White Skates

Printer-friendly version

White Skates

Small boy holds on to his mother’s hand, as they navigate the store, looking for the right place. Soon, they are in sporting goods, and the two of them join the small group of boys and girls and harried parents getting new skates.

“I want white skates, momma.” The small boy practically whispers.

“White skates are for girls.” She says, and sits him down so the salesclerk can measure his feet. Soon they are stuffed into black skates, and the mother says “Now you’ll be able to play hockey.”

“Don’t want to play hockey. Want to skate.” the boy whispers.

“That kind of skating is for girls.” his mother says, and takes the black skates off to the counter to pay for them.

Years go by, a decade, then nearly two, and then one day, a figure in a thrift store dress hovers near the sporting goods department, waiting for the crowd to thin out. Finally, the figure seems to take a deep breath, and approaches the clerk.

“I would like a pair of white skates, please.” She says softly.

“Certainly, miss. Let me measure your feet.” the clerk says professionally.

The young woman glows at the word “miss” and takes off her shoes, revealing the inexpertly painted toes visible in knee high stockings.

The sales clerk measures her feet, and soon she is wobbling on a pair of white skates. A careful test under the watchful eye of the clerk later, she takes them off, and takes them to the counter to pay.

Later, she walks down the street from the store, her skates in a box in a bag on her shoulder. She heads to a community center, and goes inside, and looks at the indoor rink. Its beginner’s skate time, so she finds a chair, pulls off her shoes, and works her feet into the skates.

At first, she is wobbly, but years of practice in black skates come back to her, and she is soon gliding across the ice.

She looks over at a young girl in a figure skating costume and for a moment, allows envy to rise in her mind. “Never will be a figure skater now, far too late.” she thought.

Then she shook her head, and thought, “No. Today isn't a day for negative thoughts.”

Eventually, she tires, and comes off the ice and takes off the skates. She puts them carefully back in their box, and walks home.

When she gets to her room, she goes to a large piece of paper, once folded and hidden, now left out in the open. She picks up a pen, and looks for an item on a list on the paper.

She finds the one that says “Go Skating - in white skates.” and checks it off with satisfaction, sighs with contentment, and puts the skates away for another day.

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dreams Checklist

Yeah, I have a list like that, a list of dreams. I made a list on the left page of my diary for dreams I've accomplished, and on the right for those not yet done. At one point, the list on the right was almost empty, and I didn't really have much motivation other than doing my job and living my life. I had to spend some time to make some new dreams to work towards. The ones accomplished give confidence, and the ones to do give motivation and drive to live.

Good story.

I hope it is not a Bucket List

RAMI

I do hope it is a Dream List, and not a Bucket List, a list that she must accomplish in a short time before she dies adeath which is imminent.

Cannot tell from the story which is which.

Rami

RAMI

thanks, Rami

I suppose its possible that its a "bucket list" but does death have to be imminent to have one? thanks for the comment.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

By definition it is

RAMI

By definition, a bucket list is something you want to do before you "Kick The Bucket." There are time constraints to do so. I guess you can make a bucket list before death is either imminent or you have reached a certain age. But I think that is more a wish list. Spliting hairs maybe. But comments are fun.

RAMI

RAMI

My kids...

My kids started their bucket lists when they were in their mid teens. They have already marked some items off and add more now and then.

I was thinking more along

I was thinking more along the lines of things to do before I kick the bucket in 40 or 50 years, not things to get done quickly because I am about to die.

I never compiled a list 'like that'.

I never expected to live that long.

If I ever did compile a list it would only have one item. LIVE!! or more correctly, survive! (And I've achieved that so my ambitions are met.)

Live long.

Beverly.

XZXX

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

thanks, Beverly

wasnt that a quote from someone famous? "My goal is to live forever, So far, so good."

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

A list of dreams

always a good thing to have. Thank you for the comment.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Feel Good Story

laika's picture

That was just right on! Almost like ....... zen or something, how it's so simple but says so much,
without a lot of explanation, about this girl and her life and how far she's come :)
This is one I'd like to see in one of those TG Fiction anthologies.
~~hugs, Veronica

thank you, Veronica

that's a great compliment.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

thanks, Valentine

thank you

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

White Skates

NEVER give up your dream.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Girls play hockey, too…

I just wish girls' ice hockey uniforms looked girlier— with white skates!

The Rev. Anam Chara+

Anam Chara

than you, Reverand

true, girls play hockey. But there is something very feminine about figure skating. The costumes, the grace ... sigh. Thanks for commenting.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I really like this Dorothy

I love the idea of making a list of missed things she never got to do before.

Bailey Summers

Thank you, Bailey

I'm glad you liked it.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

thank you Deb

who knows what else would be on her checklist? what would be on yours?

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Love your stories

WebDeb's picture

The big question? No answer would explain my plight.
Suffice to say my wish list would be to full transition and forget about my unhappy years of boyhood.
Had I been free to be the girl that I am no check list would be required. Alas I am a victim of my own body.
I don't even play the national lottery as it is as unlucky as being a sperm reaching the egg and declared a boy even though they could not understand my true nature.
I guess penis's rule the world.
PS Any girl suffering from penis envy is most welcome to take my one

Ah, skates!

When I was seven or eight, I wanted the white roller-skates with red and blue trim, like the girl next door had, but alas, I ended up with the blue skates, with white and red trim, like my brothers had. *sulk* Just kidding. But I do identify with that a lot!

Lisa

White skates

Me like. Thanks, Dorothy.

Beautiful

Brings to mind the movie 'The Bucket List'. But this has a reference to life.

Thought for the day...

... if you haven't written a bucket list.... start by listing all the first times you did something to express your alternative spirit (or gender)... and enjoy the thoughts this brings.... Then, you can write the bucket list that will take you to the more feminine you that you drseam of! try it - it worked for me. xx