A Strange Attraction to Concrete Cows - Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version


A Strange Attraction to Concrete Cows

by Karen Page
Edited by Angel O'Hare

Chapter 10 - The End

The bus had come to an unscheduled stop and for the last hour hadn't moved. The sight of static traffic ahead didn't bring any comfort. Somebody three seats in front had telephoned a friend and it appears there was an accident just before the motorway junction. For the hundredth time I looked at my watch. In twenty minutes Mum would be home. Even if all the traffic disappeared it would take the bus ten to fifteen minutes to drop me off. Then another ten minutes to walk home. As I stared blankly at the non-moving traffic, I was looking at visions of my own impending death.

"Are you okay miss?" asked the elderly gentleman sat next to me. "You look white as a sheet."

"I'm fine thanks," I responded trying to keep from throwing up.

I looked away into the brown frozen fields on my left. Whatever crop the farmer had planted obviously hadn't started to show growth yet. I looked down at the bottom of my dress and legs covered with tights.

"Perhaps Mum might accept this as part of a joke," I thought to myself. That idea quickly vanished as I remembered what was in my bags; a skirt, a pair of ladies jeans, two tops, socks, tights and five pairs of panties.

The engine of the bus spluttered to life and started to slowly inch forward. "Perhaps Mum is running late," I thought. I might get away with it. Unfortunately, my hopes were dashed as we travelled no more than half a mile before we again shuddered to a halt.

The days since Anna left have been hell. When I got home after Anna left I went to my room and broke down. Since then I hadn't stepped out of the house. I couldn't even bring myself to attend church last Sunday. The only things that temporarily brightened my days were calls from Anna. Today, Tuesday the 4th January, was the day my Mum had gone back to work, the first day I'd left the house since Anna left and also the first day I'd dressed as a girl without help. This certainly would be a day to remember.

Mum was a firm but fair mother. She was extremely kind but if she was upset with you then the whole house would tremble with fear and trepidation. I tried to think when Mum was last angry and the only thing I could think of was with Dad. A few days later he'd moved to Milton Keynes. I doubt it could have been anything as serious as being caught dressed in women's clothing so I was certainly expecting the worst.

Over the next thirty minutes we occasionally inched forward until we were insight of the junction. A lorry had jackknifed and was blocking part of the roundabout. The police where directing traffic letting different junctions take turns to use the roundabout and go either way to avoid the lorry.

Eventually it was our turn. Our normal route, going clockwise, was blocked by the lorry so we had to swing right and go the wrong way round. Once past the junction the road was clear and we made our way towards my doom.

Mum was never late home so unless something had gone wrong with her car I didn't stand a chance. I thought about ringing home but didn't want to explain my lateness when I was so stressed out. I pondered on the situation and eventually dialled Beth's mobile.

"Hi Beth," I said, "It's your little sis here."

"WHAT!?" explained a shocked Beth. "Let me take this upstairs."

About fifteen seconds later an out of breath Beth said, "Right I'm away from listening ears. Now please don't say you're out as Jill."

"'Fraid so," I replied. "There was an accident on the way back and the bus is running about two hours late. I take it Mum is home."

"Oh yeah she's home. She is also upset about something that went wrong at work."

"Just my luck," I replied. "I take it there's no chance of you tying her to one of the kitchen chairs is there?"

Beth just giggled, "No. You seem to be taking your impending doom rather well."

"Well what other way is there? She was bound to find out one day. I'd just hoped it was when I was older."

The bus stopped to let me off and I trudged up the hill towards home. As I approached the house I noticed that the outside light was on. I crossed my fingers and hoped that as I opened the front door my Mum wouldn't hear me. I slowly turned the knob and opened the door. The aroma of a nicely cooked meal filtered up my nostrils.

"Ah your home," said Mum opening the kitchen door.

I stood there watching Mums reaction as she saw me.

"The meal will be ready in about half an hour," she said her face not giving anything away. Her eyes had been darting all over me, examining how I presented myself. "Go on into the lounge," she continued. "It looks like we need to have a chat."

Mum walked back into the kitchen and I just stood there stunned. I looked up and saw Beth watching from the top of the stairs. I was unsure why Mum appeared to be so calm and not screaming, it didn't make much sense. Beth seemed to understand my perplexity and she just shrug her shoulders indicating she didn't understand either.

Mum walked back out of the kitchen and said, "Beth, why don't you come down from the top of the stairs and join us." She again retreated back into the kitchen.

Beth came down the stairs and said, "How did she know I was there?"

"No idea," I replied. "However, I think we better go into the lounge before we get into trouble for not obeying Mum."

Mum came in carrying a tray with three wine glasses, three tumblers and a huge jug of freshly squeezed orange. She set it down on the coffee table and disappeared into the kitchen, returning this time with an open bottle of red wine.

"I know you only drink wine occasionally with a meal. However, you look very tense and worried so I thought this might calm you down a bit," explained Mum as she passed me a glass of the Californian wine.

"First things first," she started when she settled down in her chair. "What do you call yourself when your en femme?"

"Huh?" I stated still in Jill's voice and took a sip of wine. Then I saw Mums face frown. Ooops. "Sorry. I don't understand. What do you mean en femme?"

"What do you call yourself when you're dressed as a girl?"

This I could answer. "Jill," I replied. I then took a slightly larger sip of wine hoping the effects might deaden to sound of Mum impending verbal diatribe.

"I know Beth left early this morning," Mum said. "So I know you dressed yourself and appear to have done a fair job with your makeup. It looks like you learnt quite a lot playing Widow Twanky in the pantomime. Besides today how many times have you been out as Jill?"

"Only twice," I responded unsure of where Mum's questioning was leading. Mum didn't appear upset and I couldn't think why. I decided that for the moment I'd be better off not asking as it might set her off. She seemed deep in thought and I wondered what was going through her mind.

"Mmm," was her only utterance as she occasionally took a sip of wine.

"I take it one of the times was when you got up early to go shopping with Anna and Erika when their parents were house hunting. That night Beth said she hadn't seen Bill. I take it she did see Jill?"

"That was the first time out," I confessed. "Beth didn't have anything to do with it she just caught me."

Beth who had been on the orange juice decided the red wine might be a better bet, grabbed the last glass from the coffee table and poured herself a large glass full.

"Would you two stop worrying," said Mum putting her half drunk glass of wine down. "I'm not going to rip you to pieces. I just want to understand things. Now when was the other time?"

"The Wednesday before Christmas I went out with just Anna," I responded only slightly calmer.

"Interesting," responded Mum. "That was after you started officially seeing each other. How did she cope with you being Jill?"

I was shocked at how perceptive my Mum was. How did she know? If I didn't know better I would say that she knew somebody that had been through this situation before.

"Haven't you learnt yet that Mothers are all knowing?" she quipped seeing my face.

I gave a slight giggle at that which got another response from Mum, "That's sounds a lot better coming from Jill than Bill. If you're going to keep up the two roles then you need to work a lot harder at separating them. Boys don't giggle in that way but I've noticed that as Bill you've been doing so. Just be careful or people might either suspect or beat you up."

Wow, hang on there. Did Mum just accept Jill? I leaned across and whispered to Beth, "What have you done with our real Mum?"

Beth just sniggered and whispered back, "Search me but keep going; you're doing well."

Mum just looked at me as if she was waiting for me to say something. Oh yeah, she wanted to know about Anna's reaction. "At first she didn't know how to treat me and I was very worried. By the time we got to Wolverhampton I was very upset as we were hardly communicating. We had a quick chat to clear the air but things weren't the same. Later we bumped into Beth who took Anna away for a quick chat. After that things were better."

"So Beth what did you say to Anna? You didn't threaten her did you?" asked Mum

"Of course I didn't threaten her," said Beth sounding indignant. "Basically our chat was about who she loved and what she loved about them. She was seeing Jill as a separate person than Bill. I just reminded her that they were the same person."

"Is that it?" I asked as they were gone for nearly twenty minutes.

"Not quite. She was also concerned about how things would look being romantic with what appeared to be another girl. She knows a lesbian who came out a few years ago in a different area, some people took offence, and somebody physically hurt her."

"But that wouldn't happen here."

"You want a bet? Remember the strange assembly in early October about acceptance of gays? Well Jason Scanlon in my class came out as gay. About a dozen people got together and were going to lynch him. Fortunately the teachers heard and the gang were warned that if anything happened to him they would all be suspended and the police involved."

"No wonder she didn't want to hold my hand. After your chat she treated me like a very close sister. When we were on the bus she treated me like she treats Bill."

"She has one last concern which I think she still worries about but it is private," said Beth looking at Mum.

"I'll go and check on the meal," said Mum walking out the door.

I was getting thirsty so poured myself a glass of orange and at the same time topped up Beth's. "So?" I prompted her.

"Well," said Beth quietly, "She still worries that you're going to want to have a sex-change."

"She's still on about that?" I ranted my voice loosing its quietness. "We've talked about that a lot and she still worries."

"Shush," she hissed. "You know she's always fantasised about having children."

"I've told her many times that I might have to live as Jill but my defective body doesn't affect my ability to father children. I like having my penis and wouldn't want that to change. Though I think I'm too young to father a child yet."

"You'd better not or Mum will kill you. Then she'd pass the body to the Scott's for them to roast," she said giggling.

Mum came back in, "You two finished? Then let's eat and we can continue to discuss this afterwards. I don't want you stressed out during the meal so I insist on is that this doesn't get discussed till afterwards."

I just snorted. I didn't mean it to come out but it did. "Sorry but I don't see how I can stop worrying as I don't know what punishment your going to give me."

Mum sighed and said, "Have I ever said that dressing in women's clothes is against any rules?"

"No," I answered hesitantly.

"Then how can I punish you for it? In fact we only discussed a few weeks ago how I'd been giving you girls trousers for some time as they fit you better."

"So why so many questions?" asked Beth.

"I just want to know the situation," Mum explained, "If Bill wants to dress as Jill then that his choice but if he does then he must do it safely. Are you happier now?"

Beth and I nodded and we had a rather nice meal. I was still dressed as Jill and Mum didn't appear to mind. Beth chatted away and bizarrely this was one of the best meals I'd eaten since Anna had gone.

After Beth and I had washed up and cleaned the table we joined Mum in the lounge. For once there was no music on and she looked like she expected the earlier conversation to continue.

"Do you mind if I ask some more questions?" Mum asked.

"No," I answered warily as I still had some lingering worries. Mum was always truthful about things and if she didn't want to answer something she wouldn't lie but tell us straight that she wouldn't answer.

"Do you want to be a girl? Do you want to have a sex-change?"

I sighed, "No Mum I don't want to have a sex change. I have a dodgy body that has a female shape and female clothes fit better. I asked Anna and Erika for help as they were leaving and I needed somebody to teach me things I might need if my body got more feminine. I just didn't expect to like it as much as I do."

"So would you like to keep your male equipment but live as a woman?"

"I'm not sure," I confessed. "I've only been out three times."

"Well you seem to be thinking about things," commented Mum.

"Why are you so okay with this?" I asked. "I was expecting you to be upset."

"All I want is you to be happy", she replied.

"It's not just that, is it?" asked Beth who had been thinking hard for the last few minutes. "You know too much about this. You know somebody who's lived as the opposite sex or had a sex-change?"

"Yes," Mum confessed, "I know a transsexual but please don't ask who as I won't say."

Beth slipped back into deep thought. You could almost here the cogs turning. If she kept this up I'm sure I'd start to see smoke coming from her ears.

"So what did you buy?" Mum asked.

I got the bag and handed it too her. When she finished going through it she said, "You've been taught well as these are the type of things any girl you age would get. Some people starting off would get inappropriate items which would make them stand out. You appear to not have fallen into that trap."

A look of satisfaction suddenly erupted over Beth's face. If this was a cartoon she would have a light bulb flashing over her head. "Julia is a transsexual isn't she?"

"I already told you I'm not going to tell you," said Mum showing no emotion to give away if Beth's guess was correct.

Beth ignored Mum's refusal and continued, "Dad told you about Julia and you couldn't cope with a transsexual in the family. Since Julia lives in Milton Keynes why doesn't Dad come back home? Julia's the transsexual not Dad."

"Beth," warned Mum. "I asked you not to ask about what I know. Dad also has asked you not to ask about what was going on."

Just then the telephone rang which Mum answered. "Hi love," she said. It must be Dad.

She listened to what he was saying and then she asked, "When are you back? Okay, I'll tell the children. Love you too."

Mum hung up the phone. "Dad's going away for a few days. He won't be back till next Wednesday. He'll still try to ring sometime this weekend but he might have chance. If not it will be next Wednesday."

That dampened our moods as our calls with Dad were something we both looked forward to.

***

When I came down the stairs Mum was already eating her bowl of cereal. I walked up to her and giving her a hug said, "Thanks for being so supportive."

"My pleasure," she said returning the hug. "But I think you should be using Bill's voice when you're dressed like that."

Ooops. I'd forgotten to switch back. "Is this better?" I asked in Bill's voice.

I settled down to my breakfast and soon Beth walked in. She wasn't in such a hurry as she had a doctor's appointment at ten, which Mum was taking her to.

"I'm sorry I tried to wheedle information out of you," she apologised.

"That's okay," said Mum giving her daughter a kiss on her cheek. "Just remember the rules next time. They're there to protect you."

Soon I was on the way to school. For the first time in years I was making the journey on my own. When I got to the school door I noticed that I'd made the journey in record time. Strange, I must walk quicker without the girls.

As the crowds began to gather I made my way to the library. I would have gone to the music practice rooms but I knew they wouldn't be open yet. As expected the library was deserted so I thought I would attempt to find information about last nights discussion. Mum had referred to Transsexuals so I thought I would try and find some information. I searched but the only two references I could find were a short entry in the encyclopaedia and an even shorter entry in the dictionary. Perhaps the school didn't think it was a topic that children should know about.

When the bell for morning registration rang I made my way to the classroom. I took my normal seat next to the two empty ones that previously were occupied by Anna and Erika. As the teacher opened the class register I noticed two red lines crossed through their names. As far as the school was concerned, they were no more.

I sat quietly in the room as people chatted away about what happened during the Christmas break. This was not a conversation that I wanted to get into. Thinking about the departure of Anna just tore into my heart. The only person I was glad not to see in the class was Tom. I hopped that he'd been moved into another class but I knew people were never moved like that.

At just before eleven the school secretary, Miss Walker, came into the classroom and had a quiet whisper with the teacher.

"Bill can you please go with Miss Walker," asked the teacher.

As it was towards the end of the lesson I packed my bag and followed her.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked her.

"The headmaster asked to see you urgently," was the only information she would give.

When I got to the headmasters office instead of being asked to wait I was shown straight in. As I went in Mrs Harries who had been steaming down the corridor behind me was also told to go straight in.

Inside Mr Yates cramped and cluttered office sat two police officers. I began to panic. Had somebody got the police involved about Tom? Surely not as it was just a prank; it wasn't anything to involve the police with.

Mrs Harries also looked worried and looked questioningly at me. I just shrugged. I had no idea what was happening.

When we were seated one of the policeman said, "I'm PC Harry Ralph and this is PC Wendy Humphreys. Can you please confirm that your Paula Harries and Bill Toms?"

Mrs Harries and I both confirmed our identities.

"I've got some very sad news for both of you. This morning at approximately quarter to ten there was a road traffic accident involving two vehicles. The first car was driven by Mr Peter Harries and had Tom Harries as a passenger. The other car was driven by Mrs Carol Toms and had Beth Toms as a passenger."

"How are they?" asked a stunned Mrs Harries.

"You husband suffered only minor cuts and was treated on scene. Your son however is being transferred to Birmingham Children's Hospital due to extensive injuries to his lower body."

"And my Mum and sister?" I prompted the policeman.

"They have both been taken to New Cross hospital. They are both in surgery."

"How did the accident happen?"

"Witness reports are still being collated. However your husband, when breathalysed, was found to be four times over the legal limit. Initial indications are that he swerved in front of Mrs Toms car causing a collision."

"What will happen to him?" Mrs Harries asked.

"He has had his cuts dealt with and has been arrested. He is currently at Cannock police station."

"Good," she said. "I hope he rots there." She then turned to Mr Yates, "Is it okay if I have an emergency leave of absence so I can be with my son?"

"Of course," he answered. The turning to me he said, "Would you like me to take you to the hospital?"

"Thanks," I replied.

Mr Yates then picked up the phone on his desk and dialled his secretary. "Rachel, can you please bring in Bill Toms emergency contact detail."

Miss Walker came into the room with a single A4 piece of paper and handed it to her boss before leaving the room again

"Strange," he said looking at the sheet. "I don't have a contact number for your Dad just somebody called Julia."

"My Dad is away for a week," I said as last nights conversation filtered back into my brain. "Can I use the phone to call his office? They will know how to contact him."

Mr Yates just turned the phone round and said, "Dial 9 for an outside line."

I fished into my pocket and pulled out my diary. In it I had Planetwides number. "Hello," I said to the receptionist. "Can you put me through to Mr Scott, head of personnel?"

I was on hold for a few seconds. As I waited the policeman's radio crackled into life and he went outside. When it was answered I heard, "Mr Scott's office, Melanie speaking."

"Hi Melanie, can I speak with Mr Scott."

"I'm sorry but Mr Scott is currently in a meeting. I'm Mr Scott's secretary, can I help you?"

"No. This is an emergency, can you interrupt the meeting? My name is Bill Toms. My Dad works for Planetwide and his wife has just been involved in a serious road accident."

"I'll see what I can do, please hold."

While I waited the policeman came back. I've an update for you both. First you Bill, your sister is out of surgery and is expected to be fine. Your mother, however, is not looking as good and the doctors really need you and your Dad to visit."

He then turned to Mrs Harries, "Your son has finished being assessed and the hospital needs to speak with you regarding treatment."

I felt numb as I waited on the end of the phone. I was too shocked to cry and my heart was beating like a piston. Eventually I hear, "Hi Bill, Melanie says that your Mum's been in an accident."

