Could I have this dance?

Printer-friendly version

I had this story kicking around in my head for the past couple of days. It's short, but sweet. Enjoy

--SEPARATOR--

She was a beauty. Sure there were other women in that room at the time, but none had the beauty and happiness that radiated on her face. Her dress was a sight to behold. The lace that run up the sides was exquisite. Her hair was done up with flowers on one side. And that smile never left her lips.

I waited patiently for my turn to dance with the beauty. I heard the DJ call out my dance, so I headed out onto the floor. I felt a swelling of pride as I gently took her hand and led her to the center of the dance floor. The music started and we began to slowly move about the floor.

With each step and turn I began to recall the long road to this moment. I could recall each fight, each threat and every tear. The screams that shook our old house, the promises and the breakdowns. I had never thought I would be having this dance, not with her. Yet life has a way of surprising you.

She laid her head against my chest and I realized that it was no longer my job to protect this tender, loving person. Now that job was taken by someone else. No more late nights of watching the door, waiting for her to come in from a date. No more mending fences over a bowl of ice cream.

As the song neared the end I thought about the journey that led us here. From the moment I heard the doctor tell me it was a boy, I had been on cloud nine. Of the main family, I had been the last hold out when my son told us he was really a girl. I was the one trying to fight it.

I can't recall the moment I first saw my daughter, instead of my son, but I was glad that I did. But the tears and fights didn't end. Instead the fights were against self doubt, the tears were from fear. Each battle that came up, I stood by my daughter. I became her source of strength and she became my happiness.

As the song ended, she looked up into my eyes and whispered. “I love you daddy.” And once again, like it had every time she flashed me the puppy dog eyes after a fight, my heart melted.

up
108 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well painted with words:)

Short sweet and lovingly artistic. This was really good.

Bailey Summers

I'm Sure Most of Us Wish

littlerocksilver's picture

... for something like this: the joy of acceptance. That was so beautifully done.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Very lovely....

Andrea Lena's picture

...a nice way to wrap up a long day with such a tender and sweet relationship. I'm weeping, but it's all okay. Thank you.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Short

Angharad's picture

and sweet.

Angharad

Angharad

Not sure...

kristina l s's picture

.. it fits the drabble ideal. Word count or whatever, but so what. Strength is more than words. This showed that very well. Surprised me actually, the viewpoint. Nice one.

Kristina

Could I have this dance?

Every father's dream is to hear those three words from his Princess.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Really?

Andrea Lena's picture

...no, not really. That's the whole point. Not every father has that dream. And not every daughter can say, I loive you daddy. And not every father treats his child like royalty, princess or otherwise! Sad, but that's what makes this story special. The whole idea that at one time, hearing those words was indistinct and hopeless.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Well Done

No other words needed.

"my heart melted."

Mine melted reading this one.

Nice. Thanks to random solos for pointing me to this story

DogSig.png