, at times thinking about this new side to my personality that I had found, and wondering what it meant. On the Wednesday we had a full dress rehearsal, so on the Monday mother invited Paul over for dinner. She had me changed as soon as I got home, Paul was to come later, so I kind of guessed what she was planning. Paul arrived on time, then after mother welcomed him in, he was introduced to the fully dressed Kim. He fortunately said the right things, such as, 'you look great' 'if I did not know'. I tried very hard to stay in character, and was mostly successful. But the challenge came after we had cleared the dinner plates, mother asked us to run through the kiss scene. I was concentrating very hard on my lines and the woman I was pretending to be, finding it surprisingly easy to touch and hold Paul's hand, I could sense Paul was having a small challenge of his own, but we managed to do the scene to mother's satisfaction, though she did suggest that our kiss looked more like fish bumping into one another. When she went out of the room I made it clear I had little experience of kissing, so he took my hand and picked up my drink and lead me outside where the air was still warm. Then he asked me to relax and shut my eyes, then with his hands on my waist he lightly touched his lips with mine, then another touch, then another, the touches getting stronger and longer each time until his lips remained on mine moving them about until I responded. We parted for air after a minute or so but he could tell I loved the sensation when I put a hand on his shoulder and pulled him towards me and kissed him. It was just a youngster’s first kiss and a clumsy learning one at that, but none the less it was a proper kiss. Our education was interrupted by a cough, and mother telling us we seemed to have mastered that part quite well, and it was time to run Paul back to his dorm. I went in the car with them not thinking of the consequences if my dressing was made public. We even followed gender stereotypes, Paul sat in the front as he was the man, I sat in the back like a good girl. What was more surprising was that when I got in the front for the drive home mother said I made it look as though I had gone to the back without thinking, I was pleased that was how it had looked, however I had realised the situation and knew that as Kim I should sit in the back. We then got onto the outdoor kissing, I tried to explain that I was hopeless and he was only teaching me. An excellent tutor he made if the scene she had witnessed was anything to go by, me hanging off his neck, Paul pulling my waist into him and lips locked in meaningful contact. I do not know why but as she described this I was looking at my feet and fiddling with the edge of my wrap. 'And that' she said 'is just perfect'

On the Tuesday we had a rehearsal that was all about making sure everything was ready for the full dress rehearsal. The lighting was checked, the props where inspected and for me my costumes were tried on. Mother had come along to help with this, there was me and two boarders who were to be playing female roles, so mother and Ms Jones took us off for a try out, our sizes had been taken, but they wanted to make sure everything fitted and we could change with ease between scenes. I had a smart business suit for a main scene, a short black dress for the 'kiss' scene and what mother called culottes, enormous long trousers really, with a big blouse. James and Philip also had what the women called cocktail dresses for my 'kiss' scene, but they were playing supposedly different characters through the play, so had various dresses and wigs to change into, James had to dress as an old woman, presumably Kim's mother, which was short grey hair and a shapeless dress. I don't think it was my mother's idea of a style she wished to copy.

The following evening we had the full rehearsal. I was rather nervous as it was to be my first time outside my home really while dressed as Kim, but I was not alone, James and Philip were just as anxious. Ms Jones had altered things so they fitted better, and soon we were remembering lines and the play was unfolding. Mr Watts was directing and making us do the occasional line again, while his assistant was taking notes. So afterwards we had a time where he went through the notes, offering advice then rather than disturbing the flow of the scenes. He made a few comments about my position on stage, but James and Philip were asked if they could try to be more feminine and convincingly female. Later mother approached Mr Watts and offered to help with the boys before the play was to start for real. He agreed and for the weekend my house became a school for making boys into girls. Father was told he might prefer to go for a golf weekend which he snapped at and was gone from Friday morning, making it easy for me to bring James and Philip home from school after classes on Friday afternoon.

Mother had collected our costumes during the day and Ms Jones had offered to come round to help as well. The evening started with mother giving us a peep talk and brief run down on what she hoped to achieve over the following two days. Clearly James would not learn how to walk like a young girl and an older woman, but if we managed feminine our instructors said they would be happy. I had an inkling of what was to follow, the boys started with bare foot walking, following a line, book on head, no looking down, then a few hand gestures before dinner was served. As the five of us sat down mother made a little speech about how she considered this to be a girls only weekend, she expected all our behaviour, speech and gestures to reflect that, starting with eating. We then had a quick lesson on how a proper lady would eat, and we all dutifully copied her.

I thought I would get an easy ride, having done all of this in the weeks before, but none of what I did seemed good enough. Maybe this was to make the boys feel better or maybe I had let my standards slip once I thought I had mastered the part. We spent the Saturday wearing our outfits with full make up and wigs, so we got used to seeing each other and not being an odd gender mix of boy and girl. We did more elegance training but this time with our stage shoes on. Then as we mastered one aspect something extra would be added such as carrying a clutch bag or wearing a wrap. Then doing jobs around the house like making our beds, or helping with some chores, until finally she gave us boys, (or should I say girls) an apron each and had us prepare our dinner for the evening. Ms Jones disappeared to arrive later in a very nice what might be called proper going out frock. She then took the three of us upstairs to help us change into our cocktail dresses, gave us tips on touching up our make up. Before coming down to find mother changed as well and offering us flutes of champagne. Mother asked and I easily complied with a request to help serve the meal, Jane and Philippa clearing away later, before we settled down cocktail glasses holding various concoctions, Jane and Philippa's being non alcoholic as they were younger.

The boys both had made big improvements in their efforts to be more girl like, and enjoyed the praise the woman gave them. Somehow the topic of why we had been chosen for these particular parts came up, Ms Jones thought it obvious, Jane and Philippa's voice had not broken, mine had but was not very deep, coupled with our body shape, for boys we were slight and in my case short. I suddenly realised that even when I had kissed Paul and wearing my heels I had had to reach up make the contact, and then remembered a film where I had seen an actress reaching up and as she kissed stood on her toes and lifted one foot clean off the floor. I decided to try that myself come the final rehearsal.

I knew I could sleep in my lovely nightgown if I wanted, but as the boys prepared for bed they too were offered similar nightwear so they could stay in role making the morning easier. They had been enjoying the day so it was no surprise to find out both of them had slept in satin that night.

Sunday followed a familiar pattern of doing everything trying to think 'how would a girl do this', only now some extra things were added once we had done our deportment session, wearing just our wigs, a robe over our nightgowns and our highest heels. When mother was happy that we had retained our skill of walking in heels elegantly she ushered us all into our respective bedrooms with tube of cream, telling us to follow the instructions and use the en suite showers, then we were to dry ourselves and use a second tube of moisturiser to massage into our skin. I am not sure what we expected but when we came out wearing just a robe, knickers and no body hair, it was definite we were all a little shocked, but were reassured that you never see a woman with hairy skin so that was the reason for our special showers. We all had satin robes that went with our nightgowns and it was clear from the way we were touching ourselves that I was not alone in finding the sensation of smooth fabric on bare skin fantastic. We were all told to go and choose something to wear for the day and to make a start on our faces, one of them would come and make sure we were doing ok in a minute.

Half an hour later we were all ready, I caused quite a stir as I choose my sun dress that was not among the play outfits and clearly something extra of my own, I picked it for it's soft cotton material and I was not alone in choosing for sensory delight, Jane was dressed in a silky dress and Philippa in a soft blouse and skirt, both wearing tights possibly because we had worn them on the Saturday but quite possibly because they felt nice on their legs. We were all spritzed with perfume given some jewelery, nothing small and discrete off course, long strands of beads around our necks, big bracelets, and noticeable rings. Then five minutes of practice at standing still, which was harder than it sounds if you want to look elegant. Before we found our aprons and prepared a lunch to take outside and eat on the lawn.

Mother and Ms Jones gave instructions and laid out the rug and crockery, but then made sure we did everything as femininely as possible, making us walk in and out with the dishes and plates of food so we had plenty of walking to do, then we learnt that girls can't sit cross legged when wearing a dress or skirt, 'Don't want to show the men your knickers' was the simple explanation. So we all sat on the rug with our legs tucked under us while we ate our picnic and drank some cool refreshing sparkling wine. It barely took two small glasses for us to get the giggles, and then when Jane lost her balance reaching over to pass me some strawberries, ending up sprawled on the grass, mother gave us a stern telling off, saying we were behaving like silly little schoolgirls. We all sat up straight and snickered into our glasses as we tried very hard not to giggle some more. It was not long after that, that we finished and cleared everything away.

Mother's next session was to put a CD one of Sex in the City the other High Street Musical. We were not to take that much note of the story, what we were to do was watch the women and take note of what they were doing. She started us discussing gestures when a woman gave a look that only women do, a smouldering come here look. She would rewind and play it again, then suggested I try it as it might fit in well in a scene. It took a few attempts before I was told I had it. Pretty soon we were all commenting and pausing the CD and trying out moves and gestures we had seen. By the end I swear we had forgotten we were 3 lads, we looked and behaved like 3 girls, posing and having fun in front of each other.

We had dinner earlier, about six. We continued to watch the CDs while mother and Ms Jones went to start the meal, then we were told to go and dress for dinner, meaning cocktail dresses. And like good girls we all went off to get changed only this time we did it together, Jane and Philippa bringing their dresses into my room, where we changed and helped each other with our make up. We made an incredible picture once we were nearly ready, Jane was changed and finished sitting on my bed hugging my old teddy bear, Philippa was sat on the edge of the bed pulling her tights up and I was at my dressing table applying lip gloss. Jane suddenly came out with 'this has been fun, hasn't it.' we all turned to look at her. 'well it has' she said defensively.

'Yes it has' I agreed

Philippa stood to retrieve her shoes from across the room 'I suppose so, I really wanted a part in the play so was prepared to accept anything and was getting terribly worked up about the whole acting a girls part, but now I think it will be fun'

'That sundress of yours, not just this weekend like us then?'

I went on to explain how I had been practicing for a few weeks and had indeed worn a dress earlier that week, Jane in particular let out a small wow, this had impacted on her more than Philippa I thought, then in a quite girly way that we had seen on a film we all climbed onto the bed and hugged each other. It had to be at that moment that mother walked past the door, 'Lovely to see you all getting along so well, I just came to tell you dinner will be five minutes'. She walked out and we fell in heap on the bed giggling.

Going to school on the Monday morning was difficult, we had been thoroughly checked over for make up remains, we only physically had our bare skin to show for our weekend changes, but I for one felt different. I no longer felt one of the lads, I had to tell myself to slouch in the chair and put my hands deep in my pockets in an attempt to counter the feminine gestures and poise that I was recognizing in my actions.

It was wearing off by Tuesday, but at rehearsals that evening they all came back, as well as the three giggly schoolgirls, Kim, Jane and Philippa, who fortunately had a changing room to themselves. Stage make up is much uglier than real normal make up which looked great when done well, but we had to be seen under the lights, so we had no choice. This was our last proper full rehearsal and it went well, the members of staff involved complimenting the three of us on finding our inner woman, and praising mother and Ms Jones on doing such a good job. They said it was easy, we were eager students, something we were not sure how to take.

After we had finished and mother was driving me home, I mentioned that James and Philip were boarders, she said she knew that, so I expressed the idea that during the three performances they might like to stop with us so they do not get teased in their dorm if they happen to forget something, 'like what?' she asked. 'Like not getting all the make up off, walking like you have taught us, flicking a wrist, anything that could be construed as girly' She agreed and said she would have a word with Mr Watts before Thursday.

Thursday was the first night and all the cast were given the afternoon of classes. I went home with James and Philip so we could find some where to relax before we had to make our public debut as women. Mother had other ideas and suggested we each go into our en suites and go through the hair removing routine once more. She did this to get us into a girl frame of mind I realised later, but for then I just enjoyed the creams I massaged into my skin and worked my way back into the role of Kim. It was a shame we had to go to school dressed as boys it took some of the edge of the time spent showering. But soon we were in our own little changing room and preparing ourselves for our first scenes.

The play went very well, we fluffed a few lines and one person missed his cue altogether, but I was enjoying myself and remembered to do my tip toe one legged kiss with Paul, it just felt so girly, I also thought I was fantastic at the part.

After the close, mother drove us back home still in our cocktail dresses we had come off stage wearing. All three of us full of our new experiences and making comments about who was good, who got things wrong. Once home after a small supper, we went into my bedroom to get ready for bed. It was Jane who asked if my kiss was as good as it looked, I told her we were only acting, but both of them said 'Oh yer' in a disbelieving tone. Pretty soon we were in our nightgowns and in separate beds, reliving of what had happened during that day.

Friday and no school for the cast. It was funny to see how easily we reverted, this was clear when we all turned up for breakfast after father had left in our nightgowns and matching robes. Mother referred to us as girls all morning while we did some school work and played in a very girly way when taking a break, just gossiping and complimenting each other really. Lunch was very civilized as we naturally seemed to just behave as we had at the weekend. Then after some time watching TV it was time to go and get ready for our second performance.

If the first night was full of nerves, the second was smoother as we all relaxed a little and got nearly everything right. Paul did unsettle me though. Just before the kissing scene we were in the wings when he said 'Are you ready for your kiss tonight,' 'sorry about last night, was not quite prepared for a real snog.' I turned to him and with a flirty look continued 'only acting dear' he smiled back and for the first time in my life I thought 'this man is attractive', then thought 'wow, where did that come from?'.

We had a standing ovation, eventually leaving the stage buzzing with excitement. Once again mother drove us home still in the costumes, but with the stage make up cleaned off. Father was home but enjoying a documentary on the TV when we got home, so we had our supper in the kitchen then adjourned to my bedroom where we behaved like three teenage girls who had drunk way too much coke. We were giggling and gossiping about the boys we knew, and even got to talking about the reactions we were getting of the boys in the cast, and when Paul was mentioned I think it was Philippa who stated that he fancied me, I might claim to be acting the 'kiss' but he was not. I quickly moved the conversation onto a boy called Gerard who was very friendly and protective of us when we were in the wings, his job being to move props and get the actors on stage on time, so we saw quite a bit of him. Eventually mother put her head round the door and suggested it was time we settled down and went to bed. Obediently we did as she suggested.

Saturday morning and I was wondering how the day might pan out, but early on I heard my father get up and leave the house, presumably to play golf with his mates. So when mother called 'breakfast is ready girls' we all knew exactly how to appear in the kitchen for our cereal and juice meal. Long ago we had been told by mother 'If it is good enough for this girl, it is certainly good enough you girls'. We sat round the table in our robes, teasing each other over which boys might fancy any one of us.

Mother came in and told us to stop being silly, we are only acting. Then asked if any of us had anything planned for the morning. We all said nothing, so she suggested that as our last day as her girls we might like to spend it together as girls. We all three of us looked at each other, and then they both looked at me, their hint that it was for me to reply. 'What do you have in mind?'

She went on to suggest that the matinee was at three, with the last performance at seven, with the after show party following that. So we had until two and it was just turned nine, so if we were up for it she suggested that we might like to have some real girl fun and go shopping. Once again we all shot quick looks around the table.
'Where?' I asked,

'nowhere close, I thought the big new shopping mall up the motorway'

'And as girls' Jane asked

'Off course, boys are no fun at shopping, girls are the only true shoppers'

Another quick look around, and almost as one we said 'if you are sure?' or something like that.

Her response 'Off course I am, I would never have asked if I had not meant it. Now shift those pretty little arses and get dressed.'

We were chattering up the stairs expressing how this could be so scary or absolutely brilliant, none of us sure which way it might come out. Once in their bedrooms, Jane and Philippa let out delighted squeals and came running into my room carrying what they had found on their beds. We all had a long top and a pair of thick leggings. 'Where did these come from?'

'I don't know, I guess mother, are we going to wear them?'

Jane was the keenest 'I have seen lots of girls wearing these styles, she would not buy them just for us to ignore them. It will have to be the black shoes though and they are so high, my feet where killing me after just a few hours in them, I could be ruined by the end today'

Mother then made her entrance 'So girls, you have found my treat, those stage clothes are not appropriate for teenage girls, that is why I choose something more suitable for today. Now off and get ready I want to leave in thirty minutes'

'What!' we cried and ran off get ready.

Forty five minutes later we are all sat in her car wearing our new outfits, soft make up on and unfortunately heels on all our feet. Mother drove and made conversation with us asking about what school was like, what the other two planned for the future, about their parents. General stuff adults ask young people about, but at no time did she suggest why she wanted to take us shopping.

We started by mingling with the crowds, getting used to being out and very much in public, no excuse that we were in play or rehearsing now, though it was really, at least I rationalised it that way. Then we went into a couple of department stores and just mooched around the rails. Mother fingered clothes on the racks, occasionally picking something out and holding it up. In time we copied her, Jane was the first to pick out a white lacy top and ask what we thought, mother said her bra would be seen, Jane replied that was meant to be the idea. This was followed by going into an upmarket boutique where mother found a nice short summer dress, and after a quiet word telling us to behave, she went into the changing rooms, coming out to ask our opinions. We all said it suited her, so she bought it. I could tell she would have loved to have a daughter but for whatever reason she had a son, which normally made such shopping, delights impossible, so she was making the most of her opportunity. The last shop we went in before lunch was a jewelers, she knew the school did not allow ear piercing, but she felt that a necklace might be acceptable, if worn inside our shirts. So she asked us all to pick a necklace so we had a memento of our time as her girls. Philippa picked a plain chain, I choose a more delicate rope necklace, Jane however went for a very intricate chain with a pink stone pendant on it. I think that said something about our levels of commitment to this new way of life we were learning.