"Both Mum and Beth were involved. Beth's going to be okay but the hospital says Mum isn't looking too good and has asked that Dad come urgently. Dad rang last night and said he was going to be away for a week. Do you have contact details?"

"I don't but I know who will," said Mr Scott all professional. "Are they at New Cross hospital in Wolverhampton?"

"Yes. Though I'm not sure what ward."

"Just turn on your mobile and I will get your Dad to ring you."

"Thanks," I said putting down the phone.

I looked up at Mr Yates, "Can we go now," I asked in a slightly trembling voice as I started to loose control of my emotions.

"Is there anything else?" he asked the police.

"No," they replied standing up. "We'll be on our way"

As we left the office we saw Mrs Harries coming out of the Deputy Heads office. "How's Tom?" he asked her.

"Not good. He has fractured legs and pelvis, a ruptured spleen, and it looks like part of his penis was severed."

I cringed at the thought of damage to my penis. "Are they going to have to make him a girl?" I asked.

Mr Harries shuddered when I made that insensitive comment, "I thing they're going to try and perform some plastic surgery to try and repair it. Though they say it's too early to tell how successful that will be."

Mrs Harries rushed to her car and with a squeal of tyres disappeared at speed into the distance.

During the journey to the hospital my mobile went off. I squinted through my blurry eyes at the display and it said DAD. "Oh Dad" I said as I answered the phone. I lost control of my emotions and burst into tears.

"George has just told me what has happened. I'm on the way to the airport and will be on a flight in about an hour. I should be at the hospital in about three hours. I've just got to the airport now and once checked in will ring the hospital. Hang on."

I hear the taxi driver say, 'That'll be twelve pounds fifty.'

Dad responded with, 'Keep the change.'

I then think I heard the taxi driver say 'Thanks love.' But it got muffled with the slam of a door.

"You won't be able to have your mobile on in the hospital so just hold tight. I'm on my way."

"But I thought you didn't want us to see you before we'd both left school."

"Or the circumstances changed. I think this is definitely a change in circumstances."

When we pulled into the hospital car park it was full. However, we were lucky as somebody was just leaving so within five minutes we were parked; paid the parking fee and were on the way to Accident and Emergency.

When we entered Accident and Emergency the waiting area was packed. A sign stated that the current waiting time was four hours. When the person before us had finished at reception we walked forward, "I believe a Carol and Beth Toms were brought in after a road accident. This is Carol's son. I'm his head teacher."

"Let me see," she said consulting her computer screen. "Ah yes. Beth is currently in ICU and Carol is in surgical recovery."

"Can you tell me how to get to surgical recovery?"

Armed with required directions we went in search of my Mum.

At the wards reception we again asked about my Mum. "Your Mum isn't very well," explained the nurse. "Let me get the doctor who will explain."

We sat down in a pair of stiff plastic chairs. When the doctor turned up our bottoms were beginning to feel sore.

"Hi, I'm Dr Patel. I take it your Bill Toms. However you are?" he asked looking at Mr Yates.

"I'm Keith Yates. I'm the headmaster where Bill goes to school."

"Ah," he said and then turned to me. "I've spoken with your father just after he last spoke with you and he is fully informed of your mother's condition. He said that when you arrived you were told to be fully apprised to the situation. However, due to client patient confidentiality, I'm not allowed to tell Mr Yates. If you come with me Bill I'll bring you up to speed. A nurse, Stacey Hill, will be there to make sure your okay."

"I'll see you later," I said to Mr Yates as I followed the doctor. I expected to go to an office but instead we went into a nice room with nicely padded easy chairs. There was a two seater settee which a nurse, who I suppose was Stacey, was sat. She looked like she was in her late twenties and had her brunet hair tied back into a high pony tail. Stacey indicated I should sit next to her and the doctor sat opposite.

"Let's start with your sister, Beth. She had minor surgery to repair a broken arm. She sustained a head injury which has resulted in a short term coma. We don't know how long the coma will last but we fully expect her to make a full recovery. Your mother however was very seriously injured as she took the full impact of the crash. I won't list all her injuries but they are too extensive to repair. There's no easy way to say this but she isn't expected to last more than another five or six hours."

At that point my emotions which had just settled down again fully bloomed and I became an emotional wreck. Stacey was there for me and kindly comforted me till I regained a little composure.

"Would you like to be with her?" he asked. "Before you answer please be aware that she is on two drips and has a monitor checking her vital signs. Therefore the room might look a little clinical."

"I want to be with her till the end," I said wiping the last remaining tears from my eyes. "Will it be okay if Mr Yates goes back to school? I promise to behave even though my Dad isn't here."

"I'll often be in the room checking on his mother," said Stacey backing me up with the doctor.

"Okay," he said relenting, "but don't tell anyone or I'll get it in the neck."

I walked back to see Mr Yates. He was stood by the torture chairs. I presume he couldn't take sitting on them any longer.

"Are you okay?" he asked when he saw my dishevelled look and tear stained face.

"I won't need you to take me back to school," I said. "So there is little point you hanging around. I want to stay with Mum till the end, which isn't long away." I said my heart aching at the impending loss. "Since Dad lives in Milton Keynes I don't even know if I'll be back at your school at all."

Mr Yates looked shocked at my revelation and sat back down on a chair. I think he thought Mum was just badly injured. "How long does she have," he asked in an unsteady voice.

"They're not sure," I replied. "They think five or six hours."

As I left with Stacey I heard him ask the nurse manning reception if there was a chapel where he could go and pray.

When I entered the room where Mum was I was shocked how cluttered the room was. To the right of the bed was a monitor showing heartbeat and blood pressure. It was bleeping in time with the heartbeat. On either side were two drips.

"What are the drips for?" I asked.

"The one on the left is a saline drip to keep her hydrated. The one on the right is for pain relief; without that your Mum would be in a lot of pain."

As I got closer I saw Mum was asleep. Her face was bruised and she didn't look at all well.

"Will she wake up at all?" I asked.

"Probably," she replied, "Why don't you sit next to her and talk to her. If you want to hold her hand then that's fine. However, be careful not to disturb the drip."

Stacey pulled up a chair next to the bed so I could be close. I sat myself down next to Mum and said, "Hi Mum."

"That's it. You talk to her. She might not respond straight away but she will hear what you say to her. I'll leave you two alone for a while but I'll be around if you need me."

I sat there wondering what to say. As I thought I gently stroked her hand. I thought of some of the good times that we'd had together; the holidays, the trips away, just the four of us together playing monopoly. It then dawned on me that my hopes of one day being a complete family were gone for ever. Even though I might have Dad back I would never have Mum. When Beth recovered, it would still be just three of us.

I began to recount some of the holidays that I remembered. The first I recounted was the holiday we had at Oban in Scotland where it rained all week. Next came the summer mountain holiday in Switzerland where Dad got terribly burnt legs

I felt her hand twitch a bit. She didn't open her eyes or say anything but I'd got some response so I continued recounting the happy times. The holidays progressed to the one we had in Jersey and how much fun we'd had on that tiny island.

"I remember that," said a quiet voice. I looked around the room and then realised it was Mum. She was awake.

"Hi Mum," I said. "I love you so much."

"Me too," she replied her voice labouring. "How bad am I?"

I thought about lying to her. Telling her she would be okay but I couldn't. I wasn't brought up like that.

"Not good I'm afraid," I said trying to be brave. I looked across at the door and saw Stacey standing there. She just nodded as if to say that I was doing the right thing and again left me alone.

"Am I dying?" she asked with fear in her voice.

"That's what the doctor said."

"Then you must tell Dad."

"I have. He was in Scotland and will be here soon. He said the circumstances had changed."

Mum went quiet again so I just continued to stoke her hand. After a few minutes silence I started telling her again about some of the good times. I started this time recounting when she surprised me with a trip to London how we'd gone on the London Eye, going to the British museum and then on to see a proms concert with a lovely meal in the Royal Albert Hall restaurant.

"I remember that meal," said Mum as she awoke for the second time.

"Welcome back."

"Did I drift off?" she asked.

"Just for a little bit."

Stacey popped her head round the door. "Your Dad has just left Birmingham airport and should be here in less than an hour." Then she disappeared before I could say thank you.

"You must tell Dad about Jill," she said.

"I can't," I replied as I started to shake in fear.

"You can't shut her away again. She's a part of you. Dad will understand."

Mum fell silent once again. Oh what should I do? I couldn't tell him. Mum may think he'd understand but how could he. He wouldn't know how good it felt wearing women's clothes. No, when Mum died I would let Jill die too. With that decision made I continued recounting trips we'd made. How two years ago Dad had taken us to New York for a short break just after thanksgiving. The wonderful time I had skating in Rockefeller square. How we'd eaten at Le Cirque and then gone to the top of the empire state building and looked over the city that never sleeps.

As I was reliving that happy times Stacey came in with Dad. He'd changed quite a bit. His hair was longer and in a pony tail. He had on a baggy jumper and what looked like a new pair of trousers.

"New trousers?" I asked.

"Got them while I waited for the plane," he said sitting next to me. "I thought I better look nice for Mum. How is she?"

"Weak. Very weak. She's woken twice and said a bit."

"Does she know she's dying?"

"I know," she said awakening for the last time.

I swapped seats with Dad so he could be closer and he gently took hold of her hand.

Her eyes opened slightly. "Hi Andrew," she said. "I love you and Julia so much. Please forgive me for being so stupid."

"I love you too," he said tears flowing feely down his face. "And there isn't anything really to forgive. I have loved you from the first moment we met and have done ever since."

"You must tell Bill and Beth," she said. "They will understand."

Her eyes closed once more and she drifted back off to sleep. I took Dad in my arms and we just wept onto each others shoulders. There seemed to be a slight aroma of roses that was emanating from Mum.

Stacey who was passing noticed the smell and looked at the monitor. "Now's the time for you to say your final goodbyes," she said as she walked back out.

"Bye Mum," I said tears still steaming down my face. "Save a space in heaven for the rest of us."

"Bye sweetheart. I love you and I'll always love you." was all that Dad could clearly say. His face was awash with anguish.

Soon after the bleep of monitor stopped beeping and became a continuous noise.

Stacey quietly walked in and switched it off.

Mum was gone and Jill had gone with her.

THE END

Note:
The continuing story of some of these characters is occasionally mentioned in [A New Style of Education]

up
237 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Plaese continue the story

Hi Karen,

Thank you for this last chapter of book 1. I cried a litle i must confess. I hope you can also bring a litle humor in the comming chapters but i am really content with book 1. This is one of the beter stories of this year and i realy want to read more of it

Thanks,
Astrid

Thank you

Renee_Heart2's picture

I wouldn't call that the end just 1 or 2 more chapters to bring us to A new style of education.
Love Samantha Renee Heart
P.S. Very nice story by the way I understand a few things in a new style of education now.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Sad Ending But Great Story

Just reread the story along with the other S.P.A. Universe stories and I think the ending of this story is the saddest. If I hadn't read Jill/Bill's part in the New Style of Education where she/he has Annas support it would be totally heartbreaking. The other story about Simon was sad also.

Having been around death many times in one of my backup jobs trying to save a life (kids are the worst because you want to work longer and not give up) it usually doesn't bother as much as it used to but every time I read this story the ending always chocks me up.

Can't say for sure if I ever smelled roses over all the disinfectant but there is a peace that comes over them just before they take that last breath.

Keep writing, you are blessed with a gift for words.

I knew, but...

I'm still bawling my eyes out. You wrote that so well. It's never good when someone you love passes, and you handled it quite well.

Wren

MUM DIED!!!

due to an accident, Beth is hurt, now dad must stay. Karen, you left many questions unanswered.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

WoW

I only just found and finished this on FM and found myself wanting more. I went searching to find more of your work and plan on reading as much of it as I can.

Just one thing Please Please Please continue this story don't let it end there.

There has to be a book two please

YSL

This Story is Worth Reading Again!

Just spent a wet Sunday Morning re-reading "Concrete Cows", and I must confirm that this is a tale worth re-reading. First time was four years ago, but I remembered scenes as i read them again, and got more out of it this time - i think I cried more this time too.

Very cathartic. Well told story.

Briar

Briar

Fabulous story

Jamie Lee's picture

I reached chapter 25 of A New Style of Education and saw the reference to this story. And it's a fabulously well written story. One which lays the foundation to the relationship between Bill/Jill and Anna.

After reading the story and seeing the maturity of not only Beth but Bill as well, it was a mistake for Carol and Andrew to keep Julia from them. But their reason for doing so kept both Beth and Bill safe from those who would use physical violence against them to punish Julia.

Added with what Bill went through at school, not knowing about his dad/Julia increased his fragile emotional state. Bill's actions and attitude throughout the story makes one wonder if he would have accepted Julia without reversions. Especially after Jill's appeared.

I also like how this story didn't dwell on the hard times Bill experienced at school. I think his reluctance to play Dame, and dress feminine, was enough to suggest about his other problems.

A loved one dying is many times hard for the family to handle. Especially if love for the whole person is present. At the end Carol told Andrew she loved not only him but Julia as well. Carol loves the whole person, something Bill/Jill is experiencing but lacks the realization. Yet.

Death is part of life, an event many find hard to handle, an event none can escape. What saves many, in their last times, is the belief of something more. Something which gives peace to all who accept it.

Carol's death hastened something which would have taken years to achieve, Bill/Jill and Beth getting to know Julia. And Julia getting to know Jill. Sometimes tragic events turn out to be a catalyst for future happiness. Sometimes..

Others have feelings too.

Im in tears

Karen Im in tears my heart is broken I have loved this story from the start you so wraped me up in the lives of your cast of players
to this story that I lafe and cry with them feel sarowe now I feel cheated Mom didnt have to die !In a bad way ok but to end it this way ????? Thanks for the rolercoster ride I hope to see book 2 started soon Melissa C

Ditto

"We" are not amused!

We are crying


So, as it is written

So, it Shall Be Done!!
(Yul Bryner)

Konichiwa

Dont let it end like this

HI Karen
You certainly have me in ALOT of tears with this chapter. Why did the mom have to die? This story is truelly amazing and VERY well writen. As usual. I certainly hope that you continue this story in book 2. I just hope that alot of people leave positive feedback so it'll convince you to writing book 2 of this story. I look forward to more excellent storys from you.

John (dooey52)

Very sad

Jezzi Stewart's picture

WOW - please write book 2 so we all can laugh again instead of cry.

PS - I hope Tom does end up female; serves him right and might do "her" a world of good in the long run.

Hugs, Jezzi

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Great Harold!

Wow, I didn't expect that ending! Kind of convenient punishment for Tom ;) Great story, but very sad! My only complaint was that you consistently used the word "defiantly" where I thought "definitely" should have been used. Maybe this is British English? In American English, the word defiant means: resistant, brave, bold or mutinous. And, the word definite means: defined, certain and distinct. I dunno, but I defiantly want you to continue this great story ; I'll definitely be watching for stories from Karen Page! Thanks!

Thanks for the comments

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. The comments really do help the writers so please do leave comments. This was a nice book to write and I just hope I can replicate it in other works.

Why did Mum have to die? A comment I've heard here and when I showed it to a few people. Too many people die unnecessarily and needlessly in the world. This is just a reflection on of that. In Britain the number of people driving while over the legal limit has, over the years, fallen but the numbers of deaths by people over the limit is still high. I hope that the situation is better in other parts of the world.

I have the tentative outline of a sequel but not sure if it should be written or just leave this one where it is. Something for me to ponder on…

Merry Christmas

Karen

No, no! Not the end!

This is too good to end here!

I was shocked and saddened by the senseless death and injury to Mum and Beth. I guess the circumstances did change. But Bill deserves a continuation of his story and so do your readers!

Hope to see Book 2 in the near future. Thanks, Karen.

Mothers

That's a 100% record of authorial matricide so far (in what I have read).

And to add to "Great Harold", the thing at the back of a shoe is a "heel" not a "heal". And that is only one of several regularly-occurring infelicities that I've found. Could you use the services of a UK-native proofreader?

Frieda

Mothers [2]

On reading my original comment, I realised that it sounded terribly churlish - which was not my intent. I enjoyed "Concrete Cows" (and I've been to see the originals a few times...) and I'm enjoying "A Different Plane".

I'm no author (no imagination), but I have written millions of words over the years for work, and I derive my own "creative pleasure" from getting those words to look right, sound right, and to carry and deliver the intended meaning. So the offer is there...

F

Frieda

PS - if you are thinking about a "Book 2", then don't forget Europe's only *indoor* ski-slope... and the MK theatre is good too. The shopping mall leaves me cold; but does look like a good location for episodes of a teen-based story.

re: Mothers [2]

Freda,

Your comments were received in good light. Yes it is two stories and two mothers dead. Hadn't thought of that. Though the father is still alive in Concrete Cows.

I used to live in MK so I have been planning on using the full extent of the facilities around. However they will be used to set the story. I try to aim for character interaction and then worry where it will happen.

Heals got mentioned to me the other day but being off for Christmas I've not had chance to fix till a few moments ago. Angel found a lot of mistakes and I am very grateful for her work. She not only found a lot of issues but worked with me to show areas where non UK people would not understand what was being said.

The "defiantly" issue in part 10 was my fault. I added that and a few other things as last minute bits of inspiration took hold. I should have resent it via Angel but I didn't. I only have myself to blame as I'm sure she would have spotted it and covered it with her pink pen.

Planes and the first few parts of Concrete Cows weren't edited and it shows. If you do find mistakes then please say so; I won't be upset but extremely grateful.

Hugs

Karen

Thank you...

Superb ending, whether or not 'mum' had to die is imaterial we needed the plot complication to get 'dad'/Julia back from where ever. Book 2 yes please.

Thanks again.

