A Summer of Changes - Book 3 Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Denise

Denise receives a text message that causes her to change her plans for the weekend.

A Summer of Changes
by Louise Anne Smithson

Book 3 Chapter 2

An unexpected arrival

Helen’s employees did not make quite so much progress with the photography during the second week, as they did during the first, but they were still able to keep to the schedule. Sue fitted into her new role of photographer well and dealt with the work and her two models in a professional and efficient way which produced excellent results. Yet she found that any one of a number of different factors beyond her control might upset her schedule, and at times both the models found themselves helping with other tasks necessary. Denise, in particular, was often called upon to help prepare the electronic images, and mount the files on the website, whilst Samantha helped Sarah and Mary with the logistical tasks of locating the various outfits ready for the next day, or else replacing them afterwards.

Denise continued to get on well with Samantha, especially at work. She discovered that at home her new friend could be thoughtful and affectionate, but also, on occasions, self-centred and infuriating. She was growing in confidence each day and slightly resented being treated as her friend’s pet summer project. She wanted, if possible, to broaden her circle of friends and not be reliant on Samantha’s company all the time. She realised that she was being gently pushed in the direction of a friendship with John, and had not ruled out the idea, but wanted to make her own decision in her own time. Thus, when she had a call from Alison on the Wednesday, asking whether she would like to go out shopping on the coming Saturday afternoon, she was happy to accept.

John rang twice during the first two days. On each occasion Samantha was within earshot and Denise did not want her flatmate to have a running commentary on any developing friendship; so each time she sent him a busy signal. However, on the second occasion, she took pity on her would-be suitor, and disappeared to the toilet, where she sent him a text message.

Sori 2 bloc yr calls — timing bad! Wed. 9.00pm+ good time for chat ;— D

She was not sure how he would react to her suggestion, but at least she had not given him the brush-off. The date and time were chosen because she knew that Samantha would be out with her university friends once again. As before, Denise had been invited, and even urged, to go along but she declined, preferring to stay home and catch up with her laundry and other chores.

Sure enough, John rang at the suggested time on Wednesday. They had a friendly chat for half an hour or so about their respective jobs, and John’s difficulties about finding somewhere to live in London, whilst he was working out his notice in Birmingham. Denise also explained that there would be times when she would not be able to take a phone call during the day, but that Wednesday evenings would normally be a good time for them to speak.


On the Friday evening, after a second successful week’s work Samantha and Denise were sharing a curry and discussing their plans for the coming weekend when the latter’s mobile phone sounded. Denise looked at the display, frowned and sent a busy signal.

‘That's the third time you've refused a call from my cousin, he won’t wait for ever you know,’ said Samantha.

‘It wasn't from John but my elder sister, Julia. I'll call her back later.’

‘I could always go up to my room if you're likely to be discussing any family secrets,’ said Samantha, clearly curious to learn more.

‘There are no family secrets, but when I speak to her it will have to be as Denis, as she does not know anything about Denise. I promised you that I wouldn't bring Denis into your house,’ she answered.

‘Yes, I see, thank you for remembering,’ said Samantha.

A few minutes later the phone bleeped as a text message came through. Denise read it then sighed.

‘Is there a problem?’ asked Samantha.

‘It's my sister again, she says that she has been offered a job interview on Monday and will be coming up to London on Sunday night to stay for a couple of days. She wants to know whether she can sleep on my bedroom floor. Why does everyone want to come to London so suddenly?’

‘It's where the best job opportunities are, even though the cost of living is higher,’ said Samantha. ‘Where does your sister live?’

‘She rents a flat at Sprowston in Norfolk; it's a suburb of Norwich, not far from my mother’s house.’

‘I wouldn't mind if you had visitors, she could sleep on the settee or even share your double bed, as she's your sister.’

‘You're forgetting that she's expecting to come and stay with her younger brother. I think it may come as a shock for her to discover that he's currently living and working as a woman.’

‘Do you have any other brothers or sisters?’

‘No there's just the two of us. She finished college just over a year ago.’

‘Well my dear, she's going to have to find out about you some time, might it not be best to get it over and done with? You never know, she might even prefer having a younger sister to having a brother.’

Denise smiled at the thought.

‘Yes I suppose you're right. However, even if I'm able to talk Julia round, when she returns home my mother will undoubtedly ask her what I'm doing in London and so it won’t be too long before she finds out as well.’

Samantha shrugged.

Che sera, sera - What will be, shall be’. It's your life; It doesn't belong to your mother or your sister’.

‘Maybe, but I need to consider what will be the best way forward. If you don't mind I will go up to my room and telephone her to find out some more details.’

Half an hour later Denise came down. Samantha looked up from the novel she was reading.

‘So what's happening then?’ asked Samantha.

‘Julia is arriving at 5.00pm on Sunday, and wants me to meet her at Liverpool Street Station as she doesn't know London very well. She's been invited to look round the company offices on Monday afternoon and then she'll have her formal interview on Tuesday morning. She would therefore like to stay with us for two nights, if you don't mind.’

‘Yes of course she can stay, but have you told her about Denise yet?’

Denise sighed and looked anxious.

‘No, not yet. I couldn't think how to introduce the subject into the conversation,’ she answered in a slightly irritated voice. ‘I was too much of a coward, but I promise to do so before I bring her to the flat on Sunday evening.’

Samantha decided to leave the matter in her friend’s hands and did not press her any further on the matter. She changed the subject and they spent the rest of the evening watching television and sharing a bottle of wine.


As previously agreed, Denise and Samantha devoted their Saturday mornings to housework. They worked well together and were finished by lunchtime. Samantha then made a couple of sandwiches for them.

‘Will you be coming home for dinner tonight, or eating with Sue and Alison?’ she asked.

‘I believe Sue is away this weekend, and I'm not sure what Alison is planning to do afterwards. Perhaps it would be better if we agreed to fend for ourselves for dinner tonight,’ she answered.

‘That suits me; I've promised to visit the newlyweds in their new house and will probably be invited to stay for dinner.’

Samantha made a brief call to Jane and then said, ‘I’ll see you later then Denise. Don’t worry if I'm not home until late tonight, in fact if we have something to drink I may even spend the night there, whilst they still have a spare room.’


Denise enjoyed the shopping trip with Alison and helped her to choose a new outfit to wear at work, as well as buying various cosmetics and a new handbag for herself. She always enjoyed Alison’s down-to-earth conversation, and now felt flattered that she should take note of her opinion. In fact Denise was gradually developing a flair for choosing clothes and accessories that went well together, derived from her experiences at work. At about four pm they stopped to have a coffee, and Denise used the opportunity to tell her friend about the proposed visit of her sister the next day.

‘So what are you planning to do when she arrives tomorrow and finds that her little brother has been transformed into an attractive young woman?’ asked Alison.

Denise thought for a moment before answering.

‘I suppose I'll have to tell her the story of the last few weeks. I don't really have any alternative, but I'm not really looking forward to doing so.’

‘It may not be as difficult as you imagine, once she has gotten over the surprise. You look and act so naturally as a girl that she may even have suspected something already,’ said Alison.

Denise blushed.

‘I don’t think so. I'd never dressed as a girl before that weekend in May when I met you.’

‘What do you think will be her reaction when she meets you?’

‘I don’t know; we've never been particularly close, she had her own friends,’ answered Denise shrugging.

‘And you?’

‘I had my own acquaintances’, answered Denise sadly.

‘Well the next couple of days might be a good opportunity for you both to get to know one another better,’ said Alison, wanting to lighten the tone of the conversation.

‘Maybe, but I'm also concerned about what she's going to say to my mum afterwards.’

‘You never know, she could be a useful ally to you in the future.’

‘That is what Samantha said. But do you think I should ring her to warn her about Denise before she arrives?’

‘I don’t think so,’ answered Alison, after some thought. ‘Let her see how good you look first and then do all your explaining.’

‘What should I wear when I go to meet her?’

‘That's a typical girl’s reaction to any stressful situation,’ said Alison laughing.

Denise blushed.

‘You need to look feminine and smart at the same time, but not too girly or glamorous. You don't want to overshadow her. What is she likely to be wearing when you meet tomorrow?’

‘I'm not sure, Julia does wear dresses, but I guess she'll probably travel up to London in trousers tomorrow.’

‘It might be a good idea for you wear trousers as well, but make sure everything else about your appearance is appropriately feminine.’

‘I only have a pair of jeans, although I have been thinking about buying myself some nice trousers sometime,’ she answered.

‘In that case why don’t we get you a suitable pair now?’ suggested Alison. ‘We can then go back to your flat and choose the rest of your outfit together. When we've done that, you can bring your clothes round to my flat and stay the night. We can work out together how you'll deal with the situation. I'll also be able to ensure that you're suitably attired when you go to meet her tomorrow and that you don't run away and hide at the last minute.’

‘Won’t that get in the way of your own plans for the rest of the weekend, Alison?’

‘I don't have any particular plans since my boyfriend’s working and my flatmate’s visiting her parents.’

‘Alright then, thank you for your offer’ said Denise.


The following afternoon Denise and Alison were waiting at Liverpool Street as Julia’s train pulled in to the platform. Julia had earlier sent a text message to confirm the train she was on, and a reply had been sent to say that she would be met at the station. Denise was wearing a light blue trouser suit over a white silk camisole top which they had bought the previous afternoon. The top was sufficiently low cut to show a hint of her cleavage, which was complemented a gold locket loaned to her by Alison, and a discrete pair of earrings together with the studs. She wore a pair of white medium heeled sling back shoes with a matching shoulder bag. Her long hair was lying loose on her shoulders. Alison had also inspected her makeup and pronounced it to be just right — neither too much nor too little.

‘Now remember the role playing that we practised last night,’ said Alison.

‘I'll do my best’ answered her friend nervously.

‘I'll stay with you until you catch sight of her coming down the platform and then move a few feet away, as if I were a stranger. If all seems to be going well between the two of you, I'll leave you to get on with it, but if she faints, has hysterics on the concourse, or tries to call the police, I'll come over and lend you a hand.’

Denise smiled.

‘I don’t think that's very likely, but thanks for all the help and your moral support this weekend, Alison.’

The passengers started to alight from the train.

‘Are you sure that I look alright?’ asked Denise nervously.

It was now Alison’s turn to smile.

‘You know perfectly well that you look great in that outfit.’

‘Alright then, I can see Julia making her way down the platform, that's her with the weekend bag and pulling the small red suitcase.’

Julia seemed to be about twenty-three years old; she was slim, casually dressed in jeans and a leather jacket, and with long brown hair.

‘She looks nice. I'm sure she'll appreciate how you look once she gets over the surprise,’ commented Alison. ‘Now good luck and remember you've nothing to be ashamed of or to apologise for. If you're able to do so, please ring me later to let me know how you get on.’

‘Yes of course, and thanks again for everything.’

Alison squeezed her friend’s hand discreetly and went and stood a few yards away.

Julia walked through the gate of the platform and on to the concourse, and looked around for her brother, in the place where he said he would be waiting. She could see no sign of him. By now most of the passengers alighting from her train had left, and those who would soon join it were in the centre of the concourse waiting to be called. There were only a few individuals scattered around where she was standing. She didn't​ notice a rather nervous looking, but quite attractive young woman in a blue suit walk towards her, until she actually spoke.

‘Hello Julia, I am Denise and have come to meet you.’

There seemed to be something familiar about the girl, especially her voice, but for a moment Julia could not place it.

‘I was expecting to meet my brother, where is he?’ she asked in a puzzled voice.

‘I am afraid Denis isn't going to be around for a few weeks, but I'll be taking his place,’ said Denise, blushing slightly.

‘I don’t understand, I spoke to him on the phone yesterday, and he sent me a text message just over an hour ago,’ she said anxiously.

‘So you still don't recognise me then?’ asked Denise smiling weakly.

‘I recognise your voice, but I cannot place ….’ she paused for a moment before continuing. ‘Denis is it you?’ she asked incredulously.

Denise did her best to remain calm, quickly checking to make sure that there were not any people overhearing their conversation.

‘No, it's Denise when I am dressed like this and Denis at other times,’ she answered.

Julia looked flabbergasted.

‘But what are you doing dressed as a woman, Denis?’ asked Julia, clearly still in a state of shock.

Denise didn't find it too hard to take control of the situation.

‘Let's go somewhere quiet and get ourselves a cup of coffee and I'll explain to you everything, but you must first promise to address me as Denise otherwise it will get really embarrassing for us both,’ she said firmly.

‘Alright then,’ answered Julia, meekly.

Denise offered to carry her weekend bag, but let her sister continue with the wheeled suit case. As she did so, she caught sight of Alison smile at her and then turn and walk towards the exit of the station.

(Next time Julia has to come to terms with having a new sister.)

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Summer of Changes - Book 3 Chapter 2

Will be interesting to see how things work out for Denise.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Unintended consequences

What can you do?

Of course Samantha is as inflexible as ever. God forbid she could have suggested that Denise be Denis for the short duration of the visit but, no, it probably never occurred to her since she could not stand being around that Denis person.

Oh the horrors /sarcasm.

Personally I am still uncomfortable of where Denise is taking him/herself but it's his/her life.

So I still do not get where some readers thinking that Samantha is such a wonderful friend.

Kim

Thats Me!

I guess it's a matter of opinion.

You have yours, but I respect it!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

family relationships

Well this is one of those times, where you just have to bite one of those bullits & see where in heck you fall, it could be a reality wakeup call or a disaster in making, but HAS TO Be DONE so you know where you stand. Her sister didnt run off @ 1st sight, so that's a good thing.

---for all of us samantha dislikers, this opens up a possibility for Denise to find something with her sister, & cut samantha out. I think samantha reminds me too much of Maddy in the gabby series..hmm.. more like debbie in the tucker series, a bit too pushy for her own good, but deep down a good person, that doesnt see all the perspectives to an outed tg person and that's when consequences occur.

Still I believe it's time for denise to see her sister & later on MOM if she gains sister stamp of approval and that's likely if story flows doesnt abrubtly change

Guess We'll See...

...how it goes, but Denise and her sister seem to have gotten through the initial encounter well enough.

I appreciated the more detailed description of Denise's take on Samantha in the second paragraph above. Hopefully that'll shut down (or at least refine) a lot of the "good friend"-vs.-"shameless manipulator" colloquy about Samantha that's been happening here in the comment section. Based on the new data, I'm hoping that Denise does succeed in reducing Samantha's role in her life, especially if things work out with Julia.

Eric

Revelations

Hopefully Denise will reveal her true self to both Julia and herself. I wonder how long Samantha's and Denise's relationship will last. This is an enjoyable story and it is fun to see the growth of Denise.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

Perhaps...

If Denise and her sister get on well, then if Julia can find somewhere to rent, Denise can spend part of the time at Julia's place. After all, Julia's unlikely to try and intrude on her sibling's private life, and could suggest some more androgynous looks so her sibling can at least emulate 'male mode' during the project. The two could probably also have an open and honest conversation about colleagues attitudes etc. and comparing male / female personas without worrying about what's said being spread around the office.

Julia could probably also allow Denise to acclimatise and develop a social life of her own, without feeling it's being guided in any particular direction. And if at the end of the project, Denise decided to return to being Denis, it would be possible. Heck, if they bought a short-haired (male) wig, then on occasional weekends Denis could come out without needing to remove the hair extensions. Besides which, on most other stories I've read involving prosthetic, glued-on breasts, it's recommended they're removed for a day or so every few weeks.

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Glue on breasts - bleah

Glue on breasts are the grist for the mill of many a TG fiction writer. Yes, they are convenient for not requiring a bra. However, the reality is that they really need to, at a minimum, be cleaned pretty often if you are exercising a lot. Doing so tends to loosen them and also force the injection of sweat underneath the forms and that is NOT good for the skin. This is from personal experience with early versions of said glue-ons. The sweat on the skin would lead to what looks like bed sores on your chest if the forms move a lot while doing severe exercise, which can lead to the forms rubbing against skin softened by sweat build up.

Kim

I found this completely hilarious!

'Samantha shrugged.

‘Che sera, sera - What will be, shall be’. It's your life; It doesn't belong to your mother or your sister’.'

The perfect reply to that: if it is my life you may consider easing up on the reigns yourself.

Now that girl alison seems to be her true to form friend.

Julia just had a jolt, didn't she ?

Seems kimmie has a problem with this story. Denise is the only one here, by her own intention. She is loving every minute of it. Alison is not forcing Denise to do anything either.
I would like to have been a fly on the wall when Julia realized Denise was her brother/sister. Priceless !
Alison is a great friend to Denise.

Cefin