Allergies Suck - Chapter 4 - Part 7 - The first day of school

Printer-friendly version
Allergies Suck
by Barbara Lynn Terry
 
Chapter IV - Part VII - The first day of school.

 


 

Mom woke me up, and said I had to get ready for school, and that she had already ran my bubble bath with the rose scent. I swung my feet out from the covers, and slid my feet in to my slippers. I looked at the sleepy eyed, hair a mess girl in the mirror, grabbed my robe and shuffled off to get my bath. The weight of the breast forms reminding me with every step that I am now a girl, and I have to act like one. While I sat in the tub the last week came flooding back to me.

Everything had started when all of a sudden my clothes decided to rebel against me, and leave my body with red blotches all over. Then the doctor tells me that I am allergic to certain fabrics, like cotton and wool. So, mom and I set out to see if there were any clothes in the boys and men section of J.C. Penny's. There weren't so we found ourselves in the ladies section. There mom got me almost a whole wardrobe of skirts, dresses, lingerie, sleepwear, and I don't remember what else. Then we had a girls night in, and mother showed me how girls can have fun just bonding, as she called it, in the house. She did my nails, and did my hair, and she had made pizza, and we watched Bring It On. Well not really, but we heard it, anyway. Then we registered me for school, and almost had to fight a complete world war just to get me in school. We saw an attorney, and there is a court hearing today at four thirty. Then we bought more clothes, and then we spent this last weekend together as mother and daughter. Then I meet this boy at the beach and agreed to let him take me to a dance in the next town. His mother will be driving us. Welcome to girlhood, Wilhelmina.

"Billie, come on or you're going to be late."

Mom was really worried about me though, because last semester I was beaten up several times by these troglodytes who couldn't get even a D on their report cards. They wouldn't able to anyway because they were too busy beating people up. I just hope there are none of them at Audubon.

Anyway, I rinsed off, and went to get dressed. Mom had already laid my outfit for the day, out. My light pastel pink dress, with simple white lingerie, my pastel pink dress shoes with a one inch heel, and a pair of tan nylons. I got dressed, and went down to breakfast. Mom had made eggs, sausage, and toast, and had my milk by my place.

After breakfast, she brushed my hair into a really neat pony tail, and declared me ready to meet the masses, as she said. I got up, took my small purse, and we headed out the door. Once buckled in, mom drove me to the school. There was a long line of kids waiting to get in. I hugged mom goodbye, and got out of the car. Well this is the test. Will I pass?"

As I stood with the other students, waiting for the bell, I thought about Dennis, and how he had so ... shyishly? ... coaxed me to go to a dance with him. Was his stuttering an act, or was he really that shy around girls? We will see when the dance comes up. The first bell rang and we all filed in to the building. Since nobody had books yet, we just went to our homeroom and first class. Actaually our classes were three in one in ninety minute blocks as we were told by our first teacher.

My first teacher was Mrs. Nettings. She looked older than mom, but still had a hint of auburn in her hair. She wore a smart skirt suit, and smiled every now and then. Some of the boys were messing around in the back of the classroom, and Mrs. Nettings just walked over to them and asked them nicely if they wanted a suspension on the first day of school. Some of the girls giggled, and then we were handed our first block books. History, geography, and civics. I guess they all go together somehow.

Mrs. Nettings started right out and asked anyone of us if we knew anything about some history of our country. A lot of hands went up, and several answered right, but the boys that were messing around, couldn't even get where the Rocky mountains were located, right. There were more giggles from the girls, and Mrs. Nettings did not seem amused. As I sat in this classroom, I watched how the girls sat, and how the boys mostly behaved themselves, except for these four troglodytes in the back. I will have to watch out for them.

Then Mrs. Nettings called on me, and asked me if I knew where Old Faithful was located. When I said it was located in Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, I got a beaming thank you from Mrs. Nettings.

"That is correct Billie, and do you know when it was called Old Faithful?

"In 1870, ma'am."

"Thank you, Billie."

(Author's note: If you would like to know more about Old Faithful and it's historic rise to fame, if you will, here is the link to the wikipedia version. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Faithful_Geyser)

"Class, as most of you know, you can only get smarter by doing. There are times when it is good to mess around and tell jokes, but when you are at work, and you certainly will be when you are older, then it is time to work. So class, please consider this your work that you have to do. Let me say this for right now. You can get better jobs with a high school diploma than you can without one. Even to work as a garbage collector for the city, you have to have a high school diploma, and then you take a civil service examination both written and oral. So I want all of you to pass this class and make sure that you are on your way. There is always time and places to go to have a good time, this isn't one of them. Now, to the four young gentlemen in the back that seem to think this is a party. We study in here, so you can get a good job when you graduate from school. Remember students, you only have to go to school until you graduate from the twelfth grade. Then you have the rest of your life to mess around, if that is what you wish to do with your adult life. My job here is to teach you facts that we know that you will need in your adult life.

"Let's say that you are working, and your vacation comes up. You want to go somewhere, but haven't any idea of how to get there. That is where geography comes in. Let's say you want to see Old Faithful, but don't know why it is called that. That is where history comes in. Or let's say you have accumulated several weeks vacation, and you want to go to another country like England or Australia. That is where civics comes in, because you will certainly have to know how they govern themselves and what the people are like. Even here in our own country, we have to know about our government, because to go to another country, you need what is called a passport. You won't know how to get one, if you don't study about civics.

"Billie, where did you learn about Old Faithful?"

"I read a lot, ma'am, so I get books from the library. I saw a book about Old Faithful, so I took it out and read it. But I read it more than once though, because of how it was written and the information it gave."

"So see class, you can only become smarter by doing, and I hope you all do well in my classes this semester. Now, since this is the first day, we can actually talk a little. Isn't Billie an odd name for a girl?"

"No ma'am, my birth name is Wilhelmina, but I don't use it much. Everybody just calls me Billie. It is a lot easier." See, I told you I had to think fast.

"Thank you, Billie. I assume that is with an ie at the end?"

"Yes, ma'am," I and several other girls just giggled.

I like this teacher, she is firm but not, how can I say this, bitchy, like the one I had at Forest Home. She yelled at the boys, and made sure she was heard when she was explaining things. Mrs. Nettings isn't like that though. She is firm, but not loud. Before today, mom and I were certain that Mr. Erdheim would pass the word to the teachers. Apparently we were wrong. Well, this is only the first day, anyway.

The bell rang for the end of the period, but not the block. We were still in Mrs. Nettings classroom. I had two blocks before the lunch bell would ring. So far, everything seemed to be working just fine. But I will still watch out for those troglodytes. I wonder why boys are that way anyway. Oh well, maybe someday I will find out. But for right now, I am a girl in middle school, and so far have earned what is called brownie points from the teacher. But I'm not a real smarty or anything like that, I just learn quick and comprehend what I read faster than most, I guess. Anyway, even though some may call me smart, I never use that when I am not in school anyway, even on the computer it takes me time to read and digest certain things because of the big words they use. But once I learn something, I never forget it.

So anway, here I am, and so far no problems. We continued to talk, and several students said what they did over the summer, and then we all talked about Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. When several of the girls found out that we all liked Hermione, we started a Hermione Granger fan club. This was unofficial of course, but then someone said we should write to the official Hermione Granger fan club and see if we could become an official chapter. Then the third bell rang, and we had to go to our next block. We said good night to Mrs. Nettings, who promised that tomorrow we would be in full swing, whatever that meant.

My next block was English, Comprehansive Writing and Debate. Debate? I didn't see that on my schedule. I looked at my schedule again, and yes, there it was. I will have to pay more attention from now on. I mean, this is still a fog to me. I know how I am dressed, and have to act, but it is still going fast. Maybe by the end of the school year, it will be to a...normal?...pace. Maybe.

So anyway, we got to our next block on the first floor of the school, and we all sat in our chosen seats. Two of the troglodytes decided to sit near me. What they didn't know was, the seat you picked was your seat for the semester. I wasn't going to let them bother me.

Our teacher for this block was Mr. Daniels. He was young, about mom's age. He wore a navy blue suit with sky blue tie, and a cream colored shirt. His eyes sparkled...stop that Wilhelmina, you're noticing guys more and more, and this one is way too old for you. Now why did I even think that? Like I said, do these clothes have some kind of magic in them that makes me think and act like a girl? I wonder. But even though I had that thought in my mind, I remembered what mom had said. Okay, so maybe I will notice boys more and more, but do I have to have a mind crush on my first male teacher? Well anyway, the first thing he said was.

"Welcome students, to my nightmare. In this block we will be learning three subjects simultaneously. Can anybody tell me what simulataneous means?

I looked around and saw nobody raise their hand. I raised my hand.

"Yes, young lady. Would you start by giving me your name, and telling the class what simultaneous means?"

"Yes, sir. My name is Wilhemina, but everybody just calls me Billie. Simultaneous as you used it Mr. Daniels, means together. In other words, sir, we will be learning all three subjects together rather than separately."

"That is correct. Are you Miss Billie James, then?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. You seem to know things, Miss James. Did you have spelling at your last school?"

"Yes, sir, we did. We even had spelling bees too, where we had to stand before the whole school and spell difficult words."

"Well simultaneous is a difficult word for your age. Do you learn things well, Miss James?"

"Yes, sir. I was told that I comprehend things well and that my retention rate is one hundred per cent. I was told that after our last test of the school year."

"That is fantastic for a young lady, your age. You may sit down, Miss James."

I smoothed my dress as I sat, the way mother had showed me, and the troglodytes near me, just whispered miss smarty panties. Yep, they're troglodytes alright. I ignored them, even though I had heard what they said. Mr. Daniels then went on to say that what he had said about learning things together, was correct, because all three subjects interacted with each other.

"Can somebody please tell me what interact, means?"

Soliel (pronounced so lay) Jennings raised her hand.

"Yes, young lady, will you gives us your name, and tell us what interact means, please?"

"Yes, Mr. Daniels. My name is Soliel Jennings, and interact means that you take part actively in whatever. Like with debate, sir, we will be taking an active part by discussing different things that take part in our lives, either directly or indirectly."

"That is correct, Miss Jennings. I am impressed by how the young ladies in my class have been so far. I hope the rest of you are as these two have been."

Gina Torre (prounounced tory) raised her hand.

"Yes, young lady, name first, and then tell us what you have to say, please."

"Thank you, Mr. Daniels. My name is Gina Torre, and I also have been told that I have a high comprehension and retention rate as well. I went to school with Billie and Soliel at Forest Home, and we were very good friends. I hope that continues. By the way, Billie, that is a lovely dress." She was smiling, and she sat down, and I turned several shades of pink.

"Thank you, Gina. So you see class...what are your names boys, the ones trying to get Miss James' attention?"

"Daniel Grady, sir, and I don't like miss smarty panties, either with this girl or any other. My dad says you only need to know so much and that is what I will learn. Even if I don't pass, so what, I will be working with my dad anyway."

"And the other boy?" Mr. Daniels asked in a stern voice.

"I'm Jimmy Grady, Daniel's brother, and I'm with him. All these smarty panties think they're better than everyone else. My dad even said so."

"Well thank you for your honesty. Next, the saying is smarty pants, not the other word you two used. If I see you in this class or anywhere else in the school, bothering any one, because you feel you don't have to learn, then I will not hesitate to suspend you, or even have you expelled. Do I make myself clear, gentlemen?"

"Yeah, whatever," the both said together.

Troglodytes never learn. Anyway, the rest of the block went fairly well, all of the girls knew what the subjects were about, and we had fun talking about this and that. Then the first bell rang ending English, but not Comprehensive Writing or Debate. Mr. Daniels during our talk had us interact with our studies, so that by the end of the period we knew pretty much. Of course, essay assignments were passed out, and the boys all groaned. Daniel and Jimmy had to write about why a high school diploma was needed, even to work in a family business. They blamed that on me, of course, but I didn't care, as long as they left me alone. I mean, these two were dressed like Fonzie, except for the motorcycle boots. They were both wearing penny loafers. All of a sudden I didn't like mine all that much now. The third bell rang ending the block and it was lunch time. After lunch we had one more block, at least for me and the girls, the boys had PE.

As I got to the cafeteria, I got in line behind this boy...DENNIS!!! OMG! What am I going to say? Do I look alright? Is my dress the right one? OMG! Wait! What am I thinking? OMG! Am I that much of a girl? Well, here goes nothing.

"Hi Dennis," I said as angelic as possible.

He turned to see who was behind him, and his eyes lit up. "Wilhelmina, uhm, Billie, I didn't know you were going to school here. With me. Now." When he saw I had only taken a yogurt from the cooler, he asked me if that is all I was having for lunch.

"Dennis, you don't have to stutter around me, I don't bite. And yes, this is all I am having for lunch. Everything else looks like it has a lot of things that aren't good for me in it. Wanna sit together?" There I go again.

"Sure."

When we had paid for our lunch, Soliel and Gina were just sitting down. "Hey, Billie, over here, sit with us. Who's your friend, Billie?"

"This is Dennis, He's taking me to a twelve to fourteen year old dance, on Friday."

"Billie James," Gina smirked, "I never thought a tomboy like you would have a boyfriend."

"Well, I guess he is a boy, and he is a friend, but he is not a boyfriend the way you mean, Gina." We just sat there giggling, while Dennis just kept eating. "It is at the VFW post in Hillman. I guess his dad belongs to that post or something."

"Is that right, Dennis," Soliel added. "Does your dad belong to that post?"

"Yes...he...does. "

"Dennis is a little shy around girls." Gina and Soliel looked at each other. "When he asked me, mom and I were at the beach. He used the 'I'm sorry the beach ball got away from me' thing. Then I invited him to have lunch with us, and we met his parents, and that was when I was told that his mom would be driving us. Anyway, he stuttered so badly, that I had to bring him down. He is still doing it though. Maybe I can help with that. I told him he doesn't need to stutter around me, because I don't bite." Gina and Soliel giggled.

"I do, but I won't say where," Gina said with a chomping motion with her teeth.

"Gina!" Both Soliel and I said together, and poor Dennis jumped.

Yes, Gina was only twelve like Soilel and I, but she was just a little more into boys than I care to even think about. The only thing I know about boys, were the games we played. That was when I decided they were way too rough for me. I didn't know all about the sex thing, until mom had told me, and what I read on wikipedia. So, I guess, as a twelve year old girl, I am going to need to know it anyway. As we finished our lunch, Gina had asked me if I was on her gym schedule.

"No Gina, I can't take gym, because the towels they use are cotton and so are the gym clothes. I'm allergic to them. I have to wear synthetic materials. So I will have another class."

"Oh that's too bad, because we could be on the same team when we play volleyball and have track. What do you have instead of gym, then?"

"Let me see." I checked my schedule, and it said home ec, whatever that was. "It just says home ec."

"Who's the teacher?"

"Uhm, Mrs. Fielding."

"Lainnie said she is a wonderful teacher," added Soliel. Lainnine or Lainnie is Soliel's older sister, who is s sophomore in high school now. She went to this school three years ago. So anyway, I was told I could look forward to having a good teacher. Well so far, I had two good teachers, we will see just how good Mrs. Fielding is.

Dennis and we girls split up because Dennis had different classes. After we got away from him, Soliel wanted to know if I was going to go steady with him.

"Mom doesn't want me to date with a boyfriend until I am at least fourteen. But this dance we are going to is chaperoned. His mother, as well as other parents will be there keeping an eye on us."

"That still doesn't mean he won't sneak a kiss or two."

"Gina, you have a one track mind," Soliel said bumping into Gina with her hips.

"I certainly do. BOYS!" We all giggled, and I looked at my schedule, and I had to go to the second floor. The girls headed down to the basement where the boys and girls gyms were. We had a group hug, and I went to my class.

I went in the classroom, and took a seat midway up the first aisle. Mrs. Fielding looked older, with grey hair, and had on a smart dress, with sensible flat, black shoes. She was busy doing something, until the whole class was filled up.

"Good morning, class. I see several new faces this semester. For those of you who have opted to take this class again, welcome back. I am sure that by the time you are through this semester, you will know enough to get by, even if it is sewing a button on your husbands shirts." There were giggles. "I am a fair, but firm teacher, but I will also help if I see you are having problems. What we will be doing in this block, is minor cooking, and sewing. I will have garments like shirts or pants, or maybe even a dress or a blouse that is ripped somewhere along the seams.

"Now, other than the students that are taking this class again, because they want to, I have one question. How many of you new students know how to cook, say, somewhat, but not all that good." Several girls raised their hands. There were some girls who didn't. "Good. In this class I will teach you what you don't know. Now let me see, the young lady in the first row, fifth seat back. Would you stand, please and give us your name, and how much cooking do you know."

"Thank you, Mrs. Fielding. My name is Billie James, and I have cooked breakfast at home, when my mother wasn't up yet."

"And what kind of breakfast did you cook?"

"I can cook eggs, bacon, and toast breakfast, as well as pancakes and waffles, and I know how to brown sausages without burning them."

"Very good, Billie. In this class, ladies, I will address you by your first names. I will make sure I address the right girl if there are more than one student with the same first name. I am fair, and I have a sense of humor. But there are no boys in this class, so we can have a good time.

"There is one fundamental when it comes to cooking, and that is how much heat to use. We have both a gas range, and an electric one, and we will be using both this semester. That is so you get used to using both, just in case you have to at some time in your lives. Now, for a gas range, you are cooking eggs for breakfast. How high should the flame be on the burner you are using for the eggs?" I raised my hand. "Billie, would you demonstrate over here on the range please?" I got up and went to the stove. I turned on the the front left burner, and put the flame at a low height. "Billie, the eggs are in the refrigerator, now it is alright in this class if you say fridge. Most people do mostly, anyway." I got out two eggs.

"Are these to be scrambled, or fried, and if fried, are they to be over easy, sunny side up, or hard with the yolks broken?"

"I am impressed, so far, Bilie. Just scramble them, please."

"Will that be soft, medium, or hard scrambled, ma'am?"

"You sure you're not a midget? Well done, Billie. Soft scramble them, please. The bowls are over in the cupboard on the wall."

"Do you have any cooking spray?"

"Why would you need cooking spray, Billie? Won't corn oil or butter do?"

"No ma'am. Cooking spray is better for you. We use olive oil, if we use oil, or canola cooking spray. These are much better for you, and are very low in cholesterol."

"Billie James, I am amazed. How old are you, Billie?"

"I'm twelve, ma'am, but like I said I cook breakfast at home. Mom is teaching me how to make dinners with roasts and other meats."

"Well, I will have to meet her. In fact, students, I would like to meet all of your parents. But I can wait until the parent/teacher conference. Alright, Billie, there is a wire whisk in the drawer right by the cupboard. Billie, what are you going to do with the wire whisk?"

"I am going to use it to scramble the eggs in the bowl, before putting them in the pan."

"That is correct. Are you just going to put the eggs in the pan, after you scramble them?"

"Well, I am going to put a little milk in the with the eggs, before I scramble them. This makes the eggs fluffier."

"Alright, Billie, do your thing as we used to say." There were more giggles.

I got out the milk from the fridge, and poured just a touch in the eggs. I sprayed the pan with the canola cooking spray, then I used the wire whisk to scramble them, and as I was still scrambling them I poured them in the pan. Then I took a plastic pancake turner (that is different than a spatula) and started moving the eggs around in the pan. She wanted them soft scrambled, so I didn't have do move them around much, just so the whites were cooked. I then put them on a saucer when they were done. I got out a fork, and handed the saucer to Mrs. Fielding. She took a bite, and then she smiled.

"I don't even make mine this soft, but these are delicious, Billie. Thank you. Girls, what Billie just showed us, is what we will learn here. Nobody has ever flunked my class. The students that are taking this class again, are here by there own choice, and I am glad to have them. Now I will pass this saucer around, so make sure you only take a teensy bit, so everbody can have some. Your utensils are on your desk wrapped in the pink paper napkin."

After everybody had a taste, if that was what it is called, everybody said it was delicious. I thanked them, and then we went on to sewing.

"Now class, we are going to do a bit of sewing. I am just doing this today to kind of get your feet wet a little, so you know what we will be doing. Now let me see, who can I call on? Oh yes, Joanne Windsor. Would you please take this dress, and note that it has a seam rip right around the sleeve? I want you to show us how to repair that seam so it looks like nothing was ever wrong."

"Yes. ma'am. I will try my best."

She took the dress and went over to one of the sewing machines. She took a thread pick and started picking at the thread still around the seam.

"Why are you doing that, Joanne?"

"Because the rip is almost all around the whole sleeve, ma'am. So I have to take out the rest of the thread so the seam looks natural."

"That is correct. I am impressed. How do you know so much about sewing?"

"I sew my own clothes, and I made this dress."

"Stand up, dear, and let us see how you did."

She stood up, and there wasn't as thread out of place, and nothing seemed to be wrong. Everything was perfect.

"Alright Joanne, you may continue."

First she threaded the bobbin, and placed it in the little compartment for it. Then she threaded the needle, from the spool of thread on top of the machine. She turned the grament inside out.

"Joanne, why did you just turn the garment inside out?"

"Because that is the side you sew from. If I sewed this dress on the outside, everybody would see the stitching."

"That is correct. You may continue."

She then messed with the little knob on the front of the machine, then started sewing around the edge of the material.

"Joanne, why are you doing this, and what is this procedure called?"

"I have to do this, because cloth has threads that stick out. You cut as much of the hanging threads as possible. Then you take the garment and run it through using the needle and the bobbin. This is called a serge, it protects the outer edge of the cloth. On most machines today, there is a stitching you put the knob at so you can do the serge."

"You certainly know your theory. Now let us see how you sew it."

After she had serged both the sleeve and around the shoulder part, she placed the sleeve even with the shoulder part, and started sewing. She turned the garment as she sewed. After she had made a full turn, she then ran the needle back and forth a few times. Then she locked the needle in the up position.

"Joanne, why did you run the needle back and forth, after you made the full turn?"

"Because ma'am, this is called locking. You have to lock the threads or they will come undone."

"Joanne, I am amazed that one so young could know that much about sewing. Now turn the garment right side out, so we can all see how you did."

The dress was passed around, and sure enough, there weren't any holes, or anything else wrong. It looked just like the other sleeve. This was a fun class. I wonder what we will do tomorrow. For the rest of the block we just talked. Some were thinking about going swimming yet, until it got so cold out. Of course there wouldn't be any lifeguards so we would be swimming at our own risk. But it was still very warm out yet, and this weekend was supposed to be warmer. Global warming, I guess. Anyway, we were having so much fun the end of the block bell rang.

I went to put my books that I had gotten in first and second blocks in my locker, and went out to meet mom. She was already waiting on the other side of the street, when I got out of the door.

"Well dear, how did it go?"

"It went really well. There are a few troglodytes that think miss smarty panties are all stuck ups, but other than that, everything went well."

"Did they threaten you?"

"No mom. Mr. Daniels is our second block teacher, and he told two of them, that if he saw them bothering anybody in the class, he was going to suspend them, or see that they got expelled. But I had three really nice teachers, and I have Soliel and Gina in my classes too."

"OMG honey, I had completely forgotten about them. Did they say anything about the way your were dressed?"

"No mom, Gina even called me a tomboy. I saw Dennis during lunch, he, Soilel, Gina and I sat together. Gina said she didn't think a tomboy like me would have a boyfriend. I had told them he was taking me to the dance on Friday. But, I had a fun day."

"That's good. Well, let's go and get something light before we have to go to the children's court."

"Okay. How about Burger King, and we can have an ice cream, if they still have any."

"That sounds like fun. Let's go."

Mom pulled in to BK's drive thru window lane, and waited behind the other cars. We got through quickly, and parked on the street, while we had our custard. Mom asked me some more questions about school.

"So what classes are you taking?"

"First block I have history, geography, and civics. For my second block I have English, comprehensive writing, and debate. Then I have lunch, and after lunch I have home economics, where we will be doing cooking and sewing. I had to soft scramble two eggs for Mrs.Fielding, our teacher. She said they were the best she had had because even she doesn't make hers that soft at home."

"Well, sounds like you had a lot of fun."

"I did. I really did. If the rest of the school year goes like today, I will have the best year of school this far."

Well we talked some more about the debate class mom was in in high school and in college. She said she had to debate things that she didn't like, only because that was the subject for that day. She said she had fun though, because a class is as boring as you make it. Or it can be as fun as you make it, too. While she was still telling me about her school days, we headed for the children's court. This is going to be the test, and we will see where I stand. We got to the childrens court, and Mr. Brown was waiting in the parking lot for us. After we got out of the car, he walked over to us.

"Well, you got here a little early. I was expecting that, because we can over a few points, that I am sure you haven't thought about yet, Billie. Like, the judge may ask you why you want to be a girl. You just tell him the truth. You have to be a girl because of your allergies. I..."

"Excuse me, Mr. Brown, but that isn't the only reason. A boy my age asked me to go to a dance with him at the VFW post in Hillman on Friday. It is a chaperoned dance, and his mother is driving us. His dad will already be there. His name is Dennis and he is kinda shy around girls. I told him I don't bite."

"You sure you aren't a girl? I heard my daughter say that very same thing to a boy once. If I didn't know any better, I would say that you should have the surgeries, because you already have the the mind set. Well, I can see I don't have to tell you anything, not now, anyway. Let's go in and get registered."

We went in, and Mr. Brown told the sheriff why we were here, and gave my name. He was told to be seated, and we waited for what seemed a long time, but it was only a half an hour. Then a lady from inside the courtroom called us in.

up
135 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you,

ALISON

'for another great story-----most enjoyable and more believable than a lot of people would think.I'll PM you when you finish the story.I will be in hospital for a week from Wednesday so will catch up when I get home.Thanks again,love and best wishes,ALISON

ALISON

Sadly ...

... this is looking more and more like a setup. A sudden, incurable and untreatable allergy that only started a week ago? A complete inability to have someone tailor-make William some boy's clothes in synthetic fibers -- supposedly because of money, but HEY! We can buy him a complete girl's wardrobe, no problem at all ... because after all, girl's clothing is SO much less expensive than boy's. NOT. *sigh*

i wonder if the judge will buy the allergy excuse as a valid medical reason for allowing a thirteen-year-old child to irrevocably alter their gender? Considering how many hoops adults need to jump through before they can have SRS, it would be surprising, especially considering how little has been done on researching and attempting to cure the allergy without resorting to something that could lead a boy child forced into a girl's role to have a lot of mental anguish. Unless the judge is in it with the Mom and the Doctor (and the lawyer), it would be a bit of a stretch.

Someone obviously thought William would be better off as a girl. Maybe they were right, since he seems to be taking to it well, but still ... he seems like he'd be smart enough to see through the conspiracy, if he didn't trust his Mom as much as he does. And I guess that's the sad part, that she's using his trust in her to turn his world upside down "for his own good." i hope it doesn't hurt their relationship when he finally learns the truth.

I guess we'll wait and see. *smile*

Randa

"BUFFY: We have a marching jazz band?
OZ: Yeah, but, you know, since the best jazz is improvisational, we'd be going off in all directions, banging into floats... Scary.
WILLOW: (apologizing) He's just being Oz.
OZ: Pretty much full-time."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Beauty and the Beasts

All I can say is it will finally

come out in court, and no, Billie's allergies didn't just start up a week before school. The red blotches were gone a week from when school started. As for your theory, I can only say that this story is left to reader interpretation.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Not just the allergy

Billie was very open minded about the new wardrobe, and although we haven't had any hints yet that he'd previously expressed a desire to be dressed en femme or believed he was a girl in the wrong body, he does seem to be taking to his new role like the proverbial duck to water.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were pointers during his childhood that guided the family to the current state - which will no doubt be revealed and explored during the court session. As Barbara's reply hints, there's more to this than just an allergy and an impending date. After all, Gina and Soliel didn't bat an eyelid when seeing their (male) friend from their previous school turning up to their new school in a dress, and even the troglodytes didn't "read" Billie.

Everything's been sailing along pretty smoothly so far (and in this episode in particular, Barbara seems to have had a little too much fun writing it!), but there will probably be disturbances ahead in the court session. Whether the judge is just objectively questioning and fact finding (swells, choppy waters) or the full-blown homophobic bigot (which crops up in many stories - a full-blown storm) remains to be seen. Hopefully the former type, as this appears to be a fairly light-hearted tale.

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thank you ;3

I am really enjoying this series mew, I love how informational yet at the same time so involving. You'd t hink random links would take away from this story, but no you do it so well I barely even notice them, they just seem like those little details that some people like to read about and if you don't you can always skip to the next page, umm if you get what I mean meow :D

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Bisexual, transsexual, gamer girl, princess, furry that writes horror stories and proud ^^

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

I'm wondering if the Home Ec

I'm wondering if the Home Ec sewing class will require Billie to deal with cotton and wool fabrics; or will she be able to work with all synthetic materials? It would be a real pain for her to handle the fabrics that she has allergies from. Altho it was the first day of class, I would have thought that Billie would be explaining about that issue to Mrs. Fielding.