Do Ask...Do Tell!

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Contests: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

Do Ask...Do Tell!

“Lt. Moira Reilly reporting as ordered, Sirs, Ma'am.”She emphasized 'Moira' as she snapped a clean salute to the General behind the desk and nodded at the two civilians.

“Excuse me, Lieutenant, but aren’t we being a bit premature?”The woman smiled politely but her tone was a bit curt.

“I’m sorry Ma’am, but I don’t follow you?”

“That’ll be enough, Lieutenant.” The General shook his head and glared.

“Yes, sir.”

“It’s been established, as far as we can read the rulings and so forth that the military has seen fit to include personnel of same sex orientation. It has not, I emphasize the word ‘yet’, been established that transgender personnel are included. Do you understand, Lieutenant?”The man sitting next to the major tilted his head as if he were interviewing someone for a job. That wasn’t far off, since in effect, the man was seeking to exclude the Lieutenant from military service.

“I see you received a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star in service in Afghanistan. My gratitude for your service, soldier. We have several men and women who are alive thanks to your valor.” The General smiled warmly but sighed.

“Still, we have you before this panel today to discuss your defense of your and personnel of like 'persuasion' and their continued service in the United States Military. The Congressman and the Senator both are here for a preliminary interview before the committee up at Capitol Hill rakes you over the proverbial coals.” The man next to the General frowned while the woman covered her face to hide her smile.

“Yes, Sir.”

“We’re concerned that this may set a precedent, which in turn may lead to a really nasty battle on the Senate Floor,” the woman said.

“I respect that, Ma’am.” Reilly nodded and looked over to the Congressman, who was now glowering.

“While we can all thank the Lieutenant for his service….” He turned to see the Senator frowning and quickly added, “I’m sorry, Doris, but it’s yet to be established just what gender the Lieutenant is, from my understanding.”

“You’d understand, wrong, Congressman Stevens,” the General said abruptly with as much respect as he could muster.

“Lieutenant Reilly is seven months past her surgery, as her medical records will attest!”

“That’s …Gender Reassignment Surgery? Elective…Did the Army pay for this?” The Congressman shook his head.

“Begging your pardon, Sir, but no, it did not.” The Lieutenant said politely.

“It’s referred to by physicians in the field as Gender Confirmation Surgery, Charlie…get with the program. She's already served with distinction. We need women like her in the service.” The Congresswoman said, nearly missing the irony of her statement.

“Listen…I’m just trying to understand. Studies have shown that performance levels are likely to drop significantly during the personnel’s recovery; hindering their ability to serve.

“You might find that to be true of a soldier or a sailor with an appendectomy, but we don’t insist they leave the service, Charlie,” she shook her head.

“What about morale?”

“What about it, Congressman?” The General turned and faced him.

“We’ve already determined after a lot of debate and studies, that so-called ‘gay’ servicemen and women will not serve to the detriment of morale. Other countries have allowed gay personnel for years without any problem," the General stated.

“The idea that a transgender experience renders someone incapable of serving in the military is the same as disqualifying someone who experienced any emotional upheaval like divorce or another life-altering experience,” the Senator said.

"It’s really covert discrimination couched in terms of what’s ‘best’ for the personnel. I seem to remember you staying on in your district despite your divorce, Charlie. Come on.”

“Serving in Congress is completely different than serving in a combat zone, Doris.”

“Your constituents might argue that point,”she laughed, but the Congressman remained adamant.

“I understand your concern, General. And Lieutenant Reilly, I’m very grateful for your service, but at this juncture, it’s my determination to report to the committee that they continue the restrictions in place with a moratorium until such time as more data can be gathered. I’m not convinced one way or another, mind you, but I just can’t in all good conscience make any other recommendation at this time. I hope you understand?”

“Yes, Sir.” Lieutenant Reilly nodded and smiled weakly. “I serve at the pleasure of the United States Government in general and the President of the United States as well. I thank you for your time, Sirs and Ma’am,”she sighed as the two men got up and shook hands.

“Wish you’d think this over, Congressman…I think you’re making a big mistake….in not wanting to make a mistake at all. But thank you for your time, Sir.” The General shook his hand again and he departed. Turning to the Senator, the General smiled.

“Well, Doris…we tried…we really did.” General Mark Sheridan stepped closer to the table and grabbed her hand.

“I hope we can make dinner next Thursday, my dear.” He kissed her hand and then her cheek. Senator Doris Reilly-Sheridan smiled back and nodded.

“Should be okay unless the budget hearings go over, hon.” She arose and walked to Moira Reilly, her only child and shook her hand.

“Thank you, Ma’am.”Her face was stoic, but for the barely noticeable chewing of her lip.

“I’m so proud of you. Hang in there, sweetie…we’ll get this done yet…I promise.”She kissed her daughter on the cheek before hugging Mark.

“Take care of her, hon…okay?”

“As always.”

She grabbed her purse and walked out the door. Moira turned to the General and nodded.

“Thank you, Sir!”A smile slowly crossed the Lieutenant’s face.

“No, Soldier,” He answered with a smile and a crisp salute.

“Thank You!”

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good One, 'Drea

joannebarbarella's picture

Nicely done little piece which neatly skewers the absurdity of U.S. military policy,

Joanne

Preaching to the Choir

littlerocksilver's picture

That was so well said, even before the little surprises. I often wondered what would have happened had they found out about me. I had too much to lose had I not been able to retire. It would have been disastrous, with repercussions that would have been catastrophic. I would have been unhireable and unable to support my family. The time continuum cannot be rewound, and fretting about what might have been is totally nonproductive. I just hope some day all the Moiras out there are given a chance. Most are probably better soldiers than I could ever hope to be.

Portia

Portia

stubborn

kristina l s's picture

Or cussedness maybe, never mind the logic and the reality and even what your own eyes might tell you, just deny. Sigh, bit like that bloke with the boulder and the hill, who knows...One day.

Kristina

“Thank You!”

rather ironic that someone who has served so well would have to fight for the right to continue to serve.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Once again you've done it

What a gentle story and unexpected twist at the end. To have the Lieutenant's mother as the Senator, priceless.

Thank you for another wonderful story!

Blessings,

Beth

How can

ALISON

'such a leading country as the USA be so bloody backward on these matters. GRS in the Australian forces is paid
for by the Government.A great story,Andrea.

ALISON

gays in the millitary

Sadarsa's picture

although i see nothing wrong with it... i think it's a bad idea simply for the safety of the gays.
having served i know exactly what would happen.

there would be a whole crap load of 'accidents'

it is no streach of the imagination to say that you'd be beaten on a daily basis by no less than 5-6 (although i want to say 20, but that's just the "no less" part)
the few who would stand up for you.. wont cuz they themselves will be scared.
how do i know? obviously i've seen it happen... of course the guy wasn't really gay.. but you couln't tell them that!

Air Force or Navy..may be ok

but i can promise you daily beatings in the Marines

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Good Twist

RAMI

Interesting twist at the end of the story. Two accepting parents with top notch positions. Did the Congressman know of the relationship? I do not think it was evident.

RAMI

RAMI

Er

Athena N's picture

I don't know what kind of rules there are about conflicts of interest, but this looks a bit suspect. Otherwise it's a great story, as always.

Incidentally, for a couple of years I followed the blog of a Swedish air force lieutenant who transitioned on the job. As far as I remember, she had to change from flying fighter planes to a ground-side job, but that was pretty much it career-wise.

You're probably right about the conflict...

Andrea Lena's picture

...since it was only a preliminary hearing, I suppose they'll get by without a problem. The senator's task is and will remain convincing her colleagues and the folks in the other house to reconsider never-moded policy, to coin a phrase. And since it's usually pile on transgendered folks in government, a little influence can't hurt, conflict or otherwise.



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Do Ask...Do Tell!

I can see one such as Moira being more of a soldier than most of the others.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Her bravery is not greater or lesser than any other...

Andrea Lena's picture

...You're repeating the same mistake as the Congressman, only in reverse. Lt. Reilly is no more or no less of a soldier than any of her comrades in arms. Her bravery comes from within, not from the uniform or the body she wears, just like every other soldier. To say otherwise demeans her and her fellow soldier' service. All she's ever wanted is to serve her country and be allowed to be the person she is and live her life in the way she sees best.



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

The value of one's worth

littlerocksilver's picture

... is certainly not weighed by their gender or sex. It is in in their intellect, their soul, their willingness to do what is right for their country. It will be decades, if ever, before the military get's even close to getting over gender bias, even longer before they get over sexuality bias; transgendered bias, who knows. The military powers who are against the science of this matter were inculcated from the first day of their service in sexual and gender bias. It starts in the military academies, military schools, basic training, and other organizations. Even though there have been changes in the military schools, the results of 'wrong' training are out in the field. Their dinosaur attitudes continue to exist in the higher ranks. Just listen to the Marine General in Congress. Imagine the poor enlightened lieutenant who, in a staff meeting, expresses an opinion about gender/sexuality/etc. that is opposed to the general's. Guess what happens to his efficiency report. It may not be overt, but there are subtle ways to 'tube' a young soldier's career. I've seen it happen many times.

How do things change? How do you penetrate the granite walls of bias? The LGBT have to be legally recognized, they have to be empowered, recognized for who they are. Any anti bias legislation must include them right along with race, gender and religion. They must have the power to immediately bring attention to any form of bias, unfair discrimination, etc. This may require the establishment of an office in each command to address all issues of unfair discrimination. Only through aggressive positive action may this travesty of justice be overcome.

Portia

Portia

Transexuals in Service

I spent 7.5 years in Service with the Army. I have known a few Trans people like myself. Some in the Marines as well who were protected by genetic women. In other words no one said a word about it as it was secret from everyone but the TS girl and the genetic women.

While in the Army I was not fully out but a few knew of my suffering and also did not say anything. One Two Star General was very polite to me all the time, he knew!

Yes, it is risky let's face it! But, it cannot be hidden for ever from everyone as there is always someone who will figure it out sooner or later!

I had one friend who treated me totally awesomely. Is there such a word as awesomely?

One evening he took me out to a club with him in Babenhausen Germany and seated me in front of all of our friends like I was a lady. Oops! We both forgot! I quickly covered for him as some of the guys had funny looks and one of them said something questioning my friend as to why he had seated me that way. I told them all that my friend had come from well taught people, having been taught high class manners. They all seemed to accept that as nothing more was said although for a few seconds it looked as though they were still in question of it. I did tell them not to worry about it as it was something that they were simply not used to is all.

My friend after our date said thank you with a heavy sigh. He made sure not to seat me like that anymore though!

I really do miss him terribly. He was such a nice man!

Yes, it is risky being who we are in the military for sure! But sometimes it is very nice to have a Two Star General say please to a lowly specialist to do this or to do that and to have his around around my shoulders comforting me! :}

My other friend of course was not a General but like myself only a specialist. We specialized in many different fields during out tour of service.

Vivi

In the UK there is

In the UK there is transgender persons serving in the RAF and Army I think Navy too. Its guts not anything else that means anything.Still the way thing are going with Drones ect I think we will end up with a Skynet army.

Derp!!!

I don't know how I managed to miss (or should it be Ms.) this little gem. I'm glad I caught it now. Filed!!!

Who Else But A...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrat

PKB_003b.jpg