The Scholarship, Part 3 of 3

Printer-friendly version

A transfer student discovers his new high school's scholarship program and its unusual rules.

The Scholarship, Part 3 of 3

by
Julie O

 

Chapter One-Hundred-Sixty

Sunday morning I watched as Sam and Mom pulled out of the driveway on their trip to Philadelphia. They told me that they would call when they reached their hotel. I would miss them, but I was happy that they were getting some time together. I knew Mom was nervous about meeting Sam's family. I also wondered how they would react to me.

I read the paper until it was time to go to work. We were still busy due to the prom. We were also getting a lot of business due to weddings. We didn't deal in bridal clothing, but we got a lot of business from the guests, mothers of the bride and groom, and so on. It was fun helping customers pick out outfits.

Mel told me that she'd watched the movie that Mrs. Lincoln was in. She said that she'd been searching the Internet auction sites to see if she could find anything from Mrs. Lincoln's career, as she thought it could be a cool gift.

After work I drove home and pulled into our driveway. I went into my house and changed into something more casual. I slipped on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and my sandals. I packed a small overnight bag and grabbed my clothes for school on Monday. I always felt a little funny when I stayed at someone's home as a guest. Additionally, this was the first time I had done it as Erika. Part of me felt that I was imposing on their privacy; however, I felt comfortable staying with Cat and Terri.

I walked over to their house. I still felt a bit uneasy when I crossed the lawn between our homes. I stopped and stared at the spot where the attack had taken place for a second and then continued over to their house.

Terri was waiting and she welcomed me inside. I knew she'd seen me stop, but she didn't say anything about it. I took my stuff upstairs into Cat's room.

She was on the computer, trading instant messages with Matt. "Hey, sorry I didn't hear you come in."

"Don't worry about it; say hi to Matt for me."

"Will do, just put your stuff over on that bed. Let me say goodbye to Matt."

"No need," I replied. I put my bag down and sat on the bed. I had also brought my own pillow. I could sleep on most beds if I had my favorite pillow. When Mom and I drove across the country from San Diego I brought my own pillow. We've all got our own quirks!

"I was getting ready to say goodbye anyway, you want to help us get dinner ready?" she asked.

I nodded and we headed downstairs. "So, how's he doing?"

"Great. He just rented his tux. I can't believe that the prom is only two weeks away."

"Actually, less than two weeks," I answered with a smile.

Terri put us both to work. Cat worked on the salad while I cut up green beans.

"I saw you pause out in the yard, Erika, and I have an idea that I want to run by you. How'd you feel if we planted a tree or something in that spot? That way it could be a place for life and renewal instead of a place of bad memories," suggested Terri.

Mom and I were only renting the house. However, Sam liked the property and they'd decided to make an offer on it and that was fine with me. It really felt like home now. "That'd be really nice."

"Great! I'll talk to Jill and Sam when they get back, and we can pick something nice out."

We had a very pleasant dinner. Terri really enjoyed cooking, it wasn't a task to her, more a relaxation. We went for a walk after dinner. Our neighborhood bordered on a large wooded area. As we walked by we saw a couple of white-tailed deer run across the road ahead of us. I think I was the only one who found this cool. I was able to get a photo of them, before they ran back into the woods.

When we got home Mom called and told us that they'd gotten into Philadelphia. The trip was uneventful. She gave me the phone number of the hotel.

Later that evening Cat and I were sitting upstairs in her bedroom. The nice thing about our friendship was that anything was fair game. We could talk about anything and we knew that we could trust each other to keep it private.

"I think that if you win the scholarship that you should think about going to college outside of Golden Hill," suggested Cat.

"Why? Dewey's a great school, and I can keep my job."

"It has nothing to do with the quality of education at Dewey. You're sort of sheltered here. No one cares that you're TS. Personally, I know that is great, but we both know that it isn't necessarily the case elsewhere. It might be a good confidence builder to live elsewhere after you've had the surgery."

"That's something to think about." I liked the idea of living in Golden Hill, but I also wanted to see the world. My trip to New York City had whetted my appetite for traveling again.

"Anyway, you have plenty of time to think about it. I'd suggest you stay here until after your surgery. Does the idea of getting the operation concern you?" asked Cat.

"Yes, a bit - well, make that a lot! I know that it's pretty major surgery, and that things can go wrong. But it's also my only chance to become whole."

"I understand. I'd do it too, if I was in your shoes," she remarked. She then stared at my feet. "Although, not those shoes!"

Cat was referring to my bunny slippers. "Jealous?" I asked, as I held my feet out and wiggled them.

"You're the first person I've known to actually wear those. And to think, I actually thought you had class!" We both began to laugh.

I looked down at the slippers and spoke to them in a comforting voice. "Don't listen to her, girls."

"Oh, God! Don't tell me you actually named them? You really are deranged!"

"Of course I didn't name them; they already had names when I got them."

We both started laughing so hard that we were crying. Terri looked in to see what was going on.

"Mom... Erika's bunny slippers have... names!" Cat barely was able to speak due to laughing.

"That's nice, dear. Just as long as they're housebroken," replied Terri with a straight face.

Needless to say that Cat and I didn't get much sleep that night. Every time we almost calmed down, one of us starting giggling and making some silly joke. Still that night marked another milestone in my progression towards becoming whole. I knew that Cat totally accepted me as a girl and in many ways as a sister.

Chapter One-Hundred-Sixty-One

During lunch we talked about prom. Kristen had made dinner reservations for all eight of us. Our party would be Kristen and Alex, Tracy and Mike, Cat and Matt, and Laura and I. We'd invited Caroline and Paul, but they had already made other plans. They were going out with a group from the school paper. Kristen had also reserved a limo for the eight of us. She really wanted to make it a night to remember. Of all my friends Kristen would have enjoyed the trip to NYC the most. She loved style.

It was less than two weeks to the big event, and I was as caught up in it as any other girl at school. Many of the girls had picked up their dresses at the shop. I was pleased with the way I looked in mine. As I was still new to being a girl, I didn't think about making an appointment at the salon until Cat reminded me. Thankfully they were able to reserve me an appointment the morning of the prom.

I knew that some of the girls were still a little uneasy with Laura and I going together as a couple. No one said anything, but you could sense it. I still found it interesting that there was still some uneasiness over gay or lesbian dating, but none over the contestants dating guys. I was so happy to be going to the prom with Laura, knowing how much we were in love, that I didn't care what others thought.

After school I swung by the display and saw that no one had dropped out. It really looked like we were all going to make it to the end. We were all a bit curious about what the outcome would be.

While I was standing there, Ms. B came by and asked how I was doing.

"Good, thanks. I haven't gotten any more threatening letters. Maybe Marlene scared him off."

"I hope so, but I'd be shocked if he gave up so easily."

I stared at the pictures for a second, "You know, they don't even look like us anymore."

"Yes, you've all made some great strides since September. Even those who didn't make it this far have changed for the better."

"Not everyone," I added softly, referring to Jason, who had only been a contestant for a few days.

"True, but he was the exception."

I excused myself and headed to the parking lot to meet Cat and Laura. I thought about what Ms. B had said.

Chapter One-Hundred-Sixty-Two

I want to jump ahead to Tuesday evening. I went over to my house after dinner. After checking the mail and picking out my clothes for school Wednesday, I called Sandra Plummer, the woman I'd met in Spencer's the previous Friday. We had traded e-mails, and she said that she'd be home Tuesday evening.

I was a bit nervous when I first called her. I had so many questions, and I was afraid that she wouldn't want to hear them all. I know this was dumb. She'd contacted me because she wanted to help me.

I brewed up a mug of black spice chai tea and took out the phone number she'd given me. The phone rang a few times before she answered it. After the standard small talk we began to talk about real issues. I found that she had as many questions for me as I had for her, so we agreed to alternate. We also agreed that it was impossible to cover everything in one evening. She told me that she wanted us to become good friends.

"So, have you had the surgery?" I asked.

"Yes, I had it two years ago. I needed it to feel whole, although I know several girls who haven't had it and never plan to."

"I want to get it, I'm like you. I need to feel whole and I hate doing things half-way. So, do your friends there know that you're transgendered?"

"Hey, we agreed we alternate," she replied with a laugh.

"Sorry, I just have so much I want to know."

"No need to apologize. First, I am not the answer-lady. I can only tell you my own experiences. You'll need to find your own path. Now, I'll answer that last question but then it's my turn. I don't advertise the fact that I'm transgendered, but I don't lie to people either. I'm dating a man, and he knows that I was born male. I think that you need to tell anyone you date the truth."

"That makes sense."

"Okay, now it's my turn. When did you first know that you were TS?"

"Boy, you start off with a good one. I guess I'd had feelings when I was younger, but I hid them and forced them away. I guess growing up without a father I wanted to act as the man of the family. I forced myself to try to act as normally as possible, and fought any feelings that I was anything but a man. I even tried to convince myself that I'd entered the competition just for the scholarship. Soon I began to realize that it was much deeper, but I figured that I could hold it off. Then everything began to fall into place. I felt so comfortable and well... normal. I knew that I was different and that it was okay. Mom didn't hate me and my friends at school seemed to like me, and my gender didn't matter."

"So, did you know before you were attacked?"

"I forgot that you've talked to Ms. B. Yes, I knew before the assault. It just reinforced my decision. In fact, it made me feel better about myself."

"Why was that? Because it was more socially acceptable for a woman to be raped than a man?"

I was silent for a second. I was a little pissed about the question, but as I thought about it I could see that there was no malice intended. "Maybe. In some ways the attack reaffirmed me as a woman. I've felt a bit guilty for thinking that way."

"I'm sorry, Erika, that came across a bit heavier than I wanted to be. I know that you've been through a lot, and I don't want to bring up bad memories." From the tone of her voice I knew that she was sincere.

"It's okay. I've found that talking about it is better than keeping it locked inside. I did worry that some people would see my desire to transition as a result of the rape. Fortunately, I knew the truth, and it was clear to me that this was my right path in life. When my friend Caroline told me that she was TS and told me everything going through her mind, I knew that I was TS too. As she described her feelings, it was like she was reading my mind," I answered.

"Fair enough, okay your turn!"

I asked her about hormones and their effects on her. She was very detailed in her descriptions. I got excited thinking about it.

She then asked me about my plans for after school. I told her about wanting to become a teacher. She said that was great. I found out that Sandra worked in the state government. She worked on the staff of a state legislator.

After talking for over an hour, we called it quits for the night. I thanked her again, and we made an agreement to talk once a week.

Back over at Cat's house we talked about the conversation up in her room. I had changed into my pjs and Cat was in a pair of shorts and a large oversized t-shirt. Of course, I was wearing the bunny slippers, and no... they really didn't have names!

"So what's Sandra like?" asked Cat.

"Like an older version of you. She knows how to ask the right sort of question to make you think."

"I thought she looked intelligent!"

I tossed a pillow at her and she responded with a counterattack. That went on for several minutes and stopped only because we were laughing so hard.

Chapter One-Hundred-Sixty-Three

As usual Laura picked us up for school. The sky was dark and it looked like it would start raining any second. Laura was very interested in my conversation with Sandra, as she was with all aspects of my transition. We also talked a little about the sleepover at Cat's house.

We just got into school when it started to rain. The nice thing about San Diego was that the weather was so consistent, but, I'm not complaining, I liked the changes in seasons, although winter was on the bottom of my list.

Ms. B saw us as we walked in and she motioned me over to her. "Hi, Erika, I just wanted to let you know that there'll be a meeting at lunch today. I have an announcement to make."

"Okay, usual room?" I asked. I knew that asking about the reason for the meeting was pointless.

"Yes, see you there. By the way I got an e-mail from Sandra Plummer last night, and she really enjoyed talking with you."

"I like her a lot too," I replied. I had plenty of questions for Ms. B. "So, after graduation will I be initiated into the club?"

Ms. B just smiled and walked away.

I ran into Caroline and we talked about what might be the reason for the meeting. We'd both confirmed that no one had dropped out, so it couldn't be that. We'd figured that we would find out in a few hours.

By lunch it was raining even harder. They canceled all practices. However, Coach Chambers asked me to stick around and help her get caught up on the track admin. I agreed, plus it would give me a chance to talk to her.

We arrived at the meeting. Everyone showed up and was equally curious about the reason for the meeting. Denise's hair was back to blonde - make that white. She told us that the Downfall was booked through the summer. They even were going to play some places on the Jersey shore. They'd be the opening group, but she said it was a great start.

"So, do you think you'll go to college, or are you going to stay in the band?" I asked Denise.

"Good question. I want to study music, but playing in the band is so much fun. I just might ride this wave as long as it will take me. However, if I do win the scholarship, I'm not going to let it go to waste. There are plenty of wonderful music schools that I would love to attend."

I told her about the comments we'd heard in Spencer's about her and the band. She thought that was great. She commented that they had quite a following at Dewey.

Denise laughed. "I can't wait to tell the others in the band! They also kid me that I'm the most feminine member of the band!"

Ms. B walked in with another woman. She introduced her as Ms. Fuller and said that she was on the committee that oversaw the scholarship. Ms. Fuller looked to be in her forties; she was wearing a tailored suit and she had her hair up in a bun. She looked very professional, but a bit stern.

"Good afternoon, girls," Ms. Fuller greeted us. "First, I want to congratulate you on making this the most successful and interesting year of the scholarship contest. I believe that this class has set a new standard for all future classes. It'll be remembered as the year that the competition began to achieve the goals set by its founder."

I sat there waiting for what she was setting us up for. I doubted she'd come here just to give us a pep talk. I also wondered what she'd meant by her last comment.

"I want to say that you are all winners for making it this far. In accordance with the original bylaws set down by our founder, I need to make the following offer. If anyone wishes to drop out at this point, they will automatically receive a scholarship in the amount of $10,000.00, to be paid in installments not to exceed $2,500.00 a year. While we would like as many contestants as possible in the competition, we don't want someone to be miserable for their prom and graduation. If you wish to drop out now, you will be rewarded for making it this far."

There was dead silence in the room. I looked around the room at each contestant. Caroline just winked at me. Denise also made eye contact and winked at me, so I knew she was staying. Ann on the other hand had her head down, as did Lisa. I wondered what was going through their minds. Both were very competitive, but I knew how unhappy Lisa was. Then there was the enigma of Ann. I couldn't figure her out; sometimes I thought she was the third and then other times she seemed very indifferent to it all.

"Now, you don't have to make up your minds right now. The offer will stand for the rest of the year. I would like to meet with each of you this afternoon privately. Ms. Bell will give you the times. Again, thank you all for your wonderful effort."

As we walked out we were given a pass. Mine was during sixth period. I wondered what she had to say to me.

I tried to talk to Lisa, but she said that she didn't want to talk at the moment and that she'd call me that night. I gave her Cat's number.

During sixth period I went to my meeting with Ms. Fuller. The meeting was in Ms. B's office. When I arrived, she was talking to Ms. B. I was surprised to see them both laughing.

"Please sit down, Erika. It's a pleasure to meet you. Ms. Bell has been keeping us apprised of your progress. I just want to express the board's admiration for the way you've handled all the adversity that you have experienced."

"Thank you." I knew that our progress was being monitored, but it still made me feel a little uneasy.

"The reason I want to talk to you is that we're aware that you are presently in transition. We understand the financial hardship that this can cause, and we are prepared to assist. While we can't pay for the entire process, we have set up a loan that your family can apply for. It has a very low interest rate; in fact, if it's paid off in five years there's no interest. Your family will be receiving the application in the next week. I'll tell you that the application is strictly a legal formality, as you've been approved already."

I sat there stunned. I was totally speechless, and it took a few moments for her words to sink in.

"This is in addition to the scholarship?" I asked.

"Of course. We offer this to any contestant who is transgendered, even after they've graduated. Our founder who set up the contest understood that there would eventually be transgendered contestants. She felt that it wouldn't be right after we helped them find their true selves to abandon them and not help them become physically whole. Now we don't publicize this fact, and the contestants are only notified after they have been screened. We're not some secret organization bent on changing boys into girls. We're interested in helping people with gender issues become as whole as possible."

"I assume that I'll be required to keep quiet about this offer." Hanging around Cat all the time had improved my deductive reasoning.

"Ms. Bell said you were smart. Yes, part of the application is a requirement that you and your family keep silent about this offer. It could be easily misunderstood by less open-minded people. However, if we'd felt that we couldn't trust you then we wouldn't be making this offer."

"Thank you very much. This takes a huge weight off my back!" I gave her and Ms. B a big hug.

"Now there is one last thing, we will expect you someday to assist future contestants, much like Sandra Plummer. I don't think that will be a problem for you."

"Erika wants to teach high school when she graduates college, so she already wants to help others," interjected Ms. B.

"I would be honored to help future students," I added.

"Excellent! Well you'll be receiving the loan application in the mail next week and your family can call us with any questions." explained Ms. Fuller.

I thanked them again and headed back to Mr. Kline's room. I was walking three feet off the ground, as I was so happy.

Chapter One-Hundred-Sixty-Four

After school, I went to Coach's office to plug in track data. I was amazed by the amount of paperwork in track and field. Laura told me she'd meet me when I was done. She had to work on grad night and some final issues on the prom.

I went to work on the data entry. Coach was in and out of her office the first hour. During the second hour she sat at her desk and we had a chance to talk. Initially we just made small talk, but then we got into some deeper issues.

"I've asked other people this question and I still haven't a good answer. Why are people in this town so accepting of transgendered girls?" I asked as I entered in the high jump statistics.

"It has taken time to reach this level of acceptance. Each year we've made progress. First, we have a faculty that supports the contest and the contestants. We ensure that all students treat each other respectfully. Next, we've gotten important people in town to respond positively to the competition. Mrs. Lincoln initially pressured many businesses to give discounts, and they soon saw that they gained more business than they lost. We now have businesses applying to us to get into the program. The school helped by treating the contestants with respect. We don't design tasks to humiliate the contestants, and we have made every effort to make them a full part of campus life. When some girls like you came out as transgendered, it wasn't considered a big deal. The community has just had eighteen years to slowly change."

"Yet, there is still some uneasiness about gay and lesbian students here at Central," I remarked as I shifted to the relay team times.

"True, but it's improving. It takes time to change people's minds and attitudes. We've just gotten permission from the school board to set up a LGBT-Straight Student Alliance group for next year. I'll be the faculty advisor. I've been pushing for it for the past five years."

"Cool, they had a group like that at my old high school," I added. I checked the numbers before shifting to the sprint times.

"Were you a member?" she asked with a smile.

"No, I was too far in denial then," I answered truthfully.

"I expect that it'll take some time to build up a membership. But it will be worth it," she explained.

"While we are on the topic of the school attitudes towards gays and lesbians, do you think that there will be any backlash against Laura and I for going to the prom together?" I asked.

"No, I don't see it as problem for you two. First off, you have many great friends who love and support both of you. I imagine that there are some in school who may still see you as a boy, and are in denial about the two of you. Laura is also very respected in school. Still there are some who won't be pleased, but they might as well get used to it," she said.

"Do you think that there will be any other same-sex dates at the prom?" I asked.

"Excluding contestants, I don't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some in the coming year. Personally, I don't think that it'll be that big a deal after the initial shock wears off. But, I fully understand the fears of being made an outcast in school. In some ways you two may be trendsetters," she remarked.

"I appreciate your confidence in us!"

Just then there was a knock on the door and Laura walked in. "We got done early, anything I can do to help?" she asked.

We caught her up on the conversation. As expected, she was very interested in joining in discussion of the subject.

"I know some girls who are very uneasy about my sexuality. There are a few who feel that our going to the prom together will become a distraction and ruin their night." I liked the sarcastic tone in which she said 'ruin their night' like we weren't supposed to have fun too.

"I don't care about them, it's our night too!" I replied.

We also talked about the possibility of the Rev stirring things up. Coach felt that if he tried something it would be more sneaky and underhanded. "I think he might try something during graduation."

I hoped she was wrong. I just wanted to get on with my life, and I didn't want to be a distraction.

Chapter One-Hundred-Sixty-Five

We met Cat, Caroline, and Paul at Guido's. We talked about school and the prom. Caroline and I brought up the buyout offer.

"Do you think anyone will take it?" asked Paul.

"Maybe, I know that Lisa isn't that happy," I replied.

"Ann's a hard read too," added Caroline.

"What about Denise?" asked Paul.

"I used to think that she was just doing it as a goof, but I'm not so sure now. She has become really focused, and she's really serious about her music. I think the competition has really helped her. I'd be shocked if she dropped out," noted Caroline.

I wondered if Denise was the third. It didn't seem as shocking an idea as before.

The only other thing of note that night was that Lisa didn't call. I hesitated about calling her, and when I did, her mom said that she didn't want to talk right now. I understood and told her mom to pass on that I would support her decision either way.

Chapter One-Hundred-Sixty-Six

Thursday arrived with a continuation of the rain. The weather guessers said that it was supposed to start clearing up late that night. I kinda dreaded going to school, only because I expected to see our numbers decreased. As usual I had mixed feelings about the buyout offer. I thought it was cool that everyone still in the contest would get something. But I also felt a loss for each candidate who quit. Still, I should know how important it is to be true to yourself and not worry what others think. I'd still miss them.

It wasn't a good sign as I approached the display case and saw that it was open. They were rearranging the remaining pictures. I then saw that Ann's picture was missing. It hit me that I didn't even know her male name. I was pleased to see that Lisa's picture was still there, as was Denise's photo. So we were now down to four.

Between the weather and the fact that we'd lost another contestant, I was feeling a bit down. I arrived in homeroom and told Cat that Ann was out.

"So what's Ann's male name?" I asked Cat.

"It's Andrew," answered Cat. "I'm amazed that he lasted this long."

I hadn't been that social with Ann, and I can't even say that she was a friend; if it wasn't for the competition I wouldn't even know her, I mean him. Still, to go this long and then drop out was a bit sad.

"Don't get too down, after all he did get a pretty good scholarship," added Cat.

"I know." That also narrowed the possibilities for the third. Was it Denise or Lisa?

Work was fun that night. Even with the rain we were busy. Mel said that she wanted to show me something when the crowds slacked off.

"I bought this on an Internet auction website," she told me, as held out a black and white photo. It was a publicity shot from the movie we'd seen Mrs. Lincoln in. The photo was from the scene in the bar, and it showed both Mrs. Lincoln and Violet.

"This is really cool. How much did it cost?" I asked.

"Only a few dollars," smiled Mel. "The shipping cost more."

"So, what are you going to do with it?" I asked.

"I want to give it to Mrs. Lincoln, but I'm afraid that she might take it the wrong way. I don't want her to think that I'm making fun of her."

"I think that she'll know that you mean well and that it's because you think well of her," I said.

"When does your mom get back from Philly?" she asked.

"Either Saturday or Sunday. They might be delayed due to the weather."

"How's it going with his family?" asked Mel.

"From what she told me, pretty good. Apparently Sam's family is very excited about the wedding, and they don't mind the trip way up here."

"Way up here? You make it sound like we're in the middle of nowhere!" replied Mel with mock indignation.

"According to Sam, they think he lives in the wilderness. I used to think that this town was in the middle of nowhere myself."

"Ahhh... but now you know differently."

"Yes, we're just south of nowhere," I replied with a laugh.

"How do they feel about you?" asked Mel.

"From what Mom has told me, they're anxious to meet me," I replied.

"That's good."

Mel decided to get the photo framed before she gave it to Mrs. Lincoln. The rest of the night was dead, and I think we had one customer the last hour. It was raining even harder than before, and it looked like it had no intention of stopping soon.

I was careful driving home and pulled into our driveway. Between our houses there was a small river flowing. After I checked our mail and grabbed my clothes, I took the long way over to Cat's. I was afraid that I'd sink down if I tried the short cut. I was just about to Cat's house when I looked over and saw something white near the spot where Jason had attacked me. I couldn't quite make it out.

When I arrived at Cat's house, I asked Terri if they had a flashlight. I told her about seeing something between our homes. She got the flashlight and put on her rain gear. Cat joined us and we went out. There was a white sign posted. We couldn't read it, but I got a sickening feeling in my stomach. Terri waded over and looked at the message. She came back and said that she was going to call the police.

"What does it say?" I asked.

"Something to the effect that on this spot an innocent young man was framed," she answered in a disgusted tone.

I could tell by her voice that she was leaving something out. I knew that it must have been something nasty about me.

The police said that they'd be out shortly. While we waited, she called Mom and Sam down in Philly.

The police arrived, and after taking some photographs, they took the sign down. They said they would hold it as evidence and told us to call if there were further problems. I liked the way they kept it low key, so that there would be little publicity.

I was more angry than scared. To me it was a cowardly act. It takes a really brave person to sneak into someone's yard in a storm to post an insulting sign. Sam and Mom talked to me and I assured them I was okay. Sam said he would call Marlene and tell her what'd happened.

We sat around the table and talked for a while. I had tea while Terri and Cat drank coffee. They shared my sense of outrage about the juvenile nature of the crime. I wondered if the person who had done it was the Rev or one of his followers. I hoped that it wasn't anyone from our town.

Terri told me all of what the sign said. It had gone on to say that I was a perverted freak of nature. I said I was disappointed, as I'd expected him to be more creative.

"What did you say?" asked Cat.

"It's the same exact thing that the Rev called me in all three letters," I said.

"Sounds like a connection to me," replied Sherlock Cat.

She was right. We emailed Marlene with out latest discovery. An hour later we got a reply. She said that it sounded like his sort of tactic. She told us not to worry.

Chapter One-Hundred-Sixty-Seven

Apparently I was the only target of the Rev that night. As promised, they kept it out of the papers. I was pleased because if it was publicity he was seeking, he'd be disappointed. The police stepped up patrols in our neighborhood. That made us all feel a little better. However, I put my worries behind me, as I was looking forward to the sleepover at Cat's that night.

Cat had decided to make it a bigger party and had also invited Kristen, Tracy, and Caroline. Tracey had to pull out, as she had to go out of town for a funeral. She seemed very disappointed. Cat told the rest to come over around 8:00PM.

I helped her get ready. Cat could tell that I was a bit nervous and told me not to worry, that I was considered one of the girls.

It was still a bit cool at night, so I could still wear my pjs. Cat cringed when I told her I was wearing the bunny slippers. By 8:30 everyone was there. Everyone changed into their pjs. Kristen liked my slippers, and I asked her to point this out to Cat.

We ordered in pizza, and Terri was very patient with our noise level. I told her that she could sleep in my house that night, and she smiled and said she'd consider it.

Laura suggested that we play "Truth or Dare" and everyone reluctantly went along with her idea. Cat was up first and she selected truth.

"What's one thing that you've never told your mom?" asked Kristen.

Cat thought for a second and leaned over towards us and spoke in a low tone. "Well... she doesn't know about this." She then turned around and pulled down her shorts to expose one of her butt cheeks. There on the right check was a little tattoo of Curious George.

We all broke out laughing. "When did you get that?" asked Laura.

"When I was down in Harrisburg for the crime lab trip. I was sharing a room with a college girl, and we went out with her friends. We all got tattoos. I always liked Curious George. Besides, I'm legal. You just have to be eighteen or older."

It was a pretty cute tattoo. We talked about whether the rest of us would get one. We had different opinions on the idea. Caroline said she would, especially if she ever got a comic strip published. Laura also said that she'd get one. Kristen was dead against the idea. I said that it would have to be something very special.

"Coach Chambers has two tattoos. She has a tiny wing on the outside of each ankle. She said she got them when she ran cross-country," I added.

"That's cool, just like Mercury!" noted Caroline.

"I guess George isn't all that curious anymore!" wisecracked Laura, and we all starting laughing again.

I was up next. I selected dare, and I could tell that Laura had something planned.

"Okay, Erika, here it is, you have to wear this the rest of the night," said Laura, as she handed me a black lace nightie, panty, and a matching negligee.

"They don't match my slippers!" I grumbled.

"Those are gorgeous, Laura, where did you get them," asked Cat.

"From my mom's stuff, she won't miss them," answered Laura.

To be a good sport, I went into the bathroom and changed. It wasn't too revealing. I had to admit that it did feel nice. I slipped on the robe and went back out. I got plenty of whistles and was made to turn around for everyone.

Laura couldn't take her eyes off me. The girls were interested in Caroline's and my breasts. I didn't mind showing them what I had, being they were still so small. Yet they could all see some swelling and growth. Caroline was a bit more shy but she also showed hers. They were about the same size as mine.

"So, you only raided your mom's stuff just for Erika? And I thought we were friends!" joked Kristen.

"I never said that," answered Laura. "I brought stuff for everyone!"

She pulled a whole bunch of lingerie out of her bag and passed it around. I wasn't sure what I should do as the others changed. I started to get up to leave when Cat and the others stopped me.

"It's no big deal, Erika. We trust you!" remarked Cat. "The same goes for you, Caroline. We're all girls here!"

The others nodded in agreement and I was immediately choked up with emotion. I noticed that Caroline was also fighting back tears.

Soon we were all dressed much more sexily than before. And before any of you get evil thoughts, that's as far as we went. Sorry, no teenage orgies.

Most of the stuff she'd brought was sexy in a classy manner. She also told us that she did ask permission to borrow the stuff.

We totally forgot about the rest of the game. I think that Laura brought out the rest of the stuff so that she wouldn't have a turn. But I didn't mind, as she looked so hot in her teddy and robe.

We stayed up very late talking about topics ranging from the prom to college. I felt so close to them, and we all knew that we'd stay in touch even after we headed off into our adult lives. I think we all fell asleep sometime around three.

Chapter One-Hundred-Sixty-Eight

In the morning Terri made us a great breakfast. Of course we changed before going downstairs. I had to admit that it had initially been difficult to fall asleep. I'd found myself caressing my nipples in the dark through the silky material. I'm sure Laura had that in mind when she selected the outfit for me.

I also looked out between our yards, and was relieved to see that there was nothing there. I hoped that it had been a one-time event.

I went over to the house and checked my e-mail. There were a few from Marlene, and one from Sandra.

Marlene said that it looked like the Rev was responsible. There was a posting on his website showing the sign. She also said that she'd be back in town the weekend of the prom, just in case something happened.

I got a call from Mom. She told me that they were on their way back and that they should get home late that evening. She was calling from the car and said they were presently passing Lansdale on the PA Turnpike heading north, which meant absolutely nothing to me. I had to check the map to see that Lansdale is a town north of Philadelphia. I told them to have a safe trip and that I was looking forward to seeing them soon.

I went back to my paper. I was on my third rewrite. Terri had been reviewing my paper for grammar and spelling mistakes. I still made a lot, and it bothered me. Laura called later in the afternoon and asked if I wanted to go to the movies. She said that she had already talked to Cat. I told her yes, and I went back over to Cat's house.

"Do you think they'll be home tonight?" asked Terri.

"From what Mom said they will," I answered.

"If they stop, you're more than welcome to spend the night here again," offered Terri.

"Thanks," I replied. I had already taken my stuff home, but it was nice knowing that I wouldn't have to be alone.

We had a great time that afternoon. The movie was okay and afterwards we went to the Chinese restaurant in the mall. We called up and invited Kristen, Alex, Paul, and Caroline. I love going to a Chinese restaurant with a big group. I was pleased to see Mike with Kristen and Alex. He said it was strange having a weekend without Tracey.

We all ordered different things so we could share. We talked more about the prom. The guys were moaning about the cost. Laura told them they could always split the costs like we were doing.

It was also a bit obvious that Mike was flirting with me all night. I thought it was just me at first, but Laura noticed it too. It's not like I wasn't flattered, but I wasn't about to cheat on Laura, and I liked Tracey too much. I tried to ignore it and avoid anyone getting the wrong impression.

On the way home, Laura asked me if I found him attractive.

"Yes, I do," I answered honestly.

"Good, I'm glad you didn't lie," noted Laura. "I know you like boys, and if I did too I'd probably find Mike hot myself."

"So, you don't mind boys finding you attractive?" asked Cat.

"No, not anymore. I guess it's a validation that I'm doing this right," I answered.

"Hypothetical question for you, Erika," asked Laura. "Assuming the unthinkable happens and we are no longer a couple, and you met a guy who was obviously hot for you, would you tell him that you were TS?"

"Hypothetical huh? Well, are you talking about before or after my surgery?" I asked.

"Both," interjected Cat with a sly smile.

"Before the surgery I would definitely tell him, and for that matter even after the surgery," I answered.

"Well, what if you knew that it would be a one night stand and that you'd never see him again?" asked Laura.

"Same answer. If he really loved me it wouldn't matter. Besides after being accused of deceiving someone, I've had a lot of time to think about this sort of thing."

"That's true," said Laura.

"So, if both you and Mike were free and available, would you go out with him?" asked Cat.

"I guess so. He's fun to be around and he's cute too," I answered.

"So, race wouldn't be a problem?" asked Cat.

"No, back in San Diego interracial dating is no big deal for most people, at least it wasn't at my school," I replied.

"So, basically if it's breathing then it's fair game for you?" asked Cat.

"Yes, being a bisexual and open-minded makes almost everyone a potential date," I answered laughing.

"Too bad you aren't from West Virginia, then you could include your kin in that mix," laughed Laura.

"Then she wouldn't be open minded!" added Cat laughing.

"Kin?" I asked.

"It's okay, my whole Mom's whole side of the family is from there, and they've told me the best West Virginia jokes," explained Laura.

"Seriously, what is the attitude on interracial dating around here?" I asked

"To be honest, it's never been a big issue, because we haven't had a huge number of minorities," explained Cat. "I don't think that it would be a big problem in school."

"So my turn to ask a question, would either of you date someone who is a different race?" I asked.

"I don't have a problem with it," replied Cat.

"I'm not picky, you should both know that," smiled Laura.

"I think we've just been insulted," I said to Cat.

"I know we've just been insulted," agreed Cat.

We all began to laugh.

We went back to my house; they both said they'd stay with me until Mom and Sam came back. I showed them the movie with Mrs. Lincoln in it. They were both impressed.

A little after 9:30, we heard Sam's car pull into the driveway. It was good to see Mom and Sam again. Yes, I know that they were only gone a week, but I missed them! Cat, Laura, and I helped them bring their bags in. After they got settled Cat and Laura left. I thanked Cat for being such a great hostess, and I gave Laura a nice long kiss.

Chapter One-Hundred-Sixty-Nine

Sam, Mom, and I sat down at the kitchen table. Their first concern was the Rev and his minor act of vandalism. Sam said that he had called the police and they'd told him that there wasn't much they could do. Still, the sign made it clear that it wasn't over.

I was more concerned about Mom's visit with Sam's family. She said that they were all wonderful and had treated her very nicely. Sam said that he was amazed how well behaved they'd been, and Mom punched him in the arm.

"So I guess the million dollar question is how did they react to you having a seventeen-year-old daughter?" I asked.

"Damm! I knew there was something we forgot to bring up!" exclaimed Sam with a smile.

"He gets a bit weird when he's been driving all day, doesn't he?" Mom teased. "They seemed very anxious to meet you."

"Did you tell them everything?" I asked

"Of course. There's no reason to keep it secret," added Mom.

Sam decided to let us talk and said he was going to bed. He kissed us both good night and went upstairs.

"So, it really went well?" I got up and put the kettle on.

"Better that you can imagine. Sam's family already knew all about you."

"When did he tell them?" I opened the tea box and took out a bag of black spice chai tea. Mom saw my choice and nodded.

"He talks to his sister all the time about cases. She works in the Philly DA's office, and she became very interested in your case. So, when he told them how he'd met me, there was no sense in hiding the truth."

"Tell me more about his family." The kettle was about to come to a boil. I always put my sugar in my mug before I pour in the water. Then I wait at least five minutes until I take out the bag. Taking it out too soon is a crime.

Mom then went over Sam's immediate family. His father was a retired Philadelphia policeman, and his mother had always been a housewife, and they now lived in New Jersey. Sam's older sister, Carla, worked as an assistant DA in Philadelphia. She's married and has two kids. He also had a younger brother named Brett, who'd just made detective in the Philadelphia PD. Brett was divorced and had no kids.

"Do you have a scorecard for me?" I asked. I added milk to my tea. The tea was very good. I think tea tastes better when there is good conversation to go along with it. Vanilla wafers also help!

"I won't even go into all his cousins and other relatives. I got lost after he introduced me to his three aunts at dinner. It will take some getting used to this sudden expansion of family. They are very close, and they're all fond of Sam."

"And meanwhile our real family doesn't even acknowledge my existence," I replied sadly.

"Well, that's not all because of you. I never was all that popular with most of them."

"Why? Because of me coming along?" I asked.

"I guess it's time to discuss this. Why don't you make us each another mug of tea, and we'll have a talk," announced Mom.

I did as she said, and when they were ready she began to tell me some things from her past and mine.

"First off, I've never lied to you about anything. I have just left out some parts until I felt you were ready. What I told you about your father was true. We did date and he did dump me when I got pregnant. He wanted to stay with me, but he didn't want me to have a baby. He offered to pay for an abortion and I refused; then he suggested that I put you up for adoption. I couldn't do that either. I instantly fell in love with you and couldn't bear the thought of someone else raising you."

I took a long sip of tea and let her words sink in.

"When I'd met him, I was working as a waitress in a strip joint. I got the job after my first year in college. I never danced or took off my clothes, even though I had the opportunity. The job paid really well, and it worked with my hours in school. My family was upset that I worked in a place like that and felt I should get a more 'respectable' job. The problem with the 'respectable jobs' was that their hours wouldn't allow me to go to college. They also paid much less money. So, I did what I thought was right."

I took another sip of my tea.

"I met your father while I was working there. He was on the football team and they came in a couple of times a week. I guess I became star struck, and I failed to see what a jerk he was until he walked away from me. I moved back home and worked out a schedule to go to school, work, and raise you. The family wasn't pleased and thought that I never should have tried to raise you. I was barely twenty when you were born, and I didn't have a husband, so in their eyes I was immoral."

I could hear the bitterness in her voice. It made me angry to hear how mean they'd been to her.

"I guess that they also looked at my behavior in high school. I hung out with a wild crowd. They were my friends and some of them led less than model lives. I know that some were into drugs, and I mean the heavy stuff. After high school some of them had some real problems. I knew that if I failed to get through college I'd end up like them," continued Mom.

"So that's why you are so anti-drug?" I asked.

Mom nodded. "I had a friend in school who was as close to me as you are with Cat. One night she invited me to go clubbing with her; I turned her down because I couldn't skip work. She died that night in a car crash. Three other girls, all very close friends, including the driver, also died in the accident. The Highway Patrol said that they'd all been drinking and that the post mortems showed that they'd also used drugs. If I hadn't been working that night, I might have been in that car with them."

"Karma," I said softly, referring to her working that night.

"Maybe. I still carried around a lot of guilt for years. Between the accident and you arriving, my life was really turned around for the better." She then paused for a moment and then spoke softly. "I still think about them... it was such a waste."

We sat there in silence for a few moments. "Did you ever use drugs?"

Mom paused for a moment and looked me in the eyes. "Yes. I smoked pot, and I tried a few other things, but never again after that night. Their deaths scared me away from drugs."

There was a very loud silence in the room. We sat there for a long time soaking it in.

"So.... all of this combined to make our family feel that you weren't worthy of their affection?"

"I think they were further bothered by the fact that I had the nerve to graduate college and move up in life. The fact that I moved away to take a better job upset them too. Your transition was just the final straw, it gave them a solid reason to cut ties."

"Thank you for telling me all this. I love you even more, if that's even possible!"

We hugged and both of us cried softly. We held onto each other for what seemed like hours. I was so proud of her and how she'd made her life better by overcoming adversity.

"I think that's enough family history for tonight. I need to go to bed," noted Mom.

We said good night and we walked upstairs together. We hugged one last time before we went into our rooms. I was so happy that she and Sam were together. They deserved each other and deserved a happy life together. I really understood Mom better now.

Chapter One-Hundred-Seventy

As usual I was the first one up and was enjoying the paper at the kitchen table. I had the coffeepot ready to go for Sam. The feeder only had a few birds. They were small and brown, and most likely some sort of sparrow. I thought about last night and the prospect of becoming part of a large loving family. The idea was very appealing.

I read the local paper first. It usually didn't take that long to go through it. I always saved the NY Times for last. I looked in the editorial section and, to my horror, there was a letter from the Rev. He claimed that Jason had gotten an unfair trial, and that Jason was the victim of an immoral conspiracy, and that he'd been deceived by a deviate. The letter went on to say how he would stage a protest the week before graduation. He said that he promised to disrupt the town unless Jason was given a new trial. I looked at it and felt my rage growing. I went upstairs and e-mailed Marlene and asked her if she wanted me to mail the article to her or save it until she arrived for prom. By contacting Marlene, I felt like I was doing something.

As I went back downstairs, I heard Mom and Sam stirring. I turned on the coffee maker and the kitchen was soon filled with the aroma of fresh brewed coffee. I did like the smell, but I wasn't tempted to go over to the dark side and actually drink it!

I looked at the Rev's letter and wondered how many people would believe his lies. This was a time when life needed a fast-forward button like those on VCRs. I wanted to shift forward to see the response of the town. I figured that there'd be responses in the paper by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. I actually hoped that maybe everyone had skipped the editorials that day.

Sam came down first and after greeting him I showed him the letter to the editor. He read it while he filled his mug with coffee. He drank it straight, no cream or sugar.

"I've already e-mailed Marlene about it. I needed to do something," I announced.

Sam nodded in approval. "Well, if he stages a protest in town he'll need a permit from city hall. They'll tell me if he does that. If he fails to get the permit, then the police can arrest him."

"How much do the permits cost?" I asked.

"No charge. They only exist so the police can plan crowd control. They also limit where he can hold his protest. Town laws require that all protests must be off school property and cannot disrupt school activities. That was put in place during the Vietnam War. The mayor at the time was worried about campus protests, and the law has never been changed."

"What will happen if he applies for the permit?" I asked.

"He'll get it. He does have a constitutional right to stage a peaceful legal gathering," replied Sam.

"Thanks for the civics lesson," I said with a smile. "Can't you do something?"

"I'm only the DA, not the Attorney General," replied the Sam with a smile.

Mom came down and we caught her up on what was going on. What really got me through all this was the fact that I had such great support from my family and friends.

"So why is he attacking me on the issue of the rape, and not because of my being TS, which is obviously the real reason for his actions?" I asked.

"He can't, it would be a violation of state law. So by protesting that this is just a case of criminal injustice, he can skirt his real issue without breaking the law and he also avoids a civil rights law suit," explained Sam.

"I'm not sure who I hate more right now," I replied.

As we ate breakfast, we discussed our strategy. I'd have preferred to hear about their trip, but first things come first. Just as we were cleaning up, Marlene called. She talked to Sam for nearly thirty minutes. I got to talk to her afterwards.

"Don't worry too much, I know you want this to just go away, but like all plagues this one will pass," she remarked.

"How bad will it get?" I asked.

"That's up to him. If he holds his little rally and fails to gain any support, he may just move on. These guys hate to dwell on their defeats. I'm working with some groups to conduct a counter-rally. If we can make a strong showing, he'll shift to an easier target. I don't think he knows how tough you are."

"I wish I knew myself."

"Look, Erika, I've been involved in many such cases, and I know that you can get through this."

"Thanks. I just don't want to cause any problems."

"YOU aren't causing the problems, HE is. You, Erika, are just defending yourself, remember that," she stated firmly.

She needed to speak to Sam again. This was a like a bad dream that keeps repeating. However, I wasn't going to repeat my mistakes and try to do this all on my own.

I went upstairs to get ready for work. I looked at my scar and it was barely noticeable. Too bad the rest of this wouldn't fade away. I was surprised that they were still on the phone when I came down. I was wearing a sleeveless spring dress and sandals. I didn't mind wearing dresses, now that the weather was warmer.

Mom said goodbye and hung up the phone. She let out a loud sigh.

"So what's the plan?" I asked.

"Wait and see for now. Marlene is organizing groups in support of you, but the next move is his," remarked Mom.

"What about replying to his letter?" I asked.

"She said that she'd draft a reply and send it in today, we'll get a copy by e-mail," added Sam.

"Cool."

"I know this may sound corny, but have faith in the people of this community to do the right thing," continued Sam.

"I will. I just wish that he'd come out in the open and fight fair."

"It's not his style, or of those like him."

Mom let me borrow the car to go to work. I turned down their offer of a ride; I wanted them to relax at home.

Chapter One-Hundred-Seventy-One

Work went really well, it was like a five-hour vacation from my problems. Cindy kept me busy so that I didn't have time to think about the Rev. Mel told me that the guys in the leather store said to call them immediately if he showed up here in the store. I thanked her but said that was very unlikely.

We stayed pretty busy all day. Girls were coming in to pick up their prom dresses, and we were getting more people in looking for outfits for weddings. I wanted to concentrate on school, prom, and my future, but I kept thinking about the Rev and his tactics.

As I approached my house, I saw a beat-up, old, white camper drive by in the other lane. It seemed out of place for this area. I couldn't make out the plates, but they weren't from PA. When I reached our house, I saw a white box sticking out of the mailbox. I immediately pulled into the driveway and ran in the house. Sam came out and looked at it, then left it alone and called the police.

"What can you remember about the camper?" asked Sam.

"It was a white pickup with a camper top. It was an old truck. I think it was a Ford. The plates weren't Pennsylvanian. That's what caught my attention, but I didn't look at them all that close," I explained.

The box was a white shoebox tied closed with string. Sam felt that it wasn't dangerous, but he saw no need to take chances.

The police arrived and, after examining the box carefully, they removed it from the mailbox. They opened it up and called Sam over to see inside. I'd hoped that it was a false alarm, but judging by his expression I could tell that the Rev had struck again.

"May I see?" I yelled. I was standing up by the front door with Mom, Cat and Terri.

Sam waved us down, "Just don't touch it."

Inside the box was a male action figure doll in a dress. There was a sign attached to it saying, "I'm Eric the lying freak!" and a card saying, "Save your soul and tell the truth! Free Jason!"

"This is pretty sick and pathetic. It's like being harassed by some six-year-old kids!" I stated angrily.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I turned to see Officer Tom Bell, "You okay, kid?" he asked.

"Yes, thanks, I'm just really pissed." I was glad to see him on this case.

"I put out a description of the truck; if we find it, we'll question the driver," announced Tom.

"Great, I appreciate that. I would like copies of the photos of this sent to my office in the morning," stated Sam.

"Will do, sir," replied Tom.

We walked back in the house. So far it was just annoying. He really hadn't done anything all that illegal, and we weren't even sure it was The Rev. Sam was grilling dinner and Mom had invited Cat and Terri over. I would have called Laura, but I knew she was having dinner with her family.

Thankfully dinner was very good, and being surrounded by friends and family made me feel very safe and secure.

Chapter One-Hundred-Seventy-Two

School was very exciting. Prom fever was running through the school and almost every senior girl had a bad case of it, including yours truly. I did talk with Ms. B about the latest incident. She told me that I shouldn't worry as I had so many people in my corner.

Lisa was still in the program and seemed to be less moody. She told me that she was looking forward to the prom. Even Denise seemed to be looking forward to the prom. I asked her if she had a date, and she told me that she was going with the bass player from the Downfall. I couldn't remember what she looked like, but I was sure that they'd be the two most interesting persons at the prom.

At lunch we all were talking about the prom. Tracey still wasn't back from the funeral; Kristen said that they were returning late the next day. Laura was really getting fed up with all the BS associated with planning the prom and grad night. She had a meeting every day after school. She felt it was overkill and that if everyone just did their jobs, there wouldn't be a need for so many meetings.

"Mom says the same thing about her job," I remarked.

Kristen confirmed that everything was set for our dinner and the limo. We were all going to meet at her house, and the limo would pick us up there. It was all pretty exciting.

The rest of the day passed without incident. I walked home with Cat, as Laura had her meeting to attend. I would have stuck around, but I needed to get home for work. It also gave me a chance to talk with Cat.

"When is Matt arriving?" I asked.

"Thursday night. He was going to get a hotel room, but I arranged for him to stay over at Alex's place. They have a guest room in the upstairs part of the barn next to Alex's room," explained Cat. That would work out well as Alex was throwing a post-prom party.

"I can't wait until Saturday night. I'm shocked at how much I'm getting into this whole prom thing," I exclaimed.

"I still remember your shock and horror when I first called you Erika, and now you can't wait to be all dolled up for the senior prom," joked Cat.

"I know, it's been a very enlightening year."

"Just remember when you sell your life story to Hollywood, I get to pick who plays me," smiled Cat.

"I just hope that there's a happy ending."

"There will be. I don't see it happening any other way." Her confidence was very reassuring.

Chapter One-Hundred-Seventy-Three

I got home from work just in time to join Sam and Mom for dinner. Mom had just beat me home, and Sam had cooked dinner for us. He was actually a pretty good cook.

"So what's for dinner? It smells really good."

"Beef stew, old family recipe," he answered.

It tasted as good as it smelled.

"Any news on the Rev?" I asked.

"No. I called Marlene, and she's very interested in seeing the photos of the doll. She got a very interesting phone call from Martin Turner. He said that neither he nor Jason has any thing to do with what is happening, and that he wanted to reassure her that they don't support the Rev's actions. In fact, they've sent a letter to the paper stating this. If he's telling the truth, then it'll hurt the Rev a lot."

"Why would Jason do that?" I asked. Sam had also baked some biscuits, and I was putting some butter and honey on one.

"It works well in his favor. By not supporting the Rev, he'll look better to the parole board," explained Sam.

"Do you think that they'll remember that in twenty years?" I asked. I took a bite of the biscuit and it was excellent.

"If he stays clean and avoids problems, it won't hurt him," added Sam. "There's no way that the case will be reviewed. Even Martin Turner refused to appeal the case."

"There's a name that I hoped never to hear again."

The biscuit was very good and I decided to splurge and have a second one.

"I know he isn't top on your list, but he is a good attorney. If there was even a slight chance of an appeal succeeding, he would have filed. I think he's glad that Jason didn't get a stiffer sentence."

"I don't question his legal skills, just his sense of morality."

"Changing the subject, we need to tell you some happier news," said Mom. "We filed your name change paper work today."

"Really? That's great! So what is my new name going to be?" I asked anxiously.

"The adoption papers are still being processed, so you last name will still be Walters for now, and of course your first name will be Erika," said Mom.

"And my middle name?" I asked.

"I want to tell you the reason first. I have decided to give you the name of my best friend who I told you about the other night. So you'll be Erika Jean Walters, until the wedding. What do you think?" asked Mom.

"Sounds lovely, although I can't wait until it is Erika Jean Warren! I'm honored that you're giving me the name of your best friend," I said, and I got up and gave them both a hug.

During dessert I told them about the loan for my surgery. I'd forgotten to tell them earlier due to all the crap with the Rev. Sam said that it sounded too good to be true, but he'd review the paperwork when it arrived. He said that if it was as good as advertised then we should consider it.

Chapter One-Hundred-Seventy-Four

I checked Tuesday's paper and didn't see any replies to the Rev's letter. I figured that I'd see some in tomorrow's paper. I was looking forward to talking to Jenny that afternoon. I had much that I needed to discuss and a few things I wanted to vent. My biggest fear was that I'd have another episode brought on by the stress of the Rev. I didn't want to screw up the prom or graduation.

I was also looking forward to my weekly chat with Sandra. Mom was very happy that I had a successful TS woman I could talk to, and impressed with the support group that the scholarship committee had formed.

School was a breeze. I haven't talked a lot about my grades. I was a pretty solid B student at my old high school. I'd never taken the extra effort to push for higher grades. That all changed at Central High. My first term grades were excellent and I'd ended up with five A's and a B. This semester I was looking at all A's. I'd never cared about something like that before. I only wished that I'd become more motivated earlier. I'm not totally sure about why my grades were so much better. Maybe it was due to growing up or because of the move, or maybe it was due to being at ease with myself. Whatever the reason, I was proud of my new higher academic standing.

Laura drove me; she said that she wouldn't miss our post therapy cappuccinos.

I had a good session with Jenny. I told her all about the Rev's tactics. I suspected that she already knew but she didn't let on. I also expressed my fears about prom and graduation. She did a good job in easing my fears, telling me that I wasn't at fault for this. So many people had told me this, yet I still had a feeling that it was my fault. Stupid? Yes, but that's why they are called irrational fears.

Afterwards at Spencer's, I had my usual the key lime pie and cappuccino. I was beginning to think that they saved me a slice knowing where I was coming from. Laura shifted to cheesecake with raspberries on top. I tried a piece and it was very good.

"You know you've now been on hormones for six weeks!" Laura reminded me.

"Wow, you're right." I took a bite of the key lime pie.

"How do you feel?" asked Laura.

"Good," I answered with a big smile on my face.

"I thought you'd like the outfit I picked out for you at the sleepover. I imagine that it felt nice against your budding nipples," whispered Laura.

I smiled and giggled. "It felt very nice."

We finished our treat and went for a walk around the campus area. The weather was nice and there was a feeling that summer wasn't too far away. I longed to just lie in the sun. I wasn't really into sunbathing, I just wanted to feel the warmth on my changing body. Laura kidded me about helping me pick out my first bathing suit. It was so much fun to just have a regular conversation with my girlfriend.

Chapter One-Hundred-Seventy-Five

I called Sandra around 8:00. We'd been trading e-mails, so she knew all about the Rev. I also told her that my name change paperwork had been filed.

"That is a huge step. I'm very happy for you. So what do you want to talk about tonight?" she asked.

"How do you handle your identity? I mean you said that you tell people that you date, but do you still see yourself as transgendered or as female? This isn't coming out the way I want it to," I asked.

"I think I know what you mean. I don't wear the label "transsexual" on my lapel. I'm not ashamed of who and what I am. But I'm not an activist either. I do have friends who are very public about being TS and that's right for them. I'm mainstream, but I don't lie either. My boss and coworkers know about me, and they are comfortable with me. I'm TS, but it isn't my entire identity. I believe I can best help our cause by showing that a TS can function normally and without a lot of fanfare. This doesn't mean that I don't stand up for my rights. Mainstream doesn't mean doormat. Does that make sense to you?"

"Yes, it does. I'm torn between wanting to be just accepted as a woman, and at the same time I want to stand up to intolerance."

"You can do both," she answered.

We talked for another hour or so. Many of the questions were related to the changes that I was beginning to notice. It was nice knowing someone who could get me through the rough parts and prepare me for what was happening. She gave me a few good websites to look at for both hormones and surgery.

"I have one last question, do you have any regrets on getting the surgery?" I asked

"Only that I didn't get it sooner. It's not a cure-all, but it did give me a sense of wholeness. Don't look at it as the end of the journey, but as another step. We can talk more about this next time. Have a great time at the prom!"

We agreed to the talk next week and we said goodbye.

Chapter One-Hundred-Seventy-Six

Wednesday's paper had the first responses to the Rev. Now our paper always tried to show balance in the editorial and letters section, so I knew that I should look at content instead of numbers. I was pleasantly surprised by the letters; almost all were in support of me.

I was pleased to see they'd printed both Marlene's and Martin Turner's responses. Martin's was more of a disclaimer against the Rev than it was a letter of support for me. But I was really pleased to see letters from people telling the Rev to stay away. One man claimed to have been on the jury and he said that Jason wasn't just guilty but VERY guilty. The rest of the letters that supported me all made it clear that my gender wasn't an issue. One of the letters in support of me was from a minister. I was really pleased to see that one, as it showed that this wasn't a religious issue, but a legal and human rights issue.

There were a couple that supported Jason. One said that it couldn't be rape as I wasn't really female. I guess he never read the law. Another was a very strong religious rant against me. I was grouped with illegal drugs, illegal immigrants, abortion, divorce, and evolution as the reasons society was about to collapse. I didn't know I was SO important. I'm surprised he didn't propose burning me at the stake! Still another blamed the scholarship competition for causing all the problems in the first place.

I was very happy and excited by the positive responses. Mom said that I shouldn't get too excited.

"Don't get me wrong honey, I think this is wonderful, and I truly think that it reflects the opinion of the majority of the people here in town, but there will still be those who oppose you and they may do it more intelligently than the two in the paper," she remarked.

She was right. I needed to be ready for criticism. Still, it felt very good seeing the support against the Rev.

The rest of the week there were other responses in the paper to the Rev. They were overwhelmingly against the Rev. I recognized a few names in the support letters. As for the letters in support of the Rev and/or against me they were few and very poorly stated. Paul told me that he'd talked to the editor in charge of selecting letters, and he had stated that the negative letters printed in the paper were the best ones sent in. He also told Paul that many came in with out of state postmarks with no return address, leading him to believe that the Rev and his group were sending in responses. Those never got printed.

Chapter One-Hundred-Seventy-Seven

Jumping ahead to Friday evening, I was sitting with Laura in Spencer's. We sat very close to each other. It felt good just to sit with her. We'd both had an emotional week. My issues have been discussed already. Laura had to deal with the last minute planning for the prom. She was fed up with all the petty arguments and complaints. She joked about getting Tony the limo driver's friends to take out some of the members of the student government.

"Are you shooting to be the senior class dictator or president?" I asked.

"I prefer Empress, or Queen of the Senior Class."

"I thought I was in contention for that?" I joked. She elbowed me in the ribs for that one.

We went back to her place and went up to her room. I took off my top and bra and exposed my chest. My nipples were obviously bigger, and there was noticeable growth in my breasts. Granted, they were still very small. I couldn't toss my breast pads away quite yet.

"Oh, my! Erika, you really are growing. They're so cute!" she squealed.

She downloaded the photo and compared it to the previous ones. There was definite growth. She took my hand and led me to her bed. Her fingers along my nipples made me flinch slightly.

"Hmmm, seems that they are getting more sensitive; I like that," remarked Laura. She took off her top and bra.

"So do I," I replied, and I leaned over to kiss her.

Laura continued to stimulate my nipples. It felt wonderful. The feelings of pleasure weren't just centralized around the nipples; rather they went deep into my body. I felt tingles all over my body. I returned the favor and also rubbed and caressed her breasts and nipples. The changes in my body were so wonderful, and Laura took great pleasure in helping me discover them. There was none of the pressure or stress that I'd experienced when I tried to do this as a boy. Instead it felt so natural that there was no pressure.

Just then the phone rang. I told her to ignore it but she answered it anyway.

"Hel-lo?" asked Laura. Her breathing was rather heavy and she paused slightly in the middle of the word. She listened and looked at me and smiled and then started laughing. "Okay, we'll be there, bye."

"What's up?" I asked

"That was Cat. She wants us to 'put aside our lust' and join her and Matt over at the pizza place," she said giggling.

We got dressed, and I checked my makeup and brushed my hair. Laura said I looked cute and that we should be going.

We caught up with Matt and Cat at the pizza place. The rest of our prom group was there too. The guys were oblivious to the way Laura and I looked. Cat smiled a very sly smile, as did Kristen. Tracey just shook her head.

"What?" I asked, holding back a smile.

"Hey, look who finally made it here!" announced Alex, "Cat said that you were studying. You two need to lighten up and have fun, remember this is prom weekend."

"Good advice, Alex, thank you," replied Laura. To this day I don't know how we all held in our laughter.

We hung out there for a couple of hours. We soon broke up into two conversations, the guys talking about sports and the girls talking about the prom. Laura, Cat, and I all had our appointments for the salon in the morning. Kristen and Tracey were doing the same thing at a different salon. Kristen reminded us to bring a change of clothes for the party at Alex's barn. For the next day or so I was able to put my fears aside and focus on having fun.

Chapter One-Hundred-Seventy-Eight

I woke up early Saturday morning. I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning, as I was so excited about the Prom. My appointment at the salon wasn't until 11:00, so I had plenty of time to kill. It was clear and warm outside. Cat said that it wouldn't dare rain this weekend. I decided to go for a run. I slipped on a pair of shorts, sports bra, t-shirt, socks, and running shoes. It was nice enough outside, so I didn't need any sweats. I did my usual stretches. Coach was religious about us doing our stretches before running. I left a note for Mom and Sam and then I took off.

Even with the Rev lurking about I felt safe enough to run by myself. I headed down towards the school. There weren't a lot of people up at 7:00 in our neighborhood. I did see several rabbits and plenty of birds. I was aware of my surroundings. I kept to the sidewalks and selected a large looping route. Maybe it was just my imagination, but I swore that I could feel my breasts bounce a little as I ran.

I couldn't believe that there was only one month of school left. I thought about what would be going down in the next few months. After prom there would be graduation. I had mixed feelings about high school ending. I'd miss my friends and the comfort zone I had at Central. After school ended, I'd get my scar and nose repaired. After that the next biggest thing would be the planning for Mom and Sam's wedding. They'd decided on the first Saturday in August as the date, and the invitations had been sent out. Mom wanted an outdoor wedding, so they'd reserved the park just south of town. It had a small river that ran through it and was a popular place for weddings. The reception would be held in our backyard, and Sam knew a caterer who would set up tents for the guests. Terri said that we could use their backyard too. When Sam and Mom finished with the list of guests, it looked like we'd have 100-120 people, if everyone showed up.

I made the turn at the high school and started down on the main road towards downtown. Mom and Sam had agreed that I could get my plastic surgery after graduation. I'd be going to New York the week after graduation to get my nose and scar fixed. That would give me over six weeks to heal before the wedding. Our insurance had agreed to pay the cost. I think they did this because the work was going to be done with a FOML (Friends of Mrs. Lincoln) discount. Dr. David Ayres had offered me a greatly discounted price for the work. I wasn't going to turn it down. Mom was going up with me, and we were going to sightsee and shop the weekend before my surgery. She wanted to have a girls' weekend before the wedding. Mrs. Lincoln also had arranged for Tony to pick us up. She said that it was part of the company health plan.

I came to an intersection and I hung a right. I'd take this road for two more miles and then curve back into our neighborhood. The entire route was a little over six miles. I then thought about Laura. She'd be leaving for college a few weeks after the wedding. Neither of us wanted to think about being separated. We both knew it was inevitable, at least for her first year of school. My staying in Golden Hill until after the surgery and her going to the best school for her education just made too much sense, even if it hurt from an emotional point of view.

I was hoping to get my sexual reassignment surgery in early summer of the following year. Laura and Cat both said that they wanted to be there for me and I wanted them there too. Sam had agreed that the loan was a very good deal, and we'd sent in the paperwork. I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly the medical side of my transition was progressing.

I reached the turn off into our neighborhood. I'd worked up a good sweat and felt very relaxed and loose. I reached the house and did my cool down routine. Coach was religious about that too. When I finished, I picked up the papers and headed inside.

Chapter One-Hundred-Seventy-Nine

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee told me immediately that Sam was up. It was amazing how easily Sam had become part of our lives. It was hard to imagine him not living with us.

As soon as I walked into the kitchen, I said, "Good morning, Dad."

Sam was sitting at the table reading a law brief for his latest trial. Mom was scrambling some eggs and cooking some bacon. It smelled very good.

"Hi, hon, how was your run?" asked Mom

"Great," I said. "Here are the papers."

"You want some breakfast?" asked Mom.

"Yes, please. Can I go shower first?" I asked.

"We'd both appreciate that," quipped Sam from behind his law brief.

I'd have thrown the Times at him, but I could hear him snickering.

I ran upstairs and took a quick shower and changed. I put on a light cotton sleeveless dress and my sandals. I then went downstairs to eat.

Mom showed me the latest editorial page and went back to making my breakfast. The letters printed were still overwhelmingly in my favor. Many were angry that an outsider would come into town to try to gain publicity from a violent crime. The paper even had an editorial stating that the town didn't need people coming in to spread hate and misinformation. It made me feel very warm inside as I read it. The interesting thing was that for most people my physical gender wasn't an issue.

After breakfast I finished up some schoolwork. I only had a short assignment to finish for Mr. Kline. When I finished it my weekend was clear. I'd even been given the day off from work on Sunday. Mrs. Lincoln really did look after her 'girls'.

Around 10:30 Laura and Cat came over. We said goodbye and headed downtown. As we entered the salon, I looked up and saw my photo above the receptionist. Okay, I admit that I'm a bit egotistical about it, but you have to admit that it's pretty cool to see your picture displayed like you were a celebrity.

I really loved being pampered and the salon did a great job. I'd been going there since last summer. I had my legs waxed there every month. It was so much better than shaving! I was getting my hair dyed and styled. I was also getting my nails done, both fingers and toes. The manicurist had asked us earlier that week to show her our dresses, so she could pick a good color for each of us.

I had my hair done first. My hair color for most of school had been light brown. My stylist felt that I should go with a more auburn color. Cat and Laura felt that it would look great and so I agreed, although reluctantly. I was very nervous about doing anything drastic the day of the Prom. There were visions of looking like a clown running through my head. The stylist promised me that I'd love it.

Cat went for a new look and had her long hair cut shorter to just off her shoulders. She looked great, although I missed seeing her in a ponytail. Laura kept her hair the same length but had it curled slightly.

I was very pleased with my new hair color. It wasn't that different from my original color, but I liked the slight red tone. My nails were done in a light violet color to match my dress. Cat and Laura both had their nails done in a rich red. We talked as our nails dried.

"How do you like your new hairstyle, Cat? I think you look lovely."

"I love it. I've been wanting to go to a shorter style for a long time. I told Matt that I was doing it and he didn't seem to mind."

"I think you look great too, Cat," added Laura. "I also love your new hair color, Erika, it really suits you."

"Thanks. I think you look wonderful too!" I remarked.

"Well, it's settled, we all look great; so look out, world!" exclaimed Cat.

We were all going to meet over at Laura's house to get dressed. Laura insisted on doing our makeup. I didn't mind and even Cat was agreeable to the idea. Laura's parents had invited our families over for drinks, so they could all see us before we left to go over to Kristen's.

Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty

Cat and I drove over to Laura's house around four. This gave us plenty of time to get ready. We went upstairs and changed.

I went in the bathroom and put on the lavender lingerie that Mrs. Lincoln had bought me. I wanted tonight to be perfect in every way! I was hoping I'd get enough help from the push-up bra so I could skip the pads. I had to admit that it did a good job. I then slipped on my robe and rejoined Cat and Laura.

Laura had just finished with Cat and she looked fantastic. I only hoped I'd looked half as good as she did.

"Okay, Erika... you're next," stated Laura. She pointed to the chair in front of her makeup table.

I sat down and put myself into Laura's hands. Laura is very serious about her makeup abilities and she methodically did my face. She wouldn't let me see what she was doing, but I had complete trust in her. They both commented on my lingerie. Laura was extremely pleased that I was wearing a garter belt.

I wasn't disappointed by her work. I looked great! She'd done a great job concealing my scar so that it was barely noticeable -- even by me. I really loved how she'd made my eyes look so lovely.

While she did her own makeup, Cat and I carefully got dressed. I wasn't used to wearing a strapless bra, but it was necessary due to my dress having spaghetti straps. I carefully slipped it on--I didn't want to mess up the dress, my face, or my hair. I succeeded and was happy with how I looked. Mom had loaned me a string of pearls and some matching earrings. They complemented the dress perfectly. I slipped on my open-toed four-inch heels, and I had to admit that I looked fantastic

Cat looked absolutely stunning in her black gown, and Laura was exquisite in her red strapless gown. All three of us were beaming as we posed for the mirror. Laura came up and put some of her favorite perfume on my neck and wrists. I closed my eyes and let the scent seep in.

"So, are we all ready or what?" asked Laura.

"Let's go wow our loved ones," stated Cat as she grabbed her purse and wrap.

"I'm definitely wowed," said Laura, she was looking at me and smiling.

I felt myself start to blush as I grabbed my wrap and purse.

"You're so sexy when you blush," whispered Laura.

We went downstairs and were greeted by heartfelt compliments. Mom was speechless as I came into the room. Sam looked very pleased.

Mom was standing there beaming at me. "Oh, honey, you're so beautiful. I'm so happy for you!"

We posed for the first of many photos. We were totally into full prom mode. Matt arrived and was thrilled with Cat's appearance, as well he should have been! He pinned on her corsage and they then posed for several photos.

Laura was not to be outdone. She brought out our flowers. She had selected a very lovely orchid corsage for me and took great care in pinning it on me. Her corsage was very similar and I helped put it on her. Because she was wearing a strapless gown, her corsage had a wristband.

We posed for several photos. I was happy that Laura's parents had come around and could share in her joy this evening. I was also happy that I was able to share this moment with Mom and Sam.

We headed over to Kristen's house in Laura's car. We were all excited about the limo ride to the restaurant. Matt said that he felt like royalty riding in a car with three beautiful women.

At Kristen's house we caught up with the rest of our group. Kristen looked great. She was wearing a strapless silver gown. It looked like it had been painted onto her. Tracey's dress was red and it was cut lower than Laura's. The guys were all in classic James Bond tuxedos. Mike was the only one who deviated from the black and white scheme by wearing a bow tie and cummerbund in an African tribal pattern. Kristen's mother had us all pose together for a group shot.

A few minutes later the limo arrived. It was a large black stretch job. As we walked out to it, Cliff pulled in the driveway with Mel. They were having dinner with his parents. Cliff gave me a wolf whistle when he saw me. Mel shook her head in mock disgust.

"You all look great. I'm glad to see our products have such pretty girls to wear them," exclaimed Mel. "Oh, Erika! You look lovely, and I love your new hair color, it really looks great."

I smiled and thanked her. I was happy that they'd seen me. Actually, I wanted everyone I knew to see me!

Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty-One

We arrived at the restaurant and the chauffeur opened the door for us. We were going to enjoy every second of this night. We walked in and were taken to our table. There were a few other couples from Central High there. The waiter came up and couldn't have been nicer. He was an older man and he played the game perfectly, treating us like we were celebrities. His name was Charles and he was very sweet.

The only problem occurred due to a younger waiter. He was serving the tables next to us and he kept staring at Laura and I. He stood so we could see him and he shook his head slowly, as if he was feeling sorry for us. He looked like he was in college and was good looking, although not as good looking as he thought he was.

We watched him as he approached. "I'm so sorry that you two lovely young ladies don't have dates tonight. It's such a shame!"

"Excuse me? What are you talking about?" asked Laura in a sweet innocent tone.

"Hi, I'm Larry and well... I just hate to see two such gorgeous young women be without dates on a night like this." He then winked at us and gave us his best sexy smile.

We looked at each other and tried not to laugh. "We're not without dates," replied Laura.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did your dates get delayed?" he replied. He looked confused.

Laura looked at me. "He's a bit slow," she explained in a low voice. She then reached over and pulled me close and we kissed, slowly and sensually. We stopped and looked up at him and smiled sweetly at him.

He stood there with a trout look on his face. You know the look, eyes bulging and mouth open. He didn't say a word and just backed away.

"You two are just awful!" admonished Cat. We all started laughing.

"Oh, he had it coming," I laughed.

"He probably wants you two even more now," added Kristen.

"Ugh, please!" Laura grimaced.

Fortunately, the rest of the customers missed our little display. I didn't mind confusing Larry, but I didn't want to make a scene that might ruin the night.

Larry didn't bother us the rest of the night. Because of that we won our bet with Alex and Matt. They'd bet that he would give us his phone number before we left. We won a dance with each of them, which we would have gotten anyway, but it was nice to be right.

We drove through downtown on the way to the Prom. This gave us a chance to show off as we went through downtown. The chauffeur drove slowly so we could wave to passersby. The prom was being held in the Civic Center, the same place where I was in the fashion show.

The limo pulled up to the front entrance and we were let out. The chauffeur gave us his beeper number and told us to call when it was time to leave. We all looked at each other and smiled. "Okay everyone, let's go make an entrance they won't ever forget," stated Kristen.

We walked in as couples. Laura and I got a few dirty looks, but no one dared say anything. We also got some rather lustful looks from some of the guys. It's strange how some guys have such a thing about two girls in love. Laura said that she thinks they find it sexy and they imagine they can be the guy who "changes" us so we'll like men.

The theme was 'Hollywood'. They had two spotlights pointed up into the sky. We walked in on a red carpet and there were teachers posing as paparazzi there to take our photos. They'd done a great job in decorating. On one wall was a takeoff of the Hollywood sign. This one spelled out Central High and our graduation year. All around the other walls were movie posters and life-sized cutouts of movie stars. Above the stage was a movie marquee with our class year in lights. Once inside we all stopped and soaked in the atmosphere.

"Laura, the Prom committee did a great job!" exclaimed Tracey. We all agreed and congratulated her.

We walked around and checked out each other. I saw Caroline and Paul. They were with a group from the school paper. Caroline looked fantastic in her deep purple gown. I also had to admit that Paul looked very sharp in his tux. I wondered for a second what might have been. But when I looked over at Laura I shook those thoughts out of my mind. She was so stunning tonight.

I really wanted to see Denise and her date. I looked around and saw her hair. After all, she was the only girl in our class with white hair. Denise was wearing a lovely strapless black leather dress and she looked really great in it. Her date was wearing a similar dress, only hers was shorter and she was wearing knee-high leather high heel boots, while Denise was in heels. I was glad that Denise was staying true to her beliefs and not conforming to please everyone else.

Ms. B came up to us and commented on how lovely we all looked. She said that she'd like a photo with us. She also had a shot taken with the Fab Four. Yes, Lisa did show up. She was wearing a red gown and looked wonderful. Ms. B and the four of us posed for a photo together. I could see how proud she was of us.

Of course I had my photo taken with Laura. We also had one taken that included Cat, Kristen, Tracey, and Caroline.

The rest of the night was filled with dancing and celebration. The band was really good. I'd improved somewhat as a dancer, thanks to Laura and Cat's lessons. I danced the whole night. I saved most of the slow dances for Laura, but the rest of the dances I was fair game. I collected my bet and danced with Alex and Matt. I also danced with Paul, Mike, and several other guys. I also danced with Cat, Kristen, and Rachael.

We even got some of the faculty out on the dance floor. Ms. B joined Cat, Laura, and I for one dance. I also had a slow dance with Mr. Kline.

As expected, Alex and Kristen were elected Prom King and Queen. They deserved it and they looked great in their solo dance.

I was also relieved to see that the Rev was nowhere in sight. The night was too special for some lunatic to ruin.

I lost all track of time and was disappointed when they announced last dance. I wanted the night to go on forever! Laura led me out to the dance floor and held me close as the music played. I didn't want it to end, our bodies were so close, and we were so much in love.

We hung around talking before we left. Everyone had a great time and people were thanking Laura as they left.

"Erika, did you sit out any dances tonight?" asked Kristen.

"I don't think so," I replied with a huge smile on my face.

"Well, if you danced the whole night in those shoes then you really have become a girl," remarked Tracey with a smile.

Everyone just stared at her for a second then we all started laughing. Tracey wasn't exactly known for her sense of humor. I also knew that she had finally accepted me. Up to that point, I'd always sensed a little uneasiness from her when we were together. I never felt that again.

We got into the limo and headed back to Kristen's house. This would allow us to change before the party. The guys didn't mind staying in their tuxedos; all they had to do was loosen their ties. Besides, they all thought they looked so sexy and macho when they did that. I had to admit that I have a real soft spot for a guy in a tux.

We didn't dress totally down as we shifted to more casual party dresses. I started into the bathroom to change.

"Hey, Erika you can change out here with the rest of us; no one minds, we're all girls in here," said Kristen.

I looked around the room and saw that everyone was in agreement. That simple act made the night perfect. I had to hold back crying.

"Thank you," I said. "You have no idea how important this moment is."

For most of the year I hadn't really minded changing separately, as I didn't want to make other people uncomfortable. But since I'd started hormones it had bothered me a bit. They all came over and gave me big group hug.

Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty-Two

We drove over to the Alex's party in our separate cars. The party at Alex's was much more low-key and relaxing. It gave us a chance to sit, unwind and talk about the night. Everyone agreed that it was a great evening and that we'd remember it the rest of our lives.

I went into the house to use the bathroom. I was walking back to the barn, when Alex's mom came up to me in their kitchen and asked me to pass on her congratulations to Sam and Mom on their engagement. She also told me that I could count on their support if the Rev came to town. I thanked her.

"I'm not too worried as I have seen how the town has responded to his threats," I answered.

"Well, we talked about it at our church, and we voted to oppose him if he does come to town. The scholarship program has helped create a community that is very tolerant. It's not perfect, but we've all grown due to the program."

"The program seems to have made a huge impact on the community. Does everyone in your church feel this way?"

"To be totally honest? No, they don't, but a majority is against this so-called 'reverend'!"

I smiled back. "I appreciate your honesty."

"I don't want to keep you from all your friends, I just wanted to let you know that you have a lot of people on your side."

Her comments made me feel very good. I'd have preferred that she didn't talk about it that night, but she meant well. I hoped that the Rev would sense how little support he'd get here and stay away.

I returned to the barn and sat down next to Laura. She put her arm around me and pulled me close to her side. Tonight had been a huge event for her. She'd really made a statement about her life and, for the most part she was well received. Being TS I have other issues to worry about besides my sexuality. I knew that as I was accepted more as a woman than as TS then my sexuality would be a bigger issue.

We hung around for a couple of hours. No one really wanted to leave, but eventually every good thing comes to an end. Matt said that he'd give Cat a ride home, so Laura and I took off together. We drove slowly back to my house.

Once in the driveway, we began to kiss. It started off as a goodnight kiss but it soon got much more serious. We were soon locked in passion. It felt so good being in her arms. Neither of us wanted to stop, but we knew that it had to end.

"I love you, and I'm so happy that we had this night together," smiled Laura.

"I love you too. I still can't believe that we kissed in the restaurant!"

We both starting laughing. "I've wanted to do something like that my whole life," she replied.

We kissed again and I got out and grabbed my bag. My prom dress was still over at Kristen's. Laura said she'd come by later on and we could go get them. I looked at my watch and saw that it was 3:00 AM.

"Do me a favor and call me when you get home?" I asked.

"Sure thing."

She waited until I was inside and then she left. I went into the kitchen to wait for her call. I was too keyed up to go to sleep immediately anyway. I heard someone coming down the stairs and was slightly surprised to see Mom.

"Oh...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," I apologized.

"No problem, I'm happy to see that you're home. So, how was it?" she asked.

"Oh, Mom, it was wonderful! We had such a great time. I can't wait to tell you all about it," I exclaimed.

"Let's do it later on, I'm going back upstairs."

"I'll be right up, I'm waiting for Laura to call telling me she's home."

"Good night dear." She hugged me again and headed back upstairs.

I said good night and waited for Laura's call. Thankfully, she called a few minutes later and said that she was in and that she loved me. I went up to my room and went to bed. It had been a wonderful evening, and I drifted off into a deep restful sleep.

Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty-Three

I slept in until almost noon. Actually I woke up a few times, but decided that sleep was a better option than getting up. I finally got out of bed and crawled into the shower. I had no idea that having fun could be so exhausting.

After showering I checked myself out in the mirror. I really liked my new hair color and decided that I'd leave it this way for now. I also examined my growing breasts. Yes, I was a little fixated with them, but it was pretty cool seeing them grow.

I dressed casually and after my bra, pads, and panties, I put on a green sleeveless t-shirt, my denim overalls, and my sandals. I put on a touch of make up and went downstairs.

Mom and Sam were out back on the deck. It was sunny and nice outside. I grabbed a glass of OJ and joined them.

"It's alive!" said Sam, in his best horror movie voice.

"Oh, like you're Mr. Early Bird," I replied.

"I'm usually up before lunch," he said laughing, "I guess you had a great time."

"Good afternoon, honey," said Mom.

"Okay, I may have slept in a little late, but it was worth it." I sat down on one of the chairs. "It was awesome!"

I went on to describe the whole evening. I even told them about Larry the waiter. Sam found that very funny; Mom just shook her head.

"Sounds like something I would have done when I was your age," she remarked.

We talked for a while about the prom. Mom then excused herself to work on a paper for her college class. Sam asked me if I wanted to go down to his old apartment and help him pick up a few more things. I agreed and we took off.

"So, school is almost over," he said as we drove to the other side of town.

"It's gone by really fast, considering everything that's happened," I replied.

I noticed that we weren't taking the normal way to his place. "Is this the scenic route?" I asked.

"I have a little side trip to make, I didn't think you'd mind."

We drove a few more miles until we reached the State Police barracks. Sam told me to follow him and we walked inside. A trooper was waiting for us and took us out back.

"Well, there she is," he said, pointing to a green, two-door sports car. "She's in great shape, and I kinda hate to part with her, but with the baby on the way, it's very impractical."

"What do you think, Erika?" he asked.

I was stunned at first. "You mean for me?" I asked.

"Well, it's not a gift. You're buying it, but this is a great deal, and if it turns out to be a lemon I'll sue him," said Sam grinning.

"You sue me and you'd better not ever get caught speeding again," replied the trooper with an equally cheesy grin. Then they both started laughing. Cop humor!

I got in the car and it felt really nice. He was right; it was in great shape. The trooper told me I could drive it around a little to see how it felt. Sam got in next to me and we took off. It also rode very smoothly, so we drove for several miles before heading back.

"So what do you think?" asked Sam.

"It's really nice, but it's a little above my limit."

"Well, I think we can cover that, think of it as a graduation present."

"Does Mom know about this?" I asked.

He smiled. "Yes, she does, and she said it's up to you."

I thought about it and decided that it had everything I wanted and then some. It even had a CD player! It would be nice to have my own car, and this was far nicer than what I'd been expecting for my first car.

"If you think it's a good deal, then I think we should get it. I really like her. Thank you so much." That's right, I considered the car to be female. It was too cute to be a male!

"Great, let's head back to the barracks and tell him. By the way, you're welcome."

Sam told him that we'd take it and that he'd call later in the week to arrange the payment and to work out the paperwork.

I couldn't wait to tell Mom and my friends. Mom was pleased that at least I'd have a nice safe car.

Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty-Four

I called up Laura around three and she had just gotten up. She was excited about me getting a car, but she was still happy to drive me around.

"I'll be over in an hour. I can't believe that I slept this late!" she explained.

We went over to Kristen's to pick up our dresses.

"Has Cat picked hers up yet?" I asked as we walked up to her room.

"Yes, she and Matt came by an hour ago. They're a great couple," added Kristen.

I looked at my dress and held it in front of me. I closed my eyes and thought about last night. "Earth to Erika," interrupted Laura.

"Oh, sorry. I was thinking about last night. It seems like it was all a wonderful dream."

"It was real," said Kristen. She sat down on her bed and watched as we packed up our dresses. "I just want to tell you how proud I am of you two. You're both so brave and honest about being open and true about yourselves."

"Thanks, Kristen. Your sticking with me as my friend has helped more than you'll ever know," thanked Laura.

"Kristen, I also want to thank you for being my friend. You've done so much for me this year." I added.

"It's been my pleasure. I've known a few of the contestants over the years, but you're the first that I really consider a friend." Kristen replied.

It was nice to know that her friendship was genuine.

Laura and I headed over to Spencer's. I skipped the pie and just had the cappuccino. Laura had to use the bathroom, and while I was waiting for her, I saw today's paper on the table in front of me. I picked up the editorial section and started to read. I was hoping that the Rev was old news. But then I saw his latest attack. There was a letter from him stating that he'd be holding a rally to support Jason, during which he'd provide evidence that proved Jason's innocence. The rally would be held this coming weekend in the city park downtown.

When Laura returned, I showed her the article and asked to borrow her cell phone. I quickly dialed my number and after three rings I got Sam.

"Did you see today's paper?" I asked frantically.

"No, it's still on the kitchen table, what's wrong?" he asked.

I told him to go to the editorial page. I waited while he found the page.

"Okay, honey, I see it. I'll call Marlene and let her know. Don't worry about it. There's nothing that you can do right now anyway."

"I know. I'll be home soon," I replied.

Laura had me sit down and relax before we left. I was so angry.

"Why is this man so intent on interfering with my life? I know he says that he's only interested in freeing Jason, but only an idiot would miss the real point of his actions," I fumed. I was so furious.

"Hey, you aren't in this alone. If he hates you, you can imagine what he thinks of me or this coffeehouse for that matter," she commented.

"Thanks. I know that I have many people on my side, but this is so personal. I can't help but be angry." I tossed the paper on the table so hard that it knocked over my cup. It hit the floor and shattered into several pieces.

The sound of the cup hitting the floor drew a lot of attention our way. One thing about the regular crowd at Spencer's was that they knew that it was more than just a coffeehouse, it was a refuge. So when someone had an irrational display of emotion, people were interested in helping.

"Is everything okay, girls?" asked a large muscular man.

I was about to say yes, but Laura wasn't about to let me lie. "No, it isn't! Some over-righteous asshole is harassing my girlfriend!" she exclaimed. And I thought I was the angry one!

Laura explained to him what was going on and showed him the paper. He introduced himself as Ben and he seemed very concerned.

"I've been following this. Do you have anyone to organize your side?" asked Ben.

"Yes, her name is Marlene Hamilton," I replied.

He seemed impressed and he let out a low whistle. "Whoa! This must be serious for Marlene to get involved."

"You know her?" asked Laura

"Only by reputation. She's a good person to have on your side, kid," he remarked.

"Please call me Erika. And this is my girlfriend, Laura." I didn't even mind him calling me kid.

Laura smiled when I called her my girlfriend.

"Pleased to meet both of you. Would do me a favor? The next time you talk to Marlene, would you give her my number? I'm with the LGBT center on campus, and we'd love to help." He handed me a card.

"I will, thanks," I answered. I then stood up and we hugged.

I felt a bit better and Laura drove me home.

"At least he waited until the prom was over," I said, letting out a small laugh.

"He is making a huge mistake coming here," Laura stated, almost as if it was a threat.

"I feel better knowing you're on my side."

Laura couldn't stay for dinner, so we kissed and agreed to talk later in the evening.

Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty-Five

"It's me!" I said as I came in. I walked into the kitchen and sat down with Mom and Sam.

"How are you doing?" asked Mom.

"Good. I let out a little rage, and some poor coffee cup paid the price, but I feel better."

"I talked to Marlene - she'll be filing papers for a demonstration the same day as the Rev. He hasn't filed his papers yet with City Hall. Marlene said that they'll hold their rally with or without him. Since he played his hand first, any cancellation on his behalf will mean that he has lost. What little credibility he has will be gone."

I nodded. "I need to call Marlene." I showed Sam the card that Ben gave me, and explained how he wanted to get involved.

"Well, she is on her way here, so we'll have to wait until she calls us. You can always e-mail her the info," suggested Sam.

Sam grilled dinner but no one had much of an appetite. Marlene called a little after nine and we talked for a few minutes. She told me that she had called most of the contacts she'd made during her last trip, and most were very supportive of a counter rally to the Rev. I gave her Ben's number, and she said she'd call him in the morning. She warned me to expect more actions directed towards me, the school, and my friends.

"Whatever you do, don't lose your temper and retaliate; that's what they want you to do. I'll be filing a restraining order to keep him and his minions away from you. I don't know if it will be approved, but it's worth a try. He's already been ordered to stay away from the school. This may get rough, but we'll get through this."

I agreed not to do anything stupid. There was nothing I could do right now except wait and hope that our side would win.

Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty-Six

I tried to get into the post prom mood in school Monday, but I was too distracted by the thought of the Rev holding a rally against me in less than a week. I tried not to let it show. I was back to walking that tightrope of wanting to show everyone how strong I was and at the same time desiring help and comfort. What was also in my mind was that I'd failed twice in finding the right balance. Okay, maybe 'failed' was too harsh a term, but I was worried that I might really go over the edge the next time.

I knew I had a strong support group to get me through this. Mom and Sam were great. Laura and Cat were always there for me, along with many other students at Central. Of course I could depend on Ms. B, Mrs. Lee, and Coach Chambers. Jenny told me that I could call her anytime, and I had Marlene the Great running my official defense. Add to that Mrs. Lincoln, the college, and many residents of Golden Hill, and I should have felt very confident. But being just seventeen, I still had many worries. I also didn't want the very people supporting me to be hurt.

Still I think I did an Oscar-worthy performance Monday in school. I joined all the post prom conversations and acted like nothing abnormal was going on in my life, just like any other senior at Central.

I was called up to Mrs. Lee's office during third period. I arrived at the same time as Ms. B and Coach Chambers.

"Good Morning, Erika," greeted Ms. B.

I nodded. Coach put her hand on my shoulder and smiled. My emotions were running a bit high, and it was hard to talk without getting choked up. We then entered Mrs. Lee's office.

"Hello, Erika, I wanted to talk to you about the latest developments with the upcoming protest; please have a seat. I was just notified by Mr. Warren that the Reverend's group has filed the necessary paperwork for their rally. They claim the purpose is to protest a legal decision, but we all know the real reason," stated Mrs. Lee.

"Yes, Mrs. Lee."

"While the main effort of this group is directed at you, it's also an attack on all our contestants, this school, and our community. We plan to stand together in support. While officially the school cannot do anything, individual students and staff will be allowed to participate in the counter-rally being held by Ms. Hamilton. I also want you to know that I personally will be there to support you," reaffirmed Mrs. Lee.

"Erika, the scholarship committee can and will support you. We've prepared plans for such an event and are quite ready to defend you and the program," added Ms. B.

"I'll be at the rally with you too," smiled Coach.

"Thank you, all!" I was feeling very emotional and found it hard to speak. I was discovering that the hormones were loosening my emotions.

"I'll be speaking to all the contestants today and to the entire student body this afternoon on the PA. I'll inform the other contestants that we will support them and ask them to report any problems. I'll also address the entire student body to remind them about school district policy on demonstrations. I will not allow this group or ANY group to disrupt or bother any student on campus," said Mrs. Lee in a very forceful tone.

"I appreciate you telling me this in advance."

"If you have any questions or problems, please come see me immediately," stated Mrs. Lee.

I went back to class and tried to act like everything was okay.

At lunch Laura asked me how I was doing. I told her about my meeting with Mrs. Lee. Laura told me that the counter-rally was going to be huge, as she was telling everyone she knew about it. Cat and Kristen confirmed this fact. Granted, it was a holiday weekend and many people would be out of town, but I appreciated their support in putting the word out.

That afternoon Mrs. Lee made her announcement concerning school rules and outside groups. It made me feel better knowing that the Rev's group wouldn't be tolerated on campus.

I rode home with Cat and Laura. I was pleased to see everything was normal at home. Mom's car was in the driveway. It was a school night for her and she was getting ready for class. I said goodbye to Cat and kissed Laura goodbye and walked into the house.

Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty-Seven

I found Mom in the kitchen making her dinner to take to school.

"Hi, honey. Marlene called and wanted to let you know that they have a restraining order for the Rev and his followers to stay 100 yards away from our house."

"Good! Between here, school, and work I'll have some safe havens. I don't need a restraining order for Spencer's. They wouldn't dare show up there," I replied with a smile.

"She also warned us that they will probably try a few things between now and Saturday." She finished packing her meal. "You want a ride to work?"

"Sure, let me go get changed first!"

Mom dropped me off at the mall's main entrance. I watched her drive away, and I walked towards the double glass doors. As I approached, a woman walked up and asked me to sign her petition. I was caught off guard, as the mall usually didn't allow soliciting.

"We are gathering names in support of a new trial for Jason Martin. He is a local boy who was falsely convicted of a crime and now is wasting away in prison. I would also like you to have a bumper sticker." The bumper sticker said 'Free Jason'.

"He wasn't convicted; he confessed, and pled guilty, get your facts straight," I retorted, controlling the urge to seize her clipboard and throw it in the trash.

She stared at me and seemed to be at a loss for words. "Ummm.... Yes, that's what published, but we know that he was forced to sign the ummm ...confession." Apparently she wasn't used to a teenager contradicting her.

I didn't want to let her know who I was. "Well, whoever told you that was wrong!" I then walked in the mall. I immediately tracked down a security guard and told him what was going on at the entrance.

I walked to the other entrance and saw another supporter of the Rev also questioning shoppers. I was pleased to see the security car pull up next to the entrance and the guard begin to question the person. That made me feel very good.

I told Cindy what had happened and she could only shake her head in disbelief. Mel asked me if I wanted "Cliff and the boys" to go rough them up! Cindy gave her a real dirty look for that one. It was tempting to say yes, but that would only get Cliff in trouble.

"I want you to go tell Mrs. Lincoln this. I'm sure she'll find it very interesting," ordered Cindy.

Mrs. Lincoln immediately called the mall office and told them in no uncertain terms that she was upset and that they'd better ensure that this didn't happen again.

"By the way, dear, I heard you looked lovely at your prom," remarked Mrs. Lincoln.

"Thank you. I wish you could have seen me! I had a wonderful time and thank you for the day off on Sunday." I then left her office and changed for work.

Work was a nice distraction from my worries, and I was surprised at how fast closing time arrived. Cindy gave me a ride home.

"By the way, Erika, I'll be at the counter-rally on Saturday," stated Cindy.

"Thank you!"

I saw Marlene's office on wheels parked in the driveway. I said goodnight to Cindy and went inside.

"I'm home!" I announced.

Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty-Eight

"We're in the kitchen," said Sam.

I walked in to see the kitchen table covered with papers. Marlene was on the phone and she waved hi to me.

"You're home early," stated Sam, without looking up.

"No, I'm not. You've just lost track of time," I replied, pointing to the clock.

He glanced at his watch. "Whoa, it's almost 9:30!"

"I take it you haven't eaten."

Sam shook his head no.

"Well, I'll fix dinner. Why not something simple and easy to eat, so we don't have to clear the table? There is a table under there, right?"

Sam smiled and mouthed 'smart ass' to me.

"You feel like grilled cheese sandwiches and a mug of tomato soup?" I asked. That was always one of our favorite comfort foods.

"Sounds good," said Sam. I saw Marlene nodding yes.

I went to work preparing the sandwiches and the soup. Marlene hung up the phone and said hi. I told them about the incident at the mall.

"In the future, just walk by and don't talk to them. They might have someone there to photograph you and then will try to use it against us," warned Marlene.

"I hadn't thought of that." I put the first sandwich in the frying pan.

"It looks like we'll be getting a very good turnout on Saturday. I have confirmations from many civic and church groups that will be on our side," Marlene stated proudly.

The soup was ready and I poured it into mugs. I was also on my third sandwich. Timing is everything when cooking, you don't want to start the sandwiches too soon as they'll get cold before the soup is ready. Cold grilled cheese sandwiches are gross.

Marlene helped me bring the food to the table. We cleared enough space for our plates. Mom arrived in the middle of this and I gave her my sandwich and soup. It didn't take long to make another one and there was plenty of soup left.

"So, Erika, you saw bumper stickers?" asked Marlene.

"Yes, she said I could have one if I signed her petition." I took a bite of the sandwich, it was pretty good.

"Try not to overreact when you see them around town. I wouldn't be surprised if they went around and put them on cars themselves," explained Marlene.

"Can someone please tell me what difference there is to these people what gender I want to be? I am not harming them in any manner, so why the big effort to protest against me and the program?" I vented.

"That's the problem with these extreme groups, they see LGBT as a threat and a challenge to their belief system. If you are accepted as normal, then they'd be forced to examine their entire belief system. It's the same reason they protest evolution and equality for women. Don't forget that these sort of groups often support racist groups too. This entrenched sort of thinking is why we can get mainstream support for our counter-protests," Marlene explained.

"Sounds like you've given that speech before," I said.

She smiled. "Only a 'few' times."

"Marlene would you like to join us at Spencer's tomorrow afternoon? Laura and I always go there after my therapy session," I asked.

"I'd love to. What time?" she asked.

"6 o'clock."

After we finished eating, I cleared the plates to let them get back to work. I was really tired and said goodnight.

I went upstairs and called Laura and told her about my evening. She already knew about the bumper stickers, as she'd seen one driving home. She said not to worry about it. We talked for thirty minutes. Her confidence made me feel better.

Chapter One-Hundred-Eighty-Nine

I got up early on Tuesday. I wanted to see if there was anything new in the paper. There were three printed responses to the announcement of the Rev's rally. One was for our counter-rally by Marlene. She was calling it a 'Rally for Equality and Tolerance'. A second letter was also against the Rev and telling him to keep hate out of Golden Hill.

The third was from someone who felt that maybe the case should be looked at again. They listed several 'facts' about the case, none of which were true. First they wrote that maybe Jason didn't know my true sexuality. Right, he just forgot that I was a contestant and that he and his mother both attacked me earlier in the fall. Next, they said that the jury hadn't considered all the facts in the case. Hey, idiot, he pleaded guilty! Their last 'fact' was that Jason's lawyer didn't get a chance to fully cross-examine me. Oh, yes, Martin Turner was so easy on me and he only interrogated me a whole day! Nothing like building up a good rage at 6:45 in the morning!

I had to remember what Marlene said about keeping my cool. They wanted me to lose it and act irrational. Maybe Laura was right and I should call Tony the limo driver!

When we got to school, I saw the custodians scraping off some bumper stickers off the school sign. I saw that they were the 'Free Jason!' stickers. There was a very annoying juvenile pettiness about their tactics. I'd thought that people like that had better imaginations.

School was pretty normal most of the day. We did have our lunch meeting of the Fab Four. Lisa was worried about what was going on and seemed pretty depressed about our group getting publicity. I could see her point to a degree, but all she needed to say was that she was competing for a scholarship.

"You know, if the press asks you why you are still in, just say that the contest is like a reality TV show without the cameras," I quipped.

"Yes, and we don't have to eat something disgusting to win!" added Caroline.

"Are you forgetting about last Friday's lunch?" replied Denise.

We all laughed including Lisa.

"You know, I think that I can say that we aren't competing with each other anymore. It's clear that we'll all get a good deal if we last to graduation. So let's stick together, support each other, and get the scholarship together," suggested Denise.

"Sounds good to me," said Caroline.

"Denise is right. I'm not quitting, and I hope none of you do either," I added.

There was silence from Lisa.

"Come on, Lisa, you only have three weeks to go, you can do it," pleaded Denise.

"I don't know. I'm really worried about being humiliated by this religious nut," remarked Lisa.

"You want to get back at him? Then get the scholarship," stated Caroline.

I stayed out of the discussion. I didn't want to influence her one way or the other.

"Erika what's your take?" asked Lisa.

"It's your choice, but you're so close to winning a full four-year scholarship. I want you to be happy, but I also agree with Caroline. Either way, I'll support your decision. However, I'm the main target of these jerks."

"Aren't you worried that if I quit this Reverend will use that against you?" asked Lisa.

"To be honest? Yes, I am. But I don't want to see you suffer just to help me."

"I'm not really suffering. I'd love to finish the contest. I'm just worried about my parents. I don't want them to be hurt," explained Lisa.

"Have you talked to them about this?" I asked.

Lisa looked back at me and shook her head no.

"Talk to Ms. B, maybe she can arrange a discussion between you and your parents," suggested Caroline. "She did that for me, and now I at least talk with my father."

I knew that Caroline was still estranged from her father, but at least she was allowed back in the house. She'd decided to stay with her aunt, but she does go over for dinner every now and then.

"Do you think she'd be able to help me?" asked Lisa.

"Absolutely," I replied.

Listening to Lisa, I thought about the four of us. Caroline had found personal contentment but her family life was rocky, Lisa was filled with guilt, and my issues were well documented. It looked like Denise had the most stable year!

Ms. B came in late and she smiled knowingly at us. It was obvious that she'd been outside the room the whole time, but she had waited until we had our say.

She explained that there might be one more challenge left between now and graduation. Then she told us to report any harassment from the Rev or his group. She emphasized that there was a legal fund to handle situations just like this.

We left Ms. B alone with Lisa as we figured they needed to talk a little. From what I'd heard about Lisa's parents, I doubted that they were worried by the Rev or about being embarrassed by Lisa being in the contest. Still, Lisa was the one who had to see that.

I hoped the rest of the day would go by quickly as I really wanted to talk to Jenny. It was not to be. I was called out of sixth period by one of the campus supervisors.

"Mrs. Lee needs to see you," he announced, and he escorted me, not to her office, but in the direction of my locker.

I was confused at first, until I saw the reason. Someone had covered my locker with "Free Jason" bumper stickers. Mrs. Lee was standing there with Mrs. Roberts and Officer Tom Bell.

"When were you last at your locker, Erika?" asked Mrs. Lee.

"Right after lunch, on my way to American Lit." I stared at the stickers and felt a growing rage.

"Mrs. Roberts saw this right after sixth period started. I'm sure someone would have reported it earlier. The reason Officer Bell is here is that this is more than just simple vandalism. It's an act of intimidation, and I will not tolerate that in MY school!" stated Mrs. Lee angrily.

I was so glad she was on my side!

"Mrs. Lee, do you have any suspects?" asked Tom.

"I believe Mrs. Roberts can identify the suspects," informed Mrs. Lee.

"Two boys ran by me before I came around the corner. I told them to walk. I just assumed they were late for class. I don't know their names, but I saw them run into room 203. I can identify them."

Tom Bell, Mrs. Roberts, and the campus supervisor left to go get them. I stood there with Mrs. Lee.

"We'll have this cleaned up soon, Erika," she explained.

"I'm not worried about it. I'm angry that someone here did this," I answered. I was torn between anger and fear. What next?

We saw them returning with two boys. I didn't know them; judging by their size, I guessed that they were in 10th grade.

"We found these in their backpacks," said Tom. He held a stack of the bumper stickers.

"Did you do this?" demanded Mrs. Lee.

"Yes... but it was just a joke, we didn't mean anything by it," confessed the first kid. He was trembling slightly.

"Some guy gave us each $50.00 to do this. It was just a joke," repeated the second kid.

They were starting to realize that it was more serious than just a joke.

"Can you describe the man who paid you?" asked Tom.

"Yes, yes, we can," said the first kid, who looked like he was ready to start crying.

"You may go back to class, Erika. Please stop by my office after sixth period," ordered Mrs. Lee.

I nodded and glared at the two boys as I turned around and walked back to class.

After school I went to Mrs. Lee's office. She said that the boys had given a good description of the man and his truck. Tom told me that it was close to my description of the truck from a few weeks ago. Both boys had been suspended for a week for violating school rules and had been told to write me an apology. Additionally, they had to give the money to Tom. They also had to clean the stickers off my locker. I felt that was a fair punishment.

"So, they aren't going to be charged with anything?" I asked Tom.

"No. If I arrested everyone who was greedy and stupid, our jails would be full. We scared them pretty good, and they were both crying their eyes out. Their parents were really angry with them. I imagine they'll be grounded too. I doubt they'll do anything like this again. However, I'm looking forward to talking to the jerk that paid them."

"Jerk? Is that a legal term?" I asked with a smile.

"Yes, it's the term I use to describe someone I'd rather call nastier names when I'm around a juvenile, the daughter of the DA, or both," he replied with a big grin.

"They were suspended for violating the school honor code. I hope it sends a message to the rest of the school. I'll be making an announcement about it in the morning," added Mrs. Lee.

I left and Laura drove me over to Jenny's office.

Chapter One-Hundred-Ninety

"I can't imagine someone paying kids to do something like that. We're dealing with a real asshole," remarked Laura.

"I believe the legal term is 'jerk'." I explained, and we both started to laugh.

Jenny and I had a longer session than normal. She seemed pleased that I wasn't trying to cope all by myself. I told her I was really afraid of a repeat of my earlier episodes.

"That's a normal fear. But you now know your limitations, so I wouldn't worry. Just know that you can always call me if you need to. How are you doing with the hormones?"

"Well, I continue to check my growth," I said with a smile.

"That's nice, but what about your emotions?" asked Jenny.

I was silent for a moment. I'd felt some changes, but I'd figured that it was in my head. "I do find that I'm more emotional, or maybe the right term is that my emotions are looser. Does that make sense?" I asked.

"Yes, it does. It's perfectly normal and a part of the transition. Just be aware of it, especially with the added stress of the Rev and graduation. Don't let this newfound emotional 'loosening' get you into trouble," she explained with a big smile.

When we finished up she asked me if I was going to Spencer's.

"Yes, we're meeting Marlene Hamilton there," I said.

"Well, I may see you there later on. If not, tell Marlene that I said hi."

I was going to ask some stupid questions, but I figured they were too personal and skipped them. I was beginning to wonder if Jenny knew everyone!

I had my usual. There are some things that need to be traditions, and key lime pie and cappuccino at Spencer's was one of mine. Laura wasn't as strict; she had a slice of strawberry cheesecake and a cappuccino. Marlene had her own tradition, cappuccino and a biscotti.

We sat on the couch and talked. Marlene wasn't totally surprised by what had happened at school, but I could tell that she was pretty disgusted by the act.

"I think that paying a couple of kids to do your dirty work is more immoral than anything going on with the scholarship contest," remarked Marlene.

"What will it be like on Saturday?" I asked.

"That depends on them. It could become a rant against your being transgendered and against the scholarship program. These sorts of things often attract some real extremists. Don't be surprised if they end up protesting all sorts of things from gay marriages to abortion," explained Marlene.

"And this is all legal?" I asked.

"As long as they don't get disruptive or violent," stated Marlene.

"Do you think they'll try to disrupt our rally?" asked Laura.

"Well, they can try, but we'll be separated by the police and our own security. Additionally, we're pushing a positive message of inclusion. We'll try to make our rally a festival of equality and tolerance. Our goal is to ignore them and avoid any direct confrontation. If there are any problems, then they'll be the ones who start them." Marlene then pointed to a sign over on the bulletin board. "See, the word is already getting out about our rally!"

I looked over and saw the sign. There were several people looking at it.

"We'll have those signs up all over town by Saturday. I've arranged for several speakers to give speeches, including a local minister." The two of us just looked at her in stunned silence. "Don't look so surprised! I told you I am not anti-religion; I'm just against extremists, especially those who wrap themselves in scripture. I've contacted all the houses of worship and many are supportive, although only one is officially coming out on our side. The good thing is none are supporting the Rev."

"Who else is speaking?" asked Laura. She'd finished her cheesecake and was eyeing my key lime pie.

"Well, we have several civic and business leaders, and also several contestants from previous years," stated Marlene.

I pushed my plate over to Laura, I really wasn't hungry at the moment. "Are these contestants also TS?" I asked.

"One is, the others aren't. The goal is to show how the program has been a positive experience in their lives." She then excused herself to go get another cup of cappuccino.

"So what do you think?" asked Laura, she'd quickly finished off the rest of the key lime pie.

"It looks good. I wish that this wasn't happening, but I guess there comes a time when you have to make a stand," I remarked.

Marlene returned and sat back down. "Let's talk about your speech. I think you should say a few words."

"If I say what's on my mind, you might need to censor me," I joked, cracking a slight smile.

"Well, that's the reason why I want to go over it with you. You should focus on thanking everyone for their support and not directly attack the other group. Try to stick to the highroad."

"Okay, but it would be more fun to go on a Dennis Miller-like rant on the Rev."

Marlene smiled and took a sip of her cappuccino. "I'm still trying to figure out how a small town like this has such a good coffeehouse. I'm also handling all press requests for interviews. A reporter for the local paper would like to talk to you."

"Do you trust him?" I asked.

"Well, I trust HER," said Marlene with a smile. "I'll be there the whole time. She doesn't seem the type to do a hatchet job on you. I've already talked to Sam and your mom, and they say it's up to you."

"When would we do it?" I asked.

"Tomorrow after school," said Marlene.

"I have to help Coach Chambers after school, but I'll be free by 5:00. Is that okay?" I asked.

"Perfect, we can have dinner together," suggested Marlene.

Laura pointed out Coach Chambers and Jenny as they walked in. I waved to them and they waved back. Marlene looked over and smiled.

"You know them?" I asked, slightly surprised.

"Yes, I've known Jenny and Lori for years. We all met back in college," replied Marlene.

Jenny and Coach walked over and joined us. Marlene gave them each a big hug. They seemed really happy to see each other. They began to talk about old times. I excused myself and walked over to look at the poster. As I stood there, two women came up and joined me in reading the poster.

"I'm glad someone is standing up to that idiot, imagine picking on a defenseless high school girl," said the first.

"Do you consider the student a girl?" asked the second.

"Yes, why not?" replied the first.

"I thought he was just one of the contestants in that scholarship contest they sponsor over at Central High," said the second.

"SHE is a contestant, but she's also transsexual. I heard it from a friend whose sister goes to the school," said the first woman.

"So, it's not confirmed about him being TS, it could just be a rumor?" said the second.

"No, from what I heard the kid outed herself during a talk about her trial in front of a whole bunch of her classmates," said the first.

"Whoa! That's pretty brave. She sounds pretty cool," exclaimed the second.

"Thank you," I added. I just couldn't resist!

They both looked at me and were initially speechless. Then the first one broke out in a big smile. "Are you, Erika?"

"Yes, I am."

"Gee, I've seen you in here with your friend many times, and I never knew or suspected. I'm so sorry about what I said earlier," said the second woman.

"No need to apologize, just tell your friends about the rally Saturday!"

"We wouldn't miss it, hope to see you there!" stated the first.

I said goodbye and rejoined my group.

"What was all that about?" asked Laura.

"Just educating the masses!" I smiled and told them what happened.

"That's the way I want you to act on Saturday," explained Marlene. I could see that she was proud of me.

We talked about the rally for another hour. Marlene said that she'd pick me up at my house tomorrow evening. Laura and I said goodbye while we got up to leave. As we started out, everyone in Spencer's stood up and applauded. I guessed those two women passed the word about who I was. Their display of support was emotionally striking. I tried to say thanks, but my words were frozen inside. I just smiled, waved, and walked out with Laura.

"That was something," said Laura.

I was holding it all back, and I didn't want to look like an idiot as we walked back to the car. I let it out once we were in the car. The tears of joy ran down my face. Laura smiled and hugged me. I had the feeling that we really were going to win now.

Chapter One-Hundred-Ninety-One

Sandra informed me that she'd be in town for the rally and that she'd be one of the people speaking.

"I thought you weren't an activist?" I said with a slight laugh.

"I'm not, but I also told you that I will stand up to injustice," she replied.

I also told her about the initial incident with the two women in Spencer's.

"I was a little surprised that one was initially reluctant to accept me as a female."

"Well just because someone is gay or lesbian doesn't make them automatically understanding about transgendered issues. In fact, some in the LGB community don't like to be associated with us," explained Sandra.

"Why?" I asked.

"Some see us as gay men who can't accept that we're gay, so we change our gender to fit our sexuality. But for many it's just a lack of knowledge. Their main contact with transgendered people may have only been drag queens or performers. So they don't understand us. This rally could be a great stage for education for all people," explained Sandra.

Her comments were a real eye opener for me. I guess I'd been a little nave about everyone in the LGBT community getting along.

"How do you feel about doing the interview?" asked Sandra. "Marlene e- mailed me about it."

"I'm nervous. I'm worried that they'll take what I say out of context."

"Well, that's always a risk, but I think that this will be a great opportunity for you. Just be yourself and be honest, and you can disarm much of the Rev's ammunition."

"I hope so. So when are you getting into town?"

"Late Thursday evening. I'll be staying at my parent's house."

"We'll be at Spencer's Friday evening. Please come on by."

"Will you get an encore?" asked Sandra, laughing.

"So Marlene told you about that too? I have to admit that I was really moved by it."

"You should be. Well, Erika, I have to get going, I'll see you later this week."

"Good night, and have a safe trip!"

Chapter One-Hundred-Ninety-Two

At breakfast Sam told me that we'd gotten a call last night from one of the parents of the boys who vandalized my locker. "He was very apologetic and also very angry at the person who'd talked his son into doing it."

"Can the police do anything?" I asked. I was at the toaster waiting for my bagel to pop out.

"They're looking into it."

"When will I get my car?" I asked. My bagel was out and very hot. I dropped it on the plate and blew on my fingertips.

"We'll get it Monday." Sam snickered at my momentary discomfort.

"Cool. Thanks again for everything, Dad!"

I sat down next to him and spread some cream cheese on my bagel. I looked outside; everything was so green.

"You're welcome, hon."

Mom came in and grabbed a cup of coffee. Sam smiled at me and whispered, "You're next!"

"Never!" I replied. I then took a long sip of tea and let out a sigh.

"So, you feel comfortable about the interview?" asked Mom.

"A little nervous - well, maybe a lot nervous."

"You want me there with you?" asked Mom.

"Yes I'd like that! Thank you," I answered. I didn't see the need for false bravery by pretending that I wanted to do all this by myself.

I looked in the editorial section and the letters were for the most part either supporting me or against the Rev. There was one that supported the Rev and argued that the town had become too liberal and called for the return of old fashioned values.

Thankfully, a few of the letters saw through the faade of the 'Free Jason' movement and saw it was an attack on me for being transsexual. I didn't recognize the names of the writers, which in some ways made me happy. It was nice to know that strangers took the time to write in support of me!

School was fine on Wednesday. There was no repeat of the vandalism on Tuesday, and things were pretty normal. Many people were talking about the upcoming holiday weekend and the unofficial start of summer. I wished I could have been as preoccupied with trivial thoughts, like going on a vacation, choosing a swimsuit, etc. It truly was the calm before the storm.

Coach Chambers was focused on those who would be competing in the district track finals. This would be my last week of helping her. She took some time to let me know that she really appreciated my help. It had been fun and it had given me something to do as well as a sense of contributing to the team, even though I couldn't compete. My mind wasn't really on the track team that afternoon anyway, as I was thinking about the interview.

I rode home with Laura and we talked about the interview. "I wish you could be there!"

"Me too. Call me when you get home," stated Laura.

"I will," I replied. We kissed and I went inside to change.

I selected a khaki skirt and a blue blouse, and of course sandals. I didn't put on a lot of makeup, as I wanted the reporter to see my scar. Marlene had copies of the photos from right after the attack., along with my testimony, and victim's statement.

I was sitting downstairs reading when Mom came in with Marlene. They'd both arrived at the same time. Mom went up to change and Marlene joined me in the kitchen.

"Cheer up, Erika, you look like you're going to a funeral," remarked Marlene.

"You sure this is the right thing to do?" I asked.

"Yes, a good interview can defuse an issue like this very quickly," she stated.

"Okay. So, am I dressed properly? I've never been interviewed before."

"You look perfect!" I saw her look at my scar and nod in agreement.

Mom came down and we headed to the restaurant. Mom had suggested the diner near the courthouse, the same place where we'd eaten during the trial. It was really too up scale to be called a diner, but too normal to be called a bistro. I'm sure Mom selected it because I felt safe there. After all, many of the patrons were in law enforcement and the Rev would never dare set foot in there. Sam had told me that by virtue of the engagement, I was now seen as one of the greater law enforcement family and any threat against me would be taken rather personally.

Chapter One-Hundred-Ninety-Three

We arrived first and were given a booth way in the back. The reporter arrived a few minutes later. Cherri Olson looked very pleasant with blonde hair and blue eyes. I guessed she was in her late twenties.

After we all introduced ourselves she wanted to know about the attack, the trial, my recovery and my participation in the scholarship program.

"Of course I'd also like to ask you a few questions about your being transsexual," she stated.

"Sounds good," I replied.

"I promise that I'm not out to sensationalize your story."

She set out a tape recorder, explaining that she primarily wanted the recording to ensure the accuracy of any quotes she used. She promised to supply us with a copy of the tape.

I then described the events leading up to the attack. She said that she'd been unaware that Jason had attacked me earlier at the football game. Then I described the attack in detail. I did as I'd done in the trial l and visualized the attack. It was very emotional, but she wanted the whole story.

I stopped and gave her a chance to ask questions. She just sat there staring at me. "I had no idea that the attack was that brutal!"

"Here's a copy of the police report, with photos," interrupted Marlene, handing her a folder. "The photos are not for publication."

She opened it up and gasped silently when she saw the photos. She looked up at me and compared the photo to what I looked like today.

"Erica's going to have plastic surgery next month on the scar and her nose," added Marlene.

I then talked about my counseling, the trial, and my issues with post traumatic stress. I didn't leave out a thing. I could tell that Cherri was caught off guard by what I had been through.

"I'm still in counseling, by the way," I reiterated.

"How do you feel about Jason today?" asked Cherri.

"I hate what he did to me, and I'm happy he's in jail. I don't know if I really hate him personally, at times I still feel a lot of rage towards him. I can say that I have not forgiven him. I don't know if I ever will."

"I need to ask you now about your gender."

I spent another hour going over that part of my life and my progress. She interrupted several times for questions. It was obvious she had done some research on transsexualism, letting me know she was pleased that the scholarship program hadn't pushed me into anything, but had counseling resources available for assistance.

We finished a little after ten. I felt very good about the way I'd responded and I could see that Marlene was pleased. Mom had brought some copies of pictures of me that year, including one from homecoming. She didn't bring one of me as Eric.

"Do you have any questions or comments for me?" asked Cherri.

"It's more of a request. Please don't refer to me as boy dressed as a girl or use male pronouns. I'm a transsexual, and since I'm transitioning, I'd prefer that you use female pronouns when you write about me," I requested. "Also, as my English teacher has drilled into all of us this year, pronouns refer to perceived gender, not to sex."

"That's fair. I just want to say that I didn't know what to expect this evening when I came here. I guess I thought I'd see a boy in a dress. I was mistaken, you're a lovely young woman, Erika, and I wish you the best in your journey towards becoming whole."

She told us that the article would be in Friday's paper and she'd e- mail us a copy as soon as she was done. Marlene gave her some more documents from the trial.

"Well, if you'll excuse me, I need to get started on this story. It's been a pleasure meeting all of you, and especially you, Erika," stated Cherri.

We said goodbye and watched her leave. I looked over at Marlene. "How did I do?"

"I think you really wowed her I'm very pleased and I think she'll write a very supportive article."

"I was definitely wowed," added Mom.

I was mentally exhausted by the interview, and I was happy to get home and go to bed. I did call Laura and Cat and told them that it had gone well with a promise to tell them more in the morning.

Chapter One-Hundred-Ninety-Four

When I got home from school on Thursday I found a copy of the article in my e-mail. I read through it and was very pleased. It was a very sympathetic view of everything I'd been through and disputed virtually every point the Rev and his group had raised. She even got the pronouns right! I emailed her back and thanked her and asked if she'd send me an autographed copy of the published article.

I jump ahead to Friday now. I got up early and found that Cherri's article about me was on the first page of the local section. It was virtually identical to the copy that Cherri had sent me. There's something pretty cool about seeing your name in the paper - at least when you're treated fairly and favorably.

There was also an article with an interview with the Rev about his reasons for the rally. He stated that he was just interested in justice and he wanted Jason to get a new trial. The Rev said that he thought the defense lawyer had done a poor job in cross-examining me and the other witnesses. He claimed that there were witnesses that could place Jason and I together many times. However, he didn't say who they were. He also went into a rant about my deceiving Jason about my true gender and that only when Jason thought he might get AIDS from me he did get violent. That was a new approach!

The Rev went on saying that Jason was the real victim. He then went on a rant about how the school was transforming males into girls for immoral reasons and that the school needed a change in leadership. The reporter asked what he meant by that and he said that all you had to do was look at the principal to see why things were so bad at the school. He stated that the school needed a man in charge and not a minority woman. He went on to describe how the contest had damaged the very moral fiber of normal society in town. It went on and on. He was a very disturbing person. I wished that his followers could see that.

"So, anything good in the paper?" asked Sam.

I had been so intent in my reading that I'd never heard him come downstairs.

"I used to think that the Rev was just a little nuts, but after reading his interview he is downright disturbing," I said, as I handed the article to Sam. There was also a photo of the Rev next to the article. "He even looks like a wacko."

Sam stood there and began to read the article. "Yes, this is very interesting. Are you done with it?" he asked.

"Sure, I'll get another copy on the way to school."

I watched as Sam read the article and looked at the picture very intently. I had seen him do this only when he was working on a case. "What's up?" I asked.

"I need to check something out," he stated. He immediately got up and put the article in his briefcase and gave me a hug. "Tell Jill I had to go in early. See you later."

I watched Sam leave and drive off to his office. Mom came down a few minutes later and I told her about Sam's behavior. "Well, I'm sure he'll tell us about it later. So was your article good?" she asked.

"The article was really good. However, they used my class photo and one from right after the trial. I'd have preferred that they used my homecoming photo."

"I can't wait to read it. I guess I'll have to stop and buy a few copies on the way to work."

I wondered what had caused Sam to run off so early. I finished getting ready for school. I knew that the next twenty-four hours would be very eventful.

Chapter One-Hundred-Ninety-Five

At least my drive to school was normal. I rode to school with Cat and Laura. We did make one deviation and stopped to get some copies of the paper. The guy at the counter of the store said that he'd never seen so many kids buy the paper before. I bought three copies just for myself.

We arrived at school and parked in our usual area. I grabbed the local section from one of the papers and left the rest. Cat and Laura each had their own copies.

"I can't believe he declared war on Mrs. Lee! He has no idea what he is doing!" stated Laura.

"I can't believe this guy gave such a bad interview. For a guy who craves media attention, he's certainly very inept around the press," added Cat.

"True, but maybe his crowd doesn't read the paper anyway," I added.

"Maybe they can't even read," joked Laura.

I looked ahead and saw many people wearing what looked like buttons in the school's colors. The background was silver and the lettering was red. Some had the circle with the line across over the word hate, others had it over bigotry. But the ones that really caught my eye just had the two capital letters EW on them. I turned around and saw Cat and Laura had put them on while I was walking ahead of them.

I stood there and smiled at them. "So, who organized this?"

"We had a little meeting this week. Paul suggested the idea for buttons and Rachael came up with using your initials, like she and the football team did. Kristen suggested the others with the no sign over the words. I'd like to take credit for organizing the meeting, but it was a popular uprising and it really didn't need someone to organize it," stated Laura.

"She's lying, Erika. Laura began calling around to everyone Sunday evening after she found out about the Rev's rally," confessed Cat. Laura gave her a dirty look and Cat responded by sticking out her tongue at Laura.

"Well, I'm very grateful." I gave them both a big hug, "So, do I get one?"

"Here," said Cat; she handed me a no hate button. I attached it to the front of my dress.

"Thank you very much!" I wore it like a medal.

It was pretty cool walking in and seeing so many students wearing the buttons. "They're all wearing them voluntarily? The football team didn't threaten or anything?" I asked jokingly.

"That depends on your definition of the term threaten!" quipped Cat. "It's all their decision to wear them."

When we got into homeroom I went up and hugged Paul. He initially acted as if he didn't know what I was talking about.

"Sorry, Paul, you were informed on. I truly appreciate your support." I gave him a big hug.

"That's what friends are for," he said. "Besides, I need to work on being an activist if I'm going to be a journalism major!"

The rally was fast becoming the main topic in our class. The articles were also a big topic. I got a lot of positive feedback from my friends and from a lot of other students. A few had me sign my name next to the article.

The interesting thing was the reaction of the juniors and sophomores, many of them offered their support to me. I guess they saw this as an attack on the school and the town, and therefore as an attack on themselves. Whatever the reasons I was pleased to have so much support.

We talked about this at lunch. Kristen agreed that the Rev's attacks had become very personal to many students.

"For many students this isn't either an anti-transsexual issue or an anti-gay issue, it's an attack on our town and school. I think his article will drive even more people into our camp," explained Kristen.

"Good point. By the way thank you for your support," I pointed to her button.

She just smiled and shrugged her shoulders. "You wouldn't believe the rejected ideas we had. Alex suggested that everyone crossdress today. We might have done that if we'd had more time to organize it!" smiled Kristen. "I'd have loved to have seen Alex in a skirt."

We all started laughing. It felt good to be joking with friends.

"You know maybe the town could make this an annual event?" suggested Tracey. "An diversity / equality / tolerance festival would be a nice legacy of this event."

Everyone just sat there and thought about Tracey's idea. It was a grand idea.

"I'll write up a petition and we can have people sign it at the rally tomorrow," volunteered Cat. "I'll get Ms. B's input too."

I thought about Mrs. Fuller, the woman from the scholarship committee, and her comments that our class was being the one that began to achieve the goals set by its founder. Maybe this was part of what she'd meant - that the school and the town have rallied to protect their values of equality and diversity. I hoped that this incident would only strengthen the scholarship program.

Chapter One-Hundred-Ninety-Six

The rest of school blew by and soon we were dismissed. We went back to my house and checked in with Marlene.

"I may be a little delayed getting to the coffeehouse tonight, someone slashed all my tires this afternoon. They also vandalized my Darwin fish! As Bugs Bunny often said 'Of course you realize that this means war!'" she quipped.

I laughed at her joke and I felt slightly sorry for the person who'd made Marlene's enemy list. "Did anyone see who did it?" I asked.

"No, it happened while I was in a meeting organizing the rally. I should have the new tires installed soon. Thankfully my organization insures my rolling office for such an emergency. By the way, your article is getting many compliments, especially compared to the Rev's interview."

"I appreciate the compliments, but a kid in kindergarten could give a better interview than the Rev did. Is he really that dumb or is he crazy like a fox?"

"I'm not sure. I haven't met him personally. But judging by his actions, I'd say that he isn't very intelligent. The really strange thing is that no one seems to know this guy. I've called all around the country, and it's like he just appeared out of nowhere. Well, I'll be there sometime this afternoon."

"Sounds great and sorry about your Darwin fish!"

"It wasn't the first one I've lost, and it won't be the last."

I hung up and could tell that Cat and Laura were a little confused about what I'd been talking to Marlene about. I explained what had happened.

Cat shook her head. "I have to give the Rev credit, he and his group must certainly feel very confident by the fact that they're declaring war on so many people at once."

"Yes but it does make him more dangerous, he might resort to something really violent. So you want to join us at Spencer's?"

"Sure sounds great," said Cat. "I'd love to hang out with the target!"

Bad humor again broke the tension.

We walked around the campus area before we went into Spencer's. We saw many signs up for the rally. There were a few 'Free Jason' stickers on some of the signs. Some of these were in turn vandalized, and a few had graffiti written on them. The funniest one said 'Free Jason with every 8 gallons of gas!'

Chapter One-Hundred-Ninety-Seven

As we reached Spencer's we saw Marlene getting out of a cab. "Hi, girls," she greeted us.

"Your car still being fixed?" I asked.

"They only had three replacement tires, so it's in the shop tonight. Just as well, since it's probably safer there. I also just got a call from Sandra and she said that she can't make it tonight, but she'll see you in the morning."

"How do you know Sandra?" I asked.

"Nancy Bell had her call me. I've talked to her many times, and she's also one of the speakers tomorrow," replied Marlene. "I'm very impressed with her."

We walked in and ordered our coffee and goodies. I went for the key lime pie, Cat had raspberry cheesecake, and Laura had the cherry cheesecake. Marlene just shook her head at us and ordered biscotti.

"How can you eat those really sweet desserts?" asked Marlene.

"Lots of running," I replied.

"Aerobics and yoga," Cat smiled.

"High metabolism," laughed Laura.

"Enjoy it while you can. By the way, I like the buttons, whose idea was that?"

"It was a group effort," admitted Cat. "Would you like some?"

Marlene nodded and Cat passed her a couple.

"Cat is also working on a petition to turn this rally into an annual diversity / equality / tolerance festival," announced Laura.

"That's a wonderful idea. You know that I have seen such good come out these sort of things," exclaimed Marlene. "Oh, you'll find this interesting. While I haven't found out a lot about the Rev's past, I have found that he and his group have been very active raising money around here. Although their fundraising tactics sound a little like mob strong-arm tactics. They often threaten to protest in front of stores unless they get their donation."

"Has anyone called the police on them yet?" I asked.

"No. They just don't want to be 'bothered'," explained Marlene, emphasizing bothered with her fingers.

"This is getting stranger all the time," added Cat.

I gave Marlene a copy of the short speech that I planned to give to at the festival. As she read it, I watched her reaction.

"This is good. I'm glad you are sticking with the positive aspects of our gathering tomorrow and not using it as an attack on the Rev," complimented Marlene.

"So what's the schedule for tomorrow?" I asked.

Marlene went over the schedule of speakers. She wanted to keep the speeches light, short, and positive. "Let the Rev's group rant and rave, we'll benefit by contrast to them. I also want people to have a chance to talk and meet each other," said Marlene.

"Will there be a stage or something like that?" asked Cat.

"Yes, we have one being assembled right now in our section of the park. We'll also have two security guards there to protect it overnight," stated Marlene.

"Is that really necessary?" asked Laura.

"Unfortunately, yes. If we leave it alone it's too tempting a target for vandalism," explained Marlene.

"This whole thing sounds pretty expensive," noted Cat.

"Yes, it is, but we're getting some things donated and the scholarship defense fund is contributing a lot. Fighting injustice isn't cheap. We've also received a few private donations from anonymous donors. We save money by keeping our salaries low!" she quipped.

I wondered if Mrs. Lincoln was one of the anonymous donors. It seemed like something she would do.

I went up to get a refill of my cappuccino. The guy behind the counter asked me about my button and whether it was connected to the rally downtown tomorrow.

"Yes, it is. You want one?" I asked.

"Sure, if you've got a bunch, you can put them in this bowl and I'll set it next to the tip jar," he offered.

I waved to Cat and she brought up the bag of buttons that Paul had given her. He put one of the EW buttons on his shirt.

"Thanks, so are you girls involved in the rally?" he asked.

"You could say that," replied Cat.

"Well, I'll be there tomorrow. I think it's great to see high school kids getting involved in social issues," he stated.

We walked back to the couch. Marlene smiled. "Let me know the cost for those buttons. My group will pay for them. I wish I'd known you were making them; we could have made a lot more."

Marlene asked if we could give her a ride back to her hotel. As we walked out, we saw many patrons wearing the buttons.

"So, will you need a ride to the rally in the morning?" asked Laura.

"No, some coworkers are arriving tonight, and I'll ride over with them. I'd like you there by 9:00 tomorrow, Erika. The rally won't start until noon, but I have some things I want to go over with you."

"So what should I wear tomorrow? I've never been to a rally like this before," I asked.

"Be yourself, dress for comfort, but don't give anyone reason to doubt you're a woman either," suggested Marlene.

Chapter One-Hundred-Ninety-Eight

We dropped her off at the hotel and then headed over to Laura's house.

Laura's cell phone rang and she answered it. The call was from Kristen, and she was calling to tell us that Alex's family was throwing a big party at their house on Monday and she wanted us to invite our families too. Kristen figured if she got one of us, she'd get the other two Musketeers!

"So we're the Three Musketeers now?" I asked, with a laugh.

"I kind of like it," replied Cat.

"Photo time!" announced Laura. She was standing there with her digital camera.

Cat turned to me and smiled. "I think she just likes looking at your boobs."

"That's part of it, but I want to keep up the documentation of growth," stated Laura.

I was taking off my top and bra. "You make it sound like you're recording the building of a national monument."

"Plural, monuments; there are two of them," corrected Cat.

I threw my t-shirt at her.

"I think you've had a growth spurt," noted Laura.

"You think so?" I asked looking down at them.

"Absolutely," added Laura.

They were getting bigger. They were now noticeable and my nipples were getting more sensitive all the time.

"If they keep growing like that, you can get rid of those boob pads soon," stated Laura.

She downloaded the photo from the camera and compared it to the first one. There was definitely a change. I was pretty excited about it.

I got dressed and we sat and talked about the rally in the morning.

"So, how are you going down there tomorrow?" asked Laura.

"Sam is taking me there, you want to ride down with us?" I asked.

Both Cat and Laura said yes, and I made sure they knew to be at my house early. I looked at the clock and saw that it was almost 10:30.

"I've got an idea. Let's go get some coffee and doughnuts and take them down to the security guards at the park!" I suggested.

"That sounds like fun, then we can see the stage too," agreed Laura.

We stopped at a 24-hour doughnut shop near the park. We bought a dozen doughnuts and got two large coffees, along with several sugar bags and creamer containers. Once at the park, we saw the stage with a small camper parked next to it. There was one uniformed security guard walking the perimeter. The other one must have been in the camper.

We got out and walked towards the security guard. He looked at us with suspicion until he recognized Laura.

"Laura, what are you doing out this late? Don't tell me you're involved with the rally?" he asked with a big smile on his face. He was a big man and looked to be in his early twenties.

Laura nodded yes. "We brought you guys a treat." Laura showing him the box. Of course the box was pink, being that is the international color for doughnut boxes, "These are my friends, Cat and Erika."

"Hi, I'm Laura's cousin Dave." He took the box and opened it up, "Hmmmm... doughnuts!" in his best Homer Simpson voice.

We all laughed. He picked up his radio and called his partner. Cat then handed him the coffee.

"This is an unexpected treat, so are you all involved in this event?"

"Yes, in fact Erika here is the guest of honor tomorrow," stated Laura.

"Of course! I thought you looked familiar, I read the article in the paper today. I want to wish you good luck tomorrow. So you are friends with Laura?"

"Yes you could say that," I said. I cracked a sly smile. Laura then put her arm around my waist.

He looked at the two of us and smiled. "You two make a nice couple! I take it the folks are doing better with accepting you?"

"Much better, thanks," replied Laura.

The other guard came up and gladly accepted the coffee. His name was Bernie.

"Thanks a lot! We don't get relieved until two," Bernie thanked us. He reached into the box for a doughnut.

We didn't want to bother them too long, so we said goodbye and left.

"So, tell us about Dave," I asked.

"He goes to Dewey and is a communication major. I knew he worked security part-time, but I didn't expect to see him here," stated Laura.

"Obviously he knows you're a lesbian; when did you tell him?" I asked.

"We've always been close, and he was my role model as he came out to his family when he graduated high school. I was impressed by the way he handled everything. He was the first person I told," Laura reminisced.

I could sense that he meant a lot to her.

"Well, I know that the stage will be well guarded tonight," I stated confidently.

Chapter One-Hundred-Ninety-Nine

I had a restless sleep, more out of excitement than fear, although I was somewhat anxious. I thought about how much my life had changed in the past year. A year ago I'd been stressing out about moving to some little town in Pennsylvania, and now I was living fulltime as a girl and was about to take on a religious wacko.

I did manage some sleep, but I was up at 5:30. I decided I needed a run and I changed into my shorts, sports bra, t-shirt and shoes. I was doing my stretches when I heard a knocking at my door.

"I'm up, come on in!" I was sitting on the floor stretching out my legs.

Sam popped his head inside. "Good, I was hoping you'd be up early. I thought you'd be going for a run. You want some company?"

"Sure. You think you can keep up?" I said with a laugh. Actually, I knew that Sam was in pretty good shape. Mom said that he often went for runs during his lunch break.

"I'll try," he replied.

We started out and headed towards the school. We kept a nice pace so we could talk.

"How're you feeling about today?" he asked.

"Not too bad. I'll be glad when it's over though."

"It'll be over today." There was a sense of finality in his voice.

I knew something was up, but I also knew he wouldn't be telling me right now. We continued on our pace. It was warm and pleasant. There were a few other runners out that morning, including a few with their dogs.

We made the turn and headed down the long road that headed out of town.

"So how long is this route?" asked Sam.

"Only six miles," I answered. I looked over and saw that he was barely breathing hard.

"Oh, okay. Nothing too hard then."

"You really think that it will be over today?" I asked.

"Yes, I do." He turned and smiled at me.

So much for getting him to give out any information; I guessed I'd have to wait until later to know what he was working on.

We made the turn back towards our neighborhood. As we passed the wooded area, there were several does and fawns on the edge of the woods. I pointed them out to Sam.

"Look, it's Bambi!"

"Venison," he answered.

I punched him in the arm for that comment. "So do you hunt?" I asked.

"No. I've had plenty of offers to go since I moved here, but it's never interested me. I like venison, but I don't see the fun in freezing my butt off in a deer stand all day to get some. Besides, I get plenty of venison from friends. I'll make you some Bambi chili this fall."

"You're awful." I was really enjoying this run.

We made our way down our street and reached our driveway. We were both sweaty and feeling very good. As I did my cool down period, I walked around the yard. I noticed something on the side of the house. I walked over and saw a big bush in a pot. Sam walked up and told me that Mom had picked it up yesterday and wanted to plant it in the spot where Jason attacked me.

"So when will we plant it?" I asked.

"How 'bout Monday morning?" said Sam.

"Sounds good. By the way, you and Mom are invited over to a party Monday." I went on to tell him about Alex's parents' invitation.

"That sounds like fun. I've met Alex's father a few times, always seemed like a nice guy," noted Sam.

I went in to shower and change. Mom was up and reading the paper in the kitchen. I yelled good morning to her on my way up the stairs. I took a nice long hot shower. The sensation of the water felt very good on my nipples and that made the shower last even longer.

I decided to wear a long, dark green cotton skirt, a lighter green sleeveless top and my sandals. I just knew I looked pretty! Mom made scrambled eggs for breakfast which really hit the spot.

I looked in the paper and saw that they already had responses to the articles in yesterday's paper. They were all e-mail responses. The comments about my article were mostly favorable. A few felt I was too young to transition. One person thought that I should have been required to get more counseling before being allowed to transition, but that was the closest thing to a negative comment.

The same couldn't be said for the Rev's interview. The negative ones accused him of being a homophobe. Another attacked him for his comments about Mrs. Lee. The author felt he was making a racist/sexist attack on her. A few others thought he was just plain nuts.

However, he did have his supporters. One blessed him for having the strength to tell the truth. Another called for an investigation of the school and recommended appealing Jason's case to the Supreme Court. I seriously doubted that these people would listen to a logical discussion.

I then noticed a rebuttal to Tuesday's letter concerning the trial. The letter refuted each point that the writer had made. They even included quotes from the trial. I then saw who wrote it - Cat and Laura. There was a note from the editor stating that the letter was signed by what appeared to be the entire senior class of Central High. I immediately felt my eyes tearing up.

Soon it was time to head over to the rally. Cat and Laura arrived and joined us in the car. I hugged and thanked them for the letter.

As we headed towards the park, I had the same feeling that I experienced just before a cross-country meet.

Chapter Two-Hundred

Marlene met us at the park. Sam took the car and drove it into the secure parking area behind the stage. A security guard directed us to a parking spot. The stage was all decorated with streamers and balloons. I looked down the street and could see the opposition. In some ways this was like those old Civil War battles as we were close enough to hear and see the enemy forces preparing.

Once Sam joined us, Marlene gave us a tour of the site. There was fence running up from the river to the road to keep us separated. I also noticed a lot of police around. Behind the stage was an RV that would act as our headquarters. As we walked around we could hear them testing the PA system. In front of the stage was a gentle hill. The stage was set up perfectly to take advantage of this natural amphitheater. At the top of the hill was an area set up with the porta-potties and a first aid station. I was also surprised to see vendors setting up food and drink trailers. I asked Marlene about them.

"Actually they showed up on their own. But I don't mind as it makes it seem even more like a festival. Besides, we're only allowing food and drink sales," said Marlene.

"Are there any down at the Rev's camp?" I asked.

"He wouldn't allow it, as it would compete with his group. Apparently his followers sell food and drink to the crowds and the Rev keeps the revenue," informed Marlene.

We walked back to the stage area. In addition to the RV, there was an area behind the stage with chairs and tables. Marlene wanted to go over the schedule of events with all the speakers. She hoped that most of the speakers would be here soon. I looked over the list and it was impressive. Marlene was the mistress of ceremonies and she would introduce the speakers. The mayor was going to open up the event, followed by Mrs. Lee, the president of Dewey College, and then a local minister. After he spoke there would be several speakers talking about how the scholarship program had had a positive effect on their lives. These included previous contestants including Sandra. Then there would be a few more civic and business leaders. I would be the last speaker. Marlene wanted to keep it moving quickly and avoid dead time. Additionally she insisted that the speeches stay short.

She said that she'd also coordinate any interview requests. Marlene had sent out a press release and she expected us to get some TV coverage. I was very impressed by Marlene's organization. They seemed to have everything covered. She even had someone watching the Rev's group and giving us updates on what they were doing.

Around 11:00 people began to arrive. Some brought blankets and spread them out on the grass. I watched from the stage. I saw many friends from school and I waved to them. To keep the atmosphere in a festive mood, the sound engineer put some music on the PA system. Looking out from the stage it looked more like a concert crowd than a social rally. There were even some beach balls bouncing through the people on the lawn.

"So, what do you think?" asked Marlene.

"I wasn't sure that anyone would show up. What sort of crowd is the Rev getting?" I asked.

"The last word I got he had around 50 people there," said Marlene, "His rally is due to start at noon, just like ours, so he still has around 45 minutes to get a bigger crowd."

"What do you think our numbers are?" I asked.

"I'd estimate almost 800 right now, but I expect that to at least double before we start. It's hard to say, being this is a holiday weekend."

"Wow!" I exclaimed. "Just in case I forget later on, I want to thank you for everything you've done for me."

"You're welcome. It's been great working with you," she smiled.

We walked back to the rest area and sat down. I looked over my speech and prayed that I wouldn't mess it up!

Chapter Two-Hundred-One

By the time the event was ready to start, Marlene guessed that the crowd was almost 1,500 people. She told me that maybe 200 people were down at the Rev's group, and many of them were there out of curiosity.

Marlene went up on the stage and welcomed everyone to the rally. She thanked them all for taking time out of their busy weekend to come down and show that hate and intolerance have no place in Golden Hill. She was getting a good response from the crowd. She then introduced the mayor and he started his little speech. I really didn't pay that much attention to his speech, as I was distracted by Sam's actions. He was talking to Officer Tom Bell and two men in suits. I had no idea who they were, but they really looked out of place. Sam then got in the police car with Tom and the two guys in the suits and they drove away. They were followed by two more squad cars. The mystery deepened!

Mrs. Lee was up next, and she spoke on all the good things that happened at Central High and how the scholarship program was part of it. She gave quite a passionate speech and asked the community to continue to support the school and the program.

The minister who spoke said that while we don't have to agree with everyone's ideas, we do need to be tolerant of differences. He said that hate and intimidation were not family values. He also vented a bit on hate mongers who wrap themselves falsely around the bible to get followers. That got a lot of applause and cheering.

Sandra led a group of previous contestants up on stage. She talked about how the program had given her a chance to come out and live the life she was meant to. The other three were all guys who had won the scholarship in previous years. All were regular heterosexual guys. Two were married and one was in the military. They all talked about how the program taught them tolerance, acceptance, and an ability to look at things from more than one view. Additionally they said that without the scholarship they wouldn't have gone to college. They all got lots of applause.

The next group up were the business leaders. I was caught slightly off guard by seeing Mrs. Lincoln lead them up onto the stage. I hadn't seen her name on the list, and to be honest, I didn't even see her arrive. She gave a very eloquent speech on how the town had changed for the better in the past eighteen years. She went on to say that it would be ridiculous for us to step backward just because of a few bigots and fanatics. The cheering was very loud after her speech. The next person had to wait until it was quiet enough to start talking again. I was very proud of her and I went over and gave her a big hug.

"Thank you so much."

"You are quite welcome, my dear. The nerve of that man coming in here and harassing one of my girls."

I was about to walk back up on stage when I heard police sirens in the direction of the Rev's rally. I looked over that way, but couldn't make out what was happening. I sat down behind the stage and waited for my turn to speak. Mom came over and sat next to me.

"Where did Sam go?" I asked.

"He said he had some urgent business to attend to," explained Mom. "I have no idea either!"

"Who were those two guys in the suits?" I asked.

"No idea, but Sam seemed to be expecting them," answered Mom.

I took a drink from my water bottle. I looked around, but didn't see Cat or Laura.

"If you're looking for your friends, they're working the crowd collecting signatures for their petition to make this an annual event. I think Terri and several more of your friends are helping them," explained Mom.

I got a bit choked up thinking about what good friends I had here. I looked up at the stage and saw Marlene waving me up. I got up and Mom gave me a hug and I walked up to the stage. The steps suddenly looked like mountains, but I was able to make it up them. I stood next to Marlene as the last speaker finished up her speech.

When she was done, Marlene went up to the microphone and made a short introduction. I tried to act calm as I walked out to meet Marlene. I was blown away by the applause and cheering that greeted me. It was very heartwarming as I felt their support. I had to wait until they calmed down before I began to talk.

"I want to thank all of you for coming out here today. It means so much to see so many people out here to stand up against hate. It's very frightening to know that you have been singled out for harassment for something beyond your control. So I really appreciate that you could see through that lies of this small group of misguided people who have selected me as the focal point for their intolerance. We all know that this gathering has nothing to do with the assault on me or the trial of my attacker. It's all about tolerance, acceptance, and equality for everyone."

I paused for a second and caught my breath. I waited until the clapping stopped.

"Thanks to the trial and the events of the past few weeks, my life has been made very public, so there is no need for me to tell you my story. Yes, I am a transsexual. No, the scholarship program didn't convert me, I was born this way."

I had to pause again due to clapping.

"I am not doing this to make a point or to shock anyone; all I want to do is to feel whole and complete. Gender is something that most of us just accept as a given; that if a person is born in one gender then that's the way they should live their life. But as you can see, it isn't always so simple. However, I really do appreciate that you all came out and are here today to support the school, the town, and me... even if you do not agree with my personal decision to transition."

I took a drink of water and continued.

"I think that we can get along even if we don't agree about everything. I think that the very fact that we have so many people here today proves that. Thank you all, and have a wonderful day!"

I felt Marlene's hand on my shoulder and we stood there as people clapped and cheered. I looked around and waved to friends in the crowd. I glanced over at the side of the stage and saw Sam being talked to by a TV reporter.

I was about to walk off the stage, but Marlene asked me to stay with her. When the noise decreased, Marlene made one last announcement. Actually it was more like a request.

"There are petitions going around the crowds to make this an annual event. Imagine a yearly festival to celebrate diversity in the individual and to show that society doesn't just survive diversity but thrives and grows! So please sign them," she asked. "Before you leave, take the time to talk to the people around you. Look around and try to meet at least one or two new people. You need to take the ideals of this rally and apply them to your everyday lives. Thank you all again, and have a great weekend."

Chapter Two-Hundred-Two

With that the official part of the rally was over. We watched as people began to greet each other and talk. We walked off the stage and I was immediately met by Mom who gave me a long hug. That was just the first of many hugs and kisses from friends. Laura threw in a long kiss too! Marlene told me that there were several interviews set up for me. I guessed this was my fifteen minutes of fame and willingly became a media star!

During the last interview, the TV reporter asked me what I thought about the arrest of the Rev. I was shocked and said that I knew nothing about that. The camera was turned off and the reporter told me that the FBI had just arrested the Rev on several outstanding warrants. I was stunned and couldn't help but smile about it.

After she left I was able to track down Sam. I walked over and he gave me a huge hug.

"So, can you tell me now what happened?" I asked.

"First off, you were wonderful up there, I'm so proud of you," beamed Sam. "When I saw the photo of him and read the article, something in my mind clicked. I went in and check the computers. There was something familiar about him from when I was on the Philly PD."

"What did he do?" I asked.

"He was into armed robbery then. I never arrested him, but I remembered his case. He moved away from that kind of crime and he was wanted for a variety of scams and financial fraud. He was wanted in six different states. I figured the Feds would want him first, as he had also violated several federal laws," Sam explained.

"So, everything he did was all a scam?" I asked.

"No, he really is a religious nut; he got his mail-order divinity degree during his first stay in prison. Since then he has used it as part of his criminal activities. He felt that he was doing God's work by robbing and stealing from people. His interview answers are what really tipped me off. I remember the other guys talking about his rants during his trial and something sounded familiar. Several of his followers also had outstanding warrants for a variety of offenses. They're sitting in our jail awaiting their rides," continued Sam.

"Okay, why would a wanted felon seek publicity? It doesn't make sense!"

"The man has a huge ego. I think he thought that we were a small town, far from any big media center, and that no one would know who he was. He was wrong," said Sam with a big smile on his face.

I could see a sense of satisfaction on his face.

"You miss it, don't you?" I asked.

"You mean making arrests? Yes, I do a little. I love being a prosecutor and putting them away, but there is a certain sense of accomplishment when you arrest someone like the Rev," explained Sam.

"Thank you again, Dad!" I exclaimed. We hugged again, and then I went out in the crowd with Cat and Laura.

Cat showed me a big stack of petitions - all signed. We saw Ms. B and we handed them to her. I was zoning out about then and was kinda in a fog, so details are pretty fuzzy. I was just so relieved that it was over and I could relax for now. The stress of the past few weeks had blown away.

We stayed around the park for a couple of hours. It was nice just talking to people and being outside on a beautiful day. I ran into several people from Spencer's. They all said that it was a great event. I lost track of everyone I saw there that day. I was pleasantly surprised to see Dana there. I hadn't seen her in months. She seemed much more relaxed and less angry than before. I hoped she had turned her life around.

Cat, Laura, and I headed back to the stage area. Mom and Terri were talking to Jenny and Coach Chambers. Sam and Marlene were drinking beer and sitting on the back on the stage. Ms. B came up and joined them. It's a bit strange seeing your teachers socialize and drink with your parents. Still there was a feeling of celebration in the air. I grabbed a diet cola and sat down next to Sam. Laura came up and joined me. She put her arm around my waist. Cat grabbed a bottle of water and stood in front of Sam. She was very interested in the arrest of the Rev, and Sam was more than happy to tell her about it.

The area soon became a magnet for my friends. Paul and Caroline soon showed up, as did Alex and Kristen. Mike and Tracey showed up a few minutes later. I was pleased to see Mel and Cliff come over. Mel came over to me and held out her hand and showed me her engagement ring.

I jumped off the stage and hugged her and then I gave Cliff a big hug, "Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!" I exclaimed.

"He proposed last night. We may be engaged for a while, as we both want to wait until after we graduate next year, but at least it's official now!" explained Mel.

I introduced them to everyone. After they walked away, Mom asked me where I knew Mel's fianc. "He's the one I punched in the nose at the mall," I answered with a laugh.

Coach looked at me. "I'd like to hear that story."

So I told them about Cliff and his 'joke' in the hallway. I also told them that he was one of the people who'd helped me when I had my collapse.

It was that sort of afternoon. It was a time to relax and sit around and tell stories. Our little gathering slowly grew. Kristen's parents came over, as did Alex's parents. I sat there and soaked it all in. It was the kind of day that you wanted to bottle and save for another time. You'd then open it up on some dreary day when everything was going wrong and pour out a glass of good feelings and to brighten up the day. I sat back down next to Laura and rested my head on her shoulder. The storm had passed.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Three

The post-rally party moved over to our house. Sam suggested that we hold a barbecue and it sort of snowballed from there. We didn't have enough food for everyone, but that problem was soon solved. Mom and Terri gave out assignments for food and drink and we scattered to the four winds, like a scavenger hunt.

Within an hour we had reassembled and the grill was heating up. Of course open flame cooking was Sam's domain, but he was getting plenty of help from the other fathers. It's amazing how much guys get into grilling food. It must be something out of our prehistoric past.

Alex brought out a Frisbee and soon we had a game of Frisbee football going on in the back yard. I went upstairs to change. You really can't run in a long skirt very well!

My Team was Alex, Laura, Kristen, Marlene, Coach Chambers, Jenny, Sandra, and Tom Bell. The other team was made up of Cat, Mike, Rachael, Tracey, Cliff, Mel, Ms. B, Paul, and Caroline. We had better overall speed on our team, but they had better hands.

The final score was in dispute and both sides claimed victory. Alex said there'd be a rematch, with a scorekeeper, at the party on Monday. Luckily the food was ready and we forgot about the game.

Soon everyone was sitting around eating and talking. These sorts of parties at my house were a new experience. Back in San Diego we didn't entertain a lot. Part of it was due to the fact that Mom worked a lot. There was also the fact our family wasn't very close, but enough of that.

Later on that evening after everyone left, Mom, Sam and I were sitting out on the deck. They were drinking coffee and I had a mug of tea. I looked over and saw that Sam had his arm around Mom and she was cuddling up next to him. They both looked so happy and content. I couldn't help but smile.

"What are you so happy about?" asked Sam.

"Everything I guess, but at the moment I'm happy for you two."

"We do make a pretty nice family!"

"I think so," added Mom.

"So, do you think that this is the end of the protests?" I asked Sam.

"Well, it should be. The newspaper will have a big article on the unsavory past of the Rev and his followers. Marlene expects that his website will be closed down and any groups that gave him support will be pulling away quickly. I imagine that they'll do anything to avoid being associated with him."

"So anyone who picked up his torch on this issue would face guilt by association?" asked Mom.

"Pretty much. They'll have to find some new issue to attack," stated Sam.

"I hope he gets a cell near Jason," I quipped.

"From what I heard from the Feds, there's a real scramble for him. They think that Texas has the best shot at him, no pun intended," smiled Sam. He was proud of that one.

A few minutes later they said goodnight and headed inside. I decided to stay out for a few more minutes. I liked the fact that I was totally comfortable being alone, outside at night. I also liked looking at the lightning bugs. We didn't have those back in San Diego. Sam said this was the first time he'd seen them this year.

I thought about the coming weeks. As a senior I had less than two weeks of school left. We had a couple of days of final exams and then graduation. I was lucky as I only had finals in four classes, so I wouldn't be overwhelmed academically.

There was also our senior class night, a week from Friday. That was the night when they'd give out awards and honors along with music and comedy skits. It promised to be a lot of fun. Graduation was on Tuesday of the following week, followed by Grad Night at the school, then the private parties. Cat said that the parties last all night and into the morning. Wednesday was when the real world would arrive. We'd no longer be seniors, and thoughts of jobs and college would dominate our lives.

Of course, being me, I had to take on a few additional challenges. There would be my trip up to NYC to get my nose fixed. We were going to leave on the Thursday after graduation. This would give us a weekend to have fun before I had my surgery.

It was no longer going to be just Mom and I. Terri, Cat, and Laura were now joining us on the journey. We already had reservations for our hotel. Granted it wouldn't be a suite overlooking Central Park, but it was still midtown. Tony had confirmed that he'd be our driver. We also had tickets to a Broadway show on Friday evening. It would be a lot of fun, at least until I had my surgery. Dr. Ayres said that he would prefer to wait at least another year before working on the scar. He said he had some non-surgical techniques that he'd like to try first. I was presently using a cream that he'd suggested. It did seem to be working a little. He had also sent me a lot of info about the surgery and the aftermath.

Then there was the wedding. Terri was in constant communication with Mom and Sam on the planning. The date was set and invitations were sent out. As it would be the middle of summer, Mom didn't want an overly formal wedding. She wasn't going to wear a full bridal gown. She was working with Cindy, and they had narrowed her choices down to ten or twenty dresses. The bridesmaids' dresses were also going to be simple yet elegant. Although I was a bit disappointed that Mom wasn't going to have the full-blown bridal gown, I was also relieved that I wouldn't be wearing some classically ugly bridesmaid dress. Well at least not at Mom's wedding. I've had the 'honor' of wearing several gowns in the past few years, some of which were truly hideous - I hate butt bows! I won't name names, as I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings!

I finally decided to head back inside. Oh, I had other things to ponder, but it was late and I was starting to get sleepy. I still wanted to know who was the third!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Four

I did have to go to work on Sunday. But the good news was that we'd be closed on Monday. Mrs. Lincoln didn't believe in her staff working holidays. I was up before Sam and Mom, as usual! I was reading the articles on the rally yesterday. I was going to have a really good scrapbook from my senior year. Between homecoming, the attack, the trial, the fashion show, and the whole Rev incident, I had been in the paper a whole bunch of times. We had taped the evening news and I planned to watch it later on.

The article on our rally was very favorable. The Rev's arrest overshadowed his little rally. Apparently some of his followers also had stolen goods in their campers from a series of robberies over in Red Hill.

The editorial section was also filled with comments, mostly favorable, about the rally. A few thought that it was a bit overdone; they felt that the rally was too big and that simply ignoring the Rev would have worked just as well. Obviously I disagreed with that opinion! There were no favorable comments about the Rev.

I shifted to the Times and read a highly praising review for the show we were going to see. I was really looking forward to seeing it, especially with my closest friends.

The sound of the shower draining told me that that they were getting up and moving. I turned on the coffee machine and then went back to the paper. It was nice to be able to relax after the stress of the previous week. I did want to write some thank you notes to all the people who had spoken yesterday. Marlene said she'd provide me with their addresses.

Speaking of Marlene, she was originally going to leave today, but she'd decided that she would stick around for the party tomorrow. She said that she could use a few days to unwind and Sam and Mom had invited her over for Sunday dinner. Sam had a friend who was dropping off some trout that he had caught. It seemed the guy loves fishing but doesn't like the taste of fish! I wasn't a big lover of fish myself, but Sam promised me that I'd love how he cooked them. I preferred the type of seafood that comes in a shell; you know crab, lobster, or shrimp! Sam told me that there were none of those in our creeks and rivers, so it would have to be trout tonight!

Sam and Mom came down together and went right to the coffeepot. "Thank you for starting it up," mumbled Sam.

"Someone isn't quite awake yet, I see," I stated in my best cheerful voice.

He stuck his tongue out at me!

Mom suggested waffles for breakfast. She had just bought a new waffle iron and wanted to try it out. I said that sounded good, and Sam grunted something that sounded like vaguely affirmative.

I really wasn't THAT big of a morning person, but I just felt SO good that the Rev was gone.

The new waffle iron worked really well, making those really thick Belgian waffles. Sam suggested them for desert some night. He said you pop a hot waffle on the plate and then put a big scoop of ice cream on top of it. It sounded very fattening and very good.

We talked about planting the bush tomorrow morning. Sam said that he'd have to go to the home and garden store, as we didn't have a shovel. He said that he'd also look for a lawnmower. We'd been borrowing Terri's. We really were becoming a suburban, home-owning family!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Five

Work was a lot of fun. Mel was so excited about being engaged. She kept looking at her ring, even when we weren't looking! Cindy made sure that we actually worked and didn't just talk to each other. It was hard to concentrate on folding blouses when it was so nice outside.

Cindy came over and asked me why I was so sluggish today. "You're usually a much better worker," she remarked.

"I'm sorry, I guess that I just feel so free and relaxed now that the Rev is gone."

"That's understandable, but I still need you to focus," she stated with a smile.

I made an effort to work harder for the rest of the day. The last thing I wanted to do was appear ungrateful to my co-workers!

Laura came in near closing time and asked me if I needed a ride home.

"Sure, but tomorrow I'll have my car! And then I can start driving you around."

"Just as long as I can still take you for a ride every now and then," quipped Laura with a sly smile on her face.

After work Laura said she had something to show me. We drove over to the community center. This was a large athletic complex just outside of town. They had ball fields and basketball courts. Laura drove me there to show me that the pool was now open.

"So?" I asked.

"Well, this is the best summertime hangout spot in town. We get in free this summer because we are graduating seniors," she explained.

"I don't have a bathing suit," I replied, hoping to change the conversation.

"We'll go shopping for one this week. I really want to see you in a bikini," smiled Laura.

I started to laugh, and then I realized that she was serious. "No way!"

"Come on, I've been checking out a few that would look great on you."

"I'm sure you have!" I replied. Laura had a wicked smile on her face. "But there are some concealment issues we need to consider."

"I've thought of that and I have a solution." We turned around in the parking lot and headed back towards town.

"Want to share them with me?" I asked.

"Well, you were able to conceal yourself pretty well during cross- country, and those shorts were pretty tight," she stated.

"That's true, but the shorts also concealed my gaff, and I doubt that a bikini bottom will do that." I was having an argument that would have seemed impossible a year earlier!

"Yes, I know, but I talked to a seamstress and she says that she can sew a gaff in so that it looks like part of the suit," said Laura. She was smiling triumphantly.

"Okay, so what about the top? I'm growing, but I'd still look rather flat chested."

"I've got that solved too. The seamstress says there are two options. The first one is that we can have pockets built into the top so you can slide your boob pads in. I've checked, and yes, your pads are safe to wear in a pool. The second option is to sew in pads so your top will act like a push-up bra," she explained.

"This sounds too expensive, I need to save up for school and then there is the car."

"Bad excuses, you are about to win a full scholarship in less than three weeks. Your car is paid off, you told me that this morning."

I sat there and looked over at Laura. The smile on her face was huge.

"Shit! Okay stop gloating. You win. So how long will this take to make?" I asked. I was trying to imagine how I'd look in a bikini.

"I'll be taking you there Tuesday, and you'll have it by Friday. Which is good, because our senior picnic is going to be held at the pool the next Friday. I want to get you out and work on your tan before the picnic."

"You're lucky I love you so much," I replied.

"There's one other thing, I made an appointment for you to get a bikini waxing at the salon," added Laura.

"Ohhh, that sounds like fun," I exclaimed sarcastically.

Laura described the procedure and assured me that it wasn't as bad as it sounded.

"You'll thank me when you see how hot you look." smiled Laura. She then licked her lips with her tongue.

"You're so bad!" I said, and we both started laughing.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Six

Laura stayed for dinner. She loved fresh trout. I had to admit it was pretty good. Marlene brought over a tape of the TV coverage of the rally and the Rev's arrest. We watched my interview several times. Laura said that I looked pretty cute. We also watched Sam's interview a few times. I noticed that look of satisfaction when he talked about the arrest of the Rev and his group. Sam said that it was a fringe benefit of the job and that it made all the hard work worthwhile. I could see why Cat wanted to go into law enforcement.

After the 'DA & Daughter Show', as Mom called it, Laura suggested that she and I go down to Spencer's. Mom didn't mind, but told me not to be out too late. I appreciated her concern, even if I didn't show it. I said good night to Marlene and we left.

"So, you get the car tomorrow?" asked Laura as we drove over to Spencer's.

"Yes. We're going to get it right after the bush planting. You are coming over for that?" I asked.

"I never miss a ceremonial bush planting," stated Laura with a laugh. "What time?"

"By tradition it's supposed to be done around 9:00AM. It'll be nice to see something growing there." I paused for a second and was suddenly awash in memories of that horrible night.

There was a long silence after that.

We found a parking spot only a block away from Spencer's and walked in. The guy behind the counter recognized me and gave me my cappuccino and pie on the house. I appreciated it and I tried to shake off the memories. We sat down in our usual spot on the couch.

"You want to talk about it?" asked Laura.

"Is it that obvious?" I replied softly.

"I'm not Sherlock Cat, but I can tell when something is bothering you," stated Laura. She put her hand on my shoulder.

"I was just thinking about the night of the attack. It's no big deal."

"Bullshit!" exclaimed Laura "It's a big deal. I saw how quiet you got in the car. Let it out."

I smiled. "Nice bedside manner." I was actually grateful that Laura pressed me to talk about it. It was reassuring that she cared so much about me.

"Hey, I want to go into politics, not therapy," replied Laura. "Seriously, tell me what's on your mind."

"I'll be glad when the bush is planted and that ground is exorcised of the evil that occurred there," I answered very softly.

I took a drink from my cappuccino.

"You know what happened, so I don't need to replay that, but what I've never been able to fully express is the fear that I felt that night. I was so close to safety and yet I might as well have been on the other side of the world. I was praying that someone would see us and I was also terrorized by the idea if Mom or Cat or Terri came out that he'd hurt them too!" I began to feel very emotional and my voice wavered a little.

I took another sip of cappuccino. Laura looked at me. "I'm here for you."

"Thanks. It seemed he was on top of me for hours. Time really slowed down. I also thought about being killed there. I thought about the pain and shock to Mom and my friends if I was found dead there." I paused to wipe away some tears that were dripping down my face. It was a soft cry, sort of like a gentle spring rain.

Laura pulled me close to her. "Let it out." We hugged for a long time.

"Thanks. You're the first person other than Jenny and Mom that I've told about that."

"I'm honored. Don't worry, this will be just between us. But be sure to talk to Jenny about this."

"Thanks." I wiped away my tears. I could definitely tell that my emotional state was changing. I knew that Laura was right and I needed to tell Jenny about this incident.

"You okay now?" asked Laura.

"Yes, much better, thanks for listening," I took a small bite of my pie. "Sorry for being such a pain."

"You're not a pain." She pulled me close to her and we kissed.

We hung out at Spencer's for another hour or so before heading home.

"You going to be okay" asked Laura, as we pulled into the driveway.

"Yes, I think so," I replied. We kissed long and passionately. "I love you."

"I love you too. Call me if you have any problems."

"I will." I knew she was worried that I'd start having nightmares again. I didn't want to worry her, but I'd never really stopped having them, it was just that I was learning to live with them, thanks to Jenny. I kept my log and I was e-mailing Jenny about the really bad ones. The good thing was that they weren't as intense as the earlier ones, and I didn't wake up in a cold sweat from them.

We kissed again and I went inside. I actually felt good about my little outburst. I also was so in love with Laura. We had a goofy sort of relationship, but when it came down to the bottom line, I knew she'd be there 100 percent for me. Mom and Sam were still up and sitting out on the deck. I made a cup of tea and went out to join them. Yes, I know I drink a lot of caffeine but it really doesn't bother my ability to sleep. I also thought decaffeinated tea tasted awful.

I did tell them about my conversation with Laura. I was following Jenny's advice and being totally honest with Mom and Sam, and, yes, they knew about my nightmares. It was difficult at times being so honest and open with them about the attack, as I didn't want them to worry about me.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Seven

I had a pretty good night's sleep, no nightmares. I slept lightly but I think that was more due to the excitement of getting the car and the planting ceremony. I was also excited about the big party at Alex's barn.

The weather was warm and pleasant, and I dressed in a pair of shorts, a gray sleeveless t-shirt, and sport sandals.

I was surprised to see Sam and Mom up before me. They were reading the paper out on the deck. I went and joined them, after grabbing a glass of orange juice.

"Good morning," I greeted as I sat down. "You guys are up early."

"Well, we wanted to be up and awake for the planting," stated Mom. "I'm going to make some blueberry pancakes for breakfast."

"Are they going to be plate sized?" I asked.

Sam looked at me like I was nuts.

"I was just thinking about those," said Mom.

I turned to Sam. "There is a small restaurant back in San Diego called the Big Kitchen and they serve plate-sized pancakes. The blueberry ones are so full of blueberries that they pop out," I replied. "The funny thing is that it's in the Golden Hill section of San Diego."

"That sounds great!" stated Sam. "But aren't you exaggerating about the size?"

"Nope, she's telling the truth, Sam. They really are plate sized," agreed Mom.

Sam was still a bit skeptical. I said that if we ever got back out there we'd take him there.

The pancakes were good and it was a fitting meal before a bush planting ceremony.

Cat, Laura, and Terri all arrived around 9:00 and we started to dig the hole. I was pleasantly surprised to see Jenny pull in the driveway with Coach.

"Who else did you invite?" I asked Mom.

"Just a few others," she answered.

"It's very nice looking, where did you buy it?" asked Jenny, as she looked at the plant.

"I bought it from Roger the Shrubber," said Sam with a straight face, "He designs, arranges, and sells shrubberies."

Everyone broke out laughing except Mom and Terri. They obviously weren't fans of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. My opinion of Sam just skyrocketed upward!

"Ni!" I said. That caused more laughter and more strange looks from Mom and Terri. I'd tried to get Mom to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail a few times, but she just thought it was stupid.

Sam explained that the bush was a Compact European cranberry bush viburnum and it was just starting to bloom. There were small clusters of white flowerets, arranged in a pinwheel pattern. He said that the scent would be spicy-sweet and it would produce clusters of translucent bright red berries. The leaves would turn purplish-red in the fall and eventually it could grow to be six feet tall and equally wide!

"I'm impressed, Dad. I didn't know you were a plant expert," I remarked.

"I'm not. I just have a good memory," replied Sam with a smile. "Roger taught me all I ever needed to know about shrubbery."

Within the next fifteen minutes, Paul, Caroline, Marlene and Ms. B all joined us. Mom said that looked like everyone. I suddenly remembered something and ran back into the house for a second. There was something that I wanted to bury in the hole.

When I came back down we started the ceremony. I'm not sure if there are rules for something like this, so we just made them up as we went along. Basically we all stood around the hole and each person got to say something if they wanted to. I got to go first. "I hope that this plant serves as a refuge for birds and animals and it cleans the land," I said. I felt myself choking up a bit. I would have said more, but I didn't want to break down. I guess my hormones were extra active that morning.

That seemed to be the sentiment as each person spoke. Just before we put the bush in the hole, I tossed in my hospital wristband from the night I was attacked. No one said a thing, but I got a lot of smiles. The bush was set down in the hole and we filled in the dirt gently around it. I got down on my knees and scooped dirt into the hole. I was joined by Laura, Cat and everyone else for that matter! I pulled out the hose and I watered it. The ceremony was over in a few minutes, and Mom brought out some sparkling cider to toast the event. It would have been cooler to use real champagne but I was still just seventeen.

It was a pleasant little ceremony, and I really felt that we were healing the earth. I also felt that I was healed somewhat myself. We went back to the deck to talk and continue the celebration. Jenny said that it had been a great idea and that she would suggest it to others in a similar circumstance. She said that it was nice that it cleansed the area of the crime that had occurred.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Eight

Most people left within the hour, as they had to get ready for the barbecue over at Alex's house. I thanked them all for showing up. Soon the only guests left were Cat, Terri, and Laura. Terri and Mom went into the kitchen to finish making their food for the picnic.

Sam looked at me and smiled. "I suppose you want to get your car, or would you rather wait until next weekend?" he said.

"You've got to be kidding!" I exclaimed. "Lets go!"

Cat and Laura joined us as we drove out to the State Police Barracks. We met the trooper and he took us back to get the car.

"Nice car," noted Cat, "but I thought you said it was a sedan, I only see two doors. I think that makes it a coupe." She was standing there smiling at me.

"Yes, Sherlock, I know. I've been corrected many times for that mistake," I grumbled, in mock anger.

"Well, if you want to be a teacher, then you need to be accurate."

"Keep that up and I won't give you a ride!" I said as I started to laugh.

Cat made a face like her feelings were hurt for a second. Then she joined me in laughing.

Laura then piped in, "What difference does it make what it's called? I think it's a nice car!"

Cat just shook her head in disgust at us.

We finished the paper work and it was time to drive home. Sam said for me to follow him home. Cat climbed in the back and Laura sat in the passenger seat. It drove very nicely. I was very attentive to my driving especially because I wasn't used to the car yet. I wanted to drive around some more but I kept my promise and followed Sam back to the house.

"So how does it ride?' asked Sam as we walked back into the house.

"Really nice!"

"By the way, just because I'm the DA doesn't mean that you get out of tickets, so watch your speed," he explained.

"Yes, Dad!" I replied.

Sam walked inside and then I heard Cat and Laura speak in unison, "Yes, Dad!" with heavy sarcastic overtones.

"Hey, you know that I don't have a lot of experience in this area," I replied with a laugh. We then went inside.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Nine

Mom and Sam agreed that I could drive it over to Alex's house, but that they wanted me to take it easy.

We loaded up some of the stuff in the car and headed over to Alex's house. Mom, Sam, and Terri were driving over together.

As we drove over Cat brought up the bikini topic. "I must say that I'm looking forward to seeing you in a bikini at the senior class party."

"That makes two of you," I smiled.

"Yes, but Laura's interest is strictly sexual, I just want to see how well you adjust to wearing a bathing suit in public," commented Cat.

"Hey! My interest isn't just sexual - well, maybe some of my interest is - but I'm concerned about her transition too," smiled Laura.

We were stopped at a light and we both looked at her in disbelief.

"Okay, I admit that I am very interested in seeing you in a bikini and that I know you'll look really hot," stated Laura.

"That's better," smiled Cat.

"I'm glad to see that girls can be as sexist as guys! I was afraid to say that I can't wait to see Laura in her bikini!" I quipped.

We all began to laugh.

I really was going to miss us hanging out all the time, and I was really going to miss Laura when she goes off to State. We pulled into Alex's driveway, and were immediately surrounded by our friends. The guys were very interested in my car. They popped the hood and made a bunch of comments on the engine and other parts. Look, I had trouble distinguishing between a coupe and a sedan, so they might as well been speaking Greek. Okay, I wasn't that ignorant, but you get the general idea.

We took the food out of the trunk and delivered it to Alex's parents. They had put out quite a spread. It was nice spending a holiday with good friends. Alex said that he wanted to have a barbecue on July fourth and then continue it every year so we could get together as a group at least once a year. No one at the time thought he'd pull it off, but he did. In fact, it's still an annual event for our class. People come from all across the country for it.

The volleyball net was set up, and there was also an open area that could serve as the Frisbee football field. Alex told us that his parents originally wanted to put in a pool there, but they'd decided against it.

The crowd got bigger. It would take up too much space to list everyone who was there, but just about every close friend from school was there. I got picked for a volleyball team by Alex, Kristen, Mike, and Alex's younger brother, Nick and we couldn't get off the court! We won four straight games, and we finally stepped off undefeated, as we wanted to eat.

Mike was convinced more that ever that I was their good luck charm. "You'd better come down for our games this fall!"

I sat down near Tracey as we ate. Tracey told me that Mike was very superstitious when it came to sports. She said that he had all sorts of rituals and that she'd given up trying to understand them.

"So, you don't mind him considering me their lucky charm?' I asked.

"At first I did. You know that it's taken me longer to warm up to you. Initially I was downright resentful of you, especially when you got selected for homecoming. I thought your election made a mockery of the whole thing. I almost dropped out, but I went along with it because of Kristen. But now I know I was wrong, and I am very proud to be you friend," she stated.

"I appreciate your honesty, and I'm proud to be your friend too."

"You've really won over a lot of people with the way you handled yourself this year, and I'm just not talking about the whole assault and trial thing. You really tried to just fit in. I think what really won me over was the fact that you didn't feel sorry for yourself. You could have easily used your misfortune to try and make people pity you, but you didn't. I don't think I could have been that brave," continued Tracey.

"Don't sell yourself short. Trust me, there were times that I really wanted to have everyone feel sorry for me. But something inside yourself makes you move on. The trick is to know when you are exceeding it. I found that out the hard way."

"I guess you did. We were really worried about you when you missed those two weeks of school," replied Tracey.

"Thanks. I hope that I don't have a repeat of that," I replied softly. It was always in the back of my mind that I might have another relapse. It still is.

We talked for a while longer. I was glad we cleared the air, I only wished we had done it earlier in the school year.

After I ate and rested a little I was drawn back onto the volleyball court. Alex reformed the team with one change, Cat replaced Kristen, who just wanted to watch and take pictures. We became a real juggernaut and beat one team after another. We even beat an all guy team formed by some of Alex's teammates. We surrendered the court after winning six straight games. With all the jumping around, I was definitely glad I'd worn a sports bra.

Cat noticed my discomfort and laughed. She came over and whispered, "Wait until they get bigger!"

Alex's father had dug a big fire pit and planned to light up a bonfire after dark. I had been to a few parties on the beach and we'd always had a fire after dark. I found sitting around a fire was very spiritual and was a tie to our ancient past. Of course they didn't have marshmallows, but I'm sure they'd have eaten them if they had!

The crowd had thinned considerably by the time the fire was started. A couple of the guys brought out their guitars and tried to find some tunes that they both knew so they could play together. I was sitting on a blanket next to Cat and Laura. I can close my eyes today and I still can picture everyone's faces illuminated by the fire. Alex's dad borrowed one of the guitars and started playing. He was very good, and he played a whole bunch of songs from the sixties and seventies. Alex told us that his dad was a Dead Head and had once spent a whole year following the band around from concert to concert. That was a real surprise!

The party finally began to break up around ten. There was school in the morning and, as much as we resisted, it was time to go. I lingered a little to hug and thank Marlene again for all her help. She said that she'd keep in touch, but that she hoped that she'd never see me again in a professional manner. But if I ever needed help again, she told me not to hesitate to call.

We drove back to my house and unloaded the car. Laura kissed me and left for home. She said she'd pick us up in the morning as usual. I couldn't drive my car to school, as they wouldn't issue me a sticker this late in the school year. I didn't mind, as I loved riding with Cat and Laura.

Mom, Terri, and Sam arrived a few minutes later and Cat and I helped them unload their car. We said our goodnight and we started into the house. I did come back out one last time to look at the bush. It was surrounded by lightning bugs. I guess they were welcoming it to the neighborhood.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Ten

It was difficult to get excited about school. Everyone was so beat from our long weekend. I was sore from playing so much volleyball. There was also the added excitement that we had less than two weeks of classes before finals and then graduation.

The big thing that happened in school was our weekly meeting of the Fab Four. I was pleased to see everyone there. We ate our lunches while we waited for Ms. B to arrive.

"So, what do you think the last challenge will be?" I asked.

"Well, if it's standing up to a criminal religious zealot then we finished that one!" said Denise. We all laughed.

I remembered seeing Denise, but I hadn't seen Lisa there. It was no big deal. I didn't want to embarrass her, so I didn't ask if she had been there.

Ms. B walked in and asked how we were all doing. "As you know, you have exactly two weeks until graduation. Again I want to congratulate all of you for making it this far. I want to remind you that the contest doesn't end until after the graduation ceremony. However, that shouldn't be a big deal, as everyone will be wearing caps and gowns." We all laughed at her comments.

"I have a question, Ms. B. Which name will go on our diploma?" asked Denise.

"That's up to you. I have a form for all of you to fill out. It will include the name you want on your diploma and what name you wish to be called when you walk across the stage. Your parents or guardians will have to sign it and send it in by Friday."

This wasn't a big deal for Caroline and I. I still wondered who the third was?

"Now I have one announcement. As you know, the senior party/picnic will be held next Friday at the pool at the athletic center. You'll be required to be in gender correct bathing suits. It's up to you if you want one piece or two piece, but it must be a women's bathing suit," she explained.

I thought about Laura and her appointment for me this evening to get my bikini made. I looked at Ms. B and she winked at me.

"Here is the card of a seamstress who can make you a suit that will hide what's necessary and enhance areas that need enhancing," smiled Ms. B. She handed us each a card.

I looked at Denise and Lisa as they got their cards. Neither one gave anything away.

"You will be required to attend the picnic. Of course, the usual excuses are still valid with notes from your parents or guardians. If you want to pull out of the competition, you will still get the lesser scholarship," announced Ms. B. "Erika, I will need to see you in my office after this meeting."

I walked out with Ms. B. "What's up?" I asked.

"I just wanted to give you the apologies of the two young men who vandalized your locker last week. I also have something to ask you, once we get in my office."

We entered her office and I sat down in the chair next to her desk. I thought how I'd miss coming in here. She handed me the two apologies and I read them. The first was the standard "I am so sorry and please forgive me" type that looked like a form letter. His letter was just begging for forgiveness without thinking about the reasons why his actions were wrong. The second one was more interesting. It was very different from the first one in that it was heartfelt and well written. His name was Kurt and he wrote about how stupid and insensitive he'd been. He said that he'd known who I was and what I'd gone through, and yet he still did it. Having time to think about it, he now knew how hateful his actions came across as being. He said that he deserved to be punished. He said he'd understand if I was still mad at him.

"Well, what do you think?" asked Ms. B.

"Too bad you can't force someone to enter the contest. They could use some sensitivity training. At least Kurt seems to realize why it was wrong, or maybe he's just a better writer."

"He's a good kid, just needs some focus."

"So what's the question you wanted to ask me?" I asked.

"Next week we'll be having our informational meeting for contestants for next years scholarship contest. I'd like you to be there to answer questions. I'm asking all of the Fab Four, and a few of those who didn't make it this far," she stated.

"Good! If I was the only one speaking, I'd scare them all off. So when is this meeting?" I asked.

"A week from today, right after school."

"Okay, but I have to leave by 4:30; Tuesday is my weekly meeting with Jenny," I said.

"We'll be done by then. Thank you in advance."

"So, how many have expressed an interest?" I asked.

"A little less than this year, but that was expected. So far twenty- four have signed up, but I expect it to go up a little," she said. "I've told them that each year is different and that the length of the contest will depend on the contestants themselves. We'll also be making some significant rule changes, some of which I can't disclose until Tuesday. However, starting next year we will have a female to male category."

"That's cool! Do you have any interest in it?"

"A few."

"When this is all over I'd love to sit down with you and talk about this contest. I know that there is more here than meets the eye. I have many questions that need answers."

"I expected that, and you do deserve to know the answers. How about we meet for lunch on the Wednesday after graduation?"

"Could we make that dinner?" From what everyone has told me I won't be going to bed until daybreak."

She laughed. "Sure, that sounds good. Why not dinner at my place?" she suggested.

"That sounds wonderful!" Her invitation to dinner caught me off guard, but I accepted it immediately. When the bell interrupted our meeting, I was disappointed as I still had a few more questions, but I knew that I couldn't be late for my next class. "Well, I have to get to American Lit. Thank you so much, Ms. B. I'm really looking forward to our dinner!" I was also looking forward to the answers to many questions.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Eleven

My session with Jenny was very interesting. We spent a lot of time talking about my emotional changes. She told me that I needed to be aware of the effects of the hormones. We talked about how my emotional changes might affect my dealing with the stress from my assault. She agreed that having friends to talk about was very important.

"I have to admit that the thought of being without Cat and Laura close by is a bit frightening."

"Well, that's life and you'll need to make adjustments. But there's always e-mail and the phone. Remember that you're not breaking up as friends, even if you are separated."

"As you know, Laura and I are dating, and we're both worried about being separated."

"If you're asking me if everything will work out between you two, I can't answer that. You may stick together or you may drift apart; it's a part of life."

"I'm shocked! You don't have answers to everything," I replied, with a laugh.

"Don't linger on the negative aspect of graduation and separation. You've made many good friends at Central. When you go to college you need to socialize and make new friends. That's part of the joy in going to college! You don't have to give up your old friends. There is no limit to the friends you can have. I have friends that I haven't seen in years, yet we stay close by calls, letters, and e-mail. As for you and Laura, only time will tell."

I thought about what she said and it made sense. I'd have to strive to meet new people when I went to Dewey.

I also told her about my reaction with Laura at Spencer's Sunday night.

"One of the problems of dealing with a traumatic episode is that you will occasionally have that sort of emotional upheaval. I think you handled it very well by talking it out with Laura. Whatever you do, don't try to hold it in."

After the session it was time to get fitted for my bikini. Laura drove me the shop and we walked in.

The seamstress was named Yvonne and she was very pleased to meet me. She was looking forward to helping me and the other contestants have a good fitting bathing suit.

"So, what kind do you want?" asked Yvonne.

Before I could answer Laura piped in. "Bikini!"

I looked over at her and she smiled back. "Sure why not?" I said.

"Well, let's get started," stated Yvonne. She explained that my options were limited due to the 'special design factors" she had to make in them. Still she said that she had some nice suits that would look great on me.

She took my measurements, including my chest with and without my boob pads.

We looked at a few styles and I tried some on. Initially I felt close to being totally naked. I picked out two suits. One was green and the other was dark blue. She showed me how she was going adjust the suit so it would conceal my maleness. As for the tops we went with one of each. The green one would have built-in pockets so I could slip in my boob pads, and for the blue top we went with the built-in push up pads.

I changed back into my street clothes. Yvonne said that the suits would be ready by Friday. She told me that I didn't have to pay until Friday and that she'd include my contestant discount.

We then decided to go over to Spencer's. Laura called up Cat and she asked us to pick her up at the police station, as she was finishing up her internship for the day. As sad as I was to think of us splitting up in a few months, I was excited for Cat's career. She really was getting into it. She loved to watch the cop dramas on TV and point out the mistakes to us.

Once we got Cat we drove over to the college area and hunted down a parking spot. We ended up several blocks away, but it really didn't matter in nice weather. Winter, on the other hand, would have made our stroll very difficult.

"So, when do you get your bikinis?" asked Cat.

"Friday. Then I have to work up the courage to wear one out in public!"

Laura smiled. "That will be Saturday afternoon when we go to the pool!"

"Your girlfriend sure is pushy," smiled Cat.

"I know, good thing she's such a good kisser," I answered.

"You'll do fine, Erika. Besides you'll be with us and no one will dare mess with you!" added Cat.

I smiled. "Thanks, being with friends will really help!"

"You know you can trust us, Erika, we'd never do anything to embarrass you. By the way, your appointment for your bikini waxing is tomorrow after school."

"Yes, dear!" I replied with a giggle. "So, are you joining us at the pool Saturday Cat?"

"Yes, I am. Matt will also be joining us. He finishes up school on Wednesday," explained Cat.

"Cool," replied Laura.

We reached Spencer's and walked in. I decided to shift away from cappuccinos for the summer. They added fruit smoothies for the summer crowd, so I had one of those instead. I also skipped the pie. Actually, that's not true, they were sold out and I didn't feel like anything else.

Cat and Laura stayed with cappuccinos. We took our normal seat on the couch. I told them about the latest challenge for the Four.

"Did Ms. B tip you off or something like that?" I asked Laura.

"No exactly. I overheard her talking to Marlene after the rally," she replied.

"So you were eavesdropping! Gee, you're sneaky! But how did she catch you?"

Laura smiled. "When she saw me there, she told me all about the challenge and she gave me Yvonne's card."

"That's cool." I then told them about my upcoming dinner with her after graduation.

"That's great. Just remember everything she tells you so you can tell us on the trip to New York," stated Cat.

We then talked about the trip to NYC. It would be fun, but the more I read about Rhinoplasty, the more I was concerned. The surgery wasn't so much the concern, it was the recovery period. Dr. Ayres had said that I'd have to sit upright for 24-48 hours afterwards, and that I wouldn't be able to do anything active for a few weeks to a month afterwards. Laura said that I could use that time to work on my tan.

We cut it short at Spencer's as the effects of the weekend were hitting us. I planned on going to bed early that night after I talked to Sandra.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twelve

Sam and I had had some leftover chicken for dinner. Mom was at her class over at Dewey.

"We said goodbye to the rest of the Rev's group today. The winner in the scumbag lottery was Virginia. They had over twelve warrants apiece on each of them," Sam reported.

"So who got the Rev?" I asked.

"Texas," replied Sam, breaking out in a sly smile.

"Too bad," I said sarcastically.

"Oh, I got a call today and your name change will be legal this week. You should have the paperwork in hand by Friday."

"So that means I can go and get a new driver's license?" I asked. I thought about getting my license back in August. It was the last time that I had dressed as Eric, although I still looked like a girl in my photo, because of my hairstyle.

"Sure," said Sam.

I sat there with a big smile on my face. I felt a strong sense of satisfaction in knowing that I would legally be Erika soon, although there was a little bit of sadness over giving up my identity as Eric.

I told him about the diploma/graduation form and he said that he and Mom would fill it out and send it in. I got up and retrieved it out of my purse.

"What about the adoption papers?" I asked as I cleared away the plates.

"It's progressing. It just takes time," noted Sam.

"Regardless of what the courts say I want to change my last name to Warren. I already consider you my dad."

"You don't know how good it feels to hear that coming from you." I could tell he was really was moved emotionally. I walked over and gave him a big hug.

After dinner I called up Sandra and we talked for a few minutes. I wanted to ask her how she had dealt with the emotional issues and changes. She said that she didn't feel too much change, as she'd always been an emotional person. She said the biggest change was that she no longer had as big of a temper as when she was a guy. Sandra thought that since it was okay to show all her emotions, she didn't need her temper as an emotional relief valve.

I also talked to her about going to the pool and wearing my first bikini. She said that going with friends would help a lot. Her first time at a pool was by herself and she'd really felt nervous. She also said not to worry too much, as I'd look great in a bikini. She joked that athletic girls like me could get away with wearing something like that. She also reminded me that just because someone looked at me, that didn't mean they knew my true gender. She told me that I was an attractive young woman and I'd get looked at a lot by guys.

I felt that I could talk about anything with her. She was like an older sister. I mentioned this to her and she said that she was honored that I felt that way about her.

As I drifted off I thought about the fact that in exactly two weeks I'd be graduating from high school. As usual I had mixed emotions about it. Part of me couldn't wait, and the rest of me wanted high school to go on forever, but that was silly, as all good things must come to an end.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirteen

Wednesday afternoon Laura, Cat, and I drove over to the salon. I was getting my legs waxed and also a bikini wax. I had been getting my legs waxed all year, so I was at least used the process. I was a little nervous about the bikini wax. The woman who did the waxing was pretty cool and she told me that it wouldn't be that bad. Her name was Linda.

Actually there isn't a lot of pain with getting your legs waxed. The first time is pretty bad, but it gets better as the new hairs aren't as thick and come out with less pain. It does sound worse than it feels. The sound of the cloth strip being ripped off is far worse than it actually feels.

I was laying down on the table and being put in various positions by Linda. I just moved as she told me. She told me that she'd be using a different type of wax for the bikini waxing. It was thicker and she didn't use cloth strips with it, instead she just pulled it off when it hardened.

I really didn't think I had that much hair down there, but she showed me how necessary this was. I was amazed by the difference. It was a bit strange, at first looking down at my pubic hair being so orderly and neat!

Of course Linda knew my true gender. It really didn't matter to her. She thought it was great that I was being true to myself. She said that when she'd back in LA she'd many transgendered customers along with many regular guys.

"Really?" I asked. I was on my back with my left leg extended straight up towards the ceiling.

"Oh, yes. Guys would come in to get waxed so they'd look better on the beach. I also did a lot of surfers. Some even got their whole bodies waxed so they wouldn't get irritation from their wetsuits," she explained.

"Any guys around here get waxed?" I asked. I was allowed to lower my leg.

"Yes, a few. Some are really into bodybuilding and some just like the feel, or maybe their girlfriends like it better." She started to laugh.

We talked a little about California as she finished me up. She put a soothing gel on my legs and around my bikini area. I thanked her and got dressed. I waited out front while Laura and Cat got waxed.

The receptionist and I talked while I waited. She told me that they'd been threatened by the Rev's people with 'problems' unless they gave a 'contribution'. Their owner had told them to 'go to hell' and threatened to call the police unless they left. She went on to say how she was glad that the police arrested them all on Saturday.

When Cat and Laura were finished we headed over to the pizza place to catch up with the gang. Paul and Caroline were there, along with Alex, Kristen, Mike, and Tracey. Caroline was showing off her new driver's license with her new name.

"I can't wait until I get mine. The paperwork is due to be approved later this week," I exclaimed. "I want to have my new ID when I check in the hospital in a few weeks."

"Why are you going in the hospital?" asked Mike.

"I'm getting my nose fixed." I pointed to my bent nose.

"That's nothing to sneeze at!" quipped Paul. This was met by groans.

"That was low, even for you," groaned Caroline.

"Are really going back to NYC? I'd love to go there," sighed Kristen.

"I'll take you there when I win the Heisman Trophy in a few years," bragged Alex.

"Like that will ever happen!" joked Mike. "Besides, I'll win it before you."

They started a playful argument about who was most valuable to a football team, the quarterback or the defense.

Kristen ignored them and asked us about the trip. I really wished that she could have joined us.

"I want to hear about everything when you get back," Kristen requested. "I'm going to live there someday."

I was impressed by the determination in her voice. I really believed her. She still lives there, by the way. I try to see her once a year so we can catch a show and dinner together.

Mike and Alex would be gone by the time I came back from my nose job. They were expected to get to college and start working out. Granted, they weren't allowed to officially work out until August, but they wanted to get into the team's training facility. I would miss them both.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Fourteen

The biggest thing that happened on Thursday was that my name was officially changed. Mom told me that Sam was picking it up on his way home from work. Needless to say, I was a constant clock-watcher at work that night. Naturally I told all my coworkers why I was so wired that night.

I also gave Mrs. Lincoln a thank you letter for being at the rally. She said that it was unnecessary to thank her, but I know she appreciated it. She also told me that she'd be taking me off the schedule starting a week from Sunday.

"You will have graduation on your mind and you also will need some time to recover from your operation. Besides, I doubt if you will feel like working for a while as you recover. I don't want you back in here until you are 100 percent ready" she said. "One more thing, dear, you are to call me immediately if you have any problems while you are in the city."

"Yes, Mrs. Lincoln. I really appreciate your concern."

I drove home in my new car; well, it was new to me! It was cool having my own wheels.

Sam and Mom were in the kitchen having dinner when I arrived. It was pasta with marinara sauce and I eagerly filled a plate and joined them.

"Did you get it?" I asked Sam.

"Was I supposed to get something today?" he asked. He then went back to eating.

Mom just shrugged her shoulders and took a sip of her wine. I caught her little glance over at Sam and his wink back!

"Very funny! Come on! Please let me see it!" I begged.

"Oh yes, there's that document in my brief case. Do you really want to see it?" asked Sam. "Why don't we wait until after dinner?"

"Pleaseeeeeee!" I whined.

Sam picked up his case and opened it up. He went through his papers very slowly until he pulled one out.

"I guess you mean this one." He handed it to me.

I was trembling slightly as I read it. There was a lot of legal wording, but then I saw it - my new name. I then did a double take and looked up at Sam and Mom and smiled.

"We knew that you wanted it that way," explained Mom. She had a big smile on her face.

I looked back at the paper and saw that my name was legally 'Erika Jean Warren".

"Thank you!" I exclaimed as I got up and hugged and kissed them. "You don't mind about the last name?"

"No! Of course not, besides it will soon be my last name too," stated Mom.

"I'm honored to take your name, Dad." There was more hugging and kissing. Then I started to cry and Mom started to cry. Sam didn't cry, but he was definitely moved by the moment.

Sam said I could go to the DMV on Saturday to get my new license.

After dinner we were sitting in the kitchen. Of course I was drinking tea and Mom and Sam were having coffee.

"How do you feel, now that it has had a chance to sink in a bit?" asked Mom.

"I feel good, although there is a bit of sadness over giving up my old name," I replied. "But no regrets."

"That's an honest response," remarked Sam.

I called up Laura and told her about my name change and then I called Cat. They were both happy for me. I wanted to call up everyone I knew, but I stopped there.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifteen

Mom said she'd stop by the school and put in an official request to have them change my records. One of the nice things about the last name change was that it didn't change me much alphabetically. I went from Walters to Warren.

I ran into Caroline and told her about the change. She gave me big hug. I also asked her if she'd picked out her bathing suit yet. She said yes, and that she'd bought a one piece. I told her that I was getting a bikini.

"You're pretty brave for wearing a bikini. There's no way I could do that," she remarked.

I also ran into Ms. B and I told her about my legal name change.

"What did you say your middle name was now?" asked Ms. B.

"Jean. Mom named me after her best friend who was killed in a car crash," I explained. "Why?"

She smiled. "Actually, that's my first name. I started using Nancy, my middle name, when I began working here, because there were three other Jeans on staff at the time. Some of my friends from college still call me Jean sometimes."

"I knew it was a good name." We hugged briefly and I headed off to class.

After school Laura and I went over to Yvonne's to get the bikinis. We took my car this time.

She did a great job and my "maleness" was hidden quite well. The bikini top with the built in pads fit better that the one with the pockets. She had an extra padded one in that color, and so I was all set. I thanked her for the great job and I paid for both of them. I still didn't know if I had the courage to wear one in public.

"I can't wait to show you off tomorrow," bragged Laura.

I was secretly hoping for rain!

We planned on meeting Cat and Matt later on for dinner. In the meantime we went to Spencer's to kill some time and talk. I got lucky and found a close parking spot.

Laura followed my lead and also got a fruit smoothie. We plopped down on the couch and talked about school. Technically we only had two days of classes left, as Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were finals, and those were half days. I'd gotten really lucky with my exam schedule. I only had written finals in three classes, Child Development, Law & Enforcement, and American Lit. My photography class only required a portfolio of our work, which I'd already turned in, and PE didn't have a final. It worked out that I had one final each day. I was so glad that I had front-loaded my schedule back in San Diego!

Next Friday we'd have our class party/picnic right after finals. Monday would be graduation practice with senior night that evening. It was pretty exciting and more than a bit scary.

"You know that in two weeks we'll be in NYC!" exclaimed Laura.

"I know!"

"You worried about the surgery?" asked Laura.

"Nervous is a better description. However, I need to get used to the idea of surgery."

"I was looking at that SRS website you told me about. Those doctors do a great job. Some of them really look like they were born girls. Apparently you'll even be able to have orgasms afterwards. That's really something to look forward to!"

"It'll be a red-letter day!"

"So when will you be doing it? I know you were looking at a date sometime next spring."

"That's right. We've contacted a few doctors and they are reviewing my history. I'll let you know as soon as I know. I'll need a while to recover, and I really don't want to do that during the summer."

"I'll be there for you," she pledged.

"I know you'll try," I replied.

"No, I promise I'll be there," reiterated Laura.

I knew she was serious, and all I could do at that point was kiss her!

We were suddenly interrupted by Laura's cell phone. It was Cat.

"You two are shameless! Imagine making out on a couch in a public coffeehouse!" taunted Cat.

Laura looked around and saw Cat and Matt standing outside Spencer's. They were waving to us and smiling. We walked outside and joined them.

We walked up the street to a restaurant that we had wanted to try. Matt said that all colleges seemed to have a street like this one. I asked how his classes had gone, and he said pretty well.

"I'm going to start a summer internship with the FBI in a week. I'll be working in their Philly office. It should be really interesting," he explained.

"Sounds exciting," I replied.

"The cool thing is that almost everyone accepted into the internship program gets into the FBI Academy upon graduation," added Cat.

The conversation bounced all around during dinner. Matt was very interested in the arrest of the Rev and hoped that he'd get a chance to talk to Sam about it.

"I'm sure that could be arranged," I remarked. "Sam loves to tell that story, and I love hearing it."

Cat said that her mom was planning on inviting us over for dinner Sunday, along with Laura's parents. We also agreed to meet the next day at my house around noon and then drive over to the pool. Cat said she couldn't wait to see me in my bikini. I felt my face turning red. Laura smiled and said she loves it when I blush.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Sixteen

After dinner Laura and I left them alone and we walked back to my car. We debated about stopping in for cappuccinos, but the urge to make out was stronger than the need for caffeine. We went back to her house and went up to her room.

We even skipped the photo at first. Laura said something about getting it later and she pulled me onto the bed. We began to snuggle and kiss. I felt her fingers rubbing against my nipples. The sensations went deep into my body and I felt quivers of pleasure rush through me. She helped me out of my shirt and then my bra. My nipples were very hard and she smiled and stroked them. She also took off her top and I returned the favor. I really loved these moments. They were so sharing and mutual.

We fooled around for almost an hour before Laura figured that we'd better take the picture and then get dressed before her parents got home. There was no doubt about my breasts growing. Laura said that if they kept growing like this I wouldn't need implants. That was a relief, I really didn't want to have pads implanted in my chest.

We then talked about going to the pool tomorrow.

"Look, if you don't want to go to the pool, that's cool. I don't want you to feel like I'm pressuring you or anything," Laura stated.

"You're not pressuring me. I know that you care about me. I'm just a little nervous, that's all."

"Umm, are you afraid that your ...errr... thing might get hard?" I could tell that she was trying to say it as delicately as possible.

"The thought has gone through my mind. I can still get hard. I'll have to be on hormones a lot longer than just over two months to stop that from happening."

"So, it is true that sometimes you can't control it?" she asked.

"Yes. I think every boy's biggest fear is to get a hard-on in the boy's locker room. It instantly labels you as gay," I confessed.

"Did that ever happened to you?" she asked.

I smiled. "No, I was slow to mature anyway."

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Well, it was a bit embarrassing being one of the last kids to get pubic hair. Being skinny and short didn't help either. I used to think it was because I was a bit younger than a lot of my classmates, but looking back, I wonder if there was something else going on."

"You mean something about being transgendered?" she asked.

"Yes, maybe. It's sort of funny. I used to think that I was just an average teenage boy. But looking back I can see things that stand out so clearly now," I explained.

"Well, hindsight is a perfect science," remarked Laura.

We went downstairs and kissed goodbye. I was just getting into my car when her parents arrived. They actually seemed happy to see me and we talked for a few minutes. I still wasn't sure if they totally accepted me. Mr. Adams liked my car. I waved goodbye to Laura and drove home.

I pulled in the driveway and walked to the house. I stopped and looked at the bush. It was nice to see it there.

I joined Mom and Sam in the kitchen. Terri had already called and given them the invitation for dinner. I warned Sam that Matt wanted to hear all about the Rev investigation. He said that he'd be happy to talk to Matt.

I showed Mom my bikinis and all she could do was smile.

"I never thought I'd see you wearing anything like these," she smiled.

"I'm still not sure about wearing them, but it's required for the competition," I stated.

"Be sure you put on lots of sunscreen tomorrow!" added Mom.

Mom always told me to put on lots of sunscreen! I was happy to see some things never change! "By the way, do you want to ride over with me to the DMV?"

"I'd love to, and it'll give me a chance to ride in your new car," replied Mom.

"What time?" she asked.

"I'd go as early as possible. They get very crowded on Saturdays," added Sam.

We agreed to leave the house by eight so we could be there when they opened at nine. Mom said she'd bring the paperwork showing my name change.

I kissed them both goodnight and went to bed. I drifted off into a pleasant restful night's sleep - no nightmares at all.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Seventeen

Saturday morning I was up early. I was completely ready to go and get my new license; the only problem was that it was only 6:30 AM! I killed the time by reading the paper and watching the birds. We had added a new feeder. Sam had suggested that we put up a finch feeder. It had smaller holes and it was filled with thistle seed. It sure did the job, as we were getting flocks of goldfinches and some purple finches too. It seemed ironic that in nature the males were so colorful and the females so drab - the complete opposite of humans. I wondered if animals ever had gender issues. The finches seemed to enjoy the seed. I was eating a sesame seed bagel with cream cheese and I was enjoying it too.

Mom came down a little after seven. After she got a cup of coffee and toasted her bagel she joined me at the table. She sat there and stared at me and smiled.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I was just thinking about what a lovely young woman you've become. I'm so proud of how you've handled all the changes and challenges in your life this past year!"

"I've had a lot of good help." I took a sip of my tea and then looked at Mom. "Did you ever suspect that I was 'different'?"

Mom sat there for a moment. "Yes. I didn't know that you were transgendered, but I wondered if you might be gay. But as long as you were happy, it didn't matter to me."

"What sorts of things tipped you off?" I asked.

"I can't think of anything specific offhand, but there was just a strong feeling that you had some internal conflicts. At first I thought it was caused by the lack of a father. But when I saw your struggles with dating, I suspected that it might be something more personal."

"Was it that obvious?" I asked, sort of horrified.

"You looked so uncomfortable. I saw that you liked hanging around with girls, but that you were always very nervous when you dated. Something seemed off."

"Why didn't you ever say anything to me?" I asked.

She smiled. "I wanted to, but I was waiting for you to come to me. I did try to make it clear that I would always be there for you."

"That's true. I've always known that I could talk to you, even when I was too stubborn to do it. So this past year when did you know that this was deeper than just a contest for me?" I asked.

Mom took a long sip of her coffee. "That first day Cat brought you home and I saw you dressed. I saw how happy you looked, and it hit me that I now had a daughter."

"Really? Was it that obvious?" I asked.

"It was to me. But then again I'm your mother. I couldn't say anything until you came to me."

What else could I do but lean over and give her a big long hug?

We got in my car and headed over to the DMV. I was a little nervous, but Mom made me feel at ease.

The line wasn't too long at the DMV and we were soon filling out paperwork. The clerk we talked to was really cool and accepted the paperwork without question. Before I knew it my photo had been taken and I was walking out with a new license that identified me as Erika Jean Warren. Of course there'd still be a lot of paperwork to be filled out to completely change all my identification, but this was a great start.

Mom asked if she could drive us home and I reluctantly agreed. It was a good idea, as I just wanted to look at my new license. I kept looking at the little F next to sex. It was another one of those real moments. Mom also seemed to enjoy driving my car.

When we got home we saw Sam cutting the grass. He was getting a chance to try the riding mower that he'd bought the previous week. I couldn't be sure, but he seemed to be really enjoying himself.

Mom noticed it too. "When Jeff Gordon comes in for a pit stop, see if he wants a cold drink," she quipped.

"Maybe we should buy him some racing gloves and a helmet!" I suggested.

"Oh, no. He'd actually wear them!" We both started laughing together.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Eighteen

I went upstairs and checked the clock. I had an hour to get ready before we went to the pool. I stripped down and put on my green bikini. I looked at myself in the mirror. I didn't look too bad. My maleness was completely hidden, and my breasts looked pretty good. I then examined the rest of my body. I was glad I'd followed Laura's advice and got the bikini waxing. I was slim and my legs looked really good from all my running. My waist was thin and flat and, although I wasn't sure, it did look like I was getting a little bigger around the hips. I decided that I'd pass without any problems. If anyone said anything, I could always flash my new driver's license in their face! See, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania says I'm a girl!

I slipped a pair of shorts and an oversized t-shirt over my suit and put on my sport sandals. I packed up my towel and sunscreen in my beach bag. I grabbed my sunglasses and went downstairs.

"So, you aren't going to let me see you in your suit?" asked Mom.

I put down my bag and took off my shirt and shorts. Mom nodded in approval. Our mother-daughter moment was quickly ended by a loud wolf whistle from Sam.

My face turned beet red as I turned around and saw him standing there looking at me.

"Hey, remember I'm going to be your daughter!" I admonished with a laugh, as I composed myself.

"You never whistled like that at me!" sniffed Mom, pretending to be upset.

"I've never seen you in a bathing suit," remarked Sam with a big smile on his face.

"Well, that can be easily corrected!" She walked over and kissed Sam and then went upstairs.

Mom came down in a few minutes in her bikini and she looked great in it. Sam gave her a long wolf whistle, and she said he was forgiven. She then went out to the deck to lie in the sun.

Sam smiled and watched her walk away.

Cat, Matt, and Laura arrived at the same time and I invited them in. I was glad that they hadn't arrived ten minutes earlier. I hadn't put my shorts and shirt back on, and Cat and Laura smiled at me.

"Nice suit!" Cat complimented.

I struck a model's pose. It was either that or rush to get dressed.

"See, I told you she'd get used to wearing it," Laura replied in a smug manner.

"We're not at the pool yet," I added.

We used Laura's car and headed over to the pool. The pool was big and shaped like a huge L. At one end of the short part of the L was the diving area, twelve feet deep. They also had a kid's pool, known as the pee pool. The ground around the pool was landscaped into slopes. We picked an area a bit further away from the crowds for my sake. We spread out our towels and then we took off our outer clothes. I felt like everyone in the whole pool area was staring at me. We put on tanning lotion. Matt spread some on my back for me. I had to admit that it was cool the way he just accepted me as one of Cat's girlfriends.

I laid down on my back and decided to work on my tan. That way I could also close my eyes. I went for the 'what you don't see won't hurt you' strategy. Cat, Matt and Laura all went for a swim. I was very content to just lie there.

After thirty minutes I turned over and lay on my stomach. I positioned myself so I could watch my friends in the pool. It felt very good just lying there in the sun. I was careful to avoid sunburn. Having grown up in San Diego I knew how much sun I could take at one time before burning. I was also aware that this was my first time out in the sun and the last thing I wanted was to get fried!

I finally gave in and joined them in the pool. I was relieved that my suit didn't fall apart or fall off! It was a really nice day and the water felt wonderful.

We took a break and moved back to the towels. Having something damp and cool on my chest was the first time I'd been at all uncomfortable about wearing a bra. I lay on my back to warm up in the sun. Laura and Cat went to go get some drinks.

"So, did you go swimming much back in California?" asked Matt. "You're from LA aren't you?"

I smiled. "A bit further south. I'm from San Diego. Yes, I did, but not in a pool. We used to go to the beach a lot. I never learned to surf, but I did use a body board."

"That's cool. My family always rents a house at the Jersey shore every summer," remarked Matt.

"Shore?" I asked.

"Yes, it's a Philly/Jersey thing. Like 'Yo' and cheese steaks," added Matt, with a laugh.

"I want to go to Philly someday. I want to meet all my future in-laws and I'd also love to see all the historical sites."

Matt told me all about the city and the area. I could see why Cat liked him so much. Cat and Laura returned with the drinks. I didn't realize how thirsty I was.

We spent a few hours there, and by the time we left I was very comfortable being out in my bikini. I also must admit that I was a little turned on by some of the looks I got from some of the guys. As Sandra had told me, I might as well enjoy the compliments. Hey, I was very happy with Laura, but a girl never turns away compliments.

Matt was taking Cat out to dinner that night. Laura suggested that we catch a movie together. Laura dropped us off and told me she'd come by around six. I kissed her goodbye and said goodbye to Cat and Matt.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Nineteen

I went upstairs to shower and change. I was pleasantly surprised to see my new tan lines. It was quite obvious that I'd been wearing a bikini! I thought that the contrast between tan and no tan even made my breasts stand out more! I took a nice long shower and rinsed away the smell of chlorine. I also rinsed out my bathing suit and hung it up to dry.

I slipped on a cotton skirt, a sleeveless t-shirt, and a pair of sandals. I was so glad that it was warm again outside. I did grab my denim jacket for when it got cooler.

Mom and Sam had gone out. I read Mom's note. They were moving the last things out of Sam's old apartment. There was still some furniture, but Sam had sold that to the landlord. They were also expecting to hear soon about their offer on the house. It was cool that they were buying it. I loved where we lived. The bush had exorcised the last evil spirits and now it really felt like a home.

Sam said he'd love to fence in the backyard and get a dog. He wanted a lab or a setter. I thought that was a great idea, although I still wanted to get a cat. Sam was sure cats and dogs could live together. Growing up they'd had several cats and a black lab and they'd all got along pretty well.

Laura picked me up before they got back. I wrote them a quick note and left. We grabbed a quick meal and ended up seeing the latest summer blockbuster. It was okay. I would have preferred a plot to go with the special effects.

We went over to Spencer's and got some cappuccinos. It was late and I didn't want something really sweet. I skipped the pie too, although Laura did give me some of her cheesecake.

"I have a really cool tan line now," I confessed.

"Hmmm, I'd love to see it," she replied and we kissed. We left and drove over to her house. Her parents were over at the neighbors' so we were alone.

I started to get undressed, but Laura stopped me. Instead, she undressed me. She slowly helped me out of my clothes. She then slipped off my bra with the boob pads. Then she stepped back and admired my body.

"That's so cool looking. I can't wait until your tan darkens. Of course, you'll need to lower your straps in the future so you'll get an even tan on your shoulders. And when you lie on your stomach you can undo the back," she explained.

"Well, let me see your tan line now," I asked softly.

I sat on the edge of the bed and Laura slowly undressed. She took off her dress and then her bra. I hoped that my breasts would get to be that round and full someday!

We kissed and fondled each other. I loved the intimacy of our time together. It was loving and sharing and not just a quick effort to get off.

We were lying on the bed holding each other, "May I ask you something personal?" asked Laura.

I laughed. "How much more personal can you get?"

She smiled. "Well, I can't help but notice that you don't get hard when we cuddle. I was wondering if it was because of the hormones or the gaff or something else?"

"Well, it does initially get hard, then it softens. Maybe my mind is becoming female in a sexual manner. It's still sensitive." I didn't mind discussing this with Laura, as I knew she was truly interested in my transition.

"Do you still... umm... pleasure yourself?" she asked.

I smiled. "Yes, I do, but I find that I pay much more attention to my nipples now."

"That's incredible. It's amazing how readily the body and mind adapt," remarked Laura and she kissed me again.

We got dressed and she drove me home. She said that she'd see me again tomorrow, as Terri had invited her family over for dinner tomorrow. We kissed again and I went in. It had been a wonderful day!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty

I'm jumping right to Sunday evening and our dinner at Terri and Cat's. As I said earlier, the guests were Mr. & Mrs. Adams, Laura, Sam, Mom, and I. Of course, Matt was there too.

Terri had become very fond of Matt. She had initially been worried about Cat getting too involved with him. But she trusted Cat to do the right thing. In many ways Cat was mature beyond her years. I've always trusted her advice.

Matt was very interested in talking to Sam. They sat out on the deck discussing the Rev and some of Sam's other investigations and cases. Cat slipped out to join in the conversation.

Dinner was very nice. Laura's parents were now very friendly with Sam and Mom. I still think they were still a little wary about me and I also think they were still sort of hoping that Laura would suddenly turn heterosexual.

Mrs. Adams was very pleased that Terri and Mom would be on the trip to NYC with us. She was also glad that we had a professional driver.

"So, how much does something like that cost?" asked Mrs. Adams.

"I'm not really sure; Erika's employer, Mrs. Lincoln, is picking up the tab," explained Mom.

"I've talked to her a few times at civic events," said Mrs. Adams. "What's she really like?"

"To be honest, I'm not really sure I can answer that. I do know she is very generous, extremely protective, and supportive of her friends and employees. Actually, employee is too general a term. When you work for her you become part of her family; she refers to all of us as her girls. I feel honored to be one of her girls," I replied.

Mr. Adams seemed very impressed. "She does seem to inspire great loyalty in her staff. I've never met anyone who has worked for her that has ever said a negative thing about her."

"How did you get hired by her?" asked Mrs. Adams.

"She called me and asked me to work for her," I replied. "I never

applied for anything or even expressed an interest in working for her."

"Mrs. Lincoln first met Erika during homecoming," added Laura.

"Well, you showed her something," stated Mr. Adams. "Don't downplay it. You should be very proud that she wanted you."

"She personally recruits all her employees," I added.

"Yes, that's what I've heard. It definitely creates a loyal staff. I hope you've been paying attention to the way she runs her business, Erika," noted Mr. Adams. He smiled at me. "You can learn a lot from someone like her."

"I have already! It's been a great experience."

I could tell that I'd actually impressed Mr. Adams! Laura winked at me; apparently she knew that I'd made some points with her Dad.

After dinner the adults stayed in the dining room and we moved out to the deck.

"Well, Dad likes you now," informed Laura.

"I'm not sure about your mom," I replied.

"She'll come around. She likes you, but I don't think she fully understands about your being transsexual."

Matt looked at me. "Don't be offended or anything, but I find it hard to believe you ever were a male. I doubt I'd have ever suspected anything if I hadn't been told. And remember, I'm training to be a cop!" He started to laugh.

"I'm not offended, rather I take that as a compliment," I replied.

I knew that Matt had questions for me but was afraid of offending me or Cat.

"Look, I don't mind talking about this; in fact, I enjoy educating people," I remarked.

"That sounds like the teacher in you. I remember you telling me that during the prom," he replied.

"So, what do you want to know?" I asked. I sat down next to Laura.

He thought for a moment. "Do you have any regrets about doing this?" he asked.

"No, not that I can think of. I mean, it would have been great to start this years ago, but I wasn't ready then. In fact, I was in heavy denial. It wasn't until I started the competition that my barriers dropped and I began to see the real me."

"So, do you think that if you hadn't entered the contest then you might not have transitioned?" he asked.

He was going to be a great investigator; he really knew the right questions to ask. "I'm sure it would have come out eventually, but I'm sure it would have been more painful and difficult," I answered.

"Thanks, I'll stop the interrogation now," he stated with a laugh.

"You can do me a favor," I asked.

"What would that be?" asked Matt.

"Treat any transgendered person you meet in your career with the respect that you would any other person. The police department here has received training so that they handle transgendered crime victims and criminals properly. I have no complaints about the way they've treated me. But the same cannot be said for many other police departments. I've read many horror stories about the way some of them deal with transgendered people," I explained. "Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now!"

"Hey, I'm not offended. You have a legit complaint. I promise that I won't mistreat any transgendered people, especially victims," promised Matt. There was a determination in his voice that told me he was telling the truth.

I smiled, he smiled back.

The conversation shifted to more mundane topics. We talked for another hour and then it was time to leave. We all said goodnight. Tomorrow would begin the last week of classes! I couldn't believe that school was almost over.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty-One

Cat, Laura, and I arrived at school and we really couldn't believe that this was the last week of classes. The school year seemed to have flown by. When we walked into school there was a large table set up to hand out yearbooks. They had lines set up by last name. I went down to the T through Z line and picked up my book. I flipped the pages until I saw my photo. As the entries had been finalized after my decision to go fulltime they had my name as Erika. It was another one of those real moments. I stared at my name and photo and just let it soak in. I read through my short bio and found that everything was accurate.

I also paged through the book and saw that they had used several photos that I had submitted. I wasn't on the staff, but I was a 'contributing photographer'. It was cool seeing shots that I'd taken in print.

The teachers absolutely hated the fact that the books had been given out before school. Mr. Grant thought it was 'completely idiotic' that they'd handed them out in the morning. The books were, of course, a real distraction, as people wanted to look through them and pass them around to be signed. We passed them around in homeroom and it was a real task to keep track of whose book you were signing.

The rest of the day was a battle between students and faculty over the books. Mr. Kline was pretty cool and he allowed us to have the last fifteen minutes of class to get signatures. I signed a lot of books, even those of people I barely knew. Cat had told me earlier that contestants were treated like celebrities and everyone wanted to get their book signed by them, so I figured I'd have writer's cramp by the end of the week!

I also wanted to get my teachers to sign my book. Yes, this was a bit geeky, but I didn't care. I especially wanted Mrs. Lee, Coach, Mr. Kline, Mrs. Roberts and of course Ms. B. I doubt I'd have made it through the year without their help.

Lunch was just a big book signing party. I doubt anyone was really eating. I held off getting my closest friends, such as Laura, Cat, and Kristen, as we were going to sign each other's books Wednesday evening over at Guido's. Kristen and Laura had set up a small signing party.

I really didn't get a chance to look at the book until sixth period. Mr. Kline didn't have any work for me, so I was able to enjoy mine in a leisurely manner. I was pleased to see that they had a good picture of The Pit taken during one of the games. I could make out myself in the middle of it all, or least I thought I could! I went to the cross- country page and was pleasantly surprised to see that I was in one of the action shots. It was the one race that I'd won, and they had a shot of me just before I crossed the finish line. I didn't even know that anyone had taken that one. They also had a great picture of Rachael running at the State Finals. I could just about make out my initials on her shoes.

The football section was really good. They had some great photos of Alex and Mike. They even had a shot of Mike on the sideline waving my torn t-shirt. I wanted him to sign that page!

I then saw the homecoming photos. The event seemed like it had happened years ago. I smiled while musing about how much fun that evening had been. I was pleased to see there was no mention that I was a scholarship contestant. I wasn't ashamed of being the first contestant to be elected to the homecoming court; I just didn't want it to be the main focal point.

Next I turned to the section for the scholarship competition and saw that they had all our initial photos with our names. There were some photos of various events. I was surprised that they had photos from the fashion show, including one of me tossing the bouquet. They must have just got them in before printing. I then saw something that caught me off guard. I must have skipped it when I first looked at the initial photos of the contestants. They had a photo of Jason as Jan. I stared at it in silence. I could feel my anger rising, as I felt he had forfeited any right to be in the yearbook.

I debated what I should do about it. I finally solved the problem for myself and I took out a black sharpie and very carefully blacked out his photo and name. I debated just drawing prison bars, but decided that he needed to be totally blacked out. I was very precise and avoided damaging other photos or the book itself; I even used a ruler to ensure the edges were straight. I was very pleased with the job I had done. I looked in the index in the back of the book and was relieved to see that his name wasn't listed anywhere else. I then blacked his name out of the index.

The blackening out of Jason's photo was a nice exercise and it calmed me down. I figured that it was just a mistake that he'd been left in. I paged through the candid shots and smiled when I saw one of me when I was 'with child' - someone had gotten a shot of me standing outside during the evacuation of school. I noticed that Alex's brother, Nick, was standing next to me in the photo. I showed him the picture and asked him to sign the page. He was shocked and pleased that a senior would ask him to sign their yearbook. I liked him a lot. While he wasn't as good an athlete as his brother, he was just as charming and friendly. He also was happy to just be himself and not try to live up to his brother's legacy.

I was also able to get Mr. Kline to sign my book. He wrote a really nice paragraph to me. He hoped that I'd become a teacher and maybe someday we could be colleagues.

I swung by Ms. B's office and she reminded me about the scholarship meeting after school. I then told her about Jason/Jan's picture in the yearbook. She instantly had a look of horror on her face. She looked in the yearbook on her desk and shook her head.

"I'm so sorry. I had no idea that they'd kept his picture in it," Ms. B apologized.

"Nothing can be done about it now. I used a marker and deleted him." I showed her my book.

"Still I'd better go let Mrs. Lee know about this, just in case we get any phone calls from irate parents."

I walked over to Mrs. Lee's office with her. "Who else will really get upset about this? I'm sure that my parents won't be."

Ms. B smiled at me. "I'm sure they won't. But there are other parents who will get worked up about it. By the way, I noticed you said 'my parents'. That has a nice ring to it."

I had to think about it for a moment. She was right on both counts. We entered Mrs. Lee's office and Ms. B showed the picture to Mrs. Lee, who just sat there shaking her head.

"Every year something slips through, however this is inexcusable. I'm very sorry, Erika," apologized Mrs. Lee.

"Thank you. I'm not that upset anymore. I sort of took care of the problem in my book." I showed her the blacked out picture.

"I suppose that's one way to solve the problem," smiled Mrs. Lee.

I asked her if she'd sign my book and she gladly accepted. I looked at the clock and saw that I needed to get going.

"Can you sign my book tomorrow, Ms. B?" I asked.

"Absolutely. Stop by anytime," she offered.

I excused myself and left. Cat and Laura were waiting for me out by the car. I told them what had happened and they immediately opened up their yearbooks. Without a word they began to cover up his photo.

"I think that solves that problem!" announced Cat.

"What problem?" asked Laura, tongue firmly in cheek.

"Exactly." Cat smiled.

I just stood there and smiled.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty-Two

Work was fun that evening. Cindy kept me busy, which was how I liked it. Sales for weddings were still strong, and we were beginning to get customers wanting dresses for the mid-summer ball at the country club. I didn't do a lot of actual sales work. It was more to do with my age than anything else. Many of the women who shopped in the store didn't want a 17-year-old girl helping them select a dress for a wedding party. I didn't mind that much, even though I knew more about fashion than many of them! Mrs. Lincoln ensured that we all kept up with the latest fashion trends and what accessories went best with each outfit.

That was another of the little ironies about my transition. A year ago my fashion sense had consisted of ensuring my t-shirt matched my shorts. Now I even knew how to dress properly for the theater. I was also very good at selecting the correct accessories for my own outfits. Mrs. Lincoln was very demanding about our appearance both at work and away from work. She'd given me 'constructive criticism' several times about the way I'd been dressed when I arrived at work. While she might have sounded overly formal and harsh to an outsider, we all knew that she did it because she cared about us. She never corrected us in public either, it was always done privately. Looking back, I owe so much to Mrs. Lincoln. I learned so much from her, from fashion to how to deal with people politely and diplomatically. I was very lucky that I was one of her girls.

After work I drove my car home. I love saying that, MY CAR! I arrived home and glanced over at the bush. It was doing well and seemed to be adapting to its new home. Sam was working on some briefs for work and the kitchen table was covered in paperwork. As usual when he got into a case he lost all track of time.

"Hi, Dad. I take it you haven't eaten yet," I asked.

"Hi, Erika. No, I haven't eaten," he replied. He barely lifted his head from his paperwork.

I looked in the fridge. I knew that Sam really wouldn't care what was for dinner, as his mind was deep in the case. I made some pasta and a salad. Mom came in just as I was finishing.

"Hello, everyone," greeted Mom. "Hmm... that smells good."

"Hi, Mom." She came over and hugged me.

Sam never lifted his head, but he did say hi. Mom looked at me and smiled and shrugged her shoulders. We both admired the dedication that he put into preparing his cases. He did however clear away most of his papers so we could eat. We also knew NOT to touch his papers!

"Sorry. This case is very important, plus I really want to get this guy."

I could understand Sam's desire to get a conviction in this particular case. The defendant had been charged with stalking and beating up his ex-girlfriend. The guy had been served a restraining order to stay away from her. Within hours after the court order he'd kicked down her door and beaten her up badly. Sam figured the guy had gone from the courtroom to a bar, and then to her apartment. They'd caught him a block away after he'd crashed his car into a utility pole. He was found passed out in the front seat.

Sam took all cases seriously, but he really disliked guys like that defendant. Sam really took his duty as a protector of society seriously. I also think the reason why Sam wanted this guy so badly was because he'd thumbed his nose at the legal system by so quickly and deliberately violating the restraining order.

"We have a strong case, but I want to make sure he gets the maximum sentence," added Sam.

"How's the woman doing?" asked Mom.

"Good, considering the circumstances. She's also seeing Jenny. She can't get better help than that," he replied.

"I agree!" I concurred. I was pleased that Sam thought so highly of Jenny.

"Erika, you don't mind us talking about this?" asked Sam; there was a slight tone of concern in his voice.

"No, not at all, I'm glad you are there to put these jerks away." I put strong emphasis on the word 'jerks'.

"Jerks?" Sam smiled. "You pick that up from Tom Bell?"

"Yes, he said 'jerk' was the proper legal term," I replied with a smile. I knew Sam had his eye on Tom. He saw a lot of potential in him.

Sam nodded and smiled, and then went back to work so we left him alone. Mom told me about the phone call from Mrs. Lee, apologizing for the picture of Jason/Jan in the yearbook. I told her of my solution. She seemed to approve. I retrieved my yearbook from my room and showed it to Mom. I fixed us each a mug of tea and we looked through it together. I could tell that Sam was deep in thought, as he never made a crack about us both drinking tea!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty-Three

Tuesday was a busy day. First, it was the last day of classes for seniors. Second, it would be the last official meeting of the Fab Four. Then there'd be the meeting with next year's contestants. I was really looking forward to that!

The morning consisted of reviews for finals and getting yearbooks signed. The flap over Jason's photo had seemed to pass. Many people just blanked his picture out. I was pleased that it didn't become a huge issue.

At lunch Caroline and I arrived first for the meeting. We traded yearbooks to write our sentiments. Denise showed up a few minutes later. I was a bit surprised that she had a yearbook, as it seemed out of character for her. But I should have learned never to make an assumption about Denise. We passed our books around.

Ms. B walked into the meeting along with Lisa. I noticed that Lisa's eyes were red, as if she'd been crying. She also looked very relieved.

"Good afternoon, everyone," greeted Ms. B. She was standing there with her arm around Lisa. They looked at each other and Ms. B nodded.

"I need to say a few things to all of you. First, I consider all of you my friends and I wouldn't have gotten this far without your support. I have decided to drop out," announced Lisa.

We all sat there in silence. Lisa was holding back tears. We all waited for her to finish.

"I want to graduate as Glenn. This is very important to me and the more I thought about it, the less important the scholarship seemed. My own well-being is more important than money, and I finally see that, after many sleepless nights," explained Lisa.

I stood up and walked over and hugged her, and was quickly joined by Caroline and Denise. I could understand her/his need to feel at ease.

"So, you aren't going to try and talk me out of this?" asked Lisa/Glenn.

"No, it's your decision and as your friend I fully support you," stated Caroline.

"I agree with Caroline," I added. I had mixed feelings but I knew what could happen when you ignored your personal well-being.

"Same here," chorused Denise.

Ms. B stood back and watched us. She seemed very pleased with all of our reactions and responses. I figured that Glenn and Ms. B had had a long talk about this issue. I also knew that Ms. B would keep it private.

"Glenn, you're welcome to stay, but I need to talk to the remaining contestants," she explained.

He nodded and sat there and signed our yearbooks.

"Now, I know all of you have volunteered to speak this afternoon and I appreciate it. It will be similar to the meeting that you attended last year. As you weren't here last year, Erika, I'll tell you what will happen. First, I'll present the rules and regulations of the contest and then there will be a question and answer period. In addition to you three, there will be several of the contestants who dropped out. Now you don't have to answer any question that you feel is too personal."

"Sounds good," I stated. "Who are the other speakers?"

"Andrew/Anne, Charlie/Claire and I also have one of the boys who only lasted a few weeks. His name is Bill Abbott," replied Ms. B.

I knew Bill and had forgotten that he'd once been a contestant. I actually had to look in the yearbook to remember what he'd looked like as a girl. I also figured that it would probably be too emotional for Glenn to speak at that point.

I was happy that Glenn was happy. Having had more than my share of emotional stress this year, I fully understood his decision. I would still miss Lisa. It then hit me that Denise had to be the third! Still I'd wait until she said something about it.

During 6th period I looked through my yearbook and started to look through the main section. I saw that Caroline also had had her profile updated to show her as female. Glenn's profile didn't, and there was no mention of the contest in his bio. Lisa was, of course, in the scholarship pages. I then flipped to find Denise's profile. I saw that she'd had her profile updated and didn't mention her male name. Denise had pulled off a stealth transition!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty-Four

The meeting for next year's competition was held in the auditorium after school. I showed Caroline the yearbook entry for Denise and we both smiled. Denise walked over to us and saw that we were looking at her profile. She broke out in smile. "I was wondering when someone would make the connection," said Denise.

"When did you know?" I asked. "Oh, by the way, congratulations!"

"Thanks, Erika. I've always known. My sisters used to let me dress in their clothes when I was growing up. They thought it was cool that I wanted to be a girl," explained Denise.

"Why didn't you tell us?" asked Caroline. "It would have been nice to know we weren't alone and we could have helped each other."

"I figured if I came out no one would take me seriously anyway. If I'd declared that I was TS it might have hurt you two by association, so I just kept it to myself and Ms. B," explained Denise. "I know that I'm a bit of a flake, and that most here at school don't take me seriously. However, in the band I'm taken very seriously as both a musician and a girl."

"I think it's wonderful. I'm happy to be your friend," I stated.

"Erika, you are one of the exceptions here; you've always been cool with me. Maybe it's because you were new here this year and you have no prior knowledge of me. I appreciate that you've been one of my friends all year. Caroline, I also appreciate that you've changed your opinion of me. I know that you initially thought of me as the strange kid in a bad garage band, and I always thought you were a bit stuck up. But I'm happy that we're now friends. I guess we've all changed some this year."

We both stood there speechless. Caroline broke the silence. "Well, I'm glad that is water under the bridge." All three of us hugged again.

Ms. B walked over and looked at us. "So, the secret is out?"

We all nodded.

Well, this definitely will be a year to remember!" exclaimed Ms. B with a smile. "This is also only the second year that a TS student has won the scholarship. Sandra was the only previous winner, and she didn't come out until after school was over."

I smiled thinking how we had smashed that record, but at the same time it would have been nice to share with a non-TS contestant.

We sat down on the edge of the stage and watched as the various contestants entered the gym. I recognized a few of them from my classes. There were several from the history class where I'd been a TA. I was pleasantly surprised to see Alex's brother Nick sit down. He smiled at me and I gave him the thumbs up sign.

The rest of the ex-contestants entered and joined us on the edge of the stage. I also noticed nine or ten girls walk in and sit down with the rest of the contestants. Ms. B just smiled and winked at us. A few more people walked in and sat down. I did a quick headcount and determined that there were forty-two boys and sixteen girls.

Once everyone was there, Ms. B began to speak. "I want to welcome you all to this informational meeting for those interested in next year's senior scholarship contest. I'm Ms. Bell and I am the coordinator for the contest. First off, I want to say that this is strictly an informational meeting. You don't need to decide one way or the other if you want to participate. Additionally, if you have friends interested and they couldn't be here today, they're not disqualified."

No one got up and left, so I guess that was a good sign.

"Okay, first let me tell you that as always there will be some changes in the contest from this year, so please read the handbook carefully. Now the first big change is that there will be two contests. For the first time we are having a contest open to girls. Of course they will be held to the same strict rules as the boys. Like the boys who will live 24/7 as girls, they'll have to do the same and live 24/7 as boys. It won't be just put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and collect a full scholarship. It will require appropriate haircuts and following a very rigid set of grooming rules. For example, you will not shave your legs, etc."

One girl got up and walked out. Another girl raised her hand. "Some boys wear their hair long, so why can't we keep our hair long?"

"That's true, but they usually don't have it styled with bangs like yours. If you're in doubt on what is appropriate, then see me before the start of school," explained Ms. B.

There were a few laughs following the bangs remark but no one else left.

"Now, specific grooming and clothing standards are in your handbooks, so please read them carefully. Next, the scholarship money will be staggered. In the event of a tie next year, we will take other things into account. Of course, for a tie to occur two or more will have to make it to graduation. If everyone quits at the same time in the middle of the year, then a committee will decide the winner. Boys and girls are not competing against each other. There will be winners in each gender group. First place in each group will receive a full four- year scholarship plus expenses; second place will receive 90 percent and third 80 percent. Of course, that's only in the case of a tie. 75 percent will be the lowest amount anyone will receive who ties at the end of the year."

A boy in the front row raised his hand. "Ms. B, what sort of things are you talking about in breaking a tie?"

"Things like participation in school events, clubs, job, etc. Additionally, there will be some optional challenges next year, in addition to the mandatory challenges. At the end of the year we will evaluate the contestant's records and then make a decision. The possibility exists for a real tie, but don't count on it. Also there will a job fair this fall for anyone interested. The companies at the fair want to support the contest and will offer gender specific jobs to contestants."

"What were the mandatory challenges this year?" asked another boy.

"There was a fashion show, working as a waitress at the big charity dinner, taking child development, and a few others. I do want to make one thing VERY clear. The challenges are not designed to embarrass or humiliate you. They are to give you insight into the gender you are experiencing."

I looked at Nick and he smiled and extended his belly when Ms. B mentioned the child development class. I had to hold back from laughing.

"Now, at some point next year the scholarship committee will determine a date at which all remaining contestants will receive some money. These dates are determined by the committee and are not announced. However, the school has agreed that anyone who makes it through the first semester will get extra academic credit for a course in 'Cultural Differences'.

One of the girls raised her hand and asked a question. "Excuse me, but what will be some of the challenges for the girls?"

"You will be required to take shop. The choices are wood, metal, or auto. You will also be waiters and busboys for the dinner, and caddies for a golf tournament. There will be a few others that we are still arranging."

She then turned around and introduced us to the audience. She said that we were here to answer any questions related to our experience in the competition. Ms. B also reminded them to keep the questions relevant and appropriate.

"I have a question," asked a red headed boy in the back. "What would be the best advice you could give us?"

Bill Abbott answered that one. "Follow the rules. If Ms. B says something, don't try to find a way around the rules. Not everyone quits from the contest. During the first few weeks many are kicked out for rules violations. That's what happened to me."

"What did you do?" asked another boy.

"It's more along the lines of what I didn't do. We were supposed to wear skirts or dresses at least three days of the week, and I figured that no one would be keeping track. I figured wrong!" His response was followed by lots of laughter.

"I'd like to add that if you have problems or issues, always let Ms. B know. They have help available," I added.

"Use the discount card!" added Caroline. "It'll save you a boatload of money, especially if the contests lasts as long as ours did."

"I'd suggest that you should find a close friend or relative to help you with the day to day things, especially in the first couple of weeks," stated Andrew.

Charlie looked around and then spoke. "Keep an open mind and accept help when it's offered. Don't try to do this alone. I also agree with Erika, see Ms. B when you need help or have questions."

There was a lot of nodding in agreement and a few were taking notes. Another hand went up. "When did you start dressing for the contest?" asked a blond haired boy.

I started this one. "I started around two weeks before school began. It was a big help, especially when it came to getting dressed and doing my makeup. It made me feel much more at ease. You don't want your first day in a dress to be the first day of school."

"I started around the same time, and I agree with Erika. Looking back, I wish I'd started sooner," commented Denise. Caroline and I were amazed she said that with a straight face. We both had to hold in laughs.

The next few questions concerned classes and schedules. Then we got into the more serious questions. We were asked if there were any problems with our families over the contest. The answers included problems during the holidays and things like that. Caroline didn't answer and I didn't blame her. Ms. B stated that sometimes family issues did occur and they should be addressed as soon as possible. She went on to tell them that counseling would be available for anyone who wanted it.

I got an even more personal question from one of the boys. I think he was trying to impress his friends by being funny or controversial, but he ended up looking like a total jackass. He asked me if I considered the contest safe and did I feel I was warned sufficiently about potential problems and did I think that the contest was responsible for what happened to me. He had a stupid looking grin on his face as he waited for me to respond. There was a deafening silence in the auditorium after he asked it. People were staring at him speechless. Ms B was about to step in, but I waved her off.

"The contest wasn't responsible for what happened to me. For those who don't know what he's talking about, I was sexually assaulted back in the fall. The person who attacked me was a student here and had been expelled for attacking me earlier in the year. He was the problem, not the contest. I'll say that the school provided me with great support and assistance. Did I answer your question?"

I smiled a very sweet smile at him that bordered on psychotic. It was designed to make him feel three inches tall, and I think it worked. I had been studying Sam's smile for this sort of emergency. My answer was greeted by applause and he got up and slinked out. Ms. B looked at me and smiled while shaking her head.

"That does remind me of one important thing. If you are teased, harassed, or bothered in any way because of your participation, you should contact me immediately. The school's code of conduct protects you, just as it would any other student," reminded Ms. B. "We will also attempt to help you with any such problems outside of school."

Another boy asked about the length of the contest.

"The length is strictly determined by the students who enter the contest. This year's group had the correct mixture of participants to make it last this long. Last year's contest barely made it to winter break, so it's all up to you!" explained Ms. B

There were a few more questions, but nothing controversial.

"I want you all to read the rule book very carefully. There is a phone number and an e-mail address inside the front cover that you can use to ask questions over the summer. This is a great opportunity to learn about the opposite gender and a chance to get some money for college," reiterated Ms. B. She then dismissed everyone.

After the juniors left Ms. B walked over to me. "I'm sorry about that question, Erika, but you handled it well."

"Thanks. So, when did they make the decision to start an FtM branch of the contest?" I asked.

"They wanted to wait until a contestant went the whole year. I'll tell you more next week during our dinner. By the way, I've invited Caroline and Denise to join us, I didn't think you'd mind."

"No, not at all, that sounds great! So will we get our secret decoder rings that night?" I asked.

Ms. B just smiled.

I looked at my watch and said goodbye, as I had to head to therapy.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty-Five

Laura gave me a lift to see Jenny. Although she had a bit heavier schedule than I, Laura wasn't worried about her final exams. She didn't talk about it much, but her GPA was almost as high as Cat's. Laura said that she loved coming here because it gave her a chance to catch up on the scandal sheets.

Jenny and I focused a lot of our session on my emotions and adapting to them. Jenny was obviously still concerned about my reoccurring posttraumatic stress, especially with the increased emotional flow due to the hormones. She also told me to be aware of getting depressed following the surgery.

"It's very common for patients having surgery to get depressed. You're especially at risk due to the nature of your surgery. You know that you'll initially look pretty bad afterwards. It may bring back memories of your attack."

"I've thought of that. Dr. Ayres also told me that I might feel regrets. I promise to call you if I have problems," I replied.

"I've already called up Dr. Ayres and briefed him on your status. Your mom insisted that I do this, and she gave me permission to talk to him," explained Jenny.

I smiled. It was nice to know that I had so many people looking out for me.

On the way out I told her about Sam and his dedication to his latest case. "I just wanted you to know that he thinks very highly of you."

"The feeling is mutual. It's wonderful having a DA who is so dedicated, especially when it comes to abuse and sexual assault cases. He's gaining a great reputation."

I felt a sense of pride as she praised my dad!

Laura stood up when we came out and handed me one of the papers. "Hi Jenny. Erika you have to read this one!"

Jenny said goodbye and left us alone.

I looked at the article. It was about one of the chimps at the San Diego Zoo. "Hey, this is about Pearl. She was the one Kristen and I did our science project on. She was on the Chimp Cam," I explained.

Laura smiled. "Wait until you read the rest of it!"

It went on to describe how a pet psychic claimed that the chimp used to be a human! The psychic went on to say that the chimp claims that it has memories of being in the navy, but that was all it could recall. Unfortunately the chimp couldn't prove this to other people, since it couldn't read or write. The psychic also claimed that the process that was used to transform the man into the chimp apparently erased most of his memory.

I handed it back to her. "You know, for someone who has such a high IQ you sure read some garbage. This was worse than that magic slot machine!"

We headed over to Spencer's and some post-therapy cappuccinos. I gave up on the fruit smoothie for the evening. I desperately needed the caffeine. I also got a slice of key lime pie.

I told her about the changes in the contest and how there would be a category for girls next year.

"So, would you do it?" I asked.

"No way. I like dressing up too much. So would you?"

We both started laughing.

"Alex's brother was at the meeting," I added.

"Maybe he was there to see you. The kid has a real crush on you."

"What?" I exclaimed. I took a sip of my cappuccino.

"Oh, Erika! It was so obvious at the Memorial Day barbecue. He kept staring at you like a little puppy. I think it's cute."

I thought back to the party at Alex's house. Nick had hung out around me a lot that day.

"He'll get over me," I smiled. I thought about his having felt so honored that I'd ask him to sign my yearbook. I guessed I should feel honored. "Well this is a first! I never thought I'd be the object of a high school crush."

Laura smiled and leaned over and kissed me. "Actually, I was first. I wanted you from the first day we met!" She had a twinkle in her eye and a big smile on her face.

It was very difficult for both of us to go home, but there were finals in the morning. School can be very inconvenient at times!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty-Six

I actually went home and studied that evening. I had my Child Development final in the morning. Mrs. Roberts had said that it would a 100 question multiple-choice test. I really didn't like multiple- guess tests, as I always seemed to read too much into the answers. I also had my Law & Enforcement final tomorrow. I had misread the finals schedule earlier, one of those 'blonde' moments. Mr. Kline said that the test would be half multiple choice and half essay. It was a pain having two finals back to back, but the good thing about it was that I only had one final after that. American Lit was first thing Friday morning. Thursday would be a do nothing day since Photography and PE didn't have finals. I was worried most about the American Lit final, but I had a solid A going into the test. My Steinbeck paper had been very well received. My teacher had said that it was obvious that I was getting my work proofread now, as there were fewer errors in my writing. I noticed that she only said that there were less errors and not that it was error free!

I won't bore you with a test-by-test commentary, but I did pretty well on my finals on Wednesday. I scored a ninety-one on my Child Development final. I should have done better, but I thought too much on several questions and missed a few answers that I should have gotten right. I got a ninety-eight on the Law & Enforcement final! I aced the essay question, thanks to having the inside track. We had a choice of essay questions to answer and I'd selected the one that asked for a description of the criminal trial process. Sam would be happy! I only missed two multiple guess questions. Again, reading too much into the questions got me.

After finals most of us hung around school and signed yearbooks. I went by Ms. B's office and handed her my book. She wrote a very long write-up in my book.

"Here you go, Erika. It's been a real pleasure watching you bloom this year."

I read her write-up in my book. It was very emotional and personal. I felt tears forming in my eyes as I read it. They were the tears of joy you get when you know that someone close to you truly loves and supports you. I put the book down and hugged Ms. B for several minutes.

"Now it's your turn." She handed me a yearbook. "I like to keep one myself for all my favorite students and especially the contestants."

I sat down and tried to express my true feelings for her. She had helped me through some of the most trying experiences in my life and helped me to grow and discover my true self. I don't know if I truly expressed my feelings, but she seemed to approve of what I wrote. We hugged again and went through some more Kleenex.

I collected a few more faculty signatures before I caught up with Cat and Laura. The plan was to go home and study for a while and then go over to the pizza place for the little signing party.

I actually did some studying. I had a low A going into the final, and I really wanted it to stay that way. I really wanted to get straight A's for the semester. I'd never done that before, and I thought it would be a great graduation gift to Mom and Sam.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty-Seven

Around 5:00 Cat and Laura came over and we headed to Guido's. I'd been looking forward to this all day.

As we pulled in we saw Caroline and Paul walking across the parking lot with Mike and Tracey. Alex and Kristen were already inside. There were some others from school there, mostly jocks, cheerleaders, and student government types.

As the 'official good luck charm' of the football team I was in high demand by the football players. I still find that thought amusing.

I really took my time writing my responses in the books of my closest friends. Those people had been there for me through some very trying times, and I wanted to tell them how much they meant to me. I noticed that my new emotional loosening allowed me to truly express my appreciation and love for these people.

Of all the ones I had to write, Paul's write-up was the hardest. I guess you never really get over your first love. Thankfully,we were still great friends, but I thought there would always be a feeling of 'what if?' between us.

Laura's wasn't hard to write at all. The only problem I had was keeping it short and not getting too mushy.

I really took my time with Cat's write-up. I still had some feelings for her, but I knew that they'd never be acted on. What existed between us was deeper than just friendship, and I guess you could call us sisters.

Kristen did a great job in setting up the party and she ensured that everyone got a chance at all the books.

The second half of the party consisted of us reading the write-ups in our own books. Mike's was pretty good. He said that there'd always be a ticket for me at any game he was playing in. He's kept his word too, and that's how I ended up with forty-yard line seats for the last two Super Bowls!

I won't go into all the write-ups, but let's just say that I went through my share of Kleenex that night.

The party broke up around nine and we headed home. I felt a bit melancholy as I sat at the kitchen table sipping a cup of tea. Mom and I were looking through the yearbook. Sam walked in and joined us; he was, of course, drinking his coffee.

"You'd feel better if you were drinking coffee!" His sly smile told me that he was trying to cheer me up.

"The concept of being totally at peace with oneself originated around a teapot," I responded with a smile.

"Where did that come from?" asked Sam.

"From a tea box," I replied.

"Ahhh... propaganda from the tea people," stated Sam as he started to laugh.

Our little tea-coffee banter cheered me up.

"Thanks. I was just a little sad over the end of school and the splitting up of my friends."

"It's all part of life. I think that you'll stay in touch with many of your friends," remarked Mom.

"I hope so," I answered.

Sam excused himself and went back to working on the case. Mom and I sat and continued looking at my yearbook. Mom was relaxed, as her classes were over for now. She wouldn't have another class until the fall and that suited her fine. It would be cool to be going to college with Mom. Granted, we wouldn't be in the same classes or anything like that, but still it was neat that we'd be able to tell people we were classmates!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty-Eight

Thursday, as expected, was a breeze. Not having any finals was pretty cool. In Photography we showed each other our portfolios, a fun way to spend the period. I haven't talked much about my photographic skills, but I took a ton of shots during the school year. Sam took great joy in kidding me about my purse actually being a camera bag!

My other class that day was PE. Coach Chambers had us play volleyball while she signed our yearbooks. Thankfully I'd 'studied' for the final during the Memorial Day picnic!

I went home and studied for my American Lit final. I got in several hours of good studying while sitting out on the deck in my bikini. It was such a nice day that I'd decided to study while working on my tan. I also wanted to become more at ease in my bathing suit.

Work went very fast that night. Cindy kept Mel and I very busy the whole night. We spent a lot of time working on setting up new items. Mrs. Lincoln was starting to sell the fall line. It seemed strange that it wasn't even summer yet and yet we were selling fall clothing, but that's how the retail business works. I did get to see several of the items that I'd initially seen in NYC back in April.

Mrs. Lincoln mentioned to me that it was time for me to begin acquiring a few items with a more adult look, as there'd be more occasions in college where I'd want to present a mature and professional image. She pointed out a very stylish dark green business suit, with a slim, just-above-the-knee skirt and a smartly tailored jacket that could be worn either unbuttoned with a blouse or buttoned up without one.

"I think this would become you very nicely, my dear. It complements your hair perfectly," she stated. "What's more, it's very well made and is unlikely to go out of style. I'll put it aside for you, if you like."

I tried it on and liked the suit a lot. Mel said it gave me a really classy look. I thanked Mrs. Lincoln and said I'd definitely buy it. I still have it, and still get compliments whenever I wear it.

I spent a couple more hours studying before going to bed. I really wanted to do well on the final. I also thought about the senior picnic at the pool. I checked the weather on the late news and they said it would be the nicest day of the year, sunny and warm. So much for rain!

My American Lit final was difficult, but there was nothing unexpected. I'd correctly figured out the topics of the essay questions and I thought I'd written good answers. Jumping ahead, I got a 90 on the final and ended up with an A in the course! I only wished that I had been that focused academically earlier in my life.

As a TA I didn't have a final for Mr. Kline's class. Instead he put me to work grading his tests. The tests were multiple choice, so it wasn't difficult. I got a lot of tests graded for him and he was very grateful.

I caught up with Cat and Laura and we drove back to my house to get ready for the pool party. Cat and Laura had no problems changing in front of me. I was just another girl to them. They did pay attention to my breasts when I got undressed.

"You're really growing out nicely," remarked Cat. "You must be up to an A cup by now."

"I know. It's amazing how well they've grown. My doctor will be very pleased when he sees me at the end of the month." I picked up my bikini top and slipped it on.

"I'm impressed now," stated Laura with a laugh.

"Your girl friend is so oversexed!" noted Cat.

"You should know!" said Laura winking at me.

We all broke out laughing.

I did go into the bathroom to slip on my bikini bottom. I wasn't quite ready to do that in front of them.

I examined myself and saw that my maleness was sufficiently hidden. I was nervous that some idiot at the picnic would try to pull my suit down.

We finished packing up our beach bags and headed over to the pool. On the way over I expressed my fears and Cat told me not to worry about it - it was taken care of. She didn't go into any details.

As we entered the pool area Cat saw Kristen and Tracey, and we walked over and joined them. Of course Alex and Mike were there as well as Caroline and Paul. I decided to get it over with and took off my shorts and t-shirt.

Alex, Mike, and Paul all stared without saying a word. Kristen smiled and broke the ice. "Don't let these Neanderthals worry you, Erika, you look great. I really love your suit!" complimented Kristen.

That brought everyone back to normal and I soon felt at ease around them. I did notice Cat talking to Alex and he was nodding. He got up and walked over to see some of his friends.

"Alex is putting the word out that if anyone bothers Denise, Caroline, or you, they'll have to answer to the team. I wouldn't worry about anyone pulling your suit off other than Laura." Cat smiled.

"Hey, I heard that!" laughed Laura. She was smiling at me.

It did much to ease my anxiety.

The picnic was a great time. We had the whole pool to ourselves so we weren't bothering anyone else.

Denise showed up in a fairly normal bathing suit. I'd forgotten about all the tattoos on her body. I was still amazed that she was transgendered, but looking back, I should have seen it. However, I didn't feel too bad, as she had even fooled Sherlock Cat!

The picnic lasted all afternoon and into the evening. It was a great day and I was glad that I'd gone. The threat from Alex and the team apparently spread out to cover all the girls at the picnic, since no one had their suit pulled off.

We sat there talking about the remaining events in our high school careers. Monday we'd have graduation practice at the stadium. We'd also pick up our caps and gowns. Then that evening we'd have our senior night award/talent show. Graduation would be at 5:00 PM Tuesday, and then the parties would begin.

Laura said that the grad night at the school would be a great party. The school, parents, and local businesses had set it up, and it was designed to provide a safe place for us. It would start at ten and would last until morning. In addition to games, music, and free food, there'd also be plenty of excellent door prizes.

My little circle of friends planned to go to a party at Alex's barn, then head over to the grad night party later on. I also thought about my upcoming dinner with Ms. B and hopefully getting answers to so many of my questions.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Twenty-Nine

Early Saturday morning I was sitting out on the deck reading the paper. Sam and Mom were still asleep. I was glad that they were resting, as Sam had been working so late this week. It was nice to have a free weekend without any plans or problems.

I was surprised at how some birds would go to the feeder and not mind me being only twenty feet away, while other species wouldn't come close. The rabbits didn't seem to mind my presence, as long as I didn't move too suddenly. The squirrels were also oblivious to me.

I was wearing a pair of khaki shorts and a t-shirt. I was pleased with my tan so far. My legs were nicely tanned all over. Laura had suggested that if the weather was nice we should go to the pool again. Judging by the weather it seemed like it was a great idea. I decided to go for a run, so I went upstairs to change. Actually, I was hoping Sam would be up so he could join me.

I switched to my running gear. I was starting to need the sports bra now, it no longer was just part of my disguise. I went downstairs and started on my warm-up stretches. Sam came down and asked me if I wanted some company. I quickly agreed.

We stuck to the same route as we'd used the previous time.

"So, how do you feel about graduating?" asked Sam.

"Excited, scared, happy, sad - the usual range of emotions."

"Good. I'm glad to see that everything is normal."

I looked over and he smiled at me. I loved his smile. I started to giggle a little which can really mess up your breathing when you're running.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing. So, have you and Mom decided where you're going on your honeymoon?"

"We've narrowed down our choices." We made the turn at the high school.

"Well, don't worry about me."

"Who?"

I glanced over and caught another smile.

"We know you'll be okay. Actually, we may delay the big honeymoon until next year. We're thinking of taking an Alaskan cruise next June. So, it looks like we might just take a long weekend trip to New York."

"That's cool."

"So, are you okay with the surgery?"

"A little worried."

"Just a little?"

It was my turn to smile back.

"Well, I'm glad you'll have Jill and your friends up there with you."

"I know you want to be there."

"Yes, I'd love to be able to go."

I got such a warm feeling knowing how much he cared about me.

"I know." We glanced over at each other and nodded.

"I'll be there when you have your SRS."

"Really?" I hadn't really thought about that. It was so cool that he wanted to be there.

"Sure. I wasn't there when you were born, so it'll be the next best thing."

I was speechless. Sam was likening my SRS to be being born. Maybe he was right? I was silent, thinking about it as we ran the last mile.

"Thank you. I love you, Dad." I was too choked up to say anything else.

He smiled at and me and gave me a hug. I didn't even mind the fact that we were both soaked in sweat.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty

Later that morning we were all out on the deck. Mom suggested that we go out to dinner that night, just the three of us. It had been a while since we'd done something like that. Sam called in a reservation at

one of his favorite restaurants. We had 7:30 reservations.

I told them that we were going to the pool and that I'd be home in plenty of time to get ready for dinner.

Laura came by with Caroline and Paul. We were soon joined by Cat and Matt, and we all piled into Laura's car. Matt had skipped the senior pool party to spend the day with Tom Bell at the police station. Sam had arranged it all.

The pool wasn't too crowded when we arrived, although they expected it to be full by mid-afternoon.

"Erika, I really appreciate your dad setting me up with the police yesterday. I learned so much. For a small town force they are very modern. The officers I talked to give a lot of credit to your dad. They said that the DA's office insisted that they improve their processes," explained Matt.

"That's good to hear. So, when do you have to be down in Philly?"

"Wednesday. I'm looking forward to starting."

"Cat, are you going down there this summer?" asked Caroline.

"Yes, I'm heading down there sometime in late July for a week. I'll be looking for a place to stay for college, but I'll be back up here for the wedding," replied Cat.

"I can't believe we'll all be splitting apart in a few weeks," said Paul.

"I know. I've only known you guys for less than a year, but I feel like I've known you my whole life," I confessed.

"Well, Erika that's true," replied Cat.

In so many ways Cat was right, my life had started over when we came here. Sometimes you DO get a second chance.

The conversation ranged from grad night to our trip to NYC. Caroline was a little bummed out that she wasn't going. I told her that we'd have to go together some time in the future.

Matt then got a brainstorm. "Hey! You know how I told you once that my family goes over to the Jersey shore for a few weeks every summer? Well, I forgot to tell you that we actually own the house at the shore. I'll check with my parents and see if we can get it for sometime this summer. You could all come down and stay there. What do you think?" he asked.

We all thought it was a great idea. Cat however acted as the voice of reason, damn her!

"I seriously doubt if our families would allow us to be there unsupervised. They still see us as kids," reminded Cat.

"I might be able to get my aunt to come down and act as a chaperone," offered Caroline.

"Well, let's see if we can get someone to 'watch over us' first," suggested Cat. "We can ask our families tomorrow afternoon."

I hoped we could pull it off, as I missed the ocean, even if it was the just the Atlantic!

Laura's parents were throwing a barbecue tomorrow and all of our families were invited.

"Even if we can't do it this year there's always next year," added Matt. "It will be a standing invitation."

The rest of the afternoon was very relaxing. We left around 4:30 and they dropped me off at my house. Laura said that she'd see me tomorrow and we kissed goodbye.

I went upstairs and took a long shower to wash away the smell of chlorine. I also rinsed out my suit and hung it up. My hair was getting lighter and my skin darker. My tan line was very distinct now. I stood there and looked at myself in the mirror. With the exception of my maleness, I looked like a girl. When I covered it up, there was no doubt that I was a girl. I wished that my surgery this coming week wasn't on my nose but the 'nip & tuck' on my maleness.

I grabbed a short nap before getting ready for dinner. I decided that I'd wear my black sleeveless dress. Mrs. Lincoln said that it was appropriate for all occasions. I wore a pair of gold hoop earrings and a plain gold chain. Simple but elegant, as Mrs. Lincoln said.

I went downstairs and joined Sam and Mom. They were both very impressed.

"Oh, honey! You look lovely," exclaimed Mom.

Sam stood there and smiled and nodded his head in approval. "Very nice, Erika."

We had a wonderful evening together. It was fun seeing the heads turn as we walked in. Sam was very well known in the community, and many were glad to see that he was settling down. Mom enjoyed the attention too. I was so happy that they were a couple. I was also proud to be their daughter.

Sam pointed out several lawyers and politicians in the room. Then I saw someone who I wasn't happy to see - Martin Turner. He walked over to our table. Actually a better description would be that he staggered over to our table.

"Hi Sham, how're you thish evening?" slurred Martin Turner. He obviously had been drinking. He stood between Mom and Sam.

"Good evening, Martin, I'm well thank you. I believe you know Jill and Erika," replied Sam.

"Yessh, of course. Congratulations on the engagement, Jill," he stated. He was very loud and people were staring at him. "How are you thish evening, Erika?" I could smell the alcohol on him as he leaned over to speak to me.

Mom just sat there seething.

"I'm fine thank you. I see you correctly remembered my name this evening" I replied. I was trying really, really hard to be pleasant. But my eyes gave away my true feelings. I also felt Mom gently kick me under the table.

"Well, I see that she still holds a grudge! ... Sham, you should teach her some manners and teach her that I wash only doing my job. There'sh no reason to take what I said in court so seriously." He was having trouble standing steady, and he had to use the table to steady himself.

"I'd love to continue this, but your presence is upsetting my family, so why don't you leave?" asked Sam. He then smiled at Martin Turner. Then speaking softly yet firmly, "If you stay, I can't guarantee your safety."

"Ohhh... your family! Shome family! You know, I could take what you just said as a threat!" shouted Martin Turner, slurring his words. "Well... I can tell where I'm not wanted!"

With that he turned to walk away, but he tripped and fell flat on his face, taking down a serving cart of food with him. The staff immediately rushed over to help him up and assist him out of the restaurant. There was some applause as he was escorted out.

Sam was struggling to hold in his laughter. Mom was sitting there as if nothing had happened and went back to eating her dinner. I was happy that Martin Turner had left and that he'd made a public spectacle of himself, but I had the feeling that I'd missed something.

When we left, there were all sorts of smiles, winks, and thumbs up to us. Apparently, Martin Turner wasn't much liked by anyone in the community.

I noticed Mom and Sam giving each other looks.

"So, what happened back there?" I asked.

Sam started laughing. "Martin didn't fall on his own, your mother tripped him as he turned to leave!"

"Really? That's so cool, Mom!" I broke out in a huge smile.

"I don't know what Sam's talking about," proclaimed Mom, all innocent.

Sam and I looked at her and began to laugh.

Mom couldn't keep her face straight, and she soon was laughing too. "I'm sorry, but that SOB had it coming!"

It might have been wrong, but we laughed the whole way home.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty-One

Sunday was my last day at work for a while. I was called back into Mrs. Lincoln's office for a little talk. Mrs. Lincoln said that my return date would be a group decision.

"This will be more painful that you may imagine Erika, and I'd rather you take some time off and then come back at 100%," suggested Mrs. Lincoln.

"I understand." Hey, it was better to agree than argue a point I had absolutely no chance of winning.

"Good. I'm pleased to see that you know what battles to fight and when to concede defeat. Trust me, young lady, I am only concerned about your well-being," replied Mrs. Lincoln. She had a slight smile on her face.

I was beginning to wonder if she could read my mind! "I know that. I'd like to say something to you; I really appreciate everything you've done for me this year. I've learned that just because someone is related to you that doesn't mean that they care about you. I've also learned that total strangers can one day become closer than you could ever imagine. I feel that way with my dad, and I feel that way about you. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I see you as my grandmother." I hoped that she didn't take this as an insult. I hoped that my words were adequate.

"That's a very lovely thought. I am very fond of you too. When Nancy initially brought you to my attention, I saw something in you that was special. You will accomplish some wonderful things in your life. I like to say that what I'm doing is giving you guidance and a jumpstart. The rest is up to you. As for you thinking of me as a grandmother figure, I guess that's acceptable, although I don't see myself as the right age quite yet." She actually laughed slightly!

There were things I wanted to ask her about but knew not to ask. I was content to be given some more insight into everything that had happened this past year. "Thank you, Mrs. Lincoln." I could tell that she was moved by my confession.

"Now, I understand Anthony will be picking you and your entourage up on Thursday morning. You must have made quite an impression on him, as he insisted on personally driving you to and from the city. Here is my cell phone number. If you have any problems you are to call me immediately."

I smiled. I liked the way she made her help 'an order', any other way would have been out of character. "I will. Thank you again."

After we closed, Cindy and Mel called me to the back room.

"I have a little gift for you in honor of your impending surgery," announced Mel, as she handed me a wrapped box.

I took the gift and unwrapped it; inside was a Mrs. Potato Head toy. We all broke out laughing. "Thank you so much."

"I figured that it might help you select your nose," Mel informed me.

"I'm glad you didn't say 'pick my nose'," I quipped. That caused another round of laughter.

"On the more serious side, we'd like to give you this as a graduation present," added Cindy. She handed me a small box.

I opened it and found it contained a pair of diamond stud earrings. I was overwhelmed by their generosity.

"They're beautiful, but you shouldn't have." I could feel my eyes tearing up.

"Don't worry about it, we used our mall employee discount," Cindy replied with a smile on her face.

"Thank you very much!" We all hugged. I immediately changed my earrings. They did look lovely. "So, what do you think?" I stood there modeling their gift.

"Very nice, Erika," replied Cindy. Mel stood there nodding in agreement. Both of them were smiling.

"I really don't deserve friends like you two!"

"That's true, but you're getting there," smiled Mel. We hugged again.

I asked if they wanted anything from NYC. Cindy joked that a cheesecake would be nice. I told them I'd see what I could do. I couldn't wait until I could start working again. I'd miss working with them.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty-Two

I got home and Mom and Sam were both very impressed with my earrings. I also showed them my Mrs. Potato Head which they both thought was hysterically funny.

"We're heading over to Laura's house in a half an hour, so you have time to change," reminded Mom.

I changed into a floral skirt and a matching cotton top. Naturally I was wearing sandals! I kept my new earrings in to show Laura and Cat.

I was glad that Laura's parents had become friendly with Mom and Sam. I also liked the fact that they were becoming more accepting of Laura being out. I still felt Laura's mom wasn't sure of me yet.

We brought a huge tossed salad to the party. Mom had made her 'secret recipe' salad dressing that had always been my favorite. It was like a vinaigrette, but made with fresh squeezed orange juice and just a hint of garlic.

The Adams had invited nearly twenty people for the barbecue. I was pleased to see Paul and his parents. Caroline was with them, along with her aunt. Apparently her parents were still working out their issues with her. It was their loss because Caroline was such a great person. Apparently the groundwork I had laid with Paul's parents had carried over with Caroline. Paul told me that she'd become one of the family.

Paul's parents saw me and greeted me warmly. "How have you been Erika?" asked Paul's father.

"I'm doing well, Mr. Brady, thanks for asking." I then received a hug from Mrs. Brady.

"Paul told us that you're going to New York this week for surgery. I want to give you our best wishes," Mrs. Brady replied.

"Thank you, that means a lot!" I responded.

I slowly made my way through the adults then eventually escaped and joined my friends out in the back yard.

"Hey, she made it through the gauntlet!" announced Laura, who came over and gave me a kiss.

"I don't mind that much; it does show that they accept me," I replied.

"Oooh, new earrings! When did you get those?" asked Cat.

I went on to tell them about the gifts from Cindy and Mel.

"Damn! I wish I'd thought of the Mrs. Potato Head!" stated Paul.

"There, there, Paul," comforted Caroline, "you can't be the only one in town with an immature sense of humor."

We all started laughing. It felt very good to just hang out with friends and not worry about the future.

"Where's Matt?" asked Laura.

"He's talking to Sam. He's getting some contacts in the Philly PD," answered Cat.

We talked about bringing up the idea of the trip to the shore later on. Cat said that Matt's family had said that we could use the house the week before Labor Day. That worked well for everyone's schedule. It was after the wedding and two weeks before Cat's classes started. She had the earliest starting classes. Caroline's aunt Kathy said that she'd be able to chaperone us. She was twenty-six and she worked at the same computer company as Mom and Terri in a different department. Kathy was a programmer, but she knew both Terri and Mom.

We decided to present the idea all at once and go for a consolidated attack, hoping to win them over before they could plan a coordinated defense.

Matt came over and joined in our discussion. He said that the house had four large bedrooms and was within walking distance of the beach.

We continued our planning and worked up answers to their possible objections. After dinner when everyone was relaxed, we sprung it on them.

We let Cat be our spokesperson, and she did a pretty good job. At least no one was totally against the idea. Sam and Mom didn't see a problem, as long as Kathy was with us. Terri also had no problems with the idea. She vouched for Kathy to the other parents. Paul's father had a few questions, but he then went along with those voting for the trip. Paul's mom thought it would be a wonderful time. Laura's mom wanted to know the sleeping accommodations but when she heard that the couples would all be separated, she reluctantly agreed. Mr. Adams had no problem with the idea and said that he totally trusted Laura and me.

I think we were a bit disappointed that we didn't have a chance to use all our well worked out arguments in favor of the trip. We were startled to see that our families were beginning to see us as adults.

We thanked them all and then we left them to go and start the planning.

"Well, that caught me off guard!" exclaimed Paul.

"Yes, just when you think you've got them figured out, they go and surprise you!" added Laura.

That brought on some more laughing. We spent the next hour talking about the week. It would be a nice way to end the summer.

"By the way, Kristen asked me to remind you guys about breakfast tomorrow. She's getting a bunch of us together at the pancake house before graduation practice," said Cat.

"Sounds good, what time?" asked Paul.

"She wants us there around 8:30," added Cat.

We all agreed to go. Graduation practice started at 10:00 and was supposed to be over by noon. The award night wasn't supposed to start until 5:00. Laura whispered to me that we could make up for lost time this past weekend!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty-Three

Breakfast was a blast. Fortunately the breakfast rush was over by the time we got there, and they were a bit more tolerant of a large, loud group of high school students than they might have been if we'd gotten there earlier.

I was developing a little problem, a nice one, but a problem nevertheless. My breasts had grown to the point where my bras were a bit too small when I also used my boob pads. However, my bras were still too big and loose without them. I was showing cleavage for the first time in my life! Laura and Cat found this very amusing and told me that at the rate I was growing I could ditch the pads soon.

I had to admit that I did like the looks and the attention that I was receiving. It also made me feel more secure, knowing that it made me look more like a natural born female.

One of the nice things about going to breakfast with our group was that no food went to waste. Alex and Mike were training heavily and had huge appetites. They ate everyone's leftovers. Kristen joked that it was better than having a dog.

I was looking forward to going to some of their games this year. Sam was a big football fan and between us, we were working on Mom to join us on some road trips to see some games. If she didn't want to go to the games, that was fine, but we at least wanted her to join us on the trip down to state. She said she'd think about it.

Practice was organized confusion at best. We would be going up in alphabetical order. I'd be one of the last ones to get their diploma. Our graduating class would be right around 600 students. The exact number wasn't out yet, as a few students' grades were still in question. Cat had just missed out on being the class valedictorian. She didn't mind, as she didn't want to give a speech anyway. Laura, being class president, would have to make a speech and she was looking forward to it. Laura was born to be a politician and she loved being in the spotlight.

After the practice we went to pick up our caps and gowns. The school had shifted to basic black a few years ago. The tassel was in the school's colors, a mixture of silver and red threads with our class year on it. We were told not to mark our outfits in any way, unless we wanted to pay for them. Thankfully, they'd all been pressed by volunteers, so we wouldn't have to worry about that. I thought it was ironic that the gown was a unisex garment.

After dropping Cat off, Laura and I went into my house and went upstairs to my room. At least she waited until I hung up my gown before pulling me to the bed! She unbuttoned my top and slipped it off. My bra and boob pads soon joined it on the floor. Laura then slowly removed her top and bra. She then pulled me close and we began to kiss. I felt her hand on my nipples, gently rubbing and massaging them. The sensation drove me crazy and I returned the favor. She then slipped down and began to kiss and lick my nipples. I was on my back and she was lying next to me, her tongue flicking at my very hard and erect nipples. The sensations of pleasure she produced in me drove deep down into my body, causing me to tremble in excitement. She seemed to know exactly how fast and where to touch and lick to drive me wild.

She then guided my head down to her breasts and I repeated the moves that she'd just taught me. I learned that gentle works better than hard and that pleasure didn't need to be fast.

She then slowly brought me back down and then we lay together in each other's arms. I felt so relaxed after coming down from the high she'd given me.

"How was that, my love?" she whispered in my ear.

"Incredible. I never knew it could feel like that," I responded. I cuddled up closer to her.

"That was just the next step. I have so much to teach you."

We just lay there for a long time holding on to each other. It was a very sharing moment and it didn't need conversation or questions. Laura was exposing me to another side of my growing femininity.

"You made the right decision, Erika, you really are a girl," announced Laura as she got dressed. "Your responses are so feminine."

"Thanks. It all feels so natural."

"So, no desire to pull out your maleness?"

I picked up a pillow and threw it at her, which started a five-minute pillow fight that left us laughing hysterically on my bed.

Laura needed to go home to change before senior night. She said that she'd come by around 4:30 to pick up Cat and me. We kissed goodbye and I watched her drive off.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty-Four

I showered and changed. I selected a green summer dress. I was just about dressed when Cat called. She asked if she could come over and wait with me. Of course I said yes.

Cat looked very nice, she was wearing a red and white summer dress. We grabbed a couple of sodas and then sat out on the deck to enjoy the afternoon sun.

"So have you and Laura talked much about the upcoming separation?" asked Cat.

"No, not really. I don't think that either of us wants to think about it," I replied.

"I know how you feel. It's very hard being in a long distance relationship."

"So, how do you and Matt make it work?" I took a sip of my soda.

"Well, e-mail helps. It's nice just being able to trade messages. Matt also phones me at least once a week. I think we make it work because we're so honest with each other."

"That makes sense."

"I've known Laura my whole life, and I can tell you that you can trust her. If she decides that she wants to see someone else, she'll tell you first."

"I know. I want to be equally honest with her, not that I'm planning on messing around on her."

"I know you won't, Erika. That's why I think you two make such a great couple. I loved my little fling with her. It taught me a lot about myself. I'm also glad that we've remained friends."

"Did you know that she wanted to date me?" I asked.

"Yes. We talked about many things when we were together. You fascinated her from the moment she met you in school. She really thought you were a girl, and I had to set the record straight."

"I see. So when did you know that I was TS and not just dressing to get the scholarship?" I asked.

"I suspected right away, but I wasn't positive until that first football game and saw how you reacted to being attacked. It was very clear that you were a girl, no matter what your body was like."

"Mom said she knew the first day I dressed," I replied.

We both sat there silent for a moment.

"Do you still consider yourself bisexual?" asked Cat, breaking the silence.

I thought about it for a second. "Yes, I suppose I do. Sexually, I am female. I can't even imagine trying to be sexual as a male."

"That makes sense. So, do think you could have sex with a guy?"

The nice thing about our relationship was that we had total honesty.

"I have to admit that I'm a bit curious about it. I want to know what it feels like when it's with someone I want to be with. I don't consider what Jason did to me to be sex. I'm not looking or anything, just curious."

"That makes sense. Just be careful when you do it; be sure it's a partner who you can trust."

"I will; it's not like it's going to happen anytime soon," I replied, "at least, not until after I've had my SRS."

"I think you should explore your sexuality. As much as Laura and you make a wonderful couple, you looked pretty happy with Paul."

"I know. Our relationship was another casualty of the assault. I wonder sometimes what might have been, but then again, we've remained friends, and he and Caroline really seem to be in love."

"It's okay to have regrets, you're only human."

"Thanks. I don't know how I could have made it through this year without your help."

She smiled and reached over and took my hands in hers. "The way you successfully overcame so much this past year has been an inspiration to me. I want to thank you for that."

We said there looking at each other and holding each other's hands. It was a very special moment that further bonded our friendship.

We were snapped back into reality by the doorbell and the sound of Laura's voice. "Hello!" announced Laura.

We smiled and got up to join her.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty-Five

I was impressed that almost the entire senior class and most of the faculty showed up for senior night. Laura was one of the MCs so Cat and I sat down together with Kristen, Alex, Tracey, and Mike. Cat told me that Paul and Caroline were part of the program.

The first part of the evening was filled with students getting a variety of awards. They ranged from high GPAs to perfect attendance. Everyone was totally blown away when the award for the greatest improvement in GPA went to Denise! They also announced the spring sports awards. The next part was announcing the winners of various scholarships and academic awards. They called out each name and the stage crew put a spotlight on the winners. Cat and Laura were both called up for being awarded full academic scholarships. They also had our athletes who had won scholarships stand up. That group included Alex, Mike, and Rachael. Then they called out my name along with Denise and Caroline as finalists for the scholarship competition. It was pointed out that we'd have to show up at graduation in order to win. That caused some laughter. By now everyone in our class knew that all three of us were TS.

After a bunch of other awards, they got to the fun stuff. They announced the real senior class awards. Paul was named as the class clown. That was a shock! Kristen and Alex won most popular, again no surprise. Cat won for being seen as most successful after graduation. I couldn't argue with that. Mike and Kristen won for the students most likely to become famous. Alex was a bit pissed over that choice. They went through a whole bunch of those. Some were very funny and others were very complimentary. Laura and Alex won as best leaders. I was stunned when they called my name out as most inspirational. I'd never seen myself as an inspiration to others. I was just trying to survive.

Thankfully, they didn't linger on those. There was a short musical break. They had some of the best musicians play together on the stage. I was pleased to see Charlie up there playing the piano. He started off playing classical and then shifted to more modern songs. Someone in the audience yelled out, "You rule, Schroeder!" referring to the cartoon character, and without missing a beat Charlie went into "Linus and Lucy" from the Peanuts cartoons. He got an instant standing ovation. I was so happy for him! It was one of the highlights of the evening.

However, THE highlight of the evening was the PowerPoint presentation from Paul and Caroline. They had created a hysterical presentation that showed many of us at our 20th reunion. They showed a photo of the person, then there was a cartoon drawing of them at the reunion. No one was spared in their show. In the spirit of the evening no one took what they'd done seriously, and we all joined in the joke. None of the depictions were mean spirited.

They covered many people in our class and I'll try to describe some of them. I was laughing so hard at most of them that it's hard to remember them all!

They showed a photo of Alex playing QB. Then they cut to a slightly overweight Alex in the TV booth at a football game. The commentary reported that after a career in football he'd made the switch to TV commentator. They noted that he was slowly growing into both the legacy and extra large suit of his mentor, John Madden.

Mike wasn't spared either. They noted that after a successful career in the NFL he skipped the chance to join Alex in the TV booth and instead became an action movie star. They said that he specialized in making films that never did all that well in the theater; but got lots of airplay on FOX at 2:00 AM. The picture showed him swinging through a glass window on a rope with a rocket launcher under his arm.

Laura was shown as a future United States Senator and future presidential candidate. They said she'd be running on a platform to end "idiotic meetings just for the sake of having meetings"! I guess her complaints about so many meetings had been noted. Laura laughed hardest at that one.

Next, they showed a photo of Denise playing the drums for The Downfall. That got a lot of cheers, as the band had become very popular. The drawing showed her as a conductor. Of course she was shown wearing a leather tux. They said that she was leading a successful thirty-city tour with her orchestra and their tribute to the Ramones.

Cat wasn't spared either. They showed her photo and told how she was going to college to study criminal investigation. The drawing showed her with the title "CSI Golden Hill" above her. The show was the 220th edition of the successful series and followed the real life adventures of Cat as she tracked down criminals.

Caroline and Paul even poked fun at themselves. They started a promising career in cartooning that ended when they both had a massive case of writer's block. The commentary stated that this didn't stop them from being successful in the comic industry. Their cartoon showed them as clerks in a comic book store.

They received a large ovation from the class when they finished. Caroline later told me that every idea that they'd had for me was too much of an inside joke and could have been taken the wrong way. I appreciated their concern, but I still would've liked to see how they'd roast me.

The rest of the evening was filled with other performances and musical acts. They ended the evening with a slide show set to music. It was a visual history of our class with an emphasis on our senior year. It lasted nearly twenty minutes and it brought back so many memories. It was all very moving as we watched the images on the screen. There were candid shots taken at school and off campus. The music was perfect. The team that put it together did a great job.

I was glad that the lights were off as my emotions were very loose. When they showed a picture of the banner and me when I came back after the attack, I let my tears flow. I was also hit by the cheering and applause that happened when they showed it. I felt Cat's hand take hold of mine.

I was also happy that the presentation lasted twelve more minutes so I could regain my composure. When they were done they announced that copies of the slide and the Power Point shows on CDs were available for $5.00 after in the lobby afterwards. I definitely wanted a copy of it, as it was a nice complement to the yearbook.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty-Six

Our group got together at Guido's after senior night. Paul and Caroline gave out the original cartoons to those who'd been roasted. They also had caricatures of the rest of us. It was a nice touch.

We sat and talked about how good a job they'd done with the whole show. We also talked about graduation and our plans afterwards. We already had each other's e-mail addresses, and we all promised to stay in touch. Alex reminded us about the 4th of July party at the barn. He said that both he and Mike would be back up here for it. I also reminded everyone about Mom's wedding and reception.

We sat in there until they closed. No one wanted to leave. I guess we all wanted to stay together just a bit longer. We stood out in the parking lot and hugged and kissed and cried. Yes, we'd see each other tomorrow and at future events, but this was the last time we definitely knew that we'd all be together. We all knew how important we were to each other. Even today, I get a bit emotional thinking about it.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty-Seven

I actually slept in Tuesday morning. I figured that I wouldn't be getting much sleep during the next twenty-four hours, so I might as well sleep when I could. When I finally got up it was almost 9 AM. I decided to get in a run, since it might be my last chance for a while to run my neighborhood route.

As I ran I thought about the previous night. The feeling that we'd had in the parking lot after Guido's closed still gave me a warm rush. I also thought about the surgery. I wasn't really afraid, just deeply concerned! I had no doubt that Dr. Ayres was an excellent surgeon. I'd found several articles on him online and they all considered him to be one of the best. I think it was just the normal anxiety that one got before any sort of operation. I smiled and wondered if I was this nervous before getting my nose worked on, then how bad would I be before my SRS or my penis inversion, as Laura called it.

I also thought about Laura and the last time we'd been alone together. I was blown away by the new sensations she'd introduced me to. The feelings were so deep. It really confirmed that this was the right thing to do.

As I continued my run, I became more aware of my breasts. True, they weren't very big yet, but I could feel them bounce as I ran. There was no way I could run without a bra now.

I arrived home after working up a great sweat. As I did my cool down, I walked around the yard. The bush was doing very nicely. It was in full bloom and there were even some new shoots. I loved that it was transforming a place of violence into a place of life and growth.

I went in and showered. The water felt very good as it hit my nipples. The combination of running and the rubbing in my bra had already left them a bit stimulated. The shower just finished the job. I was so glad that I had one of those massage showerheads!

Part of me was still worried about being made as a male. I know that was stupid, but it was a concern. We are always more critical about out own appearance than others are. I saw every defect and masculine trait, even if no one else did! I don't think that I've ever completely lost this concern, even though I've been living as a woman for years. The little things helped me to ease my concerns and the tan lines were one of these little things.

I was also looking forward to having my breasts grow to the point where I wouldn't my need boob pads. I'd be very satisfied with a B- cup, although I hoped to reach C! It's funny; in school A's are a good thing.

I had a nice dress to wear that evening. It was sleeveless, and the floral pattern looked like it was from a Hawaiian shirt. The post graduation party's theme was a tropical luau, or at least a Pennsylvanian idea of what a tropical luau was like!

I basically took it easy the rest of the day until it was time to go to graduation.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty-Eight

Laura picked up Cat and me and we drove over to school to get ready for graduation. We were all wearing summer party dresses, so we could go right to the parties. Mom, Sam, Matt, and Terri were going together and were planning on sitting with Laura's parents. We'd selected a meeting place to have our pictures taken afterwards.

I felt I looked pretty good and even Laura admitted that my makeup was near perfect. We slipped on our gowns and adjusted our caps. Thankfully, it wasn't too hot. The faculty worked hard to get us all into correct order to walk out onto the field. Graduation was being held in the football stadium and we would walk in along the track and then take our seats. The stage was set up in the end zone.

We gave each other a quick inspection. It was finally here! Suddenly the line began to move and we were on our way.

It was all sort of a blur to me. I was suddenly overwhelmed by the realization that I was about to graduate from high school as Erika Jean Warren. That name had been unknown to me a year ago, but now it was my identity, and I loved it! It also hit me that I'd just won a full four-year scholarship.

Thankfully at moments like that the body takes over while the mind is wandering. I have no memory of walking into the stadium or sitting down. My mind was rewinding the events of the past year and all I had been through. I got up and followed the person in front of me and walked up to the stage. I know I did this because I was snapped back into reality when I heard 'Erika Jean Warren' being announced on the PA system. I received my diploma and broke out into a huge smile. My main goal was to make it back to my seat and not lose it emotionally! I looked down at my diploma and saw my name in Old English font. It was another of those real moments!

The ceremony ended and we tossed our caps up in the air. I quickly retrieved mine. I then sought out friends to congratulate, hug, and in some cases kiss. I worked my way through the crowd and found Cat and Laura. We had a big group hug and kiss.

Sam and Mom came over and we hugged and kissed. They both said they were so proud of me. We then posed for a series of photographs in our caps and gowns. I think Mom shot an entire roll of film of us afterwards.

Cat, Matt, Laura, and I then said goodbye and took off to go to Alex's party. We removed our caps and gowns and put them in the trunk. We had to return them tomorrow. However, we had a whole night of celebrating to go through first.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Thirty-Nine

Laura hung up her tassel on the mirror in her car. I hadn't made up my mind if I was going to do that with mine. I asked Cat and Laura what they remembered about the ceremony and like me, they barely remembered a thing! I was glad that I wasn't the only one who'd zoned out.

We arrived at Alex's and went through another round of kisses and hugs. Another sign that I was totally accepted as a girl was that the boys had no problem with kissing me. I was just another girl at the party.

I had several people that I wanted to thank that evening. I didn't want to risk not thanking them personally. The first person I found was Alex.

I walked over and gave him a hug and a kiss. "I just want to thank you for everything, you really helped me be accepted at Central!"

He smiled back. "It was a pleasure. At first, I did it because Cat asked me to, but as I got to know you, I was proud to be your friend. I think it's cool that you are finding your true self."

Kristen walked over and we hugged. "I was just thanking Alex for helping me so much this year, and I wanted to do the same with you. I know you had a lot to do with my being so accepted at Central. I really appreciate it!"

"I didn't do anything that special. I merely opened the door, you deserve a lot of credit yourself," replied Kristen modestly.

I smiled. I knew some of the things she'd done for me and suspected that there were many others things that I'd never know about. "Still, I want to thank you!"

I repeated this with several other people, including Mike, Tracey, and Rachael. I then ran into Caroline and Paul.

"I still can't believe we did it!" exclaimed Caroline and we hugged.

"Congrats, Erika!" added Paul and we hugged and kissed.

"It's amazing how fast the year went by!" I replied. "It sometimes feels like a dream."

I then found Cat, Matt, and Laura.

"It looks like we'll all be going to college now," announced Laura. "Now that your financial issues are solved."

"I still can't believe it. Last year at this time, I doubted that I'd be going to college and now I have a full scholarship!" I exclaimed.

"That, and a nicer wardrobe," added Laura.

I smiled and kissed her. "Don't forget all my wonderful new friends and family."

We talked for a while. Matt was heading back to Philly on Thursday morning. He had stayed a bit longer than he'd originally expected to. I could tell that he was deeply in love with Cat. Who could blame him?

Laura said that she'd have to go the graduation party at the school early. She was expected to be there when it opened. It would be her last duty as class president.

I rode over with her. Cat and Matt said they'd ride over with Paul and Caroline. I hoped that Caroline was driving her car, as I couldn't imagine all four of them in Paul's VW bug.

"So, was your senior year exciting enough?" asked Laura.

"I'd say so. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have gone through it without you," I replied.

"I figure you would have managed. You're a survivor."

"Maybe, but it wouldn't have been as much fun without you."

"That's true!"

We sat there in silence for a while. I think we were both thinking about the upcoming separation.

"You know, it won't be that bad. We'll only be five hours apart by car," remarked Laura.

"I know. Still it won't be easy."

"No, it won't. That's for another day, we still have the rest of the summer to be together!"

"True, anything can happen. Who knows? Maybe you'll hate my new nose and want to break up with me!" I tried to add some humor to the situation.

"That's possible, I only love you for your nose!" quipped Laura.

We pulled into the parking lot and walked into the school. They had what looked like a carnival set up in the gym. The gym was decorated to look like a tropical playground. They even had fake palm trees! There was a DJ setting up in one corner. There was also a whole area set up outside with food booths and games.

"This must have cost a lot to set up," I stated.

"Part came from the senior class and the rest from the PTA and the local auto club. We also got donations from many local businesses," stated Laura.

We walked over to a table filled with all sorts of electronic goodies. There were stereos, CD players, digital cameras, and lots of other things.

"Are they really going to raffle all this stuff off?" I asked.

"Yep! Everyone who comes in gets one ticket. In addition to this stuff, they have a bunch of gift certificates for local businesses. I think we have almost 100 prizes."

"Impressive," I replied.

We walked around the gym and then outside to look at the various games and food stands. We found time to slip into the shadows for a quick kiss and cuddle!

"I know you'll be busy tomorrow between packing and the dinner with Ms. B, but I'd love to get alone with you for a while," confessed Laura.

"True, it will be your last shot at me with my present nose!" I answered with a laugh.

I won't bore you with everything that happened the rest of the night. The crowd was huge and many stayed until sunrise. I won a portable CD player! It would come in handy as I lay in bed for a couple of days following my nose job.

By the time we left, everyone was beat. Laura dropped us off at my house and we got our stuff out of her car. I kissed Laura goodbye and made her promise to call me when she got home. I went inside and after Laura called I went immediately to bed. I was surprised that I was able to fall asleep so easily!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty

I didn't sleep the whole day. I was up by one and after lunch I drove over to the school to drop off my cap and gown. The school seemed strangely silent. There were a few teachers there, cleaning out their rooms. I didn't hang around very long.

I packed up my suitcases for the trip to NYC. I only needed nice clothes for a few days and I ended up packing much less than I did for the trip with Mrs. Lincoln. By the time I was done, Mom was getting home.

I went downstairs and told her about the last night's parties. She was glad that I'd gone to the one at the school.

"Tony called today, and he said that he'd be by at 8:00 to pick us up," stated Mom.

"Cool! Tony is really cool!"

We talked until Sam came in. He said that Martin Turner had called him and apologized for his behavior the other night. "Apparently, he has no clue about how he ended up on the floor."

"Did you tell him that he was looking for a rock to crawl under?" asked Mom.

"Hey, you're lucky I don't have to prosecute you for assault," joked Sam, breaking out in laughter.

Mom and I joined him. I'm not a violent person, but I felt Martin Turner deserved far worse than falling on his face.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-One

I drove over to Ms B's home. She lived downtown in an old mill building that had been converted into condos. She lived on the third floor and had a great view of the town and the park.

I got there first and joined her in the kitchen. I helped her prepare a chicken stir-fry.

"I took a course on oriental cooking last summer. It was something I'd always wanted to do," explained Ms. B. "By the way, since you're no longer a student at Central, you can call me Nancy now, even Ms. B sounds too formal."

"That may take some getting used to. Thanks... Nancy."

She smiled at me. "I have a feeling that we'll become good friends over the years."

"I have one question to ask before the others arrive, when did you know that I was TS?" I asked.

Nancy looked at me. "I suspected the first day we met, but I wasn't sure until after the initial Jason incident. Is that what others have told you?"

"Pretty much the same. I guess I was the last to know again."

"There's nothing wrong with that. Self discovery takes time," remarked Nancy.

Just then Caroline and Denise arrived. Nancy greeted them and told them the same thing about calling her Nancy.

Dinner was a very informal affair. We sat around her living room eating and talking. Nancy's stir-fry was excellent, better than most Chinese restaurants.

"So, tell us about the true purpose of the scholarship program?" I asked.

"Jumping right to the big questions! As you've guessed, there is a deeper purpose than to just have some male students learn about the opposite gender."

We all nodded.

"The ultimate goal of the program was to teach tolerance and acceptance of diversity. As the contest progressed each year, the effects have spread out through the entire school and into the community. This year, due to some unforeseen circumstances, we reached out much further than we ever could have imagined," explained Nancy. "As horrible as the assault on you was, Erika, it did have a positive effect on the community. It showed the town that we could have diversity without anyone losing their values. Eventually, we want to spread the program to other towns."

"So everything that happened to me sort of sped up the process?" I asked.

"Yes, that's true. The scholarship committee had been very pleased with the progress we'd been making in the school. The contest had become mainstream, and the contestants were accepted by the rest of the student body and most of the town. We knew we were starting to make inroads into the community, but the whole trial and dealing with the Rev really moved up the timetable. I only wish that you, or any student, hadn't had to go through such horrible experiences."

"I'm glad some good came out of it," I replied.

"It's also obvious that you were prepared to help us as we came out as TS. Was that part of the program?" asked Caroline.

"The program wasn't designed to produce TS students, but we did realize that we'd attract students who might have gender issues. We made sure that services would be available. I know you're all seeing Jenny McCall now. The scholarship committee sought her out and helped her establish her practice here. We sought doctors who were open- minded towards gender issues. We also set up the loan program for SRS," explained Nancy.

"So, we're just a fringe benefit of the program?" asked Denise.

"I don't know if that's the right phrase, but helping people resolve identity issues is important. We didn't make you TS, but we provided you a safe environment to transition. Again, I want to apologize for the Jason incidents."

"You don't have to apologize," I stated.

"We'll be screening the contestants more in the future. Jason should never have been allowed to enter. We are also discovering the need for more counseling for all the contestants. We learned a lot this year from the length of the contest, and we saw many things we could improve on. One immediate change will be that there will be weekly meetings starting the first week of school. We'll also do a one-on-one with each contestant weekly."

"You said that the addition of an FTM scholarship was planned for years, but you were waiting for us to go a whole year, why?" asked Caroline.

"We wanted to see how the class as a whole responded first. Again, with the exception of Jason, the overall response of your class was exceptional," stated Nancy.

"Will your job change have an affect on the contest?" I asked.

Nancy smiled. "Somewhat. I'll be moving up to Assistant Principal next year, however I'll still be involved with the scholarship program. We already have a new counselor coming in as my replacement. She was hired because of her background and training, In fact, she was a student here ten years ago."

"Is she like us?" asked Denise.

Nancy smiled. "No, she isn't TS."

"Too bad," stated Caroline, softly.

"Well, I think there may be a TS faculty member a Central someday," announced Nancy.

Caroline and Denise immediately looked at me.

"Erika, you'll get the highest consideration for any opening upon the completion of your degree and earning your teaching credentials. That is also part of the scholarship program. We don't stop helping you after you graduate. We keep an eye on those special people who show great promise. That includes all of you," continued Nancy.

"You said earlier that the scholarship committee wanted to spread out to other towns. So how much money does this group have?" asked Caroline.

"A lot! The woman who set this up was extremely wealthy and very intelligent about finances. She set it up so that the fund grows every year. The three scholarships given this year don't even make a dent in the account. Additionally, other people have contributed to the fund. Our goal is to eventually spread out and set up similar scholarships in other communities. We've several towns in mind, and we should be able to get started in a year or so."

"Sounds like a big experiment," stated Denise

"In some ways that's correct. Our benefactor believed that society could change for the better. The scholarship program allows males and females to be more accepting and understanding of each other. This has a rippling effect across the community. We are far from done here in Golden Hill, but in less than twenty years we've made some great progress."

We stayed around and asked some more questions. I hung around until Caroline and Denise left, as I had a few more questions. There were some that were more private in nature that I wanted to talk about.

"Did you recommend me to Mrs. Lincoln," I asked as I helped her clean up.

"Not exactly, I did tell her about you when you were selected for the homecoming court. But it was strictly her decision to hire you," explained Nancy.

"I appreciate the good word you put in for me," I replied.

"She is really a good person and she was really hurt when my brother died. She was also very angry that he was driven to his death by ignorance. She became involved in the scholarship program as a way of helping to prevent any further tragedies," announced Nancy.

"Well, I really feel honored that she thinks so highly of me," I stated.

"I'm a bit jealous of you, Erika, as she wouldn't hire me to work in her store, and we're related!" joked Nancy.

We both started laughing.

"Look, Erika, I know you will have some more questions, so feel free

to call me. We can get together and talk."

"Thank you Nancy!"

It was good knowing some of the answers about the scholarship program. I felt better about the future, now that I knew more about the past.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Two

I drove over to Laura's house. She was happy to see me and we went over to Spencer's.

"So, did you get all your questions answered?" asked Laura as we plopped down on the couch.

I took a sip of my cappuccino. "A lot of them. Nancy was pretty cool."

"Nancy? Hmmmm, so you are on first name basis now?" asked Laura.

"Sure, she sees me as a responsible young adult now!" I replied, tongue firmly planted in cheek.

"She's a minority around here," quipped Laura, trying to hide her smirk.

I mouthed 'smartass' to her.

"Unfortunately my parents stayed in this evening. While they accept my status as an 'almost college freshman', they would still freak if they knew I was taking you upstairs to make out," Laura confessed.

"Oooh, I have to use that one, an 'almost college freshman'," I said with a laugh.

"So, are you ready for the operation?" asked Laura.

"I guess so. I just wish it was over. I'm so sick and tired being reminded of what Jason did to me."

Laura leaned over and kissed me. I trembled slightly as her lips touched mine. We kissed for what seemed like minutes.

"That is so cool that you still have that little vibe when we kiss," cooed Laura.

"I hope that I never lose it."

Due to the lack of a make out place that evening we sat and talked a while longer in Spencer's.

We decided to call it a night and I drove her home. We kissed one more time and I watched her walk in.

As I drove home, I thought about how much I loved her. I also thought about how at this time last year I was angry that we were moving to 'a nothing little town in the middle of nowhere' and now I was legally Erika Warren and I had a lesbian girlfriend. I almost wished I could go back to my old neighborhood and hang out with Laura, just to see if anyone recognized me.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Three

Tony arrived around 7:30, and Mom invited him in for coffee. He smiled and said that never happened with Mrs. Lincoln.

"So you getting your nose operated on? You sure you don't want me to pass on some of the pain to you-know-who?" asked Tony. He had a sly smile on his face.

I was taking a sip of tea and almost spit it back up, as I watched Mom and Sam's reaction to Tony's remarks.

"Tony, this is Sam Warren, my dad and the town's DA." I announced, holding back a smile.

"No kidding? That's great. Hey, we're just joking here," backtracked Tony, taking a quick sip of his coffee.

"That's okay, I've sometimes wished there could be 'additional punishment'," added Sam. He then smiled at me and shook his head.

Laura arrived a few minutes later, followed closely by Cat, Matt, and Terri.

Tony grabbed our bags and soon had the limo ready to go. I have to admit that I loved watching the neighbors slow down as they drove by our house and looked at the big stretch limo in our driveway.

Matt and Cat had a tearful goodbye. It was strange seeing her so emotional. Mom and Sam also kissed goodbye. He also gave me a long hug goodbye.

"Call when you get in," ordered Sam.

"We will. I love you," replied Mom, as she got in the limo.

With those goodbyes we were on the road.

I rehashed my dinner with Nancy. I did leave out some key points about the scholarship. They didn't need to know everything, and some things only ought to be known by the few TG/TS participants.

We had a long talk about what sights we should see. Tony said that we'd have a driver on call at all times, but he wanted to give us the fifty-cent tour.

"I thought I got that one already?" I asked with a laugh.

"No, you only got the ten cent tour," replied Tony.

We discussed with him which things we should see each day. He suggested that we if we wanted to go out to the Statue of Liberty then we should do that on Friday and avoid the weekend crowds. Mom and Terri got in a long conversation on things to see and to avoid.

I talked with Cat and Laura for a while. However, I was overcome by my lack of sleep and soon dozed off.

I don't know how long I slept, but when I woke up we were in New Jersey. Cat and Laura were getting more and more excited as we got closer to New York. I think I'd have been more excited except for the primary reason we were going there.

Our hotel was nice. We were in one of those suite hotels, and we had a little kitchen area. It wasn't a penthouse suite, but then again, Mom isn't Mrs. Lincoln! However, we did get a FOML (Friend of Mrs. Lincoln) discount. Apparently the same people who owned the really nice hotel that we'd stayed in last time also owned this one.

We still had a view of the city. We had three connected rooms, so it was like staying in a very strangely shaped apartment building! There were three bedrooms, each with double beds. Mom and Terri took the middle bedroom, Cat and Laura took one, and I had a room by myself. Although, it really didn't matter, as the only times we were separate were when we were asleep. Actually Cat and Laura were always with me, keeping an eye on me. I knew that Jenny had called Mom over the weekend and had a long talk with her. I had to admit that I didn't mind the added attention. I was a bit worried about the return of my posttraumatic stress.

The first night we went to a small family-run Italian restaurant owned by friends of Tony. Our driver that night was Tony's cousin Nick. He was a lot like Tony.

The owners of the restaurant treated us like we were old family friends. Apparently Tony called ahead and told them we were FOML.

I'm sure that most of this special treatment was because of my association with Mrs. Lincoln. Still part of me thought that it might also have something to do with Tony liking me personally.

The dinner was wonderful, make that fantastic! I had the best Chicken Parmesan in my short life. The owners joined us for coffee and dessert. I mean nothing against Spencer's, but the cappuccino that night was ten times better. Maybe it was just the sense of excitement of being in NYC with family and friends! I really had a good time and it did a lot to take my mind off my worries.

I also enjoyed driving around in a limo. True, in NYC a limo doesn't attract as much attention as it would in Golden Hill, but it was still pretty cool.

Everyone went to bed early, a combination of being tired from the trip and the huge meal. I repeated my act of my last trip to the city. I made a cup of tea and sat looking out the window. Granted it wasn't as good a view but it was still pretty cool. I finally went to sleep. I'm pleased to say that I didn't have a single nightmare.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Four

Friday was our big "act like a tourist" day. We were also going to the Broadway show that evening, and then a late dinner. Saturday we were going shopping and Sunday was up in the air until Tony suggested that we go to Yankee Stadium. He said he could get us great seats. To my total surprise everyone thought that was a great idea!

I won't bore you with all the details, but Tony's fifty-cent tour was well worth every cent! We did go out to Statue of Liberty. He also drove us past other sites. Yes, we went to the top of the Empire State Building, I said we were in tourist mode! We also went by Rockefeller Plaza and the UN building. I was glad I'd brought my camera again.

The really funny thing was that Tony was really taking a liking to Terri. We all got a kick out of that, including Terri! She said that there was nothing wrong with a little flirting.

Tony had us back at the hotel in plenty of time to get ready for the show. He told us that Nick would be our driver again that evening, and that we had reservations at the restaurant near the theater courtesy of Mrs. Lincoln. I guess she was determined to make my trip as pleasant as possible.

It was fun getting dressed up for the show. I wore my little black dress and my new diamond earrings. I loved this! That's another huge change in my persona. I hated dressing up as a boy. I hated ties and jackets. At least a woman can get dressed up and still be fairly comfortable, except for the shoes. I have become convinced that a woman invented the necktie in revenge for a man creating high heels! I feel that I could be considered an expert on this issue.

The show was excellent. I could get addicted to seeing Broadway shows! Nick drove us the short three-block drive to the restaurant. As before there was a long line to get in and the VIPs got to walk right by. It was fun walking by the people in line. We could hear them asking who we were.

It was pretty cool inside as well. There were many celebrities and we were all a bit star struck. I was so happy to be sharing this with Mom and my best friends. It was hard to eat, as there was so much going on around us. Because we were seated immediately, everyone obviously thought we were 'somebodies.' People walked by our table and nodded and acknowledged us, just in case we were important.

But the biggest thrill that night was when the actor, friend of Mrs. Lincoln recognized me; it was either that, or Mrs. Lincoln had tipped him off and he came over as a favor to her. Either way I don't care!

He even remembered my name and I introduced him to Mom, Terri, Cat, and Laura. He talked to us for a few minutes and then left. Even Cat was impressed! It was another great day.

Back at the hotel I joined Cat and Laura to watch some late night TV. We were all in our pjs by then.

"I still can't believe that he came over to our table and said hello to you!" exclaimed Laura.

"If I hadn't been there, I'd never have believed it," added Cat.

"I was there and even I'm not sure it happened!" I added. "I'm so happy you two are here with me."

"We don't mind being on the Erika surgery tour of America. Just make sure you pick somewhere fun for your SRS!" replied Cat.

"Well, at least this time you won't be sleeping in a waiting room," I added.

There was a long silence.

"I can't tell you how much you being there meant to me." I could feel my emotions pick up a notch.

"We know," replied Laura.

"Still, I like telling you..." I could feel my eyes watering up. "I was so scared," I added softly, with that I started to cry.

Cat and Laura hugged me. "If it makes you feel better, we were all pretty scared too," added Cat.

I felt better after my soft cry. It was nice being able to show emotion and not worry about what others may think. I think that's one of the biggest drawbacks of being male.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Five

Saturday was a shopping day. This was another change in my persona. I actually enjoyed going shopping now. It was also fun going shopping as a group. We didn't buy much, but we had a great time. We did stop at Undercover Elegance. Mom wanted to get something special for her wedding night. Bridget was very nice and helped Mom pick out a luxurious silk nightie and a matching peignoir.

Sunday, we went to the Yankees game. We invited Tony to join us and he gladly accepted the invitation. Tony got us great seats. Terri sat next to him. They were really becoming friendly. It was wonderful sitting outside on a nice afternoon.

I bought a program and scored the game as we watched. I enjoyed keeping track of the plays, and it made a nice history of the game. My scoring the game caught the attention of some of the guys sitting around us.

"You know, you're first girl I've even seen who could score a game!" interrupted a large man behind us.

"I enjoy doing it. Besides it isn't very hard," I replied.

"Tell that to my son!" joked the man with a laugh. "So, who taught you to score a game, your dad?"

"Nope! My mom taught me!" I replied with a big smile. While Mom wasn't a big football fan, she did love baseball and we had gone to a lot of games back in San Diego.

"I'll be dammed!" he exclaimed and then he started to laugh.

The game was very exciting and the Yankees won 6-5 with a 9th inning rally. I'm not a Yankees fan, but it would be suicidal to cheer against them in Yankee Stadium!

Tony drove us back to the hotel and said that he'd be there at 5:00 AM to take me to the hospital. I ate an early dinner, as I had to stop eating by 7:00 PM. I told the others that they could go out, but they elected to stay at the hotel with me.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Six

Monday morning came quickly. I got up and showered and put on comfortable clothes. There was no need for makeup. I packed my small bag. All I needed was panties, bra, pjs, toiletries, reading material, my CDs and player. I also packed up the rest of my stuff and moved it into Mom and Terri's room. There was no need to be paying for an empty room!

We arrived at the hospital and checked in. I changed and waited for Dr. Ayres. Of course, there were numerous forms to sign and the nurse took my vitals several times. Dr. Ayres showed up and examined my nose again. He said that the surgery would take a couple of hours. He gave me a choice of a local or being out. I picked being out!

"How long will I be here?" I asked.

"I'd like you to stay at least one day, maybe two. I'll know more after the surgery," explained Dr. Ayres. "I doubt you'll be wanting to go anywhere."

He was right. When I came to after the surgery, my whole face hurt. The pain radiated out from my nose. I was lying down with my head elevated.

As I regained focus, I could see Dr. Ayres examining me.

"Everything went really well," he announced.

"How long was I out?" I asked. I felt slightly nauseous.

"The surgery lasted just under three hours," he replied.

"How bad do I look?" I asked.

He handed me a mirror. "The swelling and bruising will improve in a week to ten days," he informed me. "But, just so you'll know, like before, the bruising will get worse before it starts to improve."

I looked at myself in the mirror and to be honest I have looked worse! I thought about the range of colors on my face the last time. At least I'd save money on makeup the next few weeks.

"It hurts worse than when he broke it initially," I stated.

"That's true. He only hit you a couple of times. I had to do more to reshape it. We'll be giving you a prescription to ease the pain. Trust me, it will start to feel better soon."

The nurse brought Mom in and he explained the precautions and things to look out for. The nurse gave me some pain pills and I drifted out.

Later that evening, I woke up and saw Mom sitting in my room reading.

"What time is it?" I asked.

Mom looked up and smiled. She looked at her watch. "It's almost 7:00 PM and, yes it's still Monday."

I tried to manage a smile. "Thanks for being here. I know I'm not much to look at."

"I've seen you look worse." She got up and walked over to me and took my hand.

"I think I'll stop at just one of these, unlike that singer," I quipped, with a slight smile.

Mom smiled.

"So where's everyone else?" I asked.

"Terri took them to dinner. They should be here soon," answered Mom.

"Have you eaten?" I asked.

"They're bringing me something. Are you hungry?" asked Mom

"Not really, but I am thirsty."

The nurse brought in some water in a sports bottle with a straw. My stomach was still a bit unsettled, so eating wasn't a priority.

"Did you call Dad yet?" I asked.

"Yes but he said to call back if you felt like talking." I noticed Mom smiled when I called Sam, Dad!

We didn't talk long. He was happy that I'd come through the surgery without problems. I was happy just to talk to him.

Just then Cat, Laura, and Terri came in. We talked for a few minutes and then I drifted out again.

I wound up staying in the hospital for two days. By Tuesday afternoon Dr. Ayres was satisfied and said I could go home the next day. I looked worse, but had much less pain. It was centralized in my refurbished nose.

"You'll need to have the sutures removed next week. I've contacted a colleague near your town, and he'll do that," he informed me. He handed the information to Mom. "I'd like to see you again in a couple of months."

We decided to leave in the morning. I spent Tuesday night in the hospital. It was just easier than going back to the hotel. In addition to my friends and family, Tony came up to see how I was doing. He asked me if I wanted anything.

"Well, I did promise a cheesecake for my co-workers at Mrs. Lincoln's store, is there any way we could take one back?" I asked.

He smiled. "Leave it to me, kid. See ya in the morning."

I slowly regained my appetite. Eating was bit difficult, as chewing caused some pain in my nose. Dr. Ayres also advised me not to eat anything spicy, as he didn't want me to irritate my nose or to have to blow it. There was a good deli nearby and Mom brought me up some chicken noodle soup and a container of a really delicious rice pudding.

I insisted that they go out for a good dinner. After all, they'd spent most of the day in my room with me. I read a while before drifting off to sleep.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Seven

I had my first nightmare since the surgery that night. I was back in the Golden Hill ER, being examined by the police. The main difference from reality was that my injuries were much worse in the dream. My whole face was battered and bloody. I woke up disoriented, and it took me a few seconds to remember where I was.

I looked around and reached for the water bottle. It was empty, so I decided to be a wimp and pressed the call button.

The nurse was very nice. I asked her what time it was, and she said it was almost 4:00AM

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

"I just had a nightmare. I'm better now," I replied.

"You want to talk about it?" she asked. She pulled up a chair and sat down next to my bed.

I nodded and told her about my nightmare, and how it was related to my present hospital stay.

"How old are you, Erika?" she asked.

"I'll be eighteen next month." Hey, if I was an almost college freshman, then I could be almost eighteen too!

She just shook her head. "I'm so sorry that you had to experience something like that. I hope they caught him."

"Yes, and he's in prison now. There was some good that came out of it too; my Mom ended up getting engaged to our town's DA."

"You ought to write this up as a movie."

We both laughed at that.

We talked for a few more minutes. She was very nice, and I felt very relaxed talking to her. I drifted back to sleep. When I woke up, it was morning and she was off shift. I never had a chance to thank her. I did get her name so I could write her.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Eight

The ride home seemed very long. I slept most of the way home. Yes, I told Mom about the nightmare and the help from the nurse.

We got home by mid-afternoon. I thanked Tony and he gently gave me a big hug.

"So who gets the cheesecakes?" he asked. He pulled two boxes with cheesecakes in them out of the mini-fridge in the limo.

I smiled as he handed the two cakes to Mom. "Thank you so much," I said.

"This is the best in the city," he replied. "And before you ask, they are on the house."

"Thanks again."

Cat said she'd run one over to the Mall.

Tony got our bags out of the trunk and I went inside. I'd only been gone a few days, but I really missed being home. I immediately went up to bed.

To my surprise Sam had picked up one of those large pillows that allows you to sit up in bed. It was sitting on my bed and I immediately put it to good use. The pills did a good job of killing the pain, but they made me so sleepy.

I came down later. Sam got up and gave me nice gentle hug. It was dinnertime, and I managed to eat some solid food. The pain was slowly decreasing, as the bruises seemed to get worse. I now sported a nice pair of raccoon eyes.

The next few weeks were dedicated to healing and recovery. With the surgery behind me, the next big event was the wedding, followed closely by the trip to the shore. Then our close circle of friends would be spread out. I tried not to think about that. I wanted to savor the next few months and not think of the separations from so many wonderful friends.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Forty-Nine

I'm taking the liberty of jumping ahead to the wedding. However I'll provide a summary of what went on in the weeks between my operation and Mom and Sam's nuptials.

My recovery went really well. There were no complications and my overhauled nose looked pretty good. It wasn't THAT different from my pre-attack nose. Maybe it was a bit smaller than before. Laura said it was cuter! However, what was important was that it looked great and was no longer bent, and my sense of smell was still great. It was no longer a reminder of Jason's brutality. Dr. Ayres had done a wonderful job. He'd said that he'd reexamine the scar above my eye when I saw him for my nose checkup.

Alex and Mike stopped off to see me before they took off to college. They promised to be back for the wedding. Alex was a bit disappointed that he wouldn't be able to attend his family's annual Fourth of July party. He promised that he'd make up for this in the future. It was a fun party, even though I just sat and watched the volleyball games.

In addition to Mike and Alex I had a steady flow of visitors after I got back from NYC. I sort of set up camp on our deck, and all my friends dropped by whenever they had a chance. We played board games, listened to music, talked, and worked on our tans. Mom found me a straw hat with a huge, floppy brim that kept the sun off my nose. I had about as much fun as possible in my recovery.

Laura and I continued our relationship. Maybe it would have been better if we'd have drifted apart, but instead the opposite occurred. We were even deeper in love! Separation would be awful, and I tried not to think about it.

I had a wonderful birthday. It was subdued because of I was still recovering from my surgery. Mom and Sam gave me a pair of diamond stud earrings. I treasure them to this very day.

My transition was also progressing nicely. My first checkup with my endocrinologist was great. He was very pleased with my progress. I was moving past an A-cup and fully expected to be in a B-cup soon. I also followed a suggestion and began to have some sperm samples frozen. The suggestion came from someone at Spencer's who said that if I stayed in a lesbian relationship I'd have the opportunity to "father" a child down the line. The idea intrigued me, and I decided to try it. I was still "potent" enough to start this procedure.

Cat went down to Philly for a few weeks. She was checking out her college and she spent some time with Matt. They were becoming quite the couple. Cat told me that they were both playing it smart, so there was no need to worry.

Terri and Mom were in full planning mode for the wedding. I was amazed at how quickly Terri put it all together. She had managed to get the tents, caterer, DJ, and everything else on very short notice. Mom picked out her dress at Mrs. Lincoln's store, along with the bridesmaids' dresses. I was impressed with the outfits she selected. They actually looked like something you'd want to wear for more than just one occasion!

I also started working at the store again in early July. I was putting in full 40-hour weeks and loving it. I'd wanted to go back earlier, but everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, insisted that I stay home and recover a bit longer. Mom, Sam, Terri, Jenny, Laura, Nancy, and Cat all voted against my early return to work. Needless to say, with that sort of lopsided voting Mrs. Lincoln wouldn't consider letting near the place.

Anyway, when I returned to work it felt great. I still had to be careful. Dr. Ayres had told me that complete healing would take almost a year. But then again, how badly can you hurt your nose in a clothing store?

Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifty

The week of the wedding was wild. Sam's family was coming up from Philly and he'd reserved a whole wing at the best local motel. Only one relative from our side of the family answered the invitation. She was a cousin who said that they'd love to come, but couldn't make it all the way from San Diego. The rest of the family ignored the invitations. That was fine with me. I was just as glad that they weren't coming, so that they couldn't ruin the day.

My REAL family was going to be at the wedding. Terri, Cat, Laura, Nancy, and all of our friends in Golden Hill more than made up for the narrow-minded people Mom and I were actually related to!

The actual wedding would take place in the city park overlooking the river. Even though Mom and Sam weren't overly religious they were going to use a minister for the service. They got the one who'd spoken at the rally back in May. He was honored to do the service.

I was looking forward to meeting Sam's family. They were due to arrive starting the Wednesday before the wedding. They all knew my status. I didn't mind, as most secrets never last anyway. At this point in my life, I saw myself as female anyway not a boy dressing as a girl. I had an identity as Erika, and a body that was beginning to match my mind.

On the Tuesday before the wedding, Laura and I were at Spencer's. We were by now well known and accepted by the regulars. Some knew I was TS, but most just saw us as a young lesbian couple.

In some ways it was funny, in that I got more looks for being seen as a lesbian than from those who might have suspected that I was TS. Laura told me that I was crazy on the latter, as I looked so feminine. We had been going to the pool most of the summer and we never once had a single problem. I think that until I had my SRS I was worried about being made. There was always the fear in the back of my head that someone would detect my secret and expose me.

"So how many 'deposits' have you made?" asked Laura.

I smiled. "Several, so far." Okay, I was deliberately vague.

"You know if we stay together, it'd be so cool to have a child that's both of ours genetically."

"That's true, but let's not look too far ahead."

"Trust me, we were meant to be. But I'm in no rush to have a baby!"

"So, if we ever break up it is just temporary?"

"Absolutely. I have a very strong feeling that we will be together."

"You know. I actually believe you," I replied

We then kissed.

"My parents are out this evening; you want to go back to my house?" asked Laura.

I just nodded yes. Laura stood up and helped me up, and we walked out to my car.

Back at Laura's house, we went up to her room. She led me to the bed and we sat down and began to kiss. We started slowly and tenderly. The wonderful thing about our relationship was that it was very sharing and mutual. It wasn't a competition.

We still stayed above the waist, but that wasn't so bad. Laura really knew how to get me going by playing with my nipples. I experienced feelings that were very erotic. My new loose emotions took me to new sexual highs. Laura was amazed by the reactions she got from me as she worked my nipples. Between her fingertips, lips, and tongue, she had me squirming all over her bed. She really enjoyed getting that reaction!

Laura also knew how to bring me back down, and we ended in each other's arms. It's very difficult to put down in mere words the sensations that she took me through. I think that because we cared so much for each other, the sexual side was even more intense.

"How was that?" asked Laura. She was lying next to me, her head propped up by her hand.

"Wow!" was all I could say. I was breathing hard and was awash in emotions.

"I can't wait until you've had your SRS. I look forward to teaching you about that area of your body."

"I know. By the way, we finished filling out the application for the operation. We should get a response in the next few weeks."

"That's so cool," replied Laura. She leaned over and kissed me again.

As we got dressed Laura mentioned that she had something to show me. On her computer she had combined the photos of my growing chest and run them through a morphing program. I watched as my breasts grew out of my initially flat chest; it was pretty cool.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifty-One

The first of our future family arrived Wednesday afternoon. Sam's parents and his sister Carla and her husband arrived in Golden Hill. Sam didn't look very disappointed that Carla had left her kids back in Philly. Sam's brother Brett was delayed at work and would be arriving Thursday. Sam had selected him to be his best man.

Mom and Sam invited the first arrivals over for a barbecue at our house. For the first time since I had known him, Sam actually looked nervous!

"Relax, Sam," stated Mom. "Everything is fine; we even have your father's favorite beer in the fridge!" She then gave him a kiss.

"I think they're here!" I announced. A large green SUV pulled into the driveway.

Sam, Mom, and I walked outside to greet them. I suddenly felt very nervous!

They greeted me as if they'd known me my whole life! Sam's father gave me a big bear hug and Sam's mom kissed me. Carla was also very happy to meet me, although her husband, Dave, looked a little apprehensive.

We took them out to the deck. It was nice and shady in the afternoon. Sam and Mom got drinks for everyone. The initial conversation concerned their trip up from Philly. It then shifted to the wedding.

Sam turned on the barbecue and his father and Dave stayed out to help him. The 'girls' went inside to get everything else ready.

Carla was very cool, and I felt very close to her almost immediately. Sam's mom insisted that I call her 'Grandma'. That really got to me emotionally.

Mom had previously told them about the issues in our family. They agreed that it was their loss and not ours!

Mom gave Grandma Warren a tour of the house, giving Carla and I some time alone, staying in the kitchen to keep an eye on the rest of the meal.

Carla told me that I looked great and that she was glad that the surgery had gone so well.

"I'm just glad that it's over. Although it's minor compared to my next operation." I stated.

"I have to tell you that, if I didn't know the truth about your birth gender, I'd never have guessed after meeting you today," complimented Carla. "You really are a lovely young lady." She smiled at me.

"Thanks, Carla." I noticed that she had a similar smile to her brother.

"Don't worry about Dave. He'll warm up to you. You're the first TS he's ever met, so I'm afraid he's dealing with trash TV propaganda," announced Carla.

"So, do you know any other transgendered women?" I asked.

"I've met a few through work, on both sides of the law," she replied.

"Oh! That's right. I forgot you were in DA's office in Philly."

"I also followed your case rather closely. Sam was very proud about the way you handled yourself during the trial. I was also impressed!"

"Did he tell you about my problems after the trial?" I asked.

"Yes, he did. Don't be ashamed of what happened. Your reactions were only human."

The more we talked, the more I liked her.

"Thanks. I still can't believe it happened. I'm also getting sick and tired of the nightmares," I said softly.

"It takes time to recover, Erika. I still get nightmares sometimes."

I looked over at her, and she was smiling gently at me.

"I didn't know. I'm sorry," I apologized.

"It happened a long time ago. It was right after I became a lawyer, and he was a coworker. We went out on a date and he took it too far," explained Carla.

"That explains Sam's special interest in sexual assault cases."

Sam was still a detective at the time. He made the decision to become a lawyer during my trial, getting angry at the way the defense lawyer treated me. He decided that he wanted to do more to protect the victims while putting the guilty away for a long time. I also think that he wanted to make the defense attorney pay for the way he treated me."

"Who was the lawyer who cross-examined you?" I asked.

"Martin Turner," replied Carla, she had the Warren smile on her face.

"Wow. It really is a small world!"

"How true! If Martin hadn't been so brutal to me on the stand, we might not be talking today!"

I went on to tell her about what Mom had done to Martin Turner in the restaurant. We both were laughing hysterically when Mom and Grandma Warren returned

"Jill, my opinion of you just went through the roof!" said Carla, who was slowly regaining her composure.

Mom looked confused until I told her what we were talking about. Grandma Warren also seemed very pleased with Mom's actions.

"I knew Sam would marry a strong woman!" stated Grandma Warren. "Too bad the SOB wasn't hurt when you tripped him!" This brought on a new round of laughter.

Dinner went really well. Sam's father insisted that I sit next to him and also insisted that I call him Grandpa. I was so excited about the way they accepted me.

By the end of the evening even Dave had warmed up to me.

After dinner Carla told me all sorts of stories about Sam. Sam came into the kitchen and overheard her telling me a story about one of his wild adventures.

"I must warn you, Erika, that your Aunt Carla is a pathological liar," commented Sam. He smiled at us as he got a cup of coffee.

"You mean that you didn't really streak at your high school homecoming dance?" I asked innocently.

Sam just shook his head and smiled, "Wait until later, Erika, and I'll tell you some stories of Carla's sordid past!" laughed Sam.

Carla then threw a dishrag at Sam, hitting him in the back of the head. He then chased her out of the kitchen and outside. Grandpa Warren just smiled and said it was nice to see some things never change.

After they left, I told Sam and Mom what Carla had told me.

"You're even more my hero now than before!" I announced.

"Mine too!" concurred Mom, kidding him.

For once he was speechless.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifty-Two

The rest of the Warren clan arrived on Thursday. Sam's younger brother Brett showed up along with several other relatives. To be honest, I had a hard time keeping track of them. I did notice that they all thought very highly of Sam, that they were very happy he was marrying Mom, and that they all seemed to accept me.

Brett was pretty cool. It was really fun watching Sam, Carla, and Brett insult and goof on each other. Brett also took an instant liking to Terri. She also seemed interested in him. Cat joked that if things worked out she and I could end up being related!

The next few days were very hectic. Thankfully, Terri was there to organize everything.

Mom wanted Carla to be in the wedding party, so Carla and I went over to Mrs. Lincoln's store to get her dress tailored. I also enjoyed introducing her to Cindy, Mel and of course Mrs. Lincoln.

Mrs. Lincoln told us that the dress would be ready in an hour. Having some time to kill, we went to lunch together. We went to the diner downtown near the courthouse.

"I can't get over how well everyone in your family has accepted me," I stated.

"What amazes me is that your own family won't even acknowledge you," replied Carla. "Sam spoke highly of you, even before he was dating your mom. When he told us that they were dating, and then engaged, we figured that if you're being transgendered didn't matter to him, then why should any of us object?"

"Thanks."

"However, Sam's admiration for you just bought you the initial introduction to the family. After that it was up to you, and the way you've handled yourself really won us all over. Yes, we know you're transgendered, however it's not your total identity with us. You made real points with my parents by considering them your grandparents."

I was speechless. It was so nice to know that people were willing to give you a chance.

After lunch we picked up the dress and headed back to my house. Terri was directing what could best be called 'organized confusion'. The caterers were there and they were setting up the tents in the backyard.

The rest of the day involved the usual pre-wedding chaos. We had a short practice and then dinner.

Later that evening Mom, Carla, Terri, and I were sitting in the kitchen talking. Carla joined us in drinking tea. Sam didn't approve of her drinking tea and said that it only proved that she was really adopted!

Mom was a nervous wreck, and we were doing our best to calm her down. I found it slightly ironic that our usual roles were reversed. I was so used to her calming me down!

Mom wouldn't say it, but I knew she was upset that no one from our side of the family had accepted the invitation to the wedding. We both knew that it wasn't just a distance issue, rather their absence was due to their own ignorance. Personally, I'd written them off long ago, but Mom still had feelings for some of them. I felt a bit helpless, as there was nothing I could do about it.

To be totally honest, I couldn't understand their hostility to Mom. Yes, she had made mistakes when she was younger, but she had more than made up for them. She had become a successful businesswoman. She'd raised me as a single mother and I'd turned out pretty well. I don't believe that the way I was raised had anything to do with my being TS. The more I studied it, the more I felt it was a biological cause. If they weren't willing to open their eyes and see what a wonderful person Mom was, then they could all go to hell.

I said goodnight and let Carla and Terri work on her. I knew they'd calm her down.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifty-Three

Saturday was a lovely day. The weather was perfect; sunny, warm, and not humid. The wedding was due to take place around noon. Mom and Sam had planned the ceremony to be short. Neither wanted a long drawn out ritual. I think we were all pleased that they'd made that decision.

I was really happy with the way I looked in my dress. It was light yellow, simple but elegant. I liked that it was cut a bit low and thus showed off my boobs a little. They did get help from the pads, but I still thought I looked pretty good! I wore the white lingerie that Mrs. Lincoln bought me.

Mom looked radiant. She'd calmed down somewhat, and now was just slightly nervous. I felt so good for her. She truly deserved all the happiness she could have from this moment.

The wedding itself went off without a hitch. Sam and Mom looked great. Once Mom saw so many of our friends there, I think she forgot about our lack of relatives there. As planned, the wedding ceremony was elegant in its simplicity. The minister gave a short sermon and then there was a simple exchange of vows. Then we officially became a family.

The reception was also a great time. The guest list was huge, and I think everyone who showed up had a great time. The mayor of the town even showed up!

Most of my friends were there with their families. Laura joked that she'd like a ceremony like that when we got married. Cat and Matt were there and I know Matt enjoyed meeting so many members of the law enforcement community. Caroline and Paul also showed up.

Kristen and Alex showed up with Mike and Tracey. The guys looked really good. They'd been working out all summer and it showed. I swear that Mike was two inches taller!

Jenny and Coach Chambers showed up as a couple. Coach insisted that I call her Lori now. There is always something weird about calling your ex-teachers and coaches by their first names. It takes a long time to get used to it!

Of course Nancy came. She even had a date. He was a doctor over at the hospital. They made a nice couple! I still had questions for her, but I knew that this wasn't the time or place.

Mrs. Lincoln looked so elegant! It was like having royalty at the reception. Grandpa Warren actually recognized her from her movies and the theater! They had a very lively conversation. It was the least formal that I'd ever seen Mrs. Lincoln.

Cindy and her husband and Cliff and Mel also came. Mel said that she liked the ceremony, but that her wedding would be more formal. Cliff cringed at hearing that! She told me that they'd set a date and it would be next June. Then she totally surprised me by asking me to be in the wedding party! Of course, I said yes. I mean, how many bridesmaids can say that they've punched the groom in the nose?

Brett and Terri were becoming very friendly. They danced all afternoon and into the evening.

Cat and I thought they made a great couple! Cat was pleased that her mom was becoming interested in romance again.

"The trip to New York was the trick. She said that Tony's interest in her was a wakeup call, and that she could still feel romantic," Cat remarked. There was a huge smile on her face. "I'm so happy for her!"

I also danced a lot that day. Thanks to my friends my skill was much improved. At least, I no longer made a fool out of myself. Laura didn't mind me dancing with other people, as long as I saved the slow ones for her! In addition to my friends from school, I danced with several adults. Tom Bell was one of my favorite ones, as was Grandpa Warren. Brett also danced with me, but the very best was with Dad!

Mom and Sam looked so happy. After all, Mom had been through, it was great that she finally had a man who really loved her. There was a slight change in plans due to their work schedules. They weren't going on their honeymoon until the fall. They'd decided to take a week off in October and drive through New England. They'd already picked out the bed & breakfasts they were going to stay at.

The reception ran late into the night. Since Sam and Mom had invited the neighbors, and also because half the police department was there as guests, there were no complaints about the noise!

As the party died down I had a chance to talk with Grandma Warren. Laura and I sat down next to her during one of our breaks from dancing.

"Well, it was certainly a lovely wedding. We were starting to worry that Sam never would settle down," stated Grandma Warren.

"Why is that?" I asked.

"He was always so much into his work. He never seemed to have the time to date."

"I'm glad he found the time!"

So am I, dear. I'm so happy that you are part of our family," she announced. "I'd love to have you to come down for a visit sometime. We'd love to show you around the city."

"That sounds great." I paused for a second. "I want to thank you for so readily accepting me into your family."

"Oh, Erika, it's our pleasure. Besides, I like the idea of having a granddaughter that I can go shopping with!" she answered with a laugh.

We then hugged. So, this was what it was like to have a family that actually cared about you! I felt a bit emotional thinking about not having had this for most of my life.

The last of the guests left around one. Sam told the caterers that they could come back to clean up in the morning, if they wanted to. They gladly accepted.

I slept over at Cat's that night, so Mom and Sam could have the house to themselves. We did agree to meet for brunch late. It was a wonderful day!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifty-Four

Brunch was also our farewell meal, as Sam's family was leaving afterward for the trek back to Philly. Even though I'd just met them, I'd miss them. They insisted that we come down for Thanksgiving and, much to my delight, Mom and Sam accepted!

Carla and Brett told me all sorts of stories about Sam. He returned the favor and told a few whoppers about them.

Mom was still glowing from the wedding. She kept looking at her ring with a huge smile on her face.

Cat, Laura, and I also talked about our trip to the Jersey shore. We were leaving on Wednesday and would be staying until the next week. We had to move the trip due to scheduling conflicts with Matt's parents over the house.

"You know, this Wednesday is an important date for you Erika," announced Cat.

I thought about it for a moment. "I give up, what is it?" I asked.

"It's your first anniversary as Erika."

She was right! I felt like a fool for forgetting. It had been a year ago that I'd first heard of the scholarship competition and my entire life had changed.

It had been a change for the better.

After brunch, we said goodbye to the Warren clan. I'd miss them. But it was so cool to suddenly have a family, especially one that actually loved and accepted me!

Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifty-Five

The trip to the shore was really great! Matt wasn't exaggerating about the house it was lovely. We were within walking distance of the beach. While it wasn't the Pacific, it was still pretty cool.

Laura and I went for long walks along the beach almost every day. I particularly loved the evening walks. We did catch some looks, as we made no effort to hide our love for each other. But the worst thing that happened was that some guy called us a couple of "fuckin' dykes". Laura wanted to go correct him and tell him that we hadn't gone that far yet. I joked that we could point out that I was still technically a guy. Laura made a big yuk face.

"You may have a penis, but you are NOT a guy. I don't date guys!" she whispered to me and then we kissed.

As usual she was right. I was no longer a guy. I was very happy being a girl. I wasn't exactly looking forward to the surgery. Oh, I wanted to get it, and I wanted my body to match my mind, but I was really sick of hospitals!

We also spent time with all the others. I really enjoyed the company of my friends. It saddened me a bit to think that we'd soon be scattered all over the state.

Laura and I did manage one afternoon alone in the house. We'd just been to the beach and came in to shower and change. Without saying a word, Laura took me by the hand and led me into the shower.

As the water came down on us, she slowly removed the top of my bikini. My breasts were now just about a B-cup. She began to kiss me and caress my breasts. I returned the favor. I practiced what she'd taught me and gently kissed and licked her nipples.

She then stripped off the bottom of her suit and did the same for me. We got out of the shower and dried off, and she led me to her bed. There on the bed, she gave me my first lesson in pleasing a woman below the waist.

"Now, I know yours will be a little different, but this is what it will look like," she stated.

She guided my hand down and showed me the pleasure areas. I was amazed and fascinated by everything she showed me. She explained how there were different areas that could be stimulated. I couldn't wait until I got my own! Yes, I knew that it would be different but it would still be better than my maleness.

I did as she told me and gently rubbed the areas she pointed out. Judging by her reaction I was doing a pretty good job. Once I got the hang of it, we began to kiss as I continued to touch her. It was funny that I had to change my gender to get this close to a girl!

When we finished, we cuddled and hugged each other.

"For your first time, that wasn't bad," announced Laura.

"Thank you. I have a great teacher!"

We both giggled.

"You know, after your operation I'll show you some great techniques to pleasure yourself."

I laughed. "It's funny, but boys masturbate all the time and they never think about girls doing it."

"That's stupid. Girls do it all the time too!" announced Laura. She leaned over and kissed me.

We finally got up and got dressed and went for a walk. We headed down to the beach. I loved watching the little sanderlings run back and forth in front of the waves. They were the cutest little birds.

"So, when are you leaving for school?" I asked.

"Labor Day weekend. My dad is renting a trailer to take my stuff down to my dorm room. Thankfully, I only have to stay in the dorms the first year. Are you staying at home?"

"Yes, even though the scholarship would pay for my dorm, I'd rather live at home. At least until after I have the operation."

"I just want to remind you that I want to go with you when you have it done."

"I know. I'm really going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too," said Laura.

We walked awhile without saying anything. We just held hands as we walked along the beach. I thought about how hard the separation, would be and it took all my willpower to keep from crying.

Thankfully, we cheered up by the time we got back to the house. There was no sense in dragging everyone else down in our misery. I thought we gave excellent performances that evening. On the outside we were perfectly happy while on the inside we were crying.

Chapter Two-Hundred-Fifty-Six

So that's the story of my first year as Erika. By the end of the Labor Day weekend, we were spread out all over the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The last thing I want to talk about is one of my dinners with Nancy Bell. It was just the two of us and I had some things to ask her about the scholarship.

"Okay, I understand the purpose of the contest, and I can see how it has changed Central High and Golden Hill for the better, but why did she set this up in the first place?" I asked.

"I asked my aunt that once. She told me that the woman who set this up was always interested in promoting equality and understanding. But the event that really made up her mind was a tragedy involving a mutual friend of theirs," replied Nancy.

"What happened?" I asked.

"You know that my aunt was in the theater in New York City. Well she initially met the woman who set this all up at a social event. Aunt Sylvia said she was a major contributor to the arts. They hit it off immediately and soon were great friends. They had a wide range of friends, including many in the LGBT community. A transgendered friend of theirs was beaten up pretty badly by a couple of neighborhood thugs. The person lay there for several hours until someone finally called the police. Apparently people walked by and refused to help. The police weren't much better; they mocked the victim and were slow in calling for an ambulance. Aunt Silva knew this because the person told her this before she died from her injuries. To top it all off, the police never even attempted to make an arrest. Their comment was that 'he had it coming by dressing up like a woman'."

I sat there in silence.

"So she decided that she'd do something to change people's ideas about the transgendered. She decided that she could sneak it into a scholarship program that was designed to promote gender understanding."

"So why Golden Hill?" I asked.

"It was the right size, it had a Liberal Arts college, and she also lived here. Her husband had been the president of Dewey. Her social status, combined with the influence of Aunt Sylvia, allowed the program to get started. The committee that was formed to oversee it was filled with likeminded people."

"So, the real goal was to change everyone else?" I asked.

"You've got it! So far we've made some good progress. You remember how I told you that we're considering expanding the program to other towns? Well, we have several towns that have contacted US and they want to do something similar," announced Nancy.

I sat there for a while thinking about what she'd just told me. "I want to help!"

"I was hoping you'd say that," smiled Nancy.

Epilog

It's hard to believe that those events happened ten years ago. I guess that I should catch you up on what's happened in past decade.

First off, both Mike and Alex had very successful college careers. Neither won the Heisman, but both ended up in pros. Alex's career didn't last that long, as he had knee problems. He's presently an assistant coach for Penn State. The word is that he'll eventually become a college head coach. He just got married last year. He still has the big party every Fourth of July, and every year as many of us as possible try to be there.

Mike's career has been much more successful. He's had a great career in the NFL and, barring injuries, he should have many more great seasons. Nonetheless, he's not just a jock. He earned a masters in social psychology in the off-seasons, and then put together a 'Sports without Bullies' program, which is getting a lot of attention in high schools across the country.

I did go to a few games at State, and I still go to the occasional pro game to see Mike play. He still considers me his lucky charm. Maybe he's right. Every game I've seen him play in person, they have won, including the past two Super Bowls.

Kristen broke up with Alex in college, but they remain good friends. She got her wish to live in NYC. She's presently a reporter for one of the big cable news networks. She told me that she's being groomed for her own show. We still get together once a year for a weekend of shopping and shows. She's still single although she's recently been dating a hockey player for one of the NY teams.

Tracey and Mike broke up in college. After she graduated from college, she married a doctor and moved to Atlanta. The last time I heard from her, she was a mother with three kids.

Rachael Patton went on to try out for the Olympics. She qualified for the marathon and had a respectable run, placing in the top thirty. She currently still competes in long distance events and does TV commentary for cable sports channels and the occasional network appearance. She's hoping to be a commentator for the next Summer Olympics.

Caroline had her SRS the following summer, a few weeks before mine. She has stayed with Paul and, for all practical purposes, they've been married since they graduated from Central. They have a successful comic strip that is presently syndicated in over a hundred newspapers around the country. They bought a big farmhouse near Golden Hill and turned it into their home and studio.

Denise is still rocking. She got her SRS a few years ago. She has become a successful studio musician and still tours with a band. She's also still a total nonconformist and still takes great joy in confusing the hell out of people.

Glenn works for NPR as a writer. He told me recently that he has no regrets concerning his decision to drop out. He did credit his time as Lisa as giving him the self-confidence to become a writer.

Dan stayed in Golden Hill. He's the manager of the leather shop next to Mrs. Lincoln's store.

Charlie still plays the piano, and is a well-respected studio artist. I've seen his name in the liner notes of many CDs. I did see him play a few years ago. He was touring with a well-known blues singer.

Alex's brother, Nick entered the Scholarship contest and lasted two months. He said he just wanted to see what it was like. Several years later, he confessed that he had a major crush on me. He moved to Seattle and the last I heard he worked in the news department of a local television station.

Tom Bell is presently a special investigator for the Pennsylvania State Police. He's married and has several kids. Sam is still trying to talk him into going to law school, but Tom says that he's having too much fun "catching jerks."

Jenny McCall and Lori Chambers are still in Golden Hill. They are still a couple. Lori is now the Athletic Director at Dewey. Jenny still has her practice, and I still call and see her every now and then.

Dr. Lee is now a professor at Dewey, where she teaches sociology.

Mrs. Lincoln has retired from directly running her stores. She turned the day-to-day operation of the business over to Cindy. She still makes her trips to New York, and is in the middle of writing her memoirs. I can't wait to read them!

Tony, the limo driver, also retired and turned the business over to his sons. However he still serves as Mrs. Lincoln's driver, whenever she goes to the city.

Mel and Cliff married the following June and their marriage is still going strong. They now live in northern California and have two kids and three dogs.

Jason is still in prison. He has become a 'model' prisoner and because of that he'll be eligible for early parole next year. That's several years sooner than his original sentence. I plan on going to the hearing, and every one after that. I guess I should be more forgiving, but it's very hard to forgive his actions. I still carry around some baggage because of what he did to me, and I have no early release from my pain, so I don't think he should get out early just because he's been a good boy.

Martin Turner lost his license to practice law in PA. The last I heard of him, he was selling used cars in Miami, Florida. I know that I'd never buy a car from him!

Nancy Bell is now the principal at Central. She has also earned her doctorate. The scholarship program is still going strong. She has seen similar programs start up in three other school districts. She was married last year and I was one of her bridesmaids. Her husband Jeff is a professor at Dewey and is really nice. I still consider her one of my best friends!

Terri and Brett dated on and off for a few months before they surprised everyone and eloped on a trip to Las Vegas. He moved to Golden Hill, joined the police force as a lieutenant, and became the new police chief two years later.

Cat has had a very interesting life since graduating from Central High. She graduated with honors from college and was immediately hired by the FBI. She joined Matt, who had been hired two years earlier. She quickly became a rising star in the criminal lab. They sent her back to school to earn her masters degree in forensic science. She has personally solved several high profile crimes. They say that she's a natural!

Cat married Matt two years ago in a lovely ceremony down in Washington DC. I was honored to be her maid of honor. We still keep in touch and I can always count on her honest opinion and her wonderful advice. After all, we're now cousins in a sort of roundabout way.

Sam and Mom are still married and even deeper in love. I now have a sister, Terri, age 9, and a brother, Sam Jr., age 7. I love being the older sister! Mom still works at the computer company and is now VP of marketing. Sam is still the DA, although there have been rumblings of people trying to get him to run for congress. Sam says that he's too honest to be a congressman. He still drinks coffee and still has his killer smile!

They still live in the same house. The backyard is now fenced in and is the playground for the kids and the dogs. Sam couldn't decide what to get, so they got both a chocolate lab named Mocha and an Irish setter named Murphy. The bush is still alive and thriving. It's huge now and shelters a rabbit's burrow. I am glad that it has become a sanctuary.

Laura and I broke up during our second year of college. The distance/separation was too hard on both of us, and we made a mutual decision to split up. We stayed friends and got back together again later, but more on that later.

She passed the bar and is now practicing law. She specializes in civil rights, with special attention to women's rights and LGBT discrimination. She also works with Marlene at times. Sam says that she's an excellent lawyer and that he wouldn't mind having her on his staff.

As for me, I had my SRS the summer following graduation. I pushed it back from the spring so Cat and Laura could be there for me. The surgery was successful. I never got the plastic surgery for the scar above my eye. It had faded enough so that it was barely noticeable.

The adoption papers came through the fall after graduating from Central High and I became Sam's daughter legally! I continued to attend Dewey and to work at the shop. I graduated with a BA in History and a minor in Education. I took some time off to travel a little before I started my student teaching. I was hired the following year at Central and now work alongside Mr. Kline - excuse me, that's Gordon! I still have difficulty calling my former teachers by their first names, just as he predicted!

I love teaching, and I'm also on the scholarship committee. I'm seriously thinking about going back to college to become a counselor. Nancy says that there's funding available if I want to do that. Mrs. Lincoln has also told me that when she gets too old, she wants me to take her seat on the Scholarship Trust board of trustees. She says she doesn't plan on getting 'too old' any time soon.

As for my private life, I survived the initial break up with Laura. After college I had a short intense fling with Mike. I think we both needed it. Mike told me that he'd had a real crush on me in high school. However, it wasn't meant to be, but it was really fun while it lasted and we left it as good friends.

I still have the occasional battles with the demons spawned by Jason's hateful action, but I'm still winning the war. Having understanding friends has been my greatest asset, along with the occasional therapy session.

Laura and I got back together after she finished law school, and it was better than ever before! She always said that we were going to be together forever and she was right; we got married four years ago. The funny thing is that the same laws that wouldn't let me completely change all my paperwork to say I was female allowed us to get married. Since they considered me a male, legally that is, they had no choice but to issue us a marriage license. It was either that or legally declare me female. Laura said that Marlene's and her goal was to get those ridiculous laws replaced, and I believe her. Laura still considers the case as her finest moment in the courtroom. She was even interviewed on nationwide TV! We joked about who would play us in the made-for-TV movie.

The actual wedding was just a simple exchange of vows. Because of the publicity of the case, we held it in secret with only family and close friends. Still, it was a lovely ceremony. It was also pretty cool having Sam give me away.

So, we both live in Golden Hill. We found a lovely house with a spacious yard that's just a couple blocks from Mom and Sam. We share our home with a large mixed breed pound dog named Charlie, my tribute to John Steinbeck, and a black cat named Maya, named after a friend's cat back in San Diego. Laura is also eight months pregnant with our first child, a daughter, who we've decided to name Caitlin, in honor of our best friend. My spermcicles seemed to have stayed potent enough to get her pregnant. There was talk by some of the wacko political/zealots about coming here to protest, until they realized who we were. They must have done their research this time and knew not to mess with us!

Anyway, things are going very well. Sam and Mom are very excited about becoming grandparents. Grandma and Grandpa Warren are VERY excited about becoming great-grandparents. I'm also excited about being a co-mom, as I'll be taking some maternity leave to help raise Kitten, our nickname for our daughter. I've been getting all sorts of great advice from Elaine Roberts at Central. We still laugh about my adventures with Robo-baby. I was delighted to find out that, with some hormone dosage adjustments and frequent nipple stimulation, I should be able to produce breast milk and help nurse our daughter. Laura has been enthusiastic about the frequent stimulation!

So, that's all for now. I may write more another day, but I have a feeling that, with our baby on the way, I'll be a bit busy in the future. However, if your town is looking to start a scholarship program similar to the one at Central, please contact Dr. Nancy Bell, Principal, Central High School, Golden Hill, PA. She'll be happy to help you!

The End

 
Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

My opinion

Lee's picture

First off I would like to thank you for a lovely story. It is certainly the most emotional story that I've read to the end. I think for the purposes of me reading it I would like to sit in 34 parts. After reading it all in 4 days and and thinking about it for sometime the one thing that keeps bugging me about this wonderful story is a few thing at the start you hinted that but never did. 1 at at the meeting before the first day of school I would had Erika been given or pick a number out of a hat to represent her simulated period. 2 I would have had at least 2 mentions of clothing inspections and references two other people going through it as well. 3 you had the the big events they had to do but but I think a list of say 20 smaller activities to be completed throughout the year would have been interesting to. Such as say they buying a dress, going out on a girls only shopping trip, mother and daughter trip and other girly activities.

I am a male lolita.
So what is lolita fashion http://lolita-tips.tumblr.com/faq

Great Story

Just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed this story the characters were excellent and the idea behind the story one I have never seen before.

Being TS myself I have to agree with others it is a pity there isn't such a scheme like this for real, school was one of the toughest times of my life, I wasn't bullied much because I pretended to fit in but its the little things like having to change in the boys locker room and missing out on activities that any other girl was able to partake.

Anyway thanks for sharing such a great story

Megumi :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Comments on The Scholarship

I just finished reading The Scholarship. I couldn't stop reading it until I was finished. Whew. I found the story was very entertaining and wish it was for real. It would be a very useful way to help the transgendered to out themselves. As one myself, I know that even with a program like that, it would still take a lot of guts to enroll in the Scholarship program. My thanks go to Julie O. for making the story available to us. Cynthia

usally i wont read these type of stories

Stories with violent sexually encounter over 95% of them I wouldn't read
but something about this one grab my attention & I started reading it.
I'm glad I did this is one of my favorite stories.

p.s. I wish I could have gone to a School like that

James

As wonderful

on rereading as on the first time. In my opinion, one of JulieO's best works. Many thanks to Sephrena for reposting it here.

2nd time around

It's the second time around i've read the story and i love it.
There is one thing that is semi bothering me though.. Through out the entire story, both time's that i've read it, i've kept the feeling that Miss Lincoln used to be Tom Sr.

Thanks for a great story,
Amber

The Scholarship -Awesome!

I personally found this story very touching. I cried so many times and yet I even managed to laugh at times as I identified with the character. Her strength, despite her insecurities really resonated with me and I wished I were as brave as her. As with Erika as she finally graduated and didn't want the year to end I too wished the story continued indefinitely.

I want to thank the author from the bottom of my heart for sharing this story with everyone, and with me.

Thank you!

I vaguely remember reading

I vaguely remember reading this story before, probably back in 2006, but it's so well written I had a ball reading it again, straight through with no side trips to other stories.

Thank you, Jackie O, for sharing this beauty with us!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

This is quite a story.

WillowD's picture

About a month ago I started reading stories in Julieverse. This one is quite different from the others I've read so far. Much longer too. It has kept me entertained for almost two weeks. Thank you so much for writing it.

Excellent Story Julie O!!!

This story was extremely well written, with a tenderness and caring in Erika that left me drawn deeply in the story with the exception of the scene of Jason raping her. Julie's choice of character action and movement through the story with the complex interaction of friends, and secondary characters was superb! Very few authors attain writing as touching a tale in the manner and execution of the sweet sentimental type genre as Julie O. has done. She is inside my top 5 author list of must reads for any story she writes. Erika is a character I can never forget as she has been given qualities, I, myself in real life still strive to match and would like to be more like her in nature. This story deeply impacted me on many levels and I am very moved. *Super Hugs*

Thank you for having let me live within Erika!

Sephrena Miller

ThankYou Sephrena

chrisl's picture

your review of Julie O's "The Scholarship" is perfect.

Yet another Thank You!

I was so happy that this story has finally been posted in it's entirety here on BC. I was going to comment the other day, but couldn't due to the posting glitch. there is so much that rings so true in this story to me, especially the aftermath of Erika's assault and rape. Having been molested as a child, the aftereffects Erika experiences as so real, I just wanted to hug her and tell her that this, too, will pass. JulieO has crafted such a fine, lovable character it's easy to forget it's a story, not an autobiography.

Thanks!
Karen J.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin