Reconciliation 6 - 'And so it begins..'

Printer-friendly version
Notes of a Journey Trilogy
Book 3
Reconciliation

Chapter 6 - 'And so it begins..'

A Gaby FanFic by PB


 

Now available for Purchase from Lulu.com!

Available for Purchase as
Download & Paperback


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Licensed royalty free. Provided by PD Photo.org .

 


 
Chapter 6
 
Four and a half years later - 2012;(Gaby and Maddy are now 23)

“GABY … DAD’S READY TO GO!” Jules shouted to her sister from the bottom of the stairs.

“… ARE YA REad … dee?” As she saw Gaby descend the stairs, Jules fell into a stunned silence.

“WOW! … An’ exactly who you planning to seduce?” Jules mischievously asked.

Well aware her mum was within earshot, the temptation to wind her up was just too great to pass up. Gaby shot back a reply without missing a beat.

“Maddy … if I can lose her parents for the evening.”

“Gabrielle Drew Bond!” Jenny stormed out from around the corner.

Judging by the ‘outrage’ in her voice, Gaby knew her mum took the bait. However, that anger quickly changed to embarrassment when saw the faces of Dave and the two girls.

“Bloody ‘ell! And you … David Bond! You just stood there!”

Jenny tried to turn on her husband, but she was laughing too hard to sound convincing.

“I must say … you do look … very lovely,” Jenny managed to get out after the laughing had died down and some dignity recovered.

“Thank you,” Gaby replied as she gave her mum a hug. “I’ll see you Sunday,” she added before giving her mum a peck on the cheek.

She also gave Jules a hug before turning to go out the door with her dad to pick up Maddy’s parents on the way to the Ká¶ln-Bonn Airport.

They arrived at the departures terminal in plenty of time and after they confirmed their Sunday return flight, Dave assured them that he’d be there to meet them and then started his journey back to MayschoáŸ.
Gaby was joining the Peters to fly to Manchester for Maddy’s graduation from UMIST.

She figured that since the ceremonies were on the Friday, it would allow plenty of time for the two of them to go into Warsop to see Em and if they were around, Bernie and Ally.

On the appointed day, ‘Convocation Hall’ was predictably full of ‘pomp and circumstance’ with all the graduates, their families and faculty observing the traditions of the university. After the ceremony, Maddy found her parents in the crowded reception hall at a pre-arranged location.

“You guys made it!” Maddy enthused as she greeted both of her parents a hug. As she stepped back to look at them, a previously un-noticed lone figure quietly approached and stood just off to Maddy’s side.

(Ahem)

“Gabeee!” Maddy squealed as she whirled around to come face-to-face her fiancée.

“Why didn’t you tell me you got the time off, sweetheart?”

“I wanted to surprise you,” Gaby replied as she stood there holding her fiancée’s hand.

“That you did!” Maddy whispered she pulled her girlfriend into a tender kiss.

Since many of Maddy’s things had already found their way back home, John arranged with her to pick up the rest of her clothes from her residence before going to the hotel. She then quickly turned her attention back to Gaby.

“Remember we were talking a bit about who we’d like to see in our wedding party?”

”Yeah … you wanted Kat as your Maid of Honour an’ Bernie and Ally as bridesmaids...”

“Change of plans. Bern’s medical unit’s in Afghanistan...”

“That could be a problem ... couldn’t it?”

“It is ... and lately, they’ve been staying over there up to a year before coming home. Even her mum isn’t sure when she’ll be back.”

“Kinda rules her out, huh? I guess we should at least send her an invite. You got a Plan B?”

“Uh huh ... can you guys excuse Gabs and I for a sec?” Maddy asked her parents before pulling her aside to talk to her.

“Have you managed to narrow your choices down to three names, yet?” Maddy asked.

“Nope … at least not three. I know there’s Sis … an’ I thought about askin’ Kris an’ the others … but if I do … someone’s gonna be left out an’ I don’t wanna hurt anyone’s feelings.”

“That’s four.”

“You’re forgetting Em … that’s five!”

“So?”

“I assume there’s a point to all of this?”

“Ummm … yeah. I want Ally and Kat...” Maddy sheepishly replied. “...but I’ve also got three more close friends to chose from ... and like you ... I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.”

“In other words …five’s the magic number, then.”

“Ummm ... sweetheart?”

“So what’s the problem? We’ll each go with four bridesmaids an’ a Maid of Honour.”

“I thought we were trying to keep it at three?” Maddy quietly wondered.

“We were ... but these are our friends, Mad. Can you choose which ones to drop? I can’t...” Gaby softly reasoned.

“I can’t either…” Maddy whispered.

“Then it’s settled.” Gaby rewarded her fiancée with a gentle kiss.

“Thank you, sweetheart...” Maddy breathed. “Would you like to meet them?”

“Are they here?”

As the two girls re-joined John and Carol, Maddy asked the three of them to wait while she went off to get her friends, who were waiting nearby with their parents.

A few minutes later, she returned with three girls and their parents.

“Gaby … Mum … Dad … I’d like you to meet my three closest friends. If it wasn’t for them … I think I would’ve gone insane.”

“This is Ann Jordan … Brenda Helmsley and Cathy McGuire … and guys ... this is my fiancée … Gaby Bond … and my parents.”

Even though Gaby told Maddy that she wasn’t going to hide anymore, Maddy’s candid introductions caught both her and her parent’s slightly off guard.

“Very pleased to meet all of you,” Brenda responded while Ann and Cathy nodded heir agreement.

“Mum, Dad, Gaby ... may I present Mr. and Mrs. Jordan, Mr. and Mrs. Helmsley and Mr. and Mrs. McGuire. These two are my parent’s ... and this is my fiancée … Gaby Bond.”

In the four and a half years Maddy had been at UMIST, she had met her friend’s parents many times and they had come to unconditionally accept her orientation and like their daughter’s, they were pleased to finally meet Gaby.

“Gaby’s a professional cyclist with a German based team ... Team Apollinaris. Her mum was the 2003 Women’s World Champion while riding for the same team,” Maddy quickly added with pride.

Turning to Maddy, Gaby asked, “When did…”

“Oh, she didn’t have to say anything ... but it helped,” Cathy offered.

“The clues were there if you looked in her room … you know ... little things ... like your photo ... her diamond...” Ann joked.

“The clincher was when she told us she was in love with the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world...” Cathy added.

“You guys set a date?” Brenda asked.

“Maybe we should start thinking about it … right, sweetheart? I have graduated … and … you do have a good income,” Maddy hinted ever so sweetly.

Gaby just rolled her eyes, appeared to think for a second or two and then offered up a seemingly random date.

“I dunno … what about a year today? May 18, 2013 sounds as good as any … at least that should give us some time to put things together.”

“What day is that?” Maddy asked.

“Saturday...” Gaby murmured.

“You’re right ... it’s a Saturday,” Brenda confirmed as she pulled her Blackberry out of her bag & checked the date.

“You had that date in your mind all along ... didn’t you?” Maddy pointedly asked.

“That obvious, huh?” Gaby smirked.

Maddy glanced at her fiancée before turning back to her friends.

“While everyone’s here … I’ve got a question for you guys. I know it’s not your traditional ‘wedding’ … but Gaby and I are looking at getting married in a church in Bad Neuenahr, with our own bridesmaids an’ stuff. I’d really like it if the three of you would agree to be beside me… whaddya say?”

“Two brides?” Mrs. McGuire questioned.

Ann answered without hesitation, “I’d love to!”

“We wouldn’t miss it!” Cathy and Brenda both replied for each other.

“Even though it’s same-sex?”

“Maddy … we know that,” Brenda flatly voiced.

“As long as you’re okay with it,” Maddy questioned.

“I think we all just agreed,” Cathy softly pointed out.

“Thanks, guys!” Maddy hugged all three girls in turn.

“I’m hoping to take the summer off and accompany Gabs to her races … so except for the few days I’d be back home in Germany … I’ll be on the road. We can always keep in touch, though ... by email. I’ll always have my laptop and ‘net access ...plus if you really … really … have to get a hold of me … I’ll have my mobile.”

While the parents chatted, the five girls exchanged all their contact information, including home and mobile phone. As they parted company, they all promised that they’d keep in constant touch.

“Well, young lady ... ready go to your room and get the rest of your stuff?” John asked.

“Be right there.”

“Shouldn’t take too long, luv...” John told Carol. “No use you two coming. I’ll ring you before we leave, then meet you outside before heading back to the hotel.”

Later that afternoon, once she was settled in Gaby’s room, Maddy decided to place a call to the Morgan residence in Warsop, before they met her parents for tea.

“Hi, Sylvia? It’s Maddy Peters … is Em around? Thanks … hi … Em? … hold on.” Maddy then passed the phone to Gaby.

“Em? It’s Gaby! Mad and I are just going out the door to meet her parents … but are you gonna be in tomorrow? We’d like to stop by and see you … and Ally … if she’s around. GREAT! Around noon? Okay … see you then … bye.” Gaby was looking forward to meeting up with her friends again.

Following tea in the hotel restaurant, everyone decided to walk around and check out some of the nearby stores. After agreeing to meet back at the hotel, the four soon parted company with the girls leaving John at a W.H. Smith’s browsing through some books while they hit the shops.

The two girls were stopped in front of a window display of a bridal boutique, when Carol caught up with them.

“C’mon girls … let’s go in. Now that you’ve set the date, you’d better start looking! The earlier you get your gowns … the better your nerves,” Carol bubbled.

Almost as soon as they were in the store, a salesclerk descended on the three women and asked if they needed assistance. Carol politely explained both girls were beginning their search for a wedding dress, but she intentionally let the salesgirl labour under the belief that it was for a double wedding. The girls didn’t see any need to clarify matters.

When asked as to their tastes, Maddy deferred the question to Gaby, preferring to follow her lead.

“I’m not really sure, but I want it to be kept simple … nothing fancy,” Gaby offered after thinking about it for a brief moment.

Maddy readily agreed and they were shown a few dresses, but the few choices that fell under Gaby’s criteria proved not to be what they were looking for. After looking them over, the three women thanked the salesclerk for her trouble and left the store.

On their way back to the hotel after some serious ‘window shopping’, Gaby noticed a store that supplied Medieval and Renaissance clothing for re-enactment Faires.

“There!” She exclaimed. “That’s it!!”

Gaby pointed at a poster showing several styles of men and women’s period clothing.

“Why couldn’t something like these be our wedding dresses? … Mad?”

“I dunno … why?”

“Why not?”

When she saw Gaby was serious, Maddy took another look. “They do have a certain elegance about them … don’t they? Let’s go in!”

Soon the three found themselves in the store, browsing through the various styles of dresses. Although Carol initially favoured a more contemporary wedding dress, the longer she spent in the store and listened to the girls, the more she warmed to their ideas.

At first they looked at period wedding dresses, but in each case dismissed them for being much more extravagant than they wanted. Many of the gowns were more ornate and fancier than modern wedding dresses.

As they wandered through the store’s copy of their printed catalogue, both girls realised that the more ‘every-day’ dress of a Renaissance noble woman was in line with their vision. Since closing time was approaching, Gaby asked for a business card and a catalogue.

“Look Mad … they’re online! When we get ‘ome, we should do a search an’ see what other stores we find,” Gaby enthused once outside the store.

“I liked a few of the dresses in there,” Maddy replied.

“I did too … especially that one the girl said was for a ‘noblewoman’ … but it won’t hurt to see what else is out there.” Gaby suggested.

“Besides … we have time … don’t we Carol?”

“Some … but I wouldn’t leave it too long.”

“Mum?”

“I can’t see either of you walking down the aisle dressed like a ‘Tavern Wench’ … but I have to admit … there were a few dresses…” Carol replied to Maddy’s unasked question.

“Let me tell your dad we’re back and I’ll join you girls. I’d like to see what’s in that catalogue. You’ve got me curious, now!”

The more she thought about it, the more Gaby’s idea of looking at Renaissance fashion appealed to her. She had to admit that it was a much more romantic time with simpler tastes and that as far as she was concerned, summed the girls up rather nicely.

The next day, John leased a car and all four drove into Warsop for the day. While Maddy’s parents visited with friends, the two girls went around to Sylv’s to see Em and Ally.

“Both girls are out on the patio, kids. I’ll call Em if it gets busy in here but she’s free until one o’clock.” Sylvia motioned for Gaby and Maddy to go on through.

“Hi, Em … Ally,” Gaby greeted their hosts, while Maddy nodded to each of the girls.

“Hi guys,” Em replied in a subdued tone. “Gaby … l…”

She knew what Em was going to say, so she stopped Em by gently putting her finger up against her own lips.

“C’mon over here … let them talk alone,” Maddy whispered to Ally.

“Shhhhhhh … Em. Don’t keep trying to apologize. I’ve told you to forget it. It happened, okay? What’s done is done … an’ I really don’t want to hear any more about it.”

After softly admonishing her friend, Gaby quickly put her arms around Em and held her in a long hug. “Just drop it … okay?”

As Em closed her moist eyes, she quietly replied, “I’ll try ... but … I just feel so bad about everything.”

“I know … but forget it ... subject closed!” Gaby firmly but playfully stated. She then changed the subject as they joined the other two.

“Guys … Mad and I came here for another reason than wanting to hear Em try an’ apologize again,” Gaby playfully joked. “Em … you and I have a lot of history together ... don’t we?”

“We’ve been mates as long as I can remember,” Em quietly agreed.

“An’ you’re aware Mad an’ I are getting married ... right?” Em silently nodded.

“Okay…” Gaby paused for a second or three before continuing, “So ... I’m a bridesmaid short. You interested?”

“You mean it?” Em squealed. Her blank expression immediately changed as she gave her friend a tearful hug.

“You really are all girly … aren’t ya?” Gaby playfully whispered.

“Only doing wot comes naturally,” Em grinned.

Even before Em released her hold on Gaby, Maddy turned her attention towards Ally.

“Your turn ... please?”

“You really think I’d say ‘no’?” Ally quickly nodded her approval and gave Maddy a hug.

The rest of the visit was occupied with talk of the upcoming wedding and generally catching up on events in their lives. Before parting, Maddy reminded Ally and Em that they would rely on email while she accompanied Gaby on the World Cup circuit.

“Sorry to break this up … but … your one o’clock is here, Em,” Sylvia announced from the patio door. The four girls parted company, with more hugs all around.

“Gabs asked me to be a bridesmaid!” Em excitedly told her mum as she passed her in the door.

While she went off to her appointment, Sylvia touched Gaby’s arm as she started to walk past her on the way to the front door.

“You know you just made my daughter very happy, don’t you Gaby?”

“I couldn’t get married without having my oldest friend, there.”

“If you two have a few minutes … I got some time before my next appointment. How about sitting down and telling an ‘old busybody’ about this wedding?”

