Concert of Remembrance Pt 9

Printer-friendly version

Concert of Remembrance Pt 9

by

Jacquimac

Part 9

The older members of the British Legion joined in on this song , If you looked at the faces that could be seen you could see them remembering the war years and the sadness when they remember old friends and comrades.

The narrations were great as before ,The jive band followed by Lester sing the Al Bowly song

Goodnight Sweetheart, all my prayers are for you
Goodnight Sweetheart, I'll be watching o'er you
Tears and parting may make us forlorn
But with the dawn a new day is born
So I'll say goodnight Sweetheart, sleep will banish sorrow
Goodnight Sweetheart, when we meet tomorrow
Dreams enfold you, in them, dear, I'll hold you
Goodnight Sweetheart goodnight.

the Orchestra folowed doing a couple of Glenn Miller tunes.

Time was catching up on us and the two who going to do the Flannigan and Allen number hadn`t turned up, we found out later that they in hospital after a car hit them.
It was my turn and I as Gracie fields sang

Now is the hour, for us to say goodbye
Soon you`ll be sailing far across the sea
Do not forget but, please remember me
When you you return , you`ll find me waiting here

I love you dear, but duty calls for for you
How I will miss you when you are far away
God guard you dear, and guide you safely home
When you return, you`ll find me waiting here.

We carried on and finished the show with the Army Chaplin reading a prayer followed by a two minutes silence.

We all went back on stage and were met with a thunderous applause, the chairman of the local Branch of the British Legion came on stage and thanked us drinks were being handed round and all us kids got cola or lemonade. Everybody congratulated us on a fine show and quite a few said they hadn`t expected such a great concert.

We were the Bee`s Knees and were glad we hadn`t made a mess of it. We were told that Steve and Joe would be in hospital for a few weeks after their accident so it was decided to leave out their bit in the concert.

We were now ready for the performance of our lives all we had to do was make sure that we all turned up on the night and barring illness, accidents etc I don`t think anyone would fail to show up.

We did make one slight change two of the pupils were actually Maori so I suggested that they sing the Maori Version of "Now is the Hour" someone complained that there wasn`t enough time to make or get hold of suitable costumes. I reminded the wardrobe mistress that they had they`re own costumes as they took part in Maori gatherings round the UK so costumes wouldn`t be a problem.

The pupils were twins Atarangi and Matiu and were part of the choir and the choirmistress agreed, we put it them and they agreed as their grandfather was a Veteran of WW2, anyway it added it a bit of culture to the concert and filled the missing gap.

up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments