In Your Wildest Dreams!

Printer-friendly version
GettyImages-88294218-d397226db22a46708fd67adbf8da6afa.jpg

I wonder where you are
I wonder if you
Think about me
Once upon a time
In your wildest dreams

Once upon a time
Once when you were mine
I remember skies
Reflected in your eyes
I wonder where you are
I wonder if you
Think about me
Once upon a time
In your wildest dreams

Chesapeake, Virginia...

It had been just three years since the tenth anniversary of their graduation, so no reunion to attend; no fancy gowns or dancing or funny anecdotes told by gregarious class presidents. Just getting together with a few folks in town. The class secretary had rented the local Elks club meeting hall; seeing as he was an Elk and the owner of the largest Suburu dealership in Virginia, he could afford it.

She looked in the mirror, checking those pesky age lines, which were the least of her worries.

“He’s got to be there…God I hope he doesn’t show up,” she thought to herself. She quickly followed that with,

“God, I hope he shows up.”

She sighed at her image; it wasn’t at all what she had hoped for, but she did get compliments from her co-workers that she was very pretty. Accepting affirmation and encouragement had always been a problem; she never learned how because until she graduated college she hadn’t received any.

“I wish…this is so friggin’ hard…” she spoke aloud, as if her cat would respond. He did with a mere meow and a purring rub (rubbing purr?) against her legs. She was glad she decided to go with the brown suede boot, since Seraphino liked to claw her nylons.

“I love you, Phi…I just hope you’re not the only one…”

Once the world was new
Our bodies felt the morning dew
That greets the brand new day
We couldn't tear ourselves away
I wonder if you care
I wonder if you still remember
Once upon a time
In your wildest dreams

She walked into the hall, almost with her head down, but raised enough to look around for a peek. “Good… he isn’t here…maybe he won’t show up!” She sat down at the bar and ordered a diet coke; O’Douls didn’t seem to fit her mood, and Bud Lite would certainly gain a scolding from her sponsor.

“Damn…I hope he shows up.”

She kept going back and forth; stuck between fear and hope. She remembered their parting, as if it were the only important memory in her heart. It certainly was in the top five; it fit into her all-time disappointments, hurts, surprises, and things with which to justify drinking. She had gotten over drinking in part; one never gets over being an alcololic. Her surprises and disappointments had additional entries over the years, but his words the last time they spoke still stood at the top of the list of all-time heartaches.

And when the music plays
And when the words are
Touched with sorrow
When the music plays
I hear the sound
I had to follow
Once upon a time
Once beneath the stars
The universe was ours

“I can’t…I…I’m not ready for this,” he had said. Like any other stereotypical end to a relationship, he had chosen a very crowded jazz club to say goodbye. She hardly heard what he said after that, and it wasn’t just because of the loud riffs from the guitar. The first few words hurt enough that her sobbing had drowned out the rest of his explanation. He had enjoyed the relationship as much as any non-commital man could, and it left her feeling used and abandoned. The years between had done little to heal the hurt, but she had forgiven him a long time ago. She hoped it had been the same for him.

Love was all we knew
And all I knew was you
I wonder if you know
I wonder if you think about it
Once upon a time
In your wildest dreams

She had engaged in a distracting banter with the bar girl when he walked in… No cliché’d, “You haven’t changed a bit,” she thought. If anything he had grown more handsome that she remembered; salt and pepper at his temples had replaced the overall jet black hair, and he had actually grown trimmer, perhaps from a gym membership or just being smart about his overall health. He sidled up to the bar and sat down next to her.

“Oh gosh…I hope he doesn’t talk to me!” She nearly said it aloud, but managed to bite her lip as the words went through her mind. He turned to the bar girl and ordered “whatever’s on tap, sweetheart.”

Some things never change; ever the flirt, he made eyes with the girl before turning his attention to the guy sitting next to him.

“Sorry, babe, I had to stay to shoot a few extra photos for the Macy’s ad. I promise I’ll make it up to you when we get home.” He smiled and kissed the guy on the cheek lightly and squeezed his hand.

And when the music plays
And when the words are
Touched with sorrow
When the music plays
And when the music plays
I hear the sound
I had to follow
Once upon a time

She swallowed a sip of diet coke and looked at herself in the mirror over the bar.

“You by yourself?”

A soft voice came from her left and a soft hand brushed her sleeve. She turned and found herself looking into a very welcoming smile.

“Jimmy? Is that you?" The woman asked; her face very familiar.

"I wondered if you’d ever go through with it.” The woman kissed her on the cheek and continued.

“I’m so glad…I hoped you’d find your way. After Romeo over there dumped you, we all were so hurt for you. You deserved…. Well, it was a shame.” The woman actually had tears in her eyes.

“I…I’m okay. I wanted to see if…”

“And?” The woman raised her right eyebrow in question ala a distaff Spock.

“Nothing.”

“Good…” The woman shrugged her shoulders slightly and added.

“I always thought he was completely wrong for you…” She looked put her head down slightly and gazed to her right even as her face grew crimson.

“And I suppose you’re right for me?” She couldn’t help but laugh a bit at the thought. It wasn’t a bad idea so much as looking over a map without any illustrations or signs; uncharted territory.

“I don’t know, Jimmy…” She paused and stared at the woman, who replied,

“Angela…after my grandmother.”

“I don’t know, ANGELA, if I’m right for you…I just know that since I was sixteen, you were always right for me.” She shrugged her shoulders once again.

“What can I say…I loved you…I know…it’s just infatuation, but right now, that’s all I’ve got. I tried it their way…got married at twenty-five, and I just didn’t fit…like the old saying? I felt like a brown shoe in the company of black pumps?” She put her head down and covered her face.

And when the music plays
And when the words are
Touched with sorrow
When the music plays
I hear the sound
I had to follow
Once upon a time
Once beneath the stars
The universe was ours

“Gee…I don’t know…” Angela laughed softly and looked at the woman beside her. Tears came to her own eyes, but she continued to laugh; the irony wasn’t missed on her at all.

“What do you call yourself these days, Danny?” She smiled, expecting the pat answer, “Danielle,” which was a very lovely name. The woman nodded and spoke;

“Inga…after my grandmother. Inga Peterssen.”

“Well, Inga Peterssen?" She put her hand in Inga's and placed her other hand over them both.

"Angela Montalbano...I am very glad to make your acquaintance. May I buy you a drink?” Angela summoned over the bar girl.

“Would you mind getting my friend a….?” Inga pointed to the diet coke and smiled.

“I’ll have what she’s having.”

Once upon a time
Once when you were mine
I remember skies
Mirrored in your eyes
I wonder where you are
I wonder if you
Think about me
Once upon a time
In your wildest dreams
In your wildest dreams
In your wildest dreams


Your Wildest Dreams
Words and Music by Justin Hayward
As performed by the Moody Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmmPFrkuPq0

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm not the brightest bulb in the box

so I'll have to read it again - and again.

Love the way you base songs around stories - or the other way around. And your taste in music seems to be as wide as mine.

S.

You gave me

ALISON

' the 'moody blues' at first but I ended up with a smile on my face.A sweet story.

ALISON

wildest dreams

interesting. two trans women, maybe finding love together? i hope you continue this. And I love the music. As soon as I saw the first couple of lines, I was singing along.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

In Your Wildest Dreams!

A lovely story, well worth a few dozen hankies.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

No Kleenex Required

joannebarbarella's picture

Twisty and nice. Had to chuckle: "this guy walked into a bar." And talked to the wrong babe,

Joanne

Sweet with a Twist of Lime

terrynaut's picture

I like how you twisted this, 'Drea. I didn't see the end coming at all. It was a very nice surprise.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

This is well written and with a lot of emotions flowing.

Once upon a time
Once beneath the stars
The universe was ours

How many still think that the universe is ours? I do, for one. How many think the day the music died was prophetic for the rest of the industry? Not me. This story was a tear jerker and I need more tissues. The ending is sweet and romantic, but Angela's doubts were real, I could actually feel the chill of my spine in her fears. "THIS IS HOW THE WORLD ENDS, NOT WITH A BANG BUT WITH A WHIMPER." T.S.Eliot.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."