Chelsea Delgrosso's Night of Golden Memories

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Contests: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 






Chelsea DelGrosso's
Night of Golden Memories


At the Kopela home, Boston, Massachusetts, January 2011...

I don’t think I’d ever been that nervous before, and I sure hope to god I never get that nervous again. It was hot and you know how it says that boys sweat and girls glisten? The Prom was the big deal. Oh, I know kids don’t go to dances. Seniors really don’t go to dances, but who doesn’t go to their senior prom, right. And I was going with my former-cum-present girlfriend, pun not at all intended. I looked at my watch and noted that it was already getting late (it always gets late, by the way…)

I pulled the collar tight to my neck, trying to keep my thumbs out of the way. The problem with a rental tux is that one size mis-fits all, and the shirt was too tight around my neck. At five — five and one hundred twenty-seven pounds, it amazed me that my neck was too big.

“Maaaahhhhmmmmm,” I screamed, “I need your help.

“Just a second, Alex…Hold your horses,” she screamed from her bedroom. “I can’t believe they charge so much money and don’t iron the damn pants.” She walked quickly into my bedroom.

“And I couldn’t believe human beings still actually said, ‘hold your horses.’

“Mom….” I pointed to my waist…”You’ve got the pants which means I don’t.”

“Relax, why don’t you. You don’t have anything showing that I haven’t seen before.”

“Mom!”

“Okay, okay…here, put these on.” She laughed and stood back as I pulled the pants up my legs.

“The collar doesn’t fit…” I glanced down at my chin, but she got the point.

“Wait a second…” She ran out of the room and I heard a loud rattle down the hall as she pulled out desk drawer.

“Here…this makes it wider.” She handed me a button with a loop on it. I put it on top button and pushed it into the button hole. She handed me the clip-around bow tie and helped me with the jacket.

“Not bad, kiddo…not bad at all,” she said. I looked at my reflection in the closet mirror and saw someone I didn’t recognize; I actually looked good if a bit scrawny. I figured if I looked this good right then...maybe...

“You look stooopid,” my sister laughed from my bedroom door way.

“Not as stoooopid as saying stoooopid,” I shouted back.

“Would you two be nice to each other for once. Now, Nickie, leave your brother alone” My mother was constantly playing referee.

“Can I take the Acura?” I turned to my mother who frowned and shook her head before breaking into a smile.’

“The Ford just doesn’t say “Class,” does it?” She reached into her robe pocket and tossed me the keys.

“No later than Tuesday, okay?” She laughed.

“Okay…One o’clock,” I said as I kissed her cheek.

“You look really good, kiddo. Have a nice time.”

I skipped down the hall and out the door.

I had a crush on Chelsea since grade school, and now, finally, after weeks and weeks of asking for a second chance, she said yes. We dated last year when we were both juniors. Somehow she had felt I wasn’t her type…we just didn’t fit, and I guess it didn’t help that she was… well… different. I kept telling her it didn’t matter to me, but she just wouldn’t hear it. But I had a breakthrough. She was completely surprised when I asked her to the Prom, and surprised even more that she gave me another shot by saying yes.

The trip yo her house took almost twelve minutes, but it seemed like….forever. I pulled into the driveway and she was actually standing at the door, waiting with a big smile. I got out of the car and nearly tripped on the curb as I ran toward the door.

“Quick…come in…” She giggled as she pulled me close for a kiss. It was the second kiss of my life and it felt better than the first. Mostly because she was wearing peach lip gloss; she knows I love peach. But it was better because there was actually a second kiss instead of just the one.

“Sixteen…seventeen…eighteen…” Eighteen seconds...wow. I was in heaven...okay, I think I was in heaven; I’ve never actually been there, but if there is one, it had to include peach lip gloss and soft, greasy lips.

“I love you.” She said. It was scary and fucking wonderful at the same time.

“I’m not sure.” I said and she pouted until I added,

“If I love you…or I really love you…really, really love you. I giggled. She kissed me again…Number three; it was getting better all the time.

“We’ve got to hurry…okay?” She broke off the kiss and ran into the living room.


City Hall...Boston, Massachusetts...forty minutes later...

“You two look just beautiful.” Sandy Cabrini said as we walked into the building. I turned to Chelsea; it really was the first time I had to actually look at her. She wore an rose strapless satin wrap, which set off her dark red hair nicely. She was a tall girl at five-six but even taller in black satin pumps but with a two-inch heels, which she wore in deference to me. She leaned closer to me and put her hand on my mine, sending a spark right up my arm, causing me to shudder and laugh nervously.

“Black really suits you, Alex. You look good enough to eat.” She whispered in my ear.

“Really?” I said, looking nervously at my reflection in the door window. It was odd to see a silver belt bisecting my waist, but it was just the middle frame of the door dividing my image.

“Oh, Alex…Chelsea, you’re adorable.” Philly Mangiano said, giving us both of us a hug.

“Black…oooh…you look good! She's right...it suits you,” he said as he air-kissed me Chelsea and me. I looked again in the window. At five-six I really was sorta short and scrawny like I said. But short and scrawny in a tux is one thing; a bit taller in three-inch-heels and a floor-length black silk gown, it was more like 'short and thin and bitchin’

“Yep….” Chelsea said as she whispered in my ear once again.

"Yep?" I asked as she nibbled my ear.

“Good enough to eat.”

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I can't believe it~!

It looks like I'm first! I always love your stories!

Good enough to eat!

Hugs
Carla Ann

A floor length

ALISON

'black silk gown? Definitely good enough to eat. Thanks again 'Drea.

ALISON

Good Enough to Eat...Hmmm...

Drea...it's too short!!! This lovely little bit of confection should go on for years!!! Brava Mom!!!

Always Your...

Brat

Hi Gram...

Chelsea Delgrosso's Night of Golden Memories

Ah! The Magic of the Prom and True Love.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I Hope I Got this Right

littlerocksilver's picture

'Drea, I'm trying to fill in something. Sometimes I am a bit thick. I think this is what happened after he appeared at the door to pick up Chelsea.

“We’ve got to hurry…okay?” She broke off the kiss and ran into the living room.

I followed, hardly believing my luck.

"Mom," Chelsea shouted, "we'll need your help in a minute."

Chelsea dragged me into her bedroom where, on a padded hanger, the beautiful LBD hung from her closet door. She helped me remove the tux, giving me a couple of too short kisses. The dress was perfect, just needing a few little tucks to make it right. Her mother had helped with those. We had found the dress in a local thrift shop.

We carefully hung the tux on another hanger. Chelsea handed the strapless bra and inserts to me. I had worn them before for her when I first put on the LBD, and her mother helped with the alterations. I glanced briefly at the tux, knowing that the subtrafuge had been necessary for my sister's sake. Mom and I would explain it to her soon. Mom was so cool.

I stepped into the dress. My hips were a bit slim, but time would take care of that. Chelsea's mom did her magic with the makeup, and stepped back to admire her work. "Alex, you are beautiful. You are both so beautiful." I could see a tear or two. I was trying to hold mine back.

The weather was mild, and Chelsea draped a pashmina scarf across my shoulders, giving me a kiss in the process. She picked up her overnight bag that had been by the door. We placed it in the trunk of the Acura. The prom was going to be wonderful. The rest of the weekend could only get better. We had until Tuesday.

Am I even a little bit close?

Portia

Portia

I couldn't imagine a more wonderful scene

Andrea Lena's picture

...if I had written it myself. Very nicely done, dear heart.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Oops

littlerocksilver's picture

Change LBD to floor length black silk gown.

Portia

Portia

Warming Story for Cold Day

'Drea ... such a sweet little tidbit of an episode to warm up this old girl, shivering in the cold Wisconsin winter. Stories that bring in the excitement of a spring prom mark what a special time that was for so many of us who wished we could have lived it in a dress, instead of an ill-fitting rented tux. Hugs

Peachy

laika's picture

A sweet shoulda-been prom nite rememberance, with all the humor + quirky nostalgia of a Jean Shepard story. I was tired last night, it took me another reading to get at all what was going on, the City Hall location of the second part threw me (Was this years later and they were two girls getting married? But then why did it say 40 minutes?) because I'd never heard of a prom being held anywhere but some sock-smelly high school gymnasium.

And how did this couple go over with the other kids and the attending adults there at the dance?
Well, I hope. A night to remember (Enchantment Under the Sea, minus any major Biffery);
despite what were probably some awkward moments & a serious case of stage fright...
~~~hugs, Veronica

.
The closest approximation to what it's like in my brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u08E7c-FRbU&t=4s

very nice, but...

it is a shame she couldnt share the real her with her mom, and had to wear the tux over to Chelsea's, instead of the gown.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

But, But....

Alex is in a floor length black silk gown, so the girl in the picture, with the words "Chelsea DelGrosso's" directly below her.... must be Chelsea.

The girl in the picture looks moderately testosterone poisoned.

> I had a crush on Chelsea since grade school ..., I guess it didn’t help that she was…well…different. < So, Chelsea seems to be trans.

If these statements are true, why did Alex have to dress in a tux for the benefit... Oh, Oh, Oh, They're both Trans!!! Horrayyyy

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Tasty!!!

Ole Ulfson's picture

But Chelsea and Alex deserve To be so much more than an appetizer...

They deserve to be a leisurely 12 course dinner spread out over relaxing hours: Sweet and savory, each course with it's appropriate wine and separated by soothing palette cleansers.

These character deserve more than the story of an evening... Tell us the story of their lifetime.

Now that would be finger lickin' good!!!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!