All too soon it seemed we were going back home. Mother thought it might be good if we went to the theatre in our opening outfits then all we needed to do was stage make up, and no word of objection was raised by her three girls. Mr Watts greeted us at the door, 'Welcome ladies, looking divine I must say, you have certainly come prepared. Ready for the final round girls. And Mrs Edwards are you coming along to our after show party? We have room booked at the Jubilee Hotel just down the road.' We left them chatting as Mr Watts seemed to being a little OTT with mother and her efforts to turn us into passable female actors.

The matinee went smoothly, lots of pensioners in the audience who were not really that good at picking up the comedy, but did clap heartily at the end. Jane said her gran went to anything that had cheap tickets just for a reason to go out, so maybe there was lots of Jane type grandparents out there just in the theatre for something to do on a Saturday afternoon.

The evening was different, many parents had tickets for this one, a lot lived some distance away so Saturday was a good day to make the trip and see what their sons had been up to at school, while spending their money on an education. My father would be there as well as mother, Philippa said her parents were planning on making the long trip from their posting in Scotland down to London for the play. Jane however was not so lucky her parents were diplomats in China and she would not see them until the summer.

The show was the best with everyone out to prove themselves before their parents it seemed. I was doing my best to play my part as convincingly as possible, maybe a little too convincingly, because, by the time we had got to the kiss scene, me and Paul had got the flirting looks off to a tee, so come the embrace and I am stood on tip toe, I felt myself being lifted off the floor as he pulled me up to his lips. I am not sure how many of the audience knew that I was in fact Russell most of the time, certainly my father, and as he held me and kissed I could not help but think 'this could be an awkward conversation later'. Kiss over we finished, took our bows and encores. Then there were speeches to be made, people to be thanked, flowers to be given. One of which was for mother, Mrs Grace Edwards made her way out of the audience to receive her thanks for helping the 'girls' in the cast, who were then presented with bouquets themselves, we curtseyed and said thanks to Mr Watts while we all blushed a bright crimson beneath our heavy make up.

Back stage everyone was hugging and patting each other on the back, we were all on a high. Parents started to come back and congratulate their offspring. Father appeared and slapped me on the back, not to hard thankfully 'Jolly good show that, enjoyed it enormously, Grace had been saying you was putting everything into this one. She was right' I was wondering if he was pleased with having a son dressed in a cocktail dress and heels. When he came out with 'one day I must tell you about some of the things we did as students, make you smile I'm sure' and with that he gave me a hug and asked if he should call me Kim while I was looking like a daughter. I said Kim would be fine, 'Right well then Kim, you have a party to go to, I have a table booked for me and your mother, so if you give me a call when you are ready to leave, I shall come and pick you up'

Jane was looking a little lost so mother included her in our family for the moment, giving her a hug and telling her how good she had been. Reality came back when Philippa joined us, 'Our clothes are at your house, what can we wear to the party?'

Mother came over all apologetic, she had forgotten to pick up their bags and so until they got to their dorms all they had were stage clothes. 'You could go as you are, those are party frocks after all.'

Just at that moment Gerard moved into our group, 'Well then ladies, would any of you like me to escort you to this party' we all looked at him.

Mother chipped in 'Well it looks like at least one of you has a date. Gerard remember to be a gentleman won't you' he put an arm over Philippa and Jane's shoulder.

'I'm afraid you are not included, I think Paul would fall out with me if I made a move on his girl'

'What!' I said

'Just ask anyone, we all have you two down as an item'

Just then Paul came near. 'Paul. Have you heard this, Gerard says everyone thinks we are dating.'

His response was to step over to me, kiss my cheek, everyone cheered. 'So it seems' he then turned to my father, 'Good evening Mr Edwards, Mrs Edwards, do you mind if I escort your beautiful daughter to the after show party?'

Mother got in first 'Off course Paul, you go ahead and enjoy yourselves'

As Paul said thank you to my parents he took my hand and lead me out into the evening air for the short walk to the hotel. Closely followed by Gerard who was walking between my girlfriends, one on each arm.

The party was great fun, Paul and some of the older boys had sneaked in some spirits and added it to our soft drinks, which just made us behave even more girly, like the champagne had before. There was music on, but only the brave danced, except for a couple of boys who asked female staff for a dance and Mr Watts who asked each of us girls for a dance. For a slow dance Paul and I were pushed onto the floor, followed by Jane and a willing partner Gerard. We did what seemed like a very long shuffling waltz until the song ended and I could make my escape from the clapping party. I grabbed Jane and said 'Ladies. Now'

Once in the safety of the room no man will go into, 'What are we doing?' I looked at her, she was very pretty in her silver tube dress. 'We have school on Monday'

She took hold of me and pulled me into a hug. 'It is ok, everyone knows the truth, just enjoy the moment, see where it takes you. This might never happen again, if Paul wants to kiss you, let him, worry about Monday on Monday'

'Have you and Gerard, you know....kissed?'

'Only a quick one, nothing like your stage snog, but who knows'

'You think we should just....... well for tonight anyway'

'Yes, now come on, Philippa might be wondering what we are doing in here'

We walked out the door to find Paul and Gerard waiting for us 'Just like real girls, hiding in the loo for a gossip'

'It was not like that at all, Kim needed to freshen up her lipstick and I needed the toilet. Now then Gerard Mann you were making some rather interesting suggestions back there' she took his hand and walked away from the function room towards the hotel lobby.

'So just me and you' I said

'You are totally believable you know, I don't know how you did it but from that boy we did our first read through with to this, I would have said impossible, but now I can tell you, if there was some way to keep you as my girlfriend I would jump at it.'

With his flattery and Jane's words echoing in my ears, I reached up put my arms around his neck, pulling myself up to his lips.

'Oh my god, is this how a girl feels?' I thought to myself. Paul put his hands into the small of my back and pulled me to his body 'When did he learn to use his tongue like that, ummm very nice' my mind was drifting while my senses enjoyed his attention. Then for some reason I was kicked back into reality, I have school on Monday as Russell. Then after a moment of indecision I felt his lips and tongue press on mine and thought 'Enjoy it, who knows it might never happen again' and pulled myself towards him for more urgent kissing. And a very interesting time which might never be repeated, so I just let go and stopped thinking of Monday, enjoying the moment.

up
118 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That was sweet

Makes you want Monday to never come.

A very nice, cute little

A very nice, cute little story. The coming Monday for Kim/Russell and the other two 'girls' had me thinking of the "Mamas & Pappas' song "Monday, Monday". For some reason, it just seemed to fit into my mind with this story line. Jan

Regardless ...

littlerocksilver's picture

..of the authors intentions, this sweet story begs for more. Obviously, mother is quite intuitive about the true nature of her 'daughter'.

Portia

Portia

Yes, More Please

Very nice feel good story. I really do not want it to end.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

Seductive

joannebarbarella's picture

Nicely done. You really captured the seductiveness of being a young girl. Even if you never tell us, my money says that Kim won't go away,

Joanne

Wonderful story so far!

I hope to see it continue! At the end, while Phillipa and Kim are talking to each other about their experiences, the question is raised as to whether either of them is done experimenting and exploring. The show must go on!

Best,
Lisa

'Oh my god, is this how a girl feels?' I thought to myself.

This IS EXACTLY how a girl feels. I have grown up as a girl, and I can tell you that the feelings of romance between a girl and a guy are ecstatic and electric. They shoot through your whole body giving you emotions that every girl has. Are there things we think about when kissing a guy? You bet there are, like we will think how storng he is, and how romantic and chivalrous. And OMG! He is such a good kisser, I wonder how he is in bed. Oh yes! We think about those things, and they are lovely thoughts. Don't ask me what guys think about because it was a mistake of nature with the body I was born in, and I have never acted like a guy, so I can't tell you what they're thoughts are when they kiss us.

This story is sweet, and very romantic. I for one would like to read more about Paul and Kim, and have Kim tell her parents that she is really a girl, and it took this play to find that out, and then tell them about that nice, long lasting kiss at the after party, and what she was thinking during that kiss. The bonding between the "girls" is exactly how girls bond, and even a big sister or mother, or both, might join in. It is really a lovely story. Thank you for sharing it and please continue it.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

School Play

I believe it is possible to get carried away under the circumstances these
boys were put in. But only someone who is "bent" to begin with would want
to have any of these boys surrender their manhood in favor of becoming a
women. There is something a little bit better than being a "beautiful women,"
and that is holding one in your arms and calling her yours knowing full well
she holds the pink slip to your heart.

Kaptin Nibbles

I would like to relate to this story!

Wouldn't we all?

Nice one Lauran!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Comment

Thanks Rita
It is always nice to get a compliment
Keep smiling
Lauran