The Rioter's Tale

Printer-friendly version

The Rioter’s Tale.
By Angharad.

I walked past the bridal shop every day. The woman who owned it changed the display every second week–possibly to prevent exposure to sunlight of the dresses inside. I stopped and looked in the window and drooled each time I went past. I just love wedding dresses and these were some to die for, not that I’d ever wear one. First, they were worth hundreds if not thousands of pounds; second, I’m not even in a relationship let alone engaged to be married; third, my birth certificate says boy.

Birth certificates don’t determine what we each feel ourselves to be, and I feel more girl than boy, but in my situation I can’t do much about it. I’m out of work and pretty well unemployable. I have a criminal record. It’s a long story and happened some time ago. Let’s see, I’m nineteen so it’s eight years ago, I was eleven when it happened.

My elder brother Tim was the only one who knew about how I felt about things, you know being a girl really. Tim was nearly six years older than me, so he was sixteen going on seventeen. He was a lovely boy except he did drugs, not heroin or anything like that, but weed and E. He got some bad E one weekend and it blew his kidneys–he died a few days later.

I remember crying and crying when he died, even though I’d seen him in the coma in intensive care, I couldn’t believe he was dead. I wouldn’t believe he was dead. The police did an investigation but let’s face it, they couldn’t find shit up someone’s bum. They couldn’t find the man who’d supplied him with the drugs. Two of his friends were also ill, one nearly died and they couldn’t remember who sold them the stuff–at least that’s what they told the cops.

I used to go and sit with Frankie while he was recovering. He’d lie in bed because his legs didn’t work too well for a while, and I’d keep him company until his girlfriend used to come after school. I was let off school because I had depression caused by bereavement. Frankie’s girlfriend, Tanya, used to tease me and call me his nursemaid–but secretly, I liked it.

Eventually, Frankie told me who supplied the drugs which made him ill and poisoned Tim–a boy called Gerald Greensit. I asked him if he was sure and he told me he was. I went and spoke to the police but they weren’t really interested, some big drug bust was going down and they had bigger fish to fry–so they said, and besides, Tim’s case was closed.

I was eleven and disgusted. A week later I was still eleven and disgusting. I killed Gerald Greensit, I poisoned him. I put anti-freeze in his Coke. What gave me away was laughing when the school announced he was dead. They said I was probably psychotic although I confessed and told them why.

My mother went very strange and killed herself and my dad just got drunk all the time. They put me into a Young Offenders Unit, I was the youngest one there and they all wanted me to be their girlfriend. I was young and naive and thought they could see what I really was–instead, all they wanted was a soft bum to poke and I spent five years being buggered in all senses. Maybe I was psychotic–I used to just sit in my room in the corner and pretend I was somewhere else. I tried to kill myself twice but they found me in time and resuscitated me–how I hated them for that.

I used to take all sort of pills–I was like a zombie–but no one understood how I felt. I tried to tell the psychiatrist that I was really a girl. He pretended to humour me and even gave me hormones for a while–it gave me girly hips and small tits but he was transferred and the next bloke stopped it all.

I got to eighteen and they threw me out on parole–and I’ve been out here ever since. An effeminate looking, androgynous man, who has a girlish body, long hair and a history of mental illness and murder. Would you employ me? I wouldn’t.

My dad came to see me once–then the drink really took off and he died in debt. They had to sell our house to pay for his funeral the bloody solicitor got most of the proceeds. I was allowed out for the day–handcuffed to a screw. I was too out of it to take on board what was happening–thanks to the pills–we just sat at the back–him bored to hell and me in a daze.

I get benefits, they pay for my rent–a bedsit in a house full of nutters or drunks–yeah, compared to them, I’m sane. I’ve tried for several jobs, but no one wants me and I think they’ve got me down as too crazy to employ.

I have very little spare money, so I have to be very careful. I buy stuff in charity shops–usually girl’s stuff–but sort of unisex–all my jeans are girl’s ones, most of my tees are too, I wear baggy tops over my bra and tee shirts and get away with being of indeterminate sex.

