The Champion of Corellon Larethian and the Light

Printer-friendly version

She was born in Silverymoon to Ama’Esti’Aeriel and Tahl’Ar’Deth. Ama’Esti’Aeriel was a bard who was revered for her songs. Tahl’Ar’Deth was a powerful and fearsome warrior whose mastery of the blade was legendary. Her parents had met in Waterdeep and her father had fallen in love with Ama’Esti’Aeriel and her melodious voice. While her mother had been fascinated by his skill with a blade and fallen for his kindness and compassion.

They spent two years together carrying out her father’s ancestral mission assigned by Correllon Larethian himself, during this time they grew very close and conceived a child. Family tradition dictated that the family’s children be born in the temple and dedicated to his service. They had just reached the temple when Ama’Esti’Aeriel went into labor. She gave birth to twins to girls, Tahl was shocked that one of his daughters had red hair, he knew that it meant that she had a great destiny and that it would be a extremely hard life for her. His other daughter was just as he had expected and he felt relieved that only one of them was marked. They dedicated them both to the service of Correllon Larethian and baptized them in the holy water of the temple and noticed the forest animals had come to watch, and then they took them home.

As they grew Ferai their red haired daughter exceeded all others in strength and speed, while Tia proved to be exceptional at mastering the magical arts. Ferai was an exceptionally quick learner and Tia had a great memory that could retain all the information that they took in and apply it perfectly. Ferai had a beautiful voice that sounded like bells trilling in delight at their own laughter, her mother realized that she had inherited her gift and at the same time Ferai began to try to lift her father’s blade and that’s when they decided it was time to begin her training.
She quickly mastered all the lessons taught to her by her mother and father. She was practicing one day when she heard a song it sounded like it a bird, though she had never heard this one before. She went outside to look for the cause of the sound and saw a white raven. She was surprised, because she had never seen a white raven before. She watched while it sang and still singing pounced on its prey. She realized that the bardic arts and those of the Warblade could be combined into one new powerful form. She decided to name this style after her inspiration the white raven.
She practiced many hours to create her own style, it took her several months to perfect it, and when she had perfected it, she went to her father and asked for a blade of her own that reflected her own form.

Her father gave her the family’s heirloom passed down through the generations for 3000 years from Correllon himself, an exquisite elven courtblade whose name had been lost. The blade is rumored to have special powers that only show themselves to a worthy chosen member of their bloodline. Her sister tried to add an enchantment to it allow it to resonate with her songs, but she could not. However as soon as Ferai took hold of the blade she felt the urge to sing and so she began. When she stopped singing the blade continued to carry on her song and she was impressed.
Now that she had a blade of her own, the next stage of her training, her actual combat training. She began to spar with her father every day; he usually beat her soundly because of her lack of combat experience. She began to learn to anticipate an attack instead of reacting. She learned to follow the most minuscule of muscle movements to discern the direction someone would move and determine the direction their blade would come from. It took her two long and difficult years of relentless training before she was able to finally best him in combat. He said, “You have learned all that I can teach you.” Go and see your mother and finish your instruction with her.

Ferai you must look deep within and find the power I know you have to inspire your allies to greater heights. It took her several days’ effort, before she found the core of power within herself. Her mother said, “Now that you have learned to tap that power I will teach you a secret gained from our heritage. Take hold of the power and bend it to your will, now twist it and feel yourself change its nature to pure energy. Now strike the stump to see if you have performed the technique correctly, if you have it should be utterly destroyed.” Ferai struck and the stump was riven in shards. “You have learned all I have to teach you, when you are ready you can set out to experience the world for yourself. However, before you go, we would like to speak to you, meet us tomorrow at the temple.”

She went home to pack and got her gear together and some of those things she most treasured that she could take with her. The next morning she rose at dawn and went to the grove. Her parents were waiting for her by the altar and her father went to a torch and twisted it. A secret passage opened in the wall and he led them down a flight of stairs. When they reached the bottom they proceeded through a door with the symbol of Corellon Larethian, a silver crescent moon. Behind the door was a wooden mannequin arrayed in armor with a blue cape and his symbol embossed on the armor and the cape. She was speechless, her father began, “These have been worn by his chosen heroes for the last three thousand years, you are one such hero your fiery red hair marks you so.

Several items caught her eye. One of them was a gleaming set of pale green chainmail that seemed to shimmer; another was a helmet with the crescent moon emblazoned upon the helm. There was also a pair of bracers and iron-backed gauntlets with two rings upon the fingers, a pair of boots that looked elven made. A tunic that looked to shift colors as she watched, a silver crescent moon shaped pendent and a belt with a crescent moon shaped buckle. She took another look at the cloak and noticed in seemed to shift in and out of focus as if it really wasn’t there. On brackets on the wall behind it was a magnificent bow and quiver, an exquisitely decorated elven lightblade and thinblade and a sheath that she realized must be for the blade she was already given.

“We will help you to don the gear her mother said,” they helped her to don the gear and after she had done so she realized the purposed of the rings and stored the gear inside of them. “She must give the oath,” her father said, grabbed a stone bowl and asking her to hold out her hand. He pricked her palm and a drop of blood fell into the bowl, repeat after me Tahl said, “I will serve to protect the elven people and to carry out his wishes with all of my strength, I will cower from my responsibility nor will I run from battle or my task.” She repeated after him and then she felt a great burden fall on her shoulders as she realized the weight of her responsibilities. She heard a voice call out, “do not let it crush you child, you can do this.”

“Your sister also has a gift for you she is waiting at the house let us go,” her mother said. When they reached their home her sister was waiting when they approached she spoke, “in preparation for you leaving us I have prepared this for you sister.” She handed Feria a bag and a spool of rope. “The bag will carry many things you may need you must only put them inside and retrieve them at need, do not put sharp objects in however. Secondly, the spool will provide you with all of the rope you could need, third let me see one of your rings.” She reached out and muttering a few words added a spell to one of the rings. “It will provide the nourisment you might need in your travels, take care my sister, I love you. “Wait,” her father said, “first you must choose your adult name,” she thought about it for a minute then said, “Ama’Ky’Ianna’Wyn, Ar’Cla’Aira’Tahl’Vanna”.

“A fit choice, you are ready to set out and experience the world on your own,” her father said. They hugged and said their goodbyes as she set out alone into the forest with her waist length mane of fiery ruby red hair streaming down behind her, as her piercing emerald eyes surveyed her surroundings.

up
62 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

new author

I wrote this so how do I get my name listed instead of new author, how do i edit my submission and how does the listing for the authors on the main page work?

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Otto Matick

erin's picture

Those things are all done by me or in some cases by one of my assistants.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

The Champion of Corellon Larethian and the Light

Welcome to the Big Closet Author Family. Like the story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Welcome

Interesting.

Ama's Pre-Adult Life...

Seems to have passed quite quickly. Are these elves similar to other author's elves, in that their life span is ten times that of a humyn? A child of the "long-life" elves, I would guess, would have dozens of decades of learning, playing, action and adventure before becoming an adult elf.

Of course, this is you story, Jaden, and your universe. I was just speculating and thinking of other's elves.

Welcome as an author here and thanks for starting an interesting story.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee