So You Want To Be A Girl, Do You - Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

So You Want To Be A Girl, Do You
by Barbara Lynn Terry

(Author's Note:) According to the Merriam-WebsterOnline dictionary, the word dysphoria was first used in 1842 and the word transsexual was first used in 1957. I was told by my psychiatrist in 1960 that being transsexual was not considered a mental disease or defect, and that I had a right to be who I am. This chapter deals with Stephanie's life as the girl she is, and the loving support of her mother. Remember this is fiction, but I incorporate a lot of personal experiences.

Chapter 3

As I sat there reading this book, I heard the whispers from some of the boys, daring another boy to ask me for a date. I was ready for this, because mom and I had had talks about this and what I should do. The boy being dared was very shy around girls. With his friends, he was just as outgoing as he could be, but with girls he stumbled and stuttered to get the words out. I saw him from the corner of my eye get up and start walking towards me. I acted like I didn't know what he was up to, and continued reading.

"Ex...excuse...excuse me."

I looked up from my book, "yes, Darren, did you want something?"

"N...n...no," and he walked back to his friends who called him chicken. Darren Bates was a nice boy, and he was very polite too. But I think the boys wanted him around because he knew how to shoot baskets. Then Donny Baird got up and came over by me, after telling Darren he will show him how it's done. I did everything I could to keep from laughing or even smiling. Donny sat down by me, and looked at the book I was reading.

"Nice book. Stephanie, there is a dance coming up next week Friday, and I was wondering if you would be my date."

"Oh Donny, that is so sweet, but I was already asked. I'm going with one of George's friends."

"Well, I just thought I would ask. You know, I am always available if you want me to..." I cut him off.

"Want you to what, Donny? If you are implying I would go out with you for sex, I think you have the wrong girl. Why are you guys always talking about sex? There are a lot of things in life that don't have anything to do with sex."

"Yeah? Like what?"

"Well, shopping, going to the movies, having a burger, fries and coke, talking with your parents, being in school, playing basketball, or any other sports. There are many, many things in life that are not about sex."

"Yeah, well, that's for squares. I'm a man, and I will have my fun while I can."

"You're a boy, and a filthy minded boy too."

"Mr. Baird, please return to your seat."

"I was just getting a book."

"Which just happens to be on the table by Miss Kelly? Return to your seat, now, mister Baird."

"Yes, ma'am." He winked at me and left me a folded piece of paper, which I promptly threw in the waste basket.

I mean, they are only boys, and I can't blame them for trying, but you would think they could clean up their manners a little before trying to pick up girls. The bell rang, and we all headed out to our next classes. Home economics is a nice class, and we don't have to worry about the boys. Miss Jameson assigned us each to a sewing machine, and then told us to remember which one was ours. She then had us sit in a "round table" discussion of child care.

"Now ladies, I am going to pass out dolls for you. I want you give your dolls names. These dolls are to be taken care of just like they were your real children. You will have to feed them, change them, burp them, put them to sleep, carry them with you, and talk to them like you love them as your child. This is important that you know how to do this, so that when you have children of your own, you will be good mothers."

She passed out the dolls, and these dolls cried, wet, and even had a hole in the mouth for a small bottle. Okay, so I am going to learn how to care for a child, albeit a doll, but I have to treat it like it was my child. I wonder if mom can give me some tips. I will ask her tonight. Miss Jameson also said we were going to concentrate on mending clothes that had rips in them, without putting patches on. She said nothing looks worse than a patch on the seat end of a dress. We all giggled.

One of the girls, Cindy Markham, said her mother just cut up the old worn out clothes for cleaning rags. Cindy is a nice girl, and she is kind of shy around boys, but oh boy, is she ever a chatterbox with us. Miss Jameson said that worn out clothes can be beyond repair, and it is good that Cindy's mother didn't just throw them away. But, Miss Jameson also said that there are times when a dress may be torn other than on the seam. She said that is what we were going to learn, is how to repair that rip. She looked at the clock and cautioned us to be sure and take care of our babies, and then the bell rang for ending class.

When we got in Mr. Davis' class, he was sitting at his desk looking at a book that wasn't a school book. It said something about the American Revolution on the cover. He looked up as the second bell rang and took roll call.

"I was just reading something here about the American Revolution. Does anybody know anything about the Thirteen Colonies?" Nobody raised their hand. "Can anybody tell me what the Tea Act was?" Nobody raised their hand. "The Tea Act was enacted by the British Parliament in 1773, to tax tea from the British East India Company being sent to the Thirteen Colonies. Even though a few colonies had sent the tea back to King George, there were a few protestors that were dressed as American indians, and they boarded the ships in Boston harbor and threw the tea overboard. This was one of the most important protests that had led to the American Revolution. In 1774, Parliament passed the Coercive Acts, which closed commerce to and from Boston until the colony paid the British East India Company for the tea they threw overboard. The colonists kept protesting, and even convened the First Continental Congress, but Britain did not sit by and accept these protests. In 1775 near Boston the American Revolution began. I hope you all wrote that down, because it is important that you know this. I mean, it may not be something you need for a job unless you are going to be a teacher, but it is important to know how this country was started, and what fired up the writing and signing of the Declaration of Independence.

"I hear many say they don't want to know history, because it is dull and boring. But I can make it interesting. In history there are wars to learn about, hate, murder, treachery; but there is also love, sex," The boys laughed while we giggled. "You may think that is funny, but many of the things that happened in history are based on one romantic liason or another. History is what you can make of it. You can learn all about how Hitler became the leader of Germany and the Nazi Party. Or you may want to know why Queen Isabella of Spain sent Christopher Columbus on his historic adventure to find new lands. But this is American history and we will learn the history of our country. Like why did Sir Francis Scott Key write the Star Spangled Banner? These are all the things history has in it, and we will learn all of them. Now for the bad news. I want each of you to write an essay on the Tea and Coercive Acts, in your own words. You may study in groups if you want, but I want this essay by next week Friday. I also," the bell rang ending class and the school day, "want you to read about the Stamp Act and do the exercises at the end of the chapter. Thank you, have a good day."

We went to our lockers to put our books away, and take only the ones we had homework for. The only book we needed was our history book. Sally, Michelle and I left the school and saw Jimmy Henderson's two friends waiting by the playground fence. We immediately went back in like we had forgotten something, and told Mr. Stevens that Jimmy's two friends were waiting by the school fence. His office looked out over the playground area that was only used for basketball and jump rope mainly, and he saw the two boys. Mr. Stevens is a strong man, and young for a principal. He told us to wait inside. He went out to the fence and talked with the two boys. They came in with him.

"Sit down, and don't try to leave or I will send the police to your houses. What were you two doing by the school fence?"

"Waiting for that faggot so we can beat it's a...rear end."

"You were told to stay away from the school during your suspension. Now, I have no idea who you are even talking about, but since you and your leader are on a violent spree and nothing anyone can say will stop you, you will suffer the consequences. Now, who are you talking about?"

"That, that thing that dresses like a girl."

"What is the person's name?"

"We don't know the person's name, we only know what it looks like."

"You keep saying it, but don't know the person's name. That is interesting. Wait right here." Mr. Stevens came in the other office and told us what they had said, but it didn't bother me that they would say that. He told us he was calling the police, and that these two were going to the detention home. "Stephanie, I can keep this charade up for only so long, before they find out you're not a genetic female."

"Mr. Stevens, if they force me to have a physical, I can handle whatever comes after that. I have told my mother that I am going to live my life as a girl forever. It doesn't matter what they say about me or have me do to find out what my body is like. Kathy Nesbitt has even told me that if I act like the girl I say I am, there won't be any problems with being in the girls gym and there won't be any problems in the girls restrooms either. Mr. Stevens, I am eleven years old, and I know who I am."

"Will you face these two boys when the police get here?"

"Yes, Mr. Stevens, I will."

Mr. Stevens picked up the phone and called the police. When the police came to the school, Sally, Michelle and I, were called in to the other office. When we sat down, the two boys who were on the other side of the desk tried to get up, but the police stopped them.

"You two were suspended yesterday because of violent behavior toward another student. You were told to stay away from the school during school hours. School hours ends at five in the afternoon. You were here at three thirty. I am turning you both over to the police, and I am calling your parents. We will not tolerate violent behavior of any kind here whether from a student or a faculty member. Miss Kelly, are these the boys who keep threatening you?"

"Yes, Mr. Stevens, they are. They were with Jimmy Henderson when they started their threats."

"Thank you, Miss Kelly. Officers, please take them out of here." When the officers left with the two boys, Mr. Stevens talked to us a little more. "Miss Kelly, this started as a punishment, or so your mother told me. Now you tell me you intend to live your life as a girl. Did this punishment have anything to do with that decision?"

"No, sir. I have been a girl all of my life, and that is how I will live my life. Sally and Michelle can tell you of the sleepovers we have had, and the outfits they let me wear, or gave me to keep. See, Mr. Stevens, mother has already accepted me as her daughter, but if you don't want me to go to school as a girl, I am sure my mother can find one that will let me."

"No, Miss Kelly. This has been the third day of school, and I have received very favorable reports about you. Your teachers are impressed by what you have learned."

"I retain about eighty per cent of what I read, hear, or see. Sometimes, I have to look up big words to see what their meaning was in something I either read or heard. But I can retain quite a bit."

"Alright then, you may continue to attend school here as Stephanie, but, behave yourself like a young lady."

"Thank you, Mr. Stevens, I will."

"You're welcome. See you tomorrow."

We left to go to the bus stop. Our school bus passes were still good yet, because it wasn't four forty-five. All three of us lived in the same neighborhood, so we used the same stop to get on and off the bus. We all hugged at my house and Sally and Michelle walked to their houses. I went in and up to my room, and set my books on my dresser. I went back downstairs to the kitchen.

"Hi dear. I got a call from Mr. Stevens that two of the bullies that were picking on you were taken away by the police. He said he had a nice talk with you, and told me that you have been nothing but a decent young lady in his school, so he said he told you you can continue to go to school as Stephanie. I am proud of the way you have acted in school. Well, as long as Mr. Stevens will let you go to school as Stephanie, I see no reason to end this being my daughter bit. I am going to love having a daughter. Do you have any homework?"

"Yes, ma'am, I have history. Mr. Davis wants us to write an essay about the Tea and Coercive Acts, and do the exercises about the Stamp Act. Mom, why do people have to start wars?"

"When you find out, you let the rest of us know, because as God is my judge, I have absolutely no idea. But all the wars that have been started and fought, were started by men, sweetie. It seems men are not happy unless they are shooting someone dead, or hitting someone with their fists. Not all men are like that though, but most of them are. If you talk to anybody in the military, all he or she knows is war and fighting and being in the military. It seems that whatever they learned, knew, or did before that is all of a sudden forgotten. It would have been good if we had learned our lesson that war only gets people killed. I feel that we can all live without war."

"I'm with you, mom. I feel the same way. What are we having for dinner?"

"Well, I was thinking that maybe we could make dinner together, or go out to eat, or order dinner and have it delivered. What do you think we should do?"

"I would love to help you make dinner."

"Good girl," she said smiling while giving me a hug. "So, what should we make?"

"Spaghetti."

"Alright, do you want to make the sauce home made, or do you want it from a can?"

"Home made."

"Look and see how many tomatoes we have."

I looked in the fridge, and saw three tomatoes, and I told her that. I took them out and set them on the table. I got out one celery stalk, and the ground beef for making the meatballs. I got out the breakfast sausage and we were going to make them into balls. Then I went in the pantry and got out two onions, and one clove of garlic. I went to the spice rack and got out the Italian seasoning, oregano, ground cloves, and a few other spices mom put in her Italian spaghetti. I also got out two cans of tomato puree.I cut up the vegetables, and set them aside. I opened the cans of tomato puree. I got out a four quart sauce pan, and set it on the stove. I poured the tomato puree in the pan, and turned the burner on a low heat. I waited for the tomato puree to boil. I got out another four quart sauce pan, and put water in it for boiling the spaghetti noodles.

Mom had gotten the spaghetti noodles out, and was breaking them in half. As soon as the water boiled for the noodles, mom would put them in the pan. She also made the meat into balls, so we could cook them, and put them in the sauce. When the tomato puree started to boil, I put everything I had cut up into the sauce. Then I put a little of the spices in for flavor. I stirred the the sauce, and when it was ready, I took a teaspoon and tasted it. I took another spoon and had mom taste it too, and it was perfect. When the meat was fully cooked, mom put it all in the sauce.

I stirred the sauce, and mom did the noodles. By the time the noodles were done, the sauce was just about finished. A few more minutes. When the sauce was done, mom had drained the spaghetti noodles, and put them in a collander over a dinner plate. I poured the sauce in a large serving bowl, and then we sat down. Oh! Mom had also made the garlic bread. So we had Italian spaghetti the way grandma Dolly had made it.

"Dear, this sauce is really good. I guess you do know how to cook."

"I told you I did," I said, smiling that mom had noticed.

"Well, I can see that my little girl will never starve to death. Honey, if you get a good boyfriend, hang on to him, and he may just become your husband. I know it is maybe too early to talk about that now, but in time what we talk about now, will come in handy when you need to use it. We girls learn about life and how we are supposed to deal with it when we are little. Then, when we grow up to be women, we know what to do. Boys don't seem to care about life the way women do. Boys just go on for the day and take it as it comes. When they grow up to be men, they think their boyish manners are the way life is supposed to be lived.

"See honey, while not all men are like that, we have to be careful in who we choose as a mate. There are many women who are battered wives, because their husbands beat them up, thinking that is the way it supposed to be. These kind of men don't seem to want to learn a different way because they have authority and strength over everything, and feel threatened by their wives, if the wives show any kind of independence. These types of men are very violent and dangerous. So when we are looking for a man, we must be very careful.

"There are couples that have been friends ever since grade school that have gotten married and made it work. So, when you are looking for a boyfriend, be very careful you pick the right one. Now, mostly high school boys are only out for sex, but occasionally you will find one that just wants you, and not just your body. I am telling you this just like I would any girl who is my daughter. This is so you know that there are men out there we must be very careful of, and then there are men that really care. So picking the right one may take a little time, but it is worth it."

"Mother, are there boys that will accept me for me, even though I am not a genetic girl?"

"Yes, dear, there are. At Least, I think there are. There are boys who will even take a stray puppy or kitten home. So, if you are looking for a boyfriend, dear, be very careful. When you do find a boyfriend, bring him over so I can meet him. This way, too, if he does anything against you, I will know who he is. But I have faith that my girl will pick the right boy for her."

"Thank you, mother," I said giving her a hug.

"Well, let's clean this place up. You wash and I will dry and we can put them away together."

"Sounds good to me," I said, smiling as I put my apron on.

After we cleaned up the kitchen, and put the leftovers away, we went to watch tv. Since this was Thursday, there wasn't asnything really good on. I gave mom a hug and told her I was going to start on my homework for tomorrow and my essay for next week. I went to my room, and took out my history book. I turned to the chapter about the Stamp Act, and began reading.

It seemed that everything was taxed under the Stamp Act and not just printing or postage stamps. The Stamp Act was the first real action by the British Parliament directed at the colonies. The Stamp Act was passed and signed into law by King George on March 22, 1765. As I answered the chapter questions, I thought that all King George had to do was be fair about what he was doing, and levy those taxes against all British people, not just the American colonies. It had also said that the Seven Years War had increased the British national debt from  £72,289,673 in 1755 to  £129,586,789 in 1764. That is quite a jump in nine years. After I had finished the chapter and answering the questions, I took my doll and went downstairs. Mom was still sitting in front of the tv.

"Where did you get the doll from, honey?"

"From school. Miss Jameson said we had to take care of it like it was our baby."

"I had to do that somewhat when I was in school, only with us it was an egg, and we had to care for it and not break it. Did you give your baby a name?"

"Not yet, mother. I was waiting to talk to you, to see if you had any ideas about how I should care for my baby, and maybe talk about a name."

"Yes, this would be new to you. Alright, we can talk about that, and I can show you too. Let me see, you are going to need diapers, plastic pants, doll dresses, and doll shoes, if we can find them. Maybe we can find a doll hair brush too. I will tell you what we will do. Let's think of a good name for your baby, and tomorrow we will look around and see if we can find your baby some clothes. How long do you have to care for your baby?"

"I'm not sure. Miss Jameson didn't tell us."

"Well, find out tomorrow then, that way I will know how many doll clothes to get. You know, Stephanie, it wouldn't hurt you to have a few of your own dolls. Because then you could practice being a mother when you are not in school, or when this part of home economics ends. Now, let me show you how to fold a diaper and put it on a baby."

Mom had taken a handkerchief and folded it into a triangle shape, and then showed me how to put it under the doll as though it were a real baby. Then she brought the pointed end up to cover the groin, and then folded over the sides.

"This is how you put a diaper on a real baby. Then the plastic pants go over the diaper, and then you can put your baby in her day clothes. All done. But if this were a real baby though, you would have to make sure you cleaned her up really good, so that she was clean all over between the legs and the butt. Dear, would you like to baby sit? Maybe by taking care of a few babies, you will get the experience we get as we are growing up. Baby sitting is just one of those experiences every girl goes through."

"I would love to baby sit."

"Let's see if there is anyone wanting a baby sitter in the want ads."

We looked through the paper, and we found a few, so I called them, and come to find out the lady living next door to Sally was looking for a sitter. I called and talked to her, and then I told her she could talk to Sally because we were very close friends. The lady said she would and would get back to me.

"Mom, when do I see the doctor?"

"Next week, Wednesday, at four o'clock. His office is out at county and we can take the number 10 right there. His name is Dr. Johnston."

"Did you talk to him?"

"No, sweetie, I didn't. I just made the appointment for you. Just remember though, be yourself and don't let him try to tell you who you can be. When all this started, I wasn't in favor of it either, but I finally got to see my daughter in action at the mall. So when you see him, you just be yourself."

"I guess if I can stand up to you, I can stand up to him. I hope."

"You will do fine. As for standing up to me, only a girl could have done it the way you did. You didn't swear, or cuss, or get loud or threatening. You just flatly stated that girls don't have short hair like guys do and you weren't getting your hair cut and you weren't going to stop wearing dresses or acting like a girl. A boy who is any kind of a boy would have gotten loud and either swore, cussed or got real threatening. That is a guy thing, honey. Whenever a guy starts teasing you, you just walk away and show him it doesn't bother you. After a while he will get the message that he can't get an emotion out of you, and he will go and pick on someone else."

"But, why do guys do things like that though, in the first place?"

"Your guess is as good as mine, sweetie. The only thing I know is there are decent men out there, but we have to be careful and make sure we choose wisely. If we find that we have the wrong guy, we can always divorce him, or before we get maried, break up with him. Just be careful, because there are no guarantees in life, and the world is full of two legged wild animals. Namely, men. I have an idea. Let's go out to eat. I really don't feel like cooking, and besides we haven't been out for a while. Where would you like to go?"

"Let's go to Big Boy's."

"Alrighty, Big Boy's it is. Get your coat and purse dear, and we will be on our way."

Mom and I went to the bus stop and waited for the number 27. It came a few minutes later, and it took us to north 27th street, and west Wisocnsin avenue. Then we took the bus downtown, and got off at half of a block from Marc's Big Boy on north 5th street and west Wisconsin avenue. We went in and the hostess seated us near the Wisconsin avenue side. Mom ordered a Big Boy burger, fries and two sodas. Since the Big Boy burger was kind of huge, mom and I split that and the fries.

We just talked about my day at school, and if I had any problems.

"No mom, I did have any problems. Mr. Stevens took care of the last of the problems today. Jimmy Henderson's two friends thought they were getting away with something, when they were waiting just outside of the school fence. Mr. Stevens brought them in the school and called the police. These two boys were still suspended though, but they just couldn't stay away. Now they're in the detention home with Jimmy."

"Well, you certainly did have a remarkable day, didn't you. Do you think you will have any more problems with these boys?"

"Not with Jimmy, at least. He was always a troublemaker. His two friends I think will stop bothering me if they get out of this one. We will see."

"Do you have ... oh that's right, you said you have history homework."

"Yes, mom. I already did it. We just had to read about the Stamp Act and do the chapter questions. I was looking in our chapters on the Revolutionary War and all the acts that were put in to law against the thirteen colonies. King George certainly was not a fair king."

"No he wasn't. To put it mildly, what the original colonists were against was being taxed for this and that without representation. The colonists were not allowed to sit in Parliament, so they had no voice, no one to represent them. When King George signed the Tea Act, that was, as they say, the straw that broke the camel's back. If he would have done right by the colonists, we maybe, would still be a part of the British empire like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, British Guiana, and the Falkland Islands off the coast of Argentina. So you see, dear, King George really did us a favor. He made our original settlers fight to establish our own country. Even the way things are today, I'd say we did pretty darn good." We both giggled.

When we were finished with our meal, mom paid the cashier, and we walked down to Gimbel's only four blocks away. When we got in the store, we headed for the Bargain basement. You could get a lot of good clothes there for next to nothing. We looked through the skirts, tops and dresses, and I found a grass green skirt, with a matching top. I just had to have this, so mom let me get it. That is what I like about on the spur of the moment shopping. You never know what you will find. I also got more panties with a lot of lace in varying rainbow colors, and in nylon. I also got a few more slips, and bras. By the time we were finished, or I should say, I was finished, shopping, it was almost closing time. My how time flies when you are in your natural element. I giggled.

Mom paid for everything, and we went to wait for the bus. On the ride back home, mom had complimented me on being able to shop by myself for things she was just a tad too old for. We made it home, and I took my new clothes to my room and put them away. I took a quick shower, and got my baby doll nightie on. I stepped in to my slippers, and went out to the kitchen.

"Mom, when I see this doctor, are you going to be in there with me?"

"No dear. It will be just you and the doctor. You can ask him that I be present, and he has to honor that. If he doesn't, we can file a complaint with the hospital. But let's just see what this doctor does."

"You just remember, that when you have homework, do it the night you have it."

"Well, this homework isn't due til next Friday anyway. I did the questions on the Stamp Act. The rest I can do tomorrow. I do have an essay to write about the Tea and Coercive Acts, due next week Friday. I have to look that up in the library during study hall. Mr. Davis said we could study in groups. I want to see if Sally and Michelle and their boyfriends can come over and we can study together."

"Oh, uhm boys. Yes, well, if you are going to invite boys over for a study group, they are not allowed in your room, young lady. That is only proper."

"Sally and Michelle have already told me that quite a long time ago. I will ask them when I see them tomorrow. Tomorrow is Friday, and I have a lot of homework to do and study. When I was doing my homework on the Stamp Act, I noticed that everything the colonists had, bought, or were given was taxed by the Stamp Act."

"That is true, dear. Those were very hard times, both economically and physically. Everything that was done, was done by physical labor. They didn't have automobiles, or television. What they had was a town crier that went through the town announcing the time and the news of the hour. But look what we have accomplished in one hundred and eighty five years is remarkable. And most of what we have today like penicillin, and other antibiotics, x-ray machines, blood testing, and otehr medical marvels have only come about in the 20th century. Before that, if you dabbled in any kind of science and you did not go to, graduate, or work at a school of some kind, you were accused of withcraft, and they stoned you for that. Today witchcraft is laughed off as a joke and most people don't believe in it.

"Now, what say we have a girls night in tomorrow night.

"Yes, mother, it does. then we can talk some more, and I can even do your hair and your nails."

"And I can do yours, too. Plus we can girl talk all night if we want to, or until our eyes start to close. I remember when I was your age and we had our sleepovers, and girls nights in. We always got into discussions we wouldn't talk about anywhere else, or with anyone else, either. We would talk about periods, boyfriends, boys in general, what we did, or he tried to do on a date, but we wouldn't let him. Boys and men, honey, talk matter of factly. But we women talk about the sun is red not yellow and that sparks a conversation among the girls. The guys just say we're crazy, but we know what we mean, because we can understand each other. Men have to have things spelled out for them, or they just don't understand. And OMG! A man's memory is the worst on the whole earth.

"You tell them you want them to pick something up from the store, or to pick up the dress you had dry cleaned, or make sure you get the kids from school. Whatever we ask them to do, they forget more than they actually do what we ask. It is sad though, because I would like to know what goes through a man's mind when he forgets the simple things we ask him to do.

"Well, let's see. What do you want to do now? I know what we can do. We can go to a movie since you already did your homework for tomorrow. Let's see what's playing."

Mom looked in the paper to see what was playing. She said there was a new movie called The Time Machine by H. G. Wells. She said it was playing at the Uptown Theater at north 50th street and west Lisbon avenue. (Today that area is the 3rd district police station and telecommunications center.) Showing time was 7 pm, and we just had dinner, so we weren't hungry. Now mom was always one for saving money, believe it or not, and she made some popcorn for us to take with us. Now a lot of the theraters didn't allow you to bring snacks in, because that took revenue away from the concession stand. So, we got ourselves ready for a night at the movies, and with our popcorn, coats and purses, we left for the Uptown. We were lucky to get seats in the far back center, just under the projection booth. Mom never did like sitting way up front and I didn't either. I mean, you could see the screen just as good from the back as from the front, maybe even better.

I asked mom who H.G. Wells was, and she said he was a science fiction writer that wrote about fantastic science fiction stories. She said he was from England, and wrote his stories in the late 1800's. Just as she said that, the lights went dim, and the movie started. The beginning had all these different clocks ticking and revolving around the screen. It starred Rod Taylor as the inventor time traveler, and Yvette Mimieux as Weena who lived with her people, the Eloi. But they had a terrible demon that controlled them called the Morlocks who were cannibalistic monsters who lived underground. Rod Taylor fought the Morlocks, and then some of the Eloi helped him overcome the underground cannibals. Then he went back to his time to tell his friends, who, except for one, disbelieved him. After his friends had left, Rod Taylor took two books and went back to help the Eloi, probably to start a new life for them. The movie was really nice. A time traveling love story of two people from different times.

We left the theater and walked to the bus stop. The number 57 came, and we rode it to north 27th street and west Lisbon avenue, and then walked the block and a half to our house on north 27th street that was just three buildings south of west Galena street. When we got in the house, I kissed and hugged mom good night, and went to get ready for bed. Tomorrow was the last day of the first week of school. Thank God it's Friday. After I removed what makeup I had one, I took a quick shower, and got into my turquoise baby doll nightie. I got under the covers, and mom came in and kissed my forehead and said good night. She turned off my light, and left my door open just a bit so the hall light wouldn't keep me awake.

Mom has sure been treating me different since I told her I was going to stay Stephanie. I was thinking aobut that when I fell asleep, but I do hate mornings. They come way too quickly. didn't I just close my eyes. Somebody turn off that big bright yellow ball for a few hours. I was really serious. With school, shopping, and doing this and that, this week has made me so tired. Well, Saturday and Sunday I can sleep in. I got up, and ran my bubble bath. I figured a nice rose scent would do for today. I did my toiletries as the tub filled, and when I was finished brushing my teeth, I turned off the water, and slowly lowered myself in the tub. Mom came in and kissed me on the forehead and told me to let her know when I was done.

I didn't have time to daydream this morning, because I wanted to look especially nice today. After washing and patting myself dry, I went in my bedroom, and got my lingerie on. Then I sat down to do my makeup. Today I wanted soft tones, because my clothes were going to be a soft blue. I penciled in black eye liner, a tan eye shadow, a tan face powder, and then I also darkened my eye lashes too. The final element of my morning makeover was the mascara. I made sure my lashes were dark, giving me a mysterious woman look. My makeup was soft, and my blouse was also a light blue, and so was my skirt. I put my nylons on, and then stepped into my light blue, two inch heeled pumps, with the slightly thicker width of the heels. I was ready after putting my hair in a pony tail, and I went in for breakfast. Mom was sitting at the table.

"Good morning, sweetie. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, mom, I did. I'm only going to have a slice of jelly toast. I'm not really hungry." I made the toast, and then put a little jelly on it, and sat down with my o.j., milk, and toast. I took my time, and when I finished my milk, it was time for me to leave for school. Mom didn't have to go in tothe shop until nine, because Gimbel's was open til nine tonight. TGIF.

"Bye mom, I love you," I said kissing her cheek. "TTFN."

I saw Sally, Michelle, Janet and Karen at the stop. I went over and pushed my through so I could be next to them. This way we could get seats. We talked a bit about nothing until the bus came, and then we sat down on the side seats. You know the ones at the front of the bus that face each other. We talked about my makeup job being really soft, like I wasn't wearing any. Janet asked if my mom did it for me, and I told her no, I did. I said that my mom is letting me get myself ready for school, now that she knows I know how to do everything. I still have to practice with my hair, so I can do more than just a pony tail. But, that will come.

We got off the bus at Wisconsin avenue and got on the number 31. This bus was SRO, and I was again standing in the door well. We got off at north 18th and west Wisconsin avenue, and walked over to the school. When the boys saw us coming, they made jokes that les squad was coming. We paid them no mind, because none of them had a mind. The first bell rang and we all filed in to our lockers to get our books for the morning classes. Simple routine, dull humdrum part of school. We repeat this same ritual three times a day. TGIF. That's all I can say. TGIF.

Now, I know I paid attention in class, because my notes are evidence of that. But, I don't think I heard a word my teachers said. I had to do home ec though, because that was a hands on class. But the rest of the teachers sounded like in the movies when they slow the voice down and you can't understand it. When the last bell rang ending the day and the first week of school, I was very happy that I didn't have to repeat this tomorrow. Sally, Michelle, Janet and Karen came with me to the salon towait for mom to get off of work. When four o'clock came, she was still working on one lady, and then after her, she would be done. Mom finished with the lady, and said she would see her next month. Mom came over by us.

"Hello girls. It's nice to see all of you together for a change."

"For a change, mom? We're together all the time at school, and when we can be on the weekends. It's just you and I have been busy on the weekends. Michelle has something she owuld like to ask you, mom."

"Mrs. Kelly, I'm having a weekend long slumber party at my house, next weekend. Would it be alright if Stephanie came and joined us?"

"I don't see why not. You know, you girls have been friends since kindergarten, and it is nice that you can have loving and lasting friends. That is what being a true friend really is. Someone you can depend on. Yes, Michelle, Stephanie can go to your slumber party. So, do you girls have to go right home?"

They all said no, as long as they called their parents to let them know where they were going to be.

"Well then, why don't you all come home with Stephanie and me, and stay for dinner. Your parents can come too if they want."

The girls were very animated saying they needed to use a phone. Gina said they could use the shop's phone to call their parents. Michelle and Janet's mom and even Karen's mom too, were regular customers of this salon. So a few privieleges go with that. After they had called their parents, everybody said their parents were coming over. Karen said her mother let out a sigh saying now she didn't have to cook. Everybody giggled, and we went down to the bus stop.

We were home maybe five minutes, when the girls parents came. The men stayed in the living room talking about their latest wins or losses of their favorite football teams, and we women were all in the kitchen. Now, the kitchen is not that big, but it was big enough for all of us. When mom I are home home by ourselves, we never close the kitchen door. But today we did, because the guys were talking guy talk and we were talking our usual girl talk.

Mom and I made the dinner, and we all put it on the dining room table. Roast beef, with gravy, mashed potatoes and butter, and green beans. For dessert, we had Mrs. Langston's peach cobbler. After the dinner was over, and we girls did the dishes, the guys went in the front room to talk about more sports. Then with everything clean and tidy, we went in the living room and sat down to talk.

"Mrs. Dearborn, I gave Stephanie permission to go to Michelle's slumber party next weekend. She hasn't been to one in a while."

"She is more than welcome. Dan is going to out of town that weekend, so I told Michelle she could have her friends over for a weekend slumber party. It will be just us girls. No men, thank God."

Hearing that, Michelle's father jerked his head straight up. "What was that? Did you just thank God for no men next weekend?"

"Yes, dear, I did. You have your meetings to go to, and we are having man time off. Which means it is just us girls and we can wear what we like without embarrassing the men. I have to figure out what to plan for meals, since it is just us girls.
___________________________________________________________________________
School, the psychiatrist, the slumber party in chapter 4.

up
174 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmm...

Extravagance's picture

This story is set in the 1960's, right? What's with the references to Wiis and ipods and internet?

Catfolk Pride.PNG

I did that?

Sorry I may have gotten this story mixd up with one of the others. I will correct that. I am so sorry.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

So You Want To Be A Girl, Do You - Chapter 3

Was it not during this time that cheerleaders, majorettes, and dancers started to wear outfits that had short hems to display hosed legs? And how qill Stephanie hide her bits?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

You would be surprised at how

well Stephanie could hide her "bits" as you put it. Just wait, there is a lot more to come, and it is going to be a ride worth taking. Some may say it is impossible for that time, but memory and research do a lot to confirm what I say in my stories. Stephanie is having fun. Stephanie is a precocious little girl, who is just happy now that her family has accepted her; at least grandpa Jack, grandma Dolly, aunt Caroline, and uncle Johnny. Her birth mother has yet to see her in a dress. But that is also coming up. Like I said, Stephanie thought her birth mother was the baby sitter and that aunt Caroline was her mother, because she had lived with aunt Caroline for 9 years, since she was 2.

The only reason that this is fiction and not the second book of Chrissie, is that there are fictional moments here. And as usual I leave it up to the reader to decide which is memory and which is fiction. Thank you all for reading and commenting on all of my stories. It is greatly appreciated, even if I do get defensive sometimes. :-).

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Time travel ?

"Everything that was done, was done by physical labor. They didn't have automobiles, or wii machines, or iPods or internet." .......The story is in 1961 ....yes?

perceived inconsistency

The story is set in the 1960s you have her reference " IPods" internet and the "Wii" things that will not occur for 30 years and then you have her see a time travel movie (one of my favorites by the way reference my screen name) I thought she may have been doing some trips in Mr. Wells machine. I have enjoyed the story so far, it was not meant as negative criticism I was just pointing out a perceived inconsistency if I was mistaken I apologize.

NIce

Renee_Heart2's picture

Steffiny is defantly in her element. Glad she stood up to her mom. Now she can be her true self those two boys will find out the meaning of the word stay away in Juvy. I'm glad Steff & her mom get along so well sometimes there is just that mother daughter relationship. Now Steff gets to go to a slumber party next weekend Look foward to chapter 4. Keep up the good work.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

abbreviations

I should note that abbreviations such as TGIF and TTFN are more recent things. If memory serves the saying Taa Taa for now wasn't even coined in the 1980s.

time travel

Your story at this time has time skips and compaciticficaton.

For example they may dinner to not have to go out to eat then they are in the same day going to get a big boy to share.

another example is Stephine is going to visit her mom at the restaurant (mom's 2nd job), and then that scene is gone.

So, if you can find the time, this story need some love and care. Plus, some minor editing.

growingup.jpg
"Sometimes you need a little space to grow up or start over"- Me

Enjoyed the chapter..remember

Enjoyed the chapter..remember watching the time
machine of Frazier Thomas's family classics.

alissa