Stricken

Printer-friendly version

Ryan lay in bed once again. This was the third day in the last 4 weeks that he was not feeling well enough to go to school. He didn't mind missing school. What kid does? The relentless fever he felt however was disconcerting. His pajamas were drenched as was his hair.

To say Ryan was stressed is the understatement of the year. He was downright petrified. Looking at his mom and dad, he could see the sheer concern on their faces as well. Even his little brother and sister knew something was up.

The signs were there. The high fever that reoccurred every several days. The fatigue that made him want to sleep non stop. The pain in the abdomen that was faint but constant. As each episode transpired, the need to find answers grew stronger.

"Ryan, I made an appointment with Dr. Monroe tomorrow morning. We need to find out why you have not been feeling well lately."

"Mom, I'm fine...I've just been under the weather a little. It's going to pass." He replied with a sense of desperation.

"I know sweety but we need to find out. Imagine how relieved you will be when you find out that you are safe."

Ryan thought about how incredible it would be to find out that he was not one of them. That all of his symptoms were just an odd coincidence. That would be such a relief and a tremendous weight off his shoulders.

"Ok mom, I'll go"

His mom gave him a hug and let him rest. She tried to look strong in his presence but on the ther side of his door she let her concern out as a tear fell down her cheek. Her son was the epitomy of the all-American boy. He was good looking, athletic and such a boy. Ryan was their pride an joy. He led the high school football team as its quarterback and dated the head cheerleader. He was a boy's boy and prided himself on being the best at everything he did. Oh how their lives would change if he was stricken. The possibilty made her shudder, but she had to know. This suspense could not go on any longer.

The next day Ryan was feeling much better. His fever had subsided and he felt like himself again.

"You know mom, I'm way better than I was yesterday. I think I would be ok with not going to the doctors today."

"Ryan, we need to find out. It been happening too often for us to just ignore. We need to do this."

Ryan knew his mom was right and silently agreed with a nod of his head.

"So Ryan, it seems that you have been having symptoms of high fever, persperation, dull pains in the abdomen and exhaustion several times recently. It could be a virus of some sort. Although rare, it is possible to have a reoccuring illness." Dr Morgan explained.

Ryan felt a little at ease. It could be only a virus.

"With these symptons though, we need to run the GR-2 test which I'm sure the both of you figured."

Ryan and his mother nodded their heads in agreement.

"Ok. Now I can't say I understand what you are going through but I can tell you that by tomorrow you will know for sure where you are headed. I'm going to send Nurse Leigh in to take the swab and we will contact you as soon as we recieve the results."

"Thank you doctor" his mom replied.

Nurse Leigh entered the room and had Ryan open his mouth as she took a swab sample from his inner cheek. Ryan noticed how she looked at him with a sympathetic glance. It looked like a "poor-thing" or a "pity" kind of face that she gave him. He wasn't used to people feeling sorry for him.

Mother and son left the doctor's office both knowing that tomorrow would shape the rest of Ryan's life one way or another. Both knew they would not be sleeping that night.

"Let's go get some ice cream honey. It's going to be alright."

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Stricken

Is this the first part of an ongoing story? Or are we to try to guess the rest?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Stricken

But Stan, you always try to guess the rest anyway!

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Looking forward

Ashley, good to see you back--looking forward to where this goes.

Arkady71

Honey? I Think Its Gone, Girl Here I come

I think he has a disease that turns him into a girl.
Not a bad thing if you have the right frame of mind.
I would say the same thing if it were a girl turning
into a boy. If she remained XX genetically. The
extra X makes women genetically superior to men. Less
genetic diseases.

Kaptin Nibbles