Keynote Speaker

Printer-friendly version
Keynote Speaker

 
Melanie Ezell’s Ultimate Writer's Challenge: week # 27. “Who I Am.”
 
(I know this one is a bit early. But its done, so here it is.

Everything came to a head in church. I had a Sunday to myself, and went for a drive, not even having a destination in mind. So I was a little surprised at myself, when I pulled into the parking lot of a church I had never attended. I noticed that it was a few minutes before the morning service, so I shrugged, said to myself “Glad I didn't go for a drive in my female clothes. I hate not being able to be Dorothy in public, but I wouldn’t want to scare the poor people inside.”

I went in. I was given a handshake, a program, and soon, music started. I was pleased that I knew most of the songs they sang, and so let myself join in. Then a man stood up, and began to speak, and I listened.

He said, Folks, every once in a while, God tells me to put the regular sermon away, and to do something totally different. This is one of those occasions. God is leading me to let a person here speak, to tell their story. I don’t even know who it is, right now.”

He paused, and then continued, “That person is probably thinking, ‘He can’t be talking about me. I’m not a public speaker. And my story wont mean anything to these people. But I feel that God is telling me, the time has come for that story to be told.”

He took his microphone and started walking down the aisle. He stopped in front of me, and he put a hand on my shoulder, and said “Its time to step out of the shadows, DOROTHY.”

<“How could he know my girl name?” > I thought.

He smiled at me, and handed me the microphone. Everyone was looking at me.

And then I felt a calm come over me, and suddenly, I felt the Spirit of God saying to me “Go on, DAUGHTER.”

I stood up, and took a breath, and began to speak:

“Probably most of you are a little confused by that little introduction. I’m a little thrown by it myself. But there is a reason for it. For you to understand, I need to give you a bit of a story. Perhaps some of you know a person who was born with a birth defect. maybe some of you actually have one yourselves.

Well, I have a birth defect, its just not one you can see easily. To put it into the simplest terms, I have a female brain and a male body.

Looking back, there were signs early that I was not like other boys. I can recall taking an action figure and stealing Barbie clothes from neighboring girls to dress him in. Sadly, about the time when I might have really been able to start sorting me out, I was exposed to a rapist, and spent two years in Hell.

Part of what happened to me was he justified his attacks on me because of my feminine side. He made me so afraid of my desire to be female that i buried it until I was approaching puberty. Then the sense of wrongness, the horrible feeling that somehow, I was going in the wrong direction became overwhelming. But I kept it hidden as best as I could.

Then I became a Christian. This made my conflict even stronger, as I was inducted into a conservative branch of the faith, and felt sure that my need for the feminine was a sin. This lead to a cycle of “binging” - getting girl clothes and trying to be as female as I could, followed by guilt and “purging” where I would get rid of everything, only to start up again a week later, or even sooner.Not only that, I suffered several breakdowns, and seriously considered suicide several times.

Finally, I realized I was hurting those who loved me by not taking care of myself. I got counselling for the abuse, and have finally began the process of being my true self. Almost immediately upon making that decision, I started reaping positive results. My blood pressure, which was dangerously high, dropped back into normal range. I have been able to breathe for what seems like the first time, and it feels even better than I hoped it would.

Not that the road ahead is easy. I need to find a job that will accept me as I transition. I have to deal with my ex’s rejection of this. I have to navigate the impact on my daughter. And I don’t even know at this point if my body can withstand the hormones and the surgery I seek, nor if I can afford them if I do get the green light to go ahead.

But I believe that it has been worth it, no matter what the final result will be. And I believe that God is blessing me taking this journey. I believe He sees me as His daughter, and that makes any tough times ahead worthwhile.

My name is Dorothy Colleen, and finally, that’s something I’m okay with.

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Much more than okay?

Andrea Lena's picture

...some one to be treasured and appreciated and valued and esteemed. Thank you for this.



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you, 'Drea

Your constant support and encouragement have helped me get to this point.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Yes!

Wonderful story, Dorothy and one that I and I am sure many of us can relate to. I am so glad that I get to read your work.

Joani

Dance, Love, and cook with joy and great abandon

Thanks, Joani

Glad you liked it.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Astounding!

Ole Ulfson's picture

Dorothy,

You have put so much of so many of us in so few words. Were you in the RAF?

A delightful story from a delightful author.

Thank You,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

RAF?

nope. My dad was in the Canadian Air force, that's about as close to serving as I have ever gotten. Thanks so much.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

A historical reference.

Ole Ulfson's picture

Never was so much owed by so many to so few. Winston Churchill after the Battle of Briton.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

I gotcha

High praise indeed. (curtsies)

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Knowing one's self

RAMI

Perhaps the first step in a journey, is to know oneself. Obviously you know who you are, what obstacles have to be faced.

Rami

RAMI

thanks Rami

Indeed. Thank you.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Just a gem

laika's picture

Dorothy's speech would be great by itself; but the set up scene with an almost tangible
sense of God being at work right then and there made this pure magic (stuff like this has
actually happened to me, weird acausal synchronistic cosmic ooo-EEEE-oooooo, but all too rarely...).
The last line spoke volumes. Being okay with yourself is like finally coming home.
~~hugs, Veronica

thanks, Laika

Glad you liked it. I did really have an experience of feeling God's acceptance of me as Dorothy in a church service. Didn't share it with the others, sadly ....

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

HI DC

I'd always be a bit wary of telling a Christian a secret like that, they're not known for their liberality.

Keynote Speaker

I am glad that you posted this story. It helps me to better understand and appreciate you.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Go Gettum Dorothy!

The world is your oyster.

I'm very proud to have been associated with you thru your B.C. stories.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

thanks Rita

thanks so much.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

It Doesn't Matter

Nicely done. At first I felt cheated. I wanted to know what the reactions were around Dorothy and how the minister knew her name.

But then I realized the challenge was about "who I am" so all that other stuff doesn't matter.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

exactly, Angela

Maybe another time, I may come back to this idea and flesh it out, but I kinda like it as is for this challenge.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I felt like I was there...

So many people just don't (or don't want to) understand.
If they could only have these feelings for one moment, they would understand for a life time.

We all know that will never happen,
so the next best alternative is to have them read a few of the wonderful things that you (and others) have posted here.
...Lora

Lora123falle.jpg

thanks, Lora

That's one of the reasons why I wanted to create this one.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I wish

That I could have heard your speech in my church. And thank you saying what you did. We need people to help find the words to explain what our life is like.

Bright blessings,
Cassie

Thanks, Cassie

You never know, maybe it will be you making that speech in your church.

Thanks for commenting.

DogSig.png