What Light Through Yonder Shadow... - Act 1; 7

Printer-friendly version

1047084-untitled_2_1_.jpgdkg5.jpg
Primal forces, fallen angels, vampires and metahumans -how will one girl find out what she wants to know?
This is the final scene of act one as all of the main characters are now in play.
As always thanks to Top Cow for their characters. I introduce an aspect of a DC Comics character in to this now. Maybe you can figure out what it is.

Stephanie Roux's parent's had worked for the French government as spies. They had worked for the
Direction Générale de la Sécurité Extérieure, or DGSE and had been killed when attempting to prevent the assassination attempt of a high level diplomat. Their death meant that she inherited a fortune which was put in trust for her until she turned 21.

Stephanie had always been an unusually curious girl and if it wasn't for the knowledge that working for the DGSE got her parents killed she would have been working for them instead of the French consulate in Australia.

What she didn't know and neither did her parent's previous employers, was that when she did finally turn 21 the dormant chemical compound that one of her school teachers had injected her with when she was 7 years of age would no longer be dormant. She was a sickly child from the age of 7 and nobody could understand why, but when she was 13 she got over her illness.

Everyone just attributed her returning health to the onset of puberty but what really had happened was that the compound had finally done what it was meant to do six years previously: melded with her DNA. Even though the compound didn't leave as weak as she was before she was never very physically active -until she turned 21 in January 2010

Coming of age is a big event in any girl's life. Stephanie just expected it to be another meaningless birthday with added grief of her parents death being brought up with the re-reading of the will at the lawyer, the big formal reception and acknowledgement of her parents heroic sacrifices at the embassy. As it was, she barely made it trough the meeting in the solicitor's office.

Her emotions were already highly charged and all the rehashing of the past was too much stress for her. She had a panic attack; the last time that had happened was when she had found out that her parents had died.

After she recovered from her collapse she had gone to rinse her face and freshen up in the bathroom. While standing in front of the mirror her face started burning. It started out as a flush but the deeper shade of red had travelled down her body until it reached her feet and then it had disappeared, however as it left so did her features.

Her mouth, her nose and then her eyes all gone. Even though all her sensory organs had disappeared from sight, her actual senses were heightened. She heard voices. The voices were that of the solicitor's secretary and the ambassador from the embassy. What was he doing here, she thought, he wasn't meant to be here and should have been preparing for the reception.

“What do you mean I failed?! I injected her, it's not my fault it didn't work!” This from a woman's voice.
The ambassador started talking about starting the experiments again. And the woman began screaming that she wouldn't be an accomplice to murder.
“Not everyone died, you know.” came the reply.
“Yes, and the only survivor was sick for the rest of her childhood. God Jean- Paul why don't we just ask the Americans, I heard that one of the companies over there has taken up where we left off”. The woman's voice recalled a memory Steph's mind, and she saw her second-grade teacher in her mind, it was the solicitor's secretary.

Steph knew something was going on and it didn't sound like what ever it was was good. Questions. She had so many questions. Before she knew what she was doing she had run past the secretary and ambassador, she was sure she was going to get caught but they seemed not to notice her. She began rummaging through the secretaries bag she didn't know what she was looking for but it seemed her body did.

She found an old computer floppy disk in the woman's bag. Funnily it smelled like the faint chemical smell she smelled when her face began to disappear. She took the disk, walked back to the bathroom and put the disk into her handbag.

When she walked back to the solicitor's office the ambassador was nowhere to be seen but neither was the solicitor. The secretary made a big fuss of making sure she was alright and Steph assured her she was. After the money owed her was transferred to her name. She asked to be taken home, she begged off the embassy reception due to her stress.

When she got home questions were plaguing her and as soon as she closed the door she called information up on the net to see if she could find a place to that had computers that could read the type of disks that must have 25 years old. She eventually had a paper sheet with a name and address of a place that dealt with old computer software printed out.

She would look into it tomorrow but now, she just wanted to sleep. And that is when the dormant chemical in her DNA activated fully. She was dreaming. She dreamed she felt a seething burn flood her body it was like she were being burned alive from the inside The pain eventually became bearable and soon she began to feel pretty good.

When she woke the next morning she wasn't in her bed, she wasn't even in her nightie. She was fully dressed and in a sitting position on the couch. She remembered dreaming about going to a shop and getting the information that was on the disk. She dreamed she had copies made. She remembered going to news stations and giving them the information.

But she was dressed in the same clothes that she wore in her dream and in her bag beside her, she had 10 disks. She had to accept the obvious this was done in her sleep and she remembered doing it with out a face.

A week later it was all over the news the French ambassador had resigned and Marie -Elise Baptiste had been asked to replace him but she had refused. Everyone knew that Marie-Elise was the best person for the job and it was no surprise when the new ambassador asked her to be his deputy.

Stephanie got better control over the no- face thing over time and it was really cool because nobody knew she had given in the incriminating evidence. They were even calling the person (her) the new faceless vigilante. It was stupid, she didn't want to fight crime. She enjoyed working as an assistant to the pre-eminent woman at the embassy.

The only problem she really had was when she had a really big question, she had to struggle to keep her real face.

* * *
Dani and Finch lay naked in a field under the stars in one another's arms after a night of passion. She was lying on Finch's chest, letting the flame of their love run across her skin.

I'm surprised that you didn't go to the talk that the vampirella was having tonight,” Finch said.
“This is her evening she needs to unite both groups before I can do anything to support her.” Dani sighed snuggling deeper into Finch's arms. “The Angelus being there will just make it harder for her. Remember, they hate the Darkness but were not on the list of their favourite people either.
“Dani, how long are we staying in New York?”
“Um...I'm not sure, why?”
“'Cos I think you need to call you mum and tell her you won't be back for a while.”
She gasped,“You're right, she must be frantic. Um...hmm, New York is 14 hours behind Australia, right?”
“Mmmm,” Finch moaned in response to Dani's hands exploring her skin. “Give or take an hour if you're counting daylight savings.”
“So it's about dinner on Saturday.” She then chuckled and said “Give or take an hour.”

They kissed and walked toward the highway, leaving a field bathed in the glow of the Angelus's happiness. As they walked clothes began appearing on their bodies.
* * *
Marie-Elise Baptiste had been worried, Dani had explained that she might be called away at times in her duties as the Angelus, she knew Dani was safe but she hadn't called. So like any mother she was worrying. She was certain that nobody at the embassy had noticed her concern but she wondered, how long would Dani be away.

Their cover would be that Dani had gone to further her transition surgically but Marie-Elise didn't know how long Dani would be away. That was the first hole in their story. The second was something they would have to discuss at a later date.

The phone rang. Marie-Elise rush to it and was relieved to hear, “OhmumIforgotbecauseallthisstuff cameupandcanyouforgiveme?”
Marie-Elise laughed in relief. “My dear girl of course there's nothing to forgive. I'm just thankful you called me. Are you safe?'

Dani was about to tell her everything but she suddenly she felt an itch in her conscience warning her that the less people knew about her activities the better. “I'm fine, but that's all I can say...it's safer that way.”

Marie-Elise felt a sadness at being excluded from something so important in her daughters life. “I understand Dani.” She said.

“I plan to tell anyone who asks that you've gone to America to get surgery to make you appear more feminine” her mother told her.

“Okay,” came the reply, “but Steph won't buy it. She's seen me without clothes even though I haven't completed the transition, she'll know something's up I'm sure you're going to spin something a little extra for her. Maybe you can imply I'm doing something for the government or something.”

Her mother was silent, “I don't like lying about government issues. One falsehood leads to another, that's where most politicians fall on their faces.”

“I was expecting you'd say something like that, but you know that if you said that you wouldn't be lying. I am the leader of a government, I'd say that my government is set up to all humanity. Just because you can't see us doesn't mean we not here.

“If you told anyone that it would be the total truth, you could even pass a polygraph if you said it.” Marie-Elise laughed, I keep forgetting that you're one of the new world-leaders.”

“Well I wouldn't say that, I can't run countries but I guess I do some pretty important stuff.”

Dani hung up the phone, turned and found herself facing a man with a gun pointed at her head.

* * *
Sonny Darko had finally completed unloading the majority of the mundane weapons. He had realised that he didn't have enough thugs and contacts on the street and as he began setting up his operation, he'd began to shake down all the local drug dealers to find out where they got their orders from. It was a pity he thought, it would be so much easier using magic to convert these drug lords, then he could have an already built army to take down Estacado's empire.

He found himself wondering how he could get the Angelus out of New York. He began working on a plan. To enact this plan he would have to get of of his underlings to take over the criminal aspect of the Darko family and he would need to go to Sedona. He would capture a sorcerer of light and corrupt him; not a very difficult job if you knew how.

Demons demanded payment for their services and one of the greatest payments was the offering of a soul that was converted from innocence. Once that had been achieved sacrificing that now corrupt sorcerer was that much sweeter for the demons summoned up and, they were more likely to do his bidding. A pure soul corrupted would be most welcome in helping him in his quest to rid New York of the Angelus and letting him do the blood ritual to enable him to capture and transfer the Darkness to himself.

* * *
Sedona, Arizona is an area filled with energy vortexes. It is there that a lot of new age things go on and while a lot of New Age stuff would be considered suspect by everyday people, it is in fact a deep level of source magic. For those who actually find a method of using their knowledge in the physical world, are acknowledged as powerful shamans and practitioners of white magic.

The Sedona Creative Life Center is a place where those shamans are invited to give talks to anybody seeking knowledge. James White Eagle would be giving the talk on how magic is only energy which shifts into many different forms and he, was Sonny Darko's intended victim.

* * *
Sonny walked through the lobby of the hotel and approached the front desk. “I was wondering if you would be able to put me through to James White Eagle's room?” he asked. He had already prepared the 'come to me' spell that would be activated once James answered the phone.

“Whom may I say is calling?” asked the man behind the desk. Sonny smiled (it wasn't a very nice one because he saw that the man felt ill at ease), “Tell him it's an old aquaintance from Europe.” The concierge dialled and was speaking a few seconds later. He handed Darko the phone.

“Well, well, well,” came the the the voice over the phone, “what business does the CoD have in Sedona Sonnetine?”
Darko glowered, even though the man couldn't see it. “I don't use that name anymore and you know that. The church doesn't exist any more, I'm now a businessman.”
“Ah Mr. Darko, pull the other one I know you better than that.” Before the man could talk any more Darko activated the spell. There was a gasp at the other end of the line and then, “I'm on my way down.”
Sonny Darko nodded to himself, things were finally going his way.
* * *

The soldier had found a dark corner at Grand Central Station. People were rushing about getting on and getting off trains, coming into and going out of the station like happy meals on legs. His throat began to burn at this thought but no, these people were off limits. He was spending his days here. And although he didn't have the weakness of others vampires. He didn't want to draw attention to the area where he was spending his free time (not hunting) under scrutiny of mortal police and vampiric investigators.

He was sitting in his hidden alley when a man approached him. The man looked dangerous but this didn't bother him as he could take care of himself. Before they developed the genetic weakness that blinded vampires at night, he was around. In fact, he was the reason for the genetic weakness. His murder of the Emperor had made scientists take precautions. But that didn't matter to him. He was the most powerful vampire around. He always had been.

“You're the rogue vampire I presume” the man said making it a statement instead of a question. “I've been looking for you.”
The soldier took a closer look at him, “I must say fellow you've got quite a pair, coming into my nest and all. What's to stop me from eating you?”
The man didn't appear very appetising but he didn't need to know that. “You may have heard of me, unfortunately we didn't meet last time. I assume you had better things to do than fight a war.”
Ahh, now he knew this creature. He was not a man but a demon; A host for the Darkness. “Yes,” said Jackie Estacado, “I see you recognise me now, I have a proposition for you.”
The soldier looked at him, “...and why should I trust you.”
Jackie shrugged. “You shouldn't. But I'll pay you as if you were working for me....and you can have all the people you want as food. I'll bring them to you.”
The soldier smiled, “What do you want?
“Oh,” said Jackie, “just a little problem with a magician. I'd like him removed.”
* * *

Stephanie Decided she was over-thinking the Dani situation and she'd just call and ask to speak to her. Dani had given her her home number quite a while back but she'd never felt comfortable calling the home of her boss, even though Dani said that it would be fine to do so. That's why she only had Dani's mobile number in her phone's memory so she had to find the scrap paper she'd scribbled the number on before she could phone.

Marie-Elise answered the phone. After speaking to Dani the day before she was expecting this call. She had actually prepared for it.
“Hello Madam Baptiste it's Stephanie Roux, I was wondering if Dani is there?”
“I'm sorry Stephanie, Dani went to the United States to further her transition into a more feminine bone structure. She won't be back for a while.”
There was a strange sound over the phone line as Stephanie was unable to prevent the faceless mask covering her face. There was a sweet smell and Marie-Elise felt wonderful as chemicals and pheromones were sent psychically and physically; she knew that could tell Stephanie anything.

Stephanie could sense the lie and now understood that the mask also emitted a chemical that acted like a truth serum. At first she had been disturbed by being able to get people to tell her anything but she guessed that if she wasn't using it to harm anyone it was okay.

“Stephanie decided to prompt Dani's mother into a greater state of mind for communication. “Oh my,” she said “Dani already looks so feminine I don't see that she'd need that.”
The chemical's really did work but because of the way Dani explained things to her mum. Stephanie actually believed the next bit of misinformation, because the chemicals induced the person to tell only the truth.
“Dani thought you wouldn't believe that story. Any other time I would only tell you what you want to know face to face and not on the phone, but as this is a secure line.... This is just between us, yes.” Marie-Elise cautioned. “Dani, is still furthering her change but she is also doing government work. Please do not ask me more Stephanie, when she gets back she will call you.
“Thank you Madam Baptise.” She said hanging up the phone after saying farewell.

Steph was concerned, the work she suspected Dani did had gotten her parents killed, this was Dani's business but if she worked for the DGSE it affected Stephanie as well as she was Dani's friend.

up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What Light Through Yonder Shadow... - Act 1; 7

You have e wondering how many teams will be involved.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not Teams - Characters

Main characters are:

Dani and Finch,
Jackie Estacado,
Ella (Vampirella,
Sonnetine aka Sonny Darko
The soldier/rogue,
Stephanie

the Question!

interesting ...

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I have to say

Your method of putting acts and scenes into this drama is rather attractive for my tastes. :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Thanks

I'm glad you like it!

Hmm,

Do I see the beginnings of a three way fight growing here? Estacado and his minions, Darko et al, and Dani and company, all on what appears to be a collision course.

Yes, very interesting.

Maggie