Starship 5

Printer-friendly version

Don't know what you think.
Too contrived?

(and short too:)

==

.

At last the suits were satisfied.

“We have defined suitable coordinates and will start our descend, approximated time estimate to landing, 10 minutes 39 seconds. ”

Jeff felt a great relief hearing it. Into the last he had worried that the suits would find some reason to wait, and maybe even proclaim this survival mode. But now he knew they would at least get down on a planet.

“Did you hear Your Highness?”

“Jeff I told you to stop, I’m no Highness. A countess maybe, or at least I will be one in time, but a princess I’m not.”

Jeff felt himself redden as he sat there staring at the Tri-D.

“And what happened with calling me Janelle?” she continued.

Damn, he still had trouble with saying that.

“I’m sorry My, Janelle, I’m not good with rank, Keep mixing it up.”

“Don’t worry, nobody but us here.”

As they descended the continent the suits had chosen slowly came into focus, growing larger, and larger. The suits seemed to be aiming for a mountainous region, very green at places but mostly of a grey, yellow or brown color interspersed with spots of intense blue, unlike anything Jeff ever had seen.

“Oh, it looks so much like Earth, only bigger.” He heard Janelle say in a surprised voice.

So this is what Earth would look like then. He looked at it with newfound interest, watching the patches of green growing into forest’s and fields, with sprinkles and patches of blue everywhere. Could it be water he wondered as he leaned forward to see better, not that he really had a window to look through. The suit had just placed a holo of the planet, linked to his eyes. So he could, in principle, look anywhere he liked the Tri-D always being in front of him. But he kept forgetting it as he tried to catch a better view.

Finally they landed, on a height, with a green field sloping away from them down into a valley deep under them. And all over this green he could see strange colorful dots, he wondered over them when he once more heard Janelle.

“Flowers Jeff, and so many. There must be wild life here. A whole ecosystem to explore. I wish mother was here to see it.” Then she stopped, struck again by her memories of her, and her mother, exploring the botanic delights of a new planet together with their retinue. Jeff who could feel something amiss, cleared his throat saying.

“Yes, there must be Janelle, ah, when do you think we can get out of the suits?”

He thought he heard something suspiciously alike a snivel, but then her voice came back, as cool as ever.

“I don’t know Jeff, it’s up to our suits.”

“I know, but I really need to get out and breathe some air that hasn't been recycled.”

In fact he needed it badly. He was feeling like a sardine in a tin can, and it had become much worse since they had landed. Not that he minded traveling, without that he would still have been a fugitive, constantly running from authority and the mines. But being enclosed in a suit made him claustrophobic, and he wanted out.

“Can’t see any dangers here.” He muttered to himself as he tried to relax.

“It’s only a couple of days Jeff, give them some time to prepare.”

“I’m sorry My Lady, but I really need to get out. I don’t think I can stand this much longer”

Jeff’s suit who constantly was monitoring his levels had noticed signs of adrenaline, as well as other signal substances rising, indicating a state of elevating unease. He communicated his findings to the Royal who already had started to erect a building, using the same type of wrap as he had seen them use in Space. But it wasn’t the same. This one, once inflated, started to change color blending in with the background making it difficult to see where the ground ended and the wrap began. Once up the Royal said.

“My Lady, there is no need for you being in your suits, as long as you stay inside the wrap you will be safe. And you too Jeff.”

So, for the first time since the ship they were able to meet in person. The inside of the wrap wasn’t much to see though, there was something resembling beds and it was divided into two rooms and one small closet, that he guessed, probably was just that as it had something most reminding him of a openended tube stretching up from the floor. There was one wonderful thing about the wrap though. It let in air and light. By touching the frame you could make a part of it transparent , only a small patch, but it still gave you that feeling of not being locked in, but in a tent.

“Ahh, at last I can breathe.” Jeff said as he sat down. “I was starting to feel buried alive.”

“Yes, I know, it’s better now.” Janelle hadn’t had the same experience but then again, she had grown up with her suit, using it for extended periods in dangerous milieus, accompanying her mother and her retinue, in search for new fauna to bring home. And her suit was much more comfortable, spacious, offering a better comfort. But she could understand that, to someone not used to it, it might become a disquieting experience.

As he looked at her he could see how tired she was. He guessed it had to be the ringlet, because ever since waking up in that sickbay he had gotten flashes of how she felt, growing in intensity. Sometimes they happened without him noticing, being first as he looked back at it that he would realize that he had been somewhere else. It was a most unnerving experience, but it also gave him a much deeper understanding of her feelings and needs. He was normally more of a offstandish sort of guy. Didn’t really need, or want, others company to make the time pass. Much of it learnt on the streets of course where your friend could become your betrayer, in a instant, at the mere sight of a gem. So he had learnt to keep people at a distance from an early age, detaching himself, but he knew that she felt it different.

“Janelle, can you take a look. I think I bumped my head.”

It was the first thing that came into his mind, and not particularly clever either. But it seemed to work, or maybe she too wanted it. As she looked he could feel her fingers light touch on his skin and without thinking about it he laid his hand over her and pulled her down to him.

“Hi.” Was all he found to say, then he lost himself in her eyes again, just as that first time.

Janelle, who knew she should feel enraged at his audacity, in its place only found a great relief.

“Hi you too.” She said, relaxing a little as he didn’t try to do anything more than gaze, his eyes having a intensity to them that seemed to peel her away, layer by layer. But it was a nice feeling, she could feel that he meant her no harm with it. After some time she could see his intensity diminish as he seemed to get sleepy but as she tried to move away he held her closer to him.

“Please stay, just for a while. It’s nice, you beside me.”

And she, she found that she had to agree.

It was nice.

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very nice!

Part of me wonders, could this be the Earth of the distant past? The other part keeps saying, No, Janelle said it was larger than Earth. I still get the feeling that they are "Adam and Eve".

Of course, I could be wrong. There's always a first time!

LOL!

Wren

Well, Wren...

...After you mentioned it, I find it hard *not* to see the two stories as being somewhat similar. Probably something to that... All told, still a good story, even if each installment is a little on the short side. Thats ok though, it just makes me want the next one even more. X-P

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Does That...

...make the ringlet God? Or is it the Royal suit? (Does that make the ringlet and the two suits a holy trinity?)

I think it's safe to say this isn't Earth, present or past, though that doesn't preclude their becoming the progenitors of a civilization on this new world. It'd seem they're unlikely to be found, or to find their way back, if it took a space anomaly of an unknown kind just to get there. (However, the Portals are still something of a wild card; there may even be one on or near the planet somewhere that the suits were unable to sense.)

But there's more to this. Remember the comment a chapter or two back that this world looks as if it was terraformed to an extent beyond the ability of human technology. There's a possibility that this world (either as a Gaea-type entity or someone or something in control of it) analyzed them when they arrived (or determined somehow that they were coming) and set up the planet to suit them. The motivation remains to be seen -- I recall one story where the planet was lonely and wanted intelligent company; quite a few stories where it was setting some sort of trap by disguising itself as an Eden. (A planet, after all, has plenty of time to wait for a breeding pair to turn into lots of people.)

Plenty of other possibilities, too, of course. I'm looking forward to finding out where this goes.

Eric

?

It's similar to another?
Didn't plan it so at least :)

Not that I planned to write any more than the two first chapters, thinking of it.

Which one?
Give me a link please.

If so, we'll have to change course.

I think it was a short story in Playboy magazine some 30 years

ago or so. The Apotheosis of Myra I think was the title.

John in Wauwatosa.

P.S. I think I commented before but what DID that bonding or whatever it was called with the alien ringlet creature do to him? And being BC where is the TG?

-- grin --

Interesting stuff so far.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

hm

I don't know.

I don't plagiarize, except from myself now and then, and that all writers do, knowingly or not. But if it seems 'the same' I would really like to see it myself. Reminds me of that guy that wrote a SF, somewhere in the fifties/sixties, in where he had someone build a A-bomb, in the process getting himself into deep sh* with the American government, as they found his knowledge of how to do it all too perfect. It can happen I guess, and probably does now and again. But it's a first for me.

PS: I'll put this one on hold, need that link first, to see for myself.

Actually, it was in 1944, before Hiroshima ...

That an author for Astounding Science Fiction magazine wrote a story that was too close, in the government's opinion. He, and his editor, John Campbell were cleared of leaking secrets, when the author proved that all of his background came from magazine articles and books in Public Libraries.

The author was Cleve Cartmill. The incident is briefly mentioned here ...
http://www.analogsf.com/information/what_is_asf.shtml
with a more here ...
http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0310/ref.shtml
http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0311/ref2.shtml

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

The comment about a sentient planet

is why I was mentioning the short story from thet 30 someyear old Playboy.

No relation to your story at all.

It's very good if you can find the tale, though.

Some aspect of nearly all space sci-fi HAS been done before, it almost must have been.

So it is how your *take* differs in it's elements and how you blend them into a whole is what matters and makes it unique.

I'm not a huge reader of sci-fi but I don't recall any particular story being like this. Heck I have at home an early 1960's child's reading magazine with the story of two teenaged space cadets -- and no I don't mean bimbos -- one falls out of a spaceship at Mars and the other grabs a survival kit and jumps after him. Through the bravery and smarts of the one they make it safely to one of the moons and set up a rescue signal, surviving on his wits until they are recued.I think the twist was they had gotten poor marks in a school survival *test*.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Yor Silly!

Look at the first comment. The "other story" that this is similar to is "Adam and Eve", a preliterate, new (or possibly old) stone-age, middle eastern, legend or myth.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Are you nuts?

Heck, I was thinking Blue Lagoon! Space the final frontier, planets as islands, a pair of teens marooned without recourse to civilization. That's a good thing! If there were a bunch of kids then it would be Lord of the Flies. No sex scenes, and a lot of yucky stuff. No, Blue Lagoon in space is just fine. LOL! :)

Hugs
Grover

PS: If it was just one of them and horse, it would be the Black Stallion. :)

Just one and a horse?

Grover,

That would not be The Black Stallion. That would be interspieces and kinky. I mean to heck with if Bert and Ernie on Sesamie Street are a gay couple, it's Mz Piggy and Kermit that is *unnatural*.

-- snicker --

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Stole that one from Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

John in Wauwatosa

I wonder how TG will come

I wonder how TG will come into this story...

Thank you for writing this intersting story,
Beyogi

Thanks

I'm working on a new chapter, the problem is that it's becoming complicated. I need to get some structure to the story skeleton. As it is it points in many ways :) Also I need to understand what I wrote so far, so that I don't forget what I said before. Preferably it all should make sense somewhere, it surely should be a problem less if it did?

Missed the one about the bible, or pre-bible Renee. What I, and I guess most writers, are allergic too is the idea that we 'steal stuff'. Not that we don't, it's inevitable when you write, as you build on what you learnt and imagine, and that can come from all kinds of things. Books, movies, your life, others lives and stories, etc etc. But we all like to see it as 'our own stuff', and it is, because you created it, except in those few cases where someone really went and just 'copied'.

Anyway, a chapter is coming, as soon as i made sense of what I wrote so far. :)
And thanks for the comments.

Yor

(And Eric, yours is a most vivid imagination, keep it goin:)