Device One

Printer-friendly version
Device One
By Julie O
A paid cruise down the west coast of Mexico, who could complain about that?

 

Device One
By
Julie O

Edited by Amelia R.

Chapter 1

Someday in the Not-So-Distant Future


I woke up staring into a bright light. It was so intense that, even with my eyes closed, it showed through. When I tried to block it with my hand, I found that I was tied down. I tried to move the other, and it was also tied down. What the hell was going on?

I struggled to get free and found that my legs were also immobilized.

"Calm down, you can't break free, and I don't want you to hurt yourself," stated a man. The voice was familiar, but I couldn't quite place it; in fact, just thinking of simple things was very difficult.

"The right...preeze dim the right," I stammered. What the hell? My voice sounded so different, almost as if I had an accent.

"Since you said please, I will turn it down," stated the man with a laugh.

The light above my face was turned off, and I opened my eyes. My head was held in place, and I couldn't shift it, but from what I could see I was in some sort of laboratory or medical facility.

"Where...where... am...I?" I asked.

"All in good time, my sweet," said the man, who was standing behind me.

I struggled to see him, but was unable. Did he just call me "my sweet?"

I should explain my name at the time was Vince Decatur, and I was twenty-eight. My job was as a journalist for a major travel magazine. In fact, the last thing that I could remember before waking up was that I had been on a cruise down the Mexican Coast. The ship had left San Diego the previous day, and we were heading to Cabo San Lucas. It was a great deal, as not only was the cruise free, I was also being paid to be there.

"Preeze let me up," I begged.

The man laughed again. "Sorry, it's just that I didn't expect the changes to be so complete so fast."

Changes? What the hell was he talking about?

"Would you like to see how you look?" he asked.

What did he mean by that? I knew how I looked. I was six-one, one hundred and eighty pounds, dark brown hair, emerald green eyes, and also a very nice goatee which the ladies really liked.

I could hear the whir of an electric motor, and a full-length mirror moved into place above me.

I stared at the reflection in the mirror and gasped. What sort of trick was this? I wiggled my fingers and the image did the same. I don't know how to put this, but it now appeared that I was a young Japanese woman.
 

Chapter 2

I was completely naked, and I could see that my body was now totally feminine, and I mean TOTALLY! My cock was gone, and in its place was a vagina. I had breasts too. My waist was thin and my hips much larger. I was also much shorter than before. I would have to guess that I was barely five-four now.

What shocked me most was my face. I had almond shaped eyes. They were no longer green; now they were brown. My hair was now jet black, and from what I could tell was very long.

If I had to guess, I would say that I looked like I was a teenager, no older that seventeen or eighteen, give or take a few years.

I wiggled my fingers to confirm that I was actually looking at my reflection. My fears were confirmed, and it began to sink in that I had been changed. I also noticed that I now had long red nails on each of my slender fingers.

"Did...did you do... this to me?" I asked. I found it difficult to speak; each word had to be forced out. In some ways, it reminded me of when I learned Spanish and first tried speaking it in public, as each sentence had to be thought out first.

"Yes, my sweet I did," he replied.

"This isn't possible," I stammered. 'You can't... can't operate on someone and make them... smaller."

"That's true, but I didn't operate on you in the conventional way," he said. "I would explain the details to you, but I doubt your tiny mind would comprehend, also I would have to use big words that you would have trouble understanding or translating."

What did he mean by that? I had a college education!

"Let's just say that I used a combination of micro-surgery and DNA techniques to transform you. Vincent Decatur no longer exists; you are now Kiku Suzuki. You are also totally Japanese and completely female in all ways," he stated. "Basically, you were injected with tiny machines called nanites."

My eyes opened up wide in shock. I remembered reading something about those techniques, but for some reason I couldn't place the details. "Nanites?" I asked.

"Yes, my dear Kiku, it means that you are capable of getting pregnant. In fact, that's the purpose of your transformation," he continued.

"What you mean?" I asked. I should have been angry, but I was too shocked.

He stood just above my head and out of view. "I suppose there is no harm in telling you everything, as there is nothing you can do about it. I am a genetic engineer, and I was given a rather interesting proposition. A group of extremely powerful, conservative, and, dare I say, extremely wealthy Japanese businessmen have been worried about the birthrate in their country. Too many women are giving up their traditional roles as wives and mothers to pursue careers. Additionally, they have become corrupted by Western values. This has become a major problem for Japanese men, especially those who live overseas."

I soaked in what he was saying. I found that it was difficult to understand him. It was like I had to translate each word.

"You mean the Japanese government hired you?" I asked.

He scoffed at my reply. "No. They would never think of something this imaginative; no, I was hired by a private concern. They came to me and asked if I could help," he continued.

"By changing me into a woman?" I asked.

"Exactly. As I said earlier, you are now Japanese. A DNA test would confirm this; you are also very fertile."

I gasped.

"That's right, my sweet, you will soon be a wife and mother. Your programming isn't complete, but when it's done, you will be totally devoted to the idea of being a wife and mother. You will love being pregnant."

"But...why me?"

"You fit the criteria for transformation. You were the right size, age and weight. It's very complicated, but in simple terms the process causes the subject to lose a percentage of body weight. A subject will lose on average five to six inches in height. Anyway, once my employers see you, I will be a very rich man."

"You did this to me...for money?" I asked.

He laughed. "Actually, a whole lot of money to be more accurate; around 100 million if I play my cards right. This process will allow them to create a whole generation of devoted wives and mothers. Granted, your intellectual processes will be diminished, but you will be smart enough to take care your husband and children. Additionally, you will be very content in your new life; just think Kiku; you won't a worry in your head."

"It doesn't....doesn't....make sense," I stammered.

"Oh, but it does. Back in 2007, in a speech concerning the declining birth rate and the fact that many women have put their careers ahead of having children, Japan's Health Minister stated that his country's number of 'birth-giving devices' was fixed at a set number.* Well, my employers have sought out a different solution - create more devices. By selecting foreigners and transforming them completely, the number of 'birth-giving devices' can be increased, especially for Japanese men living overseas. You are Device One."

"I am not birth-giving device! I will fight this," I exclaimed.

He laughed again. "No, you won't fight this, Kiku. While the physical side of your transformation is complete, I still have some programming to install in your mind. Now, the groundwork has been laid during your recovery, but the rest requires you to be awake."

"How... how rong have I been... been out?" I asked. I could hear the accent in my words.

"Eight months, my sweet. I've already made some changes to your mind, and I'm pleased with what I've seen so far."

Eight months. Eight Months. EIGHT MONTHS! "I hate you."

He broke out laughing. "Yes, I'm sure you do, Kiku. Now rest and we'll start your next step."

I suddenly felt very sleepy, and I drifted into blackness.
 

Chapter 3

When I woke up, I was lying naked in a futon bed. The weird thing was that it felt perfectly normal, as if I had been sleeping in one my entire life. I then remembered how my mysterious captor said something about programming my mind. If he was capable of changing both my gender and nationality, then why couldn't he rewrite my mind too?

I got up and examined my body. Again, it was strange that I wasn't more freaked out. I mean, the last thing that I had remembered before all this happened was being an American man, but now it was like I had been in my present body my whole life, if that makes sense.

I washed, used the toilet, and did my makeup as if it was something I had done my whole life. As I did my makeup, I noticed how pretty I was, and I wondered if my future husband would like me. It then hit me how much I had been changed, and I almost started to cry.

I now had sexual feelings for men. I had never considered myself anything but one hundred percent heterosexual; I had never even had the slightest desire to be with a man, but now it all seemed normal, and even worse... very desirable; in fact, I craved the touch of a man.

I must fight this, I thought, but it was very difficult; my thoughts were so easily distracted. I was soon looking through my wardrobe, trying to decide what to wear. I held out a school girl's uniform, and a wave of memories swept through me. Part of me knew that I had never seen it before, yet another part of me could remember wearing it to school.

Reaching into my dresser, I removed a pair of pink panties and a matching bra. I looked at the size and saw that it was 32-C. I put them on without difficulty.

I found that my wardrobe had a variety of outfits that were common among the street fashion trends of other young girls, but for some reason, I skipped them and ended up selecting a pretty but conservative dress. With each passing minute, my memory seemed to be changing. I mean, I had never even been to Japan, yet now I knew all the latest fashion trends.

I also found that my wardrobe contained kimonos and other traditional outfits, and I wondered if my husband would have me wear them.

I shouted out "Stop it!" at the top of my lungs and froze. It hit me that I had spoken in Japanese. I looked around my room and saw a fashion magazine and picked it up. Even though it was entirely in Japanese, I found I could read it.

I tossed it down and saw a copy of Cosmo. I picked it up and even though it was English, I struggled to read it. I then noticed an English-Japanese dictionary on the counter. I opened it up and saw my name written in it.

"Good morning, Kiku," said my captor.

I looked around and saw the speaker mounted in the ceiling.

"What do you want now?" I demanded.

"Please, Kiku, try to speak English," he replied. "My Japanese isn't very good."

I took a deep breath. "I will... try to speak... Engrish," I replied. Crap, my accent was even worse than yesterday. "Prease stop this."

He laughed. "Oh, Kiku, you have the prettiest accent. In case you're wondering, your English skills will get better in time, but you'll never be fluent again. How do you feel this morning?"

How do I feel? My mind and body have been changed and you ask me how I feel? I refused to answer and just glared at the speaker.

"You're so pretty when you pout, Kiku. Okay, let me rephrase that question. Do you know when we last talked?" he said.

"Yesterday?" I asked.

"Actually, it was two weeks ago," he replied. "Very good, that means the programming is working."

Two weeks? Had I really been out that long? "I hate you," I exclaimed.

"That's to be expected," he replied. "Now, you should be hungry. After you eat, I need to ask you some more questions. I will leave you in peace until then."
 

Chapter 4

I sipped a cup of green tea as I waited for him to return. My diet and tastes had also been changed, as I had rejected the Western style food in the kitchen area for more traditional Japanese food. Again, as I ate my bowl of rice, miso soup, and fish, it all seemed so familiar. I wondered why this was being done to me. If he could so change my mind, why not just do this to actual Japanese women?

"Kiku, I need to ask you some things," he stated through the speaker.

"When...when will I see you?" I asked.

"Soon," he replied. "Now, please tell you your name and age."

Without hesitation I answered. "I am Kiku Suzuki, age eighteen."

"There, wasn't that easy?" he replied.

He was right; it came out very easily. I felt a chill run up my spine.

"Where were you born?"

"In Kobe," I replied.

"Now, what do you want to do with your life?"

"My rife?" I replied. "I want to be a wife and mother."

"Do you want to go to college?"

"No," I replied immediately. My speed in replying made me gasp.

This sort of questioning went on for nearly an hour. He asked me the same questions in different ways, and I always answered the same.

"Very good, Kiku. Now, do you have any questions for me?"

"How did....um...how did I get here?" I asked. "Did you pick me?"

"No, Kiku, it was bad luck on your part. I had some people on the cruise ship look for someone that matched my criteria. You were single and the right size and age. They drugged you and smuggled you ashore in a trunk. I was shocked when I saw you, but decided why not? Besides, I needed to get started on proving to my business associates that I could do as I promised," he explained.

This confirmed that we had met, but where? "People will be rooking for me," I countered.

"Rooking for you?" he laughed. "Damn, you have such a sexy accent, Kiku. No, my sweet, no one will be rooking for you. You just disappeared. The official report suspects you fell over the side and were lost at sea."

I had to subdue my anger at him for mocking my accent.

"Anything else?" he asked.

"Why? This must be ...this must cost much money," I said. Crap, why was it so hard to think of the right words? This would be so much easier if this guy understood Japanese. "Why not... why not just change real Japanese women into mothers?"

"Good question. Well, my employers thought about this, but they still hold out the hope that women will come around on their own. In the meantime, they want to supply their employees with devoted wives and mothers, like you are becoming. Also they didn't want to use Japanese men; in fact, they insisted on using Western males."

"Wouldn't it be easy...easier to just change woman...I mean women?" I asked.

"Very good question, Kiku," he said. "Actually, the process works better on men. Western women fight the mental changes too much, while men surrender and accept their new life once they've become a woman... as you are doing, my sweet Japanese blossom."

"But you're betraying your own...countrymen?"

"Big deal. I mean, I'm being paid to do a job," he replied. "Now, do you have any other questions?"

I had to concentrate on what he said. While I didn't understand every word, I understood. "Will the man I marry know... know the truth?"

"No," replied the man. "Don't worry, Kiku, as soon you won't remember much about who you used to be. Here let me show you."

He then asked me a few simple questions about my past as Vince. I couldn't answer half of them.

"You will have a whole history by the time I'm done with you. To explain the lack of family history, you will be an orphan and will have been raised by a foster family. They also work for the same men as I do. But in time you'll think of them as your family."

He had thought of everything. His voice still sounded familiar, but with everything else happening to me, it was understandable why I couldn't remember.

"How are you... changing... my head...I mean, my mind?"

"A very small chip was inserted into your brain," he replied. "The problem is, I can't change too much too quickly."

"You said you knew me.... preeze tell me name?" I asked as I fumbled for words.

"All in due time," he replied. "Now, I have a meeting; please relax and we'll talk later this afternoon, Kiku."
 

Chapter 5


I spent the next few hours exploring my cell. It was nicely furnished, although I wished it had a window.

Up until my job, my impressions of Japan had been formed by watching Shogun, and other TV shows and movies.

In the course of my job, I had been to Japan twice, but to be honest, I could never quite get used to the culture. I hadn't been a fan of their food. In fact, almost everything about the place had always seemed so foreign; I never felt comfortable there no matter how hard I tried to be open-minded.

But now, things began to make sense. I wondered how my captor had been able to change me culturally. In many ways I considered myself to be Japanese now.

One change that I did like was that I now found that I could cook. As Vince, I was the master of the microwave and takeout, but now I could actually cook. I had never enjoyed Japanese food, but now I longed for it, and to be able to actually cook it was incredible. Thankfully, my captor had provided me with a fully stocked kitchen.

After lunch, I turned on the TV and found that it was connected via satellite to live Japanese shows. I watched some TV, but it was boring so I turned it off, and I began to look through the books and magazines in my cell.

Before all this, the idea of spending several hours reading women's magazines would have made me sick, but I found that I was really interested in them. One magazine really caught my eye, as it was filled with wedding fashions. Again, I had to struggle to grab what little grasp I still had on my old life. Still, when I paged through the magazine, it wasn't hard to picture myself in the various dresses.

The same thing happened when I picked up a magazine on maternity. I looked at the photos of pregnant women and found myself feeling envious. Someday in the near future, my belly would be filled with my baby. I gently rubbed my flat tummy as I thought about this.

Suddenly, I became aware of what I was doing, and in an attempt to regain control I tossed the magazine down and shifted back to the TV. With each passing minute it took more effort to hold on and not surrender completely into my new feminine bondage.

But it was too hard to maintain strict concentration. After a while I gave in again. Almost absentmindedly as I watched, I began to do my nails. As I watched the red polish dry, it struck me that it was as if I had been doing it my whole life.

I began to accept that I was losing this battle, and to be honest, I began to wonder if it was worth even trying to resist. I mean, wouldn't it be easier to just accept my fate and move on with my life? If my captor was right, I would be soon be the wife of a rich and powerful man. I would be taken care of and soon have a family to love and take care of.

But then my anger took over. I might end up a wife and mother, but I had to hold out long enough to strike out at the bastard who changed me.

Chapter 6

My captor apologized for ignoring me. He said that the meeting had gone longer than he had expected.

"I hope you found ways to keep your little mind occupied, my sweet," he said.

"When... when will I meet you?" I asked.

"Tomorrow. Don't worry, it will be worth it," he said. "Now, I will leave you alone. Why don't you take a nice hot bath? I think you'll enjoy it."

With that, the speaker went silent.

For some reason, the idea of taking a bath seemed very appealing. I suspected it was part of my programming but decided it wasn't worth fighting; I mean, how harmful could a bath be?

I walked into the bathroom and disrobed. The tub was very large and was soon filling with hot water. Without thinking, I washed outside the tub, only a barbarian would wash in the same tub, and once clean, I slowly slipped in.

The steamy water felt wonderful, and I could feel my whole body relax. I closed my eyes and let my mind wander. I don't remember it being a conscious act, but I was soon rubbing my hardening nipples with one hand, while my other began to rub the lips of my vagina.

The combination of new sensual feelings was overwhelming; with each passing moment I found myself increasing my personal pleasure. Maybe this wasn't so bad after all, I thought.

My first orgasm as a woman was fantastic. The release of sexual energy was unlike anything I had experienced in my entire life. One wave after another swept through my body. I was on a total sexual high and was shocked that it was had been so intense.

I soaked in the water for a while, just to recover enough energy to be able to step out.

After drying off, I slipped on a silk robe; it felt so nice against my body. I spent the rest of evening preparing dinner and watching TV. I would worry about the future tomorrow.

Chapter 7

It wasn't until mid-morning that my captor contacted me.

"I want you to change into a Kimono after lunch. I have a special guest who wants to see how far you've progressed, Kiku," he said.

"Okay," I replied.

"He is a very handsome man, but he is not your future husband; still, you could always fantasize about him the next time you pleasure yourself," he said.

My face burned red with rage. How dare this gaijin spy on me when I was in my bath!

"Be ready, my sweet," he said.

My anger helped me recover my thoughts. I would have to fight him. But I decided that I wouldn't disobey him; rather I would dress as he demanded and wait my opportunity.

The kimono I selected was purple with white birds flying across it. Actually, the kimono worked into my plan as it allowed me to hide a very sharp knife under it. I had stealthily grabbed it while I was making lunch. I would use it on him the first opportunity I had.

"Kiku, in a moment the door will open, and you will walk down the hallway. There is a large room at the end of the hallway; you will enter the room and sit down in the red chair. Do you understand?"

"Yes," I replied.

"I know that you're probably thinking of some way to get back at me, so let me show you that you are totally under my control."

I wondered what he was talking about; suddenly I found that I couldn't move. It was like I was frozen in place.

"The chip in your brain allows me to control your movements. I'm not so stupid to not think of a failsafe. I will release you, but remember I can do that to you anytime I want. Now, put the knife back."

I found that I could move again. I felt a wave of despair sweep through my body. He obviously had been watching me again, and my chances of escape were gone.

I walked down the hallway and entered the room. It appeared to be the lab that I was in earlier. I saw the red chair and sat down.

"Very good, you are so obedient," he said. "Your husband will love that."

He then walked over to me and I immediately recognized him. "By the look on your pretty face, I would say you finally know who I am."

He was of average build, balding, with a gray beard. He was wearing a pair of gold rimmed glasses; they perched on the edge of his large nose. I suspected he was in his late forties. I thought him to be a very ugly man.

"Do you remember me?" he asked.

"You're Thomas Brown," I replied. I knew that I recognized the voice!

"Actually, that's Dr. Thomas Brown," he corrected. "Or if you like, you can call me Brown-San."

I glared back at him. There was no way I would show him any respect; he was without honor and didn't deserve respect. He was just Brown to me.

Brown had been a part-time science writer at the last job I had worked. It was for the Los Angeles Times. We had talked at a few cocktail parties. I then remembered that he said he did the writing just to supplement his income until his ship came in. From what I remembered, he was very intelligent but had done nothing particularly brilliant on his own, although I remembered something about him working on computer chips to assist people with Parkinson's disease. I wondered if he'd used this sort of technology to change me

"Let me introduce you to my guest," he said as he put his arm around my waist. "This is Kiku - Device-One, if you prefer."

A Japanese man walked towards me. Brown was right, the man was very handsome. He appeared to be in his thirties and was dressed in a very expensive suit. He carried himself as if he was no one to trifle with, as he had the look of an athlete. His muscles were visible through his suit. I could only hope my future husband looked like him.

He addressed me in Japanese. I learned that he called himself Ronin. I found it strange that he would be named after a masterless Samurai. I didn't question this and just played the role of the submissive woman that had been programmed into me. He asked me several questions, and I answered them.

"Well, what do you think?" asked Thomas.

"She appears to be everything you described," replied Ronin.

"Her sexual response is also impressive," said Dr. Brown as he winked at me.

I bit my tongue and didn't reply; no, I'd wait for the right moment.

"I modified her internally so that she will become easily aroused, but at the same time she will have a wondrous ability to provide sexual pleasure her partner. Her vagina has been modified to provide wonderful sex."

So that's why my orgasm was so intense!

"My organization doesn't want courtesans; they want demure obedient wives and mothers," stated Ronin. His voice betrayed his irritation with Brown.

"Relax; my modifications will not affect her ability to have children. In fact, they will increase them. She'll actually get gratification while she gives birth!" he stated as he broke out in laughter.

If I'd still had my knife, I would have killed him right then and there for what he had done.

Ronin didn't seem impressed. In some ways, I sensed he was as annoyed with the gaijin as I was.

"Now, are you going to show me how you did it?" asked Ronin.

"Sure, why not. Kiku, you can come along, even though you won't understand most of what I'm going to say," said Dr. Brown.

We walked over towards what looked like a large capsule. It was large enough that a person could fit comfortably inside. The capsule was connected to a bank of computers.

"Here it is," said Thomas. "You won't believe what I went through to get this."

Ronin walked around the machine and studied it.

"This is a Patecatl**; how did you get your hands on one?" asked Ronin. "They are all protected."

The name Patecatl sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it.

"You are correct. My brother worked on the prototype until he was kicked off the team. The idiot would be here to help me, but he's rotting in jail. Anyway, I acquired this one after a plane that was carrying it crashed in the Congo," replied Thomas. "They thought it was destroyed in the accident, so no one is looking for it."

I then remembered what Patecatl was. It was created by a brilliant scientist to be a self-contained medical facility. It could be transported almost anywhere and could do basic to complex medical procedures. They were used in natural disasters to help injured survivors.

"I am very impressed Dr. Brown; you are a very resourceful man," said Ronin.

"It was expensive, but worth it," said Dr. Brown. "I want to thank your organization for providing me with the money. It also allowed me to buy this place."

"Yes, you chose wisely. Its isolation will work perfectly," said Ronin. "Did your associates know why you wanted the Patecatl?"

Dr. Brown shook his head. "Of course not! I'm not stupid. No, I told them that I wanted it do plastic surgery on rich women."

Ronin nodded as he listened. "So, was it difficult to adapt the Patecatl for our purpose?"

For a moment I thought I might learn where I was. I kept quiet and waited patiently.

"Not too difficult. My worthless brother had told me how the system worked before he was arrested. With that knowledge I was able to break into the programming," said Thomas. "It was simple to write the program that created Kiku. I can make slight changes in future models so that the women fit the exact specifications of their husbands."

"I see," replied Ronin. "And can you make more machines like this?"

Thomas shook his head. "No. Unfortunately, the team that built it included safeguards to prevent reverse engineering. However, the computer systems are easier to get into."

"So this is the only one?" asked Ronin.

"Yes, but don't let that worry you," said Thomas. "Once I get all the bugs out of the system, I can produce a new woman every twenty days. The mental process is done with a separate system that can be mass produced."

"And you are willing to sell us this entire system?" asked Ronin.

"That is correct. Once I get confirmation that my money is in my Swiss account, I will give you all the access codes and specs. I suspect that once your organization sees my work, they will be able to obtain additional Patecatls."

Ronin nodded. "What about the mind control aspects?"

"Of course they will be part of the deal; now, that is something that I'm very proud of. Once the subject has been injected with the chip, it is very easy to make adjustments. The trick is not to do it too quickly," said Thomas. "In some ways, it takes longer to change the mind."

"May I see how you do it?" asked Ronin.

"Of course! We'll use Kiku as our subject. What do you want me to do to her?" asked Thomas.

Brown was like a small child showing off to his parents. He was obviously proud of his process and wanted to show it off. I hated him so badly.

"Can you increase her intellect?" asked Ronin. "Also decrease her submissiveness. I want to see how she changes."

"Sure, that's easy to do. Actually, all I have to do is remove the blocks that I installed. Kiku, please sit down in that chair," he ordered, as he pointed to a leather chair in front of the computer.

I did as he ordered. Maybe after he changed me, I would have a chance to escape.

"So you don't have to use the Patecatl?" asked Ronin.

"No, it's a separate action," said Thomas. "Now, I must ask you to turn your back as I enter in the access codes."

Ronin smiled and nodded. "Of course."

 

Chapter 8

I slowly came to and winced slightly. It felt like I had a headache. I tried to reach up, but couldn't.

"The pain will pass quickly," said Thomas. "She should have the equivalent of her IQ before she was transformed, maybe even slightly higher, although her English skills haven't changed; that would take longer to do."

"Tell me, Kiku, do you feel smarter?" Ronin asked me in Japanese.

The fog that had seemed to block my thoughts had cleared, and for the first time since I woke up in Thomas's clutches, I smiled. "Yes, I feel much better."

I noticed that I was handcuffed to the chair.

"Sorry, but with the changes Ronin requested, I can't risk you trying to escape. Not that you can, but you might hurt yourself trying," said Thomas.

Ronin asked me a few questions which I easily answered, even though my English was still bad. He then asked me additional detailed questions in Japanese. I could feel my intelligence returning to what it had been before. It was like waking up from a bad hangover.

"Very good, Dr. Brown," said Ronin. "I'm very pleased."

"I hope that means your associates are also pleased," said Thomas. "Now, as soon as I get my money, I will show your technicians how to operate the equipment."

"One question first," said Ronin. "What you did to Kiku is totally irreversible, correct? Physically, I mean."

Thomas nodded. "That is correct. Now all I have to do is reinstall the mind blocks and add a few more, and she won't even remember that she used to be a male. I will also make her submissive and obedient again, just like a woman should be. Maybe I'll take a wife like her. Who knows? Maybe I'll make her my wife."

"Go to hell!" I screamed. I then began to call Thomas every foul thing in both of my vocabularies.

Thomas blew me a kiss and laughed.

"Now, Doctor Brown, no one else knows of this procedure, correct?" asked Ronin ignoring my curses.

"That is correct. I created it, and no one else can do it, not until I show them how, and that will only happen once I've been paid," stated Thomas.

"Very well, I suppose you should get what's coming to you," replied Ronin.

What happened next sticks in my mind to this very day. It was like a scene from a martial arts movie. In one flowing movement, Ronin grabbed Thomas around the neck and killed him, snapping his neck. It happened so fast that Thomas didn't even have time to make a sound. His lifeless body slumped to the floor.

I gasped in shock at how quickly Ronin had dispatched Thomas. He approached me, and I pulled back, pulling at the cuffs that locked me to the chair. Was he going to kill me next?

"Don't worry, Kiku, you are safe," Ronin said to me in Japanese.

The tone of his voice was very comforting. I sensed immediately that I could trust him.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"A friend," he replied softly.

"A friend?" I replied. The concept almost seemed unimaginable

"I work for the Japanese government, and I infiltrated the group that hired Dr. Brown several years ago. The government would lose face if news of this became known. As for the group that commissioned Dr. Brown, I will report back to them that the process was a failure and that I executed him," he said as he uncuffed me.

"And what about me?" I asked as I rubbed my wrists.

"I hadn't counted on him actually being successful. I wish I could have had you changed back, but there is nothing we can do about that. I at least wanted you to be more than a 'birth-giving device;' that's why I had him restore your intellect before I killed him. You will not be harmed, Kiku, I promise you that."

'Thank you," I replied.

"May I ask you something personal, Kiku?" he asked.

I nodded.

"How do you see yourself?" he asked.

"If you mean gender wise, I am now a woman. I accept my fate," I replied.

"That is very brave," he said.

"Not brave, just practical," I replied.

"No, you are brave," he said.

"But what will I do?" I asked as I slumped into the chair.

"Leave that to me. Now, I have to destroy everything that's in this facility; would you like to help me?"

 

Chapter 9

It took us several hours to destroy Dr. Brown's laboratory. I must admit that I enjoyed it. Ronin told me that we were currently in Baja, in a compound that Dr. Brown had bought from a drug cartel. After we left, Ronin would start a fire that would destroy the rest of the facility. If the Mexican authorities found Dr. Brown's remains, they would just assume he died in the fire.

Before we left the compound, I prepared a meal for both of us. As we ate, he told me that his real name was Tomi.

"You are a very good cook, Kiku," he said as we ate. "It has been a while since I had such a good meal."

"At least that bastard gave me something good out of this whole deal, Tomi," I replied. "So what will you do with me?"

"That depends on you. Do you want to live in the United States or Japan?" he replied.

I didn't reply at first, as I thought about my answer. I could probably adjust more easily to living in Japan, but my heart still belonged to the states. The downside was that either choice would leave me alone. I had no one in my life, no family, no friends, nothing.

"I suppose the US... it really doesn't matter... I'll be starting new no matter where I go," I replied sadly.

"I see," he answered as he reached for the rice. "Where you want to live will affect what sort of ID I need to get you. I can set you up in one of several cities."

"Thank you," I replied. Then I had an idea. "Where do you live?"

"I don't exactly have a home right now. I will continue my undercover role and continue to watch the people who hired Brown. As soon as I know everyone in the group, I will terminate them for the good of Japan - and the rest of the world, for that matter. However, that will take time," he replied.

There was a sense of weariness in his words. I could sense that he was as alone as I was.

"I'd like to help you; is that possible?" I asked. "I could be your assistant or secretary, Tomi-San."

Tomi laughed for the first time since I had met him. It also seemed that it had been a very long time since he had laughed. He had a very comforting laugh. "Now there's an idea. In my line of work I have worked alone, as I have learned not to trust others. The government has been infiltrated; so, for my own safety I work alone. I only report to one person. I must tell you that if my true purpose was exposed, I would be killed, and that fate would also be yours."

I refilled his cup of tea. "What do I have to lose? My old life is over, and well, my present life ... it really doesn't exist; it's fiction. So why not help you?"

He took my hand into his. "It would be nice to have someone I could trust. I have been in this job for five years, and I am so drained, yet I know I have to continue until the journey is complete."

"I would like to take that journey with you, Tomi-San" I replied wanting to show him respect.

"There is no need for that formality, Kiku," he replied as he moved close to me.

I wasn't totally shocked when he kissed me; in fact, I was hoping he would. I was also pleased when he made passionate love to me. Maybe something good could out of this.
 

Conclusion


So, that's how I joined the battle against the group that violated me. To the outside world, I am Tomi's secretary and lover. I play the role well, and no one suspects the truth. I have become an invaluable source of help to him. Thanks to my restored intelligence I have used my old journalism skills to research things for him. We are building up a detailed database on the group that changed me, and soon we will bring them down.

Being with Tomi has helped both of us. I give him comfort and allow him to live and love. He is a true warrior, a real Samurai, devoted to his task; but he has a very passionate side too. I have also benefited from our relationship, as he has helped me heal my wounded soul. I accept that I am now a woman, and hopefully one day, should the fates allow, I will bear my Tomi his children. But first we have a journey to complete, and I will be by his side every step of the way.
 

The End


* http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16839596/
** For more on the Patecatl , see the author's story "Shock to the System," posted at Top Shelf, Fictionmania, and Crystal's Storysite.

up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Device One

Mine appears so far to be the only comment and that is surprising. I really enjoyed this story; it has a good plot and is well-paced and well-written. And, of course, a reasonably happy ending!

There's a thing with SF stories that you can do more or less what you like. I know that, in the real world, happenings like this are most unlikely but it had to have a TG element and the 'baddie' was suitably evil.

Very well done.

Hugs,

Susie

Eww

Another Gender Bender + Brainwashing story... I kind of hate the concept. The very idea that someone can work around in your brain and permanently change things scares me shitless :(

Well written, but major ewww.

A good story!

I am glad to read a Japanese hero!

Saeka