Odyssey II Part 11

Printer-friendly version

Part 11

They quickly devised a game plan. Kylie would drive Jamie’s car to his home where Larry would pick her up to take her home after he dropped Tony at home. The Snarly Harley could only take one passenger at a time. Pat would drive Leroy, Ruth, and Jamie to the hospital for their check-ups. Leroy would run the cam-corder cassette to the county lock-up where Dick was being taken and fill out a full incident report. Pat would stay with Ruth and Jamie while they were examined. Leroy would get checked when he was done processing the crime paperwork. Then they’d all go home.

*****

Both Ruth and Jamie had multiple bruises to present as evidence of the abuse they suffered. Jamie understood he needed to continue presenting himself as a guy in public until the psychological tests were completed. Dr. Sykes made sure she was at the hospital to check up on Jamie. Once she was preliminarily satisfied he was transgendered, she ordered an initial month long course of testosterone blockers to be started immediately to stop Jamie's already begun puberty.

It took longer than normal for their treatment as the emergency room was just returning to normal after treating Dwayne and Phil. Word of the accident was rampant in the hospital.

It was nearly four in the morning when Leroy and Pat arrived home after dropping Ruth and Jamie at home. The four slept until noon.

The dance committee plus several other helpers arrived about four to take down the decorations and clean up the from the dance. In addition to discussing the dance, they also discussed the terrible accident involving their classmates. Surprisingly, there was little trash as most of the teens used the plentiful trash barrels. They were done by five thirty.

Kylie had her tool trailer back inside the barn by six and the DUKW back inside by six thirty.

Ruth and Jamie spent the afternoon discussing and researching gender dysphoria. Ruth was still unsure about the concept of transgenderism but knew she had to help Jamie as much as she could.
With Ruth's permission Leroy contacted Kevin Stewart to provide legal service for their upcoming legal struggle. Kevin called Ruth just after supper and they spoke for nearly half an hour. Ruth would be seeing Kevin Monday morning.

*****

The accident made the front page of Sunday's edition of Easton Star Democrat. The report laid out that Freddy was driving and fled the police checkpoint at the dance and crashed less than a mile away when they failed to negotiate a corner. The evidence of alcohol, marijuana, and amphetamines were found in the wreckage as well as paint ball guns and ammo. It was assumed they were the paint ball vandals that had been active during the past few weeks. All four boys were seriously injured with blood alcohol levels ranging from point two four to point two eight as well as high levels of THC. Two with amphetamines in their systems were medi-vaced to John's Hopkins University Hospital in Baltimore where one had his arm removed and the other had been unable to re-attach his severed leg. Both were in critical condition. The other two boys were in Memorial Hospital in Easton listed in severe condition with numerous broken bones and concussions.

*****

Ruth and Jamie joined The Clan Wells Point at church. Ruth was a bit apprehensive as she entered since the last time she'd been in a church was when she had married Dick seventeen years before. Jamie had never been in a church and had no idea what to expect. The out-pouring of friendship and acceptance was nearly overwhelming for the mother and son.

During the Sunday church service, Pastor Giles prayed for Freddy, Barney, Dwayne, and Phil. The service was inspiring and afterwards, The Clan Wells Point held back with Ruth and Jamie. Rev. Giles greeted everyone warmly, then Leroy explained what had happened Friday night.

Much to Jamie's relief, Rev. Giles was not judgmental, but compassionate and supportive. The Clan Wells Point headed off to home to move Betty and Jimmy into the B&B. Rev. Giles spoke to Ruth and Jamie for several hours answering their questions about God’s will and love as well as their concerns about transgender issues. Pastor Giles even ordered pizza for their lunch.

After church, the entire Clan Wells Point headed out for a football fest. It didn’t really matter if the Titans won or lost as long as they played well. Krista refused to acknowledge her minor injury from skidding on the gravel and cheered with her squad. Even though she broke open the scabs on the small cuts she managed to keep from wincing or limping. Of course, she felt the pain soon after the game. Even though not an official member, Jasmine had been adopted by the cheer squad. Today they rolled her right onto the sidelines so she could cheer Jimmy on from within their ranks. The Titans played against Kent County whom they'd defeated twice before. They beat them again but the score was closer. The Titans won the Bayside Pop Warner Football League Championship game six to two.

*****

Linda Sweeney was a gossip. She knew something was up with James when the teacher chaperones took her home. The next day her mother had called Ruth to get the scoop on what had happened. Ruth wisely kept quiet about the transgender issue but confirmed Dick assaulted her and Leroy. Linda called everyone and began making up what she didn’t know. Fortunately the news of the pick-up crash superceded her efforts to stoke the rumor mill.

*****

Somehow, Harry Halls and Fox 16 managed to get a copy of the video Tony had made to show on the Sunday evening news. It began when Leroy served the court order to Dick so Jamie’s secret was safe. The tape clearly showed the savage blow to Ruth, followed by the fight between Leroy and Dick. It also highlighted Krista’s slide in to help and that she had choked out the large man. The video clearly showed Krista with her arms wrapped around Dick's head almost as if she were a cowboy wrestling a steer in a rodeo. She managed to center her clasped hands on his throat. With her body holding his head up and her legs churning the gravel driveway for better leverage she laid everything she had into the choke hold on the big man. Tremendous physical exertion and grim determination were etched on her red face. All in all, her appearance was quite intimidating. Those who knew of her life or death fight with Jack Masters now realized that diminutive Krista's victory was not as absurd as it at first seemed. Harry once more trumpeted Krista’s amazing daring, guts and abilities.

*****

By the time school started on Monday, the rumor mill was running wild. The enthusiastic discussions about the Halloween Dance were rampant and expected. What happened after the dance also had everyone gossiping and speculating. While they had no idea why things had happened, they knew Dick Ewell was in jail for assaulting his wife and Deputy Scott and that it happened after the Halloween Dance outside the O’Brien barn. They were also stunned that Krista had been able to choke out the big man. Those few who still resented Krista became more circumspect in voicing their dislike. Most simply chalked it up to Krista simply being Krista. The big news however was the tragic crash of the pick-up truck and the role alcohol and drugs played. Very few were surprised to learn that Freddy was the driver and Barney a passenger. What was surprising was that Dwayne and Phil had been with them.

As planned, Jamie and Tony walked to school timing their arrival at the same time Pat arrived bringing Krista, Jasmine, and Jimmy. Jamie pulled the wheelchair from the back of the SUV as the others helped Jasmine from the Expedition. They headed into the school together. Seeing James with the others, people wisely refrained from asking him for the scoop. Once inside, Pat walked with Jamie to his locker to get his things, then walked him to his homeroom.

Once settled into homeroom, Jamie began to field the numerous queries about what had happened. Jamie began by saying he had asked Deputy Scott for advise on how to handle the abuse his father was dealing out to his mom and himself. Deputy Scott explained the need for James to confront his father in a safe place with witnesses about. When that happened, his dad hit his mother and then punched Deputy Scott. His dad was in jail and he and his mom were trying to repair their lives. Jamie also made a point to tell everyone that to get his life without his abusive father to a good start, he wanted everyone to call him Jamie instead of James.

As part of the normal announcements during homeroom, Dr. Harris called for a first period assembly. Since this was an unscheduled assembly, everyone wondered what was going on.

Once everyone was settled into the auditorium, Dr. Harris praised the student body for their conduct during the Halloween Dance and thanked the Dance committee for a job well done. Then he turned to the main subject of the assembly.

"As we do for every dance, we checked for alcohol and drugs," Dr. Harris began. "Those of you who attended the dance know you had to pass through a police checkpoint. Those of you who were at the dance know it was not invasive and we basically did a quick visual and ID check. At 7:30 four students in a pick-up truck approached the checkpoint at a high rate of speed. Upon seeing the police, they slammed on their brakes and skidded into the field, then turned and tore off back down the lane."

"One of the police units gave pursuit but they were barely able to keep the vehicle in sight," Dr. Harris continued. "The fleeing vehicle spun out at the sharp turn by the farm but regained control and continued to flee. When they reached the Bozman Neavitt Road, they lost control again and skidded sideways. Since they were off the gravel and on the blacktop, the tires didn't slide sideways. As a result the pick-up truck rolled over three times. Since none of the four boys inside were wearing seat belts, all were quite violently ejected during the roll overs."

"Most of you already know who was in the pick-up," Dr. Harris solemnly stated. "I've spoken with the parents of the boys and they've consented to allow me to tell you their current status. The driver was Freddy Grant, Barney Flint was in the front seat, Dwayne Harper and Phil Abott were in the rear seat. They had been drinking heavily and smoking marijuana. Freddy and Barney had also taken amphetamines. I'm not going to sugar coat their injuries so if any of you feel the need to leave, do so. Nurse Scott is in the back to help anyone who needs it."

"In the initial roll over, as Freddy was being flung out through the open door, his right foot became caught in the steering wheel. As the truck continued to tumble, it repeatedly crushed and splintered both femurs As near as the can reconstruct the sequence of events. after the second complete roll, Freddy was finally thrown clear when his right leg tore off," Dr. Harris paused briefly to let his words sink in.

Virtually everyone present gasped in horror. Several held their hands over their mouths as the idea made them nauseous. A few girls got up and scurried out the back to Pat.

"The rescue personnel found Freddy’s leg still stuck in the steering wheel," Dr. Harris continued. "The damage to Freddy's legs was so extensive the doctors were not even able to attempt to re-attach the severed limb. It took all their effort to try to salvage the shattered left leg and it may yet become necessary to remove his left leg. In addition, Freddy suffered a severe concussion and multiple fractures to his skull, broke both arms, fractured three vertebrea and suffered nine broken ribs. One of the broken ribs punctured a lung There were numerous lacerations to his liver, spleen, and kidneys. During the eighteen hours surgery they used fourteen pints of blood and had to remove part of his liver and his spleen. Quite naturally, he is in a coma and listed in critical condition. The doctors still don't know if he will survive. They were able to determine his blood alcohol level was point two eight and he had high levels of THC indicating he had been smoking pot as well as using amphetamines. A person is considered legally drunk with a blood alcohol level of point zero eight. Freddy was more than three times past that limit."

"Barney is in nearly as bad shape as Freddy," Dr. Harris rolled on. "It appears he was the first fully ejected, flying about thirty feet down the road and at least twenty feet high as he had leaves from the overhanging trees on him. He must have been conscious because he tried to break his fall by putting his arms out in front of him. By trying to ease the face first impact, Barney’s right humerus suffered a severe compound fracture. On his left arm, the humerus, radius, and ulna bones splintered and disintegrated. The doctors were unable to save his left arm."

Again everyone gasped. Quite a few were openly crying.

"Every rib in Barney’s chest was fractured when he'd landed," Dr. Harris continued after a brief pause. "His collar bone snapped and three vertebrae fractured. Nearly every internal organ in his torso was bleeding, they had to remove his spleen, half a lung and one kidney. Barney’s front eight teeth, four top and four bottom, were shattered. His skull, nose and cheek bones were fractured. His jaw was broken into three pieces. Barney is also in a coma and listed in critical condition. The doctors expect him to survive but it will be a long recovery. The blood tests showed he had a blood alcohol level of point two six with high levels of THC and amphetamines. Like Freddy, he was more than three times over the legal limit for blood alcohol levels."

"Dwayne is listed in severe condition suffering fractures of both legs and the left arm as well as breaking his left scapula on the same side and his collar bone," Dr. Harris reported. "There was some internal bleeding but it seems to have stopped on its own so they are holding off surgery taking a wait and see approach. With a slight skull fracture he had a nasty concussion but is expected to make a full recovery. The blood tests showed he had a blood alcohol level of point two five and high levels of THC but no amphetamines. Again, he was over three times the legal alcohol level.”

“Phil is listed in severe condition," Dr. Harris went on. "They couldn't locate him at first. Despite repeated searches of the area, they could not find him. Forty five minutes after the accident, after the other three had been transported to hospitals, was Phil located. The fire-fighters were cleaning the wreckage debris off the road and berm that Phil regained consciousness. One fireman heard a faint call for help but he could not tell where it came from. He yelled for everyone to be quiet. They heard another call for help... from above them. They discovered Phil twenty feet above the ground entangled in the branches of the trees. The EMTs realized there was no way to get him out without causing further injury so they called for two bucket trucks from Choptank Electric Cooperative in St. Michaels. It took twenty minutes for them to arrive. The EMTs splinted his arms and legs and tied him upside down to a back board while the firemen removed all tree branches that would interfere with the operation of the buckets. With an EMT in each bucket with the bucket operators, they raised up to secure the backboard to the buckets. The firemen then cut off the branches that entangled Phil. The buckets with Phil on the backboard and still entangled in the branches were lowered to the ground. He was transported to the hospital, branches and all.”

“ All four of Phil’s limbs were broken and he fractured three vertebrae in his back,” Dr. Harris explained. “Fortunately there were no internal injuries and there seems to be no damage to his spinal cord although he has a concussion. The prospects for a full recovery are dependant upon the broken vertebrae healing properly. The blood tests showed he had a blood alcohol level of point two four and high levels of THC but no amphetamines. His blood alcohol level was three times the legal limit."

"Freddy and Barney were airlifted to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore," Dr. Harris went on. "As of yet neither has regained consciousness and the doctors have no idea how long it will be before they do. Dwayne and Phil are in Memorial Hospital in Easton. Both have regained consciousness but are in a world of hurt. As the boys recover and return to school, I will expect everyone to treat them well. Teasing or taunting will not be tolerated. At best they'll still be in casts through January, possibly longer."

"While I'm sickened by their injuries, I will use them as examples," Dr, Harris summarized. "But I won't beat you over the head with it. This time we all know the victims. Drinking and driving is a danger to everyone, adding marijuana and amphetamines to the mix only aggravated the disaster. You all know that drinking at your age is illegal and the pot and amphetamines are always illegal. You all know you shouldn't be consuming any of those. I also know some of you will do so anyway. Please, if you do, don't get behind the wheel. Don't get into the vehicle of someone who has been doing those things. I'd like to see all of you stay healthy. Please, if you believe in a higher power, pray for the boys. Thank you."

The entire school was stunned by the revelation of the seriousness of the four accident victims. As can be expected, they were the main topic of discussion for that day and many days to come. As for James, no one really questioned his version of what happened after the dance, especially since Krista and Tony told the same story. All of the staff and most of the students accepted his
request to call him Jamie

Linda Sweeney found her stature greatly decreased. The falsehoods she spread all Saturday night through Sunday afternoon about what happened had been shown to be lies by the news report that showed Krista in action. She’d lost considerable face.

The data duo brought their proposed Clan Wells Point Facebook and Youtube pages to school to show Krista and Tony at lunch time. They were quite impressed and asked them to show Pat after school. Pat loved the sites and asked Amy Beck and Freddy Hammond to put them online. She also paid the pair fifty dollars each for their efforts.

Amy and Ferdy were happy. During their time together working on the searches and web sites, they had grown closer than mere friends. They had attended the Halloween dance as a couple.

Jamie made it through the day with no real issues and headed to Dr. Syke's office to begin taking the gender identity tests.

*****

Also on Monday, Ruth met with Kevin Stewart to discuss divorce and to lock Dick out of the jointly owned assets. Ruth brought all the paperwork for their home and vehicles as well as their bank accounts, credit cards, mortgage and loans. Kevin called each account supplier and explained the immediate lock-out for Dick and followed up with a certified letter as confirmation. In addition, Kevin notified all the county bail bondsmen to tell them that Dick was being frozen out of his accounts. By the end of the afternoon, there was not a single place Dick could turn to for financing even a minimum bail.

*****

Tuesday Dick appeared in court with a court appointed attorney before Judge Watson for arraignment on the multiple charges. As soon as he entered the courtroom, a bailiff handed him the subpoena containing the divorce filing. As expected, Dick began cursing and screaming threats at Ruth who sat beside Kevin Stewart and Leroy. Judge Watkins banged the gavel several times to restore order before ordering the bailiffs to subdue Dick.

They finally succeeded in hand and leg cuffing him to the sturdy courtroom defendants chair. As his verbal tirade continued, the judge ordered him to be gagged.

"Mr Ewell, this is my court room and your behavior is both out of order and outrageous," Judge Watkins declared. "I'm holding you in contempt of court for your outburst. You are being charged with nine counts of child abuse. Fifteen counts of spousal abuse, assaulting an officer of the law and resisting arrest. Shake your head yes if you want to plead guilty or no if you want to plead not guilty."

Dick shook his head no and tried to yell through his gag.

"You plead not guilty to all charges," Judge Watkins stated. "Obviously, you can not control your temper and are a clear threat. I hear by impose a restraining order on you forbidding you to come within a mile of James or Ruth unless you are accompanied by a guard. I'm sentencing you to thirty days in jail for your outburst. To be released after that I'm also setting bail at two hundred fifty thousand dollars."

"Your honor," his lawyer stood. "We ask the court to assign Mr. Ewell to the work-release program. If he doesn't get back to work, he'll loose his job."

"There is no way I'm letting Mr. Ewell go on the work release program," Judge Watkins declared. “Perhaps serving thirty days will make him understand he can't go around bullying people."

"Your honor," his lawyer began again. "The bail you've set is extremely high. Would you please consider lowering it?"

"Not at this time," Judge Watkins stated. "His behavior clearly indicates he is a high risk case and I will not jeopardize anyone's safety by lowering bail."

"Your honor," Kevin rose. "We've just served Mr. Ewell papers of divorce on the grounds of assault and vicious abuse. It seems obvious that Mr. Ewell will not cooperate in regards to community property, child support, or alimony. Therefore, I'm asking the court to appoint an independent analyst to evaluate the shared assets and determine an equitable rate of alimony and child support. Then since Mr. Ewell will be incarcerated, his share of the joint assets can be liquidated to make those payments."

Dick began bouncing the chair and screaming into the gag as he tried to voice his outrage at the idea of taking his property. The bailiffs had to hold down the chair but he still struggled.

"Mr. Ewell, I'm once more holding you in contempt of court and am giving you an additional sixty days in prison before you'll be eligible for bail. Mr. Stewart, I can see why your suggestions are necessary," Judge Watkins agreed. "What bank handles their accounts?"

"The Bank of America branch in St. Michaels, your honor," Kevin replied.

"I'll call the manager when I get to my chambers and have him select one of his employees to review the finances," Judge Watkins answered. "As soon as the audit is completed, I'll process the divorce. Normally, it takes a minimum of six months, but because of Mr. Ewell's continued disrespect and the hardship that places on the family, I'll do what I can to speed the process. If there are no further comments, this hearing is adjourned. The deputies will please see that Mr. Ewell is kept secured and gagged until he arrives at the prison. My clerk will fax the ninety day contempt sentence to the prison so they'll be ready to properly incarcerate Mr. Ewell."

Ruth was amazed by the swift judgement.

"Judge Watkins is the best judge in the county if not the state," Kevin explained as they left the court house. "She upholds the law in favor of the victims, not the criminals. Your husband really cut his own throat in there. She will have no pity on him and will make sure she gets the case when it comes to trial. If your husband is smart, he'll accept a plea bargain and sign off on the divorce. A plea bargain will probably get him ten years, if it goes to trial it'll be twenty."

"So even though the divorce is just starting, it's as if It's already done," Ruth stated.

"Pretty much so," Kevin replied. "The bank will analyze jointly held assets and debts and divide them by half. They'll also determine fair child support and alimony figures which if approved will be drawn from his half of the common assets. If his jail time is long enough, you'll simply be given everything."

"Wow," Ruth smiled. "Life will go on."

*****

The RMC investigated the warrants and child support issues from Talbot County against Benny Reese. Their investigators were surprised, not by the charges, but by the profession and seeming lack of moral responsibility of the accused. Even though it was anti-ethical, during his first semester, Benny began dating a student from one of his classes. Gretchen Rich was a quiet unassuming eighteen year old with impeccable manners and a ready smile from a lower middle class family. Benny liked having younger somewhat innocent women because he could easily dominate them. Her parents objected to the relationship but with Benny's backing she Gretchen blew them and their objections off. Without the support of her family, they married in a private ceremony just after the school year ended in June of her freshman year. The couple now had a son eighteen months old with another on the way.

*****

Meanwhile at school the terrible crash was still the main topic of conversation even though there was nothing to report on the status of Freddy, Barney, Dwayne, and Phil. This certainly drew the spotlight away from Jamie and he was starting to relax. The questions about his dad had subsided and things were almost back to normal. The major difference was that he gave up trying to hang with the jocks. Even as James he had never really fit in with them but since he was so good at sports they put up with him hanging around. Now that he was freed from the domination and macho expectations of his dad, he could relax and try to find a new niche as Jamie.

After school Jamie once more met with Dr. Sykes with his mother present.

"Your tests results on the gender identity test are clear," Dr. Sykes began. "Mentally you are a girl."

Jamie smiled broadly. "All right, so I'm not crazy!"

"No, you most certainly are not crazy," Dr. Sykes smiled. "Ruth, how do you feel about this?"

"Confused," Ruth answered honestly. "I never realized this gender whatever is real. Jamie and I have been doing a lot of reading on-line and you're right, it is real. But honestly, I don't know how to handle this. I love Jimmy and want him to be happy."

"Mom, please," Jamie said. "You know I don't like to be called Jimmy or Jim. Until Monday I had convinced most people at school to call me James, but you and dad never did! Yesterday I told them I wanted to be called Jamie as a way of breaking away from the abuse dad dished out. All my teachers and most of the kids are already calling me Jamie. Why can’t you call me by the name I want?"

"I'm sorry," Ruth blushed. "Your dad was so insistent on calling you Jimmy I just got in the same habit."

"Well, please call me Jamie from now on," Jamie demanded with a pout. "It's the girls name I want and it still passes for a guys name. I won't answer you anymore if you call me anything else."

"That's a bit harsh, Jamie," Dr. Sykes gently rebuked. "It would be much better if you helped her break the habit by reminding her you're Jamie when she calls you something else. Ruth, you have to accept Jamie's corrections when you mess up. Working together, you'll soon be using Jamie all the time."

Jamie blushed at the mild rebuke as both nodded their agreement.

"As far as transitioning," Dr. Sykes explained. "It will take time for you to successfully begin transitioning in public. While you can be girly at home or amongst people you trust, at this time you're simply too butch to pass in public. You need to give the testosterone blockers two to three months to shut down your production and rinse what is in your body out. I'll give your test results to a few colleagues who may want to interview you. If they agree with my diagnosis, we should be able to start you on HRT. With no testosterone left and estrogen flooding your body, your body will soften and you'll start going through puberty as a girl. Unfortunately, it'll take about six to eight months for significant changes to accumulate. What it boils down to is that for school, you'll need to present as James for the rest of the school year. By the time summer gets here, there should be enough changes to begin going public as a girl. So next year you should be able to start school as a girl. That's a long time and it won't be easy, but it is the safest way. In the mean time, you can let Jamie the boy change his likes and dislikes, and even his companions. You'll also need to think about the possibility of plastic surgery to make your appearance softer and more feminine. Your Adam's apple will have to go, your nose could be smaller, and lips fuller. Again, you can make arrangements for that to take place as soon as this school year is completed."

"I understand," Jamie nodded. "I'm taking the testosterone blockers and can't wait for that poison to get out of me. The plastic surgery is a bit scary but I know I'll need it if I hope to pass as a girl without being hassled. As for the estrogen, bring it on!"

Dr Sykes looked at Ruth. "Ruth, how do you feel about this?"

"Overwhelmed," she replied honestly. "I don't know how to handle this. But Jamie is my son... daughter... and I'll do my best."

"Thanks mommy," Jamie smiled as she hugged Ruth.

For Ruth, the hug was cathartic. It perked her up. It had been years since she'd been hugged. Jimmy had been forced to give up hugs at five and Dick never was one for hugging or snuggling.

"I suggest you find an online store that caters to large women," Dr. Sykes said. "They have size charts to help you find the correct size. Order a few items, lingerie and nightwear for starters. Then as you feel comfortable, you can slowly expand your wardrobe. That way you won't have the embarrassment of going out in public to get you clothes until you're able to pass. You can find a discrete shop in Easton that will perform electrolysis on you to permanently remove that unsightly boyish hair. About three hours a week and by summer, you'll be quite softer and smoother and thus more girlish. I'll also see that you're excluded from phys-ed classes. In return, you'll need to join a gym and begin a grueling regimen of aerobics to slim you down and tone up your muscles like a girl."

"Okay," Jamie declared. "I'm used to hard work-outs so it'll just be doing different things. I'm not worried about becoming beautiful, I just want to be able to pass in public."

"If you follow a strict regimen of diet, exercise, treatments and medications you shouldn't have any worries about appearing to be a guy in drag," Dr. Sykes added. "Stay in touch with Krista and Kylie. They and their families can help you get through tough times, especially Kylie as she spent longer pretending to be a boy."

"Thank you, Dr. Sykes," Jamie smiled as the session ended. "I'll follow through on everything."

"I'll make sure you do," Ruth smiled. "I think I'm going to like having a daughter."

*****

The longer the Campbells stayed, the more they liked the people and locale of Wells Point. They were absolutely delighted with their daughter-in-law and grandchildren. The fact Heather had killed the man who hurt Jasmine didn't bother them in the least. When the law didn't step up to the plate to arrest and punish the fiend, they felt the killing was somewhat justified. Not that they condoned the killing, but they couldn't condemn it either.

On Wednesday, October 31, the Campbells headed back to the West Coast with plans to take an early retirement and sell off their assets. Once that was done they planned return to the Bay Hundred area to be near their grandchildren. They contacted a real-estate agent about finding a suitable waterfront property as close to the Clan Wells Point as possible.

*****

That same day Freddy’s ordeal worsened. He was so beat up from being trapped with his torso outside the pick-up as it rolled that he had little strength and virtually no physical reserves left to put into his recovery. With poor circulation and massive infections setting in, the doctors were forced to remove his left leg. All that was left was a three inch stump on the right and a six inch stump on the left. News of the loss of his second leg swept through the school like wildfire.

*****

Ruth stopped in at the YMCA in St. Michaels that day and signed herself and Jamie up for a twice weekly evening exercise class. During the years of abuse she had let herself go and was slightly overweight and out of shape. Together, they'd get themselves in shape and once toned, they could talk with the staff and see what they could recommend for softening and reshaping Jamie into a more feminine physique. She also arranged for a three hour Saturday morning electrolysis schedule to begin the unpleasant task of removing the hairy evidence of Jamie’s testosterone. It would be a tough regimen, but Jamie was determined to see it through.

*****

After verifying the charges and the fact Benny had never divorced Heather, the RMC issued their own warrant for bigamy and in the afternoon of October 31 headed to the university to arrest him. Arriving on campus, a plain clothed RMC detective headed to the main office to explain they were about to arrest Benny. A member of the staff accompanied the RMC officer to the classroom where Benny was teaching. They waited until the class was dismissed, then they came forward and arrested Benny.

Benny was quite upset and began protesting his innocence as he was led away. At the arraignment he was ordered held on $250,000 bail based on the possibility of fleeing to avoid the charges.

Gretchen was totally stunned when she learned Benny had been arrested. She couldn't believe Benny had abandoned a wife and three daughters. They had often spoken about his student college years and living ALONE in an off-campus apartment. The betrayal she felt simply shattered her world. What made it worse was that since Benny had never divorced his first wife, her marriage was not legal. Barely holding it together, she called her estranged parents.

Not having any contact with Gretchen during the two and a half years since the unsanctioned marriage, instead of being supportive, they bluntly told her she made her bed so now she'd have to sleep in it. When she mentioned Benny Jr. and that she had another baby on the way, they were unimpressed as they already had seven grandchildren from her three more respectful siblings.

*****

Also on Wednesday October 31, Dwayne and Phil were moved to the Requard Rehab Center where they shared a room. Both were out of danger and on the long road to recovery. The entire class had signed a large get well card for each and sent them. The PTA sent flowers.

Krista knew that Tony and Jimmy had been good buddies with Dwayne and Phil before she came into their lives and that she was the reason their friendship deteriorated. Not that she did anything wrong, but she did set Tony and Jimmy on a better life path and they were resentful. Krista urged Tony and Jimmy to visit their friends as they were sure no one outside their families had been in to see them. Jasmine only learned about the effect Krista had on Jimmy and Tony when they discussed Dwayne and Phil. She joined Krista in urging them to visit. Both girls volunteered to accompany the guys, but at least initially would wait outside the room.

The guys knew they should visit but were reluctant seeing how rude they had been to Krista and disrespectful of their new live style.

"Look, you guys were good friends before I came into the picture," Krista finally scolded. "Obviously you liked them or you wouldn't have remained buddies for so long. You changed for the better, they didn't, and they resented me for that change. Unless something makes them change, they'll never admit they were wrong in disliking me and thus you. They're too stubborn and macho. You two know better now. You have to be the ones to take the first step to renewing your friendship."

"Krista's right," Jaz agreed. "If they were worth having as friends before, they're worth having as friends now. If you renew your friendship now, you may pull them away from their tough guy life. While they're hurting is the best time to convince them they need to change. But you can only do that by giving them an example to follow, not by lecturing. They already know they screwed up. I'm sure their parents have scolded them for being so stupid. They need true friends who are going to accept that they screwed up without rubbing it in and help guide them to a different path."

"We'd better do it, Jimmy," Tony sighed dramatically. "Now there are TWO of them riding herd on us. We don't stand a chance."

"I guess you're right, partner" Jimmy played along as he theatrically placed his right arm up to his forehead. "Our days of running wild and free are over."

Krista and Jaz exchanged looks of bemusement, then burst into giggles. The guys joined in by laughing.

Pat thought the visit was a good idea but called Dr. Olsen to make sure she agreed. Dr. Olsen was delighted as both boys were clearly depressed and still beating themselves up over their stupidity. Dr. Olsen called the parents to make sure they were okay with the visit, then got back to Pat who contacted the other three parents and Jane to let them know she was taking the foursome in for a visit.

*****

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I found the assembly

I found the assembly regarding the four boys to be an excellent learning tool for all the other students. I do have to agree with Dr. Harris, you can give out information like this, and yes, even drive by a major accident scene and yet, you will still see others go in theirs minds "won't happen to me". Accident scenes such as described in this story, happen all too often and generally based on over use of alcohol and/or drugs. Another sad fact is that some prescribed drugs are also abused to the point of getting persons "high". One of the saddest parts of my LE days was having to go and tell a family about the death or massive injuries that a loved one had incurred due to a driving accident. This was especially so, if the accident dealt with the death of a young person who was still in high school or just out of high school and just starting into their college years. It would not surprise me in the least if the most seriously hurt boys wound up dying due to the overall massive injuries they received, as their bodies just might not have the capability of recovery.

Odyssey II Part 11

Now, it looks as if Krista has two more kids to help as well as Gretchen.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Once again...

Krista proves to be a hero, this time in convincing Tony and Jimmy to help their friends recover from their own stupidity, and to try to get them to be better people. It may take a lot of effort, but I am confident of their eventual success. Krista is becoming like a force of nature, and not someone to try to resist. Jasmine is only slightly less awesome.
I really enjoy readsing this story, and I very much look forward to more!

Wren

Benny is getting what he deserves but I fear for Gretchen

Bennie's pregnant Canadian wife was young and foolish but her parents are being needlessly heartless. I fear she will kill her youngster then commit suicide in her despair. Three innocents will die because of his callousness and her parents' hard headedness. Sounds like from the story they care more for about image than reality given the reference about not caring about their pregant daughter and her child as they have many grandkids from their "repectable children". Pompous jerks.

Like how the gals are urging the boys to come to the aid of their injured former friends.

As to booze, drugs and cars we had at least one guy in my high school class die hitting a tree while drunk driving as did our next door neighbor's son some years later.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Gretchen is really just Heather, round 2

Her issues will no doubt pop out when Benny's sorry ass gets dragged back to the states for trial. Heather may very well reach out in solidarity with her fellow victim, as a means to fulfill her need to pay it forward for what Krista did for her. She does have money to help out a bit at the moment. Gretchen still needs to earn her keep though.

Kim

Don't know what hair color is Jamie

... but if she is dark haired then laser hair removal makes more sense. Why subject the poor girl to being zapped follicle by follicle if it is not necessary. It is not fun, I'll tell you.

Kim