The Pregnant Boy -2- Pineapple

Printer-friendly version

Justin stayed so long in the bathroom that Pete knocked on the door. "Everything okay in there, Juice?"

"No," said Justin. "Leave me alone."

"Yike," said Pete but he did not knock again.

The Pregnant Boy

by Erin Halfelven

Justin had cried himself out, he had no more tears. He'd thrown up twice more, eventually bringing up the peanut butter toast and fruit he had eaten for breakfast along with a quantity of a bitter green substance that he imagined tasted like a broken heart.

He stared at himself in the mirror over the small olive green sink. His complexion looked blotchy, the tissue around his eyes swollen. He wore his hair in a block cut just below his ears but at the moment it stood up in all directions. He made an effort to comb his hair using his fingers.

Distantly, he heard Vince and Pete talking.

"I got off grounding with my mom for the trip, however we do it. We got three choices," said Pete. "We take a bus to the mall and try to meet the girls after their movie."

"Fuck a bus," said Vince.

"Or we wait for my brother to get back, he took the van this morning, and maybe we can talk him into taking us somewhere."

"Fuck your brother," said Vince.

"Or we hang around here until Mom tosses us out cause she's tired of your filthy mouth."

"Fuck that," said Vince.

"You lucky you didn't say it, man," said Pete.

"Dude," said Vince. "I like your mom." He paused. "But not that much."

"Cabron," said Pete.

Vince just laughed. After a moment, so did Pete.

#

In the bathroom, Justin closed the toilet seat and sat on it to mope. They make jokes and insult each other then they just laugh. I've never been able to do that. I don't understand how it works. He dabbed at his face with a washcloth he had dampened, hoping he could get the swelling down so he could leave the bathroom without anyone seeing he'd been crying.

I thought I'd finally figured it out. I asked Zoe for a date and we went out and had a lot of fun. I called her a few times after that and she seemed happy to hear from me. He sighed. Then we had a second date cause she asked me and everything was wonderful. We even....

Someone tapped lightly on the door. Surely not Pete, thought Justin.

"Are you still in there, Justin?" Mrs. Marquez asked through the door.

"Yes," he answered.

"Are you all right?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Just got sick at my stomach. Again."

"Again?" Mrs. Marquez sounded concerned.

"I was kind of sick early this morning," Justin explained.

"Do you want to go home?" she asked.

Justin hesitated. But the last thing he wanted was to go to the mall and be the fifth wheel when his two friends met their girlfriends. "I guess so," he said.

"Let me do a few things and I can run you home," said Mrs. Marquez. "If you're feeling ill you don't want to do any walking in this heat."

"Okay," said Justin.

"Five minutes," she said and then she left him alone, again.

#

They all left in the car about ten minutes later. Mrs. Marquez had been persuaded to take Pete and Vince to the mall after dropping Justin off at his house. Vince claimed the front seat of the gray Volvo, next to Mrs. Marquez.

"You always looks so nice, Mrs. Marquez," said Vince. "Even in this heat, how do you do it?"

Mrs. Marquez laughed, she was on to Vince. "I keep young men around to flatter me and build up my ego, does wonders for the complexion," she teased.

Vince showed his dimples. "I'll have to suggest that to my mom."

In the back seat, Pete looked at Justin's pale blotchy face. "I know you're a white kid, Juice, but you look like you been out on a date with a vampire."

Justin shook his head. Zoe's not a vampire, he thought.

"You really sick?" asked Pete.

Justin nodded.

Pete made a cross with his fingers. "Don't give me what you got, man," he said.

Justin looked at Pete, opened his mouth and closed his eyes -- and faked a cough.

"Aggh!" said Pete. "Mama, the Juice is making me sick back here."

"Leave the poor boy alone, Pedro," said Mrs. Marquez.

Walking, it was less than eight blocks between Justin's house and the Marquez apartment. Driving, it was more like twenty because of one-way streets and no useful shortcuts through parking lots and alleys.

#

Mrs. Marquez said something to encourage him as she let him out in front of his house but Justin did not really hear it. He smiled and waved anyway and Pete and Vince called out to him as he turned away.

"See you Tuesday," said Vince.

"Unless you got to see a doctor," said Pete. "Maybe you should."

The Volvo drove away as Justin walked up to the front door of the pale green house where he and his father had lived since the accident. It was all on one level which made it easier for his dad's wheelchair. The old house had been built on a hillside on three levels and had four interior staircases and three on the outside. He had loved that house and had lived in it all his life until his mom and sister died.

The insurance had bought this house after his father got out of the hospital and Justin's aunt and cousins now lived in the bigger, older house. They were paying the mortgage after having refinanced at a lower rate.

When Justin and his cousin Leia both finished college or turned twenty-five, the family would decide what to do with the house, finally. Justin wanted it back, though he had never told anyone this. He wanted to get married and raise a family in the hillside home where he had been a little kid. Leia wanted to be a journalist and travel around the world shooting videos about villagers and crocodiles, so Justin thought it would eventually work out.

Inside the ranchstyle green house, Tom, the Great Pyrenees woofed. He heard and recognized Justin's steps on the walk outside. Justin smiled, feeling a bit better. He opened the door carefully to keep Tom from knocking him down with a patented Giant Poofy Dog welcome. Nothing could prevent a thorough slobbering, though, as Justin squeezed inside. Clouds of dislodged white fur billowed around Tom, the heat outside made the big dog shed enough to build several smaller dogs each week. Time to vacuum the dog again, thought Justin.

"Are you back already?" his father called from inside. "Thought you were going to be gone all day."

Tom bounced on his front paws and made tiny little woofs to express his delight in Justin being home. You couldn't help smiling at a big dog who acted just like a tiny Pomeranian.

"Yeah, I'm back," said Justin. "And you know what? I'm hungry now." He mostly intended to distract his father from asking what had happened, but it was true -- he was hungry, starving in fact. "Have we got any pineapple?" he asked.

up
265 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The title is definitely

LibraryGeek's picture

The title is definitely leading, and he's being sick as a dog. And he did something with Zoe, something special. Don't see no fantasy or science fiction tags, which makes it more problematical for his being preggers rather than just sympathy pains. And now he's got cravings for weird food; pineapple is high in potassium, could be good for him.

But if this keeps up he's gonna have to get seen by a doctor. That could be interesting.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

I don't know

He said Zoe wasn't a vampire which tends to make me think she's something else, perhaps supernatural. I have to say I'm really curious about what comes next! Erin might be withholding information or perhaps she doesn't know either. Goodness knows that's happened to me before. I'll be half finished with it and then my muse lets me what's really going on. LOL!

hugs
Grover

The Pregnant Boy -2- Pineapple

This story is fun.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

cravings

hmm... well, at least pineapple is good for him. Hopefully, someone notices he's in trouble and takes him to see a doc.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Cravings

terrynaut's picture

Oh no! I'm craving pineapple now. You don't suppose Justin's condition is contagious, do you? Yelp! Heh.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Mystery

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

This is turning out to be an interesting mystery, particularly with the absence of sci-fi or magic tags (so far!). Justin definitely sounds like a girl in love who had her heart broken this chapter and it makes me curious to meet Zoe.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Besides the title saying

Besides the title saying he's pregnant, I have absolutely no idea what's going on... I hope next chapter will follow soon :--)

Grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

Pineapple makes me fart! D:

Extravagance's picture

Fresh Pineapple, that is. Tinned Pineapple doesn't affect me. In fact, I rather like it. =)

Anyway, Zoe is the father? I hope she will take responsibility, and support Justin with his pregnancy.

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Well, it seems to be ...

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

Mostly in the title.

Morning sickness and doing something 'secial' with Zoe all seems to point to something odd going on. Let's hope it is a pregnancy, it would explain a lot.

Liking this.

XZXX.

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Pregnant boys?

Let's hope Justin doesn't have cancer...

"It's not a tuma!"

Lisa Schwarzenegger

enjoyable

fun well written story, enjoyable.

Whatever path is chosen, live to experience at its fullest.

RL Role reversal?

WebDeb's picture

Have they been switched at birth and mantaining some sort of deception?

Is he a she and she a he?

Probably a silly theory but the tale is infuriating as there are not many clues being divulged.

Certainly got my attention as this plot leaves me trying to figure it out long after I read each instalment

A conundrum waiting to be solved.

I like this

Raff01's picture

Not sure where you're headed with this story, but I like it so far. Also very impressed that in just two hours you had over 1600 views of this story. Wow. I think the best I got is one story at just over 2000 and that's been almost 3 weeks. This is what I hope to achieve at some point. good stories that people flock to

You have our attention Erin!

But I think you are leading us around just for fun.

"Time to vaccum the dog", I'm wondering if I'm the sucker?

Good story.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

My mom used to vacuum the dog quite regularly

erin's picture

The dog did not like this and would head for the underbed sanctuary as soon as the vacuum came out. That dog was a spaniel-chihuahua mix, both breeds notable for shedding. Now imagine a 130 pound animal that sheds fistfuls of hair daily in hot weather. People who own Great Poofies really do at least THINK about using a vacuum on the Little Bears. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

We have a Siberian Husky...

And to be honest, I don't think any of us even thought of it until now. Now I'm wondering if I should ask mom if she's ever thought about vacuuming Kylie.

Abigail Drew.

My mom had an Electrolux

My mom had an Electrolux vacuum that had a special attachment for vacuuming pets. It even sucked up Fleas !
Of course, our 175# Rhodesian Ridgeback objected.

Hugs,
Karen

Dog Grooming

I used to have a ninety pound Rotty that I vacuumed once a week to keep the black hairs from showing on my carpet and the furniture! At first he didn't like it because of the noise but after he felt the gentle vacuuming on his back he actually did a Rotty Purr lol! He would arch his ack in near extasy and close his eyes half way and do that gentle Rotty Purr.

Pineapple huh? Mix that with Peanut Butter and Bananas ,MMMMMMMMMM! Yep he is definitely pregnant isn't he? LOL!

Hugs

Vivien

Pineapple

I love pineapple two but the title is leading so I’m interested in finding out what happened.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Pineapple

Is the food of the gods never a bad time for it.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna