A Nations Child

Printer-friendly version

A Nations Child

By
Jacquimac

A&E Christmas Eve

The child was found in the local park around 9.30pm and rushed to the nearest Accident and Emergency Unit, it`s condition was terrible. Clothed only in a nappy that looked like it hadn`t been changed in days going of the faeces and smell terribly of urine, never had a child been admitted to the hospital in such a state. Even experienced medical staff were struggling with they`re emotions and trying hard not to vomit.

A cursory examination took place and the duty surgeon called, the nurses tenderly cleaned the child who was unconscious as the injuries to small body were horrific and life threatening. X Rays were quickly taken, examined and the the child was rushed to operating room (OR) for immediate surgery.

The outside temperature was minus 5 celsius and the child had been starting to get frost bite, by the look of things the child had been dumped hoping death would take place. It had been most fortunately a dog walker happened on the poor mite and called the emergency services.

The X rays showed that all four limbs had multiple breaks. several ribs were broken and a lung had been pierced, and suffering from frostbite and a severe case of malnutrition. A fuller examination would take place when the patient`s condition stabilised although survival was doubtful, but the doctors and nurses would fight to their very souls this Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day

The child was brought into the Intensive care Unit (ICU) about 3 am and was put onto Life support every orofice of the frail body had a tube either going in or out of the body along with Intravenous Infusion and a pulmonary drain from the chest. Most of the childs body was encased in bandages and plaster casts and instruction had been issued if the childs condition changed the surgeon was to called immediately.

A mood of depression fell on the ICU staff, except for this child all the other patients were elderly and in a lot better condition.

The ward sister said "what a christmas for any child, but who could do this and cruely abandon somebody to die on christmas day of all days"

The noise of the machines was disturbing the other patients so the child with difficulty was moved into a side ward with a nurse in 24 hour attendance.

Later that morning the surgeon with one of the administrators entered ICU to see how the patient doing, sadly there was no change in the childs condition the poor mite was just barely holding onto life.

No identification of the child was possible yet, the police had done a door enquiry in the immediate area with no luck. all they`re attempts at Identification had failed, there were no missing person reports filed the night before or this day. When the staff looked at the medical records it sad to see the name was left blank, they couldn`t even attempt a name as on closer examination the child was found to be an hermaphrodite.

There was only identification may be possible and the hospital reluctantly called a press conference for the next morning of both local and national media.

The next day

The press conference assembled with the police, surgeon and case doctor in attendance, the ground rules were laid that certain aspects would be left out of any story to protect the child and the meeting had been called in an attempt to identify the unknown child.

The story of how the child was found unfolded and the reporters were shocked into silence when it was clear how horrific the injuries were and the condition of the child. They stopped the bombardment of questions and listened to what the experts involved told them, taking notes. They had no questions and started to leave after being refused to take pictures.

Sally Bowman a well known Fleet Street reporter remained behind, she looked lost for thought and the hospital press officer approached her. Jim Wall had worked with Sally before and knew she could be trusted to tell the story straight with no embellishments, permission was granted for her to visit the ICU and see the patient. She was warned again about the condition of the child and would be allowed to take a few pictures.

After leaving the ward Sally broke down, although a veteran reporter and had been in a few war zones the plight of this child broke through her armour. They went to Jim`s office and after she composed herself they talked, Jim told her a few things that were under no circumstances to be leave the hospital. Sally understood that the child needed protection from various elements of society and it would do nobody good if the full strory was revealed at this time.

Sally had a few contacts in Television and Radio and would get them involved, making the stipulation that she would approve any news reports, luck would have it that the electronic media agreed to use her reports.

That night the story hit the Radio and TV airways and the various switchboard to the companies were flooded with calls, not to help identifying the child but to send in donations. The public responce was one of horror, letter pages in the newspapers were saying that if they were caught the culprits should be put to death, such was the anger of the British public.

A fund was set up and within days several million pounds had been donated by the end of the first week, money was pouring in from the wealthy to children who donated their pocket money, yes the British knew that although they couldn`t help in a physical way they could help by ensuring that costs bourne by the victim would be met.
Yet no clues of the childs identification were forth coming, no matter what was tried.

While all this was happening the unknown child was still unconscious in a hospital room still fighting for life.

Dr Young was a constant visitor, he knew further sugery was required and was trying to put it off until the child`s condition improved to give a better than 70/30% chance against survival, but he knew he couldn`t wait much longer fi there was to be any chance at all.

Donation to the hospital were proving to be a headache for the staff in reception and administration, it wasn`t monetry donations but toys, and clothing, flowers were also another problem but one easily dealt with, they were scattered around the other wards.

A special all denomination service was held daily in the hospital chapel praying for the child, soon spread to other places of worship around the town. The heart of the nation poured out to this small child, politicians were being accosted on the streets and demands were being made for much stiffer sentences for crimes against children, and the politicians knew they were going to be held accountable at the next election if nothing was done. Too many children in this country died through violence and the public had had enough of it.

One week later

Dr Young examined the child and decided they couldn`t wait any longer, the child was taken in OR and under went surgery for the second time. Several hours later the surgery succesfully completed the child was returned to ICU again to play the waiting game. A full Cat scan was the next step to see if anything was needed to be done, but that could wait until the child improved. It had been touch and go during the last operation almost losing the patient twice, but now chances were better that even that the child would recover.

Bulletings were put out by the press and electonic media on the condition of the "Christmas Child" as the patient was now called by everyone.People rang constantly to find out about the patients condition, some had even tried to visit but had been refused, all except for one old lady who had flown from New Zealand just to see the child.
Mrs Madison had sat at the side of the bed and prayed for this poor soul and before she left laid a rosary on the childs chest.

She thanked the Hospital Staff and left her details asking to be kept informed on the childs progress, she also made a sizable donation towards the childrens wing then departed to catch her plane back home.

one month later

The casts were removed and a full cat scan was done, the results were being analysed and could take two or three days before being reported on. All attempts at identification of the child had still produced no results and the police were no further in they`re investigations

The child was no longer on life support but was still being fed by tube, there were no signs of regaining consciousness but they nurses now only looked it when neccessary, the waiting game was still being played.

The ward sister Judith Makin went into the room and found the bed empty, she hit the panic button and the staff came running. Straight away a search was carried out, were had the child got to ? they new the child couldn`t leave the ward as the security door was always kept locked. Try as they may they searched everywhere but no sign of the child, until someone notice the door on small locker at the side of bed wasn`t quite closed.

Was it possible the child could be in the locker ?, the door was opened and there was the child although how it was managed to get that tiny body in such a small space was beyond belief. The child was carefully eased out of the locker and put back into bed, you could see the look of fear in the poor mites face but not a word came from that child.

The Doctor and surgeon were called and examined the child, finding no signs of injury except for a slight bruising they ordered that the child be put into restraints for safety

Attempts were made at asking the child questions but no answers were forth coming, they were beginning to thing that the child couldn`t talk so the Ear, Nose and Throat consultant was sent for, an examination found that the child could hear and make sounds. Was it possible the child was retarded ?.

The child was hande a book and just looked at it and back to the doctors.

Dr Young said " No I don`t think the child is retarded but has been kept in almost complete isolation"

Sister Judith asked " what makes you think that"

Dr Young said "look how the book is being held, it`s upside down"

They all went to a meeting and it was decided that the courts should determine my future.

Two days later the cat scan results came back.

The following week

The child was moved from the ICU into the childrens ward, on arrival the nurses started making of fuss of the patient.

The ward sister Mary McCarthy had told the nurse about the childs problems and that they should help the child were they could.

A teacher was brought in to teach the child to read and a speech therapist to help the child to talk, that would take up the morning. The afternoons was spent in physiotherapy to try and strengthen the muscles in the small body.

A meeting was held daily in the sisters office with all those involved in the childs care and welfare, the nurses were worried that the child didn`t want to paly with the toys or other children. Linda the child Psychologist told them that the child was thought to been have been kept in almost complete isolation and would need time to adjust.

one month later

The child was starting to talk and at first with difficulty was able to communicate with the nurses and the teacher.
Sometimes what was said made no sense but with help understanding was reached by both parties. At first the other children ridiculed the child, 1. because the child was treated like a baby even to point of wearing baby style clothing, the child never complained probably because these were the first clothes the child had worn.
2. Because the child couldn`t talk much better than a baby, 3.couldn`t read and write, the child looked to be around the age of 7.

The nurses got all the children together and told them that they were mean and had to stop they`re bad behaviour and they should all apologise. They children did apologise but except for one small girl stayed away ignored the child.

The next day another meeting was held and the decision of court was announced to the medical staff. the child was moved into a side ward and prepped for surgery again and taken to OR.

For the next week the child was kept sedated and lovingly cared for my the nurses.

At the end of month the child was finally discharged from hospital after 3 months of treatment

The nurses came in an hour before they`re shift started and began getting the child ready for discharge, first came a bath, the child still wore nappies but has progressed to pull-ups, after the child was fed and dressed.

A woman arrived from social services to take charge of the child and after all the paperwork collected the child.

"Come along Jesse lets get you to your new home" she said smiling down at the little girl.

Yes the courts on advice from the doctors it had been decided it would be in the childs best interest to be wholly female. As it had began on Christmas Eve the names Jesse Matilda had been picked. The meaning of Jesse is Gift and meaning of Matilda is Mighty Battler. A surname had been chosen but it was a surprise until she met her new Guardian.

Jesse Matilda took very little of what had been donated for her and the majority was donated to the poorer families. Off the money donated it was decided that one third of the total be set up a trust for her and the rest be used by the various childrens charity.

The names suited Jesse was gift to all and Matilda had fought and beat the odds against survival, now she had the long road through life.Nobody knew how old she was so a new birth certificate back dated 5 years from Christmas day.

The old lady that had flown all the way from New Zealand just to see the child had been busy since her return, she had hired a few international lawyers and had beome the childs mother. A fresh start in a new country would be a big help, but whatever happened it would be a lot better than Jesse had ever had.

Her original family had never been found, so starting life again as a five year old would prove beneficial for Jesse and for her future.

The Old lady turned out to be only 35 years of age and because she was too well known as disguised herself to prevent unwanted publicity.

The Christmas child helped bring the nation together to see the suffering and plight of thousands of children around the country.

20 years later in New Zealand

Jesse Matilda Hunter now almost 26 yrs of age has blossomed into a very beautiful, intelligent and caring young woman. Her mother has handed all the family businesses to her and has retired but still lives and watches over Jesse like a mother hen.

Jesse was remarkably intelligent and very quickly overtook her peers in school, she became very popular and was loved everywhere she went. With her early experiences in child cruelty has become a champion for children all over the world and has set up at some cost several large orphanages and a self sustaining fun to fund them.

She visits these orphanages at least once a year and is loved by the children and staff alike, she has also adopted herself 3 children who like herself were cruelty treated although only one of then had gender problems.
The children 2 boys and girl have adapted to life very well but occassionally still have nightmares.

New plans are in place for the orphanage children to spend time in enviroments outside they`re own countries so they can further their education.

Jesse still has her own battles to fight but with the help of others that care for her she will win as she always does.Her true parentage was never discovered and the file was never closed.

The British Government after an holding an investigation discovered that social services were failing when it came to child protection and new legislation was introduced to hold those accountable responsible for they`re actions. Unfortunately due to the outgoing signing the European human rights Charter punishing offenders got even more lax. Certain key figures within social services were fired and could never get work in child services again and the system slowly tightened up proceedures.

Note. In 2009 in the UK it was reported that 18.6 % of children suffered maltreatment from parents or guardians, these include sex crimes, abandonment and verbal/or physical violence,with 228 dying at the hands of their parents over a five year period.
There has also been cases of parents selling their children.

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Nations Child

Jesse Matilda Hunter is one child that knows what love is and will fight for other who need her fight for them.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Charity and donations

I'm really sick of donations being made to a person and it being disbursed into other charities.
The money was donated to the child - all of it - not 1/3 - all of it.

Do you know the Aberfan Disaster fund has been going for nearly 50 years - the parents and children it was meant for were given 20,000 pounds each- the fund remains mostly untouched. It was deemed too much to give to the poor mining town - Paternalistic Parochialism - who are they to decide? - The money was given to the victims - they never got it.

Sorry to rant on your lovely story.

That's quite true about the Aberfan fund.

There is an even more sickening twist to the Aberfan story.

A hefty slice of the fund was used to pay for the expense of removing and then stabilising the the slag heap that buried the school and over a hundred children (plus their teachers.)

The National Coal Board (NCB.) applied to the fund's administrators and persuaded them to release monies from the fund to pay for the remedies to THEIR Slag heap. (Spoil heap.)

That demonstrates the sickening degree of patronising parochialism that to this day, (Although to a lesser degree.) still afflicts British society.

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Maybe It's Me...

...but the impression I got from the description at the beginning of the story was that the child was a helpless newborn baby, rejected by its parents, critically injured and left to die. (Especially since the story seemed to be drawing parallels to the Nativity, down to eventually calling her Jesse.)

So I found it somewhat disorienting when they started asking her questions, putting a book in her hands, etc., less than three months later.

Also, the authorities succeeded in enlisting the nation's sympathy, but by concealing her most identifiable feature, they virtually guaranteed that her parents would never be identified and brought to justice. It's a legitimate tradeoff, I suppose, but as described here they're doing it while claiming to do exactly the opposite.

Eric

A Word of Balance

Yes -- horrible people do horrible things that defy logic.

Yet -- for every transgendered child who is abused there are many, many others who are loved and nurtured.

This story spoke to the compassion of nearly everyone who touched this child.

The author apparently identified strongly with this child and that would suggest a childhood that was far from perfect. I'm sorry that happened. It is grossly unfair how some have it so good and others are seemingly cursed.

A few days ago I went to the funeral of my best friend's son. He had suffered from depression all his life and committed suicide at 33, leaving a beautiful young wife and handsome one year old son. My friend is a positive giving person who has lived a life of service. When he received the phone call about his son he was on a mission to India through his church. They were helping a remote village with water purification.

Bad things happen to good people. What happened to the child in this story had nothing to do with her other than she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Thank you for a thought provoking story.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Rememberance

jacquimac's picture

I wrote the story in rememberance of the tens of thousands of children who are brutally murdered by their own families every year in the so called "Civilised Western World"

Peter Connelly (also known as "Baby P" was murdered by his mother and her boyfriend on the 3rd of August 2007. The Autopsy revealed a broken back, Broken Ribs,The tips of his Fingers sliced off, his finger nails torn out and 50 other injuries.

Baby "P" or Peter Connelly was 17 months old at the time of death and Truly was the Nations Child. The public outcry resounded from end of the country to the other along with Grief.

I wrote this Story substituting a Transgendered Child but changed the ending to a happy one.

Although New Legislation was introduced in the UK to futher protect children these horrific deaths still continue today.

Hugs

Jackie

Just a Suggestion

After writing such a hard-hitting story you might find it refreshing to write a mindless piece of fluff. I've done that a few times and it does seem to help.

A simple wish-fulfillment story might work.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Regarding baby "P"

WebDeb's picture

The whole nation has blood on it's hands. Just as the mother stood by and watched her boyfriend slowly torture and eventually kill this poor defenceless child so did the authorities entrusted to prevent such child cruelty.

So many visits to the "family" by social workers and yet they ignored all the alarming injuries inflicted on this child before he was inevitably murdered by someone who had a duty of care.

As a child brought up in "care" in the 70's I gained a deep mistrust of social workers who were uncaring of my personal wellbeing. It saddens me that in the new millenium they still seem as inept and uncaring as ever.

Regarding baby "P"

WebDeb's picture

The whole nation has blood on it's hands. Just as the mother stood by and watched her boyfriend slowly torture and eventually kill this poor defenceless child so did the authorities entrusted to prevent such child cruelty.

So many visits to the "family" by social workers and yet they ignored all the alarming injuries inflicted on this child before he was inevitably murdered by someone who had a duty of care.

As a child brought up in "care" in the 70's I gained a deep mistrust of social workers who were uncaring of my personal wellbeing. It saddens me that in the new millenium they still seem as inept and uncaring as ever.

Good story.

Shades of!!

Some parrallels to mine but no guardian angels when and where it mattered.

I'll PM You.

Bev.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg