The Song

Printer-friendly version
The Song
By Stanman63
Melanie Ezell's Big Closet Ultimate Writer's Challenge
Thanks To Melanie Ezell's Big Closet Ultimate Writer's Challenge For Inspiration!
SynopsisA Transgirl talks about a gift that helped her to transition, her transition and the song that gave her the courage to transition.

[-][+][-]

My name is Kelly Robin O'Hare, and am proud of who and what I am. Daddy taught me to be myself and never stopped loving me when I told him who I really was.

He hugged me and said, "When do I meet my Princess?"

I cried, "Now, Daddy," and went to my room and donned Momma's old red sailor style cheerleader uniform, matching bloomer, socks and shoes with Peavy suntan pantyhose.

"You look just like your mother, Kel," he sighed.

"Thanks, Daddy, I wish that she'd not died giving birth to me."

"She died so that you would live."

[-][+][-]

Daddy gave me the courage to be myself as I dealt with the hatred and prejudice of the ignorant as I journeyed and became a petite young woman

After graduation, I had my surgery and became the woman that I am. Unfortunately, Daddy died soon after, making it a bitter sweet memory.

The Rose

Bette Midler

Some say love it is a river
That drowns the tender reed.
Some say love it is a razor
That leaves your soul to bleed.
Some say love it is a hunger
An endless, aching need
I say love it is a flower
And you its only seed.

It’s the heart afraid of breaking
That never learns to dance.
It’s the dream afraid of waking
That never takes the chance.
It’s the one who won’t be taken
Who cannot seem to give
And the soul afraid of dying
That never learns to live.

And the night has been too lonely
And the road has been too long.
And you think that love is only
For the lucky and the strong.
Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snow
Lies the seed that with the sun’s love,
In the spring,
Becomes a ROSE

[-][+][-]


Finis

up
49 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Where is the emotional connection?

Melanie's challenge calls for a connection between the story and the song, doesn't it? What makes this particular song so important to the girl? You've used this song a few times before in commentary and in at least one of your stories. What makes this one important to you and to the girl. I suppose we could just infer by looking at the song itself, but how does help you grow as an author if you don't use your own voice to tell us how you feel. How does her father's love give her strength? What does she face and what does his love speak to her to get her through. I understand that these challenges have been designed to pull authors out of their comfort zone to try something new. Why not try writing a song that conveys how it would feel to be a girl whose mother died and whose father helps her survive? Or take a few verses from the song and have her think about the kinds of things that she's been through that the song speaks to? I bet you could if you tried, don't you?

The Song

This is a story of love and acceptance where dad and daughter face a life without a mother for the daughter to be and both find an inner strength to overcome.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine