Sweat and Tears 25

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 25
Karen was trembling with nerves.

“Look, Steve, I know I'm not that much older than you, but it would be a way of keeping the fucking social workers from getting at you if Ada goes. We've talked it over with her, haven't we, Bri, and she is happy with the idea. You've had so much shit we can't bear the thought of you having any more”

Em was grinning, and nodding in agreement, as the Jag rolled smoothly North. I slid over to cuddle up with my prospective mother, and as I reached over to join Em into the hug Brian cracked a joke about me always wanting to cuddle up with his wife, but just this once he would let it go. Tom was laughing, up until the point when I suggested he was feeling much the same about Miss Stephenson, and Brian turned to crack a joke over his shoulder just as Tom dropped his head into his hands in mock embarrassment just as the bullet went between their heads and totally shattered the passenger door window.

Brian stood on the brakes instinctively and the large bike shot ahead, the pillion in his leathers and full face helmet turning to look over their shoulder and raising a large pistol. From somewhere, I don't know where exactly, Tom had produced the largest pistol I had ever seen, and as he shouted “Keep it steady Brian” calmly shot the man in the face, through his helmet and the windscreen. His dying spasm took the bike completely off course, and a rider and an obvious corpse slammed into the road surface as the bike highsided and spat them off. Brian started to brake, as did the other drivers, and Tom just sad “NO! Keep going!”

Brushing the glass off him, he dug out the fitting I had always seen as flash and over the top, the radio telephone, and cranked it up. His voice was oddly calm, entirely dispassionate, for someone who had just killed at least one man.

“Operator....thank you. Emergency services please”

“Thank you, police.”

“My name is Tom Skinner and I am in a blue Jaguar, licence plate bravo romeo india two treble zero. I have just shot a man who attacked our vehicle with a handgun. I am North of Hilton Park services on the northbound carriageway. Nobody in our vehicle is hurt”

“I believe it is an attempt to kill a prosecution witness in a major murder trial. They were on a large Ducati motorcycle.”

“Yes, I have a licence. I am formerly of the Diplomatic Protection Service”

“I intend to keep driving until I am satisfied the vehicles near me are police”

“Thank you”

“Brian, keep on course for home. I will tell you when we can stop. Girls, Steve, eyes open, please.”

He had a small notebook out and was calmly recording the events, but I saw his eye twitch, just a bit, as I leant forward to squeeze his shoulder, the draft roaring in through the shattered window. Twenty minutes later, we saw the first blue lights, and then there were four Rovers around us, and Emily swore.

“They've got soldiers in with them!”

We were shepherded off and led to a training camp up by Warcop, to be joined an hour later by the others in Sid's car, and three days later, with plastic sheeting over the shattered window we were allowed home, where armed police stationed themselves around the place as the big boys broke in some more doors and removed a few more people with no more than reasonable force.

We went back down after the weekend to take another unexpected and totally unusual stand in the box to recount our near miss, with many more people in the dock, and after that, when we were all dismissed, and the court was settling down to the truly nasty shit that made my story look like a cake walk, the stories of blunt trauma and saw marks, of shallow graves and rose bushes, Tom muttered to me.

“Kid, thank you. If you hadn't made me blush, that cunt would have had me. I owe you”

I hugged him, which made me feel just a little like a girl, but not that much. He smiled at me.

“There are times when I realise why I took my old job, and this is one of them. Let's make sure that bitch gets buried, and all of her friends. Yes indeed....and I think it is time I stopped havering and dragged Sally out before she gives up on me, or some twat gets lucky

“Steve, I know you might not feel like it at the moment, but life is good, and even when it isn't it's better than being fucking dead, so you hang onto your lady there. She's diamond, and if you don't mind I shall have a go at your teacher, because this has got too much to bear on my own.

“And don't tell my boss I sad that, OK? You of all people know where I am coming from”

I did, and while I had never been there, this good man was having to deal with the fact that he had calmly, dispassionately, killed two men, for the rider had died from a broken neck.

He had been another policeman. The gunman had been one of my customers. What the fuck was wrong with this place?

At least, for us, the trial was over. That night, I made love to Em as Valerie had suggested,and with the judicious application, to my shame, of a number of mental images of Karen in some interesting positions, what was left of my old self woke up a little bit,and it was enough for us both to be happy, in a way, to be less of a girl.

The hormones I had spoken of in court were still vital to my health. Having stopped the intake of my natural supply by terminal surgery, I needed the replacement doses just to allow my bones to develop properly. I had continued to grow, just a little, and reached five foot five and a vital and important half, and as I ran the grounds and pounded the track I went from pallid, undernourished waif to slim, fit female athlete. Yes, that was the look I had, and there were boys who would hang round the track to ogle as I ran. How more confusing could life get?

I had persuaded Em to start jogging, and Karen took her in hand in the gym, and as we both hit seventeen she was really blooming. My Emily was beautiful, not as instantly striking as Karen, but beautiful, in a slow-burning way that cut me to the soul when she ducked her head and those green eyes looked out from under a drift of dark curls,or when those same curls lay damp on her flushed forehead as she came to orgasm with me. I realised that while she had gone with me at first partly because I was there and I was available, she stayed with me because she truly loved me, and as she bloomed into a woman that was now capable of turning heads in her own right, it was my head she wanted filled with desire.

The hormones kept me moody, though, and sometimes there would be dark times, arguments that any couple would have, but made worse by the fact that every time we did argue, I would hate my body and blame it for everything, and Em would see, and make some joke about how much she loved my tits, and do something to them that made me forget whatever it was we had argued about.

I know, really know, that Emily is at least inclined to bisexuality, but whether that was in her from the start or learned from me I can never know. One of our biggest arguments came when she first remarked, as we shopped in Debenham's for some clothes for a posh dinner Brian was having, that I would look good in some dress or other. Tom started to look concerned as my face reddened,and before my stack blew he intervened.

“Em...just remember what being n a dress means to Steve. Think of the Allisons”

I was still angry. “ I need a piss. Where's the gents' ?”

“Use the ladies' “

“I can still do it standing up, they didn't cut that off!”

“Steve, just think. I would have to come in with you, and that leaves Emily out here on her own. Use the ladies', nobody will complain.”

“Why can't I for once just be allowed to be a man?”

“Stephen Jones, if you act like this you are not being a man, you are being a spoilt brat, and you deserve to grow up better than that, so for once do as you are told and make my job easier, OK?”

I was still fuming. He suddenly grinned. “You know, you could be on Doctor Who, one of his bloody stupid assistants, companions, whatever. Every time he tells them not to go somewhere, what do they bloody well do?”

That broke the mood, and I laughed as I said “Yeah, but I'd need to practise the panting and the screaming. 'Oh–gasp gasp–Doctor--gasp gasp!' “

Em giggled. “Lover, you have the panting and the screaming down just right, in my experience,” and Tom blushed, and the next day the two of us started learning to fight.

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

allowed to be a man

“Why can't I for once just be allowed to be a man?”

Powerful words. I have said the opposite too many times to count. And it still goes on, and on. sigh.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

It's never over.

Some days are good, some days are bad, some years are good, some years are bad. That's the maths, that's the simple part.
The chemistry is harder.

And yes, witnesses were murdered as you saw in my previous comments.

Thanks for continuing Steph.

Thanks again.

I'm still enjoying it despite the occasional twitch of frustration and anger. No longer much revulsion or pain but that's no proof that it might not return at some later date.

I would never blame you or this story if it did. Words on a computer, I can manage. Any issues in that direction lie in my head.

These later chapters granting redemption, requital and apparent recovery are helping me. There can be hope and hope is where it's truly at.

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

I swear ...

... there's collusion between you and Angharad. You seem to adapting (or even adopting) each other's story lines. I suppose it's a pleasant change to have some honest violence of the old-fashioned sort as opposed to the sustained violence to which Steve's been subject over the previous 3 years but it was still a surprise to this reader, at least.

A lot of subtle and not so subtle illustrations of the problem Steve's having because his appearance doesn't match his gender. That's a common theme here, I know, but this is different and the reverse of most stories on BCTS. Em needs to learn a bit too.

Robi

The problem with Angharad*

Is that she has covered so much ground that it is difficult to write something she hasn't already covered!

*of course, there IS no problem with her.

Did they adopt him?

I thought that kind of got lost there, but I will assume they did, or that I just read it so fast I missed it. This story just drags me in. I love it!

Wren

Adoption

They only discussed it a few days before...takes time!

I have been following this quietly for some time... WOW!

What I most like is how Steve though betrayed by his alcoholic/now dead mom, several bad and even criminally culpable so-called doctors, the child welfare system and others have conspired to rob him of chance to be a man he still is fighting to be HIS version of whatever his mutilated body and tortured mind will let him become. Steve will become Steve's Steve, not some other's idea of what is best for him or for more likely for them.

He never wanted to be a girl. He always considered himself a boy even post botched herina opperation, post medically unwarented/unethical castration, post female hormones, post torture and post rape. That first psych suggesting he embrace womanhood was a fool and either not worthy of her license or had been chucked into the deep end and knew nothing of what had been done to the boy and how the boy had fought to retain his identity. If he had lost his potential to be a man due to an accident or cancer maybe that would have been a fair suggestion to bring up but after what happened to him and his still bravely insisting on being a boy... what a fool!

I like the second doc a lot more. Maybe eventually Steve may have to become a woman for his own health and welfare but it must come from within him, not forced upon him by well wishers who do not know him.

Emily has more than blossomed as a young woman, she has proven to be a true friend and perhaps soul-mate to Steven. She never gave up on him as did not Karen, his Gran and a few decent others. He has even managed to find a few glorious moments of sexual bliss with Em, remarkable given his mutilated body and all the rapes and other abuses the State essentially sanctioned and turned a blind eye to.

What I find amazing, and I understand this story is based on truth, that the very same person, just ONE person, could condemn a child to this hell of institution AND own it! Where was the concern about conflict of interest? Where was a court appointed guardian to look out for the child's welfare? If all it takes is the signature of one perverted doctor and a drunk, incapable of rational thought mother to condemn a child to mutilation and torture? Apparently civil liberties are nonexistent in the UK or were for minors at that time, period.

IF he can be given the time to heal perhaps he and Em can have a life, even children via sperm donation from his brother as that would give them a child with something like 99 % plus of what their own child would have been genetically. I fear one or both will be murdered by as yet free members of the conspiracy that allowed, even encouraged the outrages in the child welfare system or by anti lesbian/ anti freak religious nutters.

Steve and his friends deserve the chance for some measure of happiness but will society and fate allow it.

As this is a TG lit site, the *conventional wisdom* for a story here might have been for Steve to have an epiphany and endorse his new womanhood or that during surgery to correct some of the damage done to him in the rapes they might find he was interexed, thus explaining his late bloomer status, and SHE would become a complete GG woman down to giving birth. Not that either of these scenarios can't make for a good tale.

This story seems IMHO the path not taken, the real world, no happy Disney EndingTM, no miraculous sci-fi cure. Just a chance at a bittersweet outcome. Very good so far.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

As disappointing as it might seem....

Andrea Lena's picture

...since he's not much different in circumstance than a FtM transsexual, he can and should live as he chooses, just as any young transman might choose. And yes, no Disney EndingTM but as happy an ending any of us may craft for ourselves with what life has given us. I think YHO is correct; the real world can be so much more compelling and captivating, and this story may move closer to sweet and further away from bitter. Another excellent chapter.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Some comment!

This tale isn't so much based on truth than on truths. Bev has spoken at length, and I feel that she deserves rest on this point, but the 'inspiration' for the events depicted is from a range of sources, being children's homes in Wales, Ireland, England and the Channel Isles, added to the David Reimer case and the Teesside sex abuse scandal, in which teams of social workers broke families apart using a 'diagnostic tool' invented by one doctor. A similar obsession took place in Orkney, where for some odd reason, possibly a late-night watching of the original Wicker Man, the SS decided that dozens of kids were being used in rituals to conjure up Satan, or Baphomet, or Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent.

If you want to knwo about the other little system, the Borstals or Approved Schools/Youth Training Establishments/Young Offenders Institutions, try a harrowing film called 'Scum'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scum_(film)

It is set in 1979. I watched it once. Never again.

Sweat and Tears 25

You have me wondering who Emily and Karen look like.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine