Trope: Averted

Printer-friendly version
Trope: Averted
by mittfh
 
Copyright © 2011 Ben Norwood.
Creative Commons License.

Teaser:When your wife presents you with a maid's dress and tells you to get changed, it can only mean one thing...
...or can it?


I looked aghast as she held up the fetish maid's dress. I hadn't worn that in over a year, and doubted it would fit me any more.

"Go upstairs and change. I'll be waiting for you!"

To say I was puzzled by her sudden outburst, and the gleeful smirk on her face, was an understatement. I got the impression arguing would be useless, so reluctantly headed upstairs...

...only to find a significantly more expensive (and well made) dress on the bed, with a post-it note attached saying "Wear this. x"

Confused, I donned the new outfit, together with the provided tights, cap, apron and shoes (mercifully low-heeled); before heading downstairs to face the music.

So you can imagine my surprise when I opened the lounge door to find her wearing an identical outfit and wielding the obligatory feather duster.

"B...b...but..." I stammered, looking even more confused.

Now it was her turn to look shocked, as realisation dawned.

"Oh... sorry! This was meant to be a bit of fun. You really thought..."

Embarrassed, I nodded.

"Oh, darling, I'd *never* do that to you. Do you want to change, or shall we get this place cleaned together?"

She paused, not sure whether to continue. "Errr... what d'ya think?" and beaming, performed a small pirroutte.

Emotions released, I couldn't help but grin. "Beautiful... as always!"

Feeling inspired, I performed a (clumsy) pirrouette of my own.

Laughing, she replied "Snap!"

"So what was your big idea?"

"Oh, sorry, forgot to say. I just thought it would be fun for us both to do the maid thing from time to time - if we're both doing it, it should take half the time; and why not have a little fun while we're at it?"

"Together?"

We'd always shared the housework, but generally it was one or the other of us, when we felt like it, individually, after work - never together, and never at the weekend.

"Always. I'd never ask you to do anything like that alone!"

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Author's notes

(I thought it might be better to add these as a comment, rather than a big block of text at the end of the story).

This idea came to me this morning, and was scribbled down in about 10 minutes during a quiet period on help desk duty. As usual, it keeps up my philosophy of "Do something different."

I've deliberately kept this as short as I dare. I was aiming for drabble, but it ended up at over 300 words. Even in that quantity you can probably infer a significant amount of back story. I nearly thought of ending it after "Shall we get this place cleaned together?", but thought it deserved to continue until the protagonist's wife explained her reasoning.

As befits the CC license at the top, if anyone wants to pick this story up and do something longer - feel free. If you've an idea for a different trope:averted story, feel free as well!

Before anyone says "Why don't you do it yourself?", I'm already in the middle of writing two Retcon chapters, with a third planned. I also have two more tales gathering dust, awaiting inspiration to continue. So thanks but no thanks - I've already got plenty on the go!

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Yay - definitly averted

Lol, that's pretty interesting...

I mean it looked like a force femme situation and then it wasn't :D

Thank you for writing this,

Beyogi

Nice Story :)

Enemyoffun's picture

Short and sweet and to the point :)

EOF

Genuinely funny & heartwarming!

I really enjoy seeing clichés fractured & tropes twisted. But more important than that, her nudging him towards a playfully shared experience is better than femme-forcée anyday!

O'Henry could hardly have done better himself!

The Rev. Anam Chara+

Anam Chara

Great really

there's this really off balance in the main character that you see with the reaction to the outfit but tied up great with actually how heartfelt and sweet the wife comes across.

Bailey Summers

Aversion

As I said above, I like to do things differently :)

And how better to do that than to present a situation which, at the outset, looks like forced fem, then gets confusing (the new outfit), before finally being revealed as nothing of the sort.

After all, why should it just be the TG that likes to occasionally dress up as a maid? I'm sure that in real life, 99.9% of maid outfits are worn in the context of fun, rather than a means of indoctrinating the protagonist into a life of slavery because they didn't realise their other half was a power-mad autocrat.

<plug> If you liked this, you may also like Petra (and spin-offs)... </plug>

(Petra 2 will arrive... eventually! I got up to 3,700 words then stalled, and haven't returned yet. Hopefully I'll continue in the not too distant future)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Very cute.

Very cute. The only thing that made me think it was going to turn out different (not force femmed) was the title. And I liked the way it turned out as the exact opposite as was intended by the appearance of a wife, and a maid's outfit.

I was going to suggest to you to make this a series, little one-shots of tropes avoided. It might even be a neat idea to throw it up as a challenge to take your favorite trope (or most hated, as the case may be) and think of a really original way to avoid it.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Challenge: Started

Rather than try and write more Trope: Averted stories (which you'd probably never see until this time next year!), I've thrown it open as a challenge to anyone daft enough...

http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/blog/29160/tropeplay-challenge

--B


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Trope: Averted

Most definitely a sweet story as well as cute.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good Things...

...come in small packages!

A thought-provoking twist on an oft-abused (and abusing?) story meme.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

I get the story, but ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... not the title? What's "trope"?

BE a lady!

Tropes

Wikipedia: Trope (literature)

Or, go down the TV Tropes rabbit hole. Whatever you do, do NOT search TV Tropes for any TV series, film or book. You won't emerge for hours.

There's also a brief explanation in the comments for this blog entry.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!