Something to Declare 3

Printer-friendly version
 A Fiddle]

Something
to
Declare


by Cyclist

 Violin Bow]

Chapter 4

WARNING: rather unpleasant childhood distress

I suppose I should take a step back from the here and now and give some background. Imagine this page doing a lap dissolve, with swirly distortion and tinkly music and clearing to reveal a short, skinny, auburn-haired lad astride an orange Raleigh Chopper.

That was the secret weapon of the UK cycle industry, an Easy Rider-styled monstrosity with a three-speed gear lever on what passed for the top tube, which is the real name for a bike’s crossbar. Brake too hard, slide forward off the banana seat, and say hello to sudden genital pain. Did I say secret weapon? That should be secret suicide device, as the Chopper handled so badly it put a whole generation off cycling for life.

I was an odd mix as a boy, tiny beyond belief till a growth spurt took me past average height in my mid-teens, so I had the twin devils to face of being firstly the short skinny kid that everyone beat up, and then the beanpole apparently fit for the same purpose. I had four passions in my life: music, reading, cycling and, oddly, rugby. No, not that one, the REAL one with 15 players each side. I may not have been big, but I was blindingly fast, and for a number of reasons I was willing to throw myself into tackles that shocked opponents. My favourite position was open side flanker, that home of psychotic speed merchants since the game was first formalised. I idolised such people as Neil Back, the small hard missiles that hunt the half-backs.

Cycling was my other active pastime, and it was never a club thing, unlike the rugby. It set me loose from the immediate streets of my childhood, allowing me time to settle into that near-Zen state of contemplation that comes when winding a steady cadence down the coast road or pulling up one of the long, long hills to the East. It let me sink into my own world, a chance to try and put some sort of order into my shipwreck of a soul.

I simply knew I was different. Not in the way the bullies shouted, not the “Puff!” that I was beaten so badly for that I twice tried suicide with pills filched from my mother. There, that was blunt, but how else to bring it up? I was found, washed out, and after the second attempt I decided to at least, at last have a go at living my own life. I just didn’t know what it would be.

This is the point where I am traditionally supposed to introduce tales of childhood cross-dressing, of dolls and make-up, but they never happened. I was too solitary in my habits to have suitable friends, and I was simply so introverted that my gender and sexuality only announced themselves even to me when I was pulled up by my housemaster for what was a true Freudian slip.

“Why did you say that, Stephen?”
“What, sir?”
“ ‘The other girls’ “
“Er, I meant ‘The other pupils’, sir”

That was the moment when it suddenly burst into my mind, the source of my confusion, the root of all that conflict in my life. I was 12, and I knew who I was for the first time. The signals picked up by the bullies were being misread; I was no pansy, no sissy, no nancy-boy poofter after a bumming that needed a proper kicking, but rather a girl with a problem. I had found myself, but I was unreachable.
That afternoon was my second suicide attempt.

My mother found me, forced me to drink salty water and called an ambulance. The tube down my throat was unpleasant beyond belief, and I spent a short while in hospital as a sullen, withdrawn little bundle. I read to keep the nurses from talking to me, and in one of the newspapers I found on the ward I first came across the story of a Bond girl who had been born with my own problem.

There was light at the end of the tunnel, and not from an oncoming train

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Story Developing Nicely

This is not an uncommon kind of story, not by any means. It is being well told though, and is developing nicely. Look forward to following it as it goes.

Briar

Briar

Thank you

I know it's not uncommon, but then there are only supposed to be a finite number of stories. Thank you for your kind words; I am simply indulging my taste for language and skewed humour, but hope I can leave something worth reading more than once. It is also an attempt to let some demons of my own out through my keyboard. As said, I have an outline of the plot in mind but am trying not to be too predictable. Yet to decide on who is really the villain. Having...fun hunting typos after posting.

Something to Declare 3

I feel for Stephanie. Her inner turmoil knew no outlet. The fact that she survived is testimony to her resilience.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

How Do You Know Me?

joannebarbarella's picture

I didn't have red hair and I didn't play rugby, but the rest of your description fits me to a tee during childhood, even to the timing of the realisation of what it was that was "wrong" with me.

Having read "Cold Feet" I naturally recognise Steve/Steph as a bit-player in that story and the development of that character in her own right is something I am looking forward to,

Joanne

Steph

She remains close to my heart, intimately so.

Traditional

Podracer's picture

"This is the point where I am traditionally supposed to introduce tales".. Aye, good to hear of a character who actually didn't know what was going on. As someone who has seldom understood how my head really works, or what I want, I can empathise.

A couple of weeks ago I did a Sunday circular tour and went through the seaside town of Withernsea. As I coasted downslope along the seafront I exchanged a grin and nod with a bloke who looked sixtyish who was inspecting the beach scene from the dubious luxury of his Raleigh Chopper seat. I prefer the more generous support of a recumbent's comfy hammock.

"Reach for the sun."

Bents?

Trikes I can ride. Bent bikes I can't: my reflexes are decades-locked into upright riding. Choppers? Ugh.

The point of the 'revelation' is just that. I have tried in various ways and works to look at how trans people come to an awareness, and there is a clear split between those who know, absolutely, from an early age, and those who have to work out what their problem really involves. One size does NOT fit all.

There was light at the end of the tunnel, and not from .......

I'm re-reading this - for the 4th or 5th time now - and I keep finding different things each time.

"There was light at the end of the tunnel, and not from an oncoming train". Oh my, I remember that feeling. And how the weight of the world seemed to lift off my shoulders when I realized that. And it happened the first time I went out as me as well - and those fears and feelings of trepidation that Stef was feeling I also remember all too well.

A lovely story, each and every time I read it. Thank you for this.

Oh, and thanks or the music references. I have to agree with Stef - Eric Bogle's singing and lyrics can make me cry too. My parents were big folkies so I grew up with a lot of that style of music at home and was extremely pleased to find him after you mentioned him in your story. Awesome music.

Kate
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." William Gibson