Never My Love 7 - 'Carry Me Back To Old Virginny'

Printer-friendly version
Never My Love

Chapter 7 - 'Carry Me Back To Old Virginny'

A Gaby FanFic
by PB

(based on the 'Notes of a Journey' trilogy)

They always return to the scene of the crime...


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Permission to use the photo of Lake Louise and the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, has been granted by the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts .


 
Chapter 7
 

“Welcome back, guys!” Jessica called out as she and Robert caught sight of the girls when they emerged from the luggage claim area.

“How was the flight?”

“Quite nice … even with the three-and-a–half hour layover in Toronto,” Maddy volunteered.

“...an’ Mad still ran out of time to hit all the shops…” Gaby joked.

“You know they have a Harrods in the main terminal there? I didn’t think they had any stores outside of England … an’ it’s big!” Maddy exclaimed before sarcastically adding, “...And just like ‘ome, the prices are very affordable ... if yer Bill-bloody-Gates!”

“Yeah … it was good they called our flight before she went into full cardiac-arrest!” Gaby chuckled as Maddy took a playful swipe at her wife’s arm.

“Love the Stetson, Maddy! Black hat … long blonde hair … ‘boned’ choker … verrry sexy!” Jessica suggestively commented, quickly changing the subject. “I’ve always said you can’t beat the look of a ‘felt’ Stetson.”

“Better hang onto that one, Mad ... she’s got that look in her eye,” Gaby joked.

“Thanks…” Maddy coyly replied as she looked at Gaby. “We got this in a ‘western clothing’ store in Banff. Gabs told me that I had to get it after I tried it on.”

“You know a black hat means you’re bad,” Robert playfully stated.

“She usually is…” Gaby answered with an impish grin as she threw her arm around her blushing bride’s waist and pulled her close.

“Between you wearing your feathers and her looking like that … I bet you had a lot of guys checking you two out,” Jessica stated.

“The few that did, only looked...” Maddy voiced. “I don’t know why.”

“Maybe it was because we were always holding hands or possibly ... ‘thee’ ... kiss,” Gaby innocently added.

“The kiss?” Jessica wondered.

“Not ‘the kiss’, but ... ‘thee’ ... kiss,” Maddy joked.

“...’Thee’ ... kiss?” Jessica quietly echoed.

“You know … the kind that gives you a warm, tingly feeling all over?” Gaby quietly added as she looked at her wife.

“Oooo ... I know what those are like…” Jessica softly purred as she glanced at Robert.

“And?” Robert asked.

“Instant turn-off, I guess. Never saw 'em again,” Gaby quietly chuckled.

Jessica smiled and slowly shook her head while Robert couldn’t help but try to suppress a smile as he pictured the scene.

“Guess they felt they couldn’t compete with that.”

“You’re definitely not the same two girls I first met in England!” Jessica quietly observed with a knowing grin.

“Don’t suppose you’ve eaten yet?” Robert asked in an effort to change the subject while continuing to try to keep a straight face.

“Nope,” both girls chorused.

“There’s plenty of places around here … we can always grab a bite before heading out,” Jessica suggested as her husband took a large suitcase and the large sports bag from the girls.

Gaby rested the other suitcases on their wheeled frames, while Robert stared at the large open canvas shopping bag that Maddy was holding under one arm.
“What’s this?” he asked as he pointed to the bag.

“My … you’re nosy tonight!” Jessica playfully admonished her husband.

“That?” Maddy set the bag down and proudly pulled out a rather large stuffed bear. “Oh … that’s ‘GeeBee’. Gabs bought him for me.”

“Shoulda seen some of the looks she got carrying him around. She cuddled him for the whole flight!”

“Just him?” Jessica inquired while sporting a devilish grin.

“I didn’t say that,” Gaby softly replied with a huge smile on her face as she flicked a lock of hair off of her face.

“Well … they’re both cute!” Maddy pouted while hugging the stuffed toy in one arm and strangling Gaby’s arm with the other. “Besides … he wouldn’t fit in a suitcase.”

“He is rather cute … isn’t he?” Jessica agreed with a giggle as Maddy put him back into the bag.

“How’d you get the name ‘GeeBee’?”

“It’s his initials ... he’s a Grizzly Bear,” Maddy stated.

“Shoulda known,” Jessica deadpanned.

“We told Carol we’d call once we got here and let everyone know we arrived in one piece.”

“Do it now, sweetheart. It’s getting on two in the morning there … and knowing mum, she’s looked at our itinerary and is sitting beside the phone watching the clock.”

“You guys hang on, then? Shouldn’t be too long!”

As they stood around by the main entrance, Gaby found a nearby quiet corridor as she pulled out her mobile and called up Carol’s number. After a brief conversation, she returned it to her bag.

“You were right, Mad. She was sitting by the phone ... answered on the second ring!” Gaby playfully announced as she approached the waiting group. “Told her we got here okay and that she could go to bed.”

“She say anything?” Maddy asked.

“Not really. We kept it short an’ sweet … but she did say that everything’s okay. They’ve been keeping an eye on the house for us ... an’ that we’re just to have fun.”

A short time later, they’d loaded Rob’s SUV and were pulling out of Richmond International’s North Garage parking lot.

“You guys want fast-food or a sit-down meal?” Jessica asked as they turned onto the main road running from the airport.

“Whaddya recommend?” Gaby wondered.

“There’s an Applebee’s just up the road about a mile or so … food’s pretty decent.”

“Sounds fine,” Maddy agreed.

Later, they arrived at the restaurant and were shown their table, once inside. Out of habit, Maddy studied the establishment’s seemingly random-themed décor as she walked to her seat.

As well as the photos of various celebrities and sports figures, her eyes took in all the memorabilia for the local High School and College sports teams that adorned the walls. Various Hollywood memorabilia and other assorted knick-knacks, including a collection of car license plates were also in evidence. A large three-sided bar dominated the main eating area, with monitors hung at the four corners affording the patrons a view of whatever sport event was currently being shown.

“Something’s missing Gabs,” Maddy joked as she sat down at their table. “No pictures of you … or your mum.”

“I like this place already!” Gaby chuckled, with a very slight twist of sarcasm.

“Sounds like someone’s a little camera-shy,” Jessica playfully commented through a smile.

“With cycling being as big as it is in Europe, it seems photos of Gabs and her mum are always showing up in places like this,” Maddy explained.

“You’re famous, Gaby ... enjoy it,” Jessica offered.

“That’ll pass.”

“Not used to the attention?” Robert asked.

“Not really. Public appearances with the team or signing autographs after a race is one thing, but having people come up to you when you’re just out ... doing whatever … I still can’t get used to it.”

“It happens that often?” Jessica wondered.

“Enough…” Gaby dryly admitted. “I don’t mind the odd one, but I kinda miss being able to just go out without being stopped at least once.”

“I guess that comes with being a World Champion. People recognize you … and look up to you,” Robert needlessly pointed out.

“Didn’t you collect the autographs of those you looked up to, when you were younger?” Jessica asked.

“Nope...” Gaby softly replied. “Every time someone comes up to me and wants my autograph, I feel like asking 'em ... ‘Why?’.”

“Well ... don’t under-sell yourself,” Jessica quietly stated.

“You always said you liked signing for the kids,” Maddy softly allowed.

“The last young girl who got Gabs’ autograph told her that she wanted to be just like her.”

“I think you make a very good role model!” Jessica frankly admitted.

“It’s not the kids. They’re not the ones who come up to you when you’re eating out or just shopping with the wife,” Gaby softly stated.

“Once a World Champion ... always a World Champion. Her mum’s still signing autographs,” Maddy proudly added, as she put her hand on Gaby’s arm. “Better get used to it, sweetheart!”

“On that note … what’s everyone having? My … err …our treat,” Robert stated as Jessica playfully slapped his arm.

Taking the hint, the four focused on their menus. Following a very short discussion in which he was out-voted, Robert was deemed spokesperson for the table. A few minutes later, their server appeared.

“Are we ready to order, here … or do you folks need more time?”

“No … we’re ready, thanks. We’ll start with two orders of Potato Skins...”

After their orders were taken and the server left the table, conversation focused on bringing both couples up-to-date with their respective lives and again halted when the food was brought to their table. After they had finished their meal, their server returned to their table.

“Can I get you folks any dessert … coffee maybe?”

Looking at the girls, Robert decided to take a chance and order his favourite pie for everyone.

“Four pecan pies … and two hot teas for these two, please (indicating Gaby and Maddy) ... and could we also get a refill on our coffee? (indicating the cups in front of Jessica and himself)”

“Sure … I’ll be back in a few minutes,” the girl cheerfully replied as she started clearing the plates off their table.

As promised, she quickly returned with their dessert along with two teapots and cups. As they were being served, another girl arrived with a fresh pot of coffee for Jessica and Robert.

“I haven’t had this since the Walters,” Gaby happily commented as she dug into her pie. “Whaddya think, Mad?”

“It’s very good,” she replied between mouthfuls.

“Usually I find pecan pie too sweet, but I’ve always liked how they do their pie, here…” Jessica agreed.

After they finished their desert, Gaby automatically reached for her bag and pulled out her wallet.

“Gaby … put that away! Rob told you it was our treat!” Jessica sternly ordered, but her smile told the two girls all they needed to know.

“That was good! … Thank you,” Maddy enthused.

“Yeah, thanks … much better than the airline food we’ve all day,” Gaby echoed.

”You’re welcome,” Robert replied.

“Anything you want to do in particular while you’re here?” Jessica asked before taking the last sips of her coffee.

“I know we can’t see everyone, but since Frank and his wife couldn’t make the wedding, I’d like to see them before we go ... if they’re around,” Gaby answered.

“Call him!” Jessica suggested as she pulled out her cell and started to dial.

“Living in a small rural community like Piedmont has its advantages … it doesn’t take much to memorize the phone book. It’s ringing … here!” Gaby took the phone as Jessica reached across the table and offered it to her.

“Hello? Frank? … It’s Gaby! Oh, c’mon … how many Gaby’s do you know? (giggle). Maddy an’ I are staying with Jessica until Friday evening … but we’d love to see you an’ we were wondering when would be a good time to come around?”

There was a moment of silence while Frank was checking with his wife. “No … that’s fine. We’ll see you then … ‘bye.”

“Whadda he say, sweetheart?”

“His wife has a follow-up appointment for her hip, this week … but he’s invited all of us to lunch on Friday.”

“When do you leave?” Jessica asked.

“About twenty after eight in the evening, but since it’s an international flight ... we’ve got to be there something like three hours earlier.”

“That’s a pain, isn’t it?” Robert voiced.

“It’s roughly a two hour drive from home to the airport...” Jessica added.

“Probably be best to leave right from there, wouldn’t you say?” Robert wondered.

“Sounds like it,” Gaby agreed.

“Speaking about leaving, I think we should start thinking about getting out of here, hon. It’ll be getting on to ten by the time we get home,” Jessica suggested to her husband as she caught their server’s attention to settle the bill.

As they left Richmond, the conversation in the car turned to old friends and bygone times.

“Diane wished she could be here this week, but she’s in Oklahoma City at some convention representing Biggs Fabrications. If she gets back in time, she’ll try to get over … but if she has to stay until the end, she won’t be back until the day after you leave,” Jessica mentioned.

“Oh! She also mentioned that Derek and Patty won’t be around either. They’re in Florida showing off the twins at her parent’s ….”

“They had twins?” Gaby was surprised to hear the news. “I knew Patty was almost due around our wedding, but … twins?”

“Thomas and Nicole. They put poor ol’ Patty through hell with her labour, though ... a full twenty-eight hours! She always said she didn’t want any drugs ... but ... she eventually caved in.”

“I can’t even imagine what that’d be like!” Maddy declared.

“Derek said little Tom arrived first and his sister followed some fifteen minutes later.”

“Somehow I can’t picture Derek as a daddy,” Gaby mischievously mentioned.

“Diane says he’s really good with the kids.”

A brief pause ensued and then Jessica’s voice became noticeably quieter as she turned in her seat as much as possible to address the two.
“On a more serious note ... I suppose you two remember Dan?”

“Yes,” both girls dryly answered. Maddy winced at the memory as she glanced at Gaby.

“I can understand your feelings, but he really changed after you two left,” Jessica replied in his defence upon hearing the girl’s tone of voice.

“After graduation he went into the Army and they paid for his College. Last I heard, he eventually got his Bachelor’s in something-or-other and was working on his Master’s while getting his commission.”

She briefly paused before continuing in a much more sombre tone.

“He was killed two weeks ago while searching for a father-and-son that had been missing for a few days in the Colorado Rockies. I can’t remember the exact reason they gave, but the paper said his helicopter lost power and exploded against the cliff walls. None of the crew stood a chance. His parents buried him three days ago…”

An eerie silence fell upon the occupants of the car with only the road noise providing a distraction. A minute or two later, a sharp and bitter whisper emitted from the back.

“Why does stuff like that always ‘appen around this time of year?”

“Unfortunately ... we just notice it more when it happens now,” Jessica ventured.

“I doubt if Em knows…” Maddy murmured as she held Gaby’s hand. “Whatever she felt about the guy, this’ll hit her hard.”

“Yeah … she’s like that,” Gaby whispered. “Here he was tryin’ to help someone...”

“Better tell her and Ally when we get back,” Maddy softly suggested.

“...’Kay...”

Once again, an awkward silence fell inside the car. After they drove along for a period of time, Jessica spoke up.

“Speaking of Christmas … it’s your first one. You two have any plans?”

“Besides finding some place quiet?” Maddy joked.

“Jules says it’ll be the first gathering of the entire Bond clan in years. I know Dad’s expecting his brother an’ sister … an’ their families ... an’ I’m not really sure if I’m looking forward to that or not. I can’t even remember the last time I saw any of them.”

“Both our Gran’s will be there, as well … an’ my parents … plus the Pinger’s,” Maddy cheerfully added.

“…Gerhardt … can’t forget him!” Gaby whimsically added.

“How’re they doing?” Robert inquired.

“Hopelessly in love!” Gaby playfully answered.

“I know another couple like that…” Jessica smugly offered. She was about to ask Gaby if her father’s siblings at least knew about ‘Gaby’, but remembering her husband was in the car, she caught herself at the last moment.

As they approached Waynesboro, Robert jokingly asked, “Anyone besides the car, need to stop?”

“Could do,” Jessica innocently answered.

A few minutes later, he pulled into a truck stop on the outskirts of town. While he was filling the car, the women ran inside the adjoining convenience store. When Robert was at the counter paying for the gas, Jessica and the girls walked up to him, each one carrying a couple of bags.

“What have we got here?” Robert asked as he peered at their selections.

“Munchies for later,” Jessica replied.

“Junk food,” corrected Robert as he smugly placed his two ‘Oh Henry’ bars on the counter. Having paid for their ‘supplies’, the four returned to the car and were soon on their way to Piedmont.

“Home at last! You won’t find too many changes since you girl’s were here…” Jessica commented as Robert turned into their driveway.

“I’ve cleaned up your old bedroom … put extra towels in the upstairs bathroom and if you think of anything else ... let me know.”

Between Robert and the two girls, they quickly unloaded the car and got their luggage upstairs. As they were unpacking, Jessica poked her head in the door and suggested they get changed into something more suited to lounging around in mixed company and join her downstairs.

“Rob’s got a good fire going and I’ve got the kettle on. He’ll join us after he checks on the two boys out back…”

A short while later, Maddy came downstairs wearing her medium grey UMIST sweatshirt and matching track pants. Gaby followed on her heels, going with her Apollinaris warm-up pants and a solid black sweatshirt.

“You guys take the couch. More room to stretch out,” Jessica playfully suggested.

After disappearing into the kitchen, she brought out the tea and coffee as well as assorted munchies and left them on the coffee table before putting on some soft background music. She opted to take the plush chair opposite the couch, while leaving the recliner for Robert.

“U-MIST … I gather that’s the College you attended,” Robert asked as he read the large black-outlined, orange lettering on Maddy’s top.

“Uh huh … University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology,” Maddy proudly replied. “Even though it’s been part of the University of Manchester for a few years, it’s still called UMIST by the students.”

“You look deep in thought, Gabs…” Jessica observed.

“Not really. It’s just nice to relax and cuddle after being in airports all day,” Gaby thoughtfully replied as she pulled Maddy even closer to her.

“How was your time in the Canadian Rockies?” Jessica quietly asked as she put her coffee down on the table beside her.

“Gaby said she wanted it to be romantic … and … it … was…” Maddy gushed as she dreamily gazed at her wife.

For the next while, both girls told of their stay in Banff and all the people they met. Maddy made sure to mention their appearance at the Calgary Cycling Club’s annual dinner and Gaby’s role as a featured presenter for their award ceremony. It was a little after midnight, before everyone decided it was time to call it a day and head up to their respective rooms.

 
 
Comments are Greatly Appreciated!


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
92 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

good friends

its great to see them able to relax with good friends.
great chapter, thanks (and early too)