Wishing Upon A Star

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 


Wishing Upon a Star!



(Hey Zoe!)

Sometimes the dreams we have are the dreams we are


"Honey, would you get the door? I think that's Bejing Dream." Billie's mom called from the office. "I'm just winding up that paper for class tomorrow, and I want to finish it before things get away from me."

"Sure, Mom." He walked to the door and opened it to find a girl about three or four years older than him standing on the porch holding a medium size grocery bag. She handed him the bag and he handed her a ten and a twenty.

"Thanks, keep the change." She smiled and bounded back down steps and got into her car and drove off.

"I'll get everything ready." He called to her as he walked into the kitchen. Grabbing a couple of plates and two bowls, he ladled the Won Ton soup. He spooned out the Szechuan Beef onto the plates and carried them into the living room on a tray along with some silverware and two cans of Pepsi.

"Oh thanks, honey," his mother said as she walked into the living room.

"Wow, I can't believe I got that done on time. Nick was pressing us last week to get the report out and we finished it on time. I never thought I'd have enough time to finish the research paper, too." She sat down and popped open her drink as Billie hit the cable remote.

"Ladies and Gentleman, Dancing With the Stars, with Len Goodwin, Bruno Tonioli, and Carrie Ann Inaba." The announcer's voice seemed to trail off as Billie's attention was drawn to the screen. His heroine...His idol...His...role model?

"I think Zoe Duschanel is so much better than Derek Jeter, Bil..what do you think?" She said as Billie sat, rapt.

"I really love the name Zoe...it means life," she continued almost unheard. He seemed to be lost in thought, and music played in the back of his mind. He drifted off even while awake as the strains of a familiar tune surrounded him.

A voice seemed to be speaking...his voice and yet like someone else....

(Maybe they’re right. Maybe there is something the matter with me.
I just don't see how a God who could create someone like me could make a mistake.)

Look at this dress
Isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my wardrobe’s complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has everything? (I wish)
Look at my face
I’m not a disgrace?
How many challenges can a girl like me face?

Looking around here you might guess
Sure, she’s got a home
I've got a cell phone and an i-pod too!
I've got a blackberry and a laptop and yes
You want MP3’s?
I've got a few
But who cares?
I want more

I wanna be like the real girls are
I wanna...I wanna be like them livin’
Walking around on those - what do you call 'em?
Oh - heels!

Swingin my hips' just won’t get me far
Heels are required for sambas, cha chas
Dancin’ along round a - what's that word again?
Floor?

Right where they sing, Right where they dance
Right where they dream all day of romance
Tango with me - wish I could be
Like Carrie Anne

What would I say if I could play dancing the Rumba?
What would I pay to spend a day just waltzing around?
Mom might surmise just realize
That her only son is really her daughter?
Very sweet so light on my feet
A girl..oh how profound.

And ready to know what I already know
Asking me questions and hearing my answers
Why do I want to… how to say - what's the word?
Change?

When can I be?
Wouldn't I love, love to implore the stars above?
It’s really just me
Wish I could be
Like Carrie Ann

"Tune in tomorrow for our results show," Tom Bergeron spoke over the theme music.

In the midst of the music another voice spoke.

"Billie...Billie? Earth to Billie? Honey, do you want any more of this before I wrap it up?" She said, pointing to the container in her hand. She held up the soup container and both were met with a shake of the head; no.

"Which do you want to go over tonight, honey? I think you have the Cha Cha down pretty good. Maybe the Samba?" She said Samba with a long nasal 'A' like Len.

"Or perhaps the Quick Step? I think you'll be gweat!" She laughed as she kicked off her heels. Walking behind the big space behind the couch, she waited for Billie to join her.

"This is so good, Mom...thanks so much. You know, maybe the Fox Trot?"

"Fox Trot it is," she said as she turned on the CD. A moment later the strains of piano filled the room followed by Diana Krall singing It Could Happen to You.

She put her left hand in Billie's while holding Billie's waist.

"Oh, gosh, what was I thinking. Gotta have heels for practice, right?" She put the CD on pause and picked up her heels off the couch and put them on the floor. And Billie smiled once at her mother before stepping into the heels while her mother restarted the music.

"Hide your heart from sight...lock your dreams at night...it could happen to you...."


song parody based on
Part of Your World
words and music by
Alan Menken and Howard Ashman
from the movie The Little Mermaid
as performed by Jodi Benson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pPUmv3U2XY

It Could Happen to You
words and music by
Johnny Burke and Jimmy Van Heusen
as perfomed by Diana Krall
http://s0.ilike.com/play#Diana+Krall:It+Could+Happen+To+You:...

up
59 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wishing

littlerocksilver's picture

'Drea,

What an enjoyable little story. What a wonderful mother.

Portia

Portia

Short and Sweet!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

A short and sweet story. Thanks for making me smile!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

As always

A very nice story.

Thank you.

- Connie

Wishing Upon A Star

I can only hope that Billie's wish is granted.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Tips, An Introduction to The Follow-on Story

Submitted by stanman63 on Fri, 2010/07/02 - 6:41am.
Nancy, This here reminds me of Jill Micayla in many ways. I can see where Andy is dealing with P.T.S.D. and Amanda. Yes, as your story says, it'll take A Different Kind Of Courage for Andy to find the peace that he is searching for.

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Andrea,

ALISON

'you paint a beautiful word picture and some people still can't
see the forest for the trees.Never mind,darling,it is the sane ones you worry about.

ALISON

*giggle*

Zoe Taylor's picture

'Zoe', eh? ;-)

*hugs!* That was beautiful. 'Part of Your World' is one of the two songs that I've always felt described precisely how I felt growing up. I used to sing it constantly, which of course drew some strange stares :-P

Now I has new lyrics! Really, really beautiful, short-and-sweet story. You realize of course, I'm going to be singing this for days now. To quote an adorable little girl, from I wish I could remember where, "I DO believe in magic! I DO I DO!" ^_^

I'll say more in private :-D

Love and hugs,
~Zoe

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

your usual outstanding story

you make these look so easy, and you never seem to mis-step. brava.

DogSig.png

Nice Story

Renee_Heart2's picture

This is a good short story I just wish you kind of told how Billy became Billie I know he was in a trance like state and the he became a she just like that a few mor details would have been nice. I like the Little Mermade spoof oth the song from Arial. anyway keep up the good work.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart