The Dukes - 6-

Printer-friendly version

The Dukes -6-
By Lana Lund

The funeral for Nicky was held at church. The Police had advised the family that in order for them to bury Nicky peacefully they should do everything at the church. None of the Dukes and none of the Suprees would desecrate the church with violence. The Dukes were all there, past and present. They all wore t-shirts that said “RIP Nicky”, everyone except Joey. Joey showed up in a dark blue suit and sun glasses that could not hide his tears. Mrs. Rivera was in pieces as were his two sisters. They wailed in grief for the entire service. Joey was beside himself over the loss of a friend. Admittedly he was one that was his rival for leadership of the Dukes, but still a friend and brother.

The old guard came out, too The Cruz brothers who were legends in the neighborhood. They had formed the Dukes some twenty five years before. Pancho, the oldest Cruz, came to Joey and whispered in his ear “we bury our family first, then we even, we get more than even, we get revenge!” Also every man in the church that day whispered the very same thing to Joey! Joey battled his emotions and the thoughts of revenge against the best strategies and battle plans. This was an opportunity for him to rise from street gang boss to neighborhood boss! Even above the Cruz’s if he was smart. He hated himself for thinking that way at his friend’s funeral but it was his greatest strength... his mind never stopped working.

Earlier that same day Joey and his mom Alma had brought Bella home . She was badly bruised and very sore, but the doctors said that she would recover. Bella and Sandy had taken the beating but it was Joey that both Bella and Alma were concerned with. Joey had not spoken much in the past few days and there had been no sign of Dee Dee at all! Bella looked at her brother and he looked away. Knowing Joey as well as she did, Bella knew what was wrong, he blamed himself for all that had happened to her and to Nicky Rivera. When Joey said to her “anything you need sis, just ask” Bella seized the opportunity “I want Dee Dee now!” At first Joey tried to beg out of it but Alma jumped in too “I need your help Dee Dee to care for your sister. Joey tired to apply the makeup but tears kept getting in the way. She changed into her jean skirt and tube top and just as it always had done, the transformation from Joey to Dee Dee brought her peace. Dee Dee walked into the living room with perfect hair and makeup and Bella’s face lit up followed by her warm smile though the bumps and bruises!! Dee Dee ran to her sister and they gently embraced in a hug between sisters. The Perez family was going to be okay. They were going to recover and put the recent events behind them. Allowing Dee Dee to surface was just what Joey needed this day, so that a good cry washed away the grime and the pressures of the streets of “The Flats”. It bought the Perez’s a gentle peace. Temporarily!!!

Jobo was on a three day run of drugs and alcohol! He posted his guards, put the Suprees on high alert and waited for retaliation and the wait drove him crazy. The two or three girls that serviced him could not take away the edge nor satisfy the leader of the Suprees. In the fog of the drugs the beautiful face of Dee Dee Ortiz came to mind. That is who he longed for. She touched him that day by Gimbles and she reached his soul and Jobo couldn’t get her out of his mind. So he sent some scouts out to look for her.

Dee Dee walked the neighborhood openly and it felt wonderful. Dee Dee knew that any traces of Joey could not be seen and that being outside was her own best medicine. She had been asked to go pick up some pain medicine for Bella, so she did. Dee Dee decided to go as herself so that she could get there and back without the whole neighborhood stopping Joey to talk of revenge. There would be enough of that at the funeral and after.

The smell of her own perfume, the gentle breeze on her legs, the warm sun on her bare shoulders had absorbed her so much so that she did not notice that she was being followed. No Dukes, no Suprees, no Jobo ... just the feminine bliss that she loved so much. The cell phone in the purse startled her back to reality. She stopped to pull the phone out when she first noticed that she was being followed. Shasha, Jobo’s cousin was on the line calling to tell Joey that Jobo was looking for a Mexican girl named Ortiz. Joey spoke to Shasha saying “thanks for the information” and playing with her by saying” I really need to see you girl to thank you in person!” Shasha was hot for Joey and was willing to take a chance; she explained that her family and Jobo’s were together for protection. She also let slip the Jobo was right next door!

Darnell watched the Mexican girl from the alley across the street and felt that he still had not been seen. She was hot and Darnell could see why Jobo sent him of this mission. She was so girly as she talked on the phone while window shopping. She turned toward him and he ducked back into the alley. She had great legs and beautiful dark brown hair just looking at her caused a stir in his baggy pants.

After the mass for Nicky, Father Joseph came to Joey and he whispered in Joey’s ear. “I want to talk to you in the sacristy; please, it will only take a minute Joey!” Father Joseph always got right to the point; “You can not lead this community into a war with the Suprees without many, many families being hurt!” “Joey, you are a wonderful leader. Now you need to lead” he implored. “You give me too much credit, Father, I…” Father Joseph broke into Joey speech on humility by saying “Joey, I know who and what you are. Joey, I know the potential in you for great things and for great violence.” “Please Joey, save us from this madness, please save our community” Father Joseph begged. Wow, you too, Father, Joey thought to himself but he knew that Father was right he would have to spare everyone else and do this alone, if he could.

up
48 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

1st off WoW!

This is a cross dressing between 'West Side Story' and ‘The streets of San-Francisco’

It's a great story line and I trust you will keep it.
It has a real street feel, gang violence, murder, family love, church and neighbourhood aggression, history!

With a cross-dresser in the middle of all of it!

I like the way it is written in the same mould;- possibly on purpose?

Hope we can see more of your talent?

Keep up the great work.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita