The Outstretched Hand

Printer-friendly version

This was written at three in the morning in about twenty minutes. I hadn't thought about posting this as it is not really about anything specifically TG. Still with all of the discussions about depression and feelings of helplessness, I thought it would be a good idea to post.

Please read this in the light of finding your own higher power and not as a plug for any given religion. This is not about my wanting to foist something upon you, but invite you to find your own way to faith.

The Outstretched Hand

I'd wandered off the well trod path
intent on my own desire
and blinded by my selfishness
I blundered in the mire.

I screamed and hollered mightily
and railed against my keeper
but as I struggled more and more
I only went in deeper.

When I could finally take no more
and could no longer stand,
through the gloom I thought I saw
a glowing outstretched hand.

A soothing voice called out to me,
“I know what it's like, my friend.
I once was in the mire, like you,
and thought I'd met my end.

“And then a glowing hand appeared,
a voice called out to me,
'Put your faith in Christ the Savior
and He will set you free.'

“I can not pull you out myself,
only Jesus has that power.
But here's my hand to show you
that He helped me in that hour.”

So I reached up and grasped the hand,
held on with all my might
and prayed that I would follow
Jesus' glowing heavenly light.

And lo, a miracle occurred
the mire fell all away.
I saw a new path set before me
and the light of a brand new day.

And so I ask of you, my friend,
are you bogged down in the mire?
Have you gotten off the path?
Lost sight of Heaven's desire?

I can not pull you our, my friend,
but I can help you make a stand.
Just put your faith in Jesus Christ.
Reach out and take my hand.

Copyright 2009 Janet Nolan Miles

up
40 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Outstretched Hand

As A Christian, I can say that your poem is one of Hope to those who have no hope of a better tomorrow.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

thank you for giving me the link to this

I needed to be reminded.

"You can survive a couple of weeks without food. You can survive a couple of days without water. You can even survive a couple of minutes without air. But you cannot survive for even a minute without hope."

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I Tend To Read

...invocations of Jesus' name with a certain suspicion when the context is anything LGBT-related. Your poem talks of desires "off the well trod path." With very little stretching, it could be read as the "ministry" of the incredibly misguided or disingenuous "ex-gay movement."

I'm not sure you mean it that way, of course. There are other interpretations.

Those who are attracted to the same sex, or who don't fit neatly into the gender roles or expressions that society assumes from their birth, are arguably just the way God made them and wants them to be. Insofar as these represent problems, it's society that has them, not God.

I'd like to picture that helping hand in your poem as God's love, reaching out to remind those of us in need that He loves us, just the way he made us.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

I understand your concerns and reservations

I really do. And a lot of folks in the 'straight' world use all sorts of codes for the purpose of exclusion. It was not too long ago when Denise and I attended a church that advertised that they accepted all; to be asked never to return when they found out about our relationship. They somehow couldn't get their heads around the fact that we shared last names not because we were sisters, but that we were wives.

At the time that was written I was attending an LGBT church and they kind of took things in the larger view. Also consider that the poem was written by a post-op MtF lesbian.

It's also why I prefaced the post with a sort of disclaimer. Others will be more comfortable in substituting other names and I am completely at peace with that. I am much more interested that folks have faith and not concerned with what that faith is.

I have worked with folks in twelve step programs and a key to this is accepting a higher power. It doesn't matter who or what that higher power is, just that you have one. It could be the doorknob to the ladies' can.

As for the 'well trod path', I suppose that image might be improved. 'Going astray' would probably have been worse. And I understand your feelings. What I was hoping to communicate was straying from our intended paths as set forth by the creator, not paths that are constructed by human mindset.

Those who use scripture to condemn others are sinners from their own mouths. Those who proclaim that God is love and God hates (fill in the blank) proclaim themselves hypocrites. It is not my place to judge them.

And in the end, it is all imagery; and we all will see things somewhat differently. And hurray for the difference.

Thanks for your thoughts and for keeping us honest. =)

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.