The Swan Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version
The Swan

Chapter Nine
"I am Anne Marie Mangano"

A Musical Interpretation
by Andrea Lena DiMaggio

 

We’re here and we’re going to see this thing through, come what may, aye?


 
Previously

“I think….I think….” She turned to Jimmy and shrugged apologetically once again and said,

“I think Jimmy wants…..” She barely had gotten it out when Archie blurted out.

“Jimmy wants to be a fucking girl!” A slap he didn’t expect hit him in the back of his head knocking his cap off.

“Sooorrrreeee!” He turned and shrugged at Jimmy who just stared at his father, who stared back, but with a warm smile on his face.

“And would someone tell me what would be so wrong about that?” Kellan looked around the table. Maureen smiled and nodded. Archie looked away while holding his cap on his head. Colleen looked at Jimmy as if to apologize for breaking a confidence she had never learned. And Jimmy sat and stared at his father, who nodded and smiled.

“Well there…that settles that. Now, Archie, would you mind getting some eggs and sausage out of the fridge? I feel like making some breakfast. Oh and mind you, you might all say a prayer for Dina and for your brother here. I have a feeling they're going to need all the help they can get."

Archie laughed loudly until his cap went flying. Maureen and Colleen both leaned close to Jimmy and smiled.

"It's okay!" Colleen said squeezing his hand while Maureen asked softly,

"What's her name?"

"MMM...Moira." Jimmy said as he began to weep.


Annie Mangano's home at about Four AM

Annie lay in her bed; rather she tossed and turned while just beneath her consciousness she wept softly as the scene played out in a nightmare that felt it would never end....

Maureen:
She’s not a freak!

Voices!
A Sinner!

Kellan:
No! She’s not! No more than any of us!

Woman:
Is it dangerous?

Maureen:
Oh, no. No, she'd never hurt anyone. (nearly weeping)

I know she looks different, but he's really very gentle and kind.
She's my girlfriend.

Rev. Pastore:
If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for this monster.

Maureen:
She's not a monster, Pastor. You are!

Rev. Pastore:
She's as sinful as HE is!
She says this creature is her friend.
Well, I've read about these kinds of things
And I know what can happen if you don’t stop them!
They’ll corrupt our children.

Voices:
(gasp)

Rev. Pastore:
He'll turn them against you…make them like …HIM!

Maureen:
Oh, no! She would never!

Rev. Pastore:
Forget them…I say…kick him out!

Voices:
Make him leave!

Man 1:
We're not safe until he's gone!

Man 2:
He's been amongst us all this while!

Woman:
Set to turn our precious children to his sickening lifestyle!

Man 3:
He'll pervert our congregation if we let him wander free

Rev. Pastore:
So it's time to take some action, church. It's time to follow me

Crowd:
Through the mist of our minds
Through the shadows and the darkness
Inner bias sends us on this righteous ride

Say a prayer for our children
we’re convinced that we are holy
But it’s really that the hate that dwells inside!

He’s a freak, sick’ning freak
He is evil
We’re not safe ‘til he’s gone from this place

He is evil, to be sure!
But we’ll never be secure ‘til he’s gone!
Good and gone!
A disgrace!

Maureen:
I won't let you do this!

Rev. Pastore:
It’s not up to you!

Maureen:
Daddy! This is all my fault. I have to make this right.

Kellan:
I'm with you, darlin’

Maureen: :
Oh, Daddy!

Andrew and Connie:
We nearly lost her once, we won't lose her again!

Maureen:
Altogether? Yes!

Annie woke up with a start and looked at the clock. 5:27 AM...almost time.


Grace and Peace Fellowship the following day

The vans pulled into the parking lot. Three families got out and made their way to the entrance of the church. All of the members were dressed in their Sunday best. As they entered the church they noticed the folks at the front, several of whom were shaking hands in greeting. A nice woman approached the group.

“Good Morning. Welcome to Grace and Peace Fellowship.” She smiled and pointed to a table at the side.

“We have information about our services and support groups. I hope you find your time here this morning fulfilling.” She smiled once again and went forward to greet a couple with a baby.

“Well, folks, here goes nothin’” Kellan grinned and pointed to the door to the sanctuary. The group made its way down the aisle. Arriving early made things a little easier as they found seats down front, filling an entire row.

“Don’t worry,” Kellan said as he turned to the girls on either side of him.

“We’re here and we’re going to see this thing through, come what may, aye?” He smiled as the girl on his left looked around nervously.

“I’m with you, okay?” The tall girl sitting behind the pair put her hands on both their shoulders.

“It’s a beautiful day; our families are all here, and you’re not alone.” She cringed a bit but her resolve almost glue her to her seat in spite of the fact that she felt like running away. An uptempo song started to play on the overhead speakers, and Kellan noticed that a band was walking onto the platform. The music overhead faded, but was quickly replaced as a man looking to be in his mid twenties spoke.

“Won’t you join us as we worship the Lord. “ He turned and nodded and the guitar and bass began playing.

“Come let us offer a sacrifice of praise...the fruit of our lips giving thanks,” the young man sang as the congregation rose and began to sing. The tall girl stood and tapped Kellan on the shoulder, pointing to a screen back and above the band, which featured the words to the song. Soon the new group joined in, feeling at least for the moment somewhat welcome and less apprehensive.

After several songs the leader smiled and spoke.

“Isn’t it good to be in the company of people who love and care? You may be seated.”

After a few announcements a tall handsome man in his forties stood up and walked up the steps of the platform and stepped behind the podium. He smiled and looked down at the podium and then spoke, raising his head and looking over the crowd of people.

“For the wages of sin is death….” Archie turned to Maureen and whispered,

“Hey...I haven’t gotten paid,” evoking a sharp elbow in the ribs by Colleen, who sat on his other side.

The pastor went on to explain how needful it was to lead a dedicated life, “holy and acceptable to God,” he quoted. Several of the parishoners nodded and an amen or two emanated from the congegation. After about twenty minutes and three points about service and sacrifice, he concluded by offering a prayer.

As he concluded a younger man walked up to him before he was about to turn the service back to the worship leader. He leaned closer to the pastor and spoke in his ear. The pastor’s expression turned from shock to anger and then to an almost smug visage as he stood and walked back to the podium. He took the microphone and stepped out from behind the podium and began to speak.

“This is a church that prides itself in following the precepts of the Bible. While we welcome all who choose to worship here, we will brook no folly or insult to this church or God. I have been informed that there are two boys sitting in the midst of us, flaunting their sinful life-style. It saddens me to say this, as we do want all to be reconciled to God, but it must be on His terms, and not ours.”

His voice trailed off as he seemed to look over the crowd, seeking the “offenders.”

“We will have no sin tainting the house of the Lord. If you stand and admit your sin, you can receive forgiveness and reconcilliation, but you have no place here if you continue to remain in your foolish pride and behavior.”

Again he paused. Looking around he failed to pick out anyone of note, and seemed to grow impatient. In what became almost a ‘reverse’ altar-call, he spoke again.

“Stand up and be forgiven or leave this place! Come now…you can be reconciled to God if you abandon your folly.” He smiled at the turn of his phrase. He was a good communicator and several of the folks in the congregation shouted,

“Folly!”

He smiled and looked again. He seemed to look disappointed, and he shook his head, as if to let things go when a lone figure stood up and walked to the aisle.

“Good…I can see that you’ve seen the light.”

He smiled again, feeling confident. The girl stepped up to the end of the seats and stood in front of the platform.

“What is your name, young man?”

“My…my” She stammered as tears streamed down her cheeks.

“Come, now…confess your sin and be forgiven.” The pastor said softly, almost like a forgiving father.

“My….my….”

Once again she was unable to speak. Slowly, a man in his forties stepped into the aisle. Walking nervously up the aisle, he joined the girl and put his arm on her shoulder.

“Her…Her name is Anne….Anne Marie Mangano…and I am her father.” Andrew stammered, tears in his own eyes. The pastor frowned and spoke.

“You sir, are a fool, and you have a fool for a child. This is no girl, but a boy, and you have enabled him to insult this church! What is your name, boy?” He said it with a bitter tone in his voice.

“Her name is Anne!” Connie stood up, nearly shouting from where she stood.

“Madam…this is the house of God, and I would remind you that it is folly that you bring here today! This is a time of confession.” He shook his head, and all evidence of the paternal friend disappeared in an angry scowl.

“Confession!” A man in the back of the church yelled, soon to be followed by echoes of the same word from throughout the sanctuary.

“Confession!”

“Confession!”

Kellan looked around and he became angry…not a righteous or pious anger, but the anger of a parent who had seen enough.

“If it’s confession he wants, I’ll be happy to confess, aye?” He said to the family before standing and speaking slowly and surely as any time he had ever breathed a word.

“I am Anne Marie Mangano.” He smiled and stood, not smug but relieved to have spoken.

“This is utter foolishness! Sit down!” The pastor grew red until he noticed another figure stand up.

“I am Anne Marie Mangano.” Pete Mangano was somewhat red from embarrassment, but his worry was not as important as the love for his niece. He was soon joined by Dina and Marie. Jack and Tommy stood up, patting Dina on the back. They clasped hands with their sister and raised them in the air, almost yelling.

"I am Anne Marie Mangano!"

“I am Anne Marie Mangano!” They said almost as a prayer as all three held hands. A few voices yelled,

“Shut up and sit down,” from the back of the church.

“I am Anne Marie Mangano!” The tall girl stood. She was plain looking, but her countenance was one of sweetness and kindness; some would say angelic. Moira McKenna spoke for the very first time in her life, and it was good. Her sisters stood up and repeated,

“I am Anne Marie Mangano!” The twins almost sounded harmonic as they said it in unison. Gasps filled the air as the pastor spoke once again. Maureen stepped into the aisle and walked up to join Annie and Andrew.

“You need to leave…now…all of you!”

It was clear that he was more than impatient. He began to slap his Bible lightly against his thigh, growing nervous and nearly agitated.

A small woman, looking to be about seventyish, rose slowly on her walker. She looked around at the congregation before saying softly, almost indiscernible to those further away, but crystal clear to her own family,

“I am Anne Marie Mangano.” She was quickly joined by her granddaughter and daughter.

“I am Anne Marie Mangano.”

A man of about thirty-five stood up with his fiance', son-in-law and daughter of one of the deacons.

"I am Anne Marie Mangano." They were quickly joined by the deacon and his wife.

"I am Anne Marie Mangano."

One by one, people rose and repeated the words until nearly a quarter of the congregation was standing. A boy of about thirteen stood and grabbed Moira’s hand. Archibald Patrick McKenna shook nervously, wondering what the future would hold for him once he spoke, but spoke he did.

“I…I…ammmm…Aaaa..Anne….Marie Mangano.” He looked around and went to sit down but a man behind him patted him on the back. He turned to see his gym teacher smile and hold his hands together in praise. Colleen made her way past Moira and hugged him.

“Way to go, baby brother, way to go.”

Conscience!
No! No! NO!

Rev. Pastore:
I am right, listen here
Our crusade is good and righteous
And it’s me you’ll need to lead you on the way!

Women:
Through the mists of your mind
Where you feel so right and pious
Something's lurking there that plagues you every day

All:
You are angry
And you feel so self-rightous
Self-deceived in a sad and prideful way

Sally forth! Come along
Grab your sword! Sing a song!
Praise the Lord and take a stand!

You resent
What you don't understand
In fact it scares you
And you become more unforgiving come what may!
Bring your spite
Bring your hate
Save your children and your mate
You’ll stay anchored in your hate!
Hear what we say!

Rev. Pastore:
Oh my God…what have I done?
Through my most grievous fault
Hear me; the fault is MINE!

I am sorry!
Now convicted
I now ask for YOUR forgiveness
I extend my deep remorse to all of you

Church
Just as wrong
Just as wrong
We all know that we were wrong
We’re truly sorry we went along
Just like you!

The pastor shook his head, confused and almost fearful, as his anger dissipated. He went to sit down, but movement out of the corner of his eye caught his attention. A young man…a boy of thirteen actually, got up from his seat in the front row. He walked over and joined Andrew and Annie and Maureen. Tears were streaming down his cheeks as he leaned over and kissed Annie on the cheek, whispering “Thank you” in her ear before stepping closer to the platform.

The pastor looked at the boy…the boy? Recognition was replaced by shock and then sadness….true sadness that only conviction could bring as his own son spoke the words.

“I am Anne Marie Mangano.”

The boy walked slowly up the platform and stood in front of his father. He slowly grabbed the microphone and smiled nervously as his father seemed almost helpless; nearly paralyzed with a flood of conflicting emotion as he heard his son speak.

“I am my father’s child. “ Tears continued to fall to the floor as he looked down at Anne and mouthed the words once again, “Thank you,” before speaking.

“Ssssome…Some of you….some of you may know me…..MMMost..most of you don’t.” He stammered even as his father sat down, holding his head in his hands as he began to weep.

“I…I am my father’s child…” He looked back to his father and sighed.

“My name is…. Sssome of you know me as Gabe…Gabriel Pastore. But that’s not my name.” A new confidence replaced the nervousness; peace brought about by permission to be whom….she was.

“My name is Gabriella Isabella Pastore. “ She smiled once again before turning around and looking at her father. She walked over to him and gently lifted him to his feet.

“I love you, Daddy,” She said before walking off the platform to her mother, who waited with tears in her own eyes. She hugged Gabriella and her husband before they walked slowly to a side door by the stage and out. Andrew looked at them as they departed before turning to Annie. He pulled her close and began to weep softly as he kissed her cheeks over and over.

“I love you,” he repeated as she smiled.

“I love you, too, Daddy.”

Next: Both A Little Scared


based on The Mob
from the movie Beauty and the Beast
words and music by
Alan Menkin and Howard Ashman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=917Q8dbpRLE

up
58 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Battles

littlerocksilver's picture

What we have seen is the scientific method put to good use in what I would have expected to be the least likely place. The good Reverend Pastore tried to skew the data to support his pre-ordained conclusion. Fortunately, reality triumphed, at least for the moment. When the experiments support results you don't believe in, you had better check on your beliefs.

Portia

Portia

The Swan Chapter 9

This chapter is full of Hope! Love how Anne Marie's family stood with her and won over so many, and the surprise was especially sweet.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Andrea,

ALISON

'thank you so much.You really are a darling!!!

ALISON

I am...

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I couldn't help think of the 'I am Spartacus' scene from said film as the congregation stood up in support of Annie. A touching moment, particularly when the pastor's own child came out to her father.

You are once more spoiling me with the beauty and the beast soundtrack and although I had a little trouble getting your lyrics to fit initially after a couple of repititions I managed to pick up the rhythm better and they slotted in well. The pastor remains a good Gaston!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

That...

...or the graduation scene from In & Out, where the students, then his family, then the townspeople stand, each announcing in turn "I'm gay!" in support of Klein's character Howard Brackett, a teacher who had been fired for coming out as gay. ^__^

-Liz

Successor to the LToC

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

So....

There is an estimate that 1 in about 250 male bodied people might be trans. How many maleish people are there in this church and how many have recently come out as trans? 4? 5?

It isn't "what's in the water" at present, it's "what was in the water when their mothers were pregnant" ? Perhaps some pesticide or plasticizer that is a potent endocrine disruptor; ei. vertebrate bodies are effected as if it were an estrogen.

Good going, Drea; keep up the great work!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Well, that was unexpected!

I love the way so many people in the church refused to follow the preacher's hatred. The fact that it allowed Gabe to express herself was beautiful. I loved it. Encore, Encore!

Wren

brave moment

and maybe, just maybe, enough to make the pastor re-evaluate his hate

DogSig.png