But Just Not Me

Printer-friendly version

But Just Not Me!

Dear Mr. God, listen, you,
Never tell me dreams come true,
Just try it, and I'll start to cry.
Mr. President don't you dare,
Ever tell me someone might care,
My heart is broken over words unspoken.

Don't want to hear from any well meaning folks,
Who tell me love will find a way; it's all a big joke.

They're letting some folks wed, but just not me,
An exercise of love, but not for me,
Having almost no hope it's true,
I find my prospects growing blue,
Since nobody I know could guarantee.

I was a fool to think we'd find a way,
Our hearts grow sad and dim most every day
Although I hope things change,
I've no pow'r to arrange,
I guess she's not for me that way?

We had such hope back then but now that's through,
A promise once but then not me and you,
We're sad while waiting now,
For our own marriage vow,
Maybe someday our dream will come true?

 


Based on But Not For Me
Words and Music by
Ira and George Gershwin
Performed by Linda Ronstadt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZEW6d3Ka4M


up
44 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Maybe 'someday over the rainbow?'

You pulled at the heart as if it were a G-string harp playing a tune that only those of us 'special' enough are fated to know. Your words peal as clearly as the best of brass bells resonanting endlessly into the void of hu(wo)manity. In other words...I love what you've 'said'!!!

Truly,

One of the Faceless Masses

Maybe...'someday over the rainbow'?

Your words resonate as clearly as the pealing of the finest brass bells and the sound flows out into the void of hu(wo)manity only to fall upon deaf ears. In other words...I love what you've done!!!

Truly,

a faceless member of the masses

A little mermaid reflects on the evolution of human society

laika's picture

Dear Sad Looking Girl In The Picture:
Hi, my name is Enomena. I used to be a boy named Stuart Donnely but got turned into a mermaid.
Your sad poem reminded me a lot of something I was writing in my kelp scroll diary just the other day.
about how sometimes it seems hopeless how humans can treat those who are different but it really isn't.
What I wrote had to do with how I missed my human parents and wished I could go back home but my adopted mermaid mom
says I never could because humans were all a bunch of mean stupid barbarians and would never accept me. Anyway this is what it said:

.

If it was only up to me I might risk swimming into some bay and yelling “Hey everybody look at me, I’m a MERMAID!” and getting someone to call my parents to come get me.

The Mermaid Queen seems to think that doing this would be about the closest thing there is to suicide. That around people I would be nothing better than a freak, that they would throw me in a cage or dissect me or do whatever else their evil hearts desired, without any thoughts about what I wanted at all. She figures she knows everything there is to know about the “crawlers”, even though she’d come up with all this without ever having met or talked to one before me. And that’s about as close to a definition of prejudice as I can think of.

I figured I knew a lot more about humans than her, having lived among them for my whole life. And while I couldn’t deny there would be people who would feel no qualms about doing stuff like that to me (heck, those pirates had been ready to treat me like that when I was still just as human as them…) I also knew there were a lot of good people in the world too.

Plus I knew a few things about being what some folks would call a freak, from that whole being-a-girl-in-a-boy’s-body business, and the mean stupid things some people said and did about the fact of there being transgendered people like me, because of what we did to their sense of how things are meant to be about men and women, all neat and tidy and we came along and wrecked that for them. And it was scary to think that probably more people than not had this prejudice.

But you had to be pretty paranoid to not be able to see that society was moving toward people having rights and being taken seriously. If you looked that horrible thing that happened to you or somebody you heard about last week you might not see it, but if you take the long view you can. A hundred years ago women weren’t considered really citizens. And two hundred years ago African and Native Americans weren’t considered really people. It helps to look at the two-steps-forward and not those one-steps-back that also happen. To look at how incredibly cool my friend Douggie was to me when I came out to him just before we left on vacation, and not how grossed out and weird Mike and then Suzy got about it. A hundred years from now they’re going to look totally stupid and backwards, and Douggie will seem like somebody who knew what was actually what…

Queen Atlantea kept going back to what people used to do to the mermaids they caught, and how PT Barnum put the pickled remains of one on display for people to gawk at, but that was what- a century and a half ago? It really seemed to me like people wouldn’t be so quick to do that now. And if somebody tried, then if the ACLU or Amnesty International or somebody didn’t come to my rescue, then PETA would…
.

And then I wrote a bunch of other stuff but after this it kind of gets off the topic of how you feel in your poem.
Maybe I'm just a kid who is half-fish but I really believe what I wrote. So please don't give up having hope for people
and that someday things might be better for you.
~~~best fishes, Princess Enomena

.

[Yes that's a sneak peek at the next chapter of OFF THE DEEP END, something I just wrote this morning
but I'll probably shorten this passage in the interest of my fantasy adventure story's pace. ~~Laika]

One Step Back, Laika?

When did our country ever take a step backward? Obviously you didn't read your history text carefully. Every time the good 'ol U.S. of A. has made a move it has benefited EVERYONE. Some day history will show how kind our military has been to neither ask nor tell. Some day history will show that our policies regarding the acquisition of oil were positive and rewarding for the world because it allowed us to dominate when the world needed our firm but fair leadership.

Some day, when I'm awfully low,
When the world is cold,
I will feel a glow . . .
Just thinking of you.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

TWO DELIGHTS

ALISON
'together?? Each one complimenting the other, from two beautiful people.

ALISON

I'm not sure whether this

I'm not sure whether this parody-poem makes me sad or angry, or maybe both. We could substitute almost any social issue and have the same questions be asked. It reminds me a bit of being on a trip and almost, but not quite, being there. As hard as I might want it and wish it, 'it's' always someone else's decision. Whether I like or dislike what you write...I ALWAYS love it! :)

Your Lil' Brat

so sad

it made me cry. I pray that you can have your dreams come true.

DogSig.png

Uhhh...heh heh...heh heh...uhhh...

Rights are easy to get in comparison to keeping them. Just look how many times Boston and Frisco have had same sex on again off again marriage licenses. Or howzabout the born again dudes who have gay lovers? I mean...I'm waiting for the day that one of the Bushes comes out of the closet...sober!!! We need to get real...angry and pissed off!!! Anyway, I really like the parody. Anyway...I thought a G-string was something that you wear instead of a bikini cut panty, ya know? I don't often babble but sometimes I do blither a bit. I thinks it's all the EMP's in the air, ya know? And WHAT ABOUT BOB???!!!

But Just Not Me

A beautiful, poignant verse that speaks volumes.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine