Father Christmas’s Wondrous Present

Printer-friendly version
Arthur stood in line waiting–not very patiently.

His mother held his hand tightly as the queue inched forward–far too slowly for Arthur, who was fidgeting so much, it was as if he had Saint Vitus’ Dance or ants in his pants.

 

~ §~
 
Father Christmas’s Wondrous Present
 
By Susan Brown

 
~ §~

Angel

 
 
Arthur stood in line waiting–not very patiently.

His mother held his hand tightly as the queue inched forward–far too slowly for Arthur, who was fidgeting so much, it was as if he had Saint Vitus’ Dance or ants in his pants.

It was Saturday and the shopping centre was packed, as it always was on Christmas Eve–and many previous days too.

The place was full of decorations, twinkling lights, tinsel, colourful Christmas Trees and jolly Christmas music. Lots of parents and children were doing last minute shopping on this final day before Christmas.

All the children were excited, none more so than little Arthur.

Smells of roast chestnuts, cinnamon, mince pies and other festive things filled the air and warmed young Arthur’s heart–a heart that had ached more this year than any other.

Arthur had got up that morning, knowing that this was going to be a special day. He had waited 364 days since he last went. It was a bit of a disappointment last time, as was the time before that. He couldn’t exactly remember much of the year before, as he was only five at the time but he did remember his intense disappointment when nothing happened.

Now he was seven and he wanted to try as hard as possible for things to go right this time. He was getting worried though, as several of the kids at school didn’t believe. Arthur still did believe though, because he needed too.

The queue moved forward and Arthur jumped up and down and went to the side to see how much longer he would have to wait.

There was a bit of a crisis when he just had to go to the toilet, but a kind lady with a little girl held their place and Arthur didn’t have to go to the back of the queue and start all over again.

It was getting a bit late now and it would surely be closing soon? How soon, Arthur dare not ask his Mummy, but he had a feeling that he might just get there and the doors would shut and he would miss this opportunity.

His heart was full to bursting. He had waited so long for this. When you are seven every day seemed like an eternity and every minute in this queue seemed like an hour.

They were opposite a window with a display of girl’s clothes and he sighed. He could see his reflection and it was all wrong. Such a silly, stupid mistake that should have been sorted out years ago, but hadn’t.

‘Are you all right, Arthur?’

‘Yes, Mummy–how much longer?’

‘Not long now, honey,’

‘But the shops will shut soon!’

‘We have plenty of time and please stop fidgeting like that.’

Arthur tried to stand still–he really did, but he was far too excited for that. Slowly the queue moved forward. Arthur wasn’t the only one excited and he was pleased to see children older than him, well bigger anyway, in the queue. Fancy not believing it was all true?

There were now ten children in front of him.

Nine

Eight

Seven

Six

Five

Four/Three–they were twins

Two

One!

He was at the gate now and he waited and waited. It seemed like it would take forever. He looked up at his Mummy; she was smiling a secret sort of smile–funny that.

The elf at the door was a pretty girl in a green dress and a red Christmassy hat. She smiled at Arthur and he was feeling a bit shy, but smiled back anyway.

There was a little tinkling bell sound coming from the other side of the door and the elf smiled and opened it for them.

Arthur’s little heart started racing. This was it. This was the moment that he had been waiting for–for so very long. He hoped against hope that he would get what he wanted. His Mummy led him in. He had been before, but it was a bit different from last year. They went through a sort of passage that seemed to be carved out of rock. The passage was lit somehow, but Arthurs huge eyes couldn’t see where it was coming from.

It seemed to get colder and there was snow on the floor, not silly fake snow like they had in the school play, but real, cold wet snow.

Arthur looked up at Mummy again; she still had that strange knowing smile. There was a blue glow coming from the end of the tunnel. The light grew brighter and brighter. There was a curtain at the end of the tunnel and it drew open magically as they came close.

There were wooden snow covered steps that led upwards and the light seemed to fade slightly and then change to a soft white colour. At the top of the stairs, Arthur stopped dead. In front of him, in a rock like alcove, sitting on what looked like a golden throne, sat Father Christmas, all decked out in splendid red with a huge white beard that nearly reached his knees.

By the side of him was a real live reindeer with a red shiny nose. The reindeer looked at him and Arthur could have sworn that it winked at him and then proceeded to eat some hay from a basket behind the huge throne.

‘Hello, Arthur,’ Father Christmas said in a deep and jolly voice, full of humour and kindness.

Mummy gently pushed Arthur from behind as Father Christmas patted his knee.

Arthur climbed up on the old man’s knee.

Up close, Arthur could see his ruddy complexion and slightly red nose; also he was a bit large around the tummy.

‘Prob’ly all those sherries and mince pies,’ thought Arthur.

‘Well, Arthur, have you been a good boy this year?’

‘Yes,’ he whispered, feeling more than a little shy.

‘Is that true, Mummy?’

‘Yes, Father Christmas,’ said Mummy, backing up Arthur–as a good mother should.

‘Well let’s see, you did send me a list, I think?’

‘Yes,’ replied the talkative Arthur.

‘Hmm, let me think. That’s right; there wasn’t much on it, only two things. Do you want to tell me what they were, just to remind me?’

Arthur looked at his Mummy. Now it came to it, he didn’t want to say it out loud, in case she got cross. Arthur wished that his Daddy was there, but Daddy was gone now, so he couldn’t use his strength to give him courage.

Arthur took a deep breath, looked into the kind, caring, compassionate eyes of Father Christmas and leaned forward, whispering into his ear.

After Arthur had finished telling Father Christmas what he wanted, he looked down, not daring to look up.

‘Arthur, look at me please.’

Arthur looked up at Father Christmas and saw to his surprise a tear in one of his eyes.

‘You have been a good boy and you have been through some nasty things lately. I cannot help you with one of your wishes, as your father is in a better place now, but is looking down upon you and watching out for you as your Mummy and sister Julie are. The other wish–well I cannot say, but you are a good child and good children deserve good things. Now off you go with your Mummy and go to bed nice and early and see what tomorrow brings. Oh and tell your sister that that she forgot the mince pie last year and I need those to feed not only myself but my reindeer. Carrots are all very well, but you get more miles to the gallon on mince pies!

Arthur giggled at that and jumped off Father Christmas’s lap. He waved goodbye and the reindeer winked at him again as they went through another curtain and found themselves outside in the shopping centre once again.

As Mummy drove home Arthur looked out of the window and tried to see all the lights in the windows of the homes as they passed by. He wasn’t very talkative and wouldn’t tell his Mummy what he said to Father Christmas.

‘It’s a secret,’ he said.

‘Well I hope you asked for something nice,’ said Mummy.

‘I did,’ he said, almost to himself.

~ §~


When they arrived home, Auntie Janet was there. She was looking after Arthur’s sister, Julie.

Julie had been to see Father Christmas the previous week. Being a year younger than Arthur, she was ready for bed and when Mummy and Arthur arrived home, she squealed and ran up to her in her night clothes.

‘Ready for bed, pumpkin?’ Mummy asked, picking her up.

‘Yes, Mummy. Was Father Christmas good, Arthur?’ she asked, looking over her mother’s shoulder.

‘Yes, great–oh, he said not to forget to leave out a mince pie.’

‘I won’t; I’ve done it already and put it on the table by the fireplace so he doesn’t have to go far to get it.’

‘Right, young lady, time for bed.’

‘Oh, Mummmeeeee!’

‘If you don’t go to bed, Father Christmas won’t come; you know the rules.’

‘I’m going to bed soon too,’ said Arthur, not wanting to stay up longer than to brush his teeth and wash his face.

‘Well then, shoot off into the bathroom and do your stuff. I’ll tuck you in when I’m ready.’

‘Night, Auntie,’ the children said together and after a quick hug they were off–Julie to bed with Mummy and after Arthur had put down another mince pie and an adult assisted glass of sherry, he too rushed off to get ready for this, the most exciting of nights.

One last look around the cheerfully decorated room with the large tree and twinkling lights and then Arthur went upstairs.

After putting on his pyjamas and saying his prayers-the same ones that he said every night, he first looked out of the window to see if it was snowing–it wasn’t–so he jumped into bed and waited.

Mummy came in after a few minutes and sat on the bed.

‘Well, poppet, looking forward to Christmas Day?’

‘Oh yes, Mummy.’

She stroked Arthur’s brow, lovingly. ‘You’ve been such a good boy this year. Let’s hope that you get what you want.’

Arthur nearly told her then–what he asked Father Christmas for–but didn’t. Mummy had lost Daddy and she had enough to worry about.

‘Father Christmas said that Daddy is looking down at us; do you think he is too?’

‘Yes, poppet,’ she said, her voice breaking slightly, ‘and he’s very proud, I’m sure, of you and Julie for being such lovely children.’

‘I love you, Mummy,’ he said suddenly and sitting up giving her a big hug. ‘Even Mummy’s need a hug don’t they?’

‘Yes dear, they sometimes do!’ she answered with a smile, but with a tear in her eye. ‘Now settle down or tomorrow will never come.’

She kissed her son goodnight and then left the room. ‘Goodnight, Arthur.

‘’Nighty-night, Mummy,’ the now sleepy boy replied.

~ §~


Night passed by as they all do. This night was a special night though, as millions of children waited for the dawn and the presents and the fun and games.

Some wanted bikes, others dolls. Older ones (and regretfully, some younger ones too) wanted video games, CD’s and such like. A few just wanted to have a nice time and be happy.

One child wanted something special.

~ §~


Arthur woke up when his sister jumped on his bed.

‘Come on, sleepyhead, it’s Christmas!’

Arthur cracked open one eye and then the other; only to see the smiling face of Julie, as she used his bed as a trampoline.

‘Julie, I’m sleepy,’ he said as he stretched his arms out and shut his eyes again.

‘Oh come on, we have to go and wake Mummy!’

Julie jumped off the bed and ran out of the room.

Arthur yawned again, not really awake yet.

He heard the thump of slippered feet.

‘Hannah, come on! We have to get Mummy up. She won’t let us open our presents if she’s not there.’

The sound of feet could be heard heading towards Mummy’s room at the end of the corridor.

Arthur didn’t really want to open his eyes. He couldn’t stand the disappointment of his wish not coming true again!

He frowned.

What had Julie called him?

Hannah…HannahHannah––?

His eyes snapped open, and focussing for the first time, glanced down at himself.

He was wearing a nightdress.

His hair was getting into his eyes.

The room was pink and cream, so were his bed covers.

There were two beds in the room, one his, the other he recognised as Julie’s.

He got up and rushed over to the long mirror, his long nightdress flapping strangely against his legs.

He saw a girl–or was it a boy dressed like a girl? Was this some sort of joke?

He gingerly lifted up the hem of his nightdress and gasped.

He–she was a girl–a real girl!

She nearly fainted.

She went and sat on the bed brushing the hair off her face. She was a girl. Father Christmas had made her dream come true. She was whole, complete–and so happy; and,’ she said looking out of the window with a big grin on her face, ‘it’s snowing!’

‘Hannah, will you come now, we need to open our presents,’ called her impatient sister.

Hannah smiled, stood up, walked to the door, gave her astonished sister a big hug and said, ‘I’ve already got my present!’

Epilogue


Twenty four years later, Hannah and her husband Derek brought their son Mark to see Father Christmas. They had been blessed with three lovely children, one girl and two boys.

Mark had always been quiet and introverted but on the face of it happy, but there was something troubling the seven year old. Hannah knew what it was, she had heard him praying at night sometimes, and then there were the nightmares.

Mark sat shyly on Father Christmas’s lap while the reindeer munched on some hay behind.

Hannah and Derek held hands as the shy boy whispered in Father Christmas’s ear. The reindeer looked up at Hannah and winked as Hannah gave a knowing smile.

The End

Clipart

Clipart

Please leave comments...thanks

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing and pulling the story into shape.

up
243 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Subtler, I Think...

...than the story appears. There's reason here to believe that Hannah's son will be the third generation in the family to go through this.

Nice magical take on Father Christmas's lair.

Eric

This is so very sweet...

Andrea Lena's picture

‘Well I hope you asked for something nice,’ said Mummy.

‘I did,’ he said, almost to himself.

And she got what she asked for. And I got something nice as well..this story! Thank you!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Excellent Story and Masterful Writing

Those writers who are just starting out should take a hard look at this simple story.

Why is it so hard hitting? The plot is simple and has been done many, many times, yet we can't wait to read the next sentence. Why?

It could be we are enthralled because Susan manages to ask the story question immediately, and we can't wait to see if Arthur gets what he wants for Christmas.

Maybe it's because Susan jumps right into her story without paragraph after paragraph if tedious exposition. Instead she brings in what we need to know to advance the story within the context and body of the story itself. There's no wheel spinning, no describing of the sunset at the start, just . . . bam . . . the reader is immersed in action and can imagine little Arthur fidgeting in line waiting for his big chance -- and maybe worrying about Santa's reaction to his strange request.

Perhaps we love Susan's writing because she uses setting description to move her story along.

Arthur looked up at Mummy again; she still had that strange knowing smile. There was a blue glow coming from the end of the tunnel. The light grew brighter and brighter. There was a curtain at the end of the tunnel and it drew open magically as they came close.

Maybe it's because she appealed to our senses within the first few paragraphs.

It was Saturday and the shopping centre was packed, as it always was on Christmas Eve—and many previous days too.

The place was full of decorations, twinkling lights, tinsel, colourful Christmas Trees and jolly Christmas music. Lots of parents and children were doing last minute shopping on this final day before Christmas.

All the children were excited, none more so than little Arthur.

Smells of roast chestnuts, cinnamon, mince pies and other festive things filled the air and warmed young Arthur’s heart—a heart that had ached more this year than any other.

Note how we can taste, touch, hear, and see the story.

It's likely by showing us instead of telling us what is occurring, she makes us feel like we 're part of the story.

These are the simple tools of writing that Susan employs so well (with Gabi's help).

Merry Christmas to the brilliant and lovely Susan.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

You remind me of my English Teacher from many years ago!

Angie, who pointed out much the same about appealing to ALL the senses, about getting straight into it (the tale) and your other comments. Could we have had the same teacher? I cannot any longer remember her (or his) name but I remember the lesson, it is engraved in my brain!

Merry Xmas to you too, Angela, and to all of us, everywhere.

Briar

Briar

Sweet

So sweet a 2 hanky story HAPPY HOLIDAYS RICHIE2

Another wonderful tale

RAMI

Thanks for another wonderful story.

RAMI

RAMI

thanks for this story

I think i needed a little happy today. Lovely.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Thanks

A nice, happy, wonderful tale.

There ARE times I've thought that I wished I could have had a wish come true, like Arthur/Hannah. Then, I think of my current family - that would never have been had I gotten my early wish.

The wishes of some children can certainly be very profound. As others have noted, there is a lot tied up in this little story. I won't try saying again, that which has been so well said before.

Thank you,
Anne

A wonderful story!

It's been more than forty years, and so far, still waiting. Just my luck, I look like Father Christmas! I know I did something wrong!

Merry Christmas!
Wren

Father Christmas’s Wondrous Present

Yes, Faith and innocence makes Christmas special for those who believe.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Another!

Another wonderful story, Susan, as usual.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent again. I adored this tale, and, isn't Father Christmas wonderous!

FATHER CHRISTMAS

A cute little story...

LOVE YOUR STORIES and ALL OF YOU ... THANKS FOR THIS WONDERFUL GIFT >>>

Thank you, Susan

Angela Rasch said it all. I echo her sentiments.

S.

Cute

terrynaut's picture

I wonder if Hannah's mum had the same thing happen.

And I wonder if I'll be thinking of this story when I go to bed on Christmas Eve. *sigh*

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Oh to Have that Request

Susan,

Truly an inspired story. Wonderfully simple and profoundly moving. I found myself remembering my own childhood, of being told I could be whatever I wanted if I worked hard enough.

I prayed those same prayers as your hero/heroine (subject or character seems far too cold), I've worked hard. I've begged God to grant that simple request: Let me be who I am.

Still here I am so many years later, reading your stories and living vicariously through your characters. I still pray the same prayer, and I am coming closer. Hard work just isn't enough though. When I was growing up I was told all it took was working hard; nobody told me how bad it would hurt.

So I get closer, look forward to your stories, and fight back the pain and tears.

Thank you Sue for your stories, and for your willingness to tell us about what we long for in simple words and profound meaning.

Blessings to you and your's this Special time of year.

Beth

What a wonderful story.

What a wonderful story. I like how you told of Chris' desire that he kept hidden for the good of his family. The beating of the two women was terrible. At the end it was so nice that they recovered and everyone had a happy life ahead.

A very heartwarming...

...story; and a great entry in the Christmas story competition! Once again, Susan, you have done a masterful job of weaving a story which leaves us with a feeling of satisfaction!

Jenny

Jenny

Very nice

Renee_Heart2's picture

Very Orginal unlike some where the take an old poem or othere stroy as a base of theres this was orginal I liked it very much
Merry Christmas to you all
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

re:story

very nice. i enjoyed this a lot. heartwarming story.
robert

001.JPG

Thanks Sue

for yet another example of what a great storyteller you are, This was a lovely story with a sweet ending, If only real life could be more like that....Wouldn't the world be a much nicer place to live in ?..... Ah well, I can but dream....

Kirri

Now who's Winking

Twas the Night Before Christmas - - and a wink of his eye and a twist of his head; now it will always be: The reindeer looked up at Hannah and winked as Hannah gave a knowing smile.

I saved this to read at a quiet time when I knew I could concentrate on the story because I assumed it would be a wonderful story and I was right. A tale for the season and of hopes and dreams coming true.

Hooray for Hannah!

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

A wonderful Christmas story.

A wonderful Christmas story. Short and to the point, but with lots of depth and detail, well compacted and delivered.