Education in the Hills - chapter 27

Printer-friendly version

Hills_title.jpg


So, how do you like your Munchkin rare, medium well, or well done?

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W., Annette MacGregor and Holly H Heart
for their kindness, help, support, and input.


Education in the Hills
Chapter 27


By Penny Reed Cardon

'OH NO, it must be Bart! With all his parents’ connections, somehow he figured out where I went and he's hired this guy to get rid of me. I don't know how he found me here, but what's more important right now is, how am I going to get away?'

By the time I had figured out I should have run, it was too late to run. There was no way I could get past this monster of a man. I was franticly looking around, searching for a way out of this mess.

"You seem to be a little nervous, Matilda. Is anything wrong?" Kenneth asked.

Ignoring his question, I slowly slid off the bench and started backing away from him. As I slowly backed away, I was moving up the hall towards the showers. I knew there wasn’t any other way out, but I was desperate to put some space between him and me. I was suddenly startled by the sound of a door opening. In terror, I spun around to see what new danger was about to engulf me.

"Hi Munchkin, you finished all ready? Matilda, what's wrong?" Kimberley asked, reading the terror on my face.

Throwing my arms around Kimberley, I turned and looked back towards Kenneth. I wasn't sure if he'd still be there, but I was sure he was after me.

Kimberley followed my gaze, and asked, "Kenny, what are you doing here and what have you been doing to my friend?”

'Kenny?'

"Me? I haven't been doing anything; I swear. I'm just waiting for my turn at one of the showers. I asked this young lady if I could share her bench. We were enjoying some pleasant conversation when I figured out she's the famous Matilda that everyone is talking about. Then she started acting funny."

Looking up at Kimberley, I timidly asked, "You ... you know him?"

"Of course I know him, He taught me to drive when I was year C. Didn't he introduce himself properly?"

"They teach you to drive when you're twelve?" I mumbled.

"I most certainty did," Kenneth professed, answering Kimberley's question.

Kimberley looked at me with a questioning look, as if asking me for the rest of the story.

"Well, he did say his name was Kenneth," I confirmed. "Then he started talking about the school, and about me, and the color of my hair, and -"

"And then your imagination ran away with you, didn't it?" Kimberley interrupted.

Sheepishly I nodded, confirming her speculation.

"Well then, allow me to complete the introductions. Matilda, may I introduce Kenneth Reynolds. Kenneth, this is my friend Matilda McNeil"

"Reynolds?" I asked. "You mean he's -"

"Amanda's husband," Kimberley finished my question, answering it at the same time.

"I'm such a dope," I mumbled as I hung my head in shame.

"Yes, sometimes you are. Although from what I hear, you've had some experiences that would make almost anyone suspicious of strangers."

I nodded sadly, "Kenneth, I think I owe you an apology. I'm sorry I treated you like a monster."

"Well now, I don't think I ever been treated like a monster before. I feel more than a little grungy and I guess I'm more than a bit smelly, but that's from being cooped up in the cab of a truck for the last three days. Tell me, is this how a monster is supposed to feel?"

"Cab of truck?" Kimberley questioned, she seemed a little agitated. "I thought you gave up driving because of your heart. What are you doing behind the wheel?"

By this time Angel and Mary Beth had joined us, and introductions were repeated for Mary Beth's benefit.

"Now don't get your panties in a knot. The driver that was supposed to make this run had a family emergency. His wife is pregnant and is restricted to bed rest and their six-year-old daughter came down with appendicitis. Besides, this was just a little milk run; hop down to LA and pick up a load of technical stuff. Take a leisurely stroll over to MIT to drop them off."

"Just who's leg are you trying to pull, Kenny?" Kimberley asked sternly. "You go from Salt Lake to Los Angeles, then a cross country run to Massachusetts, and back to Salt Lake, and you call that ‘a milk run’?"

"Sure I do! There were no deadlines, nothing was perishable, there wasn't any pressure, no need to exceed the speed limit so I wouldn’t have to worry about watching for any bears. It’s a nice leisurely trip where I could sit back and tour the countryside, chat with some old friends on the radio, and then take my time getting home."

"Is that the line you used on Amanda?" Angel inquired.

"Well, that was how I started, but I could see she wasn't buying it."

"I'd have been surprised if she did," Kimberley admitted. "Come on Kenny, you know what the doctors said. Your heart won't take the stress."

"I know, I know; dumb doctors anyway. I wonder if they've ever considered how much stress being cooped up in an office day after day, can inflict on someone who's spent most of their life traveling free."

"Driving across the country is what you call traveling free? Peacefully skimming across the water in a sailboat is what I'd call traveling free," I quietly commented.

"Sailboat?" Kenneth asked, with a hint of intrigue in his voice.

"Sailboat?" Angel repeated.

"Yes, somehow Matilda and her silver tongue, talked Ellen into agreeing to get some small sailboats for the school. I don't know who they'll get to teach sailing, but I'm sure they'll find someone," Kimberley elaborated.

"I tell you what, Kenneth, you promise to take care of yourself until I'm Year C, then you can teach me to drive and I'll teach you to sail," I proposed. "Is it a deal?"

"Matilda, I've known you for a long time. Just when did you get interested in sailboats?" Mary Beth asked.

"A couple of years ago Charles was given a toy sailboat for Christmas. It was about twelve inches long with a single mast, a white hull with brown decks, and silver trim. He kept it on a stand in our room. Sometimes when nobody was home I would get it down and sail it in the bath tub. I use to imagine that I was actually on those decks. Afterward, I would carefully dry it before putting it back. If Charles had ever discovered I was playing with his boat he would have killed me.

"Anyway, when I saw the sailboats on Lake Michigan it got me thinking about some of my dreams that I knew would never come true, but I’ve started to think differently. So many things have happened in the last two months it’s been almost like a dream. And now, I suddenly find myself doing things I’d never dreamed I’d be doing. So I figured as long as I’m working on someone else’s dreams, it might be worth a try to work on some of mine. Answer me this, Mary Beth, in your wildest dreams; did you ever think you'd be singing in a choir, performing in huge auditoriums in Quebec and Toronto?"

"But, Mary Beth didn't sing in Quebec," Angel quietly stated.

I was surprised by that; I looked at Mary Beth and asked, "You didn't sing in Quebec, how come?'

I saw a tear forming in her eye as she asked, "Can we talk about that later?"

I smiled gently and nodded my acceptance of her request. Turning back to Kenneth, I demanded, "So, is it a deal?"

"But you don't know anything about sailing," Mary Beth quietly reminded me.

"I've got a year and a half to learn," I nudged back.

"A year and a half? Is that all? I'm sure I’ll hang on that long. Actually I plan on living a lot longer than that," Kenneth stated.

"Well?" I persisted.

"I don't know; in a year and a half you might be too busy to make time for a fat old man. Besides, someone like me would probably sink a small boat." The look on Kenneth's face told me he was teasing.

I stood defiantly with my fists on my hips, giving him the best look I could muster, trying to verbally scream, 'Don’t play games with me, mister, I'm serious'.

Finally he gave in. Standing, he bent down and put out his hand, to shake my hand. "It's a deal, Munchkin. Providing you grow a bit more between now and then or all you'll be driving is a golf cart or a scooter."

I suddenly felt someone’s leg cross in front of mine. Looking down I recognized the leg, "Kimberley, what are you doing?"

"Making sure you don't kick Kenny."

"Why would I kick Kenny?"

"Oh I don't know; can someone tell me why the steam table jump three inches this morning at breakfast, anyone?" she asked sarcastically. "Maybe because he called you little."

"No, he didn't. He said I would need to grow between now and then. Which is a valid statement; I do need and want to grow. He said nothing to insult me or add to the almost continuous reminders of my current, almost dwarf, stature."

"All right, who are you and what have you done with Matilda?" Angel demanded.

"She just exercising again, I wouldn’t worry about it," Mary Beth answered, laughingly.

"Exercising?" Angel asked.

"Yeah, she’s exercising those ten active brain cells of hers," she teased, jumping to the other side of Angel.

"I'll get you for that," I exclaimed, as I grabbed for her, catching nothing but air.

"Not today," she giggled, as she dashed past Kenny, heading down the hall with me a few feet behind her.

"Settle down, you two!" Kimberley called out.

With her longer legs, Mary Beth got through the double doors ahead of me with time to spare. I knew I should have been more cautious as I rushed through the doors. I was struck with a sudden attack of panic - right after my right shoulder was struck - with a snowball. Hearing Mary Beth’s laughter, the panic didn't last very long; it was quickly replaced with silliness mixed laughter, as I bent down to scoop up some snow.

Owing to the fact that I don't have a single athletic bone in my body and the fact that I can't hit the broad side of a barn at twenty yards, it was a very one-sided snowball fight. There is one thing I've gotten good at, in my few short years, and that's turning my back just before the snowballs hit me. I think that's part of my self-preservation instinct; you know, protect the face.

Mary Beth and I have had many snowball fights over the years. This one ended the same as they always have; my coat was covered in snow, there was absolutely no snow on Mary Beth, and both of us laughing ourselves silly. The only difference this time was the crowd of onlookers who were cheering and laughing along with the two of us instead of at the two of us. Several others decided to join in the fun and started tossing snowballs around, one narrowly missing Mr. Peterson's nose.

Mr. Peterson quickly put an end to the snowball war, announcing loudly, "That's enough. We don't need more than two snowgirls."

"What do you mean by two snowgirls?" Lexi, from year E, asked.

"I mean, we don't need more than two girls covered in snow," Mr. Peterson clarified.

"But Matilda's the only one covered in snow," Aaron pointed out.

"That means we do need at least one more snowgirl," Lexi called out.

"Snowman building contest in the empty field," Angel yelled.

There was a sudden mad dash towards the empty fields next to the travel center by almost all the students. As for me, I'd had enough snow for one day and headed for the bus.

"You're not building a snowman, or snowgirl?" asked Mr. Peterson.

"No. I've had enough cold for one day, maybe enough that my scalded red skin should be pink again."

"Scalded? How, where, when?" Ellen demanded, just catching my last few words.

'Where did she come from? I don’t want to go into all the details. I'm pretty sure it’s not serious and the redness will go away in a few days. Then again, there stands Ellen waiting for some answers.'

Reluctantly I explained, "When I was in the shower the water pressure changed suddenly and I was left with straight hot water. I was startled and it took more than a few seconds to get the water turned off."

"Let's have a look-see, on the bus if you please," Ellen ordered.

"It's nothing really, I'll be fine," I protested.

"Move, young lady!"

"You'd better do what she says," added Mary Beth.

Slowly I climbed the stairs, followed by Ellen and Mary Beth.

"Mary Beth, please wait here in the front of the bus and don't let anyone else come to the back. Matilda, I want you in the back," Ellen instructed.

Looking around, I was relieved to see that there wasn't anyone else on the bus, but I still protested, "You aren't going to make me take my clothes off, are you?"

"Matilda, I'm a physician first, and a psychiatrist second. Now, please show me the affected area so I can determine if medical treatment is needed."

"But what about the windows?"

"They're tinted, so no one from outside will see anything, and Mary Beth is up front to keep everyone else off the bus. Come on now, let’s move to the back and see what there is to see."

"You sound like my mom," I grumbled.

"Thank you Matilda, I'll take that as a complement. It means that we care about you."

"I know, but it's still embarrassing."

Fortunately for me, I’d had my back to the showerhead when the water turned hot. Ellen had me remove my shirt, so she could examine my back. She didn't have me take off my skirt, but she did lift the hem to look at my legs. Then came the embarrassment I feared, she pulled out the waistband of my skirt and the pull-ups to look at my bottom. If I wasn't red before I was then, red from embarrassment.

"As usual, Matilda, you've underestimated the severity of the situation. You have what I would consider border line first degree burns on your lower back, across your bottom, and part way down your legs. I'll get some ointment from the first aid kit for burns. I'm afraid a little more exposure will be required for the application."

"Ellen, no! I don't want you putting any ointment down there," I protested as I was struggling back into my shirt.

"But it must be done, and the sooner the better."

"Mary Beth could do it. After all, I helped her with her bandages -"

"Absolutely not. Must I remind you of the rules concerning study partners and being clothed in each other’s presence?"

"Well, how about Kimberley? She's had some experience with that part of my, my person."

"I don't know. I hadn't thought about that possibility. I suppose I could ask her."

"Please ask! I'd feel a lot better about her doing it."

"Very well, do you have some loose clothing you can change into?"

"This skirt is pretty loose."

"No, the waistband will chafe the damaged tissue. Anything else?"

It only took me a moment to figure out where she was heading, a long dress. All I’d packed was skirts and tops with one exception. Shyly I replied, "Just my nightgown."

"Yes, that should do nicely. You should change into your nightgown right after dinner."

I breathed a sigh of relief. I thought she'd want me in the nightgown right away. Of course, it was almost dinnertime anyway, so I guess it really wouldn't make too much difference.

"Besides the ointment, you need to drink lots of water. Even though you were burnt by hot water, your skin will still need more liquid as it heals." Seeing the surprised look on my face, Ellen added, "Yes, I know what that means. Just use the restroom more often and you shouldn't have any negative effects from the extra fluid intake."

After Ellen left, Mary Beth and I chatted until Kimberley showed up with a tube of burn cream in her hand. "Munchkin, I don't know how you get yourself into these predicaments."

"It’s like I told you before; I'd really like it if Mr. Trouble would follow someone else for a while."

"I keep telling you that Trouble is a Miss, not a Mister," Mary Beth teased.

"Mister, Miss, or whatever, trouble follows me wherever I go," I complained.

Kimberley laughingly interrupted our verbal dueling. "That's enough you two. Out you go Mary Beth, while I take care of Matilda's burns."

Mary Beth went back to her post, at the front of the bus to keep everyone else off.

Quietly Kimberley asked, "How do you want to do this?"

"I figured the least embarrassing way would be to lay a blanket on the floor and I'll lie on my stomach. Then you can put the cream where it needs to be."

"Sounds okay to me. Ellen did say you have burns on your back, legs, and your bottom"

"I know where it needs to go," I interrupted. "Just do what you need to do."

Kimberley was as kind and gentle as she had been over the last few weeks, as I knew she would. No offense towards Ellen, but sometimes a girl has to go with what or who she knows. After Kimberley was finished, I had some firsthand knowledge of what a greased piglet feels like.

Mary Beth and I watched the last of the snow-person building contest kneeling on the seats and watching through the large rear window of the bus. When most of the contestants were heading for the warmth of the busses, Mr. Peterson sent a message, thanking everyone for their patience regarding the lateness of dinner. The good news was that the roads were almost cleared and we would be pulling out right after dinner and heading back to the school.

Dinner was uneventful. Several of our friends did want to know why I changed into my nightgown so quickly after returning to the bus. I smiled as I replied, "I just wanted to avoid the crowds that will be lined up to change later."

In reply, six started blowing raspberries. There were five "Get out-a here." One sarcastic, "Oh yeah, it will be such a huge crowd," and four pillows were thrown in my general direction. All in all I think they accepted my rather lame excuse better than I’d expected.

The busses were back on the freeway heading west. It had been several hours since my unfortunate experience in the shower and the uncomfortable effects of being slightly burned had really started to settle in; even though I was greased from my neck to my knees. Sitting was becoming more and more uncomfortable. The prospect of trying to sleep in a seated position was not appealing.

Discussing the situation with Mary Beth she reminded me that even though the bus was pretty full, and we were near the back, there was an empty row behind us. It was my turn to play dumb. I couldn’t understand why that would make any difference. Wither I was sitting in one seat or another it would all be the same, a pain in the . . .

"Oh come on, you're supposed to be the smart one here."

I still had no idea what she was talking about, other than trying to get me riled up.

"Matilda, how tall are you?"

"What does that have to do with it?"

"How wide is a pair of seats?"

"I don't know."

"Well it seems to me that if we fold up the armrest, and with some extra pillows, you could lie across two seats, on your side with your knees bent, and sleep comfortably without anything rubbing your tender umm, tender."

"My tender, tender?"

"Well like, you know, a steam locomotive has a tender - behind," she teasingly snickered.

"You're a nut," I shot back, gently slapping her arm.

"And you're just discovering that?"

"No, just reaffirming what I've known for a long time."

With Mary Beth's help, and some extra padding, I had a fairly comfortable bed laid out. With our prayers said and one last trip to the bathroom, I was ready to call it a night.

"What's the Munchkin doing sprawled out over two seats?" Hope asked Mary Beth, coming out of the bathroom.

"Just being comfortable," I heard Mary Beth quietly reply.

"Dang, I wish I'd thought of that. Hey wait, there's an empty row behind Aaera and Deborah. See you in the morning," she whispered, as I heard her hustle down the aisle.

Once again I was alone, all alone on a crowded bus, trying to fall asleep on a slightly damp pillow.

December 21st

The night passed quickly, quickly and quietly. I didn't wake up until the bus was stopping at the bottom of a freeway off ramp. I must have been more wiped out than I thought, but the extra sleep sure felt good. Unfortunately, even though it felt good I slept later than I'd intended and later than my bladder was willing to wait for relief.

I silently slipped out of my makeshift bed and looked out the windows. The light changed and we started moving again. I didn’t recognize the area, but I was pretty sure we were somewhere in the south end of the Salt Lake valley. Quietly I snuck around the next seat to see that Mary Beth was still sleeping; or so it appeared. As I knelt between the seats, slowly opening my bag to retrieve some clothes and my last pull-up, I felt a hand gently stroking my hair. Looking up into the tender eyes of my friend, I thought I saw something; something I hadn't seen in a long time.

Tenderly, Mary Beth whispered, "Everything all right, Munchkin?"

In the same quiet whisper, I sorta fibbed, "Everything is fine. I just slept a little too soundly, if you know what I mean."

"I'm sorry. I was thinking about waking you a couple of hours ago, but you looked so cute, and you were sleeping so peacefully, that I didn't have the heart to wake you."

"That's okay. I'll just slip into the restroom and - you've been watching me sleep, and for a couple of hours?"

Shyly she nodded; a mischievous little grin on her face.

"Why?" I puzzled aloud.

"Because I … I've missed you. Now go change."

With another puzzle in my head, I slipped into the restroom and changed out of my nightgown and wet pull up.

Emerging, I giggled to myself seeing the line which had formed, each waiting their turn at the restroom. While I was changing, Mary Beth had put away most of the extra pillows and blankets. She left several of the pillows in my seat, I presumed for extra padding.

After I'd put my things away and gingerly climbed into my seat, Mary Beth whispered in my ear, "Feeling better?"

"Yes, much better. It's amazing what a good night’s sleep can do for you."

"How's the burns?" she whispered.

"I know they're there, they hurt like sin, and sitting down isn't very fun, but I guess they don't hurt as bad as they did last night."

"That's good, means I can give you a hug later."

"Okay, but only a little hug. We don't want to make the burns worse."

Glancing outside I was surprised by where we were. "Hey Mary Beth, do you know where we are?"

She looked out for a few seconds before her eyes lit up, as she recognized our old stomping grounds.

"This is Seventh East, and we're coming up on Liberty Park," she exclaimed.

Hope's head popped up above the seat in front of me. "Liberty Park, you mean your Liberty Park? The one you told us about?"

"That's right. We're about six blocks south, it'll be on the left side very soon," I confirmed.

"Hey guys, this is where the Munchkin and MayBee grew up," Hope called out.

"Really, this is where they're from?" I heard Howard call back, from somewhere up front.

"Yes really. The park they told us about is just up ahead," Hope called back.

A few more green lights and we were passing Liberty Park. "MayBee, our favorite place to talk is empty and waiting for us."

"Of course it's empty, it's four days before Christmas, and there's two feet of snow on our little hill.

"Speaking of snow, how much snow do you think there is at the Manor?"

"I don't know. I'd say there's enough snow that you can stand up in the middle of the field without being seen."

"Oh, that's a safe prediction. There was that much snow there before we left."

"That's why there should be at least that much snow now. After all, we've only been gone for eight days. Just how much do you think it could snow in eight short days?"

"Oh, I don't know, another foot ... maybe two."

"The snow monkeys will be busy again, digging out the mazes and adding to the castle."

"True, but they're doing such a good job on that castle. Maybe the school should enter a team in the International Snow Sculpture Championships," I thought aloud.

"Do you think they'd actual send a team from the Manor to the snow sculpture contest?"

"Probably not. Not much educational benefit, and they wouldn't want a group of students or the school given that much publicly. Maybe after they graduate a group could get together and go have some fun."

As we were passing Hoggle Zoo I couldn’t help but notice how much snow was there. So much had happened since we went past the zoo on our way to the Salt Lake airport, eight days ago that I couldn't remember how much had been there before. It did seem like there was a lot more snow. Regardless of the amount of snow at the zoo, the trip from the zoo to the Manor's main gate, usually took thirty minutes. This trip took almost an hour to cover the same distance.

I don't know if it was just me, but I had a feeling of giddy excitement as we passed through the Manor’s main gates. I felt a mixture of joy, relief, and an awakening of other feelings that I couldn’t describe. I suppose it was how someone would feel when they come home after a very long absence.

'That's it, it’s coming home. A few days ago I thought I’d never see these wonderful old buildings or any of my friends ever again. Now, here I am, home at last. I can’t imagine any place in the world that has, or could ever look so beautiful as the hills and valley that I’ve come to know as home.'

Our bus came to a stop just behind the other bus, which must have taking a different route. Everyone collected their respective travel bag and headed for their rooms. As I disembarked, I was greeted by the flagpole. I was almost in the very spot where I had tackled Mary Beth those many months ago, or had it only been a few days ago. So much has happened, it seemed like it could have been months.

The overall mood seemed to be a bit subdued as everyone headed towards the administration building and then to their respective rooms.

'I think everyone is simply tired of traveling, grateful to be off the bus, and is looking forward to sleeping in their own beds.'

After dropping the bags in our rooms, everyone from year A gathered in the lounge for the ritual checking in and out of the PDA's. Before Aaron had completed the exchange process, two of our group had fallen asleep on the couch, where they'd collapsed. The rest were quietly leaving, with the intention of following the first two into dreamland, but in the comfort of their own beds. As Mary Beth and I were leaving the lounge, all the PDA's beeped, alerting everyone of a change in schedule. ‘Choir practice from 2:00 to 5:00 pm’

"Oh well, at least we can sleep for a few hours," an exhausted Mary Beth complained.

"What about breakfast, or lunch," I asked.

"Sleep first, food l a a a a a a a … later," my silly partner added, accentuated with a big yawn.

"All right, who are you and what have you done with Mary Beth?" Jenny asked from behind us.

Mary Beth replied simply with a silly grin and a shake of her head. Then she took my hand and we headed for the stairs.

Once we were in my room Mary Beth let go of my hand. Heading for the interconnecting door she mumbled, "I'm going to change and then I I I I I I … I’ll be back." Yawning.

As Mary Beth reached the door my PDA went off, beeping continuously. Turning, and almost falling down, she asked, "Now what?"

"It's an urgent message," I replied, recognizing the beep pattern. Looking at the screen it read, "Dr. Harris wants to see me."

"Now?"

"That's what it says, right now."

"But I need some sleep. I hardly slept at all last night."

"Its okay, MayBee, you go to bed and I'll go see what Dr. Harris wants."

"But I have to sta a a a a a ... ay with you, protect you."

"It’s all right," I said, putting my arm around her waist and helping her to her bed. "We're home. No one is going to hurt me while we're at the Manor."

"You sure it's o o o o o o o okay?"

"Sure I'm sure. You get some sleep and I'll tell you everything Dr. Harris says, later," I said, as I laid her down. I slipped off her shoes and stockings, and pulled the blanket from the other side of the bed to cover her.

"But I need to change first," she protested against my actions.

"I don't think you're awake enough to change your clothes. You just have yourself a nice long nap. You can change and shower later."

"Whatever you say," she mumbled, her eyes already closed.

I kissed the tip of my finger and lightly touched the end of her nose, whispering, "Sleep tight, my love."

I don't know if she heard me or not. I know she didn't respond, and I know she was sound asleep before I closed her door.

The trip to the hospital was short and cold. I was surprised to find there was nobody behind the reception desk as I entered the small lobby, I thought I was expected. Taking advantage of the situation, I quietly snuck up the back stairs and slipped into Rachael's room. She wasn't paying attention and I was able to sneak right up to her bed without her noticing me.

"Hi Rach," I said a little loudly, starting her.

"Matilda!" she screeched. "Don't do that."

"Sorry Sis, I just couldn't resist. So how are you doing?"

"I'm doing okay, I guess. I'm bored out of my mind, but other than that I'm okay. I see you're back to your old self, no more diapers then? I thought you were supposed to be back yesterday, what happened?"

"We got stuck at a truck stop in Nebraska for a day. The roads through Montana were closed because of a heavy snowstorm. As for the diapers, I don't want to talk about it."

"Yeah, I know what you mean. I was semi-forced into wearing them long before you were. Learning to not use them is going to be the hard part."

"I know what you mean. Well, at least we can talk to each other about them and not be embarrassed."

"Yeah, lucky us. Instead of just being twins, we can be the diapered twins."

"Sort of."

"What do you mean … sort of?"

Before I answered Rachael's question, I went over and closed the door. "I'm not actually wearing diapers, I have these silly pull-up things until I can retrain my bladder muscles," I explained, lifting my skirt.

"Those aren't too bad I guess; at least you can change them yourself."

"Yeah, that’s a plus."

About that time I received another message on my PDA. It was from Dr. Harris wanting to know where I was.

"I have to run, Sis. Dr. Harris wants to see me about something."

"What about?"

"I guess about the first degree burns on my back."

"The what?"

"I'll fill you in later. Right now I've got to run."

"Okay. Come back soon, the nurses are terrible talkers."

"Will do. See you later Sis. I love you."

"Love you too Matilda."

As I left Rachael's room, I ran into Marie.

"There you are. You do know that Dr. Harris is waiting for you don't you downstairs in examination room three?"

"I knew he was waiting for me, but I didn't know where. There wasn't anyone downstairs when I got here, so I thought I'd say hello to Rachael."

"I see. Well, now you know where you're supposed to be. You do know the way, don't you?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Very well then, off you go."

I hurried down the stairs, rounded the corner to the right, and went through three doors. A little out of breath, I opened the examination room door.

"There you are, I was beginning to think you got lost in one of the snow banks."

"I'm sorry for keeping you waiting. When I walked into the lobby there wasn't anyone around, so I went upstairs to say hello to Rachael."

"No harm done. Have you been to the restroom lately?"

"It's been a little while. Why?" I nervously asked.

"I want to run some tests and need a urine sample. Take this cup to the restroom across the hall and do your best. Just leave the sample on the shelf behind the little door in the wall. Then come back here, take off all your clothes and put on this gown. You got all that?"

"Yes, I've got it. Everything?"

"Well, it will be hard to see where you're burned with your clothes on. Don't you agree?"

"I suppose," I grumbled.

"Relax Matilda; this will be over before you know it."

"Could we not do it and say we did?"

"No. I'm afraid not. Come on now, across the hall with you. You don't need help collecting a urine sample, do you?"

"OH NO. I can take care of that on my own."

"All right then; I’ll see you in a couple of minutes," he said with a little chuckle.

Okay, I gave them what they asked for. You want more details; go see your own doctor.

There was one good thing about this whole experience, the gown was adult size; it covered me from my neck to my toes and wrapped around me twice. Although, I knew that being completely covered would be a temporary condition, I figured the unwrapping could be interesting.

I didn't have to wait very long before there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," I quietly called out.

The door opened, admitting Marie and Dr. Harris.

"I didn't ask you before, how are you feeling today?" Dr. Harris inquired.

"Nervous," I admitted.

"That's understandable under the circumstances. Outside of being nervous how are you feeling?"

"Overall, I feel pretty good. I slept pretty well last night, so I'm not as tired as most of the others. My back and legs hurt all the time, but not so bad that I’m screaming or anything. The real problem is when I have to sit down."

"From what I heard, you managed to stretch out over two seats on the bus last night. The report I received indicated that you appeared to be very comfortable. As for your back, legs, and bottom, I guess that explains why you're standing. Your burns are our first concern for today."

"Your first concern? What else am I here for?" I nervously inquired.

"Well, according to Ellen you’ve been troubled lately about the fact that your body has become vertically challenged. She asked me to look into the matter. Have I been misinformed?"

"No, I guess not," I mumbled.

"Very well, let's take a look at your back, shall we? Why don't you climb up on the table and lay on your stomach," he requested.

I did as he requested, that's when the fun began. Remember how big the gown was? As Dr. Harris tried to pull the gown loose, he almost rolled me off the table. After tugging a few times and almost dropping me on the floor twice more, he asked Marie for assistance. Between the two of them they managed to get one side loose along with some groaning and complaining from me. That's when they discovered that it wrapped around again.

"Good heavens Matilda, what have you wrapped yourself in? You really don't want to be examined, do you?" Dr. Harris exclaimed.

"This is the gown you left for me," I assured him. "I was a little cold so I kept wrapping until I ran out of gown."

"I don't know about that, it seems more like you've wrapped yourself in a bed sheet."

"This does look like one of our standard gowns, doctor," Marie added.

"Marie, the next time Matilda comes in for an examination, see if you can find her something more appropriate for her size," he pleaded.

In the end, they had me stand on the examination table so they could peel me out of my protective cocoon.

Dr. Harris gave me the onceover, and then he onceovered me again. He poked here, pushed there, asking if this hurt or that hurt. Finally they covered me up. Then Dr. Harris sent Marie for a tube of stuff to go on my burns. For the second time in two days I had the privilege of feeling like a greased piglet. After being embarrassed and slimed, they left so I could get dressed.

After I was dressed and was trying to sneak out; Marie caught me and escorted to a tall chair with an extra arm that she swung around in front of me. It reminded me of a child's highchair and made me a little nervous.

"What's this for?" I asked.

"This arm? It's so you can't run away when the vampire shows up to suck your blood," she said with an evil smile.

I knew better than to fall for that one. Putting a terrified face I pleaded, "Nooo, not the vampires! I'm too young to become part of the walking dead. Oh wait, that’s what they call being turned into a zombie, isn't it? What do you become after you’ve been bitten by a vampire?"

Marie was having a hard time getting out the things she needed, because she was laughing at me so much. She had finally collected what she needed and turned back to face me. Still giggling, she informed me, "I don’t know what you’ve become, but I’ve heard that a slang term for a vampire would be a nurse with a needle. Do you have a preference as to which arm I stick?"

"Um, no. No preference at all, as long as it isn't one of mine."

"Come now, Matilda, don't tell me you're afraid of needles."

"Afraid, no. Dislike, most definitely. Hate, very probably."

"I'm sorry, but I do need several vials of blood for some tests."

"I know, I know. Just take what you need, but remember that I’m kind of small, leave a little for me," I told her, holding out my left arm while covering my eyes with my right hand.

You know the drill, so there’s no point in me describing all the details. But after Marie wiped my arm with the alcohol, had the needle in her hand and was about to strike, I let loose with a blood curdling scream.

"Matilda, I haven't even poked you yet," Marie said, wondering why I'd screamed.

"I know. I was just practicing."

"Oh you!"

"Besides, I figured if I got it out of my system before you - OUCH that smarts."

"True, but I really don't think it warrants such a scream?"

"Oh, I guess not. How much longer am I going to be privileged to wear your stick pin?" I jokingly asked trying not to look at the needle or move.

"About another thirty seconds if you're good. If you're bad, I could leave it in until after you talk with Dr. Harris."

"Why do I need to talk with Dr. Harris?"

"You need to talk with Dr. Harris because he wants to talk with you. If it wasn't important, he wouldn't have asked to see you."

I was about to ask another question when Marie announced, "There we are, all done." She extracted the needle, followed by the wrapping of some stretchy stuff around my arm.

Marie escorted me to Dr. Harris' office, effectively preventing any side trips.

"Hello Matilda, come in. You don't need to sit down if you don't want to, we shouldn't be very long."

"Hi. Am I going to live?" Knowing that doctors can sometimes be long winded, I gently sat on the edge of an overstuffed chair.

Chuckling, he answered my sarcastic question, "Most assuredly. You are going to be around for many years to come and be a joy to us all."

"I think I'd prefer to be a Matilda. Why would I want to change my name to Joy?" I teasingly asked.

"OK, OK. That's enough of your silliness," he complained laughingly. "We need to talk about two things; first, your burns are a little more serious than Ellen led me to believe. I didn't notice any scaring when I examined you at Primary Children’s, but then I really wasn't looking for any. Do you remember ever having been burned before?"

"No, not that I remember. You'd think I'd remember something like that."

"That's strange. These are some fairly fresh scars on your buttocks, I'd say less than a year old."

"Less than a year old?" I timidly questioned. "Maybe you should talk with Ellen about them. She seems to know more about that time in my life than I do."

"What?"

"I know it sounds strange, but trust me on this one."

"Whatever you say. As for your current situation, you need to have the cream applied twice each day. I’ll have Marie make room in her schedule for you. Would you prefer to come here, or to have it done in your room?"

"If it's all the same with you, I prefer you just give me the tube of cream and I'll arrange for someone I'm more comfortable with to put it on me."

"Are you sure? It must be done twice a day. Do you have someone in mind that will take care of it for you?"

"Yes, I think I know someone who might be willing to help me."

'Just don't tell Ellen that it's Mary Beth.'

"Very well, I'll arrange to have a tube delivered to your room this evening. Most of the tube should be used within one week’s time. I'll want to see you in one week to see how you're healing, all right?"

"I guess I can come back in a week. That may be difficult. My schedule is so full that I may have a hard time fitting you in. Should I just come in any time or -"

"I'll schedule an appointment," he interrupted with another chuckle. "It'll show up on your PDA. I'm also going to send out a medical order to the staff exempting you from wearing the school uniform until the burns have healed."

"But I like the school uniform," I complained.

"Nevertheless, your waist won't like the elastic waistband."

"So I'm supposed to wear nightgowns all day?"

"That would be one option. Personally I'd recommend the long dresses that have a belt around the waist. Only, leave off the belt."

"Oh yes, I remember seeing them. There were three if my memory is correct. A blue one, a green one, and a pink one. Without the belt they won't look very good. It'll be sorta like wearing a gunnysack."

"Maybe, but I'd have to ban the gunnysack as well. Too course. Think of it more in the line of a Hawaiian mu’u mu’u," he added, with a chuckle.

"So, for the next couple of weeks, I get to be the smallest little old lady around, wearing nightgowns, robes, or mu’u mu’u's. Some fashion statement I'll be making."

"I'm sure you'll survive. The second item we need to discuss is your incontinence."

"My what?"

"How to put it delicately," he whispered, more thinking aloud than speaking to me. "Let's say, your current need for special undergarments."

"Oh, the diapers," I grumbled while examining the carpet pattern between his desk and myself.

"I wouldn't have put it so bluntly, but yes. You see, I do talk with Ellen, so I know of your dislike of such a garment on your person. I also know how much you are troubled by the fact that they are currently necessary. I understand that with Kimberley's help, you've made great strides in correcting the situation, is my information correct?"

"Pretty much. You do keep yourself up to date."

"I do try. So, why don't you tell me how you think you're doing?"

I gave him a rundown on what I'd been doing to regain control of my bladder, along with my triumphs and failures. It seemed to me that there were more failures than triumphs, and I was getting a little depressed about the situation.

"Now Matilda, I don't want you to be depressed. I think you're doing very well. After all, you've only been at it for, what's it been, three days?"

"Today is the sixth day," I corrected.

"All right, six days. I still think you are doing very well. In addition to what you're doing, timing and trying to produce a flow when you want, I want you to add something to that. Once you've established a flow, I want you to try and stop the flow, and then restart it."

"You want me to do what?"

"Once you've got a flow of urine going, exercise the muscles even more by trying to stop the flow. It is called Kegel exercises. By doing that, you should regain muscle control sooner, rather than later. You understand now?"

"Oh yes, the second time around made it very clear. I'll do anything to get out of these things," I complained, while patting my waist.

"All right then, that's all I wanted to talk about." Looking at the clock on the wall, he continued, "I believe you're missing lunch and Mary Beth is probably worried about you, so you had better get going."

"Mary Beth's not worried about me ... she zonked out before I came over here. I'd better get her a sandwich or something to eat when she wakes up though. Otherwise she's liable to eat me. See you next week."

I left Dr. Harris chuckling as I headed for the cafeteria and a decent meal. Not having stopped for breakfast and rushing around after we got back, I hadn't had anything to eat since dinner the night before.

* * * To Be Continued * * *

Comments are gratefully appreciated, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

up
218 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Education in the Hills - chapter 27

I would love to see Matilda: The Mummy Munchkin. And glad to see things returning to their normal state.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

THANK YOU Penny,...

sonai67's picture

Thank You Penny,

I have been wondering when we would get a new chapter for Matilda, this was a good one... I am glad she isn't totally burned up too... I like the reference to being over wrapped with the hospital gown, and the doc trying to un-wrap Matilda.. that was cute...

I look forward to seeing the next installment on one of my favorite storys here, The SPA Universe is for me a good memory of my childhood dream, of being accepted too.

HUGE HUGS and thanks...

your Fan

Sonai67

Sonai67

Yes! Matilda's humor is alive and well!!!

Now if we can keep her from sliding out of the bed while she sleeps, she just might make it.

Hello Penny!!! ^____^ ;-D

Thank you for another wonderful chapter. I hope Salt Lake city didn't get snowed in too much. I remember one story that came out during a Spring thaw in Salt Lake City. There was too much snow and ice melting one time, it overflowed the banks of the nearby rivers. Therefore, the city engineers quickly devised a bunch of sandbags and barricades to have the water run down the street of the city. That was some smart planning to do . . . . for once by a group of city government heads.

Well take care now and have wonderful week. Sealed with lots of hugs and cold noses!! 'acchhooo!' I hope this 'code seathon' endth soonnth!! sniffle!!! sniffle!!!

Rachel

Matilda's sillyness

Great chapter Penny,

After the cliffhanger you threw at the end of the last chapter, you left us hanging long enough. ;-)

The way Matilda recovered her spunk after being formally introduced to Kenneth, was wonderfully funny. But her antics with Dr. Harris and Nurse Marie had me howling with laughter.

After spending close to a month in close contact with Kimberly - what with the "Sally the Munchkin" role-play and the rescue operation in Quebec - I am NOT surprised that she prefers to have Kimberly treat her burns, and I would not be surprised if Kimberly gets recruited to do the honors twice dayly.

Please get well soon, so that we can learn why Mary Beth did not sing in Quebec.

Jessica

How fun to have another

How fun to have another chapter of Matilda to read. She still has a wicked sense of humor apparently, and does love to use it on others.

She's at it again

Renee_Heart2's picture

Matilda is up to her usual tricks & quick whit. Hate that she got burned & her scars are intresting too look foward to reading whats up with them. As for the cream I think Matilda would want Mary Beth do do it but Kim would be the second choice. I hope that her growing problem is something they can fix.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Great to see

A new chapter. I missed this one by 3 days... Oh well, I've been busy reorganizing my desk (Which has led to no computers being on it for a few days...) .

The gown was funny. and it gives an idea as to Matilda's size. (E.G Very tiny...) I know that I *should* know about the scars on her back side that are less than a year old having just recently read both Raised in SLC and Hills, but the details are escaping me at the moment...)

Samantha

The Munchkin's Scars

I want to thank everyone for their continued support. I'm deeply moved by your replies and comments. It is gratifying to know that so many of you find pleasure and enjoyment from my humble offerings.

After my recent hospital experience, spending sometime in out patient surgery; comparing the size of my gown and the size of the children that were there for other reasons. It is easy to imagine wrapping an adult gown around Matilda's small frame many times. As for the explanation of why Matilda hasn't grow since she was 8, that won't be relieved until the school returns home from their visit with Hayfield. Sorry but I'm still working out the details and research. As for the scars on her back side; don't spend too much time pondering, they are just remnants of her time in the white van, of which she has little or no memory. They are just some small details that help add to the depth of her character and help to bring her to life in my mind and hopefully yours.

Thank you again, my dear friends.

   
Huggs & Giggles

Penny Reed Cardon

Count me in

Just got through reading "Raised in SLC" and this wonderful story, straight through. You mentioned a couple of times that you had 12 faithful readers. I would guess there are a lot more than that, even though the number of kudos, on average, won't support that notion. How someone could be so cold as to read all those outstanding chapters, filled with such emotion, such merriment, such sadness, such fright, not leave at least a kudo is beyond me.

Well, I for one, love your writing style and this set of stories. Even though it an auspicious number... you can count me as fan number 13.

Thanks for sharing you talents with us.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Motivation

Jamie Lee's picture

Sally had to be diapered to pull off the ruse. Kimberly gave Matilda lessons in how to regain control of her bladder, which adding Dr. Harris' instructions, and not wanting to wear diapers or pull-ups, is motivation enough to keep Matilda working on her problem.

Scalding by hot water is nothing to take lightly, as Matilda has tried to do. She doesn't understand how easy the burns can become infected, causing even bigger problems.

Somehow someone has to get it through Matilda's head to speak out when she encounters a problem she can't handle. And that she isn't bothering anyone when she goes to them for help.

Others have feelings too.