Three Days in Heaven

Printer-friendly version
Three days in heaven

For three days,

I was myself

A woman

Accepted

“Just one of the girls”

I was called by my real name

I held down a job

I was whole,

At last

Then the door closed

And now

I am back to where I was

having to hide

and pretend I am a man.

With no choice

but to stagger along

With only the memory

Of three days in Heaven

To sustain me.

up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Three Days in Heaven

May the Three Days in Heaven sustain your Spirit.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It's too bad you've been through this.

Like having a meal placed before you only to have it taken away before you've even had a chance to eat. You inspire me with your poetry, Dorothy. Every time, since it is real and honest and from the heart. Thank you for making me a better person.

thank you

"Like having a meal placed before you only to have it taken away before you've even had a chance to eat." is exactly how I felt.
 
But I wont give up.
 
Thanks.

 
"Let me succeed. If I cannot succeed let me be brave in the attempt." Pledge of the Special Olympics.

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

All I can do I give to you...

Andrea Lena's picture

...your own name... Dorothy Colleen... doro theos - greek for gift of God and colleen - Gaelige for a girl... you are a girl who is a gift of God, something you demonstrate over and over here with every word. A hug right back to you, dear one!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

bless you dear

Your name means "courageous", and you show that every time you bear your heart in your stories, your messages, and your comments. Bless you, sister.

"Let me succeed. If I cannot succeed let me be brave in the attempt." Pledge of the Special Olympics.

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Three days

RobertaME's picture

I remember a time when I didn't even have 3 hours in heaven... when the most I had was an hour being a little girl... an hour in heaven...
Then I had three hours in heaven, a whole morning playing like a girl... which had to sustain me for years...
Then I had an evening in heaven, one whole night of being a girl at a sleepover... which had to sustain me for yet more years to come...
Then I had an afternoon in heaven... which had to sustain me for a decade to come...
Then I had a day in heaven... one whole day of being me... which had to sustain me for yet more years...

Then I met her... and I had days, weeks, months, and finally years in heaven...

...and I'm still there! And every day I wake and find that the dream of heaven is real and that it's been over 13 years since the last time I had to leave heaven...

...all I had to do was stop walking out the gates.