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

book 2

WHEN???? i need more it cant finish like this for a while i read all this in a day
its sad that bills mom has died before they could all be a family again and what are they going to tell beth when she wakes up?????

jill is dead too? kinda confused

i am all confused - jill persona died with mom? but what about bill's figure problems, the way he is developing?

i figured bill's male persona would have died, as he went full time female in the new town. quite a confusing cliff hanger to have the female jill persona abandond instead.....

clearly i am enough caught up in the story to be confused....and awaiting a next "book" follow up.

a guy

jill is dead too? kinda confused

Since Karen hasn't responded...

Bill has come out to his mother, but in his thinking his Dad doesn't know anything about Jill - all his Mum's conversations about it (and he hasn't heard that much of them anyway) have been with *Julia* whoever she is. We think we know who Julia is, but Bill hasn't worked it out yet, though Beth is at least halfway there with a prime suspect.

So in Bill's mind, all the progress he has made towards Jill dies with his mother.

If it comes to Book 2, and the Dad=Julia assumption is correct** then Bill is in for a lot of surprises.
**Think of the stage magician's use of distracting activity...

Frieda

re: jill is dead too? kinda confused

Okay...

I chapter 10 Mum discovered the existence of Jill. She might have suspected that Bill might have a strong feminine side but it is the first time that Mum saw Jill.

Mum has only had one conversation with Dad since and that was Dad saying he was going away for a few days. Mum has not had chance to tell Dad about Jill. Since Dad doesn't know about Jill he can't help since Mum has died. The only other person who might spill the beans is Beth but she is still in a coma.

So what about Dad. He is reluctant to tell the children about Julia for various reasons. Two of the biggest is the reaction of Mum when he told her. Also reread chapter 7 and the late night conversation between Mum and Julia...

----------------------------------
There was a pause as Mum listened to what Julia was saying, "That, I think is a last resort. For Bill to move to Milton Keynes would mean revealing everything. At the moment he is so emotionally fragile and I don't know if he would be able to cope with such a revelation."
----------------------------------

Mum knew as she lay dying that Bill and Beth would understand about the revelation. Shame Dad hasn't got the message yet.

Since Bill doesn't think he can share Jill with his Dad, like he was scared of telling Mum. He has hidden Jill from Dad - Jill has died.

Since Dad doesn't think his children, especially Bill, could cope with the truth about Julia then he refuses to reveal all.

Hugs

Karen

Please Continue

Karen,

This was an awesome story. I have really enjoyed this story Please continue it in book 2. Don't leave me and all the other readers hanging like this. I hate cliffhangers. Keep up the good work.

Your new American fan
Nathan
Alcoa, TN USA

The End

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

Karen,

While I understand that writing a long story is taxing, it is my opinion that stories in this venue should be concluded with the resolution to the problem, not with the agrivation of the problem.

We all know that Julia is the Andrew, kid's dad and that he lives fulltime as Julia. We all know that Bill will continue to develop a feminine appearance and that the kids will have to go live with Julia. How can Julia become Andrew again? If that were possible, he would still be Andrew and living with them. Bill simply has the same condition his father has. He has girls, one of them a girl friend who loves him anyway, that know and are OK with it. Thier parents obviously know and are OK with it as well.

The story is there... Happy endning and all... why not write it. If I thought I could emulate your style, I'd hijack your characters and write it myself. But I know just enough about life in the UK to really muck it up.

So, you had better write it. ;o)

Hugs
Patricia
([email protected])
Http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/gilford/466

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper ubi femininus sub ubi

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

re: The End

Hi,

This is only the end of book 1. There WILL be a book 2. Does it have a happy end? I'm not telling.

Hugs

Karen

Erika's English

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

BTW, you did do a good job of Americanizing Erika's English. ;o)

Hugs
Patricia
([email protected])
Http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/gilford/466

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper ubi femininus sub ubi

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

re: Erika's English

Hi Patricia,

I'm glad you thought that Erika's English was more realistic. The Americanization of Erika's English is thanks to the hard work of Angel O'Hare. She sent back lots of pink editing notes with comments and examples of how Americans speak.

Besides Erika's style of languages without Angel's input the story would not have been so accessible to non British people. In many chapters she would query what I meant by certain terms and phrases as they were too localised.

Hugs

Karen

Would that more North America

Would that more North American writers took the same care as Karen has, with the language of their UK-originating chracters. (Not that many, granted, but enough to be aware of the problem)

I didn't even notice; and to both Angel and Karen, that's the best compliment I could pay, isn't it?

Frieda

Very Moving

Karen:

I've just finished reading your story 'A strange attraction',
parts I through X. As usual, I have lots to do, but I just
could not stop reading this wonderful story. I think that good
writing is that which has the ability to reach inside of us to
mold our emotions, shaping them to the authors intent. It’s
clear that what you have created here is very good.

I read the comments after chapter X. There is some good
advice there, to be certain; but not enough praise, in my
humble opinion.

Your story shows a great deal of forethought in crafting,
and apart from the fact that it’s clearly leading us to the
conclusions we all expect, it is the rich and sensuous detailing
of emotions that makes the journey so well worth the trip.

I think it is an amazing story, and I can not wait to see where
you take it, and us, in the next installment.

I found it very hard to read this story for personal reasons;
but, that in no way detracted from my admiration for either
the story, or it's author.

Thank you for the wonderful story, Karen, and please do write
soon.

Respectfully,

Sarah Lynn Morgan

Hi Karen, I hope you decide t

Hi Karen, I hope you decide to follow this up with a follow on series. It had a sad ending & left us in suspense as to if he told his father or not. Enjoyed the series
SHARPHAWLAD

SHARPHAWLAD (Sharp)

Can you add more? Please!

I do not cry much, well that is not so true anymore, but I did here. You write a very good story with enough feeling through the words to make it almost real. While the last chapter was in fact a cruel twist of life and could be the end it leaves so many yet untold tales the just beg to be done. Time would almost seem to indicate you have finished here I hope that is not the case.

re: Can you add more? Please!

Hi,

The story might have finished but the characters live on. More can be found in A New Style of Education. ANSoE is set 6 months after A Strange Attraction to Concrete Cows and includes some of the characters from this story as well as A Different Plane of Existence.

A New Style of Education isn't a direct follow on but should answer most of your questions (though hopefully it will cause you many more).

Hugs

Karen

Story and need continuation

I hadn't read this until I read a comment on one of Karen's other stories. Except for questionable word spelling / usage, it is very well done. The questionable usage isn't because she uses UK english, its that the words don't feel correct in the sentence.

The story begs for continuation. We need to know about the family coming together and their involvement with the school in "A New Style of Education".

Please continue this story

Hello Karen,

Last night at 10pm I just wanted to have a look into that story.
Then I got hooked again. After part 1 I wrote that long comment to part one and then went on reading. Its 6:37 am now and a package of tissues later.

You write so realistic and with so much feeling and emotion I just could not stop reading even though I should be sleeping and so I can study well for my university exams. Its like I was there and I suffered just as much as Anna and Bill/Jill when Anna moved away. I cried and cried it was so moving.

Still this was nothing compared to chapter 10. At times I could not continue to read for a minute because I was crying so badly.
If there were further other 10 chapters I would read them right now. Even though I know I would need more tissues.

Your stories let me live the teen years I missed. It is like therapy for me since it helped to release my blocked emotions.

You also have greatly improved your writing I think. At first the kids talked like VERY sophisticated adults but later their speech pattern was more what you would expect of a child that age. Still I saw the same thing in "A new Style of Education". Even if the students there are all very intelligent would they really talk that way?

Ok its getting close to 7 am now and I have not slept yet and will loose a lot of study time tomorrow (today). So I will finish now.
Thanks for that wonderful story and please consider filling the gap between "Concrete Cows" and "A new Style of Education".
It could also be part of Jill telling the other 1st years at school since last time she broke down at the same time as CC ends it seems. So it could just be a part of "A new Style of Education".

All the best to you

Hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mended,
but there will always be a crack.

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

I don't like such sad endings...

...but i really like this story. I have read it the last few days, before going to bed. Yesterday i had actually tears in my eyes.
Reading the last chapter has broken my heart.

Karen your story is very different from other TS/CD related stories, and i like your writing very much. It was very tantalizing so far.

I hope you continue writing such heartbreaking stories.

Saphira

re: I don't like such sad endings...

Hi Saphira,

I'm sorry that you were so heartbroken. Life is difficult sometimes. How can one plan for such events such as a drunk driver. It is always a shock to lose someone unexpectedly.

Hugs

Karen

Simply Enchanting

Karen –

First of all, well done.

I was curious about the use of the name Anna Scott for one of your characters. Were you trying to tie this story to “Notting Hill?” Was Anna “just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her” like Julia Roberts?

Some of the know-it-alls who have told you that you MUST have a happy ending are ill-informed. Take it from a MAJOR know-it-all; you did just fine. Perhaps all of those naysayers missed the end of “Romeo and Juliet” or “Titanic.”

There are three main categories of stories: plot, character, and epic. “Plot” stories are like the magical transformation stories; think Stephen King. “Character” stories are like most cross-dressing stories in that they show the inner struggle of the main character (and possibly others); think “Forrest Gump”. “Concrete Cows” is an “epic” story in that it mainly deals with the main character’s spiritual needs, AND it makes a strong philosophical statement (about acceptance in this case).

Character and plot stories absolutely must have a happy ending. The reader expects it and will be horribly disappointed if the author fails to meet that implied contract. The naysayers are to be excused, because only a tiny percentage of stories written as “epics.” Epics have a tragic ending.

I found your occasional slip of “seen” for “scene” and “here” for “hear” to be charming and sweet.

“Charming and Sweet” is exactly how your story can best be described.

Thank you.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

"Protest" stories

“Concrete Cows” is an “epic” story in that it mainly deals with the main character’s spiritual needs, AND it makes a strong philosophical statement (about acceptance in this case).

Yep. Think Charles "give 'em the" Dickens, think Herman Melville (Typee and Omoo, which castigates missionaries among native peoples; and Billy Budd and White-Jacket, both which protest naval "justice"), think Richard Dana's Two Years Before the Mast. These authors wrote from pain and grief, to protest the inhumane conditions of their times.

Similarly, the pain (social isolation, bullying) and grief (separation from his father, loss of friends and family) that Bill experiences in your story is a very effective protest against the plight (the non-acceptance) of the transgendered in the UK and America. Ending on the loss of Bill's only two friends, immediately followed by the death of his mother and severe injury of his sister, only deepens the atmosphere of an excremental life lived in misery, despite Bill's courageous and heroic approach to it all (no, he's not a victim, but life can sometimes break even the strongest of people). In short, being TG really f$%#ing hurts, and your story gives voice to the pain. Uplifting? No. Necessary? Probably.

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

re: Simply Enchanting

Hi,

Thank you for your very kind comments. I've never had someone call my work an epic before. Wow.

Anna Scott and links to Notting Hill. This was just a coincidence and you are the first to mention it. She was going to be called something else, but the name didn't seem to fit and she became Anna. The surname came much later in the draft.

Hugs

Karen

hi, Karen I just finished

hi, Karen

I just finished reading all your stories (I started with "A Time of Hope" and then read "A New Style of Education"). Having read ANSoE before ASAtCC, there was some suspense I passed up (for instance, I was not too saddened by Anna's departure, as I knew from "Education" that Jill and Anna would be together), but "Cows" was still an excellent read, and "Education" was better (what with the correct suspense). And I have to say your narrative style is superb. I am not a reader of transgender fiction, this was reccomended to be by a friend, and I entered fearing that the transgender part would be an obstacle, but it very much wasn't, particularly for "education". I eagerly anticipate the next installment.

Please

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

If you have any heart or compassion, please do not let this be the end.

I had planned to berate you mercilessly for all the tears I have shed, but I can not. This story is just too wonderful and heart-wrenching.

Thank you for taking my emotions and tearing them to shreads.

with love,

HER

P.S. I can only believe that you MUST have shed as many tears writing this as I did reading it. Tough to type when you can't see for all the tears isn't it?

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Thanks

Hi Karen!

Thank you for the story. I did enjoy it.

As a Nurse of 25 years, I have to say that not trying is an unforgiveable sin. Except for severe head trauma which leaves the person brain dead, the medical staff would have given the mother every chance, no matter how remote, to survive.

Thanks again!
Brenda