words will never hurt me

Printer-friendly version

Words will never hurt me ….

Words will never hurt me, that’s what they always say
But words still carry a price, and I don’t want to pay

Like “it” is a name some give me, like I am not even real
I swallow the word, though it chokes me, I don’t know how to deal

“Sin” is what some call my journey, like I ever had a choice
And the pounding from the pulpit, drowns out my forlorn voice

“Sissy” is a favorite word for some to use, it covers lots of ground
Gives such an excuse to flex a muscle, and look for someone to pound

“Homo” and “Fag” are popular too, for those who need an excuse
To act out hate and fear, to make a war, and never call a truce

“Thing” is not a nice name, but sometimes I have heard it said
And at times, the hurt I feel inside, makes me see red

But I am not the labels, my story has so much more to say
If only you would take the time, and if attention you would pay

I don’t deserve abuse, not by labels, words, or acts
I am a human being, and only I have all the facts

Don’t tell me words are not sticks and stones, or that I should just relax
For they can hurt, by themselves and they can lead to violent acts

Words will never hurt me, that’s what they always say
But words still carry a price, and I don’t want to pay.

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Too true...

Sadly, everythign in that poem rang true. I wonder if that will ever change....

-Kylie
"The most common thing programmers say: That's weird, it worked on my machine."
(I read and reply to all comments left on my stories)

All too true, as Kylie has noted.

Andrea Lena's picture

“Sin” is what some call my journey, like I ever had a choice
And the pounding from the pulpit, drowns out my forlorn voice

It breaks my heart and I feel helpless. I so want to return to ministry, and maybe one day I will. Here's something I hope will be a blessing; you, my dear Dorothy (and everyone else for that matter, are his workmanship. The word there is what we derive the word poem from; the beautiful creation being the poet as well as the poem. God bless and thank you for this powerful poem!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I don't deserve abuse,

ALISON

'not by labels,words,or acts,I am a human being,and only I have all the facts'. Dorothy Colleen,you deserve a medal!
You have said it all.

ALISON

Very powerful!

Thank you!


Happy to know you. Belle

This has a message that hits home for

most of us. In law we have a doctrine called the fighting words doctrine, which simply means if someone is doing something to get others to fight, hate, kill, or whatever, that person may be prosecuted. In 1968, a young man was in the Los Angeles county courthouse, and was wearing a jacket that said "Fuck the draft" on the back. He was promptly arrested under the fighting words doctrine, but the US Supreme Court said that the young man had a right to express himself, and that the arrest violated his right to freedom of speech.

The problem is, that the fighting words doctrine today is applied to people who say things that get others angry and then want to fight or do harm to whomever the first person was against. It no longer applies to us, or crossdressers, or bi-sexual, or anyone else under that umbrella.

This poem, shows that there are still people out there that want and will do us harm, simply because they have personal ideals of what being whatever it is being is about. Thank you for sharing DorothyColleen.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

T Party

I'm all for T parties. Every girl should have an excuse now and then to get dressed to the nines and strut her stuff.

It's hard to argue with the core Tea Party philosophy of fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited government, and free market. A good share of my left leaning friends are on board with all of that -- as am I.

It's when the Tea Party crosses over into its "social agenda" that i see red. I got enough "sanctity" crap pushed down my throat in Catholic school to last a lifetime. It was "sanctity" this and "sanctity" that and all the time or pastor was doing his best to have sex with as many boys as possible.

Either the government needs to get out of our lives or it doesn't. It is just too illogical for the same group of bigoted a-holes to clamor for smaller government and at the same time demand constitutional amendments to restrict marriage to a definition that assures binary gender bigotry.

Think about it. If marriage is restricted to a man and a woman that pretty much draws lines that we know don't exist. That is the ultimate in name calling. You have no right to tell me who I am.

Tea Party -- my ass. If you have a libertarian viewpoint please pull off the covers and admit it . . . it's not sinful.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

re: words

i may not always agree with what you do, say or wear but isnt this the land of free choice.
robert

001.JPG

So many times it seems a

So many times it seems a "name" of any sort, sissy, queer or just other is simply another term for "it" just a different way to deny that you are speaking about a person, not an object and therefore what ever you are referring to deserves no consideration and has no feelings or rights.

If...

Daphne Xu's picture

...the principal tells a student complaining about tormenting lies and name-calling just to deal with it: "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me." The principal should realize that he's giving permission to the student to respond not only in kind, but with profanity.

-- Daphne Xu

Indeed. He might even brag

Daphne Xu's picture

Indeed. He might even brag about a double standard. "They can; you can't." Torment you with words, but you can't respond.

-- Daphne Xu