On the Flip Side, Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

On the Flip Side, Chapter 8

Kacey winced in pain. She was in tears as we all ran to her side.

"It appears to be a fracture," Coach Mills said as brought some ice to put on her ankle.

"What are we going to do, we've got the regional meet on Saturday," Jessi whispered to me.

I shrugged my shoulders. We had enough all-arounders.

But Kacey was one of the competitors on the beam.

"You're going to be okay, Kacey," Coach Mills said as a trainer picked her up and carried her to the training room.

"I'll call her parents, coach," the trainer said. "Then we'll take her to the clinic."

We were silent after watching our teammate being carried out of the gym.

"We need to get rid of these long faces," Coach Mills said. "We've got a lot of work to do between now and Saturday."

The regional meet was the most important of the season so far. The top two teams went to state.

We were the favorites, but there were three other really good teams competing.

"A wobble here, a fall there, and we'll be sitting our butts home," Coach Mills once said.

"Ok, Lu, I need you over at the beam," Coach Mills said, looking in my direction.

She'd never called me that before. At least I thought she was talking to me.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" she asked.

I walked over to the beam. I had been practicing all season with Aunt Paige at "The Barn."

Shelley had also been working with me on the beam at practice.

"Get up," she said, and then gave me instructions of what she wanted me to do.

"It's a simple routine," She said. "Shelley's been telling me of your progress. We need a margin of error on the beam at the regional. Congrats Lu, you're that margin of error."

I felt more like error than margin. I slipped. I fell, twice.

I remember watching a movie about skydiving once. "Why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane" was a line in the movie.

I was thinking, "Why would anyone want to do flips and turns on a beam just a few inches wide and about four feet off a perfectly good floor?"

Somehow, I managed to stay on the beam and had an Ok landing. I was a bit wobbly throughout the whole routine, and didn't exactly stick the landing...but for me it was pretty good.

"Way to go Lucy Lu," Coach Mills shouted. "That's what we need out of you."

"Lucy Lu?" I asked.

"She calls us all nicknames," Shelley said. Just ignore it.

*****

"Give me the towel!" I shouted, almost in tears.

"Luke, I'm sorry," Beth said. "I really don't know why I said it."

"Well it hurt, it's insulting," I said. "No one likes to be called really small. I know its small."

"I was just being honest, really, I'm sorry," Beth said. "It's small, but I do think its really cute."

"That's not helping," I said, grabbing the towel.

"Oops, Luke, that didn't come out the way I meant it," she said.

The remark? She said no wonder I could pull it off in a leotard and a dance belt, because my "package" was well..."small, really small."

How did she know? Let's just say Beth has this way of talking me into things.

Beth the artist wanted to paint "a nude." So hear I was sitting on a hay bale up in her grandfather's barn, buck naked. Well, except for the towel she just tossed me.

I started looking around for my clothes.

"Luke, I really am sorry," she said. "Please, give me the towel and lets start over."

I agreed and calmed down, well as much as I could sitting naked on a hay bale.

"Besides, you have the absolutely cutest butt of anyone I know," she said.

"Please stop it!" I said.

But deep down I actually took it as a compliment.

"That's why I can't wait to see you take your warmups off at meets," she whispered as she put a flower in my hair.

"Beth, I'm doing this for you," I said. "Can you do me a big favor?"

"Which is?" Beth asked.

"Will you be my date at the Les Amies Winter Formal?" I asked.

"I was going to ask you if I could be your date," Beth said.

"Gina knows where we can pick out a tux and a dress," I said.

"Which one of us is going to wear which?" Beth asked.

"I dunno," I said. "Maybe we can do it the normal way this time."

"Oh you're spoiling all of the fun!" Beth said. "Besides, how normal can it be? You're the sorority sister."

"You have a point," I said.

*****

Mom wasn't actually thrilled with our "uniform" for the regional meet.

Dominque's mom was chairwoman for the American Cancer Society's Think Pink campaign in the fight against breast cancer.

She purchased pink, spangly leotards for the meet.

I might have made it worse by painting my nails _ hands and feet _ pink in solidarity with the rest of my teammates.

The regional meet was at Abingdon High, and it was packed.

"Which one is the boy?" the Abingdon coach asked Coach Mills during warmups. "I can't seem to tell."

"That's Lu over there," Coach Mills said. "He hasn't hit that testosterone growth spurt yet. And since he let his hair grow long, I couldn't tell the difference if I didn't know him."

Our first event was the vault. No real pressure.

I posted an 8.3, and it counted toward the team score.

We led after the first two apparatus', which also included the uneven bars, the only one I was sitting out. Marie keeps insisting she's going to teach me when I go and visit her at the lake this summer, that is if we can ever sneak off from dad.

Of course, I still don't know how I can compete in that without hurting my...well....package, no matter how small Beth thinks it is.

Our third event was the floor. It's become my favorite event. I was a bit wobbly, but did okay. I posted an 8.4.

Dominique owned the event as usual, scoring a 9.7.

We led by the slimmest of margins heading into our final event of the day, the beam. We could win the meet. We could still finish third or fourth, season over.

Since I was the lowest seed on the team, I went first. It's a lonely feeling standing on that beam and looking around. I tried not to be nervous, but it didn't work.

I slipped off the beam in the opening steps. I got back, but fell again. And for a third time as I did my dismount, falling flat on my butt.

In field hockey, I was the tough guy. Not in gymnastics.

Maybe I've been around girls way too long. I started crying on the mat.

I didn't stop when I got to the bench. I felt I let my team down.

It didn't help that Jessi had a fall on the beam as well.

"We're not going to finish first," Coach Mills told Kylie and Shelley. "We're going to have a hard time holding on to second."

Then she walked over to the bench where Jessi and I were still weeping.

"Listen to me, both of you," she said, sitting between us and putting her arm around both of us.

"I'm proud of you both," she said. "You're middle schoolers. You did okay. And Lu, this was your first time to compete on the beam. Don't be so hard on yourself. Besides, this isn't over."

She was right.

Shelley and Kylie both did well on the beam. We held on to second place.

Abingdon won.

"Are you Lucas," Abingdon's coach asked after the meet.

I shook my head yes.

"I just want to say I'm very impressed," she said. "And to be competing on beam, you're very brave. I don't know of any other boys who would even come within five feet of a beam, let alone get on one."

That made me feel a lot better, as did Coach Mills' words after the meet.

"The top eight teams in the state get to compete for a state title," she said. "We are one of those teams. Abingdon won tonight, but we can beat them. We beat them during the regular season. We can beat any team there."

She made a point to talk to me as I got into the car with mom.

"Don't let it bother you," she said. "You've got the first time out of the way. You'll do better at state."

I had a surprise waiting for me when I got home.

A basket was sitting on the front porch filled with DVDs and candy.

"There's a note," mom said.

It was from Marie.

"Wished I could have been there, kiddo! Competing on the beam for the first time is a big deal. If you guys make state, I'll be there! Love Marie.

*****

I looked at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a black tux with a stripped tie.

"You look nice," Beth said.

"Thanks!" I said. "I may also try that one over there."

"Maybe you should," she said.

"You don't think this is the one?" I asked. "You said I looked nice."

"You do look nice, but maybe that one isn't the one, you know?"

I knew what she meant. It wasn't quite right.

"Why don't I try some of dresses on and see what you think," Beth said.

I agreed.

She tried on four. She looked good in all of them.

But still, they didn't seem to be her.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Beth said.

She was eyeing a tux near the wall.

I grabbed the blue dress she was holding.

"You go get the tux," I said, "I'll try this number on."

We both laughed.

The tux she originally tried on wasn't her either.

And the dress wasn't me.

But she tried on two more tuxes before she settled on one she really liked.

Me, I melted when I saw it.

Lavender. Shoulder bearing.

It was saying come on, try me!

And try it, I did!

"Oh my God!" Beth said as I modeled if for her.

"You look dazzling!" she said.

"I know, I know," I said. "I want it, I want it. But what will mom say?"

up
139 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another goodun

Another good addition to this intriguing tale! It keeps you coming back to see where it goes next. I'll be watching for the next chapter to see where Lucas ends up.

Thanks

Glad you are back

I have always like this series. Lucas is small packaged, interesting. As for the balance beam, brrrr. I would probably break my fool neck on that, especially for the blind moves.

Lu is still as full as integrity as ever. It makes sense that he is struggling. I mean, it is hard for girls who have been doing it regularly to do well in gymnastics, whereas he has a lot of catch up to do.

Kim

I have to say I was excited

I have to say I was excited to see you back. I really like this series and it goes some interesting places. Can't wait for more.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I figure

Mom will be okay with it. After all, what's a little non-conventional costume if your child is going to give Lizzie a run for her money? ;)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Glad to see this back

Angharad's picture

They may not be very big, but Lucas has the balls to get away wearing a dress to the dance. Go go Lucy Lu! Remember manners maketh the man, not clothes.

Angharad

Angharad

Welcome back!

So we've had Lucas' first gymnastics competition - and intriguingly, he's now picked up the ambiguous nickname "Lu". Meanwhile, after attempting to "play it straight" with the outfits for the formal, both Luke and Beth decided to go gender reversed. I expect Luke's mum will ask the cursory "Are you sure?", but given what she's already experienced, will allow it.

This is an interesting tale, a pleasure to read - and if both Luke and Beth turn out to be late bloomers, could continue their blurring of the gender boundaries into high school. There even exists the possibility for Beth to be playing in the high school's American Football team, while Luke cheers (after all, cheering involves a lot of gymnastics)...

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

How lovely

ALISON

'to see you back.I enjoyed the story so much I went and reread "Emerging from the Cocoon" and will reread "Forever Claire" tomorrow.Thank you so much.

ALISON

What would mom say?

She would say you go and have fun, young lady. That is what mom would say. I mean, I don't see any Lucas left in this girl. She is emotional like a girl, she seems to bond well as a girl with other girls, and she takes to being a girl very well. Everybody around her tells her she is a beautiful girl, and only she seems to have doubts. Well, that is not unusal for a young transgendered person. I have seen trans girls try to hold on to what masculinity they thought they still had. But everybody said they were pretty girls, and they weren't being mean either.

This story is one of challenges both in gender and competing in sports. I would love to see our heroine actually come away with a bigger score, and the coach stop calling her the 'margin of error'. So, there is no more Lucas anyway, so why not go full tilt here and let her be herself. It will take a while just to make it realistic, but hey, everybody accepts her anyway, except maybe a few jocks who think they're the greatest thing since Charles Atlas. Thank you for sharing and this chapter has been a long time in coming.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Torey, It has been a while,

Torey,
It has been a while, so it was fun to see another chapter in Luke and Beth's lives posted. Thanks, and 'Lucy Lu' did great, she just needs to understand that she has absolutely nothing to be embarassed about, as she did something not too many other girls can do without a LOT of practice before hand. Balance beams are hard enough with lots of practice. Jan :)

A Perfect Set Up

You've set this up perfectly with Beth and Luke. Can the pull it off. How will people react when they reach High School?

I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

On the Flip Side, Chapter 8

The comment about his/her 'package' could simply be late development or something more.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine