A Christmas Sampler - Part 12

Printer-friendly version

A Christmas Sampler

a Christmas Anthology
by Andrea DiMaggio

Kevin's Story


 


Kevin walked into the church, down the side aisle and slid into the confessional. The dividing panel slid open and he heard the tired sigh on the other side.

“Bless me father, for I have sinned,” he said quickly, almost gasping for air. “It’s been a week since my last confession.”
Another heavy sigh, almost as if his voice weighed down the man.

“I dressed in my mom’s clothes….” His voice trailed off. Even then, he was sinning. He had walked from his home; fourteen short blocks. A few blocks of his neighborhood and then store fronts and fast food restaurants and an empty lot. And all the while he thought…every moment from leaving his house, about how mother would feel if she knew her son was doomed to hell for being a girl.


In an ambulance on the way to Dayton Children's Hospital

“Fuck, we’re losing him…come on, kid…don’t give up….”

“Clear….” The sound of the defibrillator drowned out the siren for only a moment.

“Shit, that was close….” The woman sighed deeply “What makes a kid do something like this? He’s barely fourteen.”

“I’m just glad he’s stable…let it go at that, Tina, unless you plan on taking up social work on top of everything else.”


Dayton Children's Hospital...the following morning...

Kevin had his head turned to face the wall. His mother sat on the side next to the curtain, holding a plastic bowl of soup.

“Come on, honey…you’ve got to eat something. I know it’s uncomfortable, but Dr. Singh is going to be in this afternoon.” She looked at Kevin’s wrists and smiled, as if her comment would make the pain go away. The gauze chafed against the wounds beneath the dressing, but the real pain lay, not beneath the gauze, but beneath the surface of his soul.

“Well, you gave us quite a scare, Kevin,” the tall man at the door said. Kevin turned and faced him and forced, if not a smile, then at least no frown.

“You know you’re very important to me, son.” The word tore against his heart like a sharp piece of metal against concrete; both for the painfully real sincerity and its inevitable hopelessness. He closed his eyes, imagining the offensive blade had been restored to his hand; another final opportunity to do something right in his life.

“Now why the tears, son? You’ll be out of here soon enough.“ The words were sincere even if they were deluded and selfish beyond evil.

“See…I told you it will get better…Isn’t that right, Father Stephen?” Kevin’s mother was glad for help with her boy; he’d been troubled lately with sad twisted perverted thoughts, and it was good to have someone to turn to.

“Right enough, Mrs. Wilde. We’ll have the lad back home and back at the rectory helping out soon enough.


Twelve years later...at the practice of Tina Andrucci, Licensed Clinical Social Worker

“What’s troubling you, Katy…you seem to be distracted today."

“Oh, nothing, Tina. I think it was just something I saw on the news this morning…about the…”

“The scandal in Boston? Yes, I saw that, too. A lifetime ago, and yet it probably hurts almost as much as it did when you were hurt.

‘”Tina? How can I be sure…I mean…It’s too late…” she smiled as she pointed to herself. She wasn’t lamenting so much as asking for a clarification; something many of us do who have similar issues.

“To turn back? I hardly think you’d want to do that, dear. You’ve been a girl your whole life. It may be that your gender made you a target, even if your gender wasn’t apparent to you. Either way, you were a girl even if your form didn’t match who you were inside. Understand?” Katy looked at her and nodded. It still remained unsettled in her mind, even if it were settled entirely in her heart. Even her mother questioned her every time they got together.

“You’re a bright young woman, and you’re a blessing as well. Keep that in mind next week, no matter what happens. I’m so glad you’re doing so well; you’ve come a long way and you should be proud.

"I don't know abut that...is it partly my fault? Did I ask for this?" She began to cry, a habit that was slow to leave even as the repair to her soul was taking time as well.

"He'd like you to think that...that he had no choice. You were a child, Katy...a child who should have been treasured. I'm not really good at this, but I remember from Sunday School when I was little....Better a man should have never been born than to hurt one of these....children....no, Katy...it wasn't your fault at all. Remember that when you go in there next week, okay?

"Okay."


In the hallway outside the Grand Jury Courtroom, Montgomery County Common Pleas Court, Dayton, Ohio...the following Tuesday... December 17...

“Are you sure you want to do this, Kathryn? We have enough already without you having to speak.” The woman looked at the prosecuting attorney and smiled.

“It’s something I have to do, Jacqui…I’m not so foolish as to hold a press conference. My understanding is that the Grand Jury Testimony is sealed, so I won’t be putting myself out there. And that’s really the point. If it was public, my presence would do nothing but delegitimize the whole thing in the eyes of a lot of people…just one more freak adding to the freak show, you know. This way I can finally tell my story without jeopardizing the many stories of everybody else.”

“Kathryn…Katy…It’s not fair that you should have to hide.” Jacquie frowned and placed her hand on Kathryn’s arm.

“I’m not worried. I’m living my life the way I had always believed God wanted for me, and if I don’t get my fifteen minutes of fame? All the better for the rest of us, yes?’ Kathryn had tears in her eyes, but she wasn’t upset at all.

“I’m very proud of you, Kathryn,” the voice spoke from the doorway.

“Hello, Father Pat…I’m glad you’re here.” She shrugged a small shrug and began to cry ever so softly.

“You’re the bravest woman I’ve ever known, Katy…I would be remiss as your pastor if I didn’t stand with you.”

“But Father…you’re going to be putting yourself in….won’t this make?”

“I served two tours in Iraq in the first Gulf War, and I have a steel rod in my leg to show for it. The ones who would be upset with me…frankly I don’t care. I’ve got to answer to God for this, even if they don’t want to. You’re a child of God who was hurt…deeply. And you still are a child of God, no matter what anyone says.” He sat down on the bench next to her and did something that one might have expected from her.

“May our God go with you in this, dear one, and may justice be served. In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen.” He smiled and kissed her wedding band. As he turned to face the door of the courtroom the tall man standing by the door walked over and held his hand out.

"Oh, Hi Jimmy...Don't worry...she's going to be alright. Your bride is made of what they used to call 'sterner stuff!" He patted the young man's wrist before shaking it.

“I’m sorry, Father Pat. I lost track. Thanks for coming and thank you for praying. I know Katy wouldn’t have gotten through this without you and Jacquie here.” He leaned over and helped Kathryn to her feet.

“I love you, Katy…we’ll all be in there with you, okay? You’ll do just fine.” He kissed her once as the bailiff opened the door and waved her in.

Next: Tony's Story

up
51 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is one of the things

littlerocksilver's picture

... only one of many that bothers me about that organization. "We cannot reveal anything that would put the church in bad light." The rights of the individuals are insignificant when compared to those of the Church. I know you suffered familial abuse. I hope you weren't subject to this also: having to confess to your protector that you sinned, and then being subjected to abuse by him as a payment for your sins. Tragic.

You have made a strong statement.

Portia

Portia

' Drea,

ALISON

I agree with Portia,you have made a strong statement,but a very true one.There are too many of these people in the world,
as you and I both know.God bless you.

ALISON

sterner stuff

this lady must be made of blue steel to have endured such horror, and come out the other end to face her tormentor with wisdom and courage.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

A Christmas Sampler - Part 12

Katy is truly BLESSED to have a loving husband, pastor and friend to rely on.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Why must it be so hard to be who we are?

Ole Ulfson's picture

And why must we be made to question our existence and possible guilt all our lives even though a few of us find love and happiness. at least in this story the pedophile faces justice. Usually they are just ignored and enabled like Jerry Sandusky!

"Oh, he didn't mean anything by it." has to be the filthiest phrase in the English language! Why do people protect these monsters.

Sorry Andrea, this is a wonderful story of strength, love and redemption, but it hit me in a very deep and personal place!!!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!