I tried to get referred to Charing Cross but my GP was of the opinion that I was too crazy to be accepted–my criminal record plus my suicide attempts would get me turned down. He did agree to give me birth control pills to help keep me stable and stop becoming masculinised, so I was grateful for that. I was so thin that although my body was feminine I looked like a skeleton with fried eggs on her chest.

I would pass the bridal shop each day on my way to the library–I’d be there all day most days. I read and read and also learned to use the internet. I couldn’t afford even a phone, so my hour or so a day on the library system meant I could at least research what and who I was–and stupid, I wasn’t.

Then I’d pass the bridal shop on the way back and look at the dresses and dream. I did have two outfits of my own at home–all of it second hand, a dress and a skirt and top, a couple of pairs of tights and one pair of courts. I do wear bras and panties all the time but they’re only cheap ones unless I can see some better ones in the charity shops–which is where I bought my nightdresses. The ladies in my local Oxfam think I’m a girl anyway, so I don’t disabuse them.

Socially, I’m a pariah–I don’t really have any friends–but solitary–for my own protection–means I got used to being on my own. I wish I had friends, but as soon as they know my history–they tend to disappear.

One night as I came home from the library–I stayed there until they kicked me out–there was something going down. Lots of people were milling about the streets and my main concern was to get home and avoid them–especially as if I got involved in anything, they could re-arrest me. I’d rather die than go back to the prison system.

I was a maybe fifty yards down from the row of shops which included the bridal one when things started to happen. I heard glass smashing and raised voices and the little corner shop run by a couple of Pakistanis was raided for booze and cigs. I felt the urge to run for my room–instead I stood and watched–almost mesmerised as the crowd swelled and another shop was attacked.

I began to feel anger, what right did these yobs–because that’s what they were–have to destroy other people’s property, and instead of running away I walked back to do what I could to stop them–from attacking my beloved bridal shop.

Two girls started banging on the windows and tried to force the door. The burglar alarms went off and the woman who owned it and who lived upstairs began screaming at them to leave her place alone.

Some boy, presumably the boyfriend of one of the girls began banging on the window with a baseball bat. I saw red and flew at him. I don’t know what people thought when I ran up to him and pushed him away from the shop. He pushed me back harder and I fell over.

He hit the window again and it began to crack. I jumped up and with the only weapon I had, some books in a plastic carrier bag, whacked him across the face. He fell backwards dropping the bat, which I picked up and screeched at the rest of them to go away. For what seemed like hours–my crazy figure–kept them at bay and just as they were about to attack me, sirens sounded and they all ran off, dragging their injured colleague with them–the girls swearing all sorts of revenge–at the bitch who’d frustrated them.

The police arrived and as I was picking up my now torn books, they grabbed me as one of the rioters–wonderful. However, the woman ran out of the shop and told them what had happened. Reluctantly, they let me go–after removing the baseball bat as they went.

She saw that I was about to fall over with exhaustion and took me into the shop. “I don’t know how I can ever thank you for saving my shop from that mob.”

I was too tired to say anything but nodded. She sat me down in a little kitchen behind the shop and made some tea, which I gratefully accepted. All I’d had all day was a bottle of water and a couple of biscuits–my usual rations in the library.

“I see you looking in here every day, don’t I?”

I nodded and felt tears begin to run down my face.

“You like my dresses?”

I nodded.

“What’s your name, I’m sorry, I’m Pam, Pam Stokes.”

I had to say something, and I thought the truth was best. “Andrew.”

“Andrew? But you’re a girl–aren’t you?”

“Inside I am, but my ID says I’m a boy.”

“But those are girl’s jeans, and you’re wearing a bra–are you sure you’re a boy?”

I nodded and cried some more. She proffered more tea and we talked and talked. She told me she was a widow, her husband had been killed in Afghanistan five years ago. I told her about my family and how I’d killed to avenge them and how everyone thought I was crazy and dangerous and unemployable and so I spent every day in the library.

She looked me up and down. “Have you got any proper girl’s clothes?”

“What dresses and things?”

“Yeah, not jeans and hoodies.”

“I have one skirt and top and a pair of shoes–why?”

“I want you to wear them tomorrow and come and see me.”

“Why–so you can laugh at me too?”

“No you silly girl, so I can interview you for a job–that is if you’re looking for one?”

up
217 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Like this..

A nice story to end the day with. I was beginning to wonder when one of the british authors would write about the riots.

That Poor Girl

littlerocksilver's picture

She will have to live with her mistakes; however, I think things will be better. Thank you for an uplifting short tale.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Interesting Mistake

How many lives were saved from poisonous drugs
by this mistake. Murder cannot be condoned but
in this case how many lives were saved by putting
the drug dealer out of business.

well done, dear

thanks for this little pick-me-up

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

A "One -of"?

I really liked this story. It very much feel like a set up for a longer tale. I would love to see it continued and see how "Andrew's" life changes after getting the job. Lots of room there for an interesting storyline.

I'd be fine ...

... either way.

Responses to this tale remind me of comments made on a soliloquy I wrote a few years ago (Confluence). Many wanted to know more, one person said that they thought the story ended at a good place, because each reader could complete the story in their own minds in a way that suited them.

My imagination has already started building several scenarios of how this story could delightfully continue (which I will keep to myself - no fanfiction from me, here.)

Deni

Thank you for a good story,

ALISON

' up to date and believable,hope there is a continuation.

ALISON

I love it!

it was wonderful. I'm glad that things seem to be looking up for her.

I can see this as a one shot, but you have the ability to create characters we can truly sympathize with, and care about. There will be several requests to continue this. I don't know, with Bike being so popular, I could see you as being too busy. Maybe this could be a once-in-a-while story?

Very enjoyable, several thumbs up!

Wren

(I'm not schizophrenic, but I am!)

Shop protection

Interestingly enough, Andrew's defending of the bridal shop reminds me of a real life incident which was relayed on BBC Radio 4's PM programme: a Wolverhampton hairdresser who stopped the rioters from attacking her own shop. The story had apparently made the front page of the day's Express & Star. She's since received a bottle of champagne from the owner of a neighbouring shop which was also avoided by the rioters courtesy of Louise.

Meanwhile, a great story (as always!) and finally hope of redemption for Andrew (Andrea?)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Good ole Angie!

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

As a job interview, that must be pretty unique.

Love it.

Bev.

OXOXOX

bev_1.jpg

This is one of those stories

that could so easily be a series. I liked this one an awful lot especially the down and out candor of the whole thing.

Bailey Summers

Choices

laika's picture
"Most of my friends learned to steal from Woolworth's before they were ten
and somewhere now are grown men;
I can see us now running down the cold High Street
our pockets full of stolen sweets...
It's hard to judge the reason why the children go wrong
But easy enough to shift the blame.
And there's a million different theories, and a million alibies,
but all they do is shift the blame-
You know they shift the blame!"

FRESH, from Out of Borstal (1970)

.

Your heroine wasn't really much of a rioter. And the thing is, given her background she could've been; according to symplistic "hydraulic" theories of personality she'd had enough rotten breaks and lack of nurture in her life to feel embittered enough to riot; to "get what was hers", join in the mayhem, grab that wedding dress and run home with it. But something in her, some combination of qualities kept this from seeming like an option. Maybe something of the romantic in her soul. In some odd way she reminds me a little of Kitten from Breakfast on PLuto, who had gotten in deep with a bunch of violent revolutionary types but was never really one of them. Violence just wasn't in her. That dress shop and what it represented to ....... uh, Andi, a chance for happiness for somebody, even if not her. And so it was beautiful that this virtue she demonstrated paid off for her, a lot better than the momentary fix of some smash-and-grab looting would've, even if she'd gotten away. (I do sympathise with the socially economically marginalized, I've been down and out to a degree, but I'd like to think I would have to be Jean-Valjean starving before I resorted to theft, and wouldn't do it just because everyone else was...). Sweet story with a lot of levels. Working at the shop might be a bittersweet experience for her at times, all those brides she might think she can never join, but my own inner romantic likes to think she'll meet someone and get to use her employee's discount for her own wedding day...
~~hugs, Veronica

.
That song I quoted above (very rare out-of-print album they want too much for on EBAY):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYg3HRPakcQ

I love the way Angharad creates a Character

in just a few lines of words, that cause the readers' minds to complete the details, making a full, 3-dimensional person. This is a skill that good Authors only develop after a lot of hard work of course, which explains why it is so precious (my Preciosssssss Gollom, sssss. What hass she got in her pocketsssiess?.

Concerning poor and disadvanatged people struggling to refrain from taking things when a riot happens, how do you suppose the rich owner people got rich then in the first place? Only by tsking it from other people! The Law was invented by rich people to protect themselves from having their riches taken and shared with poor people - that is why stealing a largish sum gets a far more serious sentance than injuring a child does! Personally I see no serious moral problem with poor folks helping themselves - retail businesses are all insured anyway. But then, as an Anarchist I am a dangerous revolutionary anyway (gr) !

Briar

Briar

Your comment is very disturbing

Assuming that you were being serious in the second part of your comment

I don't think the average small shop owner could be called rich by any stretch of the imagination. Having their shop looted or worse burnt down could easily mean that their cash flow stops for a significant time, insured or not. Bang goes the payment on their home loan or payment on goods bought and so on...

Re the Law vs Justice thing - maybe the Law is an ass, but I'd rather have an somewhat imperfect rule of law than live in a society (or a lack of) where only might rules - sounds like parts of Somalia or Afghanistan at the moment. There are major problems in England at present but they're still nowhere near the scale of those that exist is places where there is no effective legal system at all!

Right time and place ...

... can make such a huge difference in one's life.

I love how this story illustrates that principle.

As an aside, after many seconds or even a few minutes of swinging a bat - keeping the looters at bay - the police show up just in time to keep her from being mobbed. A stroke of luck, that - for more than a few, in real life this week, they were too late. Thus illustrating another principle: when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. (My Colt Pony is only as far as the secret pocket in my bag. And yes, that's legal, here in Arizona.)

Another aside: I was watching some "footage" (no one actually uses real film anymore, do they?) of the police assembling for riot control. There they were, all lined up, shields out, looking much like a modern Legion Centuria. Well, not quite. When you see them advance on the rioters ... have the Brits so quickly lost the lessons learned by the ancients? Do they not know the origins of "close order drill"? Having some in the line advance more quickly than others left gaps in the line that could have been exploited by the rabble, possibly resulting in (unnecessary) injuries to fellow officers. The only way an opponent should end up behind the front rank is by being stepped over by them, with the next rank insuring that they can cause no further harm. (These days that means zip-tying their wrists behind them, rather than running a blade through them ...)

Good job!
Deni

Great story

This was bleaker in outlook than I had anticipated.

The bridal shop, along with the local library was the only highlights of Andi’s day. Now the rioters would never think of looting a library, why should they, it’s only books so nothing there for them. So the bridal shop needed protection to maintain, however tenuously some order to Andi’s life.
Her hidden hopes were reflected in the window display, by saving it, it could be an unexpected future.

A great story Angharad, a bleak start, an unhappy middle, yet a hopeful ending.

Love to all

Anne

Bridal Shop

I hope this is the beginning of a story. It is good in itself, but has good potential to be a larger story. We expect others to be upset or indifferent to us. But now and then someone has their own interest for taking interest in us.

Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

The Rioter's Tale

May she find happiness with her new friend

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Lucky.

Lucky, lucky bitch!

All it takes is one person to give you a break. Just one decent person!!! Just one decent break!!!

I know whereof I speak!

Thanks Angie.

Bev.

XXXXXX

bev_1.jpg