The Journey is the Destination 29

Printer-friendly version
The Journey is the Destination
Chapter 29

By poetheather

Thoughtful Ranma is thoughtful, which is quite disturbing for all concerned.


Author's Note: Ranma 1/2 is owned by Takahashi Rumiko and they have no connection to this what so ever. These characters are used without their permission and include a plea not to be sued as I have no money.
 
 
Chapter 29

Ranma moved through the most difficult form she knew, trying to keep the necessary balance of precision and power that it required. It forced her to leap high in the air and do some very intense ground work as well, managing to make her break a sweat. She was still irritated with her father for using Jusenkyo water on Akane. That had been uncalled for. Sure it was temporary water but still. Even just the act of dumping it on her was uncalled for. Maybe she needed to have another talk with her mother about the Panda before things got even more out of hand. She was supposed to come over today and Ranma was looking forward to that. She really had come to love her mother fiercely.

The red head continued moving, trying to lose herself in the movements, letting the form take her away so all that remained was the kata. Given her irritation and worry it was not surprising that such peace eluded her. Too many things were making her life crazy at the moment, well really only two but they were huge, her father and the Old Ghoul. Siccing her mother on her father would deal with one but dealing with Cologne was tricky. The Amazon Elder was clever and crafty, with more tricks up her sleeves than Nabiki on a good day and a mind as twisty as Happosai was perverted. The woman pretty much always seemed one step ahead at all times. How was she going to deal with this?

Talking to Nabiki had occurred to her, but she doubted that having the middle Tendo sister talk their way out of this stupid Kiss of Marriage would work. Maybe Nabiki could help her figure out a battle plan, an idea of how to face Cologne and some contingency plans. Not a rigid plan but something more flexible and more suited to the way Ranma worked. That idea gave her a smile and she finished her form in peace, bowed to the altar in the Tendo dojo and went to get cleaned up, wiping the sweat from her face with a hand towel. A hard workout always seemed to help clear her mind.

Nabiki was sitting in the living room watching something on TV when Ranma came in after rinsing the sweat off. It sounded like some sort of variety or game show. “Nabs? Are you busy? Can we talk real quick?”

The middle Tendo looked over at the red head who was still a bit flush from the exercise and nodded. “Head on up to my room. Once I get something to drink I’ll be right up.”

Ranma did just that, her mind filled with issues in dealing with the Amazons. There were so many things that worried her. Fighting Cologne was fine with her but would Akane get dragged into the fight? Would the Tendo Dojo get nearly destroyed again? She was biting her lip nervously when Nabiki walked in with a soda. The brunette took one look at the Martial Artist and asked, “What's up Ranma?”

“I am worried about how to deal with the old ghoul. I have no idea what to do about her besides fight and I want to avoid that. I know she knows the truth about me, because she's like that and can read my aura. This may have fooled everyone else but I know it hasn't fazed her. I just want some help.” Ranma sounded rather plaintive as she talked to Nabiki.

The middle Tendo looked thoughtful, taking a drink of her soda as she mulled over the issue. “If she already knows the truth of your ruse then we need something else to throw her. Hmmm....”

Ranma perked up some, this looked good. Nabiki always rose to these sorts of challenges. “Yes?”

“The Amazons are a matriarchal culture. Maybe if I can arrange a meeting between Elder Cologne and your Mother then we can get this settled. After all, if your mother is set against this there is no way that Elder Cologne can change your mother's mind.” mused Nabiki.

“You really think so?” Her voice was full of hope. This was the best idea she had ever heard of for dealing with Cologne.

“It's worth a shot. The worst that will happen is that nothing will change. I'll try to get that set up. You need to avoid her until I do. Okay?” Nabiki glared at the red head, hoping to drive that idea home.

Ranma bobbed her head like a bouncy doll, grinning widely. “Absolutely. Thank you Nabiki.”

Nabiki smiled slightly, almost smirk like at the red head. “Anything to help Saotome.I'll put it on your tab.”

Ranma was just fine leaving the details to Nabiki. She had to admit to herself that while she was amazing at tactics in combat, outside of combat her plans were more likely to blow up in her face, well all of them had except this most recent one and that was clearly a fluke. It was going okay and doing what she wanted it to do for the most part. Maybe she would be able to feel better about her life soon, with no other issues hanging over her head except the usual teenager issues. Once her father and the Amazons were dealt with she would be free to be herself, with nothing left to really hold her back. Of all the things that had been denied her by her upbringing that was the one she most wanted, to simply be.

She had never had a chance to simply be her or him or whoever she was. There was always something else shoved in the way and used to keep her from being who she was. No, her baka Pops had made her a man amogst men and wouldn't let her do anything except train in the Art. While the Art was great, giving her a happiness and peace that the rest of her life often lacked even Ranma was aware that the Samurai did things other than just fight, stuff like write poetry, flower arranging, painting, things that were not directly connected to fighting in order to help quiet their spirits. She kind of wanted that, wanted to find things she liked doing that had nothing to do with how hard or fast she could punch. When had she had a chance to do nothing but listen to music or read a book for fun or draw or something? No, she wanted to find out who she was and that could only happen when the other problems were dealt with.

All her life felt like it had been one big never ending fight, ever since she could remember. She couldn't remember anything from before the training journey, before her father took her from her mother. If they had stayed at home, she was certain that she would not be the martial artist she was today, but she was still not sure if that was a good reason to drag a kid from her mother. And all she did was train. She did not even remember anything she used to like before this trip and she hated that. There had to be more to life than Martial Arts... right? Even Akane liked to do other things besides simply train. Outside of eating ice cream Ranma was not sure if there was anything else she liked to do. Well, besides kissing Akane.

Of course it did not help that every time she discovered some new thing that might be fun, there just happened to be some psychopath who was a Master at the Martial version of it with a grudge. Thanks to idiots like that she just could not relax anymore while ice skating, doing a tea ceremony and many other supposedly normal and fun activities. Karaoke was fun and so far she hadn't gotten involved in a duel involving Martial Arts Singing, but she was sure it was out there, waiting for the right moment to strike. That was her life after all.

There was always reading. Both Akane and Nabiki liked to read, so it had to be fun somehow. She had even seen Kasumi with a book on those times when she was not working so hard. Maybe she could try reading some manga and seeing if she liked doing that. Akane had some that did look fun and the few she had flipped through a couple of times seemed enjoyable. That might be a place to start and if she did not like reading there was bound to be something else she could try. After all, there was a whole huge world out there of things she had never experienced.

Ranma just sat on the porch overlooking the garden and daydreamed about fun things to do, thinking about a number of things that might be enjoyable and running them through her mind to see how they fit. Thinking about collecting dolls or cute stuff got her snickering. Acting like Azusa would make the Panda crazy. Being all cutsey and flouncy would make the baka twitch uncomfortably. Of course, it might also make Akane crazy as well, given that the cute obsessed skater was irritating kind of as a rule. She blinked suddenly as she was aware that someone was waving a hand in front of her face.

Akane was grinning at her, “What are you thinking about Ranma?”

“Believe it or not, Azusa and how insane acting like that would make Pops.” replied Ranma, smiling happily at the girl she loved.

“I figure that she would make you crazy as well?” said Akane as she took a seat.

Ranma nodded. “You're right, but the look on the Panda's face if I wore that stuff and acted that way would be priceless.”

Akane nodded and smirked at the red head, “Yeah, but we all got to see that already when you thought you were a girly girl for a while. You were pretty much that bad.”

Ranma blushed, as vague memories of that time after she had hit her head flashed across her mind's eye. “Okay, you have me on that one. But this time I would be able to really enjoy watching Pops squirm.”

“If that's what you really want Ranma.” Akane sounded really noncommittal.

“I'm not sure. I'm just trying to think of something to do for enjoyment besides practice the Art. There is surely more to life than just training in the Martial Arts.” said Ranma, looking off into the distance.

Akane clutched at her chest, her eyes wide I shock, “Gasp! The Great Saotome is looking for something beyond Martial Arts? Surely the world will end soon.”

Ranma punched Akane lightly on the arm, growling softly, “Damnit Akane, I'm serious.”

“I am too Ranma. You have been practicing for so long that I am not sure you know how to do anything else. Finding something else to do would probably be kind of tricky.”

“I know, but I want to try and have a life and pleasures outside of the Art for a change. The way I see it, this is very different from how my life used to be but I just have no idea where to start.” Ranma kicked her legs idly.

Akane looked thoughtful. “You're right. A lot of things most people enjoy doing for fun would either make you crazy or are an extension of your practice in the Art. You are already a pretty good cook, so you could always do that? You did Martial Arts eating but not cooking.”

Biting her lower lip in thought, Ranma replied, “That is possible. Maybe doing baking instead of cooking, because I haven't done that a lot so it will be different. I was also thinking about doing some reading. Maybe I could borrow some of your manga?”

“That would be fine. I think I have a few series that you would really enjoy. You know... baking would be nice. I like cookies.” replied Akane with a smile.

“Is that a hint?” Ranma quirked an eyebrow at her fiancé.

“Maybe...”

“Tease.” remarked Ranma.

Akane leaned down and kissed Ranma on the cheek. A dry chuckle filled the air and the two girls spun to their feet, sliding into their ready stances. Ranma narrowed her eyes and felt the energy around them, sensing who it had to have been. There really was only one opponent who would do this.

“My my Son-in-law... you really do sound like a girl.”

Not relaxing her guard for an instant, Ranma growled out her response, “What do you want Elder Cologne?”

“I was just checking up on you. Surely a young woman, such as yourself, might understand why an old woman like me would want to see how you were getting on.” The tone was clearly teasing and slightly insulting. It was also moving slightly to her right. Her stance shifted slightly in response.

“I am fine. Thank you for your concern.”

“Ah... it is good to see that your manners have improved Son-in-law.” The chuckle helped Ranma better figure out where her opponent was.

Cologne was still quite invisible but this was not like what her father did. Ranma could feel the edges of the Amazon Elder's chi as this technique was not as good as the Umisenken. While the Amazon Elder was skilled, the Panda was an incredible thief who had created an incredible technique. This was but a pale imitation of that. While not as good as using her eyes to track her enemy, Ranma was able to follow Cologne with her chi sense as the older woman circled the two girls. “I am not your Son-in-law, as you have to be a boy first for that to happen.”

Again the dry chuckle. “Sticking to the story as well. Very good Saotome. It seems as if you can be taught. And it also clearly appears as if you used the Locking Ladle to lock your curse. Very clever. The traces are quite clear now that I have had a better look at your chi. Yes, this is very interesting indeed. I am also impressed with how you dealt with Ukyo. Very inspired.”

Ranma's eyes narrowed angrily and her growl deepened, “What do you want with my sister?”

“So very protective, just like you are with Miss Tendo here. Very good Ranma... very good.” The voice seemed to be judging her, which was of some concern. Mostly Ranma was still trying to focus on Cologne.

The feeling of Elder Cologne's energy faded, but Ranma did not move from her stance until several more minutes had passed. Her guard was still up and she scanned the yard with her eyes and her chi. The red head frowned in consternation. What game was the old ghoul playing?

up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay! The return of this

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Yay! The return of this delightful fun little story. The one thing I never really liked about Ranma was the character was never really given the chance to grow as everything always circled back to the Art eventually. Here you are finally giving the character the chance to grow beyond that while still remaining broadly true to the manga and anime, and its enjoyable watching the character try to get to grips with life rather than being swept away by it.

The showdown with the Old Ghoul is building nicely. It occurs to me though that Ranma makes a better Amazon as a girl that Shampoo does. Not sure if that makes her a better marriage prospect or not!

Thank you for another chapter of this story.

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Ranma being unable to grow

Ranma being unable to grow really did bug me so naturally I fixed that. :)

I think the showdown will truly be worth it.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Another Good Chapter

I've always disliked Cologne and Happosai, and I must say her actions in this story have done absolutely nothing to change that.

Why is everyone in the Ranma universe so set on making Ranma into who they want him/her to be, rather than letting him/her decide who to be? Ranma's own thoughts prove just how close to the breaking point he/she has come, and with any luck by the end of this tale nobody will be able to push Ranma around again without facing some serious resistance.

It's nice to see Ranma's interests moving beyond just Martial Arts. That has always been one of his/her greatest weaknesses when dealing with others, and with his/her own internal struggle. Only knowing how to fight, especially with as unyielding a style as the Anything Goes school uses, means the arts of negotiation and compromise are things that Ranma is only now starting to grasp, learning them through seeking an end to combat and conflict for the first time in his/her life.

Perhaps a good way to ease into non-martial activities would, ironically, be to practice a different style? Something purely defensive, utilizing another's force against them rather than one's own strength and speed, could be quite good for our young hero/ine in many ways, making him/her relearn almost from the ground up how to interact with others in a highly familiar setting.

Of course, this is coming form someone who's only seen the first 3 seasons of the show and not read the manga, so I might be missing a time that this has already happened.

Melanie E.

Ranma is basically a

Ranma is basically a commodity in the manga and anime. He is bought and sold rather regularly for differing reasons. He is a thing to all these people and thus what he wants is of no importance. By choosing to hide in the curse, Ranma is forcing people to see her instead of a thing. That is tough for some people because they really are invested in keeping Ranma down. Moving beyond the Martial Arts is part of that.

As for learning that sort of fighting, it is actually a part of Anything Goes already so it would not have the same effect. Mores the pity.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Ranma

Yes. Even using something like dance or gymnastics would follow under the tenants of Anything Goes. It would have to really be different to be effective.

Regarding bringing Mom to deal with the Ghoul, that was genius! It is the one thing the Hag would have to bow to. It would also acknowledge Mom as the decision maker of the family and not the unreliable Panda.

As always, good stuff!
Hugs
Grover

Thanks. Dealing with a

Thanks.

Dealing with a matriarchal culture is fairly easy when you have someone as over the top as Ranma's mom on your side.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Wow, another part of your

Wow, another part of your Ranma sequel fanfic. I have to agree with my preposters... It ist a good thing that you allow ranma to grow beyond the chewtoy of destiny and general victim that he was in the anime.

I really hated it that he never really resisted his father,and all those people who wanted something of him.

It's kind of interesting how you develope them though... While Ranma oozed machismo in male form, it always seemed kind of fake to me. He way outgirled Akane in girlform. Akane was guyish beyond tomboy too imho. She was never really happy with Ranma as lomg as she couldn't dominate Ranma in girlform.

Ranma was forced to do all those "guy" activities while Aknane chose too. I wonder if she'd rather be a boy or something like this.

Thank you for writing this awesome story,

Beyogi

You're welcome. I just love

You're welcome. I just love writing and this was a story idea that did not want to be denied.

Yeah, the characters did seem very constrained and this certainly gave them the chance to break out. In a way I am basing Ranma off of a girl I trained in Hapkido with while I lived in Munich in the late 80s. She was awesome and was very no holds barred in the dojo... however outside of that... she was a very Laura Ashley girl. Looking at her you would ever guess that she could cripple you in a heartbeat. Ranma strikes me like that.

Akane always struck me as more of a tomboy but not overly butch, which fits her. How traumatized she was when she lost her hair told me she loves being a girl, but her kind of girl.

Seeing the characters grow from that was really fun for me.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

The Journey is the Destination 29

Never a dull moment for Ranma

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmm

Did she or did she not voice her plans in-story? Cologne, I mean. If not, I fear for the UPG effect taking place, though Ranma has most of the elements to beat that, and is still drawing more.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Cologne has not voiced her

Cologne has not voiced her plans in story. So it is leading into really screwed up territory.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I've just read the last 28 chapters

and I really like this. To be honest, I'm not a huge Ranma fan, but this story is really well done! I'm very much looking forward to more!

Wren

Thanks. I figured that I

Thanks. I figured that I might be able to make Ranma somewhat entertaining. ;)

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.