Never My Love 8 - 'With A Little Help From Me Friends'

Printer-friendly version
Never My Love

Chapter 8 - 'With A Little Help From Me Friends'

A Gaby FanFic
by PB

(based on the 'Notes of a Journey' trilogy)

Can I ask a favour?...


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Permission to use the photo of Lake Louise and the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, has been granted by the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts .


 
Chapter 8
 

“Morning girls,” Jessica greeted the two as they came down the stairs. “How’d you two sleep last night?”

“Now I know what they mean by ‘downsizing!” Maddy playfully hissed to her wife, thinking Jessica couldn’t hear her.

“What’s this about ‘downsizing’?” Jessica wondered as she walked back out from the kitchen.

“How did she hear that? Maddy whispered in shocked amazement.

“I … dunno...” Gaby quietly replied. “She’s a teacher?”

“You said something about ‘downsizing’…” Jessica prompted.

“Ummm … Just that it’s going to take some re-adjustment to get used to a ‘queen’ mattress again,” Maddy sheepishly offered.

“We were kinda spoilt with the ‘king-sized’ bed at the hotel,” Gaby quickly put in.

“Oooo…” Jessica teased with a wide knowing grin as the three of them walked through to the kitchen.

“Been there … done that,” Robert flatly added to the exchange, causing all three women to blush.

(cough) “Yeah … well. C’mon, you two … tea’s made ... just like Maddy taught me,” Jessica chuckled as she urged the girls and Rob to sit down at the kitchen table for breakfast.

“…’Western omelettes’ okay for everyone?”

“Okay!” everyone agreed.

“Love the Native look, guys,” Jessica commented as she looked at what the girls were wearing.

“It does have a certain charm, doesn’t it?” Gaby replied with a smile.

The girls were both wearing straight-legged jeans tucked into their knee-high moccasin boots. Maddy was wearing a red cotton blouse with the top two buttons, undone while Gaby wore her toned-down lime green cotton pullover with a ‘keyhole’ neckline and bell-sleeves. Even though Maddy didn’t bring her Nighthawk feather on the trip, both girls went for the ‘full Indian’. It was also one of the few times Gaby wore her Mohawk bracelet with polished stone details.

“Some things don’t change, do they Gabs?” Jessica knowingly smirked.

“Uh uh,” Gaby smugly grunted.

“Ever wear the moccasins outside?” Rob wondered.

“Sometimes ... in the summer ... but only if it’s dry,” Gaby replied as she and Maddy sat down at the table.

“If the rest of the team had their way, she’d be wearing them whenever she wears her feathers...” Maddy playfully added. “...And my boss likes it whenever I wear all my Aboriginal stuff. She says it dresses up the jeans.”

“You get to wear jeans to work?” Jessica asked with some envy.

“Dress like a student,” Maddy chuckled.

“That’s not fair!” Jessica playfully whined.

(Briiiiing … Briiing … Brii)

“I got it!” Rob called out as he raced to pick up the receiver.

“Hello? They’re both right here … which …oh … okay … then we’ll see you when you get here … bye.” As he came back into the kitchen and took his place at the table, everyone noticed he had a puzzled look on his face.

“Who was that, honey?”

“Deb Walters. She wanted to know if Gaby or Maddy were here, but didn’t want to talk to them … just said she’ll be over as soon as she could,” Rob explained. “She sounded a might upset.”

“I’ve no idea, Jess. We spoke to her before we left home and everything seemed okay. The only ‘downer’ was that she couldn’t say if she’d be in town while we were here,” Maddy confessed as Jessica gave the two girls an inquisitive glance.

The four quickly finished their breakfast in anticipation of Debbie’s arrival. Conversation was understandably speculative as to the reason behind her mysterious call as well as Gaby’s tentative plans to get Maddy in the saddle. However, before Maddy could comment on her wife’s plans, the doorbell rang…

(Ding dong…)

“Saved by the bell!” Gaby jokingly enthused as she ran to get the front door. When she opened it, her mood instantly changed to reflect Debbie’s sombre expression.

“May I come in?” Debbie weakly asked.

“Of course ... what’s wrong Deb?” After leaving her coat on the old wooden Deacon’s bench by the door, Debbie removed her boots before wearily walking into the open area that served as Jessica’s living room.

“Here … sit down before you fall down! I bet you could use a coffee,” Jessica instructed as Debbie flopped in one of the upholstered chairs.

“Oh … I’d love one ... thanks!” As Jessica disappeared into the kitchen, Debbie called out, “Black, please!”

When she returned with another tea for the girls and coffee for everyone else, she settled down beside her husband to hear what was on their visitor’s mind.

“Wot’s up?” Gaby was the first to break the deafening silence.

“It’s Brit,” Debbie began.

Before any questions could be asked, she held up her hand and continued, “Let me start at the beginning…” As everyone focused on their guest, she took a long sip of her coffee.

“Ahhh! … That’s better!” With a heavy sigh, Debbie launched into her explanation as the others gave her their full attention.

“It seems ages ago, now ... but ...ever since Brit and I stayed with the Bonds ... I felt Brit … seemed more interested in the girls when she was around Gabs and her friends. Later when Gabs and Jules stayed with us, I began to notice changes to Brit’s body language whenever Gaby was around her. It all made sense later, when you guys were getting ready to leave and Brit laid that kiss on you, Gabs! I don’t really know if it was the actual kiss ... or that it was in broad daylight in the school parking lot ... that set Mom off ... but I do remember that she was really ‘pissed’.”

“When we went our separate ways for College … I didn’t see too much of my sister for a while. I knew she had a few boyfriends, but nothing serious. The proverbial light went on when we were going to your wedding (nodding to Gaby and Maddy). She told me of her latest break-up and joked that maybe she wasn’t really looking for a guy. If that was true, I thought ... that would explain so much. Then last summer, she visited Ken and I ... and it was then that she decided to sit down and ‘tell all’.”

Debbie paused to take a few sips of her coffee and then quietly continued her story.

“She knew of the gay friends Ken and I have … but in hindsight … I think her 'coming-out' to mom and dad a couple of weeks later was because of a combination of several things … including how you two were accepted by everyone and the acceptance Ken and I showed when she ‘came out’ to us.”

“From what she told us at the wedding, she knew how your parents felt … especially your Dad!” Maddy pointed out.

“I guess she felt she had to do it ... regardless,” Debbie thoughtfully replied.

“Been there ... done that ... bought the t-shirt,” Maddy softly acknowledged. Gaby glanced knowingly at her wife as she gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

“If she knew ... why did she have to do it?” Debbie reverently asked.

“There’s no short answer for it, except ... she had too. Call it ‘self preservation’,” Maddy intoned.

“What happened when she told your parents?” Jessica wondered.

“Brit told me that Mom was quiet ... almost sympathetic when she ‘came out’.” Debbie paused to look at her coffee mug and contemplate her next words.

“Then we have Dad. Sis said he tried every ‘guilt’ angle and cliché in the book … from misquoting the bible to what-will-our-friends-think. When the smoke cleared and he saw that all his lecturing and shouting had no effect, he told her to get out and that she wasn’t his daughter anymore. I guess Mom tried to calm him … but when his mind is set…”

“Surely that was just the moment!” Jessica was clearly thrown by hearing about extreme nature of his reaction. “From some of the parent-teacher interviews I had with him … I knew he could be pig-headed once his mind was made-up ... but this?”

“No … Dad meant it. He even stood at her bedroom door and watched her pack. She’s now living with her girlfriend, off-campus, in Boston...” Debbie reluctantly admitted.

“When did this all happen?” Jessica wondered.

“I’m not sure ... but she only told me about it the other day, when I phoned her to ask about her plans for Christmas.”

She again paused to take the last few sips of her now cold coffee.

“I told Ken and immediately flew here on the red-eye to try to talk some sense into my folks. Sis reluctantly agreed to fly down last night and meet up with me in Richmond. That’s where I was this morning. After we got a room at that ‘Best Western’ outside of Waynesboro, I drove straight here while she stayed back in the room.”

“They know you’re coming?” Robert asked.

“No.”

“You said you could use our help … how?” Gaby wondered. “Sure Brit’s our friend, but we’d only make matters worse if we just showed up. As far as your ‘rents are concerned ... we’re just two more bloody lesbians.”

“I thought if I can get things where we can talk rationally…” Debbie started to say.

“Based on what you just told us...” Jessica angrily interrupted.

“I know ... but I thought if I can get things to where we can have a calm discussion, Gabs and Maddy could at least explain things to Mom and Dad.”

(sigh) “I don’t know how to put it, but you’re both my ‘ace-in-the-hole’. Sure, I can argue in support of my sister all I want ... but I’m not a lesbian ... I can't speak from first-hand experiences like you guys can,” Debbie quietly pleaded.

“You know we’ll do whatever we can, Deb...” Gaby readily replied after a quick glance to see Maddy’s approval.

“Thank you…”

“Don’t thank us … yet,” the girls cautiously chorused.

“We still have to deal with your dad,” Gaby added.

“When do you want to do this?” Maddy wondered.

“Today ... now!”

“Why not take some time and gather yourself, first? You look awful!” Jessica asked. “I don’t think a couple more hours is going to make any difference.”

“Maybe you’re right. Between the flight and the layovers … I got precious little sleep last night. Before I got here, I think I was running on pure adrenaline. All I know is that once I pulled into your driveway and took the keys out … I just wanted to close my eyes.”

“Then go have a lie-down on our bed. We can go when you’re feeling more yourself,” Maddy offered.

“Good idea!” Jessica agreed.

“Thanks … best phone Brit an’ let her know what’s going on, first.”

“Use our phone … Waynesboro’s a local call from here,” Robert offered as Debbie pulled out her cell phone. “No roamin’ charges.”
After a short conversation with her sister, she gratefully accepted their offer of sleep while rising from the chair to follow Jessica over to the stairs.

A few minutes later, Jessica returned to the living room and surveyed the empty coffee cups.

“Didn’t take Deb long...” Jessica whispered to Gaby while the girls helped clean up.

When they finished cleaning-up, Jessica produced two apples from the fridge and offered them to the girls.

“Why don’t you go and say hello to the boys? Somehow, they know you’re her and Deb’ll probably be down for a while, yet. I’ll call you if she wakes before you‘re back in.”

“C’mon, Mad!” Gaby enthused as she accepted the apples.

She quickly plopped herself down on a kitchen chair, proceeded to remove her moccasins and put on one of the pair of rubber boots Jessica still kept by the kitchen door. Maddy quickly copied her wife and soon the two were walking at a semi-brisk pace, over to the shed where the two horses were kept.

“Slow down, Gabs ... I think I got Rob’s boots!” Maddy playfully urged as Gaby swung open the large doors to the shed and started to go inside.

“They don’t seem as big as I last saw them,” Maddy playfully commented as she entered the shed.

“Funny how that happens, innit?”

Upon hearing a familiar voice, first Paint then Tonto peered out of their respective stalls at the approaching girls. Gaby entered Paint’s stall, quickly closing the gate after her. After hoping up on the low wall between the horses, she coaxed her wife to enter Tonto’s stall and join her while offering the apple to Paint.

“C’mon Mad … Tonto’s tame … he likes pretty girls. Just make sure the gate’s closed behind you.”

Once she entered the stall and secured the gate, she offered her apple to Tonto while patting him on his neck.

“So … you think you might like to try riding Tonto later on, if Jess agrees?”

“I guess so … sure … but why do I have to get Tonto?”

“… cuz Paint’s my horse! Jess’ just keeping him for me!” Gaby teased. “We’ll have to see if she has some ‘Cowboy’ boots we can wear before we go riding.”

“Oh … I’m sure I do. Think you might like to go for a ride, Maddy?” Jessica asked as she walked up to Tonto’s stall.

“Later … if we could.” During the whole exchange, Maddy was standing beside Tonto and stroking his neck.

“I don’t see any problem with that,” Jessica quietly replied, then turning her attention to Gaby, added with a knowing grin, “I told you Paint missed you.”

“First we need to help Brit…” Gaby quietly mentioned.

“Agreed.”

Gaby slid off her perch and after giving both horses a final pat, the girls exited the stalls and joined Jessica to head back to the house.

“Weren’t you girl’s cold?” Jessica wondered, pulling her own sweater around her as they crossed the open yard.

“Wasn’t bad in there,” Gaby offered as they moved quickly to get into the warm house.

“Good timing, ladies … I think I heard Deb moving around, upstairs,” Rob mentioned as they were removing their boots. A short time later, Debbie came down.

“Ready guys?”

“You didn’t have much of a nap,” Maddy observed.

“I know. I just want to get this over with. The more I lay there thinking about it … the angrier I got.”

“Nice car!” Gaby later enthused. The girls looked on in amazement as Debbie led them out to a yellow Ford Mustang GT with black interior and wide dual black racing strips running the length of the car.

“Can we get one, sweetheart?” Maddy half-joked.

(sigh) “I’d really love to say it’s mine ... but it’s a rental,” Debbie pouted. “Don’tcha just love how they managed to keep most of the classic look after all these years?”

“Ever notice how the sexy girls always drive the real cool cars, Mad?” Gaby playfully asked as she tilted the back of the front passenger seat forward, while Maddy crawled into the back.

“So how come you aren’t driving one?” Debbie responded with a huge grin.

“She’s got a point…” Maddy sweetly agreed as Gaby started to blush a vivid red. A short time later, the three girls were on their way into Grottoes to face Debbie’s father.

“Let me talk to Mom and Dad, first … and get ready to pull me out if it all goes sour,” Debbie half-joked as they pulled into the driveway behind her parent’s two cars.

“Think they’re waiting for us? It’s quiet … almost too quiet,” Gaby softly commented as she got out and held the seat forward to let Maddy out.

“I think you watch too many scary movies, Gabs … but … I admit ... it is kinda spooky … no birds ... nothin’,” Debbie whispered as she got out of the car. “Don’t slam the doors ... the element of surprise and all that!”

“You still have a key, Deb?” Maddy asked in a hushed voice, as they approached the door.

“For now…,” Debbie smirked as she opened the inner storm door. Seconds later, the three girls were standing inside the main entrance of the house, looking into the living room at her father.

“Debbie ... you should’ve called and told … us…”

Donald’s voice became cold as he noticed Gaby and Maddy standing behind her. Just then, Jocelyn came out of the kitchen still drying her hands and momentarily froze when she caught site of the two girls.

“Hello, girls.”

“They’re staying with Jessica for a few days ... and before you say anything ... they’re here because I asked them. We have to talk,” Debbie flatly explained as they removed their boots.

“Stay here for now, guys … you’ll know when it’s safe,” she hissed and then confidently ushered her parents into the dining room. Debbie’s raised voice could be heard almost as soon as the double doors were closed.

“What were you thinking? How could you treat my sister … your own flesh n’ blood … that way?” It was the last clear voice the two girls heard as the heated arguments and counter-arguments came fast and furious.

“Sit down, darling. It sounds like it could be a while before there’s a lull in the hostilities,” Gaby suggested as she sat on one of the lower steps of the main staircase and patted the carpeted step beside her.

“What was that poem? Oh, yeah … Half a league … Half a league … Half a league onward … All in the valley of Death … Rode the six hundred…” Maddy mumbled as she squirmed to get comfortable.

“That about sums it up,” The two girls then sat quietly and listened a bit longer to the melee of shouting voices, before Gaby broke the silence.

“Kinda sounds like Parliament ... don’t it?”

“Uh huh,” Maddy acknowledged. “Gawd … I wish we didn’t have to be here, sweetheart.”

“I know … I feel the same way, luv … but if we can help Brit … it’s worth it.”

Every once in a while, someone’s voice would dominate the ‘discussion’, but it seemed to the girls that the only two really doing the arguing were Debbie and her dad. It also very obvious to the girls, that her position was non-negotiable. Later, in the midst of more raised voices and endlessly repeated arguments, Jocelyn suddenly ran from the dining room in tears and collapsed on the couch in the living room. Debbie was still verbally sparring with her father as she quickly followed her mother into the living room.

Donald stood in the dining room doorway and glared first, at the girls sitting on the stairs and then at his oldest daughter, as she sat on the couch holding her mom. As she turned to face her dad, Debbie slowly and angrily threw down her trump card through clenched teeth.

“If you can’t accept … and love … my sister … as herself ... you can’t love me! You throw her out of this family … and you throw me out! It’s your choice…”

“Debbie … honey! You can’t mean that!” Mrs. Walters cried out as tears streamed down her cheeks.

“Why not?” Debbie coldly replied, suddenly reeling around to face her mother.

“You had no problems when ... he ... threw my sister out! If I walk out that door without you and Dad unconditionally accepting Britney … I swear … it’s the last you’ll ever see or hear of either me … or Brit!”

Snapping her head back to face her father, she met his cold stare with her own and demanded, “It’s your call … your answer … now!”

A very real chill descended over the room and a classic ‘Mexican standoff’ soon materialized in front of the girls. They slowly stood up from where they were sitting, in anticipation of Debbie’s next move. Mr. Walters remained standing silently in the doorway, a cold, unemotional stare fixated on his remaining daughter.

After several tense minutes had passed, Debbie decided to raise the stakes and force her father’s decision. Abruptly releasing her mother, she shot up from the couch and headed for the front door.

Debbie! …” Jocelyn pleaded. When the three girls began putting their boots on, Mrs. Walters angrily turned to her husband.

“Donald! For God’s sake … she’s going! Enough of this macho bullshit … you’re not at the bar arguing with the boys, this is our family we’re talking about ... now say something!” When he still remained silent, she decided that she’d had enough.

“If we lose our girls…”

Her icy stare and the conviction in her voice said all that needed to be said and immediately, Jocelyn and the girls saw Donald’s cold expression, thaw.

“Okay … I’m listening,” Mr. Walters quietly conceded as he walked into the living room and sat down in his favourite chair. “Might as well get comfortable!”

“I think it’s safe, guys … phase two ... c’mon,” Debbie nervously whispered.

The three girls removed their boots and cautiously relaxed, while making ready to head into the living-room. Acting upon Debbie’s direction, the two girls calmly made for the ‘love seat’ while she quickly grabbed her cell phone from her purse and punched some numbers.

“Hang tight … we’re still talking,” Debbie quietly conveyed to her sister. After returning the phone to her purse, she then joined the others.

“If this is a family discussion … why are they here? No offence girls,” Donald abruptly asked Debbie as she sat down.

“Since we’re talking about Brit’s life and your bigotry ... why not? Considering what this town has put these two through … can you think of anyone more qualified to offer us their expert insight?”

Donald let out a subdued grunt and sat back in his chair.

“So how do we begin this?” he sarcastically wondered.

“First you get rid of that attitude or we can stop right now and the girls and I will leave!” Debbie angrily replied.

“Donald … please!” Jocelyn softly implored her husband to co-operate with an open mind.

“Go on...” Mr. Walters muttered.

“More than likely, you guys heard everything ... right?” Debbie directed her question to Gaby.

“Hard not to ... even out there by the stairs,” Gaby offered.

“What did you think?” Debbie pressed.

“Strange question ... even for you, Deb...” Maddy commented.

“First thing that crossed my mind was judging by your dad's attitude, this town hasn’t changed. I just thought I’d never hear those same sentiments from two people that Jules and I were so fond of. Thankfully, Deb and Britney decided to make up their own minds an’ not listen to you,” Gaby calmly observed.

“You obviously think we're wrong,” Donald smugly retorted.

“Please, Dad ... I asked these two here because unlike the three of us, they can speak to us from personal experience and not out of some irrational fear,” Debbie pleaded as she motioned for Gaby to continue.

“Mr. Walters ... one thing you quite clearly repeated several times was that … she ‘chose’ to be a lesbian. Do you honestly believe that being lesbian, gay, transgendered or anything else ... is something we ... choose? Those words not only hurt ... but they also reveal a gross ignorance of the subject an’ a closed mind.”

Gaby paused for a second to let that sink in.

“Let me assure you, it is definitely not something anyone chooses! Why on earth would we choose to become targets for verbal and physical abuse? We’re born that way ... just as you were born heterosexual or a child’s born with a heart defect!”

“Right…” Donald sarcastically dismissed.

“Then answer me this. When you were a kid ... why did you ‘decide’ that girls were attractive to you an’ not the other boys? Was there a point in your life that you actually had to think about who you found more interesting ... boys ... or girls ... or did your apparent interest in girls just come naturally?”

After getting an awkward silence as an answer, Gaby pressed on.

“There’s a fairly respected scientific theory, that claims all your basic instincts … including one’s gender and orientation … are hard-wired in the brain while you’re still in the womb, along with all your other survival instincts ... in something they call your ‘primitive brain’. Research has concluded that unlike the rest of the brain, we can’t change or ‘unlearn’ what’s in there. Science has also found out that the brain doesn’t always develop to agree with the physical body. A lot of things can go amiss and affect the chemical mix needed for a ‘normal’ baby. If this chemical mix isn’t right, the result can be anything from … physical deformities … to a life-threatening disease … or even the development of the brain, itself.”

As Gaby was speaking, she kept her gaze on Donald. Although he politely sat there, she couldn’t read him so she wasn’t sure if she was getting through or not. Regardless, she calmly pressed on.

“You can look all this up yourself, but the bottom line is that your daughter did not choose to be a lesbian … she was born that way. Brit was destined to like girls even before the doctor first spanked her! It has nothing to do with the way she was raised … or the people she hung around with ... so don’t even start to blame each other or anyone else!”

“You’re correct ‘bout one thing, though. She did have a choice ... either be honest with herself or continue to live a lie an’ pretend to like boys … just to please the two of you. The fact that she chose to ‘out’ herself to you tells me that her decision was a bit of a no-brainer. I guess that she wasn’t prepared to wait until both of you were dead an’ buried before she could lead her own life ...”

Again, an awkward silence enveloped the room. At that point, Maddy decided it was her cue to enter the discussion.

“At our wedding … Britney told us you were kinda okay with our relationship … but with her … you’re not. Why the double standard?

“You’re not my daughter!” Donald spat.

“I see ... you’re okay with lesbians … as long as they’re not in your family.”

“Homosexuality is a sin against God … but … it’s your sin,” Donald muttered.

“Don’t even go there, Dad! Besides ... since when did you get all religious? I bet you can’t tell me the last time you even stepped into a church or held a bible ... can you?” Donald fell silent at his daughter’s attack.

“Yeah ... I thought so! Can’t think back that far, can you? More likely you’re only concerned with how your drunken friends see you!”

Before Mr. Walters could retaliate, Maddy added to the inquisition.

“Is Deb right, Mr. Walters? Is it because your daughter dared to ‘come out’ you … her ‘loving’ parents … an’ now you’re worried about how your neighbours an' friends will look at you if they found out?” Gaby could hear her wife’s anger rising as she questioned Donald.

“Easy Mad…” Gaby soothed.

“Sorry, sweetheart … but of all the stupid, bloody … reasons!” Maddy’s voice oozed with disgust as she leaned back into her wife’s comforting embrace. Moments later, speaking in a softer tone, she broke the awkward silence that once again, fell on the room.

“Sorry, everyone…”

“No! Don’t apologize for being right, Mad...” Debbie calmly replied as she sat glaring at her father.

Debbie’s parents looked at each other in reflective thought, for several minutes. It was Jocelyn who spoke first.

“Suppose we admit that we were wrong? What were we supposed to do? What’ll happen to us when it’s common knowledge? What kind of life will she have? Will we have?”

“Did you just hear yourself? What will happen to us? What kind of life will we have? What is this ‘we’ or ‘us’ crap? It’s always been keeping up appearances with you, hasn’t it? To hell with worrying about how this family looks to the outside world! We’re talking about my sister ... your own flesh and blood!” Debbie forcefully pointed out.

“Deb’s right, Mrs. Walters. There is no ‘us’ ... an’ no ‘we’. No one’s going to care if your daughter’s a lesbian or not,” Gaby added. “As for Brit…”

“We’re only concerned for her welfare,” Jocelyn stated.

“How? By kicking her out of the family? Damn funny way to show your concern,” Debbie angrily shot back. Jocelyn grimaced at the ferocity of her daughter’s response.
“Remember … she’s still the same Britney you gave birth to and she still needs the love and support of her parents,” Gaby voiced.

“Admittedly, she’ll have to watch herself when she’s here … unless things have changed radically in Augusta County since we were last here,” Maddy added.

“What do you mean by that?” Donald sharply asked.

“Only that she’ll have to outwardly conduct herself as any other girl her age would and not call attention to herself … especially when she’s with a girlfriend. Even you have to admit that this isn’t exactly the most tolerant of communities,” Maddy responded with a measure of restraint.

“You have to realize, Dad … that not everyone, everywhere ... agrees with the bigoted people of this county. Eleven States currently have same-sex legislation giving gay couples the same rights as everyone else ... and that number is slowly increasing. Internationally, there’s an increasing number of countries that have similar if not more open-minded, legislation. You honestly think politician's would’ve been able to pass anything like that if the people didn’t agree with them? Face it, Dad ... attitudes are changing and people like you are becoming extinct. Brit would have no problem with just being herself in public,” Debbie calmly interjected. “The only threat to her is from the shrinking number of narrow-minded folks like yourself that refuse to see them as people.”

“Case in point ... these two,” Debbie added while pointing to Maddy and Gaby. “They’ve travelled through several countries with no problems ... right Gabs?”

“Because of the whole negative experience with the exchange visit, I decided that I’d never hide that I was a lesbian or that I loved Maddy, if I was ever asked. A few weeks after we returned to Warsop, we moved to Germany an’ I put that decision into practice. From the start ... everyone knew ... friends, schoolmates, family friends, extended family ... everyone. Before we were married, whenever Mad an’ I appeared in public, we’d carry on as any other couple in love would do. We still do ... and so far, where ever we’ve gone ... we’ve been accepted as just another married couple,” Gaby revealed.

“I’ve got three photos on my desk at work ... one of Gabs on her bike and the other two are of the two of us together ... and one of those is our wedding photo,” Maddy beamed.

Debbie decided now was the time to pounce. Seeing her parent’s shock with the girl’s comments, she decided to ‘up the ante’ when she turned the conversation back to her sister.

“If Brit brings a girlfriend here … it’s no different as if she brought a boy home. So they kiss, cuddle, hold hands … or any of the other things a couple might do … so what? Why should it bother you? They’re not hurting anyone and it’s just as natural for them as it is for you and Dad.”

What?” Donald exclaimed in a loud voice. “She’s not...

“I don’t know … seeing Brit with another girl. How did your parents react when they first saw you and Maddy?” Jocelyn calmly asked Gaby while cutting off her husband, mid-sentence.

“They accepted it without question … but I really don’t think it’s fair for you or Brit to use us as any kind of definitive guide. In our case, we literally grew up together and both sets of parents saw a relationship developing between us even before we did … right, Mad?”

“Uh huh…” Maddy softly replied as she nodded in agreement.

“Mom? You and Dad wondered about how you’d feel if you saw Brit with another girl, right?”

“Of course … why shouldn’t we? I’d like to know what to expect,” Jocelyn sharply responded.

All three girls were puzzled by Mrs. Walters’ choice of words.

“What do you mean ... you’d like to know what to expect?” Debbie pointedly asked.

“Seeing Britney making out with another girl ... how am I going to react?” Jocelyn quickly answered.

“Same way you’d react if that was a boy in her arms!” Debbie shot back.

“Not in this house,” Mr. Walters fumed.

After a few thoughtful seconds, Debbie made an observation.

“Don’t worry Dad ... I doubt Brit would make out with her girlfriend here ... they’d get a room. Anyway, do you two realize the whole time we’ve been here in the living room … Maddy’s been snuggled up against Gaby and they’ve been holding hands? For a while … she was even resting her head on Gaby’s shoulder. Hell ... the only thing they haven’t done in front of you … is kiss ... and it never even bothered you ... did it?”

“I never noticed,” Mrs. Walters quietly admitted.

“That’s my point! So why should it be any different with Britney?” Debbie quietly asked.

“Because she’s our daughter…” Donald curtly replied.

“Is she, Dad? You were the one who threw her out and disowned her.”

ahem) “Umm … ahhh ... she’s still a Walters … just … like you are…” Donald weakly conceded. Debbie rose from her chair and then met her dad in the middle of the floor for a long hug.

“Does this mean that Britney can come back … with no conditions?” Debbie whispered.

“It’ll take some gettin’ use to, but …yes,” Donald softly replied.

“Just Britney?” Debbie asked in a hushed voice, still holding her dad.

“Let’s cross that bridge when we come to it.”

“I’ll tell her to give you lots of advance warning.”

“Fair ‘nuff.”

“Not to look a gift horse in the mouth … but what changed your mind?”

“When you pointed out how those two where sittin’ together. I actually had to stop to think if it really bothered me or not. That in itself made me think long and hard. Even your mother didn’t notice and she was lookin’ directly at them the whole time! You also made me realize that I still love Britney. I just hope she’ll give me another chance.”

“I know she will…”

As Jocelyn got up from her chair and approached the pair, Debbie turned and gave her mother a tear-full hug.

“Would you happen to still have the girl’s wedding pictures here? I think I’d kind of like to look at them while they’re still here,” she whispered to Debbie. “We best have an idea of what we could be in fer…”

“I’ll warn you … there’s lotsa hand-holdin’ an’ kissin’ ... an’ other mushy stuff… ” Debbie playfully acknowledged.

“I think your dad and I will survive…” Jocelyn quietly reassured her eldest daughter.

“If you feel you’re ready for it ... I think I left the CD in my room from the last time I was here. Be right back.”

When she was mid-way up the stairs she turned and grasping the railing with both hands, called down into the girls, “Hey, guys … you don’t mind sticking around to look at your CD … do you?”

“Do we have a choice? You got the car!” Gaby cheerfully replied.

“How long’s this CD?” Jocelyn inquired of the girls.

“Only about fifteen minutes. The photographer we had, made a slide show set to two pieces of music that we’d used that day … you’ll see some photos of the ceremony and touring the town square after we left the church, as well as a few of the reception, including our ‘first dance’.”

“...Touring the town square?” Mrs. Walters quietly wondered.

“The main entrance to the church literally opened up onto the town square. Apparently there’s a really nice local tradition that when a couple’s married there, they ‘tour’ the square upon leaving the church ... mingling with any and all who happen to be there at the time,” Gaby cheerfully explained.

“You know how busy a town square gets on a Saturday afternoon?” Maddy joked.

“Got it!” Debbie enthused as she came down the stairs, waving the clear ‘jewel case’ in one hand.

“Deb? Why don’t you go an’ get Brit first … then look at it with your parents?” Gaby suggested.

“She’s here?” Donald inquired with a small bit of hope.

“Brit and I took a room at a motel just outside of Waynesboro,” Debbie admitted. “We didn’t know how things were going to turn out.”

“I have a better idea ... how ‘bout we all go and get her?” Mr. Walters quietly suggested with a faint smile, as he glanced at Maddy and Gaby.

 
 
Comments are Greatly Appreciated!


 
To Be Continued...
 

up
103 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

BIG Q. Did I misread things?

I thought during the original school visit to Grottoes, the mom was the more bigoted or at least stuck in assuming girls were all the same. Only as the wedding approached and now was the dad of Brit and Deb the bigot.

He seemed the more stable, rational one and the mom the overly sentimental, girly, polyanna-ish one. Or did I misread all that?

At least they have helped the sisters. And is Brit really strictly a lesbian or bi but pushed to be stanchly lesbian by her dad's acting an ass? Deb was right to pull the "no daughters ever" card to counter her dad's ejection of Brit.

But then part of me feels Brit needs to suffer a little after all the shit her stupidity put Drew/Gaby though.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Powerful stuff, this chapter

P.P.S. Surprised Maddie didn't admit to the dad she had put Gaby thru hell in Grottoes and for almost five years after due to prejudice ingrained at Grottoes and how she regretted her folly and still feels guilty despite Gaby forgiving her.

John in Wauwatosa

Brit a lesbian didn't see that one coming.

That came outta left field for sure but it does kinda explain a few things though. @ John your right in the original she was the more girls should do girl things but I don't think she was exactly biggot so to speak as for Mr.W it's possible he was one all along but cause he didn't know about gaby/maddy's relationship we don't know. I wonder how'd they react if gabby told them that when she was born she was missexed so to speak.

Exactly right...

Because the Walters never knew of Gaby's medical status or her relationship with Maddy, there was no reason for anyone to get upset. As far as they were concerned, Gaby was a pretty 13yr old girl who was, according to Mrs. W., a tomboy who needed to come out of her shell. Later, on the way to the girl's wedding, Brit did mention that after the visit Jessica did inform the Walters about Gaby's true nature.

In Brit's case, clues to her orientation appeared in the trilogy - you just had to find them. To listen to the Walters sisters ... who was the bigot? Brit defended her mom not being at the wedding saying it was her dad's decision and according to Debbie ... it was her dad that later disowned Brit and threw her out of the house after learning of his daughter's orienation - not mom.

PB

I'll be honest in that while

I'll be honest in that while the girls were on their exchange trip, I liked Mr. Walters a bit more than Mrs. Walters. He seemed to understand Gaby a bit more and care about her safety overtly. However, when I first thought about it, a lot of times (not always) it is the father/male that has a negative reaction to homosexuality and so forth. Speaking from experience (living in Virginia and having traveled around the area quite a bit), it is more believable to me that Mr. Walters has a problem with Brit being a lesbian.
Shannon Johnston

Samirah M. Johnstone