“Why not? Let Mum an’ Dad visit a little longer,” Maddy answered with a smile as she held onto Gaby’s arm.

Ally went to keep Em company while the girls sat down and talked with Sylvia. When her appointment arrived, the girls bade good-bye to everyone and then left to meet Maddy’s parents for the drive back to Manchester.

The next morning saw the four up early, packing and getting to the airport for their flight back to Germany. The flight arrived in Bonn just before noon and Dave was there to meet them, as planned. On the way back home, John filled him in on all the news from Warsop and their mutual friends.

Back in MayschoáŸ, Dave dropped the Peters off at their place but not before Maddy asked Gaby to stay with her for the afternoon.

“I’ll just leave your stuff in your room, then,” Dave mentioned as he prepared to drive off.

After Maddy was unpacked, they called Kat to check if she was free later and then after a quick bite, they walked over to the Pinger’s.

“I heard a rumour that you had graduated … so … you going to go for your Masters, now?” Kat was smiling when she met the girls at the door.

“Maybe ... I hadn’t really thought about it,” Maddy replied with a smile.
Mad and Kat traded a few university stories before settling down for the rest of the afternoon.

“You two thought any more about your wedding?” Kat innocently wondered.

“Funny you should ask...” Gaby replied with a mischievous grin.

Kat was quite enthralled about their idea for their wedding dresses and together they spent some time exploring online Renaissance clothing supply stores, starting with the one the girls visited in Manchester.

“At least you don’t have to worry about what to do mit your hair … looking at the girls in these pictures … long und straight seems to work best mit these dresses,” Kat observed.

“Mad and I were thinking of keeping ours like that.”

“Why not have everyone have their hair like that?” Kat asked. “Like I said … it seems to work best mit these dresses.”

“I love how this girl thinks...” Gaby joked as both girls looked at Kat with the same impish smile.

“Kat … I think Gabs mentioned that we’re both having our own bridal parties ... didn’t she?” Maddy hinted.

“Ja...”

“That means two sets of bridesmaids and two Maids of Honour, doesn’t it?” Maddy pushed.

“Ja...” Although Kat believed she had an idea what was coming, she let Maddy finish.

“My bridal party has one vacancy left ... I still need a Maid of Honour ... interested?” Maddy playfully asked.

“Say ‘yes’, Kat...” Gaby playfully urged.

“...Ja!” Kat excitedly squealed. “Danke ... vielen Dank ... both of you!”

“You realise that means no more thinking ‘bout cutting your hair every time you pass a hair salon...” Gaby playfully mentioned.

“I keep mein hair long … for you und Maddy!” Kat replied as she enthusiastically hugged both girls.

The sky was beginning to darken and the first drops were falling as the girls left the Pinger’s and quickly walked back to the Bond’s.

“I’ll get the keys and drive you home,” Gaby suggested when they arrived back at the house.

When she returned after taking Maddy home, she sat down with her mum in the lounge and talked about the weekend. While the talk inevitably turned to the early progress in the wedding planning, Jules walked into the room.

“Mad’s got her attendants all lined up. Kat’s gonna be her Maid of Honour. Ally an’ three friends from UMIST will be her bridesmaids.”
“You and Maddy now going with five each, are you?”

“Neither of us could decide who to drop...” Gaby quietly acknowledged.

“How about you?” Jenny asked.

“I’ve only asked Em so far. I still have to ask Kris an’ the others.”

“You got a Maid of Honour?” Jules hinted.

“Uh huh … why?” Gaby cheerfully stated, without thinking.

Soon after the words left her mouth, she noticed her sister starting to get visibly upset and realised what she had said. With Jenny looking on, Gaby put her arm around her sister’s shoulder in an effort to comfort her.

“I’m your sister … you never asked me... (sniff)” Tears started to run down Jules’ cheek.

“I’m sorry, sis … but … sisters are always the Maid of Honour. I just assumed…” Gaby quietly told her, as she tightly hugged Jules.

“You never asked.”

“Sorry. I didn’t think I had to … sorry.” Gaby continued hugging Jules while quietly talking to her.

“Sis ... for all the rough times an’ … even the good times we’ve had … you always … always … stood by me ... an’ there’s no reason that should change ... nor do I want it to. I really want you to be my Maid of Honour. Will ya do it?”

“Yes... (sniff)“ Jules softly replied.

A short time later, Jenny reminded Jules that Heinrich would be by early the next morning to take her into Bonn for her interview. With that, everybody called in a day.

“Okay, ladies … shall we go for a little early morning ride to wake up?” The next morning, George exited the team clubhouse and was crossing the car park when he addressed the assembled team.

As they mounted their bikes, the four newest members of Team Apollinaris were all cynically thinking what George meant by a ‘little ride’ and they couldn’t help but quietly laugh among themselves. Still, they knew that with the upcoming 2012 UCI* World Cup schedule, they couldn’t let up on their training.

Four hours later, a weary bunch of women rode into the car park of the Apollinaris clubhouse. George was well pleased with the workout and he didn’t hesitate to pass his feelings onto the ladies.

“Go cool down und I’ll have a lunch brought around for you. We’ll all get together later … around two? Nein … make it three, ja?” George called out as he retired to his office.

‘Cooling down’ is what all the girls looked forward to, for it meant a dip in the pool, a sauna and a massage, not necessarily in that order.

Later in the sauna, Gaby cornered her three friends.

“Guys … this is the first chance since the weekend that I’ve had to talk with you ... together.” Gaby was quite serious when she approached her friends.

“What’sup?” Kristen wondered.

“My wedding,” Gaby volunteered.

‘Oooo ... tell us!” Judith pressed.

“Okay ... now that Mad’s officially graduated, we’ve actually set a date and started to plan things. We decided we’re having two brides an’ two bridal parties. Mad’s got all her attendants ... but I’m short three bridesmaids ... well?”

Judith glanced at the other two before enthusiastically answering for them all.

“You serious? You know we would! ... Danke Gabi.”

“Just one more thing … Mad an’ I want you to keep your hair long ... at least like you have it now.”

“Interestin’ request,” Kristen voiced.

“We’ve decided we’d do something a tad different ... all of our dresses are right out of the Renaissance ... and we’d kinda like everyone to wear their hair long an’ straight,” Gaby explained.

“Where are you finding those dresses?” Nina wondered.

“Mad an’ I found several stores that supply clothes for Renaissance re-enactment groups ... we just have to choose one.”

“Kew-el!” Kristin enthused. “I guess that makes us your Ladies-in-waiting?”

“I promise you … you’ll be well treated. You’ll only be required to curtsey an’ address me as m’lady when in public,” Gaby dryly intoned.

“When’s the date?” Judith inquired.

“Next year … May 18th … if our schedule allows!” Gaby responded.
She then proceeded to let the girls know what she and Maddy had already discussed.

“We’re all getting our dresses at the same place, then?” Kristen asked.

“That’s the idea. So far, it looks like it’ll be from a place in Manchester ... but let Mad an’ I worry ‘bout that for now, okay? Maybe we can find some way to lessen the number of times we hafta fly back an’ forth.”

Following the team meeting later that afternoon, Gaby approached George and asked if she could have a moment.

“And how ist die Hochzeit coming along? It’s all your Mama seems to talk about!” George joked as the two were walking back to his office.

“Actually … that’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”

“Oh? How may I help?” George asked as they entered his office.

“Two things really … I was wonderin’ if you or Mike could use some extra help on the remaining World Cup Tour?”

“Like Maddy?”

“Uh huh ... it’d be so much easier to plan things if we’re together, rather than relying on phone and email. She helped Hans on the 2008 Junior World Cup … so I thought that maybe she could work with Mike?” Gaby asked.

“We’ll still be using the Internet to get ideas and email to keep in touch with everyone … but for some things ... you really need face-to-face interaction.”

While George listened, he took his seat behind his large desk.

“Kat’s already told me she won’t be able to help Mike this year,” she hurriedly added, as he looked at her.

“Ja … that ist unfortunate … she was gut.” Gaby remained silent, nervously biting her lower lip while George pondered her request.

After some minutes, he finally looked up at her.

“Ja. We could always use another body … but … I think not mit Mike. I … ja … I haff something else in mind. Haff her call me tonight at home und we’ll set things up. Now what was the other matter?”

“Is there any way I could get a team schedule for the rest of the year? That’d really help us plan the times when we could actually get together with everyone, like … getting our dresses an’ stuff.”

Gaby looked at George, hoping he’d appreciate the need for her request.

She added, “We’d probably need that schedule to go into next year or at least get a new one in the New Year.”

“You haff a date then?” George thoughtfully asked.

“We’re tentatively looking at May 18th … assuming that next year’s World Cup has a break in the schedule like it does this year,” Gaby replied.

“I’m sure the break will be there but I’ll try to confirm the timing with the UCI, for you. As for the schedule … we’ll have to work on that one and see what we can come up with … ja?”

Gaby thanked George and started to leave to meet her parents and go home but as she moved to get up, George casually held up his hand up, indicating that he wanted her to stay.

“Bitte?” George softly asked. “I’d like to talk mit you a bit more … if I may. It’ll only take a couple of minutes.” Gaby quickly searched her mind for something she did or didn’t do.

“Now, I understand from talking to your parents … that you und Maddy chose to pay for your own wedding … ist that correct?”

“We just felt our parents shouldn’t have to pay for our ideas … they have enough to worry about,” Gaby replied.

“I know all about your ‘ideas’ from your Mama, Gabi. I also know that repeatedly travelling between here und a certain city in England ist a big concern for the both of you ... ja?”

“A very big concern,” Gaby agreed. “We want to get married in Bad Neuenahr … but half of our wedding party’s back in England … an’ it’s possible we may be getting our dresses from a shop in Manchester ... so, if we do … there’ll be a lot of back an’ forth travel.”

I know … that’s why I decided to speak mit der CEO at corporate Apollinaris earlier today.” Gaby stared at George as he pushed his chair back from his desk.

“Both you und your Mama have done a lot for this team und Apollinaris would like to give you und Maddy a wedding gift to help mit your travels … you use of one of their planes to fly you und your friends between Germany und England when you need to. They vill even fly the British girls back home, after your wedding.”

George noticed the odd tear rolling down Gaby’s cheeks as she walked around his desk and gave Maria’s ‘teddy bear’ a big hug.

“Vielen Dank!” Gaby tearfully whispered. “You have no idea what this means to us...”

“Ja ... I do. You just told me...” George quietly answered.

Looking up, he saw Jenny smiling in the doorway and somehow he managed to flash a weak smile to her as he returned Gaby’s hug.

“Your Mama’s waiting … you go mit her, now. I’ll see you tomorrow … ja?”

“Ja … und Dank wieder, George…” Gaby softly replied as she turned to leave his office.
“How’d the interview go, sis?” Gaby later asked when she arrived home and saw Jules in the kitchen.

“I think it went okay, but I’ll have to wait until next week before they make their minds up.”

“Hi, luv. We got our first wedding gift today,” Gaby nonchalantly stated when Maddy came over later that evening.

“From who?” Maddy excitedly wondered.

“Apollinaris,” Gaby coyly replied.

“Well ... what is it?” Maddy was starting to get frustrated with her fiancée’s playful evasiveness.

“They’ve given us the use of one of their planes to fly between here and Manchester, when we need it. George said that even includes taking Em and the others back after the wedding!”

“Wow! That saves us a ton of money, doesn’t it?” Maddy replied as she sat down after hearing the news. “I’ll definitely have to thank George when I see him!”

They made sure they emailed Em and all of Maddy’s bridesmaids informing them of the free travel as well as their unusual request for the long hair.

Later in the evening, they were joined by both of their mums and Jules around the kitchen table for a tea and what had become, a semi-weekly wedding update.

“Because we’re gonna have a bit of a Renaissance-look to the wedding party with the dresses … Mad and I thought it would look nice if everyone lets their hair grow out … like the three of us (pointing to Maddy, Jules and herself) … including you two,” Gaby mentioned to both mothers.

“Us?” Carol wondered. “We’re not in the wedding party.”

“Yes … and … no,” Maddy replied. “Gaby and I thought it’d be nice if both parents walked each of us up the aisle.”

“We figured since the dads will be in a suit … you two could just wear a gown that would kinda fit in with the rest of us,” Gaby added.
“An’ if you wore your hair like us…”

“I think that’s a lovely idea, girls!” Jenny enthused. “I know your father’s going to like it. As I recall … he was rather disappointed when I first got my hair chopped off for riding.”

“It’s been ages since I had hair like you two!” Carol eagerly agreed to their daughter’s request as she ran her fingers through her own shoulder-length hair. “Although I don’t know how much it’ll grow by the time of your wedding.”

“It’s not too early to think about invitations, you know...” Jenny advised.

“If you girls haven’t already started …I’d suggest you draw up a guest list. The earlier you get them out, the better … particularly if they’re going to have to make any travel plans.”

Letting the girls think about it for a few seconds, she added, “Carol and I could probably add a few names. Why don’t you two come up with your list and we’ll come up with our own? Once we’re done … we’ll compare notes and put together a final list.”

“Sounds good,” both girls agreed.

“Oh! Before I forget … you’re to call George tonight. Mad. Mum’s got his number.”

“He’s working tonight?” Jenny questioned.

“No ... he wanted Mad to call ‘im at ‘ome.”

“Okay. Here you go, dear … use the phone in the lounge … it’s quieter,” Jenny mentioned as she wrote out George’s number and slid it over to Maddy.

A few minutes later, she came back into the kitchen where the others were still sat at the table.

“That didn’t take long,” Carol casually mentioned.

“He wants to see me first thing, tomorrow.”

“In that case, maybe it might be easier if we pick you up … say about seven-thirty?”
“Sounds good!”

Since Carol was staying a while longer, Gaby drove Maddy home after they reluctantly agreed to call it a night.

“Morgen, Liebling … you look pretty,” Gaby greeted her fiancée the following morning as she slid into the backseat, beside her.

“Morgen,” cooed Maddy.

“You’re only seeing George,” Gaby mentioned as she inspected Maddy’s outfit.

“An’ what makes you think I wore this for him?” Mad asked in a sexy voice, as she put her hand behind Gaby’s head and leaned in for a kiss.

Then with a pout and her puppy-dog eyes, she added, “Besides … if I get the job … it might be the last time you see me in a skirt for quite some time.”

Maddy agreed to stay at the Apollinaris facility following her interview with George and meet Gaby for lunch. Jenny told her someone would run her back home when she was ready.

When they pulled into the car park, Gaby was going to walk Maddy to George’s office but plans changed when they met him in the parking lot.

“Morgen, George,” both girls chorused. When he turned to return the greeting, they both asked him to convey their thanks to the sponsor for their wedding gift.

“Good luck, Mad … see you at lunch!”

After Gaby gave her a quick peck on the cheek, she hurried off to join the rest of the team preparing for their morning training ride.

“I got it! Starting next Monday. I’ll be working with George keeping the stats and stuff while the team’s on the road … so I’ll be with you when the team leaves for Montreal on the 23rd!” Maddy later exclaimed as she joined Gaby for lunch.

“In fact, you’ll be stuck with me every day until the tour is over, early September,” Maddy smugly stated. Then she very quickly added with a seductive little pout, “Well … as far as this job is concerned, anyway.”

The mood quickly changed, as she excitedly added in a hushed voice.

“Here’s the best news! George gave me the schedule you asked for … PLUS the World Cup Tour schedule. Notice what’s listed for 23rd of June?” Maddy handed a copy of the schedule to Gaby.

“Your Mum know?” Maddy excitedly continued.

“I expect she does,” Gaby looked up at Maddy and flatly replied.

“Here’s the ‘kicker’. Does she know George wants you to ride the ‘Fem’?” Maddy leaned over towards Gaby and quietly asked.

“He told me he’ll announce the rest of the schedule and the selected cyclists for each race at this afternoon’s team meeting … an’ he wants me there as well as both your ‘rents. Sweetheart … you okay?”

“Yeah. I’d kinda like to see Mum’s face when she’s told,” Gaby solemnly replied as the realization dawned on her.

“You know … ever since she won the Tour de Feminine and both Jules and I shared the podium with her for the PR shots … I’ve dreamed of riding in the ‘Fem with her an’ we’d share the podium as teammates.” (sigh)

“Technically … you’re still teammates. So it may happen yet,” Maddy whispered.

Gaby’s training between races and her individual performance in races became if anything, more aggressive for the remainder of the 2012 World Cup series. She left Montreal with a fourth place finish and a firm hold on second place in the overall World Cup standings.

It was only when the team was enroute to France, Gaby learned that her parents would be there to see her ride every stage of the race. The Apollinaris organization had decided to bring the participants in their 2012 youth program along, to observe the “Tour” first-hand.

Her wish had kind of come true. Jenny ‘rode’ every kilometer with her daughter in spirit and re-lived the day’s ride with her, in the evenings!

Jenny thought it ironic that her involvement with the youth program during the race season meant she’d never been able to take time-off to see Gaby race as a pro. Now that the Apollinaris youth program was viewing the ‘tour’, she had the chance.

Riding in her first ‘Fem’, Gaby captured two of the five stages, including the Time Trials. She placed fifth in the last stage of the race but came in overall third in the ‘Tour de Feminine’ with her accumulated points and won the ‘Best Young Rider’ jersey.

In the first part of August, Gaby proudly rode for Great Britain in the 2012 Olympics. In a very close finish over a 125 kilometre course that wound around the Regent Park site, she managed to win a silver medal behind her teammate Nicole Cooke, by less than a wheel-length. Katherine Bates of Australia came a distant third.

In all the 2012 World Cup series, Gaby had been on the final podium a total of six times and with the ‘Tour de Berne’ and the ‘Holland Ladies Tour’, those podium appearances were for first place. She’d managed to convincingly keep her place in the GC and ended the season second overall in the World Cup standings as the youngest cyclist in the top 10!

She also got her podium wish, in a round-about way.

Like in Paris, back when Jenny won the ‘Fem’, the three Bond women shared the podium for the ‘Holland Ladies Tour’. This time, it was Jenny and Jules who flew in for the last stage and ended up posing with Gaby. Jenny was simply beside herself with pride in her daughter!

Team Apollinaris was very pleased with their newest ‘Bond girl’, that year. George finished the season believing he had found the perfect all around combination with the addition of Gaby, Kristen, Judith and Nina to the pro team. He also had his Porsche — Bond duo back, just like he always thought he would.

~~~~

*UCI — Union Cycliste Internationale: based in France, the UCI is the governing body for the sport of cycling, covering both amateur and professional levels.
 
 
Comments are Greatly Appreciated!


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

loved this story

I loved this story when i first read it a year ago. great to see it posted here.
Have you had a chance to do any more for the 4th book?
great work, thanks

Valid questions...

I loved this story when i first read it a year ago. great to see it posted here.

My mistake, really. I was updating this in 'My Stories' when I accidentally DELETED 'Reconciliation 6' - comments an' all. However, I was able to reconstruct the entry for the chapter. I guess the system looked at it as a new story & automatically posted.

I was actually in the process of quietly updating the complete trilogy & once that was done, possibly mention it in a blog. As it stands, Books 2 & 3 are now updated. Click on 'authors' & search for PB. They're all there.

Have you had a chance to do any more for the 4th book?

Good question! :(

I think my muse is now officially listed as MIA. but that's not to say I've given up on it. Call me stubborn ... it will be finished. Currently it's all down to one-half of one chapter. I'd have no qualms about posting the rest, except that afore-mentioned chapter happens to be 3-of-12 (sounds like a Borg designation). The rest of the '4th book' is complete.

I could post chapters 1 & 2, I guess - but I'd really like to avoid getting into a situation where there's a huge gap before chapter 3 comes along.

PB

updated books

after i read them on Maddy's site i bought the downloads from Lulu. is there new material thats been added?
and since i read chapter's 1 & 2 on Maddy's site its already been a while. just let us know when your ready to post it.
Thanks

Updates ....

Is there new material?

Not a great deal. Think of it as Spring Cleaning. Maybe some new lines of dialogue, certainly some tidying of some gramatical imperfections, re-wording of some text to make it less cumbersome, etc .... but no new plot twists or anything drastic. Like Karen J has repeatedly admitted in various comments the trilogy originally recieved ... PB (that's me) can't leave well enough alone. All I can say is, 'Guilty as charged, m'lard'.

It seemed everytime I re-read my own stuff, I found something new, but like I said ... no new plot twists, nothing drastic.

As of today (May 9, 2011) I'm half-way complete in updating all the chapters in Book 3, "Reconciliation". That will just leave Book 1, "All things denied..." for my attention.

Your previous question on "Never My Love" - commonly thought of as 'Book 4', seemed to have awaken a spark, so you can never tell...

PB

Original comments restored...

Life and posting
Submitted by Karen J on Fri, 2008/11/07 - 8:40am.

I apologize for the erratic posting of PB's story the last several weeks. This is the busy season for printers and associated industries, more so with the economy the way it is. Black Friday has assumed a much larger role in the retail forecasts, and retailers are scrambling to make last minute price adjustments. That means scrapping several months worth of work and going back to square one in some cases.

Then there is the situation with my mother. Thankfully that is getting back to normal, or as normal as it can get. The clot-busters did their job and my mom is recovering. We expect/hope to get her checked out of the physical rehab facility this afternoon and moved back to the assisted living center she now calls home.

So here's the chapter that was scheduled for last Wednesday, and I hope to post Saturday's chapter on time or maybe by sometime Sunday.

A bit of a tease here: For those of you that think you have already read the original version of this on Maddy Bell's website, bzzzzt! Wrong! PB has plotted a new chapter for the story, with material previously not used, so we now have a new Chapter 9 and a total of eleven chapters! The new chapter adds answers to some of the questions y'all have been asking.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather

The Beginning Of The Wedding
Submitted by stanman63 on Fri, 2008/11/07 - 11:46am.

Wonderful to see the two finally setting the date. And it's time for Em to stop apologizing. I just hope that the dresses aren't eyesores.

May Your Light Forever Shine


Fun and Sentimental as always..
Submitted by Annette on Sat, 2008/11/08 - 7:34am.

One point that concerns me - the Hair. As it grows 6 inches/15 cm on averge a year... That's not going to be LONG for any of the girls that had really short hair. If they've got shoulder length already, it's probalby okay though. Sorry, little details like that get to me. Of course, there's hair extensions... But I've never seen them looking really good.

Otherwise, I think the renaisance theme is NEAT.

Thanks for sharing this.

Annette

Hair
Submitted by Karen J on Sat, 2008/11/08 - 10:46am.

While not actually stated, it seems implied that the girls have roughly shoulder-length hair to begin with. The idea is to not cut their hair until after the wedding, so somebody doesn't show up with a new short hairstyle right before the wedding.

As for hair extensions, that is one place where price = quality. A well-trained stylist using the best hair can do wonders. Particularly if you are starting with something medium-length to begin with, as extensions are not applied to the hair on top of the head. But for the purposes of the wedding, a nice fall would work as well and be a lot cheaper (not cheap, cheaper).

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather

The 'official' word
Submitted by Karen J on Sat, 2008/11/08 - 12:08pm.

Just got this from PB:

"One point that concerns me - the Hair. As it grows 6 inches/15 cm on average a year... That's not going to be LONG for any of the girls that had really short hair. If they've got shoulder length already, it's probably okay though. Sorry, little details like that get to me. Of course, there's hair extensions... But I've never seen them looking really good."

Thanks for the comment. As for the hair, no one in the wedding party has short hair. However in mentioning it to the girls, Gaby and Maddy ensured that the other girls wouldn't decide to 'change' their hairstyle.

Gaby did have extensions, approximately mid-back length that she acquired after the Atlanta race, courtesy of her mum, but now, years later, those extensions have been replaced by her own long hair of a similar length, if not longer.

As for Carol and Jenny. The only mention of length is that Carol has shoulder-lenght hair. We aren't certain about Jenny's length now that she's not competing, but she does hint that it's not as long as it was when she met Dave.

"Otherwise, I think the Renaissance theme is NEAT."

You'll enjoy "Reconciliation 7", then .... that's all I'll say about that!

Thanks for sharing this

Thank you.....

PB

I really love the wedding
Submitted by Janice Lynn on Sat, 2008/11/08 - 11:03am.

I really love the wedding gowns idea that Gaby and Maddy have come up with. There are several periods in time when women had beautiful gowns and this is one of them. Women wanted to be feminine and alluring and this should really do it for them. J-Lynn