Mall Misadventures

Printer-friendly version

Why is a seven year old boy standing in front of a rack of dresses in a department store? He's not sure himself but Mom seems to know the answer.

“Well what do you know, I knew it had to happen sooner or later, Janie it looks like your li’l sister is finally over her tomboy phase.”

--<oOo>--     --<oOo>--     --<oOo>--
 

He had no idea what possessed him but the minute they entered the department store he had been drawn to the spotty dress on the end rack. All of the different coloured dots looked so vibrant on the white fabric.

“Do you want to try it on?” asked his mother.

“Er, huh?” he replied.

“Well what do you know, I knew it had to happen sooner or later, Janie it looks like your li’l sister is finally over her tomboy phase.”

Janie just smiled.

“C’mon Cindy, lets find you some more pretty things to try on.”

He was in a daze, his name was Sid not Cindy, and he hadn’t agreed to this, ‘er huh’ was nothing like the ‘uh huh’ his mother had heard.

“But Mom..mie.”

When had he started calling her mommy again?

"What is it honey?"

"I feel strange."

"It's ok Cindy, I know you're not used to all this girly-girl stuff, Janie and I will look after you, right Janie?"

"Sure Mom. Do you want to hold my hand sis?"

It was all getting too much for him, he held her hand like she was saving him from drowning and meekly followed as they went through the girls department with Mom picking things up here and there. By the time they got to the changing rooms they had quite a collection of clothing including a couple of ruffly skirts, some cute tops and pretty accessories.

"We'll save the dress for last," said Mom. "Why don't you try these first?"

She handed him a pair of cropped lavender pants and a matching top with stripes.

"Go on then!"

Hesitantly he stepped into the cubicle and pulled the curtain across. He looked at the pants, of course they were girls' pants, with that style and colour there was nothing else they could be. What had happened to his Mom and his sister?

"How are you doing, sweetie?"

Any moment Mom could join him in there to help him.

"I'm fine Mommy," he replied as he pulled his jeans off.

When he was dressed he thought how this didn't feel like any of his other clothes.

"It's a bit tight," he said.

"Lets have a look," Mom replied.

Tentatively he ducked out from behind the curtain.

"Oh sweetheart it's fine, you look adorable," said Mom. "I know you're not used to it but that's how clothes like that fit, isn't that right Janie."

"Yeah, like the tee I'm wearing now," Janie added.

He noticed the warmth in her smile, that was something he didn't often see. She was right though, her Tink tee did fit close, especially around her shoulders.

"Okay, that set is definitely coming home with us, try these now."

Over the next 20 minutes he must have tried on a dozen outfits and more than half of them were in the 'buy' pile. Keeping on changing was a bit of a drag but he was starting to enjoy the reactions of his Mom and Janie when he tried on something new.

When he finally got to try on the spotty dress he felt extra special, he had to ask Janie to button him up and tie his sash, if they had ever been this close before he didn't remember it.

"My baby girl," Mom cooed as she wrapped him up in a hug.

When she released him she continued, "You would look better wearing white hose/tights with that dress but there's no way you can wear them with those ratty sneakers but we'll soon sort that out."

He had been ready to change back but Mom had told the lady he would be keeping the dress on to leave the store. He clamped onto his sister's hand as they went to pay and wouldn't release it.

They followed Mom down the mall until they got to the shoe store. Trying on shoes wasn't much fun but he actually agreed with Mom, his sneakers were pretty beat up and really didn't go with his dress, the black patent mary-janes with the heart shaped buckles looked so much better.

"She needs new sneakers too," said Janie.

So they went looking for something suitable. He picked out a couple pairs of plain white ones first but found himself drawn to the ones with the pink sparkly bits on.

"You really are a girly girl, the old you would never have chosen something like that," said Janie.

"I'm sorry," he replied.

"Don't be," Janie said as she pulled him into a hug. "I love you no matter what, but now that you've turned to the pink-side you're the baby sister I've always wanted."

A tear rolled down his cheek.

They left the shoe store with the mary-janes, sneakers and a pair of cute white sandals that he could wear with his lavender outfit.

"Are we done yet?" he asked.

"Just a couple more stops," Mom said and steered them towards Janie's favourite boutique. It was one of those little shops that sold anything and everything a tween girl could want, and at prices most could actually afford.

"Pick out some hairbands and barrettes that you like," said Mom and left him in the capable hands of his big sister.

"These are cute, and that's sparkly like your new sneaks." She gave a running commentary as they checked out everything on offer, and there was plenty to choose from.

A few minutes later Mom was back at their side.

"That's a nice selection, now Cindy I need you to come over here and sit down."

"Why Mommy?"

"Because we're going to get your ears pierced, just like your big sister."

He followed her and sat down but it was plain to see he was uncomfortable.

"You're not scared are you?"

"Yes."

"But you're a big girl, and just think how pretty you'll look with cute li'l earrings"

That didn't seem to help.

"Janie had her ears pierced when she was younger than you."

"Did it hurt," he asked his sister.

"Not really, I felt it but it's no big deal."

He still wasn't convinced.

The assistant whispered something to Mom.

"What about if Janie sits on the chair and you sit on her lap and hold her hands, would you be ok then?"

He looked up at his sister who nodded her approval.

"Okay I guess," he said.

So that was how they did it, he gripped Janie's hands even tighter than before as the assistants lined up the piercing instruments and with a POP it was over.

"See, that wasn't so bad was it?" Janie said.

"No, no it wasn't," he replied.

"And in a few weeks time you can change those plain old studs for any of the pretty stuff we have," said the assistant.

"I can guarantee we'll be back," said Janie with a grin.

They left the store with yet another set of bags, these ones small enough for him to carry easily.

"Just one more stop and then we can go eat," said Mom.

He wondered if there was any kind of store left to visit but was taken by surprise when the place they stopped at was a portrait studio and looked to Mom for guidance.

"I want to send Grammy some pictures because she's never going to believe me when I tell her that my baby has gone all girly girl."

They waited patiently for their turn and when it came he listened carefully and did everything the photographer said while his mother and sister watched. He didn't even notice when they disappeared for a few minutes, he was however fully aware when they returned because out of his sight Janie leaned over the chair he was in and gave him a hug, just as the camera went click. She had changed into a dress and was joining him for a sister-sister set.

"Hey stop tickling me!"

"Make me."

"No fair. Mommy, get her to stop."

Apart from a few formal pictures this set showed two sisters who loved being in each other's company and countless clicks later they picked up the photo CD and a couple of 6x4s and headed back to the car.

On the way to the burger joint he thought 'if this is what being a sister is all about then I think I'm going to like being Cindy'. Sid always ordered the nugget meal, what would Cindy order? She stared at the menu then decided that her tastes for fast food were the same and stuck with the familiar nuggets and her favourite dipping sauce.

Later that night as she got ready for bed Cindy looked out of the window at the stars and then it hit her, last night she had done exactly the same thing, she remembered spotting the shooting star, closing her eyes and saying 'I wish my sister liked me better.'

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you,Catrina,

ALISON

'for such a sweet little story,but you can't leave it there,can you?

ALISON

Not the Explanation...

...that I was expecting. Really good story.

Eric

I'm a little confused...

Which is probably better than usual where I am a lot confused.

Is Sid/Cindy still a him or now a her?

So did his wish change everyone but him, or change him and everyone's memories but his now hers, or did his mom and sister just suddenly go insane?

Mall Misadventures

Unless I mistaken, the wish made the boy into a girl.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I think you may be mistaken Stanman

He was called a 'He' throughout the story up to and just before the nuggets meal and then 'She' went to bed.

Now you have me confused.

You really have to watch what you eat at Maccys??

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

great work cat, i do like

Great work Cat, I do like the story very much. Please keep on writing when you can.

yours loving

samantha rebecca clarkson

Better Ending

RAMI

As I read the story, I thought this was mom deciding to raise her son as a girl, with the sister's support. It appears that instead, Sid actually became Cindy, a real girl. I guess Sid's mind has not caught up with his bodily change.

RAMI

RAMI

Nice little story

What an answer to a wish!

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Didn't see that one coming

Zoe Taylor's picture

... But I really, really liked it. ;-)

*hugs*
~Zoe

* * *

"...and then the day came when the
risk to remain tight in a bud was more
painful than the risk it took to blossom."

-- Anais Nin

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Good story

A sweet story of a wish come true, but not quite in the manner intended.

"...now you've turned to the pink side..."

I liked that! "Turn to the PINK SIDE, we have CHOCOLATE!"

Penny

As has often been said…

Be careful what you wish for— you just might get it!

The Rev. Anam Chara+

Anam Chara

I was a bit confused

but when it came to the end it was cute, and warm. Thanks.

Bailey Summers

Nice little interlude between magic, transformations, etc.

There are so many stories about shoping at the Mall I could scream.

However you gave this one a nice little touch.

Thank you.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

This is such a sweet and cute story.

When I was 7 we didn't have malls yet in our state, but we had shopping centers. Everytime we went to a department store, aunt Caroline, whom I called mother for 8 years, would always find me in the girls department, looking at dresses, skirts, girls jeans in different colors, and very feminine tops.

Thank you for the memories Cat, you actually made me smile and cry at the same time.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Nice story

The little boy in a shopping mall is a theme that gives a lot of possibilities for a nice story. Good job.

Hiker_JPG_1.jpg

Preaching to the choir

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

Later that night as she got ready for bed Cindy looked out of the window at the stars and then it hit her, last night she had done exactly the same thing, she remembered spotting the shooting star, closing her eyes and saying 'I wish my sister liked me better.'

And, of course, the only way to become more likeable is… I think most of us already got the memo:

“Mommie, Jennie says I’m made of snips and snots and puppy dog butts.”
 
“Well, honey, that’s just an old nursery rhyme, ‘Snips and snails and puppy dog tails, that’s what little boys are made of.’”
.
.
“Girls are ’sposed to be sweet?”
 
“Um. Yes?”
 
“Jennie isn’t.”
 
“No, I guess she isn’t really, is she? But you’re sweet. Definitely sweeter than Jennie.”
 
“I am?”
 
“Yes, honey, you’re sweeter than any cookie.”
 
“Maybe I’m really a girl?”
 
“Um, well....”
 
“Mommie, can I be a girl and Jennie be the puppy dog butt?”

Snips and Snails by Wanda Cunningham

Awful!

The mother is fucking with Janie's brain. The sister is too young to understand so she thinks it's a wonderful game. It's possible that the boy wasn't getting enough love before.

Weird

It's weird when a reader reacts so nastily to their own interpretation of a story. I thought the story led nicely to the magical transformation explanation.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Lovely story

sugar_britches63's picture

This is such a wonderfully cute and heart warming story that I hope you continue it. If only to let us know what happened with regards to the wish.

my warmest regards
Charolette Marie Webster

opinor ergo sum

Charlotte Van Goethem

Lovely story

sugar_britches63's picture

This is such a wonderfully cute and heart warming story that I hope you continue it. If only to let us know what happened with regards to the wish.

my warmest regards
Charolette Marie Webster

opinor ergo sum

Charlotte Van